Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Cornell football coach search

Posted by Ken711 
New Cornell football coach search
Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2023 06:18PM

Glad they are using a professional executive search company to assist in the national search.

Re: New Cornell football coach search
Posted by: Local Motion (192.34.178.---)
Date: November 19, 2023 06:26PM

While I feed badly for David Archer as he's a really good guy, but this is good news for the Cornell football program. Go Big Red!!!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2023 07:57PM

Ken711
Glad they are using a professional executive search company to assist in the national search.
The last time that happened I think we wound up with Cheney as VP.

(OTOH, Cheney would figure out how to win.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2023 09:23PM

(Re: Cheney: Don't go hunting in the afternoon with a guy who had a drink at lunch.)

Date: November 19, 2023 09:40PM

Bill Belichick should be available. He's a Wesleyan grad so he knows academic schools. But he's old. About as old as Bob Blackman when we hired him. Wait, Belichick is 71 and Blackman at Cornell came aboard at 59. When somebody around 60 shows up and you're a student or recent grad, it feels like he's an octogenarian.

Date: November 19, 2023 09:45PM

Ken711
a) Definitely a help.
b) If it doesn't work out, it's CYA insurance.

My friends at Princeton who've played football say: Cornell should be the most successful football school in the Ivy League. You've got the freakin' ag school.

Date: November 19, 2023 11:21PM

billhoward
b) If it doesn't work out, it's CYA insurance.
"You don't hire the consultant to help you decide. You hire the consultant to have somebody to blame."

It worked for the Sacklers.

Date: November 19, 2023 11:53PM

If you find the right coach and he's relatively young, you could look forward to several decades of winning football in the Ivy League. As Harvard has done.

The success profile is based on the Ivy coaches with 5+ years coaching an Ivy school: He might or might not be an alum, age was late 30s when hired, if he didn't catch fire immediately at least the new HC got the team headed upwards a year or two into his tenure. Cornell should be looking for the 2023 version of 1980s D3 head coach Al Bagnoli then at Union who for two decades at Penn won two-thirds of the games. The current winning Ivy coaches were hired from HC positions at other schools, not from assistant positions at big-time schools, and they have roots (growing up or coaching) in the Northeast.

Ivy Head Coaches >5 Years Sorted by Win Pct.

Harvard:         Tim Murphy
Years at H:      30 (including Covid year) 
Age hired:       38* 
Previous HC yrs: 7 (Maine 2, Cincinnati 5)
Record:          200-89 (0.692) Ivy 
Ivy titles:      10     
Undergrad:       Springfield '78

Yale:            Tony Reno 
Years as P HC:   12
Age hired:       38
Previous HC yrs: -- 
Record:          67-43 (0.609)  
Undergrad:       Worcester State '97

Princeton:       Bob Surace 
Years as P HC :  14
Age hired:       42
Record:          78-52 (0.600)  
Ivy titles:      4
Schools HC:      Western Connecticut (2), Princeton
Undergrad:       Princeton '90

Penn:            Ray Priore
Years as P HC :  9 
Age hired:       38 
Record:          47-32 (0.595)  
Ivy titles:      2
Undergrad:       SUNY Albany ~'85

* Age hired may be off by one year depending on time of year hired vs. birth date.

Others <5 years HC at Ivy school 
Brown: James Perry, Brown '00, hired 2019, 7-23 (0.143) Ivy, 19-33 (0.273 overall). Brown by year: 2-8, covid year, 2-8, 3-7.  It will be interesting to see if Brown is patient with their alum as Cornell was with ours.
Columbia: Mark Fabish, Penn '97, 2023 (interim for Al Bagnoli)
Dartmouth: Sammy McCorkle, Florida '97, 2023 (for Buddy Teevens, died)

Two other coaches had extensive experience at two Ivy schools, both left recently for health reasons in 2023:

Al Bagnoli, Central Connecticut '75, was hired as Union HC in 1982, in 10 years went 86-19, 6X NCAA D3 playoffs, 2X title game, then 148-80 at Penn 1992-2014 and 9 Ivy titles. In hindsight, Cornell perhaps could have hired Bagnoli when Maxie Baughn was fired after the 1988 season (Zippergate not on-field issues) rather than Jim Fouts who lasted one year. Worn out (Bagnoli) from football, he retired after 2014, then was hired at Columbia for the 2015 season and went 35-35, then stepped down as HC August 2023 to "transition into a new role within the athletics department, where he will be mentoring Columbia's head coaches and spearheading fundraising initiatives. Columbia's offensive coordinator Mark Fabish will take over as interim head coach for the 2023 season."

