Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quinnipac and fans are for real

Posted by billhoward 
Quinnipac and fans are for real
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2006 12:19PM

Quinnipiac's charming Northford Ice Pavilion with stands along one side only. No chance of fish reaching the ice during the Harvard game unless they're first pureed.

Quinnipiac fans are not as high-class or gifted as we well-bred Cornellians are. (Sniff.) Maybe they don't know which end of the martini glass to hold upright and wouldn't know what to do with an ascot let alone spell ascot with the right number of S's. What's the line about the aggressive go-getters Enterprise hires to run its rental shops: "The half that makes the upper half of the graduating class possible"? That could be QU. But still:

The Quinnipiac fans are passionate about hockey. They care about the team. Navy with yellow and white makes a reasonable uniform color. There was energy. A lot of QU fans showed for the Saturday Cornell game even though the college was sent home Friday for a week-long Thanksgiving break (hmm, not a bad idea). There seemed to be a good turnout of older-than-students fans who were either alumni or townspeople or players' parents. The team seems to care about the fans (witness the stick salute after the game). Which of the QU cheers should we object to: "You suck"? "Warm up the bus?" "Overrated" "That wasn't a trip!"? "Sieve"? (They did seem discouraged that no part of the national anthem mentions "Bobcats." Bummer.)

At Quinnipiac, students are getting, at lower cost, many of the benefits of a Yale education, such as proximity to New Haven. (The home page of the QU website Saturday read, "Students give Quinnipiac high marks." Sort of like Harvard if one reversed subject and predicate.) Not every one of the QU men in the stands showed the benefits of proper diet and excercise. We should talk. The QU players perhaps have developed an affection for the rink; maybe it's the fishnet along the side ("gee, just like mom used to wear to work.";) There was no QU band, just loud recorded music, sort of like we were at a minor league hockey game. The Bobcast mascot was okay but when it (he? she?) started the chicken dance, I did wish Connecticut didn't make it so difficult to carry handguns. I would've settled for a taser on the set to: Pacify Charging Elephant in Rut.

By later in the season, Quinnipiac will be in a new, ~4,000-seat arena [Edit: 3,286 seats, at TD Banknorth Sports Center] with a good team capable of playing against most of the best college teams in America, and perhaps filling the stands with energy. Isn't that what the ECAC needs more of?
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2006 02:09PM by billhoward.

Re: Quinnipac and fans are for real
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: November 19, 2006 01:33PM

billhoward

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2006 08:51PM

Dude, CT has one of the most lax handgun laws in the Northeast (barring VT which has none to speak of - concealed carry wherever you want, whenever you want, whoever wants to). It's basically a shall-issue state. You have no excuses.

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2006 02:58AM

Bunch of rude, obnoxious thugs is what they were. Topher Scott gets clotheslined and sent to the box for diving... Seminoff gets his stick held with the referee no more than 10 feet away and no whistle... The fans? Not much better. To them, every shot was going in, whether it was five feet wide or not, and every move was something Gretzky would have pulled, never mind the fact their guy lost the puck while showing off. Ignorant, uneducated buncha pricks.

Love to see them try and pull that kind of crap if they dare venture to Lynah....

I realize this probably deserves its own thread, but through six games, the consistency of the officiating leaves quite a bit to be desired. That was never more apparent than at the rec league rink those amateurs play at. Maybe the refs thought they were doing a midget game....

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 20, 2006 07:38AM

would your analysis be any different had cornell won? I think so. Learn to lose with grace.

Date: November 20, 2006 08:09AM

bandrews37
Bunch of rude, obnoxious thugs is what they were. Topher Scott gets clotheslined and sent to the box for diving... Seminoff gets his stick held with the referee no more than 10 feet away and no whistle... The fans? Not much better. To them, every shot was going in, whether it was five feet wide or not, and every move was something Gretzky would have pulled, never mind the fact their guy lost the puck while showing off. Ignorant, uneducated buncha pricks.
I saw it, too, though my view was pixellated by the bleeping fishnet, sort of like being there live but watching a webcast. I saw Topher go down and it was hard to tell how much was his own gravitational force.

Love to see them try and pull that kind of crap if they dare venture to Lynah....
They will, they will. February.

I realize this probably deserves its own thread, but through six games, the consistency of the officiating leaves quite a bit to be desired. That was never more apparent than at the rec league rink those amateurs play at. Maybe the refs thought they were doing a midget game....
The Sun or Crimson or USCHO.com needs to do a story on this and the people to interview are off-duty or retired coaches and refs watching from the stands. The fans and coaches are obviously biased. It may be officiating is the same caliber as always - this is opinion, not fact - but our exposure to instant replay, high-def TV, and now high-def instant reply makes you realize the referees make mistakes. You still hear some of the NFL-old-guard-turned-color-commentators saying how instant replay hurts the game. Like how? By correcting obvious mistakes?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.180.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 09:11AM

bill,
I talked to an ECAC official this weekend, (he'll remain anonymous) what I gathered is that the inconsistancy through to ECAC is do to the supervisor of officials giving different orders every week. Yes, some of the refs suck... but they are only doing what they are told so that they can keep their jobs.
-resident Techie

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 09:59AM

Dpperk29
would your analysis be any different had cornell won? I think so. Learn to lose with grace.
RichS is feeling ill today. Playing the part of RichS will be Dpperk29. The theater apologizes for the inconvenience. If you would like a refund or tickets to a future show, please see the box office manager.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2006 10:00AM by ugarte.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2006 11:35AM

I didn't see this game. But I thought the officiating has been pretty bad.

