Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

BC 0 @ Sucks 4 (Final)

Posted by Killer 
BC 0 @ Sucks 4 (Final)
Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 07:33PM

Working late tonight and listening to the game (thought about going), though I won't be able to update this thread past about 8:10.

Tuned in just in time to hear Harvard score their first, then BC took 2 quick penalties and Du put another goal in on the 5-on-3. Right now it's 2-0 Harvard with about 2:00 to go in the 1st.

----------------------

Sounds like Harvard started by keeping the pressure on early in the 2nd and almost netted another, but now they're getting a bit ragged and have had 3 or 4 icing calls in the last couple minutes.

Sounded like a good PP for BC, except...no score. About 10:00 left in the 2nd.

Gotta run to catch the train, so no more updates from me. Sorry. About 3:20 left in the 2nd. Probably be over by the time I get home.

----------------------

Just got home and, as I suspected, the game's over. Thanks to those who kept the thread updated.

Good win for the ECACHL. Now let's kick some Sucks ass Friday night.

LGR!!!
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2006 09:37PM by Killer.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 2 (early 2nd)
Posted by: daredevilcu (---.riverside.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:05PM

Sounds like Richter is standing on his head. That might be partly due to the Harvard announcers though. Are they typically heavily slanted?

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:07PM

They're often serious homers, but I have the BC feed on and they make it sound like Richter is doing a heck of a job as well.

Date: November 07, 2006 08:18PM

BC going on a short 5x3 late in the 2nd. 2 man advantage killed off, now it's 5x4, and Harvard clears.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 2 (end 2nd)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:20PM

Harvard's penalty kill is stuffing BC pretty well, and Richter is apparently standing on his head. BC will be on the PP at the start of the 3rd.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 2 (early 3rd)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:38PM

Harvard kills off the BC powerplay to start the 3rd. Referees miss what was apparently a fairly obvious elbowing call against Harvard. BC seems to be playing an aggressive forecheck (no surprise there).

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 2 (late 2nd)
Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:42PM

Oh, how weird. I just heard Harvard fans cheering over the radio feed.

Posted by: ganderson (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:43PM

From the broadcast, it sounds like there are Sucks fans there. Isn't that unusual even (especially?) when they're at Lynah East? B-]

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 2 (early 3rd)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:43PM

Harvard going on the power play after what the homer announcers are calling a pretty nice dive at the blue line by the Harvard player, the officials trailing the play apparently missed it. 15 to play.

Date: November 07, 2006 08:45PM

Yeah, I was surprised how loud it was Friday when I was there. Their droning during the penalty kill was especially annoying, reminded me of the sound the native Martians made in that Futurama episode.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 3 (mid 3rd)
Date: November 07, 2006 08:46PM

Sucks scores again 3-0 in a 5 on 3
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2006 08:49PM by ganderson.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 2 (mid 3rd)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:04PM

8:19 to play after a long deliberation by the officials regarding a scrum. Result is 4x4 hockey due to a double minor to BC and two minors to Harvard. 4x3 hockey now as Harvard takes a penalty.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 2 (late 3rd)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:10PM

4:55 left to play, Harvard going on the power play as Orpik goes off for hooking.

Date: November 07, 2006 09:12PM

BC kills off the penalty, under 3 to play.

Date: November 07, 2006 09:13PM

Biega scores, 4-0 Harvard with 2:03 remaining.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:14PM

And Harv scores on a one timer. 4-0 with less than 2min to go. Looks like Harvard finally woke up.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 4 (late 3rd)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:14PM

Another one for Sucks. Glad to see an ECAC team pounding Hockey East... And I hope they're using up all their Whoop Ass(tm) and won't have much left Friday...

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 4 (Final)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:17PM

4-0 final. Sparks fly at the end with apparent punches thrown. Announcers think there will be at least one DQ handed out.

Re: BC 0 @ Sucks 4 (FINAL)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:18PM

#3 BC falls to a team tied for last in the ECAC. (Put that way, it's less painful to be glad about a Sucks win. :)

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:20PM

Quite frankly, the interconference results so far this seaosn indicate that the ECACHL is possibly the best conference in college hockey. Obviously it isnt, but it is proving itself in the early going.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:22PM

I'm glad Harvard won on many levels. It should mitigate against the posibility that the Red will be overconfident come Friday; it's always dangerous playing a "wounded tiger;" and, it certainly is great to have an ECAC squad whip a supposed top team from Hockey East.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:41PM

daredevilcu
Announcers think there will be at least one DQ handed out.

Did this end up happening?

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:58PM

redhair34
daredevilcu
Announcers think there will be at least one DQ handed out.

Did this end up happening?

Nope - [www.collegehockeystats.net]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 11:07PM

Well it looks like a lot of our outcome, at least that part that we can't control, will dependent upon which Richter shows up. The 36 shot 0 goals or 34 shot 5 goals? I assume he'll start since he's certainly had the best performance so far. If so, we need to try and get on him and get him off his game. That refers to team and fans.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 11:42PM

Jim Hyla
Well it looks like a lot of our outcome, at least that part that we can't control, will dependent upon which Richter shows up. The 36 shot 0 goals or 34 shot 5 goals? I assume he'll start since he's certainly had the best performance so far. If so, we need to try and get on him and get him off his game. That refers to team and fans.

He'll get lit up.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 12:11AM

calgARI '07
Jim Hyla

He'll get lit up.

Are you suggesting someone get him high before the game? I think that's a capital idea.

"heh heh hey dude... the puck like totally went in the net. omfg my stick is so much bigger than yours....!"

Posted by: DL (58.61.2.---)
Date: November 08, 2006 01:17AM

Cute quote from Teddy on USCHO, looking forward to this weekend's game:

"Lynah has always been kind of a witches [sic] cauldron," said the coach bemusedly.