Buddy Teevens, Dartmouth '79, coached Maine, Dartmouth 1987-91 (2 Ivy titles), Tulane (11-45), 5 years as Illinois/Florida assistant jobs, 3 years at Stanford (10-23), then back to Dartmouth 2005-2022 (3 more titles), then was hit by a pickup March 2023 and died six months later at 66. Dartmouth overall record, 117-101-2. Two interesting career notes: He was, like David Archer, seen as a nice guy and even appeared at the announcement of his Stanford firing; he also played Dartmouth hockey and was on the 1979 Dartmouth team that was third at the NCAA tournament.

For Cornell, we've been down so long, anything looks like it's up. The school with the largest Ivy enrollment has yet to win an unshared Ivy League title. The closest Cornell came was 8-1 in Ed Marinario's senior year, the lone loss to Dartmouth when Cornell's top receivers were sick and that allowed Dartmouth's defense to concentrate on Marinaro. Yeah, I'm still bitter about the outcome but not as bad as about the OT loss to Wisconsin in the 1973 NCAA hockey semifinal.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2023 01:07AM by billhoward.

Date: November 20, 2023 01:16AM

Ken711
Glad Cornell made public the change just 25 hours after the season ended. Maybe the search company can accelerate the search process. Maybe Cornell can have a new head coach by end-of-year. Or January. Ivy league players don't sign letters or intent as at scholarship schools. But at least they want to know who they'll be playing for.

With freshmen eligible to play Ivy sports since 1993, at most there's one lost recruiting year in the wake of a coaching change.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2023 08:46AM

On Parker’s website (that’s the search company), they say their average turn around time on a head coaching search is 10-14 days. I assume that’s the timeframe for identifying recommended candidates.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2023 09:21AM

scoop85
On Parker’s website (that’s the search company), they say their average turn around time on a head coaching search is 10-14 days. I assume that’s the timeframe for identifying recommended candidates.

Considering that Archer’s departure and choice of a search firm were announced simultaneously, I think both decisions were made prior to the Columbia game.

Date: November 20, 2023 04:30PM

George64
scoop85

Considering that Archer’s departure and choice of a search firm were announced simultaneously, I think both decisions were made prior to the Columbia game.

I agree with you. It looks like they decided to move on from Archer before the Columbia game. Anyway, an earlier search and selection will assist with recruiting and player development before next season.

Date: November 20, 2023 04:51PM

Ken711
George64
scoop85

I agree with you. It looks like they decided to move on from Archer before the Columbia game. Anyway, an earlier search and selection will assist with recruiting and player development before next season.

And perhaps make use of the transfer portal.

Posted by: tycho (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2023 09:25PM

Here is the link to the official position listing on the website of Parker Executive Search, for those interested (or those interested in applying or nominating, I suppose). Note that the position will entail "outdoor activites in variable and/or inclement weather conditions" and will require a "clean and valid driver's license" at the time of employment.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2023 09:31PM by tycho.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2023 10:07PM

tycho
Here is the link to the official position listing on the website of Parker Executive Search, for those interested (or those interested in applying or nominating, I suppose). Note that the position will entail "outdoor activites in variable and/or inclement weather conditions" and will require a "clean and valid driver's license" at the time of employment.

“Typically lifts 30 to 50 lbs”?

Date: November 20, 2023 10:24PM

scoop85
tycho

I'd have thought the weight of a generally unsupportive administration would've been far in excess of that range of figures.

In any case, though not an employment lawyer, I have read this not uncommon bullet point to be a backdoor loophole to creating plausible deniability with respect to ADA compliance. Certainly does sound silly in this context.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2023 10:25PM by tycho.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2023 12:01AM

tycho
scoop85
tycho

I'd have thought the weight of a generally unsupportive administration would've been far in excess of that range of figures.

In any case, though not an employment lawyer, I have read this not uncommon bullet point to be a backdoor loophole to creating plausible deniability with respect to ADA compliance. Certainly does sound silly in this context.

