Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell football 2023

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Cornell football 2023
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2023 12:57PM

CORNELL 2023 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE 
Sep 16	@Lehigh
Sep 23	@Yale
Sep 30	Colgate 2:00 (Cornell homecoming)
Oct 07  @Harvard Friday 7 pm 
Oct 14	Bucknell 1 pm
Oct 21	Brown 1 pm 
Oct 28	Princeton 1 pm 
Nov 04 	@Penn 1 pm
Nov 11	@Dartmouth 1:30 
Nov 18 	Columbia 1 pm
No times formally set even though Cornell has them penciled in, at the least.

Away 3 of the first 4. At home 4 of the last 6. Columbia game happens just a week before the odd-years-since-2007 date for Red Hot Hockey vs. BU at MSG; no problem for the players (different teams) but hard to organize alumni-club events when the two are adjacent.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2023 04:18PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell football 2023
Date: January 11, 2023 01:02PM

Cornell's schedule doesn't show any Friday night games. There has been a package of (mostly Friday) night games going back for about a decade, at least, per the NYT, which notes the night games get better attendance than afternoon games. Brown and Yale had to put in temporary lights; Harvard got lights in 2007.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: January 11, 2023 03:00PM

I don't get a vote, oddly enough, but it bugs me Homecoming isn't an Ivy game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2023 03:00PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2023 03:26PM

Trotsky

Don't even barely get me started. Athletics would combust if they had to schedule Homecoming as late as October 21, no matter that it's one of the most beautiful times of the year in Ithaca and often finally the appropriate weather for football. No, no—let's schedule Homecoming for when it's still hot and muggy! (And more likely to rain.)

And then there's the rescheduling of Spring Break some years ago… Values, people!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: January 11, 2023 03:31PM

I'm sure Day Hall ran the numbers and mid-September optimizes the curve where they can squeeze money out of befuddled Class of '62s up from Tribeca.

Date: January 11, 2023 04:04PM

I thought it meant your team came home the week after playing a road game. Or after the longest trip of the year, which in 2023 would make it the final game. If you want it against an Ivy opponent, a) odds are more likely than against a non-Ivy you're gonna lose, and this year that would be Brown Oct. 21 if not the Sept. 30 game that is Homecoming.

At Cornell, you want it before the frost has killed off the vegetables. And when the odds still favor it being warm enough for students unlike some alumni to show off their tanned, still-taut skin with shorts and sleeveless shirts.

It's a Tribal thing, too: Assuming more of the earlier games were at home, Rosh Hashanah, Sept. 15-17, knocks off the Lehigh weekend, which is game one and also away. Yom Kippur starts sundown Sunday of the Yale game, but that game's at Yale. So it's Sept. 30, although it's in the middle of Sukkot.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2023 04:21PM

appreciate all those words bill but what i'd say instead is "what a weird thing to have any opinion about at all"

Date: January 11, 2023 05:18PM

Thank you. So much politer than you saying, "Just how much time do you have on your hands?"

I do think about the hassle of ending the football season at Columbia then seven days later playing BU in hockey at the Garden in the odd years (2021, 20213, etc.) It's hard to pull together back to back class events and sometimes even classes of the 70s, 80s, 90s, etcetera.

Date: January 11, 2023 05:36PM

billhoward
Thank you. So much politer than you saying, "Just how much time do you have on your hands?"

I do think about the hassle of ending the football season at Columbia then seven days later playing BU in hockey at the Garden in the odd years (2021, 20213, etc.) It's hard to pull together back to back class events and sometimes even classes of the 70s, 80s, 90s, etcetera.
i mostly liked the columbia game earlier because it was more likely to be a nice day

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2023 06:15PM

billhoward
At Cornell, you want it before the frost has killed off the vegetables.
Don't exaggerate. Johnson has heat.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 12, 2023 09:08PM

Trotsky

That was my first year. I think it was...Bucknell

Date: January 18, 2023 12:46PM

I haven't done the research to know if the game will be streaming in the US, but Cornell is sending five players to Tokyo to play in the Dream Bowl. The Dream Bowl is an exhibition game between Ivy seniors and grad students vs. the Japan All-Stars. The game is on Saturday at 11 EST.

