Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New athletic director Nicki Moore

Posted by billhoward 
New athletic director Nicki Moore
Posted by: billhoward (185.195.59.---)
Date: November 30, 2022 11:22AM

Nicki Webber Moore from Colgate

Ivies now have five female athletic directors. And not many more in their total history. Now Brown, Harvard, Penn, Yale. Soon Cornell (Jan. 17). Previously Columbia, Dartmouth. [edit add:] Mollie Marcoux Samaan, Princeton Class of 1991, was AD there 2014-2021 before heading off to the LPGA, so apparently Cornell is the last. But Andy Noel has been AD since 1998, I believe the longest-tenured Ivy AD when he stepped down.

[news.cornell.edu]
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2022 08:54PM by billhoward.

Re: New athletic director Nicki Moore
Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2022 11:53AM

billhoward
Nicki Webber Moore from Colgate

Ivies now have five female athletic directors. And not many more in their total history. Now Brown, Harvard, Penn, Yale. Soon Cornell (Jan. 17). Previously Columbia, Dartmouth.

[news.cornell.edu]

Let's see whether she makes any changes in the football program after next season.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: March 11, 2023 06:43AM

Besides turning around the football program, our new AD has plenty of other challenges. This column in The Sun by a student-athlete paints a depressing picture of Cornell's sports facilities and blasts the relocation of the baeball field from central campus.

"Collapsing pools. Broken and molding locker rooms. A legacy team being pushed from central campus.
These are just some of the milder complaints raised by Cornell student athletes when asked about their facilities. To many people in athletics, it’s become sort of a sick joke — Cornell continually underfunds its athletic facilities.
As Cornell announces new ambitious academic buildings, like the multimillion dollar Bowers CIS building, years of pent up frustration builds. Decades of inadequate maintenance and investment has put Cornell years behind its competitors — especially its Ivy League peers."

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 11, 2023 08:42AM

moving a baseball field that was lucky if 100 kids came to watch a game is that big a deal?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2023 09:24AM

It is still an academic institution, right? I mean, I know it's actually a real estate scam, but theoretically we still have a mission of education.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2023 10:00AM

dbilmes
Besides turning around the football program, our new AD has plenty of other challenges. This column in The Sun by a student-athlete paints a depressing picture of Cornell's sports facilities and blasts the relocation of the baeball field from central campus.

"Collapsing pools. Broken and molding locker rooms. A legacy team being pushed from central campus.
These are just some of the milder complaints raised by Cornell student athletes when asked about their facilities. To many people in athletics, it’s become sort of a sick joke — Cornell continually underfunds its athletic facilities.
As Cornell announces new ambitious academic buildings, like the multimillion dollar Bowers CIS building, years of pent up frustration builds. Decades of inadequate maintenance and investment has put Cornell years behind its competitors — especially its Ivy League peers."

What's the status of the campus indoor recreation and sports facility? $4 million was allocated for 2023 out of a projected total cost of $25 million. I assume that $4 million is for preliminary design work.

[cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2023 10:02AM by Ken711.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2023 10:16PM

I actually asked Andy about this project back in June or July and he said the cost of construction had increased to a degree that the project was not viable until the costs came back down

Date: March 12, 2023 08:58AM

Cop at Lynah
I actually asked Andy about this project back in June or July and he said the cost of construction had increased to a degree that the project was not viable until the costs came back down

I guess I don't understand how are the costs going to come down? Unless, perhaps they scale back the size of the project, construction costs are always going higher every year.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.217.---)
Date: March 12, 2023 11:30AM

Ken711
Cop at Lynah

I guess I don't understand how are the costs going to come down? Unless, perhaps they scale back the size of the project, construction costs are always going higher every year.

Exactly right given the inflation and interest rates, but he was AD, not VP of Finance or Capital Projects, or whatever titles Cornell uses. It's like asking a monkey what it feels like to fly

Posted by: CAS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 12, 2023 01:49PM

I would hope in the current capital campaign Cornell would prioritize raising the additional money necessary to fund the project’s higher cost. Building an indoor athletic facility is for the Greater Good of the campus.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2023 05:32PM

Ken711
Cop at Lynah

Aren't construction costs still greatly inflated from the pandemic? Iirc, Materials were very scarce not just because of logistics or regular supply levels, but because there was a large pent-up demand that got unleashed in the latter half.