A five-gallon cooler of Gatorade weighs 40+ pounds.

Posted by: tycho (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 21, 2023 07:46AM

David Harding
tycho
scoop85
tycho

A five-gallon cooler of Gatorade weighs 40+ pounds.

Corrected: The Roger J. Weiss ‘61 Water Boy and Head Coach of Football

Man, that program really is lean!

Date: November 21, 2023 10:27AM

Columbia is dismissing their interim coach Mark Fabish, so they'll be two Ivy League head coach openings now. Finishing last in the Ivy League would have been a tough justification to retain Fabish.

I'll throw out a couple of possible names for the Cornell and Columbia head coach openings. Dan Swanstrom, who I mentioned as possible candidate before, the former Ithaca College head coach and current U. of Pennsylvania Offensive Coordinator, and Sean Gleeson, the former Princeton, Oklahoma State and Rutgers Offensive Coordinator, and currently a Senior Offensive Analyst at Northwestern.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2023 10:45AM

It will be hard to do worse than Archer, but I am sympathetic to the argument that Cornell football simply does not have the resources to be competitive. I am also sympathetic to the argument that Archer’s replacement, unless he is a Cornell alum or otherwise has strong ties to Ithaca, will immediately jump to a better program if he finds success at Cornell. So I can’t say I am hopeful about the future of Cornell football, even though Archer needed to go.

For the second reason above, the former IC coach sounds appealing.

Date: November 21, 2023 11:38AM

BearLover
I am also sympathetic to the argument that Archer’s replacement, unless he is a Cornell alum or otherwise has strong ties to Ithaca, will immediately jump to a better program if he finds success at Cornell.

Regarding the new hire immediately jumping to a better program, he should take a look at alumnus Jim Hofher’s career after leaving Cornell to become QB coach at North Carolina. In his only other HC role, he flopped miserably at Buffalo. He’s been a journeyman ever since. If nothing else, Cornell provides job security for its football coaches.

Date: November 21, 2023 12:20PM

I almost read the end of your post as, 'Sean Gleeson ... currently a Senior Offensive Analyst at Northwestern Mutual Life.'

Posted by: Swampy (---.datapacket.com)
Date: November 21, 2023 01:42PM

billhoward
I almost read the end of your post as, 'Sean Gleeson ... currently a Senior Offensive Analyst at Northwestern Mutual Life.'

There may be many offensive analysts at Northwestern Mutual Life.

Posted by: Swampy (---.datapacket.com)
Date: November 21, 2023 02:04PM

scoop85
tycho

The parts that caught my eye are:
  • "appreciates the size of the Department and the role of Football at the University"
  • "Can deliver a compelling vision for the program's future while managing within budget"

With regard to the first, do they mean "below average size" or does "role of Football (why capitalize?) at the University," refer to football's post-1970 role as doormat?

With regard to the second, can "doormat dictated by minimal resources" satisfy the "compelling vision ... within budget" requirement?

Re: New Cornell football coach search.
Date: November 21, 2023 02:18PM

While I have no idea regarding the search group looking for a new head football coach, I know former Big Red QB and NFL coach Bill Lazor has been mentioned dating back to the early 2000's. At age 51 and a very impressive coaching resume I hope Cornell has him on their radar. He's young enough to be around for the next 15 years and he obviously knows how to coach QB's and direct the offense at Cornell. Maybe pair him with Jared Backus continuing to run the defense. Cornell would probably need to open their wallet to attract Bill Lazor back to Ithaca. Go Big Red!

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2023 02:29PM

Local Motion
While I have no idea regarding the search group looking for a new head football coach, I know former Big Red QB and NFL coach Bill Lazor has been mentioned dating back to the early 2000's. At age 51 and a very impressive coaching resume I hope Cornell has him on their radar. He's young enough to be around for the next 15 years and he obviously knows how to coach QB's and direct the offense at Cornell. Maybe pair him with Jared Backus continuing to run the defense. Cornell would probably need to open their wallet to attract Bill Lazor back to Ithaca. Go Big Red!
Bill Lazor is still coaching in the NFL. Bill Lazor is not walking through that door.
Ricky Rahne is the head coach at Old Dominion. Ricky Rahne is not walking through that door.
Jim Knowles is a top assistant at Ohio State. Jim Knowles is not walking through that door.
Kent Austin is on staff at Auburn. Kent Austin is not walking through that door.

