Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lacrosse poll 5/1/06 - Cornell third

Posted by billhoward 
Lacrosse poll 5/1/06 - Cornell third
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 11:39PM

Cornell's win over Brown, and more likely Maryland's loss, moved Cornell into third place in the USILA poll standings. This is not how the teams will be seeded come tournament time, and there's the small matter of avoiding a Hobart upset this weekend in Geneva. Plus Cornell's lead over the Terps is razor-third [edit: Freudian slip. Make that razor-thin]. But it's nice to see Cornell move up.

Penn remains in 10th and that gives Cornell quality, er, losses to #8 Syracuse and #10 Penn. We've beaten 6 Princeton, 16 Army, 17 Harvard, 18 Notre Dame, and not currently ranked but formerly No. 2 Duke. If the tournament matchups run true to form (form of this poll), we wouldn't see Virginia until the title game (1-4 winner in one semi, 2-3 winner in the other). But as others have noted, the NCAA likes north and south regionals. As it stands now, you could have 2 Hofstra and 3 Cornell playing at Stony Brook (but not against each other) and 1 Virginia and 4 Maryland at Towson State. Plus 5-6-7-8 have two northern and two southern teams.

Let's hope the NCAA sees the win over Duke as a win over a top five team at the time. Duke's the one that's supposed to be punished, not the teams that beat Duke.

RANK     TEAM (FIRST)      RECORD    POINTS   LAST WK
1	Virginia (10)	13-0	200	1
2	Hofstra     	14-1	190	2
3	Cornell     	10-2	176	4
4 	Maryland     	9-4	171	3
5	Georgetown	10-2	163	5
6	Princeton     	9-4	141	7
7	Johns Hopkins	7-4	140	6
8	Syracuse     	7-4	128	9
9	Navy	         11-3	125	8
10	Pennsylvania	10-2	104	10
11	Massachusetts	9-4	92	11
12	Towson     	8-5	88	12
13	UMBC     	          8-4	84	13
14	Denver     	12-4	79	14
15	Penn State	8-4	62	15
16	Army     	         8-6	46	17
17	Harvard     	6-5	28	16
18	Notre Dame	9-4	21	20
19	Delaware     	11-4	20	NR
20	Loyola     	6-5	18	NR
Others receiving votes (in order): Albany 12, Stony Brook 7, Colgate 5				

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2006 11:51PM by billhoward.

Re: Lacrosse poll 5/1/06 - Cornell third
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 10:25AM

Seems to me they use RPI to calculate the "quality" of your wins, Bill. Don't know if LaxPower's calculations match the NCAA's, but here they are:

[www.laxpower.com]

As of now, we've beaten #5, 13, 14, and 15. But Princeton's a tenuous #5 and their game with #36 Brown could knock them down a notch or two. They may also shuffle things around a bit to get the right match-ups for the quarterfinals at Stony Brook and Towson.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: May 02, 2006 11:03AM

Does the NCAA lacrosse committee try to avoid intra-conference first round matchups like in hockey?

Posted by: Chris '03 (69.37.11.---)
Date: May 02, 2006 12:24PM

Chris 02
Does the NCAA lacrosse committee try to avoid intra-conference first round matchups like in hockey?

I don't think it's a published factor like it is in hockey and frankly I wouldn't be surprised at all to see and Ivy-Ivy first round matchup if three teams get in.

Here are the selection criteria:
[www.laxpower.com]

The handbook has only this to say about matchups:
"Pairings for first-round, second-round and quarterfinal games are established by the Division I Men’s Lacrosse Committee and are shown in the tournament bracket,"

For what little it's worth, the women's team played Princeton in the first round in 2001.

