Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarification from Nighman

Posted by scannon 
Clarification from Nighman
Posted by: scannon (209.2.89.---)
Date: November 06, 2006 05:31PM

In response to the vague email I got from athletics recently, which someone copied into the NY Times thread, I asked Gene Nighman for clarification of what is allowed and what is not. I got this reply:

"Profanities such as A-hole and F'em up are NOT permitted. Although
not exactly nice, it is okay to say someone sucks and the sieve and bad
goalie chants are also okay.

Gene"

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. I for one am going to take a copy of this to the next game for defence against over eagar ushers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2006 05:35PM by scannon.

Re: Clarification from Nighman
Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 06:03PM

Given that Cambridge is in Massachusetts, how do you think he'd take to calling them "Massholes"?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 06:05PM

I can't speak to whether it'll get you kicked out, but as a proud Masshole, I don't know of a single one of us who isn't damn proud of that term. You may as well cheer "you're awesome!"

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2006 06:21PM

Cornell Smoking Team
HARVARD IS IN CAMBRIDGE
CAMBRIDGE IS IN BOSTON
BOSTON IS IN MASSACHUSETTS
TWO SHITS, TWO SHITS
YOU'RE ALL DOUCHES!

:-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KP '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 06:30PM

Good to know.

After calling RIT "a bunch of D-III goons" during pregame warmups, a member of the athletics staff (not an usher) pulled me aside and asked me to please be "less vicious" due to the new rules about sportsmanship. I tried to get more specifics out of her, and failed. This helps.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 07:35PM

KP '06
Good to know.

After calling RIT "a bunch of D-III goons" during pregame warmups, a member of the athletics staff (not an usher) pulled me aside and asked me to please be "less vicious" due to the new rules about sportsmanship. I tried to get more specifics out of her, and failed. This helps.
Wow. They must be easily offended over there in D-III.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 08:29PM

I happen to be one as well, so I know what you mean. And we certainly don't want to compliment them. Just looking for something in that grey area that doesn't quite get you evicted.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2006 08:48PM

"I'd like to thank all of the CU students who have given the Athletic Department and myself positive feedback related to the ticket selection process that was implemented this season." -Gene

Just remember people, keep your constructive criticism to yourself. If you have a better idea in mind, Gene doesn't wanna hear it.

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2006 09:32PM

Too bad this doesn't apply to the band...one person got reprimanded by a senior athletics administrator for wearing a Hahvahd Sucks shirt. We haven't been able to say sucks for a good two years now.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:28AM

People overuse suck anyway, and the creative center of Lynah is the band. So maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 07, 2006 10:26AM

kaelistus
People overuse suck anyway, and the creative center of Lynah is the band. So maybe that isn't such a bad thing.
Plus, the university probably considers the band an official representative and expects a (slightly) higher standard.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 01:35PM

jtwcornell91
CAMBRIDGE IS IN BOSTON
Not entirely accurate, but okay ;)

Date: November 08, 2006 11:02AM

DeltaOne81
jtwcornell91
CAMBRIDGE IS IN BOSTON
Not entirely accurate, but okay ;)

Because the Cornell Smoking Team were such sticklers for accuracy. faint

Noel's take on Fish
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 05:56PM

From today's Sun:

“Sportsmanship is a lost art in many respects and I’m not ready to give it up,” Noel said. “I’m somebody that respects tradition a lot, but I don’t respect tradition that is insulting to our visitors.”
Noel affirmed that come this Friday night, the administration will continue its policy of removing students caught throwing fish from Lynah.

Noel has witnessed Harvard players being hit in the head with fish and have fish parts slip inside their sweaters on more than one occasion.

Full article: [www.cornellsun.com]

Andy sure has an imagination...

Re: Noel's take on Fish
Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 06:58PM

“I think our administration has done a good job, because at one point in time it was out of control,” Schafer said. “But Cornell students won’t be denied and if they want to do it they’re going to find some creative way of doing it. As long as they don’t cost us a penalty, that’s the biggest thing.”

Sounds like an "ok" to me rock

Date: November 08, 2006 07:36PM

Good to know our AD has taken to lying to the press. rolleyes

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 08:54PM

jtwcornell91
Good to know our AD has taken to lying to the press. rolleyes
This is new?

