ELynah Forum

General Category => Other Sports => Topic started by: rss77 on April 28, 2026, 06:52:31 PM

Title: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: rss77 on April 28, 2026, 06:52:31 PM
Any one have a report on the Spring game played this past Friday?
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: dbilmes on April 29, 2026, 08:57:15 AM
Quote from: rss77 on April 28, 2026, 06:52:31 PMAny one have a report on the Spring game played this past Friday?
Cornell won.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: billhoward on April 29, 2026, 06:14:10 PM
Saw a peppy and upbeat short video on the spring game. Even if there was reporting by a local newspaper, it would still be upbeat.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on April 29, 2026, 06:39:36 PM
Quote from: rss77 on April 28, 2026, 06:52:31 PMAny one have a report on the Spring game played this past Friday?

Looking at the Spring Game highlights it was good to see that WR Sam Musungu is back playing, after missing last year with a knee injury.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: ugarte on April 29, 2026, 08:54:53 PM
no ivy players drafted. haven't seen if any were signed as udfa. the draft has gotten increasingly weighted towards the big conferences as it's easier to score and poach transfers who grow or outperform their high school projections.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on April 29, 2026, 10:13:07 PM
Quote from: ugarte on April 29, 2026, 08:54:53 PMno ivy players drafted. haven't seen if any were signed as udfa. the draft has gotten increasingly weighted towards the big conferences as it's easier to score and poach transfers who grow or outperform their high school projections.

Not drafted or udfa, but a few are camp invites.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on June 11, 2026, 06:53:37 PM
Cornell will not have a televised game this season, the same with Princeton.

QuoteThe Ivy League has announced its 2026 football television schedule on ESPN's linear networks, highlighted by six conference games.

The slate opens on Friday, September 25, when Harvard travels to Brown in a matchup that was previously moved up one day from its original Saturday date. ESPN2 will televise the game live at 7:00pm ET from Centreville Bank Stadium in Pawtucket, R.I.

Two weeks later, on Saturday, October 10, Dartmouth visits Yale in a noon ET kickoff on ESPNU.

Three additional Ivy League contests have been shifted to Friday nights for television: Columbia at Penn on October 16, Yale at Penn on October 23, and Harvard at Dartmouth on October 30. All three games will air on ESPNU.

ESPN's Ivy League coverage concludes on Saturday, November 21, with the 142nd playing of The Game, as Harvard hosts Yale at historic Fenway Park in Boston. Kickoff is set for 3:30pm ET on ESPNU.

Cornell and Princeton are the only Ivy League programs that will not appear on an ESPN linear network this season, ending a streak of seven consecutive years in which all eight teams made at least one such appearance.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: ugarte on June 11, 2026, 11:50:20 PM
Winning a FCS tournament game sure did help Yale.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Trotsky on July 22, 2026, 02:42:48 AM
2026 Schedule

@Colgate
9/19 10:00 am

Yale
9/26 10:00 am

@Georgetown
10/3 9:30 am

Harvard
10/10 10:00 am

Lehigh
10/17 11:00 am

@Brown
10/24 9:00 am

@Princeton
10/31 10:00 am

Penn
11/7 11:00 am

Dartmouth
11/14 11:00 am

@Columbia
11/21 10:00 am
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Al DeFlorio on July 22, 2026, 06:57:33 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on July 22, 2026, 02:42:48 AM2026 Schedule

@Colgate
9/19 10:00 am

Yale
9/26 10:00 am

@Georgetown
10/3 9:30 am

Harvard
10/10 10:00 am

Lehigh
10/17 11:00 am

@Brown
10/24 9:00 am

@Princeton
10/31 10:00 am

Penn
11/7 11:00 am

Dartmouth
11/14 11:00 am

@Columbia
11/21 10:00 am

Phoenix time😉
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on July 22, 2026, 05:26:35 PM
Cornell's TE Ryder Kurst named to 1st Team on the FCS Preseason All-American Team.

