Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Lax Draw

Posted by jkahn 
NCAA Lax Draw
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:41PM

NCAA lax draw will be announced momentarily on ESPN News.

Re: NCAA Lax Draw
Date: May 07, 2006 08:48PM

1 Virginia vs. Notre Dame

8 Georgetown vs. Navy

5 Syracuse vs. Harvard

4 Hopkins vs. Penn

Date: May 07, 2006 08:53PM

8 Georgetown vs. Navy

5 Syracuse vs. Harvard

4 Hopkins vs. Penn

3 Hofstra vs.Providence

6 Cornell vs. U Mass

Date: May 07, 2006 08:55PM

8 Georgetown vs. Navy

5 Syracuse vs. Harvard

4 Hopkins vs. Penn

3 Hofstra vs.Providence

6 Cornell vs. U Mass

7 Princeton vs. UMBC

2 Maryland vs. Denver

Date: May 07, 2006 08:59PM

A lot tougher draw than expected. Announcers thought Cornell should've been a 2, 3 or 4. U Mass - Cornell game is on ESPN U on Saturday at 1.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 07, 2006 08:59PM

jkahn
6 Cornell vs. U Mass
I think billhoward will be pleased.B-]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:02PM

While I'm disappointed by the seeding, the draw is not horrendous. But having to possibly go through Hofstra in the quarters will be a tough task.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:04PM

Other than the usual disrespect, the draw isn't a bad one. We could have drawn UMass regardless of the seeding, as they tend to assign first round matchups based on travel more so than on difficulty (see UVA getting Notre Dame rather than Providence, for example). And Hofstra is a lot less seasoned than, say, a Syracuse or Johns Hopkins matchup would be in the quarterfinals--presuming we advance to there.

The problem, of course, is that our RPI is below Virginia, Hopkins, Maryland, and Syracuse, and Hofstra has better quality wins than we do--thanks in part to the Duke flap. The really good news is that we're on the tube next Saturday.

Date: May 07, 2006 09:07PM

scoop85
While I'm disappointed by the seeding, the draw is not horrendous. But having to possibly go through Hofstra in the quarters will be a tough task.

Hofstra got a sweetheart deal. They got a three seed and they face the weakest team (Providence) in the opening round.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:10PM

Where is the first round game being played?

Date: May 07, 2006 09:13PM

Al DeFlorio
Other than the usual disrespect, the draw isn't a bad one. We could have drawn UMass regardless of the seeding, as they tend to assign first round matchups based on travel more so than on difficulty (see UVA getting Notre Dame rather than Providence, for example). And Hofstra is a lot less seasoned than, say, a Syracuse or Johns Hopkins matchup would be in the quarterfinals--presuming we advance to there.

I totally agree. I wouldn't want to trade places with Hopkins. As much as I'd like to exact some revenge on Syracuse they are not only seasoned but probably the one team outside of UVA that scares me.

Date: May 07, 2006 09:14PM

ebilmes

Ithaca

Date: May 07, 2006 09:16PM

redhair34
ebilmes

Ithaca
And, as Jeff wrote above, will be televised on ESPNU at 1pm ET on Saturday

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:20PM

At Microsoft, there used to be an informal motto, "Windows ain't done ... 'til Lotus won't run." (Back when Lotus mattered.) At the NCAA, there must be a footnote to its motto ("Upward ... quicker ... faster ... the ticket prices, not the caliber of competition"?), the footnote being "... and while you're at it, think of a way to screw Cornell, but it can't be real obvious." Send the skaters to Minnesota then Wisconsin.

So Cornell avoids Virginia before the final weekend. If we advance past UMass, the Stony Brook location is better for more Cornellians and alumni than Maryland. But the sixth bleeping seed? It seems at first glance the NCAA decided to ignore teams that beat Duke ... plus all the top ten and top twenty teams we beat early on seemed to fade out of the top twenty by the time their seasons were done.

Did anyone else, watching the selection show, have a momentary glimmer of joy (after Virginia was named #1 seed (a given)) ... then they backfilled and announced Hofstra as #3 before announcing #2, which made you think there was a glimmer of a chance for Cornell as the #2 seed. Hah!

It is good that three [edit (thank you, Al): other] Ivy teams made the tournament.

UMass is a good team and could be a tough draw to get past. Not like, say, getting Denver or Providence to feast on. Tambroni should be able to get mileage out of the seeding, telling the team the only way to earn the NCAA's respect is to do it on the field. LGR.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2006 09:35PM by billhoward.