If my memory is accurate on that then there is room for material costs to drop. Also, when new construction projects cool off, labor/contracting costs will drop as construction firms start needing more work.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2023 08:10PM

abmarks
Ken711
Cop at Lynah

Aren't construction costs still greatly inflated from the pandemic? Iirc, Materials were very scarce not just because of logistics or regular supply levels, but because there was a large pent-up demand that got unleashed in the latter half.

If my memory is accurate on that then there is room for material costs to drop. Also, when new construction projects cool off, labor/contracting costs will drop as construction firms start needing more work.

I think some material costs have dropped. Andy might be persona non grata here, but he was listening to others who are betting and hoping some of the costs will decrease.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2023 02:09PM

Construction costs go down? Maybe stabilized materials costs after Covid, but tradesman-wages are not going down.

Posted by: abmarks (107.115.17.---)
Date: March 15, 2023 04:45PM

billhoward
Construction costs go down? Maybe stabilized materials costs after Covid, but tradesman-wages are not going down.

Not at the moment, of course. But I'd expect total project bid prices to decrease when there's slack demand for construction. I don't know whether that's simply coming out of profit or from other areas like wages.

I don't know the answer to this question, perhaps others with knowledge know the answer.

During an economic slowdown where there's far too little construction demand to keep construction companies busy, do labor costs never actually go down? I'd think taking less per hour beats getting nothing. Or maybe union labor costs stay the same, but nonunion labor rates are.much more dynamic?

Date: March 27, 2023 05:30PM

Here's another challenge for Cornell's first woman to serve as athletic director.

Cornell is supposedly a progressive institution with a $9.8 billion endowment. Why should any members of our D1 women’s varsity sports teams have to train and live in school athletic apparel made for men?

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 06:05PM

dbilmes
Here's another challenge for Cornell's first woman to serve as athletic director.

Cornell is supposedly a progressive institution with a $9.8 billion endowment. Why should any members of our D1 women’s varsity sports teams have to train and live in school athletic apparel made for men?

This is an absurd situation. Embarrassing.

Date: March 27, 2023 06:16PM

Do they have a contract with a Vendor that sells womens size stuff?
Many of the contracts with these apparel people are based on sales volume.

One reason Duke/Michigan have more stuff you can but than even say Syracuse is because of the amount of Merch they sell. Gives them more power in producing sizes but also variety.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2023 06:18PM by upprdeck.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 06:25PM

upprdeck
Do they have a contract with a Vendor that sells womens size stuff?
If no, see abmarks, above.

This isn't about what's available for purchase by Cornell students, it's what's available for distribution to the athletes themselves. With the exception of football, there is a roughly similar student population participating in men's and women's varsity sports (at the very least, to stay Title IX compliant). If the discount requires a volume that requires buying all of it in men's sizes, I'd recommend forgoing the discount. The school can afford it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2023 06:26PM by ugarte.

Date: March 27, 2023 06:43PM

Its not volume of what you buy for the team. its volume of what your fans buy that drives the bus.

thats why I wonder who we use to make our Unis. It matters on the variety and control over what you can wear and get made. If you want home away and alternate and special and all that you need to show them its worth it.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.77.---)
Date: March 27, 2023 07:02PM

upprdeck
Its not volume of what you buy for the team. its volume of what your fans buy that drives the bus.

thats why I wonder who we use to make our Unis. It matters on the variety and control over what you can wear and get made. If you want home away and alternate and special and all that you need to show them its worth it.

If my kids' youth programs can get decent stuff made for any size or gender, I'm pretty confident Cornell can get whatever they want too. They just need to pay for it.

It has nothing to do with duke it Oregon or whomever being on the receiving end of a Nike free merch bonanza. It has to do with the university caring enough to buy stuff that fits for the athletes whose success they gladly fundraise off.

Date: March 27, 2023 07:08PM

how you buy clothes for kids to play sports is not the same as how you get unis for college teams..

teams get a deal with the various vendors and as part of that deal they get a cut rate on the things they can buy. But with that rate comes a loss of control as well.