I like the idea of a D3 guy that can build a program and train someone to take over. The school might not want a stepping stone coach but I wouldn't mind one that puts himself in a position to be poached.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 02:34PM by ugarte.

Date: November 21, 2023 02:40PM

I agree and probably wishful thinking. Although I don't think we need a DIII coach that requires on the job training. We need an experienced head coach who can recruit and develop a winning program.

Date: November 21, 2023 02:42PM

Local Motion
I agree and probably wishful thinking. Although I don't think we need a DIII coach that requires on the job training. We need an experienced head coach who can recruit and develop a winning program.
I agree, i mean get a successful D3 head coach who brings in a good staff so when he leaves for greener pastures he has mentored someone up to step in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 02:43PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Weder (136.226.53.---)
Date: November 21, 2023 02:45PM

Swampy
The parts that caught my eye are:
  • "appreciates the size of the Department and the role of Football at the University"
  • "Can deliver a compelling vision for the program's future while managing within budget"

With regard to the first, do they mean "below average size" or does "role of Football (why capitalize?) at the University," refer to football's post-1970 role as doormat?

With regard to the second, can "doormat dictated by minimal resources" satisfy the "compelling vision ... within budget" requirement?

The Ivies have the largest athletic departments in the country in terms of number of varsity teams, along with a handful of the Pac-12 and Big Ten schools.

Date: November 21, 2023 03:12PM

Local Motion

Extremely doubtful a new head coach retains either coordinator, that's pretty remote and I haven't been impressed with Backus's defenses since he's been here. Lazor has been pretty far removed from college football and making more than Cornell could afford, not a good fit. If you're looking for a Cornell alumnus, the logical choice would be Ricky Rahne at Old Dominion, but he's making about $850k annually, so again not likely.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: November 21, 2023 03:35PM

ugarte
I like the idea of a D3 guy that can build a program and train someone to take over. The school might not want a stepping stone coach but I wouldn't mind one that puts himself in a position to be poached.
Just rinse and repeat every 3 years.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2023 03:47PM

ugarte
Local Motion
I agree, i mean get a successful D3 head coach who brings in a good staff so when he leaves for greener pastures he has mentored someone up to step in.

Not just successful, but someone at DII or DIII who has won championships. They know the game. They know how to recruit. They know how to get the best out of their players. They make the right calls under intense pressure. That's the proof.

And they have to be able to lift 50 pounds.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 03:49PM by mike1960.

Date: November 21, 2023 05:54PM

ugarte
We're describing Al Bagnoli of D3 Union after a half-dozen assistant coach years then in 10 as Union HC he made the playoffs 6X, 2X to the title game, then Penn moved him up. So we know 30 years later that that route worked for another Ivy.

Tim Murphy of Harvard did not by his record look like he'd be the winningest current Ivy coach: 9 years as assistant, 2 HC years at Maine with a 15-8 record, then a 17-37-1 5-year losing record at Cincinnati, but that last year was 8-3-1. Then Harvard at age 37.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2023 05:56PM

Not in favor of Swanstrom for various reasons. Anyhow he is rumored to be the coach in waiting at Penn when Priore steps down.

Date: November 21, 2023 09:02PM

rss77
Not in favor of Swanstrom for various reasons. Anyhow he is rumored to be the coach in waiting at Penn when Priore steps down.

I'm curious what reasons?

Date: November 21, 2023 10:41PM

"Coaching experience at an Ivy League or other highly academically selective institution strongly preferred."

I wonder how much weight they give to this. Certainly it helps to have some experience recruiting the type of players that Ivy League schools target. I suppose they would look at other Ivy League school assistants like Mickey Fein the OC at Harvard or Yale's Chris Ostrowsky.

Date: November 22, 2023 03:33PM

Jake Novak has some possible big names listed on the potential candidates for the Columbia opening. Ricky Santos the current head coach at University of New Hampshire, and even Dan Mullen the former head coach at Mississippi State and Florida.

Posted by: CAS (104.28.55.---)
Date: November 22, 2023 04:04PM

How bout George Santos to the Lions?

