Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's Soccer 2022

Posted by mountainred 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Men's Soccer 2022
Posted by: mountainred (50.110.16.---)
Date: September 03, 2022 07:18AM

Soccer team opens the season with a 2-1 win at Cal Santa Barbara. That looks to be a quality win, the Gauchos (love that nickname) received votes in the last top 25 vote, enough to be an informal 28th. Cornell had more shots and SOG.

Re: Men's Soccer 2022
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2022 09:05AM

mountainred
Soccer team opens the season with a 2-1 win at Cal Santa Barbara. That looks to be a quality win, the Gauchos (love that nickname) received votes in the last top 25 vote, enough to be an informal 28th. Cornell had more shots and SOG.

It was a terrific opening game for us. UCSB is really good, especially offensively, and Cornell was a bit the better team. Even though last year’s starting goalie was back, Coach Smith started Freshman Ryan Friedberg in net, and Friedberg made 3 fantastic saves, including one off a corner that was as good as it gets. Sophomore Alina Ka, who was excellent as a freshman, looks like he’s further elevated his game and was dominant whenever he had the ball. Ka scored the 1st Cornell goal, and freshman Dakota Jonke scored the game winner off a nice feed from Kisa Kiingi just after UCSB had tied it late in the 1st half.

Next game is Monday at UC Irvine Monday at 5 p.m. ET. It will be on ESPN+
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2022 09:06AM by scoop85.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-141.myvzw.com)
Date: September 03, 2022 02:00PM

Wait a second. A road trip to California in the third week of classes?! Wtf

Posted by: dag14 (98.38.249.---)
Date: September 03, 2022 03:13PM

The Athletic Department monitors the number of class days missed for athletic contests and travel. The hockey team leaves on Thurs day for weekend away games all season long so why can't the soccer team do it once in a while? There are no classes Labor Day so being away Monday doesn't count against them.

When and where else is the soccer supposed to play non-conference games against quality competition? Unlike hockey, they don't have a span of several weeks with no classes in which to schedule away games.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2022 07:08PM

arugula
we did this last year too. CSUN was one game but I don't remember the other.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-136.myvzw.com)
Date: September 04, 2022 11:02PM

A bus ride to the north country or Albany is a little less burdensome than a flight to California

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-136.myvzw.com)
Date: September 04, 2022 11:05PM

dag14
The Athletic Department monitors the number of class days missed for athletic contests and travel. The hockey team leaves on Thurs day for weekend away games all season long so why can't the soccer team do it once in a while? There are no classes Labor Day so being away Monday doesn't count against them.

When and where else is the soccer supposed to play non-conference games against quality competition? Unlike hockey, they don't have a span of several weeks with no classes in which to schedule away games.

Where else can they find competition? Really? Syracuse, Boston, the DC area, the New York area, Connecticut, literally dozens of D1 schools within driving distance.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2022 09:22AM

arugula

Our head coach got his masters degree from Cal State Bakersfield and coached at Stanford. Our associate head coach is a Stanford grad. Maybe they got homesick for California? Or maybe it’s a prime recruiting ground?

Date: September 05, 2022 10:32AM

George64
arugula

Our head coach got his masters degree from Cal State Bakersfield and coached at Stanford. Our associate head coach is a Stanford grad. Maybe they got homesick for California? Or maybe it’s a prime recruiting ground?

We've gotten several players fom California the past few years so I'm sure recruiting is part of the motivation

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: September 05, 2022 10:47AM

I saw a photo on Instagram of the team swimming in the Pacific Ocean. I'm sure trips like this help recruiting, just like I'm sure Schafer used to play up the team going to Florida at the end of December every year for the Estero tournament.