There is no pay for it option in many cases.. Its why sometimes teams go years without an update in the uniforms they wear. Even if 2 teams have the same vendor they dont both always get the same choices in materials and styles.

Maybe Cornell got a great deal with the vendor and that deal was by the way we only will give you mens sizes? Who knows.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2023 07:30PM

dbilmes

{Insert biennial Beeeej commentary on how endowments actually work...and, scene.}

Not that Cornell shouldn't be spending the money on this particular thing, but unless there's a directed Athletics endowment fund for women's uniforms or uniforms in general, or Moore has a discretionary Athletics endowment big enough, the size of Cornell's overall endowment has nothing to do with Cornell's ability to spend the money on this particular thing.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2023 08:05PM

upprdeck
how you buy clothes for kids to play sports is not the same as how you get unis for college teams..

teams get a deal with the various vendors and as part of that deal they get a cut rate on the things they can buy. But with that rate comes a loss of control as well.

There is no pay for it option in many cases.. Its why sometimes teams go years without an update in the uniforms they wear. Even if 2 teams have the same vendor they dont both always get the same choices in materials and styles.

Maybe Cornell got a great deal with the vendor and that deal was by the way we only will give you mens sizes? Who knows.

Except the article was not complaining about uniforms. It was sweats, workout gear etc.

Date: March 27, 2023 08:09PM

it all comes out of the sane gear contracts.. Warmups, shirts, hats, etc

Date: March 27, 2023 08:31PM

upprdeck
it all comes out of the sane gear contracts.. Warmups, shirts, hats, etc
look, you may be right but i have no idea how you became so dedicated to the idea that there is an apparel company out there who would tell Cornell "under no circumstances will we manufacture, nor can you purchase, clothes tailored for women" or that there isn't an alternative company worth contracting with who would.

Date: March 27, 2023 08:47PM

I didnt say I did..

I said I know how it works for these contracts..

You normally sign multi yr deals for this stuff. I have talked with people who do this for other schools not for Cornell.. I said I dont know who they have a contract with.. I dont know what Cornells deal with who ever it is.. I do know other deals and what a pain they were to get out of and how restrictive they were.

Maybe Cornell has no deal at all and its just a money thing. Its been a long time since I had these discussions with anyone at Cornell on this stuff.

Date: March 28, 2023 12:05PM

Sounds like a problem that Cornell should have addressed a while back: in the 1970s when Title IX and equal opportunities for women was codified in the 1970s. It should take about five minutes in 2023 for athletics leadership to pass down the word, "Fix this," and if there's a contract the sweatpants supplier doesn't want to break, suggest they can look like heroes by shifting their clothing supplies to keep all athletes happy. Or live with the reputation of producing ill-fitting clothes.

The letter-writer can take advantage of the safety of her undergraduate years to use a potentially confrontational forum -- a newspaper -- for change. In the corporate world, going public is a good way to be looking for another job come your next review. Or did it get this bad, that a letter to the Daily Sun was the only way to get Cornell's attention?

It could have been worse: instead of a letter in The Sun, a TikTok showing how bad the existing sweats look on Cornell women athletes. Maybe a soccer or lacrosse player in practice on a breakaway, one hand holding up the sagging sweatpants.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2023 12:21PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.217.---)
Date: March 28, 2023 12:46PM

I made a quip about athletic procurement with the whole ticket fiasco a few weeks ago, but now I really wonder about the competence or concern of whoever is running procurement for the athletics function/unit.

Date: March 28, 2023 01:43PM

I think we have brought it up before. Athletics has issues that extend way beyond what normal people can see and this is just another example.

Ticketing
Golf course
Funding
Facilites/stadium issues
The Practice facility, the sprint facility, Lynah issues, rowing, baseball, the football stadium etc
Now clothing.

tons of issues

Date: March 28, 2023 03:27PM

None of these issues are going away anytime soon.

The golf course project has been delayed (non money issues) but I'm almost positive that it will be finished within the next couple years.