Posted by: Omie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:15PM

So I sent an email to good ol' Gene asking about whether a "Harvard Sucks" sign would acceptable and the chants, including the 'masshole' idea. His respose was.

[Q] Any signs that are derogatory will not be allowed, I would consider them to be more unsportsmanlike than shouting the same thing. Any chant that is obscene or could be easily mistaken as an obscene chant would also not be allowed. The traditional chant after a penalty is "See you loser," and although it is also derogatory, there are no immediate plans to ban the chant.
Gene[/Q]

Since when is loser a derogatory term?! Freakin' PC police.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:19PM

Omie
Since when is loser a derogatory term?! Freakin' PC police.
Since when is loser the cheer?

It's "You Goon." Period.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 09:33PM

Robb
Since when is loser the cheer?

It's "You Goon." Period.

I think he's referring to the first part. He's gunning for "See you loser! You [something]." I doubt he knows, or cares, whether the [something] is "goon" or "lose," as long as we don't say "asshole."

Also, I really wish he'd grow some freaking balls. I can understand banning actual profanities, especially if it's televised, but is he really setting the bar at "derogatory" words? Wtf? Are we supposed to keep any cheer directed at the opposing team positive or neutral? Is "Hey goalie, you may or may not be doing an adequate job!" really the spiciest he'd like us to get? What a tool.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 09:39PM by ftyuv.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:24PM

edit: oops wrong thread
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 10:26PM by redhair34.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:36PM

my question is, if someone happens to shout out: Gene Nighman! three times and the crowd happens to respond SUCKS! would that induvidual person come under any scrutiny? After all they would just be shouting out the man's name, they would have no control over what the crowd's responce may be.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:37PM

I think Noel is the bigger problem than Nighman. He calls the shots in this area - just read his proposterous quotes in the paper today.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2006 10:38PM

well, I'm sure we could accomadate each of them with they're own induvidual chant.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 08, 2006 11:36PM

evilnaturedrobot
well, I'm sure we could accomadate each of them with they're own induvidual chant.

Seconded. When would that cheer be appropriate? Mabye when the ushers try to drag fish throwers out.

Posted by: DL (219.134.140.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 08:34AM

Is it remotely possible that the lunacy coming from Noel is actually not so much his fault as it is part of his job, part of some more ridiculous doctrine handed down from much higher up? It certainly would suck if his job depended on being an asshole, then being called for it by hundreds of fans, right on national TV.

Of course, I don't know the man, so maybe he's just PC-whipped...

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 09:40AM

DL
Is it remotely possible that the lunacy coming from Noel is actually not so much his fault as it is part of his job, part of some more ridiculous doctrine handed down from much higher up? It certainly would suck if his job depended on being an asshole, then being called for it by hundreds of fans, right on national TV.

There are many, many things in this world that are done for the sake of covering your own ass, and his seems like one of those times. If Ted Donato slips on some fish residue and decides to sue the department, the defense will hinge around "oh, didn't you see the emails we sent out, and how we ejected Bob and Jill who looked like they were about to make a throwing motion with their arm while saying 'socks' in the direction of Kyle Richter? What else do you want us to do?". Our legal system sponsors such theater as a way out.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: November 09, 2006 10:02AM

Winnabago
Our legal system sponsors such theater as a way out.
I'm adding this to my list of reasons why giving some group (the government) a monopoly on force is a bad idea. doh

Kyle

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 10:10AM

Winnabago
DL

There are many, many things in this world that are done for the sake of covering your own ass, and his seems like one of those times. If Ted Donato slips on some fish residue and decides to sue the department, the defense will hinge around "oh, didn't you see the emails we sent out, and how we ejected Bob and Jill who looked like they were about to make a throwing motion with their arm while saying 'socks' in the direction of Kyle Richter? What else do you want us to do?". Our legal system sponsors such theater as a way out.

If Ted Donato slips on his way to the bench, I'd imagine the defense would hinge around "you were walking on ice" and not all that other stuff.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 10:42AM

Jordan 04
Winnabago

If Ted Donato slips on his way to the bench, I'd imagine the defense would hinge around "you were walking on ice" and not all that other stuff.

...plus the fact that he admitted in the freakin' New York Times that he knew it was coming.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 09, 2006 11:03AM

ftyuv
I think he's referring to the first part. He's gunning for "See you loser! You [something]." I doubt he knows, or cares, whether the [something] is "goon" or "lose," as long as we don't say "asshole."
Obviously that's what he's going for, but it's pretty inane to say (as he did) that that's the "traditional" chant or something like that. Lying to us is just insulting.

