Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who's going to Western Michigan?

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Who's going to Western Michigan?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 01:09AM

I'm contemplating whether or not to fly to Kalamazoo for the weekend in question. Anyone else planning to be there?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Who's going to Western Michigan?
Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 07:13AM

So let me get this straight, John. You'll pay $400 on the spur of the moment for a plane ticket - but you won't shell out the $35 ($7 x 5 mos.) for Real Audio access? :-)

Posted by: Adam '04 (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 07:32AM

John is part of the Lynah Faithful. He is also a man of integrity.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 07:40AM

And principle.:-)

Date: November 18, 2002 07:52AM

Actually, the cheapest ticket is something like $250 at the moment.

And I've already said that I'd gladly have donated twice what RealNetworks is charging to help offset the actual costs of a free-to-listen (and watch) service equivalent to what we had last year.

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: November 18, 2002 08:20AM

Getting back on topic, I'll be there.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 09:13AM

And I suspect many others would have done the same.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: November 18, 2002 06:49PM

I'll be there Saturday. I'll post an announcement I received today from the Cornell Midwest Regional Office regarding Cornell @ WMU.

Date: November 18, 2002 06:51PM

The following came from the Cornell Midwest Regional Office:

Join the Cornell Club of West Michigan
as they welcome
Head Coach Mike Schafer '86
and the
BIG RED HOCKEY TEAM
(ranked #9 nationally)

for a two game series against Western Michigan
December 6 & 7, 2002!

Join Cornell alumni, parents, friends, and fans
Saturday, December 7, 2002

7:05 pm Cornell Big Red vs. Western Michigan Broncos**
Lawson Ice Arena - WMU Campus, Kalamazoo

9:00pm Post-game Reception with the Coach & Team
(immediately following game)
Bernhard Center - WMU Campus, Kalamazoo

For anyone arriving early, we’ve arranged for a casual pre-game gathering (5-6:30pm) at
University Roadhouse, 1332 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, 616-345-7990.
There is a separate area for Cornell fans -- purchase your own food & drinks from the menu!

** Tickets for both games are still available through the Cornell Ticket Office at 607-254-BEAR.
(Note: the recorded message indicates that hockey tickets are sold out. . . for home games.)

For more information, contact Dick Bertrand ’70 (rlbertr@dellepro.com or 616-949-9966) or
Kathy Kraus ’91 in Cornell’s Midwest Regional Office (klk22@cornell.edu or 312-236-7850).
We hope to see you on December 7th! (Note: see below for directions and information.)

Please detach and return form by November 26, 2002 to:
Dick Bertrand, 1525 Woodcliff Avenue SE, East Grand Rapids, Michigan, 49506.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cornell Club of West Michigan
Hockey Reception with Coach Schafer and the Team

Name:
College & Year::
Address:
City, State, Zip:
Phone:
Email:
Guest/s (include College & Year):

#_____ at $10 each = $_____ children (ages 12 and under)
#_____ at $15 each = $_____ 2002-03 Cornell Club of West Michigan members/families
#_____ at $20 each = $_____ Alumni, parents, friends, and Big Red hockey fans
#_____ at $10 each = $_____ I would like to sponsor a coach or player
$_____ Enclosed is my 2002-03 Cornell Club of West Michigan dues ($25 single/couple)

$_________ TOTAL PAYMENT (Please make checks payable to: CC West Michigan)

Please detach and return form by November 26, 2002 to:
Dick Bertrand, 1525 Woodcliff Avenue SE, East Grand Rapids, Michigan, 49506.

Directions to Lawson Ice Arena:

From I-94: At exit #74, turn north onto US-131, go 2.7 miles; use the following directions for exiting from US-131.

From US-131: At exit #36, turn east onto Stadium Drive, go 2.2 miles; turn left on Howard Street. Cross railroad tracks and immediately turn right on S. VandeGiessen to enter campus. Turn left at stop sign on Western Ave and continue to 4-way stop. Turn left on Roell and continue to Lawson Ice Arena parking lots.

