ELynah Forum

General Category => Hockey => Topic started by: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:28:42 PM

Title: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:28:42 PM
Starting the thread for free agency - Jeff Malott is going to the Ducks.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:48:00 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:28:42 PMJeff Malott is going to the Ducks.
3 years, 1.85M AAV, apparently.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Beeeej on July 01, 2026, 04:03:13 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:48:00 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:28:42 PMJeff Malott is going to the Ducks.
3 years, 1.85M AAV, apparently.

Not bad for a journey of less than thirty miles.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on July 01, 2026, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:48:00 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:28:42 PMJeff Malott is going to the Ducks.
3 years, 1.85M AAV, apparently.

Is it a two way deal or NHL deal?  The Ducks lost Jeff Viel today so Malott should be able to step right into that role.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 01, 2026, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on July 01, 2026, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:48:00 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:28:42 PMJeff Malott is going to the Ducks.
3 years, 1.85M AAV, apparently.

Is it a two way deal or NHL deal?  The Ducks lost Jeff Viel today so Malott should be able to step right into that role.
Seems like a pure NHL deal. AAV that high doesn't go two-way from experience.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on July 01, 2026, 11:43:14 PM
Travis Mitchell also headed to the Ducks but his deal is a two way
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on July 05, 2026, 08:07:17 PM
Jacob MacDonald signs two way with Washington.  Hopefully he is fully back from the injury that wiped out most of last season
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Trotsky on July 06, 2026, 04:51:15 AM
Quote from: Beeeej on July 01, 2026, 04:03:13 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:48:00 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 01, 2026, 03:28:42 PMJeff Malott is going to the Ducks.
3 years, 1.85M AAV, apparently.

Not bad for a journey of less than thirty miles.
But the traffic...
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 15, 2026, 06:10:52 PM
Tim Rego signs with the Abbotsford Canucks (AHL).
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: jkahn on July 16, 2026, 03:01:11 PM
Chris Abbott's name is now on the Stanley Cup, along with owner Tom Dundon's 7 kids.  Chris is the Hurricanes' VP- Pro Player Personnel.   Braden Birch, who was the Panthers' Director of Hockey Operations and Salary Cap Management, also has his name on the Cup from 2024.  He was with the Panthers in 2025, but the Panthers decided to share the cup naming privilege that year with additional front office personnel who didn't make it onto the cup in '24.  Salary cap management was a key to the Panthers cup victories, so much so that they've changed the rules.  Braden has moved on this post-season to became Asst. GM of the Devils.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: arugula on July 16, 2026, 05:27:28 PM
Calgary visits MSG in the afternoon of the Frozen Apple. With Castagna?

Also, Jane is hired by the Sabres to create content. Great news for her.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 16, 2026, 06:08:52 PM
Quote from: arugula on July 16, 2026, 05:27:28 PMCalgary visits MSG in the afternoon of the Frozen Apple. With Castagna?

Also, Jane is hired by the Sabres to create content. Great news for her.
Awesome news for Jane!!!

From my understanding of the current Flames lines, he might start the season in the A. But it would be a great gesture to call him up for that road trip.

I'm already lightly debating doing the FLA @ WSH game on the 27th and then taking a train up to NYC for Saturday.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: arugula on July 16, 2026, 10:48:52 PM
As a Rangers season ticket holder, every year I consider doing the doubleheader that Saturday,, with Rangers playing in the afternoon but then I decide I'd rather stay married. 
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 17, 2026, 12:40:35 AM
Quote from: arugula on July 16, 2026, 10:48:52 PMAs a Rangers season ticket holder, every year I consider doing the doubleheader that Saturday,, with Rangers playing in the afternoon but then I decide I'd rather stay married. 
Hahaha! See, the problem is if I try to catch the afternoon game with the Rangers that's 1) expensive as hell bc MSG and 2) requires me either leaving Ithaca BUMFUCK early or staying an extra night in NYC (expensive).

A couple of internet friends and I are trying to find a game to meet up and go to together, and we kind of circled DC because one of us has a place there and decent extra couches to crash on, we're all at least sort of fond of the Capitals (and watching Ovi at home in probably his last season for real would be awesome), and it's centrally enough located that it's easy enough for most of us to get there - probably by plane. VERY much up in the air though. And if it does happen we're shooting for I think the March 17 game vs the Islanders, which I'd probably leave Ithaca the morning of the 17th (got classes that week lmfao), take a flight down to IAD, hang with the group for the day, game in the evening, then Thursday is in the air - either we spend a 2nd day in DC and I head out IAD to ALB Friday morning and hitch a ride from someone going that way up to Placid, or I take that flight Thursday and stay the night in Albany in my Shitty Hotelâ„¢. Or I take the train to Albany. I think that might be cheaper than a plane... Or like, wherever there's someone who's willing to put an annoying law student in their car for the ride up to LP.

