ELynah Forum

General Category => Other Sports => Topic started by: chimpfood on July 07, 2026, 12:54:54 PM

Title: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: chimpfood on July 07, 2026, 12:54:54 PM
https://www.instagram.com/cornellmsoccer/?hl=en

Schedule drop. Again a little weaker than I'd like (no need to play Marist, Colgate, Binghamton, and Bucknell, will kill our rpi).

I'll say it again that this is the year to tune into Cornell soccer, I could see this team going a long way. My only spot of concern is center back, but if someone can step up there, we could be a quarterfinal team in the NCAA tourney.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: scoop85 on July 07, 2026, 04:43:55 PM

Seems like a fairly typical schedule for us -- Georgetown, PSU, and Syracuse are the notable out of conference games that will provide the greatest tests.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: arugula on July 08, 2026, 02:11:51 PM
Happy that the schedule stays  local-ish.  That California trip a few years ago just seemed wrong.  Call me old fashioned, but missing class for a week ain't a good idea.  I know I know they can take class remotely. 
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: billhoward on August 25, 2026, 11:00:42 AM
Cornell men's soccer second in pre-season poll. Princeton first. They meet Saturday Oct. 17, 4pm, at Princeton.

2026 Ivy League Men's Soccer Preseason Poll
Place    Team    Points (First Place Votes)

1.    Princeton    123 (14)
2.    Cornell      111 (2)
3.    Penn          94
4.    Harvard       79
5.    Brown         59
6.    Dartmouth     41
7.    Yale          39
8.    Columbia      30

Princeton is ranked #8 in the pre-season poll, which covers 25 teams. Cornell was Also Receiving Votes. 
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: stereax on August 25, 2026, 05:52:08 PM
I briefly considered going to a soccer game this week, because I'm that deprived of sports.

Then I realized how much I hate soccer, and that I think the men are away and the women don't line up with my schedule.

Best of luck to the Big Red this season. If anyone wants to go watch a soccer game WITH someone I'm here and it'll be a good time, but I can't do that shit alone. World's most boring sport.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: stereax on August 26, 2026, 02:26:51 PM
Quote from: stereax on August 25, 2026, 05:52:08 PMI briefly considered going to a soccer game this week, because I'm that deprived of sports.

Then I realized how much I hate soccer, and that I think the men are away and the women don't line up with my schedule.

Best of luck to the Big Red this season. If anyone wants to go watch a soccer game WITH someone I'm here and it'll be a good time, but I can't do that shit alone. World's most boring sport.
So now I have plans to go to the WSoc game on Sunday
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: Weder on August 26, 2026, 05:02:07 PM
Quote from: stereax on August 26, 2026, 02:26:51 PM
Quote from: stereax on August 25, 2026, 05:52:08 PMI briefly considered going to a soccer game this week, because I'm that deprived of sports.

Then I realized how much I hate soccer, and that I think the men are away and the women don't line up with my schedule.

Best of luck to the Big Red this season. If anyone wants to go watch a soccer game WITH someone I'm here and it'll be a good time, but I can't do that shit alone. World's most boring sport.
So now I have plans to go to the WSoc game on Sunday

Note the weirdness in the women's soccer regular season schedule:
* First eight games in a span of 24 days
* 13 days off
* Final eight games in a span of 62 days
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: scoop85 on August 30, 2026, 08:25:16 AM
A rather dominant 3-0 win at Marist to open the season. It took awhile for the team to find its legs, but after the 1st 10 minutes it was pretty much all Big Red. The transfer goalie from South Carolina got the start, and while he didn't have much work he did make a fantastic save off a free kick late in the 2nd half when we were up 2-0. Next up is the home opener against UCSB in a few days.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on August 30, 2026, 01:01:19 PM
Quote from: scoop85 on August 30, 2026, 08:25:16 AMA rather dominant 3-0 win at Marist to open the season. It took awhile for the team to find its legs, but after the 1st 10 minutes it was pretty much all Big Red. The transfer goalie from South Carolina got the start, and while he didn't have much work he did make a fantastic save off a free kick late in the 2nd half when we were up 2-0. Next up is the home opener against UCSB in a few days.
i watched most of the first half and they looked very good. really impressive ball control which wasn't always a strength.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: stereax on August 30, 2026, 11:20:05 PM
Quote from: stereax on August 26, 2026, 02:26:51 PM
Quote from: stereax on August 25, 2026, 05:52:08 PMI briefly considered going to a soccer game this week, because I'm that deprived of sports.

Then I realized how much I hate soccer, and that I think the men are away and the women don't line up with my schedule.

