Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Mel Kiper on Kevin Boothe

Posted by aip888 
Mel Kiper on Kevin Boothe
Posted by: aip888 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:57PM

Heard this on ESPN Sportscenter...

"When you look at Kevin Boothe out of Cornell…here’s a guy, an offensive lineman who can play both guard spots and both tackle spots. He was a man among boys in the Ivy League. Kevin Boothe out of Cornell, I believe in the 2nd or 3rd round. NFL ready, very smart and very versatile. He would be a heckuva pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. I believe if you can get him at that point, he’d be a wise choice."

Re: Mel Kiper on Kevin Boothe
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 11:41AM

The clip occurs 47 minutes into the hour.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: April 13, 2006 01:14PM

Found an article on the Browns website about Kevin Boothe:

[www.clevelandbrowns.com]

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 11:57PM

[q] The Ivy League, seldom known for its football talent - at least since the 1920s - got some attention this season when former Harvard quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick emerged from obscurity and appeared in four games for the St. Louis Rams after injuries plagued his position group.[/q] Grumble... Cornell's run continued into the (very) early 1950's.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 01:59AM

David Harding
[q] The Ivy League, seldom known for its football talent - at least since the 1920s - got some attention this season when former Harvard quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick emerged from obscurity and appeared in four games for the St. Louis Rams after injuries plagued his position group.[/q] Grumble... Cornell's run continued into the (very) early 1950's.

Well, considering the Ivy League didn't officially exist until 1956, the 1920s comment doesn't make sense. Also, as we all know, the league had a legitimate Heisman candidate in 1971. I guess that can count under the word "seldom" in the above statement. With the league's move to I-AA in the early '80s, that pretty much ended any chance for major national attention.

FYI, the student assemblies and councils of Harvard, Princeton, Penn, and the Ivy Council recently passed proposals calling for the elimination of the post-season football ban. That's nice to see. However, I'm more in favor of extending the hockey game limit for obvious reasons.

[www.i-aa.com]
[www.cstv.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: April 14, 2006 10:21AM

RichH
David Harding

Well, considering the Ivy League didn't officially exist until 1956, the 1920s comment doesn't make sense. Also, as we all know, the league had a legitimate Heisman candidate in 1971. I guess that can count under the word "seldom" in the above statement. With the league's move to I-AA in the early '80s, that pretty much ended any chance for major national attention.

Plus, have they already completely forgotten about Jay Fiedler?!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: mgl11 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 01:30PM

and 4 time pro-bowler Matt Birk? Or Cornell alum Seth Payne? There are probably 20 - 25 players from the Ivy league in the NFL...it's not that much of a rarity. The NBA, that's a totally different story.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: April 14, 2006 01:44PM

On the other hand, an Ivy Leaguer actually getting attention in the NFL is pretty rare. Far fewer qualify, which is why I only mentioned Fiedler.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.19.140.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 08:15PM

This looks to be up to date only through 2004 (and who knows how accurate it is...), but it lists NFL players (past and present) by college: [www.databasefootball.com]

Someone else can count, but I think 20-25 is on the high side. 10-15 is more likely.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 11:12AM

Beeeej
On the other hand, an Ivy Leaguer actually getting attention in the NFL is pretty rare. Far fewer qualify, which is why I only mentioned Fiedler.

Beeeej

Well, I guess negative attention is still attention. :-P

Marcellus Wiley (Columbia) had a good run a few years ago where he was getting a lot of accolades. I don't think he is so highly regarded currently.

Date: April 29, 2006 11:46PM

aip888
Heard this on ESPN Sportscenter...

"When you look at Kevin Boothe out of Cornell, here's a guy, an offensive lineman who can play both guard spots and both tackle spots. He was a man among boys in the Ivy League. Kevin Boothe out of Cornell, I believe in the 2nd or 3rd round. NFL ready, very smart and very versatile. He would be a heckuva pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. I believe if you can get him at that point, he?d be a wise choice."
Thiurd round is over and he hasn't been picked yet. Whoever compiles the assessments on the NFL site was not terribly enthusiastic. [www.nfl.com]
Also, I hadn't realized that we had a junior who declared for the draft, Stephen Tulloch. [www.nfl.com] Is that as good a sign for the football program as our hockey players leaving early is for the hockey program?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 01:47AM