The Schoellkopf stadium situation is a joke. $60,000 tarp to cover areas that can't be used due to crumbing concrete. No movement on the westside of the field. Press Box needs work to.

The new baseball (Boothe) field is in the best spot because they get a brand new facility and new amenities because the University desperately needed the Hoy Field land

Date: March 28, 2023 04:16PM

Princeton is putting in some new minor-sport (ie soccer / field hockey vs say football) mini stadiums that are way nicer than the, what's our name, Berman Field out at the end of upper alumni field. If you can't give Ivy athletes scholarships, you can make things better by hiring the best coaches, give them fabulous facilities, and find them summer internships.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: March 28, 2023 04:25PM

upprdeck
I think we have brought it up before. Athletics has issues that extend way beyond what normal people can see and this is just another example.

Ticketing
Golf course
Funding
Facilites/stadium issues
The Practice facility, the sprint facility, Lynah issues, rowing, baseball, the football stadium etc
Now clothing.

tons of issues

At least Andy took care of wrestling.

Date: March 28, 2023 04:34PM

Chris '03
priorities (not ironic)

Posted by: Weder (165.225.9.---)
Date: March 28, 2023 04:42PM

The answer is almost certainly no, but would the university ever consider building a much smaller football stadium? During covid, they've held multiple graduation ceremonies to keep crowd sizes down, and this has the added benefit of allowing students to invite as many people as they want to see the ceremony instead of scrambling to get more than the allotted 4 (or whatever it was) in the pre-pandemic days of one large ceremony.

Posted by: RichH (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: March 28, 2023 06:12PM

Chris '03
upprdeck

Ticketing
Golf course
Funding
Facilites/stadium issues
Now clothing.

tons of issues

If you can’t say something nice…

[wikipedia.org]

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2023 12:29AM

What happened to the golf course?

Date: March 29, 2023 10:17AM

Have you played the golf course in the last 5-10 yrs

Other than the greens, fairways, bunkers, trees, tee boxes, concessions, benches, fences its going great

Though they did get new carts
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2023 10:19AM by upprdeck.

Date: March 29, 2023 12:47PM

CU2007
What happened to the golf course?
In the eyes of many golf aficionados, one of the finest college-affiliated golf courses – designed by Robert Trent Jones '30 and opened in 1941 (9 holes; 18 holes in 1954) – has been allowed to go downhill in terms of the course itself, the clubhouse, food & beverage, yada yada. And critics see the facility, home to the men's and women's golf teams, as a proxy for how far Cornell sports has sunk. That and designed-for-men sweatpants that don't fit Cornell female athletes. Notwithstanding the the wrestling team's NCAA third place finish, the hockey and lacrosse teams, and the overperforming (per historical standards) basketball team, and etcetera.

The greens fees, $50 weekdays/$70 weekends for alumni, $30 for a golf cart, are pretty affordable.

Some of the improvements may need to come from the largess of alumni. As I understand it, alumni underwrote expansion from 9 to 18 holes and for the Moakley House (the clubhouse).

I like to think the golf facility is immune from Cornell expansion of dorms, research buildings, etcetera. But you never know.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2023 12:25AM

upprdeck
Have you played the golf course in the last 5-10 yrs

Other than the greens, fairways, bunkers, trees, tee boxes, concessions, benches, fences its going great

Though they did get new carts

I have not, but that’s sad to hear.

Date: March 31, 2023 07:59PM

I've been a member at RTJ Golf course since the mid 90's. Let's be fair about the current conditions at the course. The fairways are just fine. The greens are excellent. The bunkers are unplayable as is, but they are in the process of removing a bunch of them and rebuilding the ones that remain, so hopefully within the next couple years they will be up to par. They have removed a shit load of tree's from the property to make the layout more open and better for the health of the turf. There is also a major drainage project that is scheduled to start soon which will only help the long term health of the course.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2023 09:50AM

I assume that most of you are on Nicki Moore’s email list, but if not, here’s the link to Big Red Threads, a new weekly newsletter —

[sway.office.com]

Date: February 19, 2024 12:28PM

A name to watch as Missouri now begins a search for an AD. Nicki Moore. She's currently Athletic Director at Cornell, but oversaw football and other North Carolina sports in a deputy role, and was also at Oklahoma. MU grad who ran track in the late 1990s.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 19, 2024 12:46PM

Ken711
A name to watch as Missouri now begins a search for an AD. Nicki Moore. She's currently Athletic Director at Cornell, but oversaw football and other North Carolina sports in a deputy role, and was also at Oklahoma. MU grad who ran track in the late 1990s.

