Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NYTimes Article about Cornell vs. SUCKS

Posted by RazzBaronZ 
NYTimes Article about Cornell vs. SUCKS
Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 10:55PM

Found this little article online:

[www.nytimes.com]

I can't wait for this game...

Re: NYTimes Article about Cornell vs. SUCKS
Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 11:13PM

Once again I get to give lab meeting before the Hahvahd game, and we have some new people, so I can explain the Cornell-Harvard rivalry to them. Maybe the NY Times article will help my labmates realize the importance of this game. I think some of them are coming over to watch, but it maybe more for the pot of chili and beer and not so much for the hockey.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: November 04, 2006 11:14PM

Finally something other than my rantings to share with the locals democrats here in Arizona. I'm dragging a bunch of them to the game watching with me.

Posted by: MRN one (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 02:09AM

A fun article and certainly one to share with anyone who hasn't seen Cornell Hockey in person. But I do think the line about Cornell fans outnumbering Harvard fans at Lynah East is generous. Certainly outshouting, overwhelming, or understanding more about the game could all be true statements. But when I've been there there were always more quantity if not quality of Harvard fans sitting quietly listening to the Big Red Band.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 09:56AM

I must say this artile brings back wonderful memories of smuggling fish into the rink as well as a few chickens.--Back in the late 70's/early 80's we would bring a few chickens and place at least one in sucks net. One year (before my time) it was rumored that a chicken deposited an egg. One year the sucks goalie started to swing at the chicken and nearly started a riot. This added part of the Cornell vs. Harvvard battle ended shortly after a chicken was deposited at his final resting place inside the Harvard goal and 3000 fans began chanting "wake up chicken" just as harvard skated onto the ice.

Let the fish fly next Friday and for all those that will be in attendance be creative in your selection. I'm looking forward to watching it on TV.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 05, 2006 12:19PM

There is absolutely no question that for several years, up until four or five years ago, the Cornell fans outnumbered the Hahvahd ones at most of our games at Bright. If you go all the way back to the late 1980s/early 1990s, the showing from Cornellians was quite poor as well; I would say we probably outnumbered them from 1996-2001.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2006 12:59PM

“When I was playing here as a freshman, I thought the sight of fish flying over the boards was hilarious,” Schafer said. “It’s still a fun tradition that has lived on over the years, and it is all a part of the same kind of electricity that a college basketball fan might find at a Duke-North Carolina game.”

“But over the years, I’ve really come to appreciate this rivalry,” said Donato, whose team is the defending ECAC Hockey League champion. “And whether Cornell fans are throwing fish or newspapers on the ice, our guys have come to appreciate it as well.

I guess when deciding to crack down on fish-throwing, Andy Noel and Co. find it beneath them to consider the opinions of the head coaches of the respective teams. bang

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 01:43PM

which reminds me, has anyone heard any huffing and puffing from athetics yet? seems like we should have gotten a threatening email by now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2006 01:45PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 05:12PM

True or not, I could have done without the "inferiority complex" and "inadequacy" comments.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 05:38PM

kind of unfair to ask a times writer not to mention somthing just because we don't like it, no?

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 05:40PM

evilnaturedrobot
which reminds me, has anyone heard any huffing and puffing from athetics yet? seems like we should have gotten a threatening email by now.

This year, not only will you get JA-ed for it, but Gene Nighman will personally kill youir dog.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: November 05, 2006 09:37PM

JohnnieAg'99
True or not, I could have done without the "inferiority complex" and "inadequacy" comments.

I don't mind that becuase it is basically true.

What I do mind is comparing our hockey games to college basketball (or football in the other article on the Cornell hockey line). Cornell Hockey is special. It doesn't need to justify itself by being almost as good as big time college athletics.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 09:50PM

Roy 82
JohnnieAg'99

I don't mind that becuase it is basically true.

What I do mind is comparing our hockey games to college basketball (or football in the other article on the Cornell hockey line). Cornell Hockey is special. It doesn't need to justify itself by being almost as good as big time college athletics.

I agree about the Harvard-Cornell thing. But I don't think the comparison to basketball is necessarily an attempt to justify hockey, just a way to let other people know how excited we get by comparing it to something they know. I don't know a thing about Duke-NC basketball, but if it's anything like Cornell hockey, I'm sure it's a grand old time (except that you have to watch a boring sport amid the exciting atmosphere), so I suppose the comparison would help a college basketball fan get a sense of how big this game is. Just like if someone were trying to explain to me how important the Duke-NC game is, they'd say it's like Cornell-Harvard hockey.