David Harding
I hadn't realized that we had a junior who declared for the draft, Stephen Tulloch. Is that as good a sign for the football program as our hockey players leaving early is for the hockey program?
A Cornell that leaves school early despite the low grade given to him by the NFL makes me think that the nfl scouting report isn't the only problem that he is having with low grades. Rank speculation - and admittedly unfair - but I can't see why else a marginal prospect would leave a school like Cornell early.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 30, 2006 09:15AM

Tulloch is actually mislabled, he is a linebacker from NC State. I saw that too on a site, and when I clicked on his profile, it said he goes to NC State. I looked at it further to see which was right. He does not go to Cornell. I'm not sure how they made a mistake like that, but they did.

Date: April 30, 2006 09:49AM

Ronald '09
Tulloch is actually mislabled, he is a linebacker from NC State. I saw that too on a site, and when I clicked on his profile, it said he goes to NC State. I looked at it further to see which was right. He does not go to Cornell. I'm not sure how they made a mistake like that, but they did.
I was wondering why I didn't recognize the name at all. Apologies to Mr. Tulloch. I hope this decision works out for him.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 30, 2006 12:00PM

he just got drafted 116th by tennessee anyway

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2006 02:31PM

is kevin boothe ever going to get drafted? So much for 2nd round..

Date: April 30, 2006 03:00PM

finally..

7th in the 6th round, 176th overall, oakland raiders

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 03:19PM

Jason L
finally..

I hate the Raiders, but if I was an offensive lineman, it would would be pretty cool to be coached by Art Shell.

Boothe to the Raiders
Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 04:19PM

Congratulations, Kevin! Good luck in the NFL.

Date: April 30, 2006 05:06PM

Jason L
I hope that his time with the Raiders is more fruitful than Chad Levitt's was. So far he is the only Ivy player drafted. IIRC, the only other Ivy players on the ESPN draft board were Nick Hartigan (RB-Brown) and Jay McCareins (S-Princeton).

Date: April 30, 2006 05:45PM

Ronald '09
Ah, thanks. I should have noticed the text in the box, but I jumped straight to the commentary.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 06:20PM

Just out of curiousity, how does one get on the draft board? Do you have to declare yourself eligible? To me, in theory, the NFL teams should be able to draft any player they want. I take it that is not the case.

Date: April 30, 2006 06:22PM

djk26
Just out of curiousity, how does one get on the draft board? Do you have to declare yourself eligible? To me, in theory, the NFL teams should be able to draft any player they want. I take it that is not the case.

its not like hockey where you can be drafted and still play college hockey. you have to actively declare yourself (at which point you lose your elgibility to play in the NCAAs).

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 11:04AM

Jason L
djk26

its not like hockey where you can be drafted and still play college hockey. you have to actively declare yourself (at which point you lose your elgibility to play in the NCAAs).
A player is eligible for the NFL draft if he has (a) exhausted his college eligibility or (b) declared himself eligible for the NFL draft, thereby forfeiting his remaining college eligibility. Unlike basketball (unless the rules changed again), there are no "takebacks" in football. If you declare, you are done, whether on not you hire an agent.

The "NFL draft board" is simply a list of players that experts think might get drafted. Sometimes teams will take players in the later rounds that aren't on any public draft board; nobodies rarely get taken in the early rounds*. The different public boards areThe NFL.com board isn't the same as the ESPN.com board (for example, I think McCareins and Hartigan only appeared on ESPN's list.) These draft boards are like the Central Scouting Bureau lists, not lists of players that have opted in.

*This is mostly a question of strategy. If nobody else knows about your hidden gem there is no point in drafting him high. You use up a high pick and you have to pay the hidden gem a high-round signing bonus. For example, I think the Seahawks signed John Kitna as a free agent after the draft. He had a relatively undistinguished college career at Central Washington, so Seattle was the only team that really knew anything about him. As soon as they signed him, Holmgren suggested that he could be an NFL starter within a year. It doesn't happen often, but Kitna was a huge bargain (even if he isn't exactly a Hall of Famer.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2006 11:15AM by ugarte.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2006 01:31PM

Mel Kiper has repeatedly said today that Kevin Boothe was a steal for Oakland in the sixth round.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.0.124.121.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 03:52PM

atb9
Mel Kiper has repeatedly said today that Kevin Boothe was a steal for Oakland in the sixth round.