Best of luck to the Big Red this season. If anyone wants to go watch a soccer game WITH someone I'm here and it'll be a good time, but I can't do that shit alone. World's most boring sport.
So now I have plans to go to the WSoc game on Sunday
Well
(https://i.ibb.co/RkpQm63V/IMG20260830142400.jpg) (https://ibb.co/Q3FYRHP1)
predictably the game sucked but my friend and I yapped the whole time about all kinds'a stuff so that was fun :)
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: chimpfood on September 05, 2026, 03:48:08 AM
Last minute winner but looked dominant based on the stats. Couldn't watch so curious to hear from anyone who did. Top 10 road game vs Akron coming up
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: scoop85 on September 05, 2026, 08:04:10 AM
Quote from: chimpfood on September 05, 2026, 03:48:08 AMLast minute winner but looked dominant based on the stats. Couldn't watch so curious to hear from anyone who did. Top 10 road game vs Akron coming up

We were in control for all but a short stretch when USCB tied it up. Miller's game winner was a great shot. Only disappointment was having nothing to show for 12 corners, but overall a terrific performance against a very good opponent.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on September 06, 2026, 02:17:54 AM
Quote from: scoop85 on September 05, 2026, 08:04:10 AM
Quote from: chimpfood on September 05, 2026, 03:48:08 AMLast minute winner but looked dominant based on the stats. Couldn't watch so curious to hear from anyone who did. Top 10 road game vs Akron coming up

We were in control for all but a short stretch when USCB tied it up. Miller's game winner was a great shot. Only disappointment was having nothing to show for 12 corners, but overall a terrific performance against a very good opponent.
We really dominated - 12 corners to 0, 12 shots to 4 - and even the UCSB goal came as a result of a bad tackle / yellow card. All three goals were really nice. Our first was a snipe when the Gauchos goalie was expecting a cross that started with a clean tackle to take possession. Their goal was a 25 yard bullet. Our final goal was a clean strike off of an excellent passing sequence. We did get a little lucky that they put a great shot off the crossbar. Would have been a disaster to lose with the run of play so clearly in our favor.

Did not expect wins over Marist and UCSB to have us all the way up at 3 in RPI (https://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI%20Rank). Conference favorite Princeton, at 2-0-1 (tie against RPI #13 Villanova), is at RPI #32.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: Beeeej on September 08, 2026, 05:10:57 PM
Quote from: ugarte on September 06, 2026, 02:17:54 AMDid not expect wins over Marist and UCSB to have us all the way up at 3 in RPI (https://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI%20Rank). Conference favorite Princeton, at 2-0-1 (tie against RPI #13 Villanova), is at RPI #32.

Even more fun, other results in the interim seem to have driven us up to #1.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: Al DeFlorio on September 08, 2026, 08:04:21 PM
Red 1, Zips zip at halftime
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: Al DeFlorio on September 08, 2026, 09:15:20 PM
Yuck.  Last minute goal gives Akron 3 - 2 lead.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on September 09, 2026, 12:57:02 AM
ugh
at least they may be the best team on our schedule so it won't be a damaging loss
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on September 09, 2026, 10:57:16 AM
spoke too soon. next game is against pitt, another elite team. they knocked us out of ncaa's last year. no surprise, beating us vaulted akron to #1 in RPI.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on September 16, 2026, 04:12:13 PM
Quote from: ugarte on September 09, 2026, 10:57:16 AMspoke too soon. next game is against pitt, another elite team. they knocked us out of ncaa's last year. no surprise, beating us vaulted akron to #1 in RPI.
A second loss, 2-0 at Pittsburgh. Not a big surprise. Akron and Pitt are, respectively, the current #5 and 6 teams in the country. Cornell is currently at #13. The closest Ivy team is Princeton at 39, but Penn and Brown are both top 75 as well.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on September 22, 2026, 04:24:56 PM
Western Michigan is so bad that beating them 2-0 on the road dropped us to #32, behind Princeton (13) and Penn (17). Our SOS fell from the top 5 to 37th.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: dbilmes on September 26, 2026, 08:34:42 PM
Soccer team scores four goals in second half to beat Harvard, 4-1, in Ivy opener. Overall, a great day for Cornell sports. In addition to the football win over Yale, the women's soccer team beat Yale, 1-0, and the field hockey team beat No. 15 Yale, 3-2, for Cornell's first road win over a ranked team in 19 years. I wouldn't mind a few more fall weekends like this!
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: dbilmes on October 03, 2026, 07:35:01 PM
Cornell scored two second-half goals to rally for a 2-1 win at Brown. I wasn't watching the game, but Brown's goal came early in the first half on a penalty kick after the Cornell goalie was issued a yellow card. I may go back to watch the replay of the game just to see what happened. Cornell is now 2-0 in Ivies and 6-2 overall.
Cornell hosts UMass in a non-league game Tuesday night. UMass has lost to Princeton and Harvard and defeated Yale. Cornell returns to Ivy play with a home game next weekend against Penn.
In lieu of starting a separate thread for the field hockey team, although it may well deserve one, Cornell beat Brown, 3-0, on Friday night and is off to a 3-0 start in the Ivies for the first time in 12 years.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on October 04, 2026, 12:33:26 AM
Quote from: dbilmes on October 03, 2026, 07:35:01 PMCornell scored two second-half goals to rally for a 2-1 win at Brown. I wasn't watching the game, but Brown's goal came early in the first half on a penalty kick after the Cornell goalie was issued a yellow card. I may go back to watch the replay of the game just to see what happened. ...
I went to the replay. Excellent through ball to give the Brown player a free run into the box. Goalie came out to cut him off, dove at the ball but got his foot instead and tripped him. Legit yellow and PK.