Date: May 07, 2006 09:22PM

Al DeFlorio
will be televised on ESPNU at 1pm ET on Saturday

Bad luck...I have one obligation all weekend and its from 1pm-4pm Saturday afternoon. But, something tells me I'll be shirking said obligation to attend the game.

Date: May 07, 2006 09:24PM

billhoward
It is good that three Ivy teams made the tournament.
They may suck, Bill, but Harvard is an Ivy.;-) Makes four.

Date: May 07, 2006 09:36PM

here is a full bracket if folks are looking for one...

[www.ncaasports.com]

Re: NCAA Lax Draw - Final Four
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 11:44PM

The final four in Philadelphia:

1. Virginia
4. Hopkins
6. Cornell
7. Princeton

... making it a Virginia-Cornell title game.

Does anyone see a first round upset? Other than a minor, not-really upset such as Navy over #8 Georgetown. Notre Dame, Providence, and Denver are cannon fodder. Harvard over Syracuse seems unlikely. Penn over Hopkins? Hard to see.

Date: May 07, 2006 11:55PM

billhoward
Does anyone see a first round upset? Other than a minor, not-really upset such as Navy over #8 Georgetown. Notre Dame, Providence, and Denver are cannon fodder. Harvard over Syracuse seems unlikely. Penn over Hopkins? Hard to see.
Hate to say it, but UMass is no "cannon fodder," and I'm expecting a very tough game.

Virginia's gotta feel like Cornell hockey did drawing Mankato in 2003. "WTF?" No intraconference-matchup-avoidance baloney in lacrosse, either. Just "well, it's easier for Providence to go to Long Island than all the way to Virginia, and Notre Dame's way out in the boonies anyway. Hard cheese, 'Hoos"

Date: May 08, 2006 12:07AM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Hate to say it, but UMass is no "cannon fodder," and I'm expecting a very tough game.

Virginia's gotta feel like Cornell hockey did drawing Mankato in 2003. "WTF?" No intraconference-matchup-avoidance baloney in lacrosse, either. Just "well, it's easier for Providence to go to Long Island than all the way to Virginia, and Notre Dame's way out in the boonies anyway. Hard cheese, 'Hoos"

I've had respect for UMass teams well back to the Dick Garber era. For all the work he did, he deserved one NCAA title somewhere along the route. I should have added that a UMass upset of Cornell would not be unthinkable. I just didn't want to think about it.

Good point about Virginia not getting the easiest opening round draw, going up against Notre Dame. But: Do you think Cornell was as clearly a favorite to go al the way in 2003 starting with Mankato ... as Virginia is in lacrosse this year? Cornell was probably the statistical favorite in 2003 hockey. I think Virginia is the overwhelming favorite in 2006 lacrosse. So on the one hand you could argue the overwhelming favorite deserves an overwhelming pushover (probably the correct view if you're a Cavalier fan) vs. "they're such heavy favorites, any one of the bottom eight is going to be no problem."

Speaking of Virginia, what a sad story about Ralph Sampson caught up in a legal flap trying to get court appointed counsel to deal with ex wives and child support, and apparently not being all that indigent -- but still in such mixed circumstances that he could even think of trying for free legal aid?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 12:26AM

billhoward
Speaking of Virginia, what a sad story about Ralph Sampson caught up in a legal flap trying to get court appointed counsel to deal with ex wives and child support, and apparently not being all that indigent -- but still in such mixed circumstances that he could even think of trying for free legal aid?

Huh? The rest was great lacrosse discussion, bill. You just went one paragraph too far for my tired comprehension.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 12:47AM

RichH
billhoward

Huh? The rest was great lacrosse discussion, bill. You just went one paragraph too far for my tired comprehension.

Ralph Sampson, ex-Virginia basketball star (Class of '83), ex-NBA center ... now is down and out and in trouble with a federal grand jury. He had a star-crossed life: Probably the most heavily recruited college hoops player out of HS in the leate 1970s, he won the college player of the year award three times, but his college and pro teams only got the the championship once each (and lost). I think of Virginia being part of the extended Ivy League, along with the likes of Duke and Stanford, and somehow you associate the problems Sampson is having (or says he's having, or a federal grand jury is about to make him begin having) to alumnni of some of the less academically oriented colleges.