But like. None of us have any idea about what's actually gonna happen lol. And we were just like "this would be hella fun" when the schedule dropped. Chances are this doesn't happen at all 😂
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: RichH on July 17, 2026, 10:24:02 AM
Avoid IAD if you can (depending on where the friends live). It's a long walk inside the airport tunnels to Metro followed by a long hour on the Metro to get to the actual District. DCA is so much more convenient for both arrivals and departures (6 Metro stops to the arena).

For an Albany flight, BWI has plenty of direct Southwest flights and can be reached via Maryland commuter rail or a $15 Amtrak ticket. 30 minutes.

You can do Amtrak and change trains at NYP, just book ahead, otherwise it can be pricier than flights. Or there are plenty of nice $25 buses to NY from DC's Union Station or DuPont Circle and then Amtrak to Albany. Again, book at least 3 weeks in advance.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: arugula on July 17, 2026, 03:24:58 PM
Heartily agree.  Dulles is terrible and terribly inconvenient.  BWI an excellent option
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 17, 2026, 03:30:22 PM
Quote from: RichH on July 17, 2026, 10:24:02 AMAvoid IAD if you can (depending on where the friends live). It's a long walk inside the airport tunnels to Metro followed by a long hour on the Metro to get to the actual District. DCA is so much more convenient for both arrivals and departures (6 Metro stops to the arena).

For an Albany flight, BWI has plenty of direct Southwest flights and can be reached via Maryland commuter rail or a $15 Amtrak ticket. 30 minutes.

You can do Amtrak and change trains at NYP, just book ahead, otherwise it can be pricier than flights. Or there are plenty of nice $25 buses to NY from DC's Union Station or DuPont Circle and then Amtrak to Albany. Again, book at least 3 weeks in advance.
You can only fly to IAD from Ithaca lol

But yeah I think if we start seriously planning this it'll be in the fall and I'll figure out my travel then
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Weder on July 17, 2026, 06:18:53 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 17, 2026, 03:30:22 PM
Quote from: RichH on July 17, 2026, 10:24:02 AMAvoid IAD if you can (depending on where the friends live). It's a long walk inside the airport tunnels to Metro followed by a long hour on the Metro to get to the actual District. DCA is so much more convenient for both arrivals and departures (6 Metro stops to the arena).

For an Albany flight, BWI has plenty of direct Southwest flights and can be reached via Maryland commuter rail or a $15 Amtrak ticket. 30 minutes.

You can do Amtrak and change trains at NYP, just book ahead, otherwise it can be pricier than flights. Or there are plenty of nice $25 buses to NY from DC's Union Station or DuPont Circle and then Amtrak to Albany. Again, book at least 3 weeks in advance.
You can only fly to IAD from Ithaca lol

But yeah I think if we start seriously planning this it'll be in the fall and I'll figure out my travel then

The Metro into DC from Dulles isn't that bad. It's a long ride, but it's inexpensive and depending on time of day it can be faster than driving. I live 10 minutes from DCA, but at this point I just want a non-stop flight so I use Dulles when it makes sense to.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: RichH on July 17, 2026, 07:49:21 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 17, 2026, 03:30:22 PMYou can only fly to IAD from Ithaca lol

But yeah I think if we start seriously planning this it'll be in the fall and I'll figure out my travel then

Fair enough. I keep losing track as to what airlines keep routes in and out of the tiny NY airports like Ithaca and Corning/Elmira. They keep tossing them around like a money-losing hot potato. For years it was either USAir or Continental only with one destination (like PIT or PHL or DTW), but now both United and Delta are competing in ITH, which is good news. I took the route to Pittsburgh from Ithaca that made a stop in Elmira - in the air for 12 minutes.

For an Albany flight, all 3 Washington airports have nonstop options.

 
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 26, 2026, 11:10:41 AM
FFJOL re-ups with the Admirals! (https://x.com/i/status/2081144967079305454)
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Swampy on July 27, 2026, 02:10:41 PM
Quote from: RichH on July 17, 2026, 07:49:21 PM
Quote from: stereax on July 17, 2026, 03:30:22 PMYou can only fly to IAD from Ithaca lol

But yeah I think if we start seriously planning this it'll be in the fall and I'll figure out my travel then

I just flew from IAD to ITH and can vouch that it's pretty sucky. Have you considered flying from Syracuse?