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2026/7/22/kurtz-named-fcs-football-central-preseason-all-american.aspx

https://www.si.com/college/fcs/2026-fcs-football-central-preseason-all-american-team
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: scoop85 on July 22, 2026, 06:19:25 PM
Quote from: Ken711 on July 22, 2026, 05:26:35 PMCornell's TE Ryder Kurst named to 1st Team on the FCS Preseason All-American Team.

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2026/7/22/kurtz-named-fcs-football-central-preseason-all-american.aspx

https://www.si.com/college/fcs/2026-fcs-football-central-preseason-all-american-team

That's quite an accolade. He's a terrific player.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: dbilmes on August 05, 2026, 10:48:00 AM
Cornell is surprisingly picked to tie with Princeton for fifth place in the Ivy League preseason poll (https://ivyleague.com/news/2026/8/3/yale-voted-preseason-ivy-football-favorite.aspx), with Brown just one point behind. There's a huge gap between the top half and the bottom half of the league. Yale is the heavy favorite to win the title.
I can't remember the last time Cornell was picked this high.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Jeff Hopkins '82 on August 05, 2026, 11:03:15 AM
Quote from: dbilmes on August 05, 2026, 10:48:00 AMCornell is surprisingly picked to tie with Princeton for fifth place in the Ivy League preseason poll (https://ivyleague.com/news/2026/8/3/yale-voted-preseason-ivy-football-favorite.aspx), with Brown just one point behind. There's a huge gap between the top half and the bottom half of the league. Yale is the heavy favorite to win the title.
I can't remember the last time Cornell was picked this high.

I can't remember the last time Princeton was picked that low.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: billhoward on August 05, 2026, 04:42:28 PM
Cornell's 46 points is also 2 points above being projected in sole possession of next to last. It is also 36 years since our last (tied) Ivy League title.

2026 IVY LEAGUE PRESEASON POLL (First Place Votes)
1. Yale – 127 (15)
2. Harvard – 111 (1)
3. Dartmouth – 94
4. Penn – 75
5. Cornell – 46
5. Princeton – 46
7. Brown – 45
8. Columbia – 32
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on August 09, 2026, 06:44:26 PM
Football schedule change: Starting in 2027, the Ivy League will begin the season a week earlier and implement a bye week for teams. Hopefully that bye week turns into an 11th game in the future.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on August 17, 2026, 06:56:41 PM
Cornell unveiled their new updated football locker room today to the team.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/943246662122919 (https://www.facebook.com/reel/943246662122919)
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: marty on August 19, 2026, 05:43:22 AM
Quote from: Ken711 on August 09, 2026, 06:44:26 PMFootball schedule change: Starting in 2027, the Ivy League will begin the season a week earlier and implement a bye week for teams. Hopefully that bye week turns into an 11th game in the future.


Hopefully this bodes well for an earlier hockey season start. I like to dream.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: billhoward on August 21, 2026, 01:17:09 PM
Quote from: marty on August 19, 2026, 05:43:22 AMHopefully this bodes well for an earlier hockey season start. I like to dream.
Hopefully this bodes well for a Cornell hockey season that lasts through the second weekend of April.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on August 29, 2026, 08:33:00 PM
Two of Cornell's non-league opponents Colgate and 11th ranked Lehigh both started the season with wins.  Lehigh looks like a strong team as expected, and Colgate had a running back rush for over 200 yds in their win.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Chris '03 on August 31, 2026, 12:17:28 AM
Quote from: Ken711 on August 29, 2026, 08:33:00 PMTwo of Cornell's non-league opponents Colgate and 11th ranked Lehigh both started the season with wins.  Lehigh looks like a strong team as expected, and Colgate had a running back rush for over 200 yds in their win.

The back played at my local hs. Went to UConn for a year or two of not seeing the field before transferring.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on September 08, 2026, 03:00:07 PM
With start that Lehigh and Colgate are off to, Cornell could unfortunately find themselves with a 1-4 record at the half season mark.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: CU2007 on September 11, 2026, 01:14:47 PM
Quote from: Ken711 on September 08, 2026, 03:00:07 PMWith start that Lehigh and Colgate are off to, Cornell could unfortunately find themselves with a 1-4 record at the half season mark.