Date: September 05, 2022 09:25PM

The team's controversial (at least on ELynah) California trip concluded with a 1-0 victory over UC-Irvine. our freshman goalie Friedberg only had to make one save to record his first collegiate shutout, and Ka scored the ony goal, heading in a corner kick from the ironically named (given the weather conditions) Drought. The game was played in the middle of the day during a heat wave, so the teams had hydration breaks midway through each half.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2022 03:53PM

mountainred

It's not often that my two Almae Matres play each other. I have taught my kids to sing "Olé, Olé-Olé-Olé, Gau-chos, Gau-chos!"

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2022 03:53PM by jtwcornell91.

Date: September 06, 2022 03:56PM

mountainred
Gauchos (love that nickname)

When I was in grad school at UCSB, there was a movement to change the nickname to "Sun Bears" as part of an effort to standardize bear-themed nicknames for the UC schools. Fortunately it failed.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: September 06, 2022 04:54PM

I actually knew a guy who had transferred from UCSB when I was a student. He was a year above me I think and he happened to be the roommate of another guy I knew at the time

For those of you familiar with the projections for this year, which team is favored in the Ivy League and what would those victories do the Cornell's NCAA chances down the road?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2022 04:56PM by Iceberg.

Date: September 06, 2022 05:17PM

Iceberg
For those of you familiar with the projections for this year, which team is favored in the Ivy League and what would those victories do the Cornell's NCAA chances down the road?

We are predicted to finish third, with Princeton the preseason favorite. According to the Cornell press release, Cal-Santa Barbara received some votes for the national poll in the preseason rankings, so that win should help us. Both UCSB and Irvine were among the preseason favorites in the Big West. If they both have good seasons, it will help us.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 10:25AM by dbilmes.

Date: September 07, 2022 01:24AM

jtwcornell91
mountainred

When I was in grad school at UCSB, there was a movement to change the nickname to "Sun Bears" as part of an effort to standardize bear-themed nicknames for the UC schools. Fortunately it failed.
anteaters and banana slugs are two of the best names in the ncaa!

Date: September 07, 2022 01:28AM

It's comically early but Cornell is currently #8 in RPI. How early? Harvard is #1.

Date: September 07, 2022 10:17AM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
mountainred

Zot! Zot! Zot!

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2022 04:56PM

jtwcornell91
ugarte

Zot! Zot! Zot!

BC’s originator, Johnny Hart was from nearby Broome County. Legend has it, that was the source for his comic strip.

Posted by: billhoward (---.net)
Date: September 08, 2022 06:07PM

jtwcornell91
ugarte
jtwcornell91
mountainred

Zot! Zot! Zot!
And the freshman team cheer is what, "Zit! Zit! Zit!"?

Posted by: billhoward (---.net)
Date: September 08, 2022 08:15PM

ugarte
It's comically early but Cornell is currently #8 in RPI. How early? Harvard is #1.
Teddy Kennedy did it. Now Cantab soccer, writing the correct info on a shirtsleeve

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2022 05:09PM

billhoward
jtwcornell91
ugarte
jtwcornell91
mountainred

Zot! Zot! Zot!
And the freshman team cheer is what, "Zit! Zit! Zit!"?

Thot! Thot! Thot!

Date: September 11, 2022 11:31AM

The men's soccer team continued its impressive start, albeit against a winless St. Joseph's team, with a 2--0 victory, scoring two second-half goals 21 seconds apart and dominating play. St. Joe's didn't get a single shot on goal. Cornell finally has a home game Tuesday night against Vermont. This game will be good test for us, as Vermont is 3-1-1, and is coming off back-to-back impressive wins against Ivy preseason favorite Princeton and Harvard, the team predicted to finish right behind us in the league standings. Their 2-0 win over Princeton was on the road, making it even more impressive. Vermont also tied an ACC team, Syracuse, 1-1.

Date: September 12, 2022 12:46AM

dbilmes
The men's soccer team continued its impressive start, albeit against a winless St. Joseph's team, with a 2--0 victory, scoring two second-half goals 21 seconds apart and dominating play. St. Joe's didn't get a single shot on goal.
the replay of the second goal is great. it's not clear if it went in on first watch because the ball hits the top crossbar, drops "straight" to the ground and then back in the field of play. on replay, though, you can see a cloud of turf pellets puff up behind the line before the ball spins out.