Fair enough. I keep losing track as to what airlines keep routes in and out of the tiny NY airports like Ithaca and Corning/Elmira. They keep tossing them around like a money-losing hot potato. For years it was either USAir or Continental only with one destination (like PIT or PHL or DTW), but now both United and Delta are competing in ITH, which is good news. I took the route to Pittsburgh from Ithaca that made a stop in Elmira - in the air for 12 minutes.

For an Albany flight, all 3 Washington airports have nonstop options.

 
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Trotsky on July 28, 2026, 02:43:03 PM
Use IAD for NoVa.

Use BWI for DC.

Use DCA if you are a bribe for Dump (parcel or underage woman).
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on July 28, 2026, 02:43:03 PMUse IAD for NoVa.

Use BWI for DC.

Use DCA if you are a bribe for Dump (parcel or underage woman).

Thanks for the laugh. BWI is for Baltimore. As you know, I live in DC. It takes longer to drive between DC and BWI than to fly from there to say LGA. That doesn't count the time to get from a distant parking garage at BWI to a terminal.

IAD has improved since the Metro Silver Line was completed, although it also takes ages between the terminal and the Metro station. Even with its faults, I will still use DCA.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on July 28, 2026, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on July 28, 2026, 02:43:03 PMUse IAD for NoVa.

Use BWI for DC.

Use DCA if you are a bribe for Dump (parcel or underage woman).

Thanks for the laugh. BWI is for Baltimore. As you know, I live in DC. It takes longer to drive between DC and BWI than to fly from there to say LGA. That doesn't count the time to get from a distant parking garage at BWI to a terminal.

IAD has improved since the Metro Silver Line was completed, although it also takes ages between the terminal and the Metro station. Even with its faults, I will still use DCA.


DCA is really nice since they did away with having to take busses out to a waiting airplane.  They have made a lot of terminal improvements in recent years as well.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 28, 2026, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: Swampy on July 27, 2026, 02:10:41 PMI just flew from IAD to ITH and can vouch that it's pretty sucky. Have you considered flying from Syracuse?

Welcome to Ithaca!

But, well, getting to Cuse is another charge, and then Cuse to DC... DC to NYC... NYC home... probably need to spend the night in DC and get to NYC at like 10 am on the train... then find somewhere to put my bags...

Traveling is difficult 😂 and we haven't talked any about trying to coordinate games after the first initial talk.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:46:00 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on July 28, 2026, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on July 28, 2026, 02:43:03 PMUse IAD for NoVa.

Use BWI for DC.

Use DCA if you are a bribe for Dump (parcel or underage woman).

Quote from: VIEWfromK on July 28, 2026, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on July 28, 2026, 02:43:03 PMUse IAD for NoVa.

Use BWI for DC.

Use DCA if you are a bribe for Dump (parcel or underage woman).

Thanks for the laugh. BWI is for Baltimore. As you know, I live in DC. It takes longer to drive between DC and BWI than to fly from there to say LGA. That doesn't count the time to get from a distant parking garage at BWI to a terminal.

IAD has improved since the Metro Silver Line was completed, although it also takes ages between the terminal and the Metro station. Even with its faults, I will still use DCA.


DCA is really nice since they did away with having to take busses out to a waiting airplane.  They have made a lot of terminal improvements in recent years as well.

Thanks for the laugh. BWI is for Baltimore. As you know, I live in DC. It takes longer to drive between DC and BWI than to fly from there to say LGA. That doesn't count the time to get from a distant parking garage at BWI to a terminal.

IAD has improved since the Metro Silver Line was completed, although it also takes ages between the terminal and the Metro station. Even with its faults, I will still use DCA.


DCA is really nice since they did away with having to take busses out to a waiting airplane.  They have made a lot of terminal improvements in recent years as well.

As far as I know, that was only for small planes like used for flights between DCA and Albany. I don't recall ever needing a bus for a flight from DCA to or from LGA.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Weder on July 28, 2026, 05:51:07 PM
Quote from: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:46:00 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on July 28, 2026, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on July 28, 2026, 02:43:03 PMUse IAD for NoVa.

Use BWI for DC.

Use DCA if you are a bribe for Dump (parcel or underage woman).

Quote from: VIEWfromK on July 28, 2026, 03:25:37 PM
Quote from: ursusminor on July 28, 2026, 03:12:31 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on July 28, 2026, 02:43:03 PMUse IAD for NoVa.