Date: January 19, 2023 07:13PM

ugarte
I haven't done the research to know if the game will be streaming in the US, but Cornell is sending five players to Tokyo to play in the Dream Bowl. The Dream Bowl is an exhibition game between Ivy seniors and grad students vs. the Japan All-Stars. The game is on Saturday at 11 EST.
Cornell has 5 players. Columbia has 15. League champion Yale has 2. There are Yale players boycotting so they don't incur a major injury before the draft?

Date: January 20, 2023 10:17PM

ugarte
clarification: 11pm. but still not streaming so i don't know that it matters unless you were going to check for updates.

Re: Cornell football 2023 - Princeton non-recruit
Date: February 06, 2023 06:04PM

Son of Princeton coach Bob Surace – the Princeton football player alum who arrived on scene ~same time as Cornell football player alum David Archer, had similar so-so early years, righted ship, then (divergence from Cornell's path) Ivy titles 2013, 2016, 2018 (10-0), 2021: His quarterback son AJ HS '24, top-20 NJ player as a junior (a big thing, top 20 in NJ), has committed to Rutgers. A Princeton friend says there's more football upside, better NIL money, new Rutgers ass't coach is a friend of Surace père et fils. So that makes Princeton a tad bit easier to beat two falls from now.

Story: [rutgers.rivals.com]

Also:
NJ.com (paywall)
Greg Schiano secures Rutgers’ next quarterback of the future: A.J. Surace, son of an Ivy League coach

Greg Schiano [Rutgers coach, second time around] has found his next quarterback of the future, and he’s the son of an Ivy League head coach.

A 6-2, 205-pound junior with an accurate arm, timing, leadership qualities and a thickly built lower half [something they wouldn't say about a Rutgers field hockey recruit, Notre Dame high school junior A.J. Surace checks most of the proverbial boxes required to play quarterback. And he will keep his talents home, in New Jersey, the state he knows best. Surace announced his commitment on Twitter on Sunday afternoon.

Date: June 06, 2023 04:18PM

Don't see a better place to post this and don't remember seeing it elsewhere. Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens was hit by a pickup while riding his bike and had to have a leg amputated. Horrible story though the narrative does not make it sound like the driver was primarily at fault.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.241.---)
Date: June 06, 2023 09:57PM

ugarte
Don't see a better place to post this and don't remember seeing it elsewhere. Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens was hit by a pickup while riding his bike and had to have a leg amputated. Horrible story though the narrative does not make it sound like the driver was primarily at fault.

Horrible indeed. And the spinal cord injury could be worse than the leg amputation. But I want to point out that the narrative from the article does not have enough information to really say who was responsible for the incident. It seems common for a police report to point out circumstances blaming the cyclist and omit those blaming the driver. Comments such as he was "not in a crosswalk or designated crossing area" or "he was not wearing a helmet" (neither is illegal or uncommon in most areas) or "no illuminated lights observed on the bicycle" may be true but may be irrelevant and certainly seem to be a bit biased. Where are the statements about the speed of the pickup truck relative to the speed limit and circumstances? Was there an attempt to avoid the cyclist as evidenced by skid marks or was the driver inattentive? Was the lack of illumination a result of the collision? Was there sufficient lighting anyway? Was it a congested area where the driver should have been driving appropriately slowly?

Not trying to pick on what you said and you are probably right. But it seems like standard operating procedure to try to excuse a driver of an automobile of any responsibility as a default.

Date: June 07, 2023 11:05AM

Roy 82
ugarte

Horrible indeed. And the spinal cord injury could be worse than the leg amputation. But I want to point out that the narrative from the article does not have enough information to really say who was responsible for the incident. It seems common for a police report to point out circumstances blaming the cyclist and omit those blaming the driver. Comments such as he was "not in a crosswalk or designated crossing area" or "he was not wearing a helmet" (neither is illegal or uncommon in most areas) or "no illuminated lights observed on the bicycle" may be true but may be irrelevant and certainly seem to be a bit biased. Where are the statements about the speed of the pickup truck relative to the speed limit and circumstances? Was there an attempt to avoid the cyclist as evidenced by skid marks or was the driver inattentive? Was the lack of illumination a result of the collision? Was there sufficient lighting anyway? Was it a congested area where the driver should have been driving appropriately slowly?

Not trying to pick on what you said and you are probably right. But it seems like standard operating procedure to try to excuse a driver of an automobile of any responsibility as a default.
completely agreed on all of this

Date: June 07, 2023 12:25PM

Police reports always cite multiple causes of crash and injuries: excessive speed, weather, condition of vehicle, seat belts worn, worn tires, cloudy headlamp covers, alcohol, drugs. Allows safety experts to say half of all fatalities are drug / alcohol-related, lets somebody else say badly maintained highways/signage are a causal factor.