LGR! Sucks Harvards!

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 05, 2006 11:58PM

It's not basically true, though. It may be true for arts and sciences (which yes, is the biggest school) but for those of us in engineering, or ag, architecture, hum. ec, ilr, or hotel, it's not true at all- we are far better than harvard's program.

There is NO engineering school equal or better than us with a comparable hockey team. :-)

Posted by: jaybert (---.dllstx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 01:03AM

BMac
It's not basically true, though. It may be true for arts and sciences (which yes, is the biggest school) but for those of us in engineering, or ag, architecture, hum. ec, ilr, or hotel, it's not true at all- we are far better than harvard's program.

There is NO engineering school equal or better than us with a comparable hockey team. :-)

univ of michigan? Their engineering school aint so bad, neither is their hockey team :)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 07:51AM

BMac

I know some ugly rodents who might beg to differ with that, too. But then again, they lost to Holy Cross.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: November 06, 2006 08:16AM

BMac

I can think of one. but I don't want to cause a rucus, so I will keep my mouth shut.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 08:45AM

Dpperk29
BMac

I can think of one. but I don't want to cause a rucus, so I will keep my mouth shut.
Yeah, we don't like it when RPI fans mouth off:

6. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
 11. Cornell University (NY)
 15. University of Wisconsin–Madison
 18. Princeton University (NJ)
 21. Harvard University (MA)
 26. Ohio State University
 28. University of Minnesota–Twin Cities
 37. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)
 39. Yale University (CT)
 42. Boston University
 42. Dartmouth College (Thayer) (NH)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 08:49AM

BMac
But it still is. No matter how good the engineering school is, when your mother tells her friends where you go/went to school, she says Cornell instead of Harvard and they react to Cornell instead of Harvard. It doesn't help things when Mom says defensive things like "Harvard doesn't have nearly as good an engineering program."

Inferiority complexes manifest themselves in a lot of ways.

Date: November 06, 2006 12:25PM

"I didn't know Cornell was in the Ivy League" bang

If I had a nickel for every time...

Date: November 06, 2006 02:25PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Well it's an understandable mistake. After all, we are a state university. ;)

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: November 06, 2006 03:30PM

Here's why *I* think it's a great rivalry:

Ivy Championships by Team (all-time)
Harvard: 23
Cornell: 19
Field: 17

ECAC Championships (all-time)
Cornell: 11
Harvard: 8
Other Ivies: 1

ECAC Final Fours
Clarkson: 30
Cornell: 29
Harvard: 27
BU: 15 (really, they're still #4 after 21 years)

ECAC Finals appearances since 2001
Cornell: 5
Harvard: 5
Field: 2 (both North Country)

This is why the hockey rivalry is so special. If it were really only about academic and social jealousy/inferiority/whatever, why aren't we drawing thousands more to the Harvard-Cornell lacrosse game? I only want to see orange blood. I yawn when I think about Harvard-Cornell football. Let's load up the fish sack for that squash match. (guts on the wall!)

When two teams in a league (and sub-league) are so clearly butting heads for superiority so often, and for such a long historical period (wasn't the 1962 win vs. the established H team THE definitive "arrival" of the modern CU program?), there's going to be some real fire in that rivalry.

There are the geographical rivalries (Stanford-Cal, USC-UCLA, UNC-Duke, Clarkson-SLU), the traditional rivalries (Harvard-Yale, ND-BC, Giants-Dodgers, Clarkson-RPI), and then the competitive rivalries (Harvard-Cornell, BU-Cornell, Redskins-Cowboys, Red Wings-Avs, Penn-Princeton squeakball)...those are the rivalries where both sides have a such a history of sustained excellence that you start to hate each others' guts.

Harvard is the only thing keeping this Cornell fan from claiming unquestioned dominance in Ivy Hockey. And that's why I hate them.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2006 03:33PM by RichH.

Gene Nighman checks in
Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:21PM

Gene Nighman
Dear CU student,

Now that the Cornell men's ice hockey home games have begun I'd like to thank all of the CU students who have given the Athletic Department and myself positive feedback related to the ticket selection process that was implemented this season. Feedback is always welcome and we are open to suggestions that will improve the process. It is obvious that we once again have the most avid and loyal hockey fans in the nation. This is evidenced by the packed turnout in the student section at the three games held at home thus far this season (one an exhibition game and one on a Thursday night)!