Date: November 22, 2023 04:19PM

CAS

:-D. Nice one.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2023 11:52PM

Ken711
CAS

He actually was the Offensive Coordinator for the New England Patriots from 2015 - 2017.

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: November 24, 2023 12:41AM

Swampy
Ken711
CAS

He actually was the Offensive Coordinator for the New England Patriots from 2015 - 2017.

And he won't be interested in the opening at Columbia, as he's already coached them to an Ivy League title. innocent

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2023 03:42PM

Chris H82
Swampy
Ken711
CAS

And he won't be interested in the opening at Columbia, as he's already coached them to an Ivy League title. innocent

While he was on the faculty of Columbia's physics department.

Date: November 27, 2023 05:05PM

The same search firm Cornell is using, Parker Executive Search, has been hired to assist with the Duke head football opening since Duke's HC left for Texas A & M,

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2023 02:36PM

Re-Ag School comment-Apparently Bob Blackman had the same idea. I attended a meeting where then Ag School Dean, Keith Kennedy, gave a talk. He said that Blackman approached him about using the Ag School to bring in football players. Kennedy said he literally threw him out of his office.

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2023 03:24PM

rss77
Re-Ag School comment-Apparently Bob Blackman had the same idea. I attended a meeting where then Ag School Dean, Keith Kennedy, gave a talk. He said that Blackman approached him about using the Ag School to bring in football players. Kennedy said he literally threw him out of his office.

Any coach who is recruiting in New York will use the Ag School. And ILR and Human Ecology. With no athletic scholarships, lower in-state tuition is an advantage. Of course, every pre-med student in NY will be applying to Biology, Dyson admits less than 5% of applicants and other in-state majors and programs are also extremely competitive so the days of assuming all Aggies are dumb farmers and Hum Eccies are women looking for husbands are long gone.

Date: November 28, 2023 03:35PM

rss77

Blackman: Great success at Dartmouth, not much at Cornell.

Date: November 28, 2023 04:09PM

dag14
rss77

Any coach who is recruiting in New York will use the Ag School. And ILR and Human Ecology. With no athletic scholarships, lower in-state tuition is an advantage.
Sure, but that's not the implication of the request. The request was "can we use the ag school to bring in hayseed lunkheads to major in farming" when the school is a world-class agricultural research center developing important practical applications.

Date: November 28, 2023 04:45PM

ugarte
The request was "can we use the ag school to bring in hayseed lunkheads to major in farming" when the school is a world-class agricultural research center developing important practical applications.
It is possible to have a crust of top-notch students atop a cake of very stupid ones. Large Midwestern University comes to mind. K-State has some of the brightest students in the world.

7 of them.

The rest are the common clay of the new West.

I'm sure our Ag school has brilliant undergrads.

7 of them.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2023 04:48PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 30, 2023 10:43AM

The request was "can we use the ag school to bring in hayseed lunkheads to major in farming" when the school is a world-class agricultural research center developing important practical applications.

As someone who grew up in agriculture and attended CALS, I take huge offense to your comment regarding "Hayseed lunkheads to major in farming". That is such an ignorant statement. Just to back it up our so called family farm today is a billion dollar operation that provides one of the largest fruit and vegetable distributions to nearly all the major grocery chains and food service operations in the United States. In addition, we have been major contributors to CALS for many years. OK while students at Cornell were doing internships on Wall Street, I was working in the fields and busting my A.............but it's still a real business venture. One of my fellow CALS friends runs one of the largest Kosher dairy operations for New York City. Where do you think our students get their Kosher milk, cheese, and yogurt???? Unbelievable.......

Date: November 30, 2023 11:43AM

Local Motion

As someone who grew up in agriculture and attended CALS, I take huge offense to your comment regarding "Hayseed lunkheads to major in farming". That is such an ignorant statement. Just to back it up our so called family farm today is a billion dollar operation that provides one of the largest fruit and vegetable distributions to nearly all the major grocery chains and food service operations in the United States. In addition, we have been major contributors to CALS for many years. OK while students at Cornell were doing internships on Wall Street, I was working in the fields and busting my A.............but it's still a real business venture. One of my fellow CALS friends runs one of the largest Kosher dairy operations for New York City. Where do you think our students get their Kosher milk, cheese, and yogurt???? Unbelievable.......
you are not doing a great job making your case! The COACH wanted to bring hayseed lunkheads to take gut courses at a school that is at the vanguard of agricultural science, so the school told him to fuck off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2023 11:43AM by ugarte.