Use BWI for DC.

Use DCA if you are a bribe for Dump (parcel or underage woman).

Thanks for the laugh. BWI is for Baltimore. As you know, I live in DC. It takes longer to drive between DC and BWI than to fly from there to say LGA. That doesn't count the time to get from a distant parking garage at BWI to a terminal.

IAD has improved since the Metro Silver Line was completed, although it also takes ages between the terminal and the Metro station. Even with its faults, I will still use DCA.


DCA is really nice since they did away with having to take busses out to a waiting airplane.  They have made a lot of terminal improvements in recent years as well.

Thanks for the laugh. BWI is for Baltimore. As you know, I live in DC. It takes longer to drive between DC and BWI than to fly from there to say LGA. That doesn't count the time to get from a distant parking garage at BWI to a terminal.

IAD has improved since the Metro Silver Line was completed, although it also takes ages between the terminal and the Metro station. Even with its faults, I will still use DCA.


DCA is really nice since they did away with having to take busses out to a waiting airplane.  They have made a lot of terminal improvements in recent years as well.

As far as I know, that was only for small planes like used for flights between DCA and Albany. I don't recall ever needing a bus for a flight from DCA to or from LGA.

DCA Terminal 1 is still a glorified bus station.

The walk to Metro at IAD is better than the walk to the L at ORD, much worse than the walk to the light rail at PDX (about 50 steps from baggage claim, if you've never been).
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on July 30, 2026, 05:37:34 PM
If you're aware of Da Beauty League (summer league in Minnesota where a good amount of NHL players screw around), seems they've introduced women's teams too. Guilday and Daniel played last night. Decent smattering of PWHL Frost players as well as other high-level PWHL players too.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on July 31, 2026, 07:33:11 PM
We were at a restaurant in Alexandria Bay today and they had a signed Colin Greening Sens jersey hanging on the wall next to a Clarke MacArthur signed Leafs jersey and a signed Zach Bogosian Jets jersey.  Nice touch.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Chris H82 on August 05, 2026, 04:45:33 PM
Not directly referencing any Cornell hockey alums, but it talks about NHL rookies: https://www.nytimes.com/2026/07/22/style/second-city-improv-athletes-nhl.html
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on August 24, 2026, 08:41:36 PM
Just saw a real adult human in Canes cup champ merch by CTB.

I think I can sue for damages.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Jim Hyla on August 27, 2026, 09:00:16 AM
Quote from: Weder on July 28, 2026, 05:51:07 PMDCA Terminal 1 is still a glorified bus station.

The walk to Metro at IAD is better than the walk to the L at ORD, much worse than the walk to the light rail at PDX (about 50 steps from baggage claim, if you've never been).
And as my daughter would say, the walk in any Japanese station is better than any walk here.

Come on and spend some money USA.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: RichH on August 27, 2026, 10:39:23 AM
Quote from: Jim Hyla on August 27, 2026, 09:00:16 AM
Quote from: Weder on July 28, 2026, 05:51:07 PMDCA Terminal 1 is still a glorified bus station.

The walk to Metro at IAD is better than the walk to the L at ORD, much worse than the walk to the light rail at PDX (about 50 steps from baggage claim, if you've never been).
And as my daughter would say, the walk in any Japanese station is better than any walk here.

Come on and spend some money USA.

Just call it car infrastructure, and you can get as much money as is available.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Jeff Hopkins '82 on August 27, 2026, 12:20:42 PM
Quote from: Jim Hyla on August 27, 2026, 09:00:16 AM
Quote from: Weder on July 28, 2026, 05:51:07 PMDCA Terminal 1 is still a glorified bus station.

The walk to Metro at IAD is better than the walk to the L at ORD, much worse than the walk to the light rail at PDX (about 50 steps from baggage claim, if you've never been).
And as my daughter would say, the walk in any Japanese station is better than any walk here.

Come on and spend some money USA.