Both the department and I value the atmosphere and the electricity that Cornell students bring to the home hockey games and congratulate the majority of the Cornell students on their good sense of sportsmanship and school spirit. It is disheartening, however, that SOME students continue to blemish the wholesome atmosphere of a premier sporting event by shouting obscenities at the visiting team. Cornell University and the NCAA have made a commitment to the values inherent in the sportsmanship policy that is printed on the front of your season tickets and, although I do not enjoy doing so, my staff and I will continue to remove students from the games and revoke the season tickets of those who violate the sportsmanship policy.

To reinforce your understanding of the sportsmanship policy the following is a reprint of the statement you signed when acquiring your season tickets. It should also serve to answer some of the questions students have asked in the past several weeks.

[Good sportsmanship, blah, blah]

I hope to make it through the duration of the season without having to revoke any more season tickets from the "Lynah faithful."

Gene M. Nighman '81

I don't know what game he was looking at when he talked about the packed student sections. Tons of empty seats for York and Robert Morris. Even for RIT, we had 10 empty seats in our row in B.

Edit: The title of the email was "Sportsmanship and spirit at hockey games-draft"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2006 04:22PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:24PM

Dpperk29
BMac

Surely you've got to be joking...on both counts.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:35PM

Al DeFlorio
Dpperk29
BMac

Surely you've got to be joking...on both counts.
OK, I'm going to take Dpperk's side on this one. If we are going to get on RichS for rolling his eyes every time a Cornell fan says something positive about Cornell we can't exactly expect Clarkson fans to roll over and admit that Cornell is a better engineering school. For every reason that Cornell engineers think that it is, I presume Clarkson's engineers (and probably even RPI's ;) ) have a reason that it isn't.

Especially when dealing with a reasonable Knight like Dpperk, can we chill a little about our academic standing?

Re: Gene Nighman checks in
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:40PM

Gene Nighman
... SOME students continue to blemish the wholesome atmosphere of a premier sporting event...

The death knell of the Cornell hockey tradition will have already been rung if games at Lynah ever become known for their "wholesome atmosphere."

So many patronizing missives since, say, 1999 after relative silence from Athletics beforehand... I wonder what changed?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2006 04:42PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:54PM

ebilmes
Edit: The title of the email was "Sportsmanship and spirit at hockey games-draft"
Heh. Well done by them.

No mention of fish, though, eh?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:55PM

Scersk '97

So many patronizing missives since, say, 1999 after relative silence from Athletics beforehand... I wonder what changed?

Damned if I know...whistle

Date: November 06, 2006 04:57PM

ftyuv
Jeff Hopkins '82

Well it's an understandable mistake. After all, we are a state university. ;)

I think even fewer people know that.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:57PM

Scersk '97
Gene Nighman
... SOME students continue to blemish the wholesome atmosphere of a premier sporting event...

The death knell of the Cornell hockey tradition will have already been rung if games at Lynah ever become known for their "wholesome atmosphere."

I don't know but it occurred around the time it became acceptable to bring a four week old baby to a hockey game.

Date: November 06, 2006 05:05PM

ugarte
...we can't exactly expect Clarkson fans to roll over and admit that Cornell is a better engineering school.
Why not? I can readily admit that Caltech and MIT have engineering schools that overall are deemed superior to Cornell's. I can admit that Minnesota's and Wisconsin's hockey programs have been more successful over time than Cornell's. Likewise that the Lehigh wrestling program has been more successful than ours. And Hopkins, Princeton, and Syracuse lacrosse.

It's really not that hard to do, Charles. In fact, it's rather absurd to look reality in the eye and posture otherwise, don't you think?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 05:28PM

Al DeFlorio
In fact, it's rather absurd to look reality in the eye and posture otherwise, don't you think?

Whether absurd or not, denying reality seems to be something of a national obsession these days. bang

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: November 06, 2006 06:21PM

You, sir, are the joke and the one being absurd with these statements.

Date: November 06, 2006 06:26PM

Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio
In fact, it's rather absurd to look reality in the eye and posture otherwise, don't you think?

Whether absurd or not, denying reality seems to be something of a national obsession these days. bang
You'll get no argument from me on that observation.