Cornell's first goal arguably had a player offside who interfered with Brown goalie. He was obviously offside but after review they must have ruled that he didn't affect play. Second goal was a nice sideline run to near the goal line from Momanyi, who then made a nice pass back upfield to the center of the box and Schaban hit a perfect volley.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on October 05, 2026, 05:55:41 PM
Soccer RPI (https://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI%20Rank) volatility is wild. We're back up at 15. Penn is at 28, Princeton 23. Dartmouth stunned Princeton at home and sits in the 50s despite a 3-4-2 record due to the 11th toughest SOS.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on October 07, 2026, 08:36:18 AM
Cornell tied UMass 1-1 at home in a game stopped after ~74 minutes due to lightning. The game report on the CU site is pretty clear that Cornell controlled the game, with UMass's early goal coming against the run of play and their goalie standing on his head to keep the score level after we tied it up.

Penn comes to town on Saturday. Big game for Ivy seeding and shoring up the postseason resume.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: upprdeck on October 07, 2026, 09:15:10 AM
not lightning.  Lighting problems.

Cornell deserved a win, the goalie made some crazy sequence saves for them.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on October 07, 2026, 09:54:10 AM
Quote from: upprdeck on October 07, 2026, 09:15:10 AMnot lightning.  Lighting problems.

oh lol
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: chimpfood on October 07, 2026, 01:43:00 PM
We've been without our two best players, Kolbl and Miller, for a while now, creating a big time gap in the midfield which is supposed to be our strong point. We need to keep treading water without them and get them back for the playoffs.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on October 07, 2026, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: chimpfood on October 07, 2026, 01:43:00 PMWe've been without our two best players, Kolbl and Miller, for a while now, creating a big time gap in the midfield which is supposed to be our strong point. We need to keep treading water without them and get them back for the playoffs.
schaban has been nails
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: chimpfood on October 07, 2026, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: ugarte on October 07, 2026, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: chimpfood on October 07, 2026, 01:43:00 PMWe've been without our two best players, Kolbl and Miller, for a while now, creating a big time gap in the midfield which is supposed to be our strong point. We need to keep treading water without them and get them back for the playoffs.
schaban has been nails
yeah but he would be playing if both of them were healthy, just on the wing. I'm surprised we haven't seen Omar Bolanos yet. He plays a 6 for the Guatemala u19 team and got solid minutes for Houston dynamo 2, but hasn't seen the field even with the injuries.
Title: Re: Cornell Soccer 2026
Post by: ugarte on October 07, 2026, 02:27:07 PM
Quote from: chimpfood on October 07, 2026, 02:18:07 PM
Quote from: ugarte on October 07, 2026, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: chimpfood on October 07, 2026, 01:43:00 PMWe've been without our two best players, Kolbl and Miller, for a while now, creating a big time gap in the midfield which is supposed to be our strong point. We need to keep treading water without them and get them back for the playoffs.
schaban has been nails
yeah but he would be playing if both of them were healthy, just on the wing. I'm surprised we haven't seen Omar Bolanos yet. He plays a 6 for the Guatemala u19 team and got solid minutes for Houston dynamo 2, but hasn't seen the field even with the injuries.
i didn't mean to suggest that schaban was filling in, i meant that he's been keeping us afloat while waiting for his teammates to return. i don't know anything about bolanos (or if he's nursing an injury).