The walk from the Narita Express platform at Tokyo station to the surface is not exactly simple.  It's about a mile long and 5 levels deep.  For that matter, Tokyo Station is a maze.  And with almost a million people passing through it every day, it's basically semi-organized chaos.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: arugula on September 10, 2026, 01:11:58 PM
Back to the thread topic.  Michael Suda in rookie camp with the Rangers.  Had a very good year at ECHL Worcester last season.  Maybe has a shot at AHL this year, or perhaps ECHL is as high as it gets.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: The Rancor on September 10, 2026, 06:10:02 PM
Hopefully he gets at least an AHL shot- 6'1" 207 with a left shot and hasn't had a minus +/- season since JR hockey. He's only 24.
Not sure how the Rangers depth chart looks, is he on an ECHL contract? Who has his rights?
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: arugula on September 10, 2026, 10:26:45 PM
Appears that he is signed with Worcester.  Rangers have a lot of young, mostly not great defense so who knows.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Weder on September 16, 2026, 10:31:36 AM
Jessica Campbell joins the Devils as manager of player development.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/49956684/sources-jessica-campbell-bryan-mccabe-latest-join-devils
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 16, 2026, 11:16:57 AM
Quote from: Weder on September 16, 2026, 10:31:36 AMJessica Campbell joins the Devils as manager of player development.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/49956684/sources-jessica-campbell-bryan-mccabe-latest-join-devils
the least sunny could do for me after hiring donato
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: jkahn on September 16, 2026, 07:59:15 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 16, 2026, 11:16:57 AM
Quote from: Weder on September 16, 2026, 10:31:36 AMJessica Campbell joins the Devils as manager of player development.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/49956684/sources-jessica-campbell-bryan-mccabe-latest-join-devils
the least sunny could do for me after hiring donato
But also brought in Braden Birch as Asst. GM.   Cornell 2 - Harvard 1
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on September 20, 2026, 06:00:48 PM
Is there any word if Castagna might play tonight in the Flames preseason opener?  I saw Kempf was cut from the Avalanche training camp and I also saw that Justin Ertle played in the Stars game Friday😜
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 20, 2026, 08:48:09 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 20, 2026, 06:00:48 PMIs there any word if Castagna might play tonight in the Flames preseason opener?  I saw Kempf was cut from the Avalanche training camp and I also saw that Justin Ertle played in the Stars game Friday😜
He's playing now! I'm watching! He looks fuckin great out there. Motor, smart plays, very good chances, willing to drive the net and block shots. Possibly could have gotten secondary assist on the goal in the first period.

Problem is there's a 37, a 38, and a 39 out there, so I constantly think he's out there and then catch it's the wrong gait.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: BearLover on September 21, 2026, 07:14:00 AM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 20, 2026, 06:00:48 PMIs there any word if Castagna might play tonight in the Flames preseason opener?  I saw Kempf was cut from the Avalanche training camp and I also saw that Justin Ertle played in the Stars game Friday😜
Don't worry. 0% chance Ertel sniffs a real NHL game anytime soon.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 21, 2026, 04:19:45 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 20, 2026, 08:48:09 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 20, 2026, 06:00:48 PMIs there any word if Castagna might play tonight in the Flames preseason opener?  I saw Kempf was cut from the Avalanche training camp and I also saw that Justin Ertle played in the Stars game Friday😜
He's playing now! I'm watching! He looks fuckin great out there. Motor, smart plays, very good chances, willing to drive the net and block shots. Possibly could have gotten secondary assist on the goal in the first period.

Problem is there's a 37, a 38, and a 39 out there, so I constantly think he's out there and then catch it's the wrong gait.
Jane points out the play in question, for the curious. (https://x.com/JaneMcNally_/status/2101888569966993714)
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Cornell troll on September 21, 2026, 11:52:57 PM
Jacob MacDonald got a secondary assist tonight for the Caps
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 23, 2026, 03:41:19 PM
Really fun Avi Adam article. (https://x.com/TheIceGarden/status/2102685579485868259)
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on September 23, 2026, 08:49:52 PM
Stanley is playing in the home game in the split squad Leafs-Sens matchup.  Couldn't tell if he played in the Kraft Hockeyville game the other night or not
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 23, 2026, 10:49:55 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 23, 2026, 08:49:52 PMStanley is playing in the home game in the split squad Leafs-Sens matchup.  Couldn't tell if he played in the Kraft Hockeyville game the other night or not
He scored! (https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/tor-ott-stanley-scores-goal-against-anthony-stolarz-6405516126112) And, as per a friend, was named second star.

Holy shit just watched it forehand backhand top shelf dipsy doo NASTY work.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on September 24, 2026, 07:45:21 AM
Quote from: stereax on September 23, 2026, 10:49:55 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 23, 2026, 08:49:52 PMStanley is playing in the home game in the split squad Leafs-Sens matchup.  Couldn't tell if he played in the Kraft Hockeyville game the other night or not
He scored! (https://www.nhl.com/senators/video/tor-ott-stanley-scores-goal-against-anthony-stolarz-6405516126112) And, as per a friend, was named second star.