Some now-dead driver who blows a 0.09% BAC is legally drunk but was it was also raining, his headlamps weren't very good, it was an unfamiliar road with a sharp curve, the lanes were not well marked (Florida paints lanes like every 6 months, some states might do them every 5 years), the sign indicating sharp curve ahead had weathered and should have been replaced, and he was doing 65 on a 55 local highway. And he was unbelted. I'd say with all these causal factors, it was not being drunk that led to the accident and lack of a safety belt that killed him.

Too bad about Teevens getting hit while biking. Had a work friend, avid cyclist, killed by a car twenty years ago. Note the news story says there was no light observed on the bicycle and he wasn't in a crosswalk, that is, pointing to multiple factors. The AP also wasn't able to get a crash report (public document) out of the Florida Highway Patrol.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2023 02:26PM

I looked at the Athletic Department’s giving page today - with a week left in the fiscal year, football is at 52 percent of its funding goal! Compare that to women’s ice hockey (100%), wrestling (99%), sprint football (155%), rowing (98%) . . . Apparently, people are trying to send a message to AD Moore through their wallets!

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2023 04:15PM

George64
I looked at the Athletic Department’s giving page today - with a week left in the fiscal year, football is at 52 percent of its funding goal! Compare that to women’s ice hockey (100%), wrestling (99%), sprint football (155%), rowing (98%) . . . Apparently, people are trying to send a message to AD Moore through their wallets!

The Big Red are entering their 10th season under head coach David Archer, who has a 26-64 overall record at the school (17-45 Ivy League). Enough said...

Posted by: mike1960 (94.140.9.---)
Date: June 24, 2023 01:46AM

Ken711
George64

The Big Red are entering their 10th season under head coach David Archer, who has a 26-64 overall record at the school (17-45 Ivy League). Enough said...

Ouch.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-204.myvzw.com)
Date: June 24, 2023 01:43PM

mike1960
Ken711
George64

Ouch.

Is there anyway that we could easily know if Archer has the record for the worst Ivy win percentage over 9 seasons? Maybe some poor sap at Columbia might have him beat.

Posted by: nyc94 (32.215.192.---)
Date: June 24, 2023 03:02PM

marty
mike1960
Ken711
George64

Ouch.

Is there anyway that we could easily know if Archer has the record for the worst Ivy win percentage over 9 seasons? Maybe some poor sap at Columbia might have him beat.

Brown was the doormat in the 1960s. Looks worse than Archer over any choice of nine year sample from 1959 to 1972.

[ivyleague.com]

edit: The longest Brown kept the same head coach in that span was eight years. John McLaughry 17–51–3 (.261) overall, 8–46–2 (.161) Ivy (1959-1966)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Archer .289 overall, .270 Ivy

Aldo Donelli, Columbia, 11 seasons (1957-1967) - 30–67–2 (.313) overall, 21–54–2 (.286) Ivy

Ray Tellier, Columbia 14 seasons (1989-2002) - 42–96–2 (.307) overall, 28-70 (.286) Ivy
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2023 05:41PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2023 03:47PM

marty
mike1960
Ken711
George64

Ouch.

No Ivy League head coach has led his team this long with such an overall losing record. If the new AD doesn't make a change after this season, unless Cornell finishes with a winning record, something is seriously wrong.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: June 25, 2023 05:49PM

perhaps money is driving this bus

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-205.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2023 06:33PM

upprdeck

The bus seems to be powered by an 80's era GM 8-6-4 V8 that Andy tried to convert to a diesel.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2023 08:47PM

marty
upprdeck

The bus seems to be powered by an 80's era GM 8-6-4 V8 that Andy tried to convert to a diesel.

I think he sold the V8 and tried to replace it with a straight 6.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: August 08, 2023 08:04AM

This press release sums up the expectations for the Archer years. As long as we finish higher in the standings than was predicted, the season will be a success. If Cornell finishes in 6th place in the Ivies, we can consider it another successful season! Our opening Ivy opponent, Yale, received 13 of 16 first-place votes.
"The Big Red football team will be in position to prove the experts wrong - again.