A jump to the SEC would be big.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 19, 2024 01:00PM

Nooooo! I think she’s been terrific!

Note to Ryan Lombardi - She communicates well! She’s made us aware that there’s more to Cornell athletics than just hockey, lacrosse and wrestling. Give her a big raise! And while you’re at it, give Brian Earl one, too!

Date: February 19, 2024 01:08PM

i would not be surprised if the SEC would be paying 5-10x as much as cornell.

Date: February 19, 2024 01:20PM

upprdeck
i would not be surprised if the SEC would be paying 5-10x as much as cornell.

Yes, you're not going to be anywhere in the same ballpark salary wise. Hope she sticks around, but being a graduate of Missouri probably has some pull.

Date: February 19, 2024 05:30PM

I believed in two career paths for Nicki Moore:
* Here at Cornell for 5 years and then on to something SEC, Big Ten big. Every university needs to have a female head athletic director now or within the next decade and Moore appears to have the skills to be an AD just about anywhere. With only a handful of SEC / Big Ten good-old-boy alumni griping it was gender that got her the job. P
* Here at Cornell for the rest of her career.
Now the third possibility:
* Her alma mater wants her back. It's kind of impolite to bail after just a year in a new job, maybe two for a major new job, but for your alma mater, that'd be exception.

About the numbers:

Columbia Daily Tribune, Jaden Lewis
On its website, Arizona announced that, pending approval by the school's Board of Regents, Reed-Francois will get a five-year contract at Arizona, where she received her law degree. Her deal at Arizona, as reported by The Athletic, starts with an annual base salary of $1 million, with an additional $250,000 contribution from the university's foundation and other opportunities for incentives based on the Wildcats' success in athletics and academics.

The [Arizona] contract has a base salary elevator to $1.2 million in the fifth year. Reed-Francois is scheduled to begin with Arizona on March 3.

"Leaving behind such an amazing fan base is not easy [blah blah blah] I carry with me cherished memories [blah blah blah] It has been an honor and a privilege to serve ...."

At Missouri, Reed-Francois received a contract extension in April 2023, which paid her a total of $1.25 million annually in base salary ($900,000) and non-salary compensation ($350,000).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2024 05:32PM by billhoward.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 22, 2024 07:56AM

billhoward
Every university needs to have a female head athletic director now or within the next decade

Why?

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-211.myvzw.com)
Date: February 22, 2024 09:35AM

CU2007
billhoward
Every university needs to have a female head athletic director now or within the next decade

Why?
He's being glib

Posted by: billhoward (155.133.4.---)
Date: February 27, 2024 11:51AM

ugarte
CU2007
billhoward
Why?
He's being glib
Exactly so.

Even if it's not in university trustee bylaws, every school has to come to grips with not having had a female president, athletic director, dean of students, etcetera, and there's implied pressure to not be, say, the last Ivy school to hire a woman.

It looks as if Nicki Moore may be the best-qualified person for the Cornell AD job, not the best-qualified woman, based on what's filtering out of Colgate and their regrets they only had her for five years.

Posted by: Local Motion (192.34.178.---)
Date: March 01, 2024 10:55AM

So far I have been very impressed by Nicki Moore and she has a bright future on the East Hill. The Cornell AD position is a great job at a major university without the overwhelming pressure of a Power 5 Conference. Ithaca is a beautiful college town and nice for families, so we hope she is enjoying her job at Cornell. Go Big Red!

Date: March 01, 2024 11:35AM

Local Motion
So far I have been very impressed by Nicki Moore and she has a bright future on the East Hill. The Cornell AD position is a great job at a major university without the overwhelming pressure of a Power 5 Conference. Ithaca is a beautiful college town and nice for families, so we hope she is enjoying her job at Cornell. Go Big Red!
You can tell she is doing a good job because she hasn't come in to a lot of criticism on this listserv!

