Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Women's Volleyball - Come This Weekend

Posted by Willy '06 
Women's Volleyball - Come This Weekend
Posted by: Willy '06 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 03:54PM

Don't miss out on one of the most exciting sports weekends you'll see at Cornell.

The Women's Volleyball Team is playing first place Yale on Friday at 7 PM and Brown on Saturday at 4 PM. Our team is currently in 2nd place, and two wins this weekend would put them in a tie for first place with Yale.

Some history... Cornell tied with 4 teams to win the Ivy League Championship two years ago, and they won it outright last year. So they are defending champs. Last year's game at Yale was the most exciting sporting event I have ever been to (and yes I had season's tickets at Lynah for my 4 years of undergrad). Yale and Cornell were the clear favorites, and whoever won was the likely Ivy Champ. Cornell lost the first 2 games of the 5 game match, and were down 23-28 in the 3rd game. Women's College Volleyball is best of 5 games, first 4 to 30 points, 5th game to 15 points. The Big Red came back from multiple Yale match points to win the 3rd, 4th, and 5th games in likely the best comeback victory in Cornell Athletics history.

So this is a huge weekend! This year at Yale the team lost, and beat Brown in 5 games, so this truly is a make or break series. If you have never been to a Cornell volleyball game before, make this weekend your first and second. You will not be disappointed in the level of play, and volleyball really is a very exciting game to watch. I'm making the trip up from Connecticut for the games (ok my girlfriend is on the team, that's why), but it really is a treat to watch some of Cornell's best athletes at work.

So come to the games at Newman Arena. You won't regret it. Be loud and show Yale and Brown what a real crowd looks like.

And last but not least, they were spandex... can it get any better?

Re: Women's Volleyball - Come This Weekend
Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:27PM

Willy '06
Last year's game at Yale was the most exciting sporting event I have ever been to (and yes I had season's tickets at Lynah for my 4 years of undergrad). Yale and Cornell were the clear favorites

...?!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:37PM

Beeeej
Willy '06
Last year's game at Yale was the most exciting sporting event I have ever been to (and yes I had season's tickets at Lynah for my 4 years of undergrad). Yale and Cornell were the clear favorites

...?!
Nitpicking, Beeeej. He clearly meant that they were the favorites to win the Ivy League.

Date: October 24, 2006 04:41PM

ugarte
Beeeej
Willy '06

...?!
Nitpicking, Beeeej. He clearly meant that they were the favorites to win the Ivy League.

Oh, looking at the rest of that sentence, I guess you're probably right - for some reason the first time I read it I thought this match was late in the season, when now it sounds like it must have been early.

I wasn't nitpicking, I just honestly couldn't figure out who the underdog was if both schools in a two-team match were the favorites. :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 24, 2006 05:03PM

Sorry for the confusion. It was actually about midway through the season. The only loss between the two teams at that point in the season was Yale's loss to Cornell in Ithaca. It seemed pretty clear at the time that this game would determine who won the Ivy League championship. It did, but the end of the season held a few surprises. Cornell ended up losing it's last two games at Penn and Princeton to end up tied with Yale for 1st place. Yale had one game left against Brown and lost, sending Cornell to the first round of the NCAA tournament at Penn State.

Anyways, come to the game!

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 05:29PM

Willy '06
The Big Red came back from multiple Yale match points to win the 3rd, 4th, and 5th games in likely the best comeback victory in Cornell Athletics history.

Wow, that's a pretty bold claim. I'm sure there are some attendees of a certain hockey game vs. Providence who might argue that point.

And last but not least, they were spandex... can it get any better?[/quote]

Given my imagination, yes...yes it can.

Go Big Red Volleyball!!!

Date: October 24, 2006 06:20PM

RichH
Willy '06
And last but not least, they were spandex... can it get any better?

Given my imagination, yes...yes it can.

Dammit - why weren't they wearing spandex back when I was assigned to wear the bear costume to their games?!

- Steve Worona

Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 06:46PM

All this aside, I'll second the "come to the game" plea. It's a different atmosphere than hockey (you can, for example, breath once seated, and walk around, and turn, etc....the games aren't...um...packed, to say the least). However, the game is fast paced and exciting. There have been a ton of rule changes since I played in the mid-90's, some of which really make the game more entertaining.

We had a great time last weekend. I really like the "go to volleyball at 4:00, grab a bite to eat, go to hockey" routine. Makes a pretty nice half-day. Of course, if the volleyball game runs to 5 games, it's more like "go to volleyball, go to hockey, eat hot-dogs at intermission for dinner". Still a good half day.

Consider it warm-up for the hockey game.

CK

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 01:01AM

What are some of the rule changes?

- Steve Worona

Posted by: CKinsland (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2006 09:07AM

So, it seems most of the changes were adopted back in 2000-2002 or so, but I haven't really been paying attention. They've gone to all rally scoring (which used to be used in tournaments sometimes, but wasn't generally the rule). There seem to be some changes related to crossing the plane of the net to play a ball, there seem to be some changes related to back row hitters (at least it looks different, but I haven't looked up the rules), serves can touch the net and there is a whole new position (libero) whose rules I totally don't understand. There seems to be some rule changes related to play at the net, but I'm not sure. You can now break a serve with two open hands above your head (which was allowed in sand rules when I was playing, but not hard court...it used to be an automatic lift/double hit call on hard court).

The rally scoring (which I hated as a player, but have decided I like as a spectator) really speeds up the game. The net-touching serve thing is kind of freaky if you are used to the old rules, but doesn't come up often.