Cornell was picked to finish seventh in the 2023 Ivy League Football Preseason Media Poll that was announced today. The Big Red will kick off the new campaign with its sights set on having a much bigger impact on the league standings when it visits Lehigh on Saturday, Sept. 16 at 2 p.m. in Bethlehem, Pa. Cornell opens Ivy League play the following weekend at Yale, then opens its home season on Saturday, Sept. 30 against Colgate at Schoellkopf Field for Homecoming.

The Big Red has surpassed its preseason predicted finish in seven of the past eight seasons, including in 2022 when it was picked to place eighth only to tie for sixth."

Posted by: George64 (---.cust-5.exponential-e.net)
Date: August 08, 2023 08:36AM

dbilmes
This press release sums up the expectations for the Archer years. As long as we finish higher in the standings than was predicted, the season will be a success. If Cornell finishes in 6th place in the Ivies, we can consider it another successful season! Our opening Ivy opponent, Yale, received 13 of 16 first-place votes.
"The Big Red football team will be in position to prove the experts wrong - again.

Cornell was picked to finish seventh in the 2023 Ivy League Football Preseason Media Poll that was announced today. The Big Red will kick off the new campaign with its sights set on having a much bigger impact on the league standings when it visits Lehigh on Saturday, Sept. 16 at 2 p.m. in Bethlehem, Pa. Cornell opens Ivy League play the following weekend at Yale, then opens its home season on Saturday, Sept. 30 against Colgate at Schoellkopf Field for Homecoming.

The Big Red has surpassed its preseason predicted finish in seven of the past eight seasons, including in 2022 when it was picked to place eighth only to tie for sixth."

Our home game against Brown will be critical!

Posted by: CAS (146.75.245.---)
Date: August 08, 2023 08:45AM

Lehigh website has the Cornell kickoff at noon (not 2:00).

Posted by: Swampy (43.225.189.---)
Date: August 08, 2023 11:24AM

CAS

Hey, if the team arrives late, it will have a good excuse for losing.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: August 08, 2023 08:07PM

CAS

So does the Cornell website.

Date: August 08, 2023 08:21PM

dbilmes

Cornell spin doctors have to work overtime to put a positive spin on Cornell's predicted season finish. (Hopefully Archer's last!)

Posted by: mike1960 (185.203.219.---)
Date: August 09, 2023 12:56PM

Ken711
dbilmes

Cornell spin doctors have to work overtime to put a positive spin on Cornell's predicted season finish. (Hopefully Archer's last!)

"The Big Red has surpassed its preseason predicted finish in seven of the past eight seasons, including in 2022 when it was picked to place eighth only to tie for sixth."

This is the saddest sports-related thing I've read in a long, long time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2023 12:57PM by mike1960.

Date: August 11, 2023 09:24PM

For those of us who chose the profession of journalism / communication, it's fascinating to see the skills one on the PR side must employ to put a better face on reality. For a couple years there was the hed "Ivy Coaches Tab Cornell for Eighth." Now this.

I wish Cornell football well. Jameson Wang is exciting to watch and he's picked Second Team All-Ivy. And we have one player on the first team, senior linebacker Jake Stebbins. [cornellbigred.com]

And Cornell puts on a fab homecoming weekend pre-game party. 2 pm versus Colgate. A winnable game.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: September 10, 2023 09:09PM

Wang in LA Times:
[www.latimes.com]

Date: September 12, 2023 09:32AM

Chris '03
Wang in LA Times:
[www.latimes.com]
The usual blah-blah-blah about "no scholarships but oh that sheepskin" and this ... ah ... incredible photo that is sooooo Ithaca. Go, Jameson!!!

Re: Cornell football 2023 @ Lehigh 9/16
Date: September 14, 2023 12:05PM

Cornell football at Lehigh, 12 noon. Lehigh is 1-1 with a home loss to Villanova to 38-12 and a 14-12 win at Merrimack. This is the Cornell season opener and the Big Red goes in unbeaten. playpics-com has Cornell a 1.5-point favorite.

Ivy teams first week:
#5 (in the playoff, smaller school side of D1) Holy Cross at Yale, noon
Cornell at Lehigh, noon
Columbia at Lafayette, 12:30
Penn at Colgate, 1:00
St. Thomas (who?) at Harvard, 1:00
Brown at Bryant, 4:00
Princeton at San Diego, 4:00
Dartmouth at #11 New Hampshire, 6:00
All on ESPN+ except Dartmouth, FloFootball

Yale is the pre-season favorite with 13 of 14 first-place votes in the media poll (Princeton gets the other one, and Cornell is placed 7th, behind Dartmouth, ahead of Brown). Were Yale to beat UNH and UNH have an otherwise excellent season, more people will wonder why football is the lone Ivy NCAA sport where the players can't take part in playoffs.