[www.uscho.com]

rock

Posted by: MINIteam8s (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 05:52AM

Since Friday's game comes just a bit after Halloween and given Teddy's quote after last night's game, I'm thinking that wearing a witch's hat during the team warmup might be a good add to the evening. Our seats are right behind the goal in Section G. Good idea or not?

Posted by: jy3 (---.albyny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:54AM

miniteam8s
Since Friday's game comes just a bit after Halloween and given Teddy's quote after last night's game, I'm thinking that wearing a witch's hat during the team warmup might be a good add to the evening. Our seats are right behind the goal in Section G. Good idea or not?

that sounds like a good idea, if you are female :)

warlock outfit just wouldnt be the same
could u buy a big pot and a spoon too?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2006 01:54PM

So I went to the game with a SLU fan from Hockey-L and a Canadian colleague who was in town for the same meetings I was. Surprisingly enjoyable game. Random thoughts:

-- Harvard has been plugging the hell out of this game, according to someone who was at SLU-H the other night. As of Monday morning you could only order single seats online, but when I called the H ticket office, there was a choice of three together in a few sections (all four rows or less from the ice).

-- The Hahvahd ticket office continues to be helpful and friendly. They recognized me as a repeat customer from last year's Hahvahd-BU game.

-- The crowd showed up late, but the place was full until the BC fans started to beat the traffic in the final minutes. I only saw one yellow t-shirt that might have belonged to a "superfan"; the other BC fans were all middle-aged Bostonians. (So less entertaining than the BU fans last year.) Hahvahd had the usual six jerk fans behind the goal (who even managed to screw up the sucky NHL "Schneider ... Schneider ... Schneider .. YOU SUCK!" cheer) plus a band that seemed slightly improved, although the wind section did about as much dancing as playing.

-- Richter was the right combination of good and lucky, even when the D hung him out to dry. I think it's imperative that we solve him early.

-- Du continues to be disturbingly good. The first line of Du/Maki/someone else had most of the scoring chances, and looked good on the PP. Harvard's go-to power play move seems to be: someone centers from the right corner, they look for a tip in front, with Du ready to put in the rebound from the left-side goal line.

-- The final goal was the result of a beautiful crossing pass on a 2x1.

-- F Murphy wasn't bad for most of the game, although the calls that set up the third-period 5x3 were odd. The trip at the blue line was a dive (and should have been called hooking, if anything) and the slash was a borderline trip.

-- Is a double minor to one team and two minors to the other supposed to result in a 4x4? I thought nothing went on the board when it was anything more than matching minors.

-- BC was very frus-tra-ted by the end, as you can imagine.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: dsk1 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 05:21PM

I was at the game as well and will add a few thoughts:

--Decent size crowd for a Harvard game, but very quiet all game. Harvard's band lame. BC fans surprising lame (expected many more students to make it three miles from Chesnut Hill).

--I think both teams struggled quiet a bit with BC looking better and dominating the play during the longer streches of five on five (most of the second period).

--I thought Harvard was good at limiting quality scoring chances, on the power play & in transition.

--Thought Richter was strong, but do not think BC did a great job of testing him. BC did not take advantage a couple of times when they had him beat, did not get off many shots for the slot area nor make him move side to side. Agree that we will need solve him early if possible.

--Power Play. Harvard does try to work the puck down low out of the right corner with DU parked on the left post. When BC collapsed down on the play out of the right corner, Harvard's point did a good job at taking the shot (not particularly strong shots, but at least tried to throw the puck towards the net).

--Transition. Harvard tried to capitalize on turnovers in the neutral zone and turn them into quick offensive opportunities. They hit the long pass from the top of the defensive zone to the forward cutting across at center ice well (also tried to sneak the forward behind the D for similar pass along the right boards on the power paly). They generally made a quick effort on the forecheck and then backed off letting BC breakout relatively easily (a few times BC had the puck underneath the circles in their defensive zone and Harvard already had 4 guys behing center ice). Besides the power play and quick transition, I didn't think Harvard created a lot of offensive pressure.

--Harvard's penaltly kill was pretty aggressive, especially until BC got set up in the offensive zone. A quick set-up in the offensive zone can catch them out of their box and open up good scoring opportunities.

--Harvard really struggled to breakout of their defensive zone, even when BC put on very little pressure. Defense made some really poor passes out of their end and generally seemed afraid to make a play often firing the puck off the glass along the left boards. I think there is an opportunity to take advantage of their inability to break-out well, but we have to be careful. The last goal was a poor breakout combined with good transition play. Harvard's defenseman couldn't make a paly and just fired the puck up the left boards high off the glass by the BC point. BC's point hesitated to turn since it would be icing, but the puck hit the linesman settling at center ice. Harvard got two guys out in transition and did a nice job converting on a 2 on 1. Bad break for BC, but nice conversion by Harvard.

That's my thoughts. . . it was a good game to get a preview of Harvard before Friday's game.

Let's go Red!

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:05PM

Decent size crowd?? They had 150 people more than a sellout. doh

Posted by: dsk1 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:39PM

I don't know what number they reported, but the game was definitely not a sellout. The rink was pretty full, but there were plenty of open seats.

Two of the guys that were planning on going with us had to cancel for a business trip at the last minute so I had two extra tickets to dump. When we got there a five minutes before the game the ticket office told me they had plenty of seats left and asked my what Section I preferred to seat in (not standing room, but actual seats). I actually missed the first couple of minutes of the game waiting nearly ten minutes before I sold the tickets to the first person looking to buy tickets.

Havard probably did not want to report anything less than a sellout since they plugged the game so heavily.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login