Michael Smith of Fox Sports disagrees:
"WORST PICK [of the 6th round]
Oakland Raiders: Kevin Boothe, OT, Cornell — Boothe was inconsistent in college, and if he couldn't consistently beat the man across from him at Cornell, the quality of defensive lineman he'll see in the NFL will eat him for lunch. If there's any coach who can teach a lineman how to become an NFL star it's Art Shell, but making Boothe a star would require a miracle worker. Note: Boothe was a hotel administration major. Ivy League schools have hotel administration majors?"

[msn.foxsports.com]

Adam Schein (who I think is a Syracuse guy) says:
"And I liked the pick of Cornell offensive linemen Kevin Boothe. He will shift to guard in the NFL and get coached up by Jackie Slater and Art Shell. This added depth and talent to the offensive line in the 6th round."
[msn.foxsports.com]

Finally, an amusing note:
"176. Oakland: Kevin Boothe, G, Cornell. The Raiders drafted an ivy leaguer, and it just seems like there should be something in the United States Constitution that makes that illegal. How is he supposed to fit in? He can’t teach everyone on the team how to read. What are they going to start drafting next, guys who don’t carry guns? Guys who volunteer in the community? I am disappointed, Raiders."

[www.deadspin.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 06:32PM

Chris '03
"WORST PICK [of the 6th round]
Oakland Raiders: Kevin Boothe, OT, Cornell — Boothe was inconsistent in college, and if he couldn't consistently beat the man across from him at Cornell, the quality of defensive lineman he'll see in the NFL will eat him for lunch. If there's any coach who can teach a lineman how to become an NFL star it's Art Shell, but making Boothe a star would require a miracle worker. Note: Boothe was a hotel administration major. Ivy League schools have hotel administration majors?"
This appears to mimic some of the commentary from the nfl.com scouting report. Everyone likes Boothe's athleticism, size and potential, but the knock on him at nfl.com was that (for an NFL lineman) he, well, sucks.

If his problem is technique, Schein probably has the right idea. If you are going to be a raw rookie OL in the NFL, a team with Slater and Shell on the coaching staff is where you want to be.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: May 04, 2006 02:16PM

Dr. Z at SI.com:

RAIDERS: Don't start resurrecting the Robert Gallery pick and telling me, "Look at all the great guys they could have had who were drafted after him; this club doesn't know what it's doing." It was hats in the air all around when they made that selection. I think their top choice, CB-S combination Michael Huff, is just fine, and I salute the gambling instinct that led them to such guys as LB Thomas Howard and T Paul McQuistan and G Kevin Boothe, all of whom are on the rise and could pay off big some day. Doesn't it seem like about a year ago that all us draftniks were projecting Vince Young to the Raiders?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 10:30PM

From the San Francisco Chronicle on the August 6 Oakland-Philadelphia game [www.sfgate.com] [q]Another draft pick, sixth-rounder Kevin Boothe, played right guard the whole second half.[/q]

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 10:01PM

> Also, as we all know, the league had a legitimate Heisman candidate in 1971. <

What about Yale's Rich Diana in 1981? Consequently, that was the last year that Ivy League football was Div. 1-A. When Yale came to Schoellkopf that year to play us on homecoming, they were 8-0, and I believe ranked in the top 20. A loss to Princeton at the end of the season took them out of the rankings.

Shoot, Dick Kazmaier from Princeton actually won the Heisman in 1951. Hey, that's only 55 years ago.

I have to tell you though, it was a real kick in the stomach when the NCAA demoted the Ivy League to Div. 1-AA status in 1982.

USA Today on Kevin Boothe
Date: September 03, 2006 11:57PM

I don't know how long the link will last, but an unnamed writer at USA Today likes Kevin Boothe. [www.usatoday.com]

[q]DRAFT PICKS TO STICK
Rd. 6/176 G-T Kevin Boothe, Cornell ? His strength, smarts and athletic ability make him a keeper, although he may watch as a rookie.[/q]

[q]OFFENSIVE LINE: LT Robert Gallery, LG Barry Sims, C Corey Hulsey, RG Paul McQuistan, RT Langston Walker. Backups ? T Chad Slaughter, G-T Brad Badger, G Kelvin Garmon, C Adam Treu, G-T Kevin Boothe, C Chris Morris, C Jake Grove.