Well-read Lehigh fans will be forgiven for chanting, in Cornell's direction, "Safety School." The 2024 WSJ ranking of 400 top universities/colleges (out of ~3000 four-year schools) has Lehigh No. 14, Cornell No. 24. (Brown is worse, at 67.) The Journal upended its methodologies for this year and made the ratings attributable to outcomes attributable to the educational process after factoring out things like family income, quality of HS education; and factoring odds of graduating on time and on improvement in salaries after graduation. [www.wsj.com]

All Ivy teams will wear BT helmet decals ... in honor of Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens, injured in March in a bicycle accident and lost his leg. Sammy McCorkle, a Dartmouth assistant the past 18 years, is the interim coach.

[edit add: Teevens died Tuesday, 9/19/23. He was injured in a car-bicycle accident March 16 on Route A1A in St. Augustine.]
BT helmet: [dartmouthsports.com]
Obituary via Dartmouth: [home.dartmouth.edu]
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2023 05:19PM by billhoward.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-55.myvzw.com)
Date: September 14, 2023 02:28PM

billhoward
Cornell football at Lehigh, 12 noon. Lehigh is 1-1 with a home loss to Villanova to 38-12 and a 14-12 win at Merrimack. This is the Cornell season opener and the Big Red goes in unbeaten. playpics-com has Cornell a 1.5-point favorite.

Ivy teams first week:
#5 (in the playoff, smaller school side of D1) Holy Cross at Yale, noon
Cornell at Lehigh, noon
Columbia at Lafayette, 12:30
Penn at Colgate, 1:00
Brown at Bryant, 4:00
Princeton at San Diego, 4:00
Dartmouth at #11 New Hampshire, 6:00
All on ESPN+ except Dartmouth, FloFootball

Yale is the pre-season favorite with 13 of 14 first-place votes in the media poll (Princeton gets the other one, and Cornell is placed 7th, behind Dartmouth, ahead of Brown). Were Yale to beat UNH and UNH have an otherwise excellent season, more people will wonder why football is the lone Ivy NCAA sport where the players can't take part in playoffs.

Well-read Lehigh fans will be forgiven for chanting, in Cornell's direction, "Safety School." The 2024 WSJ ranking of 400 top universities/colleges (out of ~3000 four-year schools) has Lehigh No. 14, Cornell No. 24. (Brown is worse, at 67.) The Journal upended its methodologies for this year and made the ratings attributable to outcomes attributable to the educational process after factoring out things like family income, quality of HS education; and factoring odds of graduating on time and on improvement in salaries after graduation. [www.wsj.com]

All Ivy teams will wear BT helmet decals (for Buddy Teevens, not for Bluetooth connectivity, which was my first thought seeing the photo and headline) in honor of Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens, injured in March in a bicycle accident and lost his leg. Sammy McCorkle, a Dartmouth assistant the past 18 years, is the interim coach. [dartmouthsports.com]

I thought the BT was a box to be accepted into the B1G league. ;-)

Posted by: Scersk '97 (107.77.106.---)
Date: September 16, 2023 08:11AM

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME PUNTING!!!

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: September 16, 2023 08:53AM

Scersk '97

This reminds me of the Tim Pendergast era. When the offense was on the field and facing third down, the sideline would yell "punt team!" Coaches included.

Talk about having confidence in your offense....

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: September 16, 2023 11:02AM

Chris '03
Scersk '97

This reminds me of the Tim Pendergast era. When the offense was on the field and facing third down, the sideline would yell "punt team!" Coaches included.

Quick kick! No one ever sees it coming!

Unironically, since punting is actually the second most important strategic element in football behind run offense/defense, I am surprised we don’t see more third down quick kicks. Seems to be the analytic analogue to the new emphasis on going for it on fourth.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.55.---)
Date: September 16, 2023 11:25AM

Scersk '97
Chris '03
Scersk '97

Unironically, since punting is actually the second most important strategic element in football behind run offense/defense, I am surprised we don’t see more third down quick kicks. Seems to be the analytic analogue to the new emphasis on going for it on fourth.