Cornell finally has a home game Tuesday night against Vermont. This game will be good test for us, as Vermont is 3-1-1, and is coming off back-to-back impressive wins against Ivy preseason favorite Princeton and Harvard, the team predicted to finish right behind us in the league standings. Their 2-0 win over Princeton was on the road, making it even more impressive. Vermont also tied an ACC team, Syracuse, 1-1.
Vermont's win over Harvard has them at 5 in RPI and dropped Harvard to 35. Syracuse is at 12 and we've fallen to 14 despite the extra W. Our SOS sucks but our opponents' is great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 12:51AM by ugarte.

Date: September 14, 2022 09:31AM

Vermont continued to show that it's the best team in the Ivies by defeating Cornell Tuesday night, 2-1. This is what Cornell coach John Smith had to say: "I thought it was a great game. I knew coming into this game that Vermont is a postseason team. I'll be shocked if they don't make the postseason. I'll be shocked if they don't win their conference. I thought we were the better team tonight. We played better soccer than they did. We created chances; we just got to put them away. The only thing I'm upset with tonight is the result."
Cornell is back on the road Friday night against Niagara, another team which opened its season with a California road trip. Niagara is just 1-3-1, but is coming off a 1-0 loss on the road to nationally ranked Syracuse. Friday's game looks like it will only be available on YouTube.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.mtnsat.com)
Date: September 14, 2022 11:41AM

dbilmes
Vermont continued to show that it's the best team in the Ivies by defeating Cornell Tuesday night, 2-1. This is what Cornell coach John Smith had to say: "I thought it was a great game. I knew coming into this game that Vermont is a postseason team. I'll be shocked if they don't make the postseason. I'll be shocked if they don't win their conference. I thought we were the better team tonight. We played better soccer than they did. We created chances; we just got to put them away. The only thing I'm upset with tonight is the result."
Cornell is back on the road Friday night against Niagara, another team which opened its season with a California road trip. Niagara is just 1-3-1, but is coming off a 1-0 loss on the road to nationally ranked Syracuse. Friday's game looks like it will only be available on YouTube.
Outplayed the opposition but lost. A common theme in last year's Ivy losses.worry

Date: September 14, 2022 06:46PM

Al DeFlorio
dbilmes
Outplayed the opposition but lost. A common theme in last year's Ivy losses.worry

I watched the entire game, and while it was a closely played game, I thought UVM had a bit of an overall edge in the run of play. Both teams had more scoring opportunities in the 1st half, while in the 2nd half the game tightened up. Two good teams for sure.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.mtnsat.com)
Date: September 15, 2022 08:16AM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio
dbilmes

I watched the entire game, and while it was a closely played game, I thought UVM had a bit of an overall edge in the run of play. Both teams had more scoring opportunities in the 1st half, while in the 2nd half the game tightened up. Two good teams for sure.
Coach Smith felt differently.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2022 09:34AM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
dbilmes

I also watched the game and felt that Vermont was the better team, controlled the ball more, and consistently found ways to threaten the Cornell defense. Most of Cornell's most effective offense was counter-attacks that had very little time controlling the ball.

Date: September 15, 2022 12:46PM

nshapiro
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
dbilmes

I also watched the game and felt that Vermont was the better team, controlled the ball more, and consistently found ways to threaten the Cornell defense. Most of Cornell's most effective offense was counter-attacks that had very little time controlling the ball.

Exactly how I saw it.