Shell has been in overtime on Gallery, imparting the wisdom of a Hall of Fame left tackle. Gallery has been beset by false starts and given up pre-season sacks, but Shell insists he is fine and will develop into a Pro Bowl player. The line's success may depend on it. Sims, who was having trouble against speed rushers as a left tackle, could benefit from the shift inside. Hulsey's strength earned him the temporary starting role until Grove, an aggressive mauler, returns from a shoulder strain around Week 3 or 4, with Hulsey then becoming a reserve guard. Badger's value lies as a swing man in case of emergency. McQuistan was made a starter in April and will have some rough moments but Shell and Co. are convinced he can be a Kevin Gogan-type guard. Walker, who played left guard last year, is the biggest question mark on the line. His last stint as the starter at right tackle lasted exactly one game before he was replaced by Gallery. Garmon has seven years experience and can start in a pinch. Treu may be on the way out in favor of Morris eventually, who is a similar player with similar skills. Boothe could eventually supplant Sims at tackle in a year or two if things go according to plan.
[/q]

As of today he is listed as the #2 right guard on the depth chart.
[www.nfl.com]
[www.raiders.com]

Date: September 15, 2006 12:06AM

Kevin saw a little action on Sunday. The San Franciso Chronicle
[sfgate.com] wasn't enthusiastic about the Raiders. [q]Coaching: D

Everyone knew the Chargers were going to hand off to Tomlinson all night, yet the Raiders couldn't come up with preventive measures that worked until the third quarter. But at least they made adjustments. Offensive coordinator Tom Walsh used some imagination in an effort to spring Jordan in the first half. On the first series of the play, rookie Kevin Boothe checked in as a sixth offensive lineman for two plays. That produced two 3-yard runs. Everything else was vanilla-bean ice cream, minus the sugar.
[/q]

Posted by: jhib (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 01:41PM

He played part of the game vs. the Ravens and might get the start this weekend.

[sfgate.com]

Boothe on Sunday Night Football
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2006 10:03PM

Madden and Michaels are talking about how Boothe broke his nose last week and had to go to the hospital during the game.

He started tonight, but is currently out with blood coming out of his nose...

Re: Boothe on Sunday Night Football
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2006 10:12PM

Chris '03
Madden and Michaels are talking about how Boothe broke his nose last week and had to go to the hospital during the game.

That's a bad break. I thought he was looking pretty good tonight, although the team is pretty awful.

Re: Boothe on Sunday Night Football
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2006 10:31PM

Al DeFlorio
Chris '03

That's a bad break. I thought he was looking pretty good tonight, although the team is pretty awful.

He's back in now (right guard #67). The man played with two broken hands... one hopes a bloody nose doesn't keep him out.

Kevin Boothe on MNF
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 08:50PM

Boothe starts for Raiders at right guard on Monday Night Football tonight (11/6).

Re: Kevin Boothe on MNF
Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 09:03PM

jkahn
Boothe starts for Raiders at right guard on Monday Night Football tonight (11/6).

And was introduced as an "up and coming player" (she said paraphrasing) by the Raider doing the intros (sorry I didn't catch who it was).

Re: Kevin Boothe on SportsCenter
Posted by: bigred06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 11:22AM

On sportscenter today they showed a clip of Boothe getting yelled at after the Raiders gave up three straight sacks.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 07, 2006 03:08PM

bigred06
On sportscenter today they showed a clip of Boothe getting yelled at after the Raiders gave up three straight sacks.
I saw that sequence. Awful. None of them were coverage sacks. I looked for Boothe after each one but I didn't know his number and didn't see enough of anyone's back (except the total bust Gallery) to read his name. I figured, though, that with 9 sacks allowed at least one had to be his fault.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 05:56PM

ugarte
bigred06
I saw that sequence. Awful. None of them were coverage sacks. I looked for Boothe after each one but I didn't know his number and didn't see enough of anyone's back (except the total bust Gallery) to read his name. I figured, though, that with 9 sacks allowed at least one had to be his fault.
Boothe wears 67, and the guy opposite him pretty much had his way last night. Along with everyone else in Seattle's defensive line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login