The tenuous link was "While we're on the topic of Virginia sports ... "

Another tenuous link: Dom Starsia, Virginia coach, is Brown Class of, what, 1973 or so. Starsia has been effusive in his praise of Richie Moran over the years. So I always wondered, why the heck didn't Starsia just enroll at Cornell?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.126.122.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 01:27AM

True to form, athletics writes a terrible release follwing the selection show.

No. 11 UMass completed the season with an 8-2 overall record and finished tied for third in the ECAC with a mark of 3-1.
[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Well the got two things right. Cornell is playing UMass and UMass is #11 in the polls. Too bad they missed those other games UMass played this year. I see 10-4 (5-2) and tied for second in the ECAC.

It's commonplace to see poor writing on the official athletics website and I've accepted that, but when releases contain enormous factual blunders, it's just embarrassing.

Date: May 08, 2006 02:03AM

Chris '03
True to form, athletics writes a terrible release follwing the selection show.

No. 11 UMass completed the season with an 8-2 overall record and finished tied for third in the ECAC with a mark of 3-1.
[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Well the got two things right. Cornell is playing UMass and UMass is #11 in the polls. Too bad they missed those other games UMass played this year. I see 10-4 (5-2) and tied for second in the ECAC.

It's commonplace to see poor writing on the official athletics website and I've accepted that, but when releases contain enormous factual blunders, it's just embarrassing.

Others who've worked for Cornell sports information can chime in and remind us how hard everyone works for little money (or less) and it's all probably true. But go to Princeton's athletics website to see an alternative level of attention to detail. Some of the stories there are fascinating and worthy of being in the alumni magazine, or a real publication.

Too bad the lax sites are slow with instant analysis - instant as in the night of the seeding, not a day or two later. InsideLacrosse is a Joe Friday report. LaxPower links you to the brackets. LaxSwami.com is still stuck on an April 27 home page and its prediction that Cornell is due to fall back to #12.

Re: NCAA Lax Draw - snubbed by Baltimore Sun
Date: May 08, 2006 07:49AM

The Baltimore Sun, which considers itself to be the the most lax-conscious paper, managed to cover the tournament selection with nary a word on Cornell. Harvard and Penn got mentioned, Princeton, too.

[www.baltimoresun.com]

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 08, 2006 12:34PM

I was pissed when I first saw Cornell's draw, but it didn't take too long to realize that it ain't that bad.

Yeah, Massachusetts is dangerous. They have two eye-popping talents in Morris (A) and Reid (D) -- seriously, they are just fun to watch. But they have exploitable weaknesses, and they've lost three of their last four road games.

And yeah, the prospect of playing Hofstra on Long Island (if all teams hold serve) kinda sucks. But given the geography of the quarterfinal locations and the logjam of excellent teams, you had to expect a brutal potential quarterfinal opponent. It could be much worse.

Boy, I'd be steamed if I was a Virginia fan. Wow. Virginia gets Notre Dame in the first round -- and then, if the Cavs win, they get the winner of the brutal Georgetown-Navy game in Towson, where they'll be greeted by an big and loud anti-Virginia crowd full of cranky Marylanders and fans of the lower-seeded team.

The selections and seedings seem to prove that the committee considered the tiered effects of losses, as well as results against teams that finished below 15 in the end-of-season RPI. That would help explain why Harvard got in and why Princeton and Hopkins got surprisingly high seeds.

Can't wait for Saturday.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 08, 2006 01:02PM

billhoward

Yeah, I think there are two places where there may be an upset lurking in the first round.

I really like Maryland-Baltimore County's chances against Princeton. UMBC is red hot, having won six games in a row. They have a killer offense that might be able to solve Hewit. Sure, you could make a good argument that Princeton is just the kind of team that could fluster UMBC by controlling the pace, but the Retrievers have shown that they can cope with slow-it-down teams (they took Binghamton twice in the last month, including on the road, and Penn only beat UMBC by one when they met at Franklin Field in March). UMBC also has a confident young goalie in Blevins, who stops more than 60 percent of the shots he faces.

I also think Denver has a decent shot against Maryland. Yup. It's certainly unfair to call them "cannon fodder" (I'd rather play Penn than Denver). The knock on Denver has been their lack of success when playing far from home. But I think they've managed to get that monkey off their back by winning their last two non-Mountain-Time games -- they're not psyched out any more. Denver is damn good. They've won seven games in a row.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2006 01:08PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login