Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Mining the Crimson

Posted by Scersk 
Mining the Crimson
Posted by: Scersk (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 07:58PM

I do so love the motivational material provided for us by that unflinching beacon amongst college newspapers, the Harvard Crimson:

[q]
The ECAC’s crackdown on obstruction should also favor the faster, quicker teams in the league like Harvard, to the possible detriment of more physical teams like Cornell.

“We have a lot of speed,” junior forward Tyler Kolarik said. “A team like Cornell that doesn’t have a lot of speed or skill shut us down through obstruction and clutching and grabbing. So being on the power play all night is going to be a huge benefit.”
[/q]

Quoted from: [www.thecrimson.com]

I suppose our clutching and grabbing has resulted in our low penalty totals thus far in the season?

Re: Mining the Crimson
Posted by: Scersk (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 08:02PM

Excuse my wrongly used tags: shows you how long it's been since I've posted, and I can't edit it because I didn't log in. I guess I'm turning into a real techno-moron.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 08:52PM

This explains why Harvard did so well against clutch and grab Brown.

Posted by: Robb (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 09:10PM

Especially considering our pathetic penalty kill.....rolleyes

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 10:59PM

It's always good to have radio material fall right into your lap.

"Coach Mazzoleni, what did you make of Tyler Kolarik's comment that Cornell is a clutch and grab team with no skill?"

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 11:48PM

If I wasn't in Ithaca... I would sign up for a month of CornellPass just to hear the answer to that question (or at least sign up for the free trial). But seeing as I am, I'll probably be at Lynah already, maye someone'll tape it ;-).

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 12:46AM

Kolarik scores one soft goal at an opportune time and now he's talking trash about our ability to deal with their "faster skating" team. This guy isn't exactly what you'd call "Harvard material." Oh wait...

I hope he enjoys a face full of Doug Murray.

Posted by: mha (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 10:36AM

I'll be listening, Adam. If that crappy AM radio signal can make it into Lynah this season, that is.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 10:41AM

I had to buy a powered antenna to listen at home and it's still pretty awful. And that's in Ithaca...

Radio reception
Posted by: crodger1 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 11:11AM

Amazingly, as I told Age in Hanover Saturday, my car seems to get fantastic AM reception. Over the past month, I was able to listen to both an AM broadcast of OHL games (Windsor Spitfires v. London Knights, and then v. the Owen Sound Attack the following night) on CKLW (AM 800) in Connecticut and northern NJ from Windsor, Ontario(!) and this past weekend hear the UVM feed of the Cornell @ UVM game in downtown Boston from Burlington, VT! Sure, there was more than a little static, and the Vermont feed was interlaced with the Harvard and Maine feeds for that night, but I was still shocked.

But by the sound of it I should not hold out hope of getting the 870 feed for the CU games (I couldn't get it from NJ, even though I could get that Ontario one).

I bet that the tire dealer advertising on CKLW would be surprised at the size of the market they were able to reach.

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 11:34AM

There's nothing inherantly wrong with AM. In fact, an AM signal at the same wattage goes 10 times farther than FM. It's all about the wattage though, and whether AM stations in smaller towns have to power down so as not to interfere with stations on the same frequency in larger towns.

If they don't have to power down, or there's not a station on the same frequency interfering with it from a larger town, then it can travel a long way. On a good Saturday night from Central NY, you could listen to 8 NHL games and a few AHL - and it's always better in the car.

Ask me about growing up on Long Island during Mets-Cardinals pennant races -- doing everything imaginable to listen to KMOX out of St. Louis.

It seems as though, unfortunately, WHCU is forced to power down. Perhaps if you do what I used to do .... stand on one leg, holding the antenna with your other arm in the air. ... :-) Or just sit in the car.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 11:47AM

We need a "50,000 watt clear-channel voice of Cornell hockey" :-)

Posted by: kingpin248 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 11:53AM

Adam - you are correct about WHCU needing to power down. According to radio-locator.com, it operates at 5 kW during the day and 1 kW at night. The information, along with estimated coverage range maps, is at [www.radio-locator.com]

I seem to remember a former WVBR chief engineer saying something about a station coming from New Orleans being the cause of the change in power.