Date: November 30, 2023 08:46PM

The comment is noted..............but the post is directed toward farmers and agriculture in general. A very ignorant statement.

Date: December 01, 2023 01:25AM

Local Motion
The comment is noted..............but the post is directed toward farmers and agriculture in general. A very ignorant statement.
it was directed at a stereotype not at actual farmers

Date: December 01, 2023 09:49AM

Is anyone actually taking this seriously? It's not a work?

Date: December 01, 2023 09:58AM

Trotsky
he knows that i'm actually martha pollack

Date: December 01, 2023 10:15AM

Four New York State FCS football head coach openings currently, with the Marist head coach retiring. Cornell, Columbia, Stony Brook and now Marist.

Date: December 01, 2023 11:24AM

Ken711
Four New York State FCS football head coach openings currently, with the Marist head coach retiring. Cornell, Columbia, Stony Brook and now Marist.

Make that 3 now. Jake on his blog says Jon Poppe the current Union College HC will be named the new Columbia HC on Sunday. Bringing Princeton WR coach Brian Flinn with him as his OC.

Date: December 01, 2023 03:28PM

ugarte
Trotsky
he knows that i'm actually martha pollack
Pics or GTFO.

Date: December 01, 2023 03:29PM

Ken711
Ken711

Make that 3 now. Jake on his blog says Jon Poppe the current Union College HC will be named the new Columbia HC on Sunday. Bringing Princeton WR coach Brian Flinn with him as his OC.
Let's steal RPI's coach and become a national power.

Date: December 01, 2023 03:55PM

Trotsky
Ken711
Ken711

Let's steal RPI's coach and become a national power.

I get the joke. But getting a D3 or D2 head coach from a more successful program is actually a great idea for Cornell. They need a head coach that understands and has experienced what it takes to be a winner.

Date: December 01, 2023 04:28PM

Unless we can find the football Schafer, I think about the only way we can get good coaching is to be a step on the ladder for an ascending coach. Take D-2 phenoms, lose them in 3 years to an FBS school, and repeat.

I assume every year there are guys available from D-2 who have led their schools to a few seasons of > .750 ball. That's where to look, and don't insist on loyalty. Make sure some of their staff continues to transition the kids they recruit in the later seasons to the new guy's regime.

A quick review from the above link:
 Pct Yr
.815  5 Ernie McCook, Shepherd*
.800  6 Rich Wright, NW Missouri State
.786  3 Brian Wright, Pittsburg State
.786  3 Jeff Girsch, Angelo State

* Shepherd has a weirdly great theatre program.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 11:54PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 01, 2023 04:35PM

Trotsky
Unless we can find the football Schafer, I think about the only way we can get good coaching is to be a step on the ladder for an ascending coach. Take D-2 phenoms, lose them in 3 years to an FBS school, and repeat.

I assume every year there are guys available from D-2 who have led their schools to a few seasons of > .750 ball. That's where to look, and don't insist on loyalty. Make sure some of their staff continues to transition the kids they recruit in the later seasons to the new guy's regime.

A quick review from the above link:
Pct  Yr
.815  5 Ernie McCook, Shepherd*
.800  6 Rich Wright, NW Missouri State
.786  3 Brian Wright, Pittsburg State
.786  3 Jeff Girsch, Angelo State

I agree. I would gladly take a D2 or D3 coach that has built a successful program. We'll see what direction Cornell takes.

Date: December 01, 2023 05:06PM

Trotsky

If McCook's hiring also included a little theater production at each halftime, I'm all for it.

Date: December 02, 2023 11:39AM

It feels as if new Ivy coaches who aren't successful are moved on inside of a half-dozen years (with exceptions) or else they do well and stay well over a decade: Bagnoli until recently, currently five others – Priore (Penn, 9 years), Surace (Princeton, 14), Reno (Yale, 12), Murphy (Harvard, 30) – are longstanding. Also all came from the Northeastern colleges and only Surace was a student at the school he now coaches. So this could be a long-term hire if we do it right.

