Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ned Harkness to be honored at RPI

Posted by ursusminor 
Ned Harkness to be honored at RPI
Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: November 30, 2006 11:48AM

Ned Harkness is to be the third honoree in RPI's Ring of Honor. [www.rpiathletics.com] Why the 'Tute is doing this during the Colgate game instead of waiting a day until Cornell is in town is beyond me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2006 12:03PM by ursusminor.

Re: Ned Harkness to be honored at RPI
Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:11PM

ursusminor
Ned Harkness is to be the third honoree in RPI's Ring of Honor. [www.rpiathletics.com] Why the 'Tute is doing this during the Colgate game instead of waiting a day until Cornell is in town is beyond me.

It's possible that didn't fit with Ned's schedule.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 30, 2006 12:19PM

Beeeej
ursusminor

True, but do you think that Ned has a busy schedule these days?

Date: November 30, 2006 12:27PM

ursusminor
Beeeej
ursusminor

I don't keep the man's calendar, I'm offering a hypothetical where you didn't seem to see any possibilities. :-)

Maybe, in fact, Ned declined to receive such an honor during the Cornell game, out of respect to Cornell. I would believe that.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:37PM

I would have been surprised if RPI would have held this during the RPI-Cornell. Presumably the RPI Ring of Honor is meant to honor achievements at RPI, not elsewhere. If Cornell is in the building it will naturally bring some focus on his accomplishments in Ithaca, which wouldn't be the point.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:47PM

KeithK
I would have been surprised if RPI would have held this during the RPI-Cornell. Presumably the RPI Ring of Honor is meant to honor achievements at RPI, not elsewhere. If Cornell is in the building it will naturally bring some focus on his accomplishments in Ithaca, which wouldn't be the point.

Maybe. But the Colgate fans simply won't care about the ceremony, whereas the Cornell fans would appreciate the honor being bestowed on one of their own and join in the celebration.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-213-234.myvzw.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:47PM

Honoring Harkness during the Cornell game would remind RPI faithful about how they lost a good coach because they were paying him such a pittance.

Date: November 30, 2006 12:53PM

KeithK
That makes a lot of sense. I also thought that it might have been that they figured that RPI would get a good crowd for Cornell anyway, and this would improve attendance vs. Colgate, but your explanation is better.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2006 12:54PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:58PM

ugarte
But the Colgate fans simply won't care about the ceremony...
Colgate fans?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 01:49PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Colgate fans?

You know, the drunk asshole students who show up for one game in February somewhat aware there's something going on involving ice and a puck.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 01:53PM

French Rage
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Colgate fans?

You know, the drunk asshole students who show up for one game in February somewhat aware there's something going on involving ice and a puck.
That was pretty close to verbatim what I chose not to post (since I've never been to Starr and only know this by reputation).

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 03:09PM

Maybe. But the Colgate fans simply won't care about the ceremony, whereas the Cornell fans would appreciate the honor being bestowed on one of their own and join in the celebration.[/quote]

Any fans of college hockey, regardless of their rooting interest (yes, including Colgate) should appreciate Ned's accomplishments.

If they're too young to rememeber him, as obviously many are, it's a good idea to do some research to learn about Ne'd successes as well as his character. He certainly was a character.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 12:07AM

billhoward
Honoring Harkness during the Cornell game would remind RPI faithful about how they lost a good coach because they were paying him such a pittance.

Sports Illustrated said it was because they were too far from Canada. rolleyes
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2006 12:09AM by Swampy.

Date: December 01, 2006 04:50AM

Swampy
billhoward

Sports Illustrated said it was because they were too far from Canada. rolleyes
I arrived at RPI in the Fall of 1964. Upperclassmen told me that Harkness left because it was easier to get hockey players admitted into Cornell. Later on, it became apparent that what this meant was that the narrow choice of majors at RPI was the problem. I have also heard that it was the pay.

The distance to Canada? rolleyes The closest part of Canada to Ithaca appears to be in the middle of Lake Ontario. :) Not counting that, the difference isn't that great.

Perhaps in honor of Uncle Ned, I should change my avatar again. The current one shows Doug Hearns scoring the overtime goal vs. Cornell and Ken Dryden on 12/4/1968, one of the most memorable games that I have attended. The defender on the left is Bruce Pattison. IIRC, this was Cornell's last ECAC loss under Harkness.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 10:16AM

ursusminor
Perhaps in honor of Uncle Ned, I should change my avatar again. The current one shows Doug Hearns scoring the overtime goal vs. Cornell and Ken Dryden on 12/4/1968, one of the most memorable games that I have attended. The defender on the left is Bruce Pattison. IIRC, this was Cornell's last ECAC loss under Harkness.

For the remainder of Ned's tenure, Cornell went 54-1. The only loss was to Denver in Colorado Springs, in the 1969 NCAA final.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 10:37AM

Trotsky
ursusminor

For the remainder of Ned's tenure, Cornell went 54-1. The only loss was to Denver in Colorado Springs, in the 1969 NCAA final.