The libero position is a defense only position (the person must wear a different uniform than the rest of the team). The libero doesn't serve and can not attack the ball above the height of the net. I've decided I really like the libero thing. Teams with a good libero really have an advantage, teams with a bad one really struggle (they act sort of like a goalie...their job is to get almost all the digs that the blockers miss).

I'm sure there have been rule adjustments to substitutions and such, but they don't affect the way the game looks.

CK

Re: Women's Volleyball - Come This Weekend- Still rolling
Date: October 25, 2006 09:10AM

Women's VB beat the Cuse (3-0 by scores of 30-14, 30-17, 30-26)...first time they've beaten them since 1987.

Cornell's Elizabeth Bishop isn't really big, but man can she pound the ball. Excellent court sense.

CK

Date: October 25, 2006 01:26PM

Sounds kind of like the libero is supposed to ensure fewer team members get injured by enduring all the injuries herself.

- Steve Worona

Date: October 25, 2006 04:34PM

Beeeej
Sounds kind of like the libero is supposed to ensure fewer team members get injured by enduring all the injuries herself.

Naah. In my experience, the person flailing around on the floor, diving, rolling, etc. very rarely gets hurt (though that is how I dislocated my shoulder...how many times in my life had I made exactly the same diving roll with no problem?). Volleyball's frequent injury (caused by a single play, not repetitive stress) is the sprained/broken lower leg (think ankle) from coming down on somebody else's foot at the net. Then, the jammed/broken finger from a poor block (or being really late to block or bad luck). The libero is far from that action. At low levels (elementary school, say), there is the bloody nose from not moving your head out of the way fast enough. One expects that a college libero is not going to get faced by the ball.

Speaking of frequent injuries (and coming back, slightly to hockey). I'm stunned that there aren't more shoulder issues in hockey. Seems like people always have an arm out when they get checked into the boards...I've seen a couple where I couldn't understand how the shoulder stayed in.

Wow, I'm getting really excited now...hockey tomorrow, volleyball Friday, volleyball AND hockey on Saturday. It's going to be a great 3 days. popcorn

CK

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 06:14PM

RichH
Willy '06
The Big Red came back from multiple Yale match points to win the 3rd, 4th, and 5th games in likely the best comeback victory in Cornell Athletics history.

Wow, that's a pretty bold claim. I'm sure there are some attendees of a certain hockey game vs. Providence who might argue that point.

Yes I would. whistle

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 06:37PM

CKinsland
So, it seems most of the changes were adopted back in 2000-2002 or so, but I haven't really been paying attention. They've gone to all rally scoring (which used to be used in tournaments sometimes, but wasn't generally the rule). There seem to be some changes related to crossing the plane of the net to play a ball, there seem to be some changes related to back row hitters (at least it looks different, but I haven't looked up the rules), serves can touch the net and there is a whole new position (libero) whose rules I totally don't understand. There seems to be some rule changes related to play at the net, but I'm not sure. You can now break a serve with two open hands above your head (which was allowed in sand rules when I was playing, but not hard court...it used to be an automatic lift/double hit call on hard court).

The rally scoring (which I hated as a player, but have decided I like as a spectator) really speeds up the game. The net-touching serve thing is kind of freaky if you are used to the old rules, but doesn't come up often.

The libero position is a defense only position (the person must wear a different uniform than the rest of the team). The libero doesn't serve and can not attack the ball above the height of the net. I've decided I really like the libero thing. Teams with a good libero really have an advantage, teams with a bad one really struggle (they act sort of like a goalie...their job is to get almost all the digs that the blockers miss).

I'm sure there have been rule adjustments to substitutions and such, but they don't affect the way the game looks.

CK

Ah, having seen a bunch of Stanford games I wondered what the deal with that was. I just figured it was a team captain or something.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: Women's Volleyball - Come This Weekend- Still rolling
Posted by: CKinsland (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 28, 2006 09:56AM

And rolling...beat Yale last night (lost the first, won the next three).

My older daughter was ecstatic (she's 5) because #16 (Kathryn Woodbury) not only threw her a souvenir mini-volleyball before the game, but very graciously signed her program after the game.

Volleyball is nice to take little kids to because 1) the game is fast, with no long, boring intermissions for ice resurfacing (though kids do love the zamboni..sorry, ice-resurfacer) 2) there is room to run about in the stands 3) the score keeps going up and up (instead of it seeming like nothing is really happening for long periods of time).

Someday my kids will start attending hockey games (again...they went as babies), but first I have to manage to get my season tickets together in one location and they need to get a wee bit older to make that ticket price seem worth it to pay for them.

CK

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 01:50PM

Great game last night! The girls really played their hearts out. Now if they can win out the rest of the season they will be guaranteed at least a share of the Ivy League Championship... a pretty tough task, but if they keep playing the way they did last night it will happen.

Brown at 4 today. Come after Football, before Hockey.

Date: October 31, 2006 12:12PM

Thanks to everyone who came.

They are now tied for first place with Yale and Princeton. Both we and Yale have lost to Princeton and play them again. It will make for a very exciting end to the season.

This weekend: @ Harvard, @ Dartmouth
Next weekend: vs Penn, vs Princeton.

Everybody come out for the final home games!

Date: October 31, 2006 12:34PM

What time are the Penn & Princeton games next weekend? A lot of devoted Cornell alums will be in town for Hahvahd/Dartmouth hockey, I'll bet we could get a good crowd going.

- Steve Worona

Date: October 31, 2006 04:30PM

7 PM on Friday 11/10 vs Penn

4 PM on Saturday 11/11 vs Princeton

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 31, 2006 04:33PM

Willy '06
7 PM on Friday 11/10 vs Penn
Somehow I doubt a lot ofpeople on this board are going to make that one...

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 01:01AM

So, then, the Princeton match it is. looking

- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login