Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Admission fee again for sports events

Posted by billhoward 
Admission fee again for sports events
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 02:48AM

[www.cornellsun.com]

>>> For the past decade, it has been a Cornell tradition that all students are granted free admission to all athletic events excluding men's hockey games and playoff contests. However, this will all change in the fall of 2006, as the Athletics Department will be charging a nominal fee for entrance to select sporting events for undergraduates in order to recoup money lost from not receiving byline funding from the Student Assembly after missing the proposal deadline.

Will this boost revenues enough to make up for the even-emptier stands?

Story says it will be $2 or $3 up to $5 for events that are currently free.

Re: Admission fee again for sports events
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.10.244.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 12:26PM

After they pay the additional staff to administer this fee, how much do they realistically expect to make? They'll drive even more people away from sports like football and lacrosse.

In the bast Athletics has bullied the SA into providing funding with threats that they'd do something like this. Year after year, the SAFC would take a chunk of the student activity fee away from student groups and funnel it to athletics.

This year though the boneheads in athletics missed the deadline? Maybe they run in the red because they are idiots. What other deadlines have they missed? Why should anyone donate to athletics when they are this irresponsible? They can't even get to the point of bullying this year!

Wrestling will probably still be free...rolleyes

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 03:22PM

Sigh. Athletics is stupid.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 04:33PM

Liz '05
Sigh. Athletics is stupid.
And, just in case we might possibly forget, they pull out all the stops to remind us every chance they get. screwy

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 23, 2006 08:46PM

So I just read the article. Noel will turn down 100k+ b/c there is a stipulation he has to give 10% of it to club sports in order to charge $3 for students to go to sporting events that they will just stop going to? Just plain ridiculous. There is no way they are gonna make up the 100k on the fees at the gate of these events. Also, knowing several club athletes, I give the SA a lot of respect for adding that stipulation in there.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 10:57PM

Good. This gets rid of any guilt I'll have in sneaking in to as many athletics contests I can for the forseeable future.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 07:55AM

RichH
Good. This gets rid of any guilt I'll have in sneaking in to as many athletics contests I can for the forseeable future.

You seriously felt guilty about this before?

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:25AM

Jacob 03
RichH

You seriously felt guilty about this before?

That's future tense. And I have been a sport and paid for some tickets in recent years. Now the gloves are off.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2006 03:05PM by RichH.

Posted by: RichH (---.cttel.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:27AM

Double post.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2006 03:05PM by RichH.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 02:07PM

Random thought: If they insist on charging admission, they ought to make it so that you can swipe your id and get charged later and/or return to a coupon book system. People don't carry much cash when you don't even need it to eat out in C-town. Why would they stop at the ATM to pick up cash for a sporting event?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 03:25PM

Sounds like this is part ego problem: "That's simply not going to happen. We are struggling to meet our own requirements," he [Noel] said. "Certain things are just a reality. We're not going to accept a mandate to give 10 percent of our income to anybody."

Part incompetence: "The Athletics Department has been denied byline funding by the S.A. after missing the proposal deadline."

And part simple stupidity: "We gave up revenue to do this because we care about the students..." said Cornell Athletics Director Andy Noel.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 24, 2006 04:04PM

Liz '05
Random thought: If they insist on charging admission, they ought to make it so that you can swipe your id and get charged later and/or return to a coupon book system. People don't carry much cash when you don't even need it to eat out in C-town. Why would they stop at the ATM to pick up cash for a sporting event?

Well, in my day you could buy season football tickets just like season hockey tickets, only they were really cheap and easy to come by.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 10:50PM

It's generational: Maybe students who don't go to as many sports events are working out themselves rather than sitting in the stands drinking Annie Green Springs, Boone's Farm, Spanada, Cold Duck (Red Duck?), Bartyls and James, and Zima. (God, what ways to poison yourself.) I love seeing all those exercise machines in Teagle for students.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea to allocate 10% of funding to club sports. OTOH I'm suspicious from my undergraduate days of anything done by Cornell student government about equally as much as I'm suspicious of anything done by Day Hall or the athletics administration. Even if I don't think of myself as an anarchist ...

Skorton, the new president, seems to be a fitness buff or at least interested in fitness and well-being (he's also a vegetarian) ... but he's also president of a Big Ten (Big Twelve now?) university. Wonder if any of this catches his attention?

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:11AM

Out of curiosity, does anyone know/is anyone willing to volunteer how much club athletes from various sports pay in dues to play at Cornell?

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:55PM

billhoward
... but he's also president of a Big Ten (Big Twelve now?) university...
Big Eleven.

Editorial in Sun
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.37.76.184.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 01:11PM

The Sun took the SA to task for this today: [media.www.cornellsun.com]

Apparently the way athletics bullied the SA in the past has been quickly forgotten. The proposed solution is actually pretty reasonable but really difficult to budget, especially the way the SA handles money.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 04:07PM

Another aspect of all this is that many, many club sports are factioning into A and B talent-level squads, and each of these is now applying for SAFC funding. Just from observation, I can tell you that these A and B squads practice together, socialize together, and are essentially the same team--just broken up so that they can double their SAFC taking power. The number of student groups applying for funding this year rose by--what, 100?--this year alone, and that comes at the expense of older groups because all SAFC funding comes from a pool of money that doesn't change size. A little administrative control on how many women's under-20 over-18 backwards-only figure skating teams are allowed to exist and claim funding could go a long way in saving everybody some money.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login