Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who sits...?

Posted by bandrews37 
Who sits...?
Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 02:54AM

Glover's due back after Christmas (good to see him walking around without the crutches last weekend).

Question is, who sits when he's ready to go? At this point, I think only Seminoff and Krantz are set in the lineup. Nash has shown flashes, but he's been pretty inconsistent. Krueger's not done much to impress me. Davenport's been okay, but not special and the same can be said for Salmela. At least those two have avoided spending time in the box....

Does Schafer rotate the other four out and keep Glover in the lineup? Or has someone played poorly enough to earn a permanent spot behind the glass?

Re: Who sits...?
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 09:35AM

Between Salmela and Krueger

No way does Davenport come out.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 28, 2006 09:42AM

I agree, although I am going to say its probobly going to be krueger more than salmela.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 09:48AM

I'd sit Krueger, though he hasn't been bad.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: November 28, 2006 10:49AM

from what I saw saturday night and have seen the last few years... Salmela deffinatly deserves a shot in the lineup for an extended period of time

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 11:14AM

I really can't see Salmela coming out; he's always been decent when given ice time, and as a senior, I can't see Coach pulling him completely unless he has some major screwup.

Agree completely that Seminoff and Krantz are set. Nash may be inconsistent, but I like him out there when he does have those great flashes. Davenport may not be perfect, but I'd guess Krueger, simply because of age and inexperience (Nash could potentially go in this category, but I think those great moments will keep his spot for him).

I could see Krueger maybe dressing for a few games, but I don't see him having a permanent spot on the lineup this year. I don't think he's even been given a lot of ice time so far this year, at least not a lot that I've really noticed? He's certainly not bad, but I think the others are a wiser pick.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.wireless.telerama.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 12:16PM

Is it just me, or is Krantz our best D-man, period?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: November 28, 2006 12:33PM

Ben Rocky 04

I thought he was the clear 2nd best d-man until I witnessed his poor play this weekend. I think the #1 is is Seminoff by a mile. With Krantz and Davenport vying for 2nd best. Krantz has a better shot and is a faster skater, but Seminoff has him beat in every other facet of the game.

I agree with the consensus that it will come down to Krueger and Salmela. I think a lot of it will depend on how Krueger plays until Glover comes back. Personally, I think Salmela will be the odd man out. He sees the least amount of ice time of the top 6. I don't think the fact that he is a senior will factor into Schafer's decision at all. He puts the players on the ice that will give the team the best chance to win.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 02:48PM by redhair34.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 12:37PM

Ben Rocky 04

Krantz is solid whereas Semi is a bit feisty, but a lot of the time I think Semi's aggressiveness works to help us (see that post in another topic that I'm too lazy to try to find, about how being aggressive can raise morale of our team AND get the other team to fear us or take some penalties of our own). I don't think I could pick one over the over. Krantz is very steady and dependable, but Semi has some great moments that I think balance out to make them fairly equal as great defenders.

I talked about this unpredictable nature as being a negative for Krueger but a positive for Semi, so I want to clarify before someone complains: I think Semi has a lot more great moments than Krueger, and I think overall he's more disciplined just from experience. Nothing against Krueger at all; I actually think a little time will turn him into a great D who plays similar to Semi.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 12:42PM by las224.

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 01:47PM

Agreed 100%.

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.uml.edu)
Date: November 28, 2006 01:51PM

My gut tells me Krueger. I sometimes feel like I notice him too much on the defensive end of the ice, for turnovers not takeaways. That could be the result of added pressure of playing a large role on defense. I mean look at Seminoff last year. Thrust in as a freshmen logging a lot of minutes he couldn't stop taking penalties. This year he is playing #1 type defense, although I admit there is just as much pressure on him. Maybe with age does come wisdom.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 02:00PM

Krantz has the edge over Seminoff in puckhandling, Seminoff is better on the defensive end and hits more aggressively. Krantz is bigger.

They're our top two, in my opinion. Hard to say who is better.

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2006 02:21PM

plus/minus so far:

Krantz*: +5
Seminoff*: +5
Salmela: +4
Krueger: +1
Davenport: 0
Nash: 0

*team leaders (along with Mugford)

Also, Salmela has considerably less penalty minutes than each of the other five defensemen.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2006 02:39PM

oceanst41
My gut tells me Krueger. I sometimes feel like I notice him too much on the defensive end of the ice, for turnovers not takeaways. That could be the result of added pressure of playing a large role on defense. I mean look at Seminoff last year. Thrust in as a freshmen logging a lot of minutes he couldn't stop taking penalties. This year he is playing #1 type defense, although I admit there is just as much pressure on him. Maybe with age does come wisdom.

The thing with Krueger is that he DOESN'T take the penalties Seminoff did. Last year the game hadn't truly begun until Jared took a seat for something (38 penalties in 35 games). Krueger has 5/10 in 10 GP. For what it's worth the other D-men are: Davenport 6/12(10), Nash 5/10(10), Krantz 5/10(10), Seminoff 5/10(10), Salmela 2/4(10).

Count me in the group that thinks Salmela is odd man out if it's him vs. Kreuger. Krueger strikes me as having a very promising future as a solid stay at home defenseman whereas Salmela hasn't impressed me much in three years. Maybe it's the number, but he makes me think Brian McMeekin-- a guy who flies under the radar and is very quietly an excellent defenseman.

At any rate, let's hope the "who sits" question is one we can continue to ask. The team can't really afford injuries of any kind on the defesive end.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: November 28, 2006 03:15PM

Seminoff is one of the few people left in the game of hockey that can throw a nice hip check.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 05:35PM

Avash '05
plus/minus so far:

Krantz*: +5
Seminoff*: +5
Salmela: +4
Krueger: +1
Davenport: 0
Nash: 0

*team leaders (along with Mugford)
Yeah, but they don't count penalties in +/-.

Posted by: las224 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2006 02:57PM

Article in the Sun today about Krueger that was pretty praiseworthy. While I don't necessarily trust the opinion of the columnist, Schafer was pretty complementary toward him. So... now I don't know who sits.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2006 03:47PM

las224
Article in the Sun today about Krueger that was pretty praiseworthy. While I don't necessarily trust the opinion of the columnist, Schafer was pretty complementary toward him. So... now I don't know who sits.

Here's the link: [cornellsun.com]

Sun
However, with 10 penalty minutes on the season and a penchant for bruising opposing forwards, few would accuse Krueger’s game of being purely finesse.

I haven't seen much of this bruising play. But, as a freshman, Krueger's done what we've needed him to do with Glover out.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2006 04:43PM

Most of Krueger's penalties have been hooking and holding calls: I think he, like all freshman defensemen seem to, is just having a tough time adjusting to the college game. I agree, he definitly isn't a bruiser. He will probobly be the first to come out of the lineup when Glover returns, unless he starts significantly outplaying Salmela.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login