Holy shit just watched it forehand backhand top shelf dipsy doo NASTY work.

We typically only saw the forehand snipe when he would activate like that.  That was very nice.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: scoop85 on September 24, 2026, 08:33:27 AM
That is a terrific play by anyone, let alone a defenseman. And, I'm impressed how much juice there was in that crowd for a preseason game.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 24, 2026, 08:29:56 PM
In re Stanley: (https://x.com/EverydaySens/status/2103149733560934737)

Hoyt Stanley is expected to skate with the NHL group today. #GoSensGo

Stanley produced 1 goal, 4 blocks and a +2 rating in Ottawa's 4-2 loss last night. He led skaters with 17:46 TOI at 5v5- conceding just 1 high-danger chance in that time.

Stanley won the award for 'hardest worker' at development camp this summer. Getting a look with Zub injured.. 👀
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on September 25, 2026, 07:04:08 PM
I'm definitely rusty.  I missed that Castagna scored last night.  On the NHL site hilites there's a Cornell mention.

Fegaras is listed as a scratch for Dallas tonight.  I looked back but it doesn't look like he's played in the preseason.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 25, 2026, 07:20:44 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 25, 2026, 07:04:08 PMI'm definitely rusty.  I missed that Castagna scored last night.  On the NHL site hilites there's a Cornell mention.

Fegaras is listed as a scratch for Dallas tonight.  I looked back but it doesn't look like he's played in the preseason.
Fegaras is still in Ithaca 😅
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 25, 2026, 07:22:50 PM
Castagoal here. (https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/50024537)

Feels like Flames staff really want him driving the net. Don't know if I've seen him do that quite as much here.

Also, not sure I realized he's actually quite tall, but when he's surrounded by other 6'5" 200+lb players like the ones we recruit it's easy to miss 😂
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 07:42:44 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 25, 2026, 07:22:50 PMCastagoal here. (https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/50024537)

Feels like Flames staff really want him driving the net. Don't know if I've seen him do that quite as much here.

Also, not sure I realized he's actually quite tall, but when he's surrounded by other 6'5" 200+lb players like the ones we recruit it's easy to miss 😂
He drove the net plenty in college. See e.g. his two goals to open the 2024 ECAC Championship.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 07:44:30 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 25, 2026, 07:04:08 PMFegaras is listed as a scratch for Dallas tonight.  I looked back but it doesn't look like he's played in the preseason.
???
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on September 25, 2026, 11:25:54 PM
Quote from: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 07:44:30 PM
Quote from: VIEWfromK on September 25, 2026, 07:04:08 PMFegaras is listed as a scratch for Dallas tonight.  I looked back but it doesn't look like he's played in the preseason.
???

I said I was rusty but I saw what I saw on the game notes on NHL.com.  They even convinced me that he was a goner
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 26, 2026, 01:08:32 AM
Quote from: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 07:42:44 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 25, 2026, 07:22:50 PMCastagoal here. (https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/50024537)

Feels like Flames staff really want him driving the net. Don't know if I've seen him do that quite as much here.

Also, not sure I realized he's actually quite tall, but when he's surrounded by other 6'5" 200+lb players like the ones we recruit it's easy to miss 😂
He drove the net plenty in college. See e.g. his two goals to open the 2024 ECAC Championship.
Maybe I have recency bias, or just can't remember shit, but I feel like Casty was used as F1 but didn't necessarily drive the net. I think that was Long's role last year?
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: BearLover on September 26, 2026, 01:11:47 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 26, 2026, 01:08:32 AM
Quote from: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 07:42:44 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 25, 2026, 07:22:50 PMCastagoal here. (https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/50024537)

Feels like Flames staff really want him driving the net. Don't know if I've seen him do that quite as much here.

Also, not sure I realized he's actually quite tall, but when he's surrounded by other 6'5" 200+lb players like the ones we recruit it's easy to miss 😂
He drove the net plenty in college. See e.g. his two goals to open the 2024 ECAC Championship.
Maybe I have recency bias, or just can't remember shit, but I feel like Casty was used as F1 but didn't necessarily drive the net. I think that was Long's role last year?
Well, driving the net on a break/rebound is different from camping out in front of the net on a settled play. Castagna did plenty of the former and less of the latter. With the caveat that I can't remember much/have not mastered hockey strategy.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 26, 2026, 06:50:41 PM
Quote from: BearLover on September 26, 2026, 01:11:47 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 26, 2026, 01:08:32 AM
Quote from: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 07:42:44 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 25, 2026, 07:22:50 PMCastagoal here. (https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/50024537)

Feels like Flames staff really want him driving the net. Don't know if I've seen him do that quite as much here.