Oh, they didn't quick kick. They just wanted to be ready to take the field after the inevitable failed third down.

Date: September 16, 2023 11:50AM

All QBs should be able to drop kick, change my mind.

Date: September 16, 2023 11:55AM

Our ESPN roster shows 13 WR and 6 PK. Semper paratus.

Date: September 16, 2023 12:04PM

Are these throwbacks?

Date: September 16, 2023 12:07PM

Oh, I know. I haven’t had confidence in this team on third down either since Joyce was playing. I was just opining on the utility of quick kicks.

Date: September 16, 2023 12:34PM

12 minutes in we look distinctly not shitty.

Date: September 16, 2023 12:36PM

Wang after 12 minutes: 6/7, 156 yards, 2 TD.

Who are these guys?

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2023 12:37PM

Good thought Greg. The font on the numerals goes back to the 80's, so different than last year's kit. Upper sleeve looks different, bot numerals on the shoulders instead of upper arm stops them from being throwbacks, I think

Date: September 16, 2023 12:40PM

billhoward

Per ESPN, it is the same St. Thomas (MN) from D-1 hockey.

Date: September 16, 2023 12:40PM

TimV
Good thought Greg. The font on the numerals goes back to the 80's, so different than last year's kit. Upper sleeve looks different, bot numerals on the shoulders instead of upper arm stops them from being throwbacks, I think
I like them. They are delightfully primative.

Date: September 16, 2023 12:44PM

Total yards in Q1: 184-12.

The only flaw is we have been penalty prone, otherwise a perfect quarter.

Who are these guys?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2023 12:56PM

When the back who sets up nine yards from scrimmage runs Cornell gets nothing...same as last year. Run out of the shotgun.

Date: September 16, 2023 12:59PM

We can't kick. Yardage now 214-12. Wang 10/12 188 and 16 yards rushing. TOP: 17-5.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:02PM

Al DeFlorio
When the back who sets up nine yards from scrimmage runs Cornell gets nothing...same as last year. Run out of the shotgun.
Luckily, the Lehigh offensive doctrine is to run directly into the largest pile of Cornell DLs they can find.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:10PM

We can kick. 17-0. 1stD 11-0. TOP: 22-7. Total Yards: 261-20.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2023 01:11PM

Al DeFlorio

Our RBs seem to all tippy toe at the line of scrimmage. Need to see them run with more assertiveness.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:20PM

Trotsky
Kicking off out of bounds. How do you miss a 50+ yards wide field?

Date: September 16, 2023 01:21PM

17-7 at the half.

We took a fair catch at the 4 on the kick off and it came out to the 25. The fuck is that?

Being that this is Cornell football, after looking totally inept all half, Lehigh moves down the field without any seeming resistance and scores to make it 17-7. They get the ball to start the 2nd half. We had every opportunity to put more points on the board, which may come back to bite us.

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Kicking off out of bounds. How do you miss a 50+ yards wide field?
The Lehigh KR tried his very best to pin them on the 2.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:22PM

Trotsky
17-7 at the half.

We took a fair catch at the 4 on the kick off and it came out to the 25. The fuck is that?

Yeah, Kiser’s our best weapon. I’m guessing he was told to do that, with is par for the course with our coaching decisions.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:23PM

No, what I mean is since when does a fair catch at the 4 come out to the 25?

Also, that Contraception ad is great. I can't believe we finally learned how to do messaging after 40 years of utter incompetence.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:58PM

Trotsky

Also, that Contraception ad is great. I can't believe we finally learned how to do messaging after 40 years of utter incompetence.

The fair catch on the KO has been a thing for a few years

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2023 02:00PM

Trotsky

The fair catch rule has been in place for a while in college, and the NFL just adopted it this year. A fair catch anywhere inside the 25 on a kickoff is a touchback.

Date: September 16, 2023 02:04PM

4th and inches, so give it to the back who starts eight yards away from the first down mark. Play-caller is a moron. Reverting to form this half.

Date: September 16, 2023 02:17PM

Can't do dick inside the 10.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-246.myvzw.com)
Date: September 16, 2023 02:18PM

Straight qb sneak from a yard and a half out similarly dumb. Must have some counter action Can’t simply dive ahead.

Date: September 16, 2023 02:28PM

What happened to first quarter passing game?

Lehigh's strength is run defense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2023 02:30PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: September 16, 2023 02:34PM

Another OB kickoff. WTF?