Then again, I think the officiating is bad in every sport I watch. So don't listen to me.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 12:20PM

ugarte
Dpperk29
RichS is feeling ill today. Playing the part of RichS will be Dpperk29. The theater apologizes for the inconvenience. If you would like a refund or tickets to a future show, please see the box office manager.

let me start off by saying I am laughing hysterically at that. Second, I wasn;t saying it to be a jerk. Third, it's true. everyone does it. people have a tendancy to make the other team and their fans seem like evil demons when they lose.

is it right? no. Do we do it? yes. should we stop it? yes. will we stop it? no.

enough said.

P.S. Never ever compare me to certain people again... I don;t want Beeeej to hate me for not coming to see him.

disclaimer: Beeeej, it's a joke.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 12:21PM

Dpperk29
ugarte
Dpperk29

let me start off by saying I am laughing hysterically at that. Second, I wasn;t saying it to be a jerk. Third, it's true. everyone does it. people have a tendancy to make the other team and their fans seem like evil demons when they lose.

enough said.

P.S. Never ever compare me to certain people again... I don;t want Beeeej to hate me for not coming to see him.

Jerk.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 20, 2006 12:23PM

atleast I got the name right... I did right?

Posted by: aznxjz (---.fmcg.com)
Date: November 20, 2006 12:37PM

billhoward
(The home page of the QU website Saturday read, "Students give Quinnipiac high marks." Sort of like Harvard if one reversed subject and predicate.)

hahahahah classic

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 12:49PM

Yes. :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 01:11PM

Dpperk29
ugarte
Dpperk29

enough said.

I think it was unnecessary given the clear trolling tendencies of the new poster.

I think Facetimer might have a younger brother on campus...

'Pac!
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: November 20, 2006 02:03PM

I have adopted Quinnipiac as my second favorite ECAC team. I had already decided I dug the 'Pac a few years ago; I like their non-sectarian origins, and I was impressed by their fan entourage at the NCAA tournament in 2002. But the clincher came this summer when I attended a higher ed conference in Maryland. When Quinnipiac's representative at the conference took the podium, he gushed about joining the ECAC and started throwing out t-shirts honoring their ECAC debut season to a baffled audience. There's something cool about watching the extended Quinnipiac community guilelessly soak up the pleasures of the college hockey experience. I was bummed when Vermont abandoned the conference, but the Q rocks.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2006 02:38PM

Jordan 04
I think Facetimer might have a younger brother on campus...

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that :)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: November 20, 2006 04:05PM

Given the Q's apparent rapid rise in the ECACHL, I wonder if (when) there will be grumbling about any real or perceived recruiting advantages Q may have vis-a-vis the more academically selective institutions that make up the rest of the league; on the flip side, there is the argument that the academic prestige of the Ivies and similar instiutions (as well as established hockey tradition) should at least compensate for any disadvantages because of the higher academic standards.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2006 04:55PM

scoop85
Given the Q's apparent rapid rise in the ECACHL, I wonder if (when) there will be grumbling about any real or perceived recruiting advantages Q may have vis-a-vis the more academically selective institutions that make up the rest of the league; on the flip side, there is the argument that the academic prestige of the Ivies and similar instiutions (as well as established hockey tradition) should at least compensate for any disadvantages because of the higher academic standards.
Didn't UVM have a similar "advantage"? They never did much with it.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: November 20, 2006 05:17PM

Dpperk29
ugarte
Dpperk29

enough said.

Thanks, but actually I feel fine today. Sometimes work gets in the way of reading EVERY thread. lol...

And Beej doesn't "hate me", I'm pretty sure. He's much too in love with himself to waste energy hating someone who doesn't pay homage by tracking him down to worship at his feet at Lynah. :-P

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: November 20, 2006 06:36PM

Dpperk29
ugarte
Dpperk29

Dpperk29, I'm glad you got a laugh out of that too.

Well done Ugarte. :-D

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2006 09:51PM

Dpperk29

Frankly, yes. You didn't have to stand behind the guy I did. I kept wanting to flick his ear - and this was early in the game when we were leading. So yeah, I think my response would be the same.

Put another way: I'm not the sore loser you obviously think I am. Was that team better than we were? No. But we gave them the game

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2006 12:30AM

bandrews37
Put another way: I'm not the sore loser you obviously think I am. Was that team better than we were? No. But we gave them the game

if it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and acts like a fish... it is probably a fish. but I have been wrong before.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2006 02:26AM

so if cornell played a team that 'gave them the game' would you expect the faithful to sit on they're hands rahter than being, loud, suportive, cruel, and yes, obnoxious? Your complaint here seems to be that the Deer Tick fans where enthusiastic, how hypocritical is that?

Date: November 21, 2006 08:58AM

aznxjz
billhoward
(The home page of the QU website Saturday read, "Students give Quinnipiac high marks." Sort of like Harvard if one reversed subject and predicate.)

hahahahah classic
Sometimes a soft pitch floats over the center of the plate and you've just gotta swing. Even if Harvard is suffering from a self-esteem issue, as explained by Gary Trudeau, it's not like making fun of the handicapped.

That's some username. It looks like a temporary password the bank sends out when you forget BlueSteel01. I'll bite: What's it stand for?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: November 21, 2006 06:43PM

I'd take Vermont back in a nanosecond.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2006 05:32AM

Beeeej
Yes. :-)

Didn't he leave out the silent '3'?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2006 04:11PM

Dpperk29
if it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and acts like a fish... it is probably a fish. but I have been wrong before.

Really, dude. The Harvard game was two weeks ago.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trigger (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 05:24PM

So you are saying that losing with grace is something we Cornell fans should try, then. You are certainly one to talk, after all of the people with Cornell stickers on their cars came out of your crappy rink last year to find that some douche poured water all over their cars. We are sore losers? Maybe you need to speak with your own student body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login