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2024 11:41AM

If Nicki leaves, Cornell should make Martha Pollack the next AD.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 01, 2024 01:06PM

Local Motion

She’s been terrific! I like that she communicates regularly with us alumni, even when not asking for money. Speaking of money, she should get a raise and a contract extension.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 01, 2024 01:33PM

dbilmes
Local Motion
You can tell she is doing a good job because she hasn't come in to a lot of criticism on this listserv!

Nothing did more to make Moore look good than two decades of Andy Noel.

Date: March 04, 2024 11:40AM

Chris '03
Unfounded and uncalled for. Presumes that Cornell sports suffered more under the previous AD than in years previous. Basketball got to the Sweet Sixteen under Noel, lacrosse has been to multiple final fours, women's ane men's hockey are thriving, wrestling is perennial top ten, soccer is doing well. This year's successes came from Noel's years at the helm.

Fairer comments would be:
* The greatest disparity of men's versus women's titles in the Ivy League belonged to Cornell. This is Daily Princetonian data and goes back to the Ivy League founding in 1956, so responsibility for that record also falls to Bob Kane '34, Bob Kane '34, Dick Schultz, Michael Slive, Laing Kennedy '63, Charlies Moore '52, and Noel.
* Football has always been a weak point, never an unshared Ivy League title.
* A decade with Cornell's losingest football coach went on too long. Noel had the decency to not fire then hire a football coach in the year before retiring and have Moore stuck with that choice.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2024 11:59AM

billhoward
Chris '03
Unfounded and uncalled for. Presumes that Cornell sports suffered more under the previous AD than in years previous. Basketball got to the Sweet Sixteen under Noel, lacrosse has been to multiple final fours, women's ane men's hockey are thriving, wrestling is perennial top ten, soccer is doing well. This year's successes came from Noel's years at the helm.

* The greatest disparity of men's versus women's titles in the Ivy League belonged to Cornell. This is Daily Princetonian data and goes back to the Ivy League founding in 1956, so responsibility for that record also falls to Bob Kane '34, Bob Kane '34, Dick Schultz, Michael Slive, Laing Kennedy '63, Charlies Moore '52, and Noel.
* A decade with Cornell's losingest football coach went on too long. Noel had the decency to not fire then hire a football coach in the year before retiring and have Moore stuck with that choice.
When a school has like 40 different varsity sports, it’s going to perform well in some of them. Evaluating Noel calls for a more holistic evaluation. Also, hockey and lacrosse were already the marquee Cornell sports before Noel arrived.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: March 04, 2024 12:35PM

billhoward
Chris '03

Unfounded and uncalled for? Here's my perception. Andy was an unpleasant person. He cared about wrestling and sometimes only that. He liked to insert himself into lacrosse huddles. The department came across as amateur hour compared to other schools. He saw students as a nuisance. He gladly threw Cornell students under the bus whenever convenient.

Moore, by contrast, seems to care about building a community and culture that doesn't treat students as a problem to be dealt with. And in a short time has created a cohesive communication style and presence that is actually professional.

She inherited lacrosse and hockey success just like Andy did. But the image she presents to the outside is so much better than Andy's. And I'd bet that it makes some impact on recruiting across sports.

So yes. Andy being someone I find distasteful does make Moore look great. In other words, nothing made her look good quite like two decades of Andy.

Posted by: CAS (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 04, 2024 12:57PM

Football was not always a weak point before Andy. In the 11 years before Andy became AD, we had 6 winning seasons. During Andy’s tenure, we had only 2 winning seasons in 23 years! (including his first year as AD).

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2024 08:19PM

Chris '03
billhoward
Chris '03

Unfounded and uncalled for? Here's my perception. Andy was an unpleasant person. He cared about wrestling and sometimes only that. He liked to insert himself into lacrosse huddles. The department came across as amateur hour compared to other schools. He saw students as a nuisance. He gladly threw Cornell students under the bus whenever convenient.

Moore, by contrast, seems to care about building a community and culture that doesn't treat students as a problem to be dealt with. And in a short time has created a cohesive communication style and presence that is actually professional.