Date: May 02, 2006 12:33PM

In recent years they seem to like rematches of regular-season games. Two years ago we had Cornell-Hobart and Princeton-Rutgers in the first round, and last year they did Syracuse-UMass a week or ten days after the regular-season game between the two.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 02:37PM

With lacrosse, concerns for location and fan support mean you drive 280 instead of 330 miles from Ithaca to see the Big Red (if they make the quarterfinals). With hockey, concern for other factors, like the 11 WCHA entrants not having first round matchups, means Cornell fans have to drive 1,000 miles instead of 200 miles, or fly to Denver, or something like that.

Let's see, last year it was Minnesota on their home rink. This year it was Wisconsin a chip-shot away from Madison. This year it may the Duke game gets ignored in the calculations. Sheesh! Is there any other way Cornell fans can get screwed on a regular basis? Oh, wait, there's the quality of the Cornell/CSTV feed for hockey (though it seems just dandy for hoops and wrestling).

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 02:50PM

billhoward
With lacrosse, concerns for location and fan support mean you drive 280 instead of 330 miles from Ithaca to see the Big Red (if they make the quarterfinals). With hockey, concern for other factors, like the 11 WCHA entrants not having first round matchups, means Cornell fans have to drive 1,000 miles instead of 200 miles, or fly to Denver, or something like that.

Let's see, last year it was Minnesota on their home rink. This year it was Wisconsin a chip-shot away from Madison. This year it may the Duke game gets ignored in the calculations. Sheesh! Is there any other way Cornell fans can get screwed on a regular basis? Oh, wait, there's the quality of the Cornell/CSTV feed for hockey (though it seems just dandy for hoops and wrestling).
Your take on things is so remote from the glass half full/half empty conundrum. You always think your glass is jagged and covered in anthrax. Do you enjoy things?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: May 02, 2006 02:51PM

billhoward
Let's see, last year it was Minnesota on their home rink. This year it was Wisconsin a chip-shot away from Madison. This year it may the Duke game gets ignored in the calculations. Sheesh! Is there any other way Cornell fans can get screwed on a regular basis?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 03:03PM

The jelly side of the toast lands face down > 50%.

Ivy schools and Cornell get shafted with regularity in sports. At least the Ivy grads go on to run the country's financial infrastructure and make/break the job-hunting sons and daughters of the NCAA seeding committees.

You want paranoid? Talk to lax fans from the Ned/Richie early years before the NCAA allowed playoffs. Cornell seemed to have one early loss most years, finished real strong, and always got voted second or third behind a couple Johnny Reb schools like Hopkins or Maryland. The voters couldn't believe northern boys (or Canadians or Indians) could play good lacrosse, and if they did, they were expected to migrate south to prove their mettle. Fortunately the playoff came along in 1971 and that shut up the critics. You have to wonder if the playoffs had started circa 1968 if Cornell wouldn't have another couple NCAA trophies. Oops, there I go again.

Posted by: ninian '72 (165.224.215.---)
Date: May 02, 2006 03:09PM

Too lazy to check this out, but there was an additional complaint in those days that southern schools would only consent to play us early in the season, which - given the difference in weather and practice field conditions between Ithaca and say, Charlottesville - would give them an additional edge in playing us. Trying to out-Ned Ned.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2006 03:11PM by ninian '72.

Date: May 02, 2006 03:17PM

ninian '72
Too lazy to check this out, but there was an additional complaint in those days that southern schools would only consent to play us early in the season, which - given the difference in weather and practice field conditions between Ithaca and say, Charlottesville - would give them an additional edge in playing us. Trying to out-Ned Ned.
It may just have been a scheduling problem. Or it may have been the traditional thing northern lacrosse schools did: schedule early season games down south to start the season where the weather was warmer--unlike, say, Ithaca and Hanover.

The 1971 champs opened their season in--tada--Charlottesville with a one-goal loss to Virginia. If the NCAA tournament hadn't come along, the smoke-filled-room-awarded title would have again headed south.