Date: September 18, 2022 08:31PM

Lost in all of the excitement over the football team's season-opening win, the men's soccer team stayed undefeated on the road with a 2-1 win at Niagara Saturday. In what is the norm for his post-game comments, Smith said: "I thought we played some excellent soccer at times today. On another day, we could have scored five goals with the chances we created."
Some interesting notes about our success on the road:
• Cornell improved to 4-0 on the road this season, marking the first time since 2012 that the Big Red has won its first four road matches. That year, Cornell won its first six road matches before concluding the year with a 7-1 road mark.

• The Big Red has posted a 22-9-1 (.703) road record since the beginning of the 2018 season. Entering the contest, the Big Red had the sixth-highest road win percentage by a Division I program over the last four-plus years.
Cornell will try for its first home victory Tuesday night against Canisius, which is 1-2-3, including a scoreless tie against Dartmouth. On paper, this is a game we should win.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 19, 2022 03:02PM

dbilmes
Lost in all of the excitement over the football team's season-opening win...
Right. All those "Way to go, Red!!! Unbelievable!!! Our long nightmare may be ending" comments.

Date: September 20, 2022 10:01PM

Cornell demolished Canisius 8-0 tonight. The game was every bit as lopsided as that sounds, with shots 33-2, and SOG 18-1. Canisius somehow has a win over Stonehill and ties against Dartmouth, St. Bonaventure, and Binghamton. They have a 1st year coach who clearly has a lot of work to do. The Big Red did a nice job staying structured and playing its game notwithstanding how quickly the game got out of hand.

Date: September 21, 2022 07:21AM

scoop85
Cornell demolished Canisius 8-0 tonight. The game was every bit as lopsided as that sounds, with shots 33-2, and SOG 18-1. Canisius somehow has a win over Stonehill and ties against Dartmouth, St. Bonaventure, and Binghamton. They have a 1st year coach who clearly has a lot of work to do. The Big Red did a nice job staying structured and playing its game notwithstanding how quickly the game got out of hand.
The eight goals were the most scored by Cornell since it scored a team-record 12 goals against Syracuse in 1965.
The final non-league tuneup before the Ivy season starts will be Saturday at Marist. We'll see if our road success can continue against a team which is 4-1-1.

Date: September 24, 2022 08:29PM

The men's soccer team stayed unbeaten on the road with a 1-0 victory at Marist Saturday night. I only watched the last 20 minutes, but it was a physical game, with numerous yellow cards issued and there was a near-tussle between the teams after some hard fouls, leading to one of Marist's top players getting his second yellow card, leaving Marist a man short for the final few minutes. Marist had some excellent scoring chances before that, but couldn't capitalize. The loss was the first at home for Marist this season.
In any case, it was a good way to tune up for the Ivy opener next Saturday against Harvard at 4 p.m. at home. Last year, we scored five first-half goals against Harvard to jump ahead 5-0, and held to hold on to a 5-4 victory. Harvard was picked to finish fourth, one spot behind us, in the Ivy preseason poll. Harvard is 4-2-1 with a non-league game against New Hampshire Tuesday.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2022 08:30PM by dbilmes.

Date: October 01, 2022 06:10PM

The men's soccer team opened Ivy play with a 3-2 win over Harvard. The game was 1-1 at halftime. Cornell opened up a 3-1 lead late in the second half, but Harvard cut it to 3-2 with about 9 minutes to play to make it an exciting finish. The game got quite chippy in the final 20 minutes, and several Cornell players had to leave the game with injuries. Morales scored the game-winner on a long shot which caught the Harvard goalie by surprise, and then assisted on what turned out to be the winning goal. Both Harvard goals came on headers off set plays, including a corner kick for their second goal.
We were picked to finish third in the Ivies and Harvard was picked for fourth, so this was a good win to open the Ivy season.

Re: Men's Soccer 2022 @ #7 Syracuse 10/4 W2-1
Date: October 04, 2022 04:36PM

Top-25 soccer poll as of the week of 10/3. Cornell is cited. Was also-mention last week, climbed to #22 with the 10/3 poll. The only other Ivy cited as also-mention Yale.

