Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lacrosse Final Four 2023

Posted by dbilmes 
Lacrosse Final Four 2023
Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: May 24, 2023 04:25PM

Who are we rooting for? Or rooting against? Or do we just not care? Meanwhile, two Princeton middies have transferred to Syracuse for next season. They were both seniors this season.

Re: Lacrosse Final Four 2023
Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: May 24, 2023 04:37PM

I guess Virginia is the least despicable, but it's pretty much an ISIS beauty pageant.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2023 04:41PM

don't even know who is playing if they haven't already been mentioned in the thread

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-212.myvzw.com)
Date: May 24, 2023 07:05PM

No love for tambroni?

Date: May 25, 2023 09:52AM

arugula
No love for tambroni?
Pedo State can burn in hell for eternity. I'd root for Liberty over them.

Date: May 25, 2023 09:54AM

ugarte
don't even know who is playing if they haven't already been mentioned in the thread

Saturday, May 27: No. 1 Duke vs. No. 5 Penn State 12:00 ET

Saturday, May 27: No. 2 Virginia vs. No. 3 Notre Dame 2:30 ET

Monday, May 29: NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship Game

Date: May 25, 2023 12:07PM

Trotsky
ugarte

what's this about

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: May 26, 2023 10:00AM

Trotsky
ugarte

Wow, I look at this and have the same reaction that I did when I looked at the teams left in the Stanley Cup playoffs. You’d have to drag me to watch it.

I guess I don’t particularly hate UVa, save for the historical hatred of the traditional entitled southern lax powers.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2023 10:35AM

RichH
Trotsky
ugarte

Wow, I look at this and have the same reaction that I did when I looked at the teams left in the Stanley Cup playoffs. You’d have to drag me to watch it.

I guess I don’t particularly hate UVa, save for the historical hatred of the traditional entitled southern lax powers.

Same feelings here.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: May 26, 2023 07:25PM

scoop85
RichH
Trotsky
ugarte

Same feelings here.

And here.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2023 08:32PM

Duke 16 Penn State 15 (ot)
Notre Dame 13 Virginia 12 (ot)

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwyynyx1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: May 27, 2023 10:15PM

2 teams wishing OT was not sudden death. Too much weight to the team with the better FOGO.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.lndngbr1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: May 28, 2023 02:21AM

billhoward
2 teams wishing OT was not sudden death. Too much weight to the team with the better FOGO.
Ridiculous OT format for a sport where a goal every 2-2.5 minutes is the norm.

Posted by: Swampy (43.225.189.---)
Date: May 28, 2023 05:27PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward

Agree, but the problem is how to make 2, 3, 4, or more OT periods more unlikely.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: May 28, 2023 10:48PM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio
billhoward

Agree, but the problem is how to make 2, 3, 4, or more OT periods more unlikely.

Team 1 is given possession (based on a coin toss - no faceoff). If they score, team 2 gets possession. If team 2 also scores, start again. If team 2 doesn't score, game over. Team 1 wins.

If Team 1 doesn't score on their first possession, they must have turned it over somehow. So team 2 by definition has possession. If they then score, they win. If they don't score, team 1 must have possession again and the game then continues until someone scores.

It's a bit clumsy I admit, but at least gives both teams a chance of possession and takes the FOGO out of the equation.

Date: May 29, 2023 12:40AM

if you don't want to lose on a faceoff get a better fogo. sudden death in lax makes perfect sense to me.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2023 02:21PM

ugarte
if you don't want to lose on a faceoff get a better fogo. sudden death in lax makes perfect sense to me.

Well, in Cornell v Michigan our FOGO won the faceoff and ran unimpeded towards the goal. He took a shot, which Michigan's GK saved. Then, at the other end, a 1st-year defender was caught taking his eyes off the man he was marking, and Michigan scored.

This was certainly fair, in the sense both teams had a chance to win. OTOH, it was hardly representative of the game, or even the previous 60 seconds when besides winning the faceoff, we had previously hit a pipe.

Date: May 29, 2023 04:00PM

Swampy
ugarte

Well, in Cornell v Michigan our FOGO won the faceoff and ran unimpeded towards the goal. He took a shot, which Michigan's GK saved. Then, at the other end, a 1st-year defender was caught taking his eyes off the man he was marking, and Michigan scored.

This was certainly fair, in the sense both teams had a chance to win. OTOH, it was hardly representative of the game, or even the previous 60 seconds when besides winning the faceoff, we had previously hit a pipe.
so we won on sklansky goals. run of play can make a game interesting and is worth noting for predictive value but WHO CARES! we don't play the games to figure out the best team we play them to determine the WINNER.

Posted by: Swampy (43.225.189.---)
Date: May 30, 2023 11:22AM

ugarte
Swampy
ugarte

so we won on sklansky goals. run of play can make a game interesting and is worth noting for predictive value but WHO CARES! we don't play the games to figure out the best team we play them to determine the WINNER.

Right, but we're discussing what's the best way to determine a winner. In the NBA they play five-minute OT's until there's a decisive winner. By what criteria would doing something similar in lacrosse be inferior to the current, sudden death/victory rule?

Date: May 30, 2023 02:03PM

Swampy
ugarte
Swampy
ugarte

Right, but we're discussing what's the best way to determine a winner. In the NBA they play five-minute OT's until there's a decisive winner. By what criteria would doing something similar in lacrosse be inferior to the current, sudden death/victory rule?
there is nothing that makes one preferable to the other besides personal preference. the rules are not reflective of some ideal principle of fairness, they are reflective of being the rules of the game. tiebreaker rules are rarely changed to reflect fairness, they are changed to reflect something exogenous to fairness having to do with the marketability of the game.

The NFL changed it's rules because there was a real fairness issue to "calling the coin toss" added to the dissatisfaction of a team winning with a good return and a field goal. A faceoff is a lacrosse play. If you win it, you can win the game "fairly." The NBA has OT because the scoring is *so* frequent that sudden death is aesthetically unsatisfying but it wouldn't be unfair. Soccer is a little schizo about golden goals because of a century of tradition and a comfort level with ties that is entirely unheard of in American culture but even they eventually bowed to the gospel of the shootout.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login