Also, not sure I realized he's actually quite tall, but when he's surrounded by other 6'5" 200+lb players like the ones we recruit it's easy to miss 😂
He drove the net plenty in college. See e.g. his two goals to open the 2024 ECAC Championship.
Maybe I have recency bias, or just can't remember shit, but I feel like Casty was used as F1 but didn't necessarily drive the net. I think that was Long's role last year?
Well, driving the net on a break/rebound is different from camping out in front of the net on a settled play. Castagna did plenty of the former and less of the latter. With the caveat that I can't remember much/have not mastered hockey strategy.
Aye, that's what I'm saying. It feels like the Flames are using him more as a "get in front of the net in the offensive zone" player? At least from the little bit I remember watching.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 27, 2026, 07:32:56 PM
Also, Jack O'Brien seems to be with the Norfolk Admirals - my understanding is it's a PTO.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 28, 2026, 01:01:00 AM
Apparently Barstool has a running thing with Stanley, because his name is Hoyt, and they wanted a collection of Hoyts.

Anyways, fun tidbit I found from peeking into those old streams: he took a bunch of summer classes, extra credits, etc to graduate a year early - so the Cornell '26 is accurate. Probably the team was also aware of this, hence the d-men they brought in when they did.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Trotsky on September 28, 2026, 02:48:51 AM
Quote from: stereax on September 27, 2026, 07:32:56 PMAlso, Jack O'Brien seems to be with the Norfolk Admirals - my understanding is it's a PTO.
This is really nothing short of amazing.  Talk about a late bloomer and hard worker.  Holy shit, he went from nothing to getting a pro deal.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: Trotsky on September 28, 2026, 02:52:18 AM
Quote from: stereax on September 26, 2026, 06:50:41 PMAye, that's what I'm saying. It feels like the Flames are using him more as a "get in front of the net in the offensive zone" player? At least from the little bit I remember watching.

This brings home just how otherwordly the talent level in the N is.  Castagna is one of the best guys for working inside a phone booth we've ever seen, but at that level his skills aren't even notable. 
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: marty on September 28, 2026, 06:26:19 AM
Quote from: stereax on September 28, 2026, 01:01:00 AMApparently Barstool has a running thing with Stanley, because his name is Hoyt, and they wanted a collection of Hoyts.

Anyways, fun tidbit I found from peeking into those old streams: he took a bunch of summer classes, extra credits, etc to graduate a year early - so the Cornell '26 is accurate. Probably the team was also aware of this, hence the d-men they brought in when they did.

Are you in the wrong field?  Is there a future for you in forensic law - if that's a thing?

Good for him.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 28, 2026, 08:10:33 AM
Quote from: marty on September 28, 2026, 06:26:19 AM
Quote from: stereax on September 28, 2026, 01:01:00 AMApparently Barstool has a running thing with Stanley, because his name is Hoyt, and they wanted a collection of Hoyts.

Anyways, fun tidbit I found from peeking into those old streams: he took a bunch of summer classes, extra credits, etc to graduate a year early - so the Cornell '26 is accurate. Probably the team was also aware of this, hence the d-men they brought in when they did.

Are you in the wrong field?  Is there a future for you in forensic law - if that's a thing?

Good for him.
I'm not sure if it is 😅 I think the police, FBI, etc are the ones who handle investigations 😂

Hardest worker, on and off the ice!
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 28, 2026, 05:04:06 PM
Keopple to be the EBUG for the Rangers! (https://x.com/JaneMcNally_/status/2104678348379295919?s=20)

Explains why he was at the Rangers' camps.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: The Rancor on September 28, 2026, 07:00:44 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 28, 2026, 05:04:06 PMKeopple to be the EBUG for the Rangers! (https://x.com/JaneMcNally_/status/2104678348379295919?s=20)

Explains why he was at the Rangers' camps.

I wonder what his staff position is/will be at the NYR? Also, TIL all EBUGs will wear the number 00 as per the CBA.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 28, 2026, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: The Rancor on September 28, 2026, 07:00:44 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 28, 2026, 05:04:06 PMKeopple to be the EBUG for the Rangers! (https://x.com/JaneMcNally_/status/2104678348379295919?s=20)

Explains why he was at the Rangers' camps.

I wonder what his staff position is/will be at the NYR? Also, TIL all EBUGs will wear the number 00 as per the CBA.