Date: September 16, 2023 03:15PM

The Cornell “prevent” defense has not been preventing much all day. That was the problem at the end of the first half too.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-204-131.myvzw.com)
Date: September 16, 2023 03:19PM

Really tried to lose that. Lehigh is dreadful. Going to New Haven next week. Not expecting much but the pizza will be good.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: September 16, 2023 03:19PM

Trotsky
Wang after 12 minutes: 6/7, 156 yards, 2 TD.

Who are these guys?

Am I going to have to search for a “They are who we THOUGHT they were” GIF?

Date: September 16, 2023 04:37PM

Weder
Trotsky

The fair catch rule has been in place for a while in college, and the NFL just adopted it this year. A fair catch anywhere inside the 25 on a kickoff is a touchback.
Tells you how much football I have watched lately.

Date: September 16, 2023 04:44PM

Just got home from the game.

When we blitzed, and it wasn't often, we put some decent heat on the Lehigh QB. When we dropped back in a prevent defense, we gave him all day to find receivers in the seams. Which he did.

One other thing I noticed: Whenever we ran any kind of screen, toss, or sweep it went to the short side. Always.

Usually we opened every drive with an attempt to run right up the middle. Once we tried a long bomb, that unfortunately went incomplete. So we tried to run up the middle on second down instead. Ugh.

I was sitting near the Wang family. Joe Wang (Jameson's dad) said that Archer goes strictly by analytics. With the ball on the 1 and one of the best running QB's in the NCAA, Joe said that Archer was still only going to do what the computer tells him to do. Fortunately it told him to go for it. Unfortunately, it didn't tell him to do anything besides a plain old obvious QB sneak.

I said it a bunch of times during the game: I hate Archer.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2023 04:48PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: September 16, 2023 06:18PM

Running backs gained 23 yards on 19 carries.

Date: September 16, 2023 08:23PM

Al DeFlorio

That says it all, doesn't it?

Date: September 16, 2023 08:31PM

Al DeFlorio
if archer is an analytics guy someone needs to update the OS on his computer

Date: September 16, 2023 10:19PM

You can’t go by the analytics most of the time. It worked today.

Date: September 16, 2023 10:34PM

Gorgeous game day. Perfect weather. 4100 showed up.

Wang’s season is already longer than Aaron Rodgers. But he’s going to wear out if Wang is the QB and leading rusher.

Still it’s a W.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2023 12:09AM

Scersk '97
Chris '03
Scersk '97

I think you were barely teenager during the Sumida/Dase era, but I'm pretty sure both quarterbacks quick kicked on occasion during the 1987 season.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2023 12:13AM

Chris '03
Scersk '97
Chris '03
Scersk '97

Oh, they didn't quick kick. They just wanted to be ready to take the field after the inevitable failed third down.

When I was a kid, my dad went through a phase in Varsity Football where he would throw a long pass on every play outside his own 40, and if he started a drive inside the 40, he'd punt on first down. The sabermetrics must not have been with him, though, since I beat him pretty consistently while he was using that strategy.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: French Rage (104.129.202.---)
Date: September 17, 2023 01:12AM

Both of my schools (Cornell and Stanford) played FCS teams today. One of them won...

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: September 17, 2023 06:12AM

French Rage
Both of my schools (Cornell and Stanford) played FCS teams today. One of them won...

Sacramento State? Who the @#$% is Sacramento State?

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 17, 2023 10:36AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
French Rage

Sacramento State? Who the @#$% is Sacramento State?

I live in Big Sky Conference land (Montana), so I've heard of Sacramento State. They are a good team. And Stanford is not supposed to be a good team this year, so it's not much of an upset.

Ironically, the Ivy League is also a member in the Football Championship Series of the NC$$.

Date: September 17, 2023 11:27AM

Chris H82
I live in Big Sky Conference land (Montana), so I've heard of Sacramento State. They are a good team. And Stanford is not supposed to be a good team this year, so it's not much of an upset.
It is still a huge upset! "Bad for the Pac-12" should still blow the doors off of Sac State.

Posted by: Weder (104.28.76.---)
Date: September 17, 2023 02:26PM

ugarte
Chris H82
It is still a huge upset! "Bad for the Pac-12" should still blow the doors off of Sac State.

Speaking of the Big Sky, gotta love that Portland State has both an 81-7 loss (to Oregon) and a 91-0 win (over an NAIA team) this season.