I can only dream as to how much fun the USCHO forums would have been if they existed then.

The wikipedia entry on Ned Harkness is pretty weak.
[en.wikipedia.org]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2006 11:48AM by nyc94.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 12:40PM

nyc94
[en.wikipedia.org]

I see one inaccuracy? Anyone? :)

Date: December 01, 2006 12:48PM

DeltaOne81
nyc94
[en.wikipedia.org]

It leaves out his NCAA hockey championship at RPI.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 01:48PM

Beeeej
DeltaOne81
nyc94
[en.wikipedia.org]

It leaves out his NCAA hockey championship at RPI.
It must have been written by either a Cornell fan or a lacrosse fan. It also omits his tenure at Union, not that much occurred except for his getting in trouble with the Union heirarchy.

Before RichS shows up ;), the article states that Cornell had in 1970 the "only undefeated ice hockey team in NCAA history". That should be the "only undefeated NCAA hockey champion".
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2006 01:56PM by ursusminor.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: December 01, 2006 02:06PM

Beeeej
ursusminor
Beeeej
ursusminor

I don't keep the man's calendar, I'm offering a hypothetical where you didn't seem to see any possibilities. :-)

Maybe, in fact, Ned declined to receive such an honor during the Cornell game, out of respect to Cornell. I would believe that.

It will be curious to see if he hangs around for the Saturday game, though. I'd be amazed if he doesn't.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 03:04PM

DeltaOne81
nyc94
[en.wikipedia.org]

He coached lacrosse at Cornell for three years, not two.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2006 03:18PM

ursusminor
The current one shows Doug Hearns scoring the overtime goal vs. Cornell and Ken Dryden on 12/4/1968, one of the most memorable games that I have attended.

That must also have been the last GWG for RPI against Cornell until the one scored with the stick that was mailed to Bob Stagat (may be rest in peace), right?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2006 03:21PM

Well, it's Wikipedia, people. Fix it!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 03:32PM

ursusminor
Before RichS shows up ;), the article states that Cornell had in 1970 the "only undefeated ice hockey team in NCAA history". That should be the "only undefeated NCAA hockey champion".

That would be the one I was referring to. Leaving out a title at RPI may be incoomplete, but its not 'inaccurate'.

jtwcornell91

Well it wouldn't be very sporting of me to say there was an error, and then fix it before anyone could guess, now would it? ;)

Its fixed now. And I confirmed Al's mention of three years, and fixed that too.

Date: December 01, 2006 04:18PM

jtwcornell91
ursusminor
The current one shows Doug Hearns scoring the overtime goal vs. Cornell and Ken Dryden on 12/4/1968, one of the most memorable games that I have attended.

That must also have been the last GWG for RPI against Cornell until the one scored with the stick that was mailed to Bob Stagat (may be rest in peace), right?
Bob had the stick from 12/4/1968. See [lists.maine.edu]. I hope that his wife didn't discard it.

The game two years later was a veritable rout by RPI. :-D (I'll omit my memories of the two games RPI played Cornell during Cornell's perfect season, especially the disaster at MSG.)

Date: December 01, 2006 04:24PM

DeltaOne81
ursusminor

That would be the one I was referring to. Leaving out a title at RPI may be incoomplete, but its not 'inaccurate'.

jtwcornell91

Well it wouldn't be very sporting of me to say there was an error, and then fix it before anyone could guess, now would it? ;)

You have introduced a new error. RPI was not in the 1952 NCAA Tourney although Harkness did take them there three times: 1953, 1954, and 1961. Since I am an RPI grad and can's write a coherent sentence, I'll let someone else fix it. :-P

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 04:32PM

ursusminor
DeltaOne81
ursusminor

jtwcornell91

You have introduced a new error. RPI was not in the 1952 NCAA Tourney although Harkness did take them there three times: 1953, 1954, and 1961. Since I am an RPI grad and can's write a coherent sentence, I'll let someone else fix it. :-P

I did that and I'll fix it. My eyes wandered over one column to RS champs on Ned's USCHO page.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 06:11PM

nyc94
Trotsky
ursusminor

I can only dream as to how much fun the USCHO forums would have been if they existed then.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Harkness record was great then, would be great now, but it happened while John Wooden rolled up, what, nine NCAA titles in ten years. Maybe people thought a really good coach could run the table multiple years in a row.

"How much fun the USCHO forums would be" if they existed then? You mean how insufferable Cornell fans would be? If we had eLynah back then, poor RichS ... at least there'd be a cause for the nocturnal uresis issue in the college years.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 07:33PM

nyc94
ursusminor
DeltaOne81

I did that and I'll fix it. My eyes wandered over one column to RS champs on Ned's USCHO page.

Yeah, how dare you accuse me :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login