Doesn't say he needs to have one with NYR. They could bump him some cash on the side for some work, I'm sure. But he could also pretty easily do some finance job while also doing the travel-to-games-and-play-in-practices thing, no? Not like most finance jobs do anything anyway
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: The Rancor on September 29, 2026, 12:02:58 AM
I thought the CBA said they have to be employed by the club, but I assumed that meant as a scout, trainer etc... maybe bean counter or ticket taker counts? FWIW he was at the Johnson School.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 29, 2026, 02:48:06 PM
speaking of Stanley, he made the opening night roster - though I believe he'll likely be in the press box for now and sent down to Belleville once Zub is healthy
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on September 29, 2026, 08:28:38 PM
Penney landed with the Trenton Ironhawks (ECHL).
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: sah67 on September 29, 2026, 08:50:00 PM
Poor Sam getting no respect from the Colorado locker room staff:
https://x.com/FerPucksSake/status/2104996964291227842
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on October 02, 2026, 09:36:57 PM
Quote from: stereax on September 29, 2026, 02:48:06 PMspeaking of Stanley, he made the opening night roster - though I believe he'll likely be in the press box for now and sent down to Belleville once Zub is healthy

He played for Belleville tonight
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on October 02, 2026, 11:56:03 PM
Malott scores in his first game as a Duck
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on October 03, 2026, 12:05:12 AM
Castagna scored the first goal of the game and added an empty netter in his pro debut for AHL Calgary
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: sah67 on October 04, 2026, 09:04:49 PM
Mitchell and Malott (teammates on the ill-fated 2019-20 squad) are both in the lineup for Anaheim against Florida tonight. So far Mitchell has earned a cross-checking penalty on noted goon (and Brown alum) Garnet Hathaway.

Can't remember the last time we had 2 Cornellians playing on the same team in an NHL game, although I think it happened fairly recently with Colorado (involving some combination of Malinski, Stienburg and MacDonald.)
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on October 07, 2026, 11:31:36 AM
Castagna gets the call up! (https://x.com/NHLFlames/status/2107848484699467900)
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: BearLover on October 07, 2026, 11:36:48 AM
If he appears in a game, he'll be the fifth Cornell player this season to do so (Malinski, Malott, Barron, Mitchell, Castagna). What is the record for most Cornell alums to appear in a game in one season? I'm sure it's higher than five due to late-season call-ups.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on October 07, 2026, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: BearLover on October 07, 2026, 11:36:48 AMIf he appears in a game, he'll be the fifth Cornell player this season to do so (Malinski, Malott, Barron, Mitchell, Castagna). What is the record for most Cornell alums to appear in a game in one season? I'm sure it's higher than five due to late-season call-ups.
Almost certain he will be put into games. Had a +5 and 2G in 2 games with the Wranglers. Flames are doing serious roster churn rn (guys like Zary are publicly on the outs). No sense in calling up a 21-y-o prospect, arguably the best part of the Weegar trade (second round picks are still just picks, Casty is a known entity), to sit on the bench and twiddle his thumbs.
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on October 07, 2026, 12:59:34 PM
Practice lines have Castagna on the 4th centering other call-up Suniev and Adam Klapka. (https://x.com/SteinbergYYC/status/2107874509126873231)
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: arugula on October 08, 2026, 10:08:46 AM
Quote from: stereax on October 07, 2026, 12:59:34 PMPractice lines have Castagna on the 4th centering other call-up Suniev and Adam Klapka. (https://x.com/SteinbergYYC/status/2107874509126873231)

Nice Castagna shout out on 32 thoughts around 39 minutes in. His nickname in Calgary is George. Think about it.   
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on October 08, 2026, 02:30:30 PM
Casty confirmed NHL debut! (https://x.com/steinbergyyc/status/2108240526021664924?s=46)
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: stereax on October 08, 2026, 03:19:44 PM
Anaheim Ducks are doing individual goal songs. (https://x.com/AnaheimDucks/status/2108241011239497743?s=20)

Malott - Sultans of Swing, Dire Straits (A+ choice)
Mitchell - Don't We, Morgan Wallen
Title: Re: Alumni in the pros 26-27
Post by: VIEWfromK on October 08, 2026, 05:03:53 PM
Quote from: stereax on Today at 03:19:44 PMAnaheim Ducks are doing individual goal songs. (https://x.com/AnaheimDucks/status/2108241011239497743?s=20)

Malott - Sultans of Swing, Dire Straits (A+ choice)
Mitchell - Don't We, Morgan Wallen

That's a nice touch.  What are the odds makers saying about the frequency of hearing those tunes this season?