The more things change...
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on September 11, 2026, 07:34:38 PM
Quote from: CU2007 on September 11, 2026, 01:14:47 PM
Quote from: Ken711 on September 08, 2026, 03:00:07 PMWith start that Lehigh and Colgate are off to, Cornell could unfortunately find themselves with a 1-4 record at the half season mark.

The more things change...

I really hope that I am proved wrong, but they have a brutal early season schedule, and one of the toughest non-Ivy schedule in the Ivy League.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Trotsky on September 22, 2026, 03:56:13 AM
Quote from: Ken711 on August 09, 2026, 06:44:26 PMFootball schedule change: Starting in 2027, the Ivy League will begin the season a week earlier and implement a bye week for teams. Hopefully that bye week turns into an 11th game in the future.

TBH I wish they'd drop the non-Ivy games and just play 7.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: The Rancor on September 22, 2026, 01:00:58 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on September 22, 2026, 03:56:13 AM
Quote from: Ken711 on August 09, 2026, 06:44:26 PMFootball schedule change: Starting in 2027, the Ivy League will begin the season a week earlier and implement a bye week for teams. Hopefully that bye week turns into an 11th game in the future.

TBH I wish they'd drop the non-Ivy games and just play 7.

Honestly, yeah. What is the point of over-investing and over competing? I guess now that the Ivy gets an auto bid to the FCS tournament, there is something beyond to play for, but, really, they only have to play in conference to go to the little dance.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: ugarte on September 22, 2026, 04:23:07 PM
Quote from: The Rancor on September 22, 2026, 01:00:58 PM
Quote from: Trotsky on September 22, 2026, 03:56:13 AM
Quote from: Ken711 on August 09, 2026, 06:44:26 PMFootball schedule change: Starting in 2027, the Ivy League will begin the season a week earlier and implement a bye week for teams. Hopefully that bye week turns into an 11th game in the future.

TBH I wish they'd drop the non-Ivy games and just play 7.

Honestly, yeah. What is the point of over-investing and over competing? I guess now that the Ivy gets an auto bid to the FCS tournament, there is something beyond to play for, but, really, they only have to play in conference to go to the little dance.

you guys gotta stop having ideas!

i do not relish *losing* non-Ivy games but i have to admit i do like *watching* more games even if we lose many of them.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Trotsky on September 25, 2026, 02:56:56 AM
Today I realized I have no longer heard of a single active player in the NFL, except Mahomes.  I have heard of Mahomes because his dad was a Met.

I'm a lifetime Seahawks fan.  I watched us win the Super Bowl.  The statement still holds.

TBH, it's getting pretty damn close to true about the NHL.  Besides our alums, a sprinkling of Isles, and a dwindling supply of 40-somethings like Ovie, I got nuthin'.  Is Crosby still playing?  Shit, is Jagr? -- he must be 50.

There are no active NHL players whose dads were Mets that I am aware of.  Glavine was a decent high school hockey player, but fuck him.

Oh, and Tay Tay's guy.  I forget his name.  Wait, that isn't Mahomes, right?  It's his friend?
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: marty on September 25, 2026, 08:35:34 AM
Quote from: Trotsky on September 25, 2026, 02:56:56 AMToday I realized I have no longer heard of a single active player in the NFL, except Mahomes.  I have heard of Mahomes because his dad was a Met.

I'm a lifetime Seahawks fan.  I watched us win the Super Bowl.  The statement still holds.

TBH, it's getting pretty damn close to true about the NHL.  Besides our alums, a sprinkling of Isles, and a dwindling supply of 40-somethings like Ovie, I got nuthin'.  Is Crosby still playing?  Shit, is Jagr? -- he must be 50.

There are no active NHL players whose dads were Mets that I am aware of.  Glavine was a decent high school hockey player, but fuck him.