From M-43, North of Kalamazoo: Turn left off M-43 (Gull Road) in Kalamazoo on to Riverview Drive; go under the railroad overpass and bear right onto Michigan Avenue for 0.4 miles; it then becomes Kalamazoo Avenue. Continue until it becomes Stadium Drive. Pass Waldo Stadium, on your left, and turn right onto Howard Street, second light past the stadium. Cross railroad tracks and immediately turn right on S. VandeGiessen to enter campus. Turn left at stop sign on Western Ave and continue to 4-way stop. Turn left on Roell and continue to Lawson Ice Arena parking lots.

Parking Information
In general, plenty of parking is available on all sides of Lawson Ice Arena. After turning left at the 4-way stop on Roell, you will cross a bridge that takes you back over Howard Street. The arena will be directly in front of you. Parking lots are available to your immediate left, straight ahead and to the right.

Directions to University Roadhouse:
Proceed to Stadium Drive as indicated above. From Stadium Drive, turn on Oliver Street (heading west) and cross railroad tracks. Turn right onto Western Avenue. Turn right onto West Michigan Avenue. University Roadhouse will be on the left side -- it is a tan building with a red awning (shortly after Kinko’s).

Directions to Bernhard Center:
Proceed to Stadium Drive as indicated above. From Stadium Drive, turn on Oliver Street (heading west) and cross railroad tracks. Turn right onto Western Avenue. Turn left onto West Michigan Avenue and proceed up the hill. The Bernhard Center is located on the right at the top of the hill directly across the street from the Seibert Administration Building.

For a WMU map, check the link at [www.pp.wmich.edu].
Parking is available in all campus lots on weekends except where identified as 24 hour reserved parking.

GO BIG RED!!__________________________________________________

This email was produced by the Cornell University Midwest Regional Office.
We apologize if you received it in error. Please let us know if you would
rather not receive periodic messages from the University and we will remove
your email address from our mailing list. (Please note that it may take
several weeks for the change to be implemented.) Thank you.

Date: November 18, 2002 06:52PM

It's good to see Dick Bertrand's name on the Midwest Regional announcement.

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 07:51PM

Adam,

I have been thinking about buying a yuppy-fied AM antenna for $100 to $200 just to beat the $7 per month. It's really too bad that so many stations share 870 kHz. If it weren't for the french Canadian and southern interference it might be worth buying the damn antenna.

Marty

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 08:05PM

I can't be there but, if you're going to the reception and you have it, bring the Live at Lynah CD. I think if I'd done that at OSU it would have been fun. You'll also need to be sure someone has a player there. Maybe you can sneak it into the game instead of that awful piped in music during play stoppages.:-D Good luck and enjoy.

And Adam, don't get a complex but what the AD did was terrible and no reflection on you that we don't listen. In fact on occassion I can get 870 in Syracuse and listen but somehow I can't yet pay the money, especially since they have inhibited channel surfing by non-payers. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

As an aside, I still have not received a response from the AD's office about my lack of contributions this year. Oh well. The only thing I feel bad about is having to tell the players why I won't contribute this year. But there is still the CHA to contribute to.

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 09:05PM

Any other year I'd be seriously considering it, but it's right before final exams start.

Beeeej

Date: November 18, 2002 09:39PM

To answer my own question, I am going. Just ordered the plane ticket to Kalamazoo online. (And in so doing, kept 10,000 SkyMiles from getting flushed at the end of the year, so the fare is in a sense offset by 2/5 of the cost of a domestic roundtrip.)

Anyone interested in carpooling or sharing a hotel room should drop me a line. ;-)

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: November 18, 2002 11:26PM

Jim,

I'm not taking it personally ... I was just giving John a hard time, as he's done to me many times in the past :-)

Sure, I would love for everyone to hear the broadcast, not just for egomaniacal purposes (although most any "entertainer" would prefer as wide an audience as possible), but because I hate the thought that you all have to miss out on Mike Schafer's comments, and player interviews, and the Cornell perspective.

But everyone has made their own decision on what to do, and I don't begrudge anyone's feelings. Hopefully, one day, everyone can feel happy with each other again. As a broadcaster, my only interest in the matter is to be heard by as many people as possible -- however that happens.

Here, I was just teasing John.

AW

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login