Date: September 17, 2023 04:18PM

ugarte
Chris H82

This. Even in a bad year you should win your warm-up game (though maybe that was Hawaii). Especially when you pay them $600K to come bad beat you.

Date: September 17, 2023 04:20PM

Weder
ugarte
Chris H82

Speaking of the Big Sky, gotta love that Portland State has both an 81-7 loss (to Oregon) and a 91-0 win (over an NAIA team) this season.
I really want to see Oregon play that NAIA team now.

Is there such a thing as a pop-up university?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2023 04:23PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 17, 2023 06:58PM

Trotsky
Weder
ugarte
Chris H82

Give the guys behind Bishop Sycamore a few minutes.

Did an AI write this preview? [stallions.na.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2023 07:02PM by French Rage.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2023 08:07PM

French Rage
Trotsky
Weder
ugarte
Chris H82

Give the guys behind Bishop Sycamore a few minutes.

Did an AI write this preview? [stallions.na.edu]

Definitely did. “Fight over the pigskin”

Date: September 18, 2023 08:39PM

ugarte
Chris H82

Particularly "bad for this [the last] year's Pac-12," because the conference is otherwise a monster.

Date: September 19, 2023 09:35PM

Former Dartmouth head football coach Buddy Teevins died as a result of injuries he suffered in a bicycle accident over the summer.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-204-131.myvzw.com)
Date: September 19, 2023 11:55PM

Terrible news.

Posted by: Visitor (---.uvs.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2023 10:02PM

My wife and I are taking our first trip to Western New York and we want to attend the Cornell-Colgate football game. I understand it's homecoming. Anyone have any suggestions about parking, buying tickets, etc. What should we expect?

Re: Cornell football 2023 Homecoming 9/29
Date: September 22, 2023 11:50AM

You picked a good weekend: Cornell homecoming weekend. Great atmosphere for alumni, parents (if you are, give her a hug and let her get back to her friends, but you know that) and visitors.

Homecoming info and to register for free stuff like maybe T-shirts or hot dogs (food was free 10 years ago): [alumni.cornell.edu] You don't have to register.

* Friday ca. 8:30 pm fireworks at Schoellkopf (the football) field, can draw 15,000-plus
* Saturday 11-2 mega tailgate, tents for many classes, some decades, some grad schools, alumni segments. You can register for a food/drinks package in advance; some alumni just wander the various tents until someone offers them a beer or burger.
* Saturday 2 pm, Cornell vs. Colgate football, should be a close game, the teams seem evenly matched

Parking game day is available for fee or free. You may have to walk a bit for free parking but < 10 minutes.

There is lots to do around town if you're there Sunday including the Saturday-Sunday farmers market, Taughannock Falls and Buttermilk Falls. Fabulous restaurants in town and on Cayuga and nearby Seneca Lake, even better gorge at Watkins Glen (photo), wineries.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2023 12:04PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell football 2023 @ Yale 9/23/23
Date: September 22, 2023 01:33PM

Oh we of little faith:
Cornell (2-0)     0  3  14  6 -- 23
Yale    (0-2)    14  0   0  7 -- 21 
Wang 26x36 pass, 197 yards + 49 rush (34 net) 
Kennedy 3x3 FG 
Carothers 9 x 95 rush (long 29)  
Henderson 7 tackles 1 INT 

[Pre-game:] Cornell 1-0 at Yale 0-1, whose loss was to No. 6 (football championship subdivision) Holy Cross, 49-24. But Yale was picked on 12 of 13 first place votes for best Ivy team. Yale has returning player of the year, QB Nolan Grooms, and rookie of the year, RB Joshua Pitsenberger. 12 noon kickoff, 75% chance of rain at gametime, although this week's Tropical Storm (Lee) will pass east of Connecticut. Yale Bowl and the fields nearby have excellent tailgating but not with this weekend's weather. Daily Sun preview: [cornellsun.com]. Sun prediction: Yale 31-17. Last year it was 38-14, Yale.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2023 04:22PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: September 22, 2023 02:10PM

So this would appear to be one of those moral victory weekends. No chance on Ezra's Green Earth to win, so play our game, try to execute as well as we can, refine and learn lessons, and bank the experience for games later that we might stay in.

Hey, maybe we can be mid-pack and not backmarker. Either way this will be a double-digit loss, so, no pressure.

Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login