Re: Radio reception
Posted by: mha (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 12:33PM

Yep, my new Audi gets fantastic AM reception, actually, and I can listen to WHCU in my car as long as I'm not inside the parking garage or driving under an overpass or near a traffic light. (Poor Age said the blinking traffic light near his place keeps adding a static burst when he's listening at home.)

Sitting in my car for the whole broadcast has limited amusement value, though, especially in the winter.

Re: Radio Reception
Posted by: Ken71 (207.127.234.---)
Date: November 19, 2002 01:17PM

Perhaps it's not a defect inherent in AM broadcasting, but many of the times I'd like to listen to broadcasts of away games, I'm in a room with computers, and it takes a lot of futzing with a battery-powered receiver to get a signal without unbearable interference.

Back when the games were on FM, this wasn't a problem. The broadcasts were strong and clear - almost as if Cornell wanted them to be listened to, not just endured.

One solution had been to get the games via the Internet, but CornellPass makes that an annoyingly expensive way to get just a few away games a month.

Ken '71

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 01:29PM

:-)) So. . .should we breakout the good'ole welcome mat (see link below) for the boys from Harvard(sucks) on Friday???:-))

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 01:45PM

I suspect Harvard is going to get a face full of Doug Murray *and* Stephen Bâby *and* Greg Hornby *and* assorted McRaes and Abbotts all night long. The way Cornell looked in Placid, they wanted a five minute breather followed by an immediate rematch. It's been a looooooooooong summer.

Date: November 19, 2002 02:07PM

You need to ask?
I'll even take a better picture of it. heh.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: November 19, 2002 02:13PM

Who is that handsome guy on the left?

Date: November 19, 2002 02:14PM

That's a guy?

Broadcast power
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 02:34PM

Matt Carberry wrote:

I seem to remember a former WVBR chief engineer saying something about a station coming from New Orleans being the cause of the change in power.
You want I should take care a them for ya? :-P

Posted by: JohnnieAg99 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 03:00PM

It was a stupid thing to say, but...

"Opportune" is putting it mildly - it was the most heart-rendering goal we've given in a decade or more...

It was Matt's fault that it was a weak goal, not his :-(

Re: Broadcast power
Posted by: Ken71 (207.127.234.---)
Date: November 19, 2002 03:05PM

WWL is at 870 out of New Orleans - 50,000 watts at nighttime, but it's not "clear channel", so other stations (like WHCU) can try to hold their own on a regional basis.

KAIM is also on 870 and 50,000 watts, but it's in Honolulu.

Ken '71

Posted by: Erica (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 03:17PM

JohnnieAg'99 wrote:

It was a stupid thing to say, but...

"Opportune" is putting it mildly - it was the most heart-rendering goal we've given in a decade or more...

It was Matt's fault that it was a weak goal, not his :-(

I believe you mean heartrending: one word, no hyphen, no extra er

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 04:09PM

Another meaning of render is: to purify by melting (as in lard).

Sure did melt mine.:`(

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 05:20PM

laugh . . .and those two handsome young men on the right???:-))

Re: Broadcast power
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 06:05PM

Ken Deschere wrote:

WWL is at 870 out of New Orleans
Oh, crap. Look, Loyola sold that station years ago. It's not our fault! uhoh

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: November 19, 2002 07:00PM

yeah i think that the stinkin hill here in vestal makes that nice little coverage circle untrue. It stinks. I will have to try my car quickly in January to listen to see if there is a difference. If only they did not power down I could listen from my apartment! :-)
nut

Posted by: gtsully (12.26.72.---)
Date: November 20, 2002 11:40AM

Heart-wrenching, maybe? Or is it gut-wrenching? help

Posted by: JohnnieAg99 (---)
Date: November 20, 2002 03:01PM

Thanks for all the help. Next time I need a spell-check or a thesaurus, I won't need to go to www.harvardweenie.com :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login