Date: November 06, 2006 06:28PM

Rich S
Find me a ranking--by any informed third-party--that puts Clarkson's engineering school on a par with Cornell's. You won't. But that's never stopped your uninformed bullshit before.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 06:30PM

popcorn

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2006 06:35PM

Should we make a reservation somewhere, or can you two find your own room? fight

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 07:37PM

krose
popcorn
Yeah, I was kinda wondering how long it would be before RichS showed up on that one. popcorn

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 10:38PM

Al DeFlorio
Rich S
Find me a ranking--by any informed third-party--that puts Clarkson's engineering school on a par with Cornell's. You won't. But that's never stopped your uninformed bullshit before.

Way back on October 2nd, you wrote this:

"Now, I'm sure we can take this as your assurance that you'll never mock us or the Cornell team again, here or on the Round Table. Right?"

I guess you demand others live by rules you suggest but you don't have to do the same. That's pure BS.

Simply put, you are an arrogant individual who thinks he knows everything.

You have ripped Clarkson's academics particularly it's engineering school for a long time now. Your uniformed opinion holds no water. Tech's Engr programs are ranked highly by those who matter the most; hiring companies, in addition to being highly respected in academia. You're too arrogant to ever acknowledge the truth.

You offered many weeks ago that you used to work for "the number one technology company there was and we didn't give two shits about your third rate school." That's almost word for word.

Perhaps you worked for IBM? We all know where Big Blue's arrogance got them in recent years. If so, it sounds like you partook heavily of that IBM arrogance Kool-Aid.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 10:40PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Until a few years ago my mother's cousin thought that Cornell was in the Big Ten. She had attended Michigan when Cornell was beating them in football.

Date: November 06, 2006 10:42PM

Looks like some of you have some information on which school's engineering department is or isn't as good as the other's.

Please PM each other for details.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 11:08PM

David Harding
Jeff Hopkins '82

Until a few years ago my mother's cousin thought that Cornell was in the Big Ten. She had attended Michigan when Cornell was beating them in football.

Funny you should mention that. A few days ago I had the following conversation with a U of Rochester 2006 grad/college varsity athlete/upstate NY native:

her: I told him you went to Cornell. I couldn't believe he didn't know a Big Ten school.
me: Um, Cornell's Ivy League, not Big Ten.
her: Well, I knew they were Ivy League, but I thought they were also Big Ten.
me: Uh, no.
[beat]
her: Did you know Rochester's becoming Ivy League?
me [wondering if she's joking]: No, it's not.
her: No, seriously, I read it in an alumni newsletter.
me: Yeah, the Ivy League is an athletic conference...it's only eight teams. Rochester isn't one of them, nor is the conference expanding.
her: How do you know?

At that point I gave up.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 12:44AM

Um, yea, I'm gonna have John go ahead and check out some room rates on Orbitz for you two.

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 07, 2006 12:45AM

Well, I suppose so... not in my particular case, usually, but I understand where you're coming from.

I guess to me it's about what you say vs. what you think. Example: I KNOW 100% that we have a better engineering school than, say Harvard. While I would love to act the same way towards a Michigan, I know I'm wrong. Michigan's school is good enough that I can't really say that "we're better," whatever that means. And yes, RPI is comparable, though as someone not from the northeast I wouldn't really think of them.

Where the hell is Clarkson?

(note: above comment meant only for that annoying guy Rich S. All the other clarkson people seem to be nice, for all I know, although I HATE their hockey team and am looking forward to "throw the clipboard! clap-clap-clapclapclap! Does he seriously think they have a better ";)

Regardless, I did not mean to cause a riot. Sorry to RPI-ers, Michiganders and (the nice) Clarksonites. I guess I just meant to express my wonder at why fellow Cornellians are so bent up about this inferiority business, which I don't feel one iota of. Seems rather silly, when you consider the whole package that is Cornell...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 11:11AM

BMac
I guess I just meant to express my wonder at why fellow Cornellians are so bent up about this inferiority business, which I don't feel one iota of. Seems rather silly, when you consider the whole package that is Cornell...
Same here. I'm an engineer. I got rejected by MIT, which I know is a better engineering school. In retrospect I am glad I did since I had such a great experience at Cornell. No reason to feel inferior for going where I did.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 10, 2006 03:31PM

[www.graduateshotline.com]
[www.grad.berkeley.edu]
[www.usnews.com]

Ranking programs is not an exact science, but what're the standard errors for these estimates?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 08:41PM

And after a few weeks, there has been a post-game writeup in "SI on Campus"

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login