Oh, and Tay Tay's guy.  I forget his name.  Wait, that isn't Mahomes, right?  It's his friend?

Good for you.  I'm saying that as a pro sports fan dropout.  I remember how excited I was when the guy down the street taught me I could follow the Maris Mantle home run race by looking in the newspaper each afternoon.  Today I have no idea who the leaders are in any MLB stat and my brain thanks me for ignoring this trivia. I'll watch games in most sports and enjoy individual efforts but won't get upset when "my team" loses - though there's one exception and my entire being can still get excited when I make my pilgrimage to Lynah.

LGR
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 09:47:48 AM
The problem with the NFL (and all levels of football) is that I know too much about head injuries at this point to be able to enjoy watching it. You can see guys' brains getting destroyed on every play. I notice even the micro-concussions that linemen get every play from colliding with each other. Makes it hard to justify continuing to engage with football, even though it was my favorite sport at one point.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: stereax on September 25, 2026, 10:19:10 AM
Quote from: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 09:47:48 AMThe problem with the NFL (and all levels of football) is that I know too much about head injuries at this point to be able to enjoy watching it. You can see guys' brains getting destroyed on every play. I notice even the micro-concussions that linemen get every play from colliding with each other. Makes it hard to justify continuing to engage with football, even though it was my favorite sport at one point.
Holy shit rare BL W take

But yeah no unfortunately football for me is like, "the thing you can waste time with before hockey starts". Due to fantasy I know of a bunch of football players, but you watch a real game and just start going. Man. They're really putting people in a meat grinder.

Like, I cheer for the Devils, right? The world's most injury-prone NHL team? But at least they don't routinely lose like, 3 guys a night, like I usually see with football games. Shit's brutal. And CTE ain't a joke.

(But also, you can get CTE with other sports as well - Bettman famously keeps denying hockey has a CTE link, for one.)

And, for Trots, I think Jagr is still being Weekend at Bernie's-ed around Kladno?
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: ugarte on September 25, 2026, 01:02:29 PM
Quote from: BearLover on September 25, 2026, 09:47:48 AMThe problem with the NFL (and all levels of football) is that I know too much about head injuries at this point to be able to enjoy watching it. You can see guys' brains getting destroyed on every play. I notice even the micro-concussions that linemen get every play from colliding with each other. Makes it hard to justify continuing to engage with football, even though it was my favorite sport at one point.
I will never quit football and I have successfully staved off shame even though no lies spotted.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: upprdeck on October 01, 2026, 06:12:37 PM
So Cornell has played
lost to top 20 Colgate
beaten top 20 Yale

and after Gtown plays
top 25 Harvard
then top 5 Lehigh

I guess they will know what they are playing for those last 5 games.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Ken711 on October 02, 2026, 10:37:58 PM
Not Cornell directly related, but some sad news. Tony Reno former Yale head football coach for 14 years, passed away today. His son Dante Reno QB on current Yale team was injured and did not play last's weeks game against Cornell.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: big29red on October 10, 2026, 03:09:27 PM
Watching the Cornell Harvard football game. This is a complete embarrassment, as usual when playing Harvard. Open receivers all over the field, no defensive back within 5 yards of them. The play calling is horrific, we are down 28 points and he's throwing to the sideline. Not sure this is gonna work out with Swanstrom either. The problem is we just don't have the players, especially upfront on the O or D line. Not enough strength or size, especially on the D line. really need to step up the recruiting if they want to stay competitive. Also, we need a quarterback who can throw the ball down the field, #8 isn't the answer. He certainly can run, but that's about it.
Title: Re: Cornell Football 2026
Post by: Al DeFlorio on October 10, 2026, 03:43:29 PM
Quote from: big29red on Today at 03:09:27 PMAlso, we need a quarterback who can throw the ball down the field, #8 isn't the answer. He certainly can run, but that's about it.
Agree.  What's especially disappointing is we've seen nothing of the quarterbacks Swanstrom has brought in these past two years.  That tells me none have shown he could lead Cornell out of this long-standing mediocrity.