Date: November 09, 2006 11:25AM

Josh '99
ftyuv
Obviously that's what he's going for, but it's pretty inane to say (as he did) that that's the "traditional" chant or something like that. Lying to us is just insulting.

See Hanlon's Razor.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: November 14, 2006 06:00PM

I wish I'd seen this in time to use it as a defense for my "harvard sucks" t-shirt.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.111.---)
Date: November 14, 2006 08:23PM

so that makes your gross display of unsportsmanship behavior ok?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 11:03PM

We were talking about a legal defense in a personal injury suit. Feel free to join us when you've reached the same page.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: November 15, 2006 01:38AM

Beeeej
We were talking about a legal defense in a personal injury suit. Feel free to join us when you've reached the same page.

Thanks Beeej.

The suit you were talking about was in related to "If Ted Donato slips on some fish residue."

I was referring to how the fish got there in the first place. Feel free to understand that. :-}

Date: November 15, 2006 02:42AM

Rich S
Beeeej

Thanks Beeej.

The suit you were talking about was in related to "If Ted Donato slips on some fish residue."

I was referring to how the fish got there in the first place. Feel free to understand that. :-}

And Cornell never should have torn down the U-Halls. See, non sequiturs are fun!

Date: November 15, 2006 10:05AM

Rich S

Okay, I'll bite, since you're incapable of seeing how the question is unrelated to the statement it follows:

It makes Donato unable to recover in a personal injury lawsuit.

Wow, that was fun!

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 02:10PM

Jordan 04
Winnabago
DL

Ok, so he trips <i>over</i> some fish residue. Same argument.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: November 16, 2006 05:25PM

Beeeej
Rich S

Okay, I'll bite, since you're incapable of seeing how the question is unrelated to the statement it follows:

Wow, that was fun!

Your arrogance is appalling if not at all surprising consider the source, (a guy who gets his panties in a bunch because I wouldn't track him down at Lynah last Spring).

Incapable? Perhaps you're the one that adjective fits best.

You guys made reference to a personal injury suit, not me. I said the following which I'll repeat since you seemingly missed it.

"The suit you were talking about was in related to "If Ted Donato slips on some fish residue."

I was referring to how the fish got there in the first place. Feel free to understand that."

My question asking 'So then the fish throwing is ok?' despite being a "unsportsmanlike act in the first place", meant, does the defense of his knowing it was coming make it a less unsportsmanlike act?

I think not, but hey, you're the know-it-all lawyer so feel free to continue to interpret my words any way you like.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 16, 2006 10:55PM

Rich S
Beeeej
Rich S

Wow, that was fun!

Your arrogance is appalling if not at all surprising consider the source, (a guy who gets his panties in a bunch because I wouldn't track him down at Lynah last Spring).

Incapable? Perhaps you're the one that adjective fits best.

You guys made reference to a personal injury suit, not me. I said the following which I'll repeat since you seemingly missed it.

"The suit you were talking about was in related to "If Ted Donato slips on some fish residue."

I was referring to how the fish got there in the first place. Feel free to understand that."

My question asking 'So then the fish throwing is ok?' despite being a "unsportsmanlike act in the first place", meant, does the defense of his knowing it was coming make it a less unsportsmanlike act?

I think not, but hey, you're the know-it-all lawyer so feel free to continue to interpret my words any way you like.

If you insist. I will even endeavour to be polite about it.

For probably 99% of readers, when you follow a statement "Y" with a question of the form "So that makes X okay?" you are understood to be using "that" to refer to "Y," the statement that preceeded it and the context in which "Y" arose. We were in the middle of conversation about whether Donato's hypothetical lawsuit against Cornell might have merit, and I had just brought up a point that would probably be a strong defense for Cornell in that hypothetical lawsuit. Since you responded directly to that point "Y" with a question of the form "So that makes X okay?" any rational reader would have to presume that your question arose from my point and the context in which I made it.

The answer is that one has nothing to do with the other. If you'd asked "So that makes it more likely Cornell would be able to defend such a lawsuit successfully?" then the answer would have been "Yes." Your question "So that makes your ... behavior ok?" just doesn't apply. There's an enormous difference between what might serve as a successful defense in a court of law and what makes behavior "ok" in a moral sense or in terms of etiquette.