She inherited lacrosse and hockey success just like Andy did. But the image she presents to the outside is so much better than Andy's. And I'd bet that it makes some impact on recruiting across sports.

So yes. Andy being someone I find distasteful does make Moore look great. In other words, nothing made her look good quite like two decades of Andy.

I can't be certain that it was directly her call, but I do also have to note — during her first summer in charge, Athletics retired "Huggy Bear," which had been the official logo for two decades.

Date: March 05, 2024 09:47PM

i never hated huggy bear

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 05, 2024 10:19PM

ugarte
i never hated huggy bear

Yeah, I don't see the hate for that logo either. It's very distinct

Posted by: Scersk '97 (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 06, 2024 05:38PM

Iceberg
ugarte
i never hated huggy bear

It reeked “just like every other mid-2000s cartoon logo”… for 20 years!

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 06, 2024 06:01PM

Scersk '97
Iceberg
ugarte
i never hated huggy bear

Fine but two things. We seem to be bare of bears. We don't have PO'd bear nor hugggy. And two, huggy bear swag isn't on clearance, yet.

He may be a lame bear but he's our lame bear and I'll snatch up hats and shirts if I can get them at half price or less.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 06, 2024 06:06PM

marty
Scersk '97
Iceberg
ugarte
i never hated huggy bear

Fine but two things. We seem to be bare of bears. We don't have PO'd bear nor hugggy. And two, huggy bear swag isn't on clearance, yet.

He may be a lame bear but he's our lame bear and I'll snatch up hats and shirts if I can get them at half price or less.

Dang straight.

Date: March 06, 2024 06:06PM

Huggy bear was garbage. It's not our bear; it's an inconsequential marketing gimmick from a period that was singularly soulless.

This is our bear:

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: March 06, 2024 09:15PM

One thing I heard was that they dropped Huggy Bear because people thought it was "too aggressive."

Not sure Snarky Bear will be revived if people don't like aggressive logos.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 06, 2024 10:32PM

Trotsky
Huggy bear was garbage. It's not our bear; it's an inconsequential marketing gimmick from a period that was singularly soulless.

This is our bear:

When I started Cornell in 1964, I brought a bear sweatshirt home for my younger brother, who was nine. He really liked the bear, as I think most kids would. So, there's lots to be said for animalistic insignia.

OTOH, my brother wound up going to Yale. So the sweatshirt wasn't enough to keep him on track.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-50.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2024 09:11AM

Swampy
Trotsky

This is our bear:

When I started Cornell in 1964, I brought a bear sweatshirt home for my younger brother, who was nine. He really liked the bear, as I think most kids would. So, there's lots to be said for animalistic insignia.

OTOH, my brother wound up going to Yale. So the sweatshirt wasn't enough to keep him on track.

Some might think we ripped off "Handsome Dan" when PO'd bear was designed. But I don't know which PO'd stance came first.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2024 10:43AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
One thing I heard was that they dropped Huggy Bear because people thought it was "too aggressive."

I’ve always called him “Skeptical Bear”. I try to encourage my daughter, soon to be a Cornell grad herself, to always have at least one garment with him on it.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 22, 2024 08:29PM

To put any speculation to rest, Missouri is finalizing a deal to make Laird Veatch their new AD

Posted by: billhoward (155.133.4.---)
Date: April 22, 2024 10:22PM

Cop at Lynah
To put any speculation to rest, Missouri is finalizing a deal to make Laird Veatch their new AD
Laird Veatch has been athletic director ("Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics" ) at Memphis for five years; Kansas State grad, played football.

Posted by: Robb (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 24, 2024 02:26PM

JasonN95
Jeff Hopkins '82

I’ve always called him “Skeptical Bear”. I try to encourage my daughter, soon to be a Cornell grad herself, to always have at least one garment with him on it.
”Grumpy Bear” for me. And no other sticker shall ever adorn my vehicles. A bit insider - if you know, you know.

Only the Mona Lisa has had more emotions read into her countenance.

Date: April 24, 2024 11:46PM

I've always thought that bear looks like it just got its ass kicked, and I enjoy that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login