Date: December 02, 2023 12:15PM

billhoward
It feels as if new Ivy coaches who aren't successful are moved on inside of a half-dozen years (with exceptions) or else they do well and stay well over a decade: Bagnoli until recently, currently five others – Priore (Penn, 9 years), Surace (Princeton, 14), Reno (Yale, 12), Murphy (Harvard, 30) – are longstanding. Also all came from the Northeastern colleges and only Surace was a student at the school he now coaches. So this could be a long-term hire if we do it right.

Cornell did the "long-term" with Archer. I hope they'll be successful and win at Cornell first and foremost, then we can worry about the long-term aspect.

Date: December 02, 2023 05:48PM

Ken711
billhoward

Cornell did the "long-term" with Archer. I hope they'll be successful and win at Cornell first and foremost, then we can worry about the long-term aspect.
Archer
Exception proves rule

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: December 07, 2023 11:08AM

[www.instagram.com]

Swanstrom is the guy. Penn OC and IC HC prior.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: December 07, 2023 12:12PM

That didn't take long! They must have had in mind for a while.

Date: December 07, 2023 08:09PM

dbilmes
That didn't take long! They must have had in mind for a while.

Have to move quickly, so as to minimize disruption to recruiting. But Swanstrom's a natural fit. I expect the interest was mutual right off the bat.

Edit: Football Scoop reports that Yale co-DC Jay Anderson was a finalist as well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 08:39PM by tycho.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: January 17, 2024 10:51AM

Opening at Harvard: [www.cbssports.com]

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 17, 2024 12:31PM

Chris '03
Opening at Harvard: [www.cbssports.com]

“Murphy, 67, took over the Crimson football program prior to the 1994 season at a time when Harvard had not won more than eight games in a season since 1919.

While true, prior to 1980, Ivy teams only played nine games, and before 1940 only eight, unless they played in a bowl game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2024 12:31PM by George64.

Date: January 18, 2024 09:23PM

Interesting.

Miami tight end Cam McCormick said Thursday that he is coming back for a ninth season of college football.

He is believed to be the first with a ninth season granted by the NCAA. McCormick’s career was derailed multiple times by season-ending injuries, some of which earned him a medical redshirt from the NCAA, and all players who participated in college athletics in 2020 got another year of eligibility because of the pandemic.

McCormick spent the first seven of his college seasons at Oregon, transferred to Miami for the 2023 season and will keep playing in 2024.

East Tennessee State said former linebacker Jared Folks was the NCAA’s first eighth-year player when he played for the Bucs in 2021. There have been multiple athletes with seven years of college eligibility, including Isis Young — a women’s basketball player who appeared for Florida, Fordham, Syracuse and Siena over her seven seasons and decided against getting an eighth year.

OTHER NEWS

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: January 19, 2024 08:10AM

Trotsky
Interesting.

Miami tight end Cam McCormick said Thursday that he is coming back for a ninth season of college football.

He is believed to be the first with a ninth season granted by the NCAA. McCormick’s career was derailed multiple times by season-ending injuries, some of which earned him a medical redshirt from the NCAA, and all players who participated in college athletics in 2020 got another year of eligibility because of the pandemic.

McCormick spent the first seven of his college seasons at Oregon, transferred to Miami for the 2023 season and will keep playing in 2024.

East Tennessee State said former linebacker Jared Folks was the NCAA’s first eighth-year player when he played for the Bucs in 2021. There have been multiple athletes with seven years of college eligibility, including Isis Young — a women’s basketball player who appeared for Florida, Fordham, Syracuse and Siena over her seven seasons and decided against getting an eighth year.

OTHER NEWS
I'm surprised the Q men's hockey team hasn't had any of these yet.

Date: January 19, 2024 09:05AM

Colgate will play Syracuse in 2025.

Date: January 19, 2024 10:40AM

dbilmes
Trotsky
Interesting.

I'm surprised the Q men's hockey team hasn't had any of these yet.

Rand brings graduating seniors back as freshmen with new names.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2024 10:41AM by Trotsky.

Date: January 22, 2024 08:02PM

Lot of people taking six, eight years to graduate college back when there was a Vietnam war on, in the era of the student draft deferments that kept you from getting your ass shot off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login