Which brings me to another point. Your phrasing "gross display of unsportsmanship behavior" presumes that the display is gross, that the behavior is - well, "unsportsmanlike" (that would be the adjective form of the word, I believe) in the first place. It's the worst kind of loaded, conclusory question, because it presupposes the answer. It would be as if I asked, say, a St. Lawrence alum posting on this board, "So your moronically ignorant and deranged reply made sense?" Well, no, it couldn't possibly - I've already stated in the question that it was moronically ignorant and deranged, so no answer that poster gives will suffice to make us believe otherwise. Most of the time, I don't even think a question like that deserves an answer.

All that having been said, if what you actually wanted to know was whether I think the fish-tossing at the Hahvahd game is unsportsmanlike, you could have simply asked, but you didn't. You could also have asked me whether I think it's less unsportsmanlike because Donato knew it was coming, but you didn't, though you clearly think you did. Based on the way any rational human being would read the conversation in sequence, you asked if the fact that Ted Donato would likely lose a lawsuit against Cornell because he knew in advance of the potentially dangerous condition "makes your gross display of unsportsmanship behavior ok."

The answer - once again - is that it has nothing to do with it.

The answer to the question you think you originally asked, since you have now gone to the trouble of asking it (and whatever you may think, I do appreciate the clarification), is: No, I don't think Donato's foreknowledge of the fish has any bearing whatsoever on whether the fish is unsportsmanlike or, if it is unsportsmanlike, how unsportsmanlike it is.

As for last year, I let that go a long time ago. I tried at the time to make you understand why I thought your double-standard was ridiculous, but you didn't get it, so I gave up. I fail to see why you continue to bring it up, or what it has to do with this discussion. If it makes you feel better to think that I was offended because you didn't grace me with your presence, please feel free to continue thinking that. I know better, and I'm completely at peace with my opinion on the matter.

My sincerest and genuine wishes for Clarkson's success against St. Cloud State this weekend.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: scannon (209.2.89.---)
Date: November 17, 2006 01:00AM

Do you two have nothhing better to do

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: November 17, 2006 07:29AM

Beeeej
My sincerest and genuine wishes for Clarkson's success against St. Cloud State this weekend.

Thank You

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: November 17, 2006 07:47AM

scannon

Second rolleyes

SCCC
Date: November 17, 2006 07:59AM

Dpperk29
Beeeej

Thank You

LGT!

Re: SCCC
Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: November 17, 2006 08:14AM

jtwcornell91
Dpperk29
Beeeej

Thank You

LGT!

WTF, I'll agree with that this weekend also. woot

The ECAC has done quite well to date in interconference matches [www.uscho.com]

Total           vs. 'Big 4'   
AHA      5-25-2 (.188)    2-22-2 (.115)   
CCHA    26-13-5 (.648)   10-13-4 (.444)
CHA      7-19-1 (.278)    4-16-1 (.214)  
ECACHL  23-12-5 (.638)    9- 9-3 (.500)   
HEA     17-16-4 (.514)   13-15-4 (.469)  
WCHA    20-13-5 (.592)   16-11-5 (.578)

We're currently second by either measure.

Date: November 17, 2006 10:08AM

scannon

...than judge others (excuse me, "othhers";) for hhow thhey spend thheir time? Why, yes. Yes, I do. :-)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 17, 2006 11:26AM

Beeeej
The answer to the question you think you originally asked, since you have now gone to the trouble of asking it (and whatever you may think, I do appreciate the clarification), is: No, I don't think Donato's foreknowledge of the fish has any bearing whatsoever on whether the fish is unsportsmanlike or, if it is unsportsmanlike, how unsportsmanlike it is.
Left unsaid was that, as a matter of first principles, I don't (and Beeeej probably doesn't) consider the fish tossing unsportsmanlike.

Trying to hit the players, on the other hand... is borderline.

Posted by: WillR (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 12:20PM

ugarte
Beeeej
Left unsaid was that, as a matter of first principles, I don't (and Beeeej probably doesn't) consider the fish tossing unsportsmanlike.

Trying to hit the players, on the other hand... is borderline.

There almost has to be some give in this statement. Aiming for Pelle is probably a noble pursuit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login