Date: May 02, 2006 03:40PM

billhoward
Hey, Bill, do people give you this kind of shit over the stuff you write for the magazine? whistle

If Cornell gets to Stony Brook, I might drive down (ferry?). Interested?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 02, 2006 04:04PM

billhoward

[mythbusters] Having nothing to do with the actual presence of jelly. Unless you drop it from a significant height after spreading it on strongly[/mythbusters]

:)

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 09:27AM

billhoward

Ivy schools and Cornell get shafted with regularity in sports. At least the Ivy grads go on to run the country's financial infrastructure and make/break the job-hunting sons and daughters of the NCAA seeding committees.

You want paranoid? Talk to lax fans from the Ned/Richie early years before the NCAA allowed playoffs. Cornell seemed to have one early loss most years, finished real strong, and always got voted second or third behind a couple Johnny Reb schools like Hopkins or Maryland. The voters couldn't believe northern boys (or Canadians or Indians) could play good lacrosse, and if they did, they were expected to migrate south to prove their mettle. Fortunately the playoff came along in 1971 and that shut up the critics. You have to wonder if the playoffs had started circa 1968 if Cornell wouldn't have another couple NCAA trophies. Oops, there I go again.

About a decade ago I happened to look up Lax in an encyclopedia (back when they were actually printed in book form ;-) and the article had a paragraph discussing how Cornell would regularly be screwed out of the NCAA title before the playoff. It was biased enough to make you think the Lax entry in that particular volume had been written by the Cornell athletics department.

Can't remember which encyclopedia it was. I'm pretty sure it was in the Westford, MA library.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 09:49AM

schoaff
About a decade ago I happened to look up Lax in an encyclopedia (back when they were actually printed in book form ;-) and the article had a paragraph discussing how Cornell would regularly be screwed out of the NCAA title before the playoff. It was biased enough to make you think the Lax entry in that particular volume had been written by the Cornell athletics department.
I won't dispute that Cornell lax got jobbed by the pollsters when I was a fetus (excuse me, preborn person) but this has nothing to do with Bill's definition. Cornell got screwed because they lost to Harvard in the ECAC final? Because Duke cancelled their season? Has 'screwed' been redefined to mean 'don't like the outcome'?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 03, 2006 05:56PM

ugarte
Has 'screwed' been redefined to mean 'don't like the outcome'?
The hockey team got totally screwed in 1993! It was so unfair! We would've been national champions if we'd only had a few more good players and hadn't gotten screwed out of an ECAC plyoff slot!

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 10:48PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Hey, Bill, do people give you this kind of shit over the stuff you write for the magazine? whistle

If Cornell gets to Stony Brook, I might drive down (ferry?). Interested?

Assuming Cornell gets past the first round (I'm paying tribute to any woofing gods still lurking post-hockey season), I have a niece graduating from college in Grove City, Pa., and short of leasing a couple hours in a Gulfstream, we're not going to be in two places that day. A shame, because the quarters have been Cornell's problematic post-season game. I think we're going to the semis and finals regardless because Philadelphia is only 90 minutes away.

As my friend John C. Dvorak points out, when people complain about you online, it's still a page click, and the advertisers are happy. Plus you have to learn to write in phrases that register well on search engines. When I do car/tech stuff, we've found that iPod adapter ... concept car ... and booth babe are all important Google phrases. The first two are pretty easy to work in.

The third is difficult to work into a technical site ... but we're giving it our best effort. Some attempts [www.technoride.com] worked better than others [www.technoride.com] . I actually felt sorry for the Volvo models shown in the second example. I was tempted to ask, "Do you get to keep the clothes after the auto show?" I was also tempted to ask if Up With People is back in business. But it seemed like that would be rubbing it in. The Web's restrictive color set does not do full justice to that turquoise/green sheen.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:21PM

billhoward
As my friend John C. Dvorak points out, when people complain about you online, it's still a page click, and the advertisers are happy.

You can tell your friend that we all know he's just a click-whore when he writes patronizing articles that make no sense.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login