Cornell plays seventh-rated Syracuse on the road today (7pm, Tuesday 10/4, ESPN+). Cornell's only loss is 2-1 to No. 16 Vermont.

[www.ncaa.com]

Cornell 1-0 at the half over the Orange
Cornell 2-0 on a PK with 23' to play. First time Syracuse gave up 2 goals. Heh.
Cornell 2-1 final. Syracuse converted a penalty kick with :17 to play so it hasn't lost any game except by one goal.

Nice game. Very good Syracuse/ACC announcing crew, not afraid to say when Cornell got a raw deal on a penalty, or if Syracuse got lucky on one.

The SU soccer field is just that, standalone stadium (1500 seats) for soccer only, not many stands but a wrap around the far side of the field. Cameras at the ends. A small sloped grass area for fans will to sit on the ground in 50-degree weather. A bit nicer than Cornell's field, more intimate because it doesn't have a running track around the outside.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2022 09:15PM by billhoward.

Re: Men's Soccer 2022 @ #7 Syracuse 10/4
Date: October 04, 2022 09:09PM

billhoward
Top-25 soccer poll as of the week of 10/3. Cornell is cited. Was also-mention last week, climbed to #22 with the 10/3 poll. The only other Ivy cited as also-mention Yale.

Cornell plays seventh-rated Syracuse on the road today (7pm, Tuesday 10/4, ESPN+). Cornell's only loss is 2-1 to No. 16 Vermont.

[www.ncaa.com]

Big upset. 2-1 Cornell win. The ref calls a foul against Cornell for pulling down a player in the box on a corner kick with 17 seconds left. Otherwise, really nice defense against a team that really looked generally faster and stronger. Good combination of work from the D and the goalie to keep the sheet clean for almost the full 90.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2022 09:12PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2022 09:10PM

2-1 final after 90th minute S penalty kick goal.

Re: Men's Soccer 2022 @ #7 Syracuse 10/4
Date: October 04, 2022 09:13PM

billhoward

[www.ncaa.com]

Cornell wins 2-1. SU was gifted a PK on a ghost foul in the box with 17 seconds left, but that was too little too late for the Orange. Big Red played a terrific game. I don’t think overall this team is as dangerous offensively as last year’s team, but our freshman goaltender Friedberg is an upgrade. He’s especially good snagging balls lofted in the box.

Re: Men's Soccer 2022 @ #7 Syracuse 10/4 W2-1
Date: October 04, 2022 09:26PM

Two thoughts:

Bad thought: Syracuse closed to one goal in the final minute, against Cornell. And Syracuse had possession at midfield. Anybody nervous?

Good thought: Soccer. Futbol. A lot of pushing and shoving. Unhappy home team. But no tear gas, no trampled fans.

Date: October 04, 2022 09:50PM

Noteworthy that soccer is on this run given that they are missing two of their top players, Eisner and Ka, who are battling injuries.

Date: October 05, 2022 08:20PM

scoop85
Noteworthy that soccer is on this run given that they are missing two of their top players, Eisner and Ka, who are battling injuries.
Eisner and Ka were both injured Saturday against Harvard. Eisner had just come back from an injury and was playing well. Let's hope neither of them is injured too badly.

Re: Men's Soccer 2022 @ Brown W2-1
Date: October 08, 2022 06:07PM

Cornell climbs to 9-1 with a 2-1 win over Brown Saturday late afternoon. 2-0 in Ivy play. Next up: @ Colgate Tuesday 4 pm.

Date: October 08, 2022 06:08PM

After giving up a late goal that evened the score, Cornell scores with 15 seconds left to beat Brown 2-1 in Providence. Huge league win to keep the train moving forward.

Date: October 09, 2022 06:56PM

Cornell had some close calls go its way en route to the 9-1 record. Such as the winning goal at Brown coming in the final minute. Or its two goals at Syracuse coming from an own goal and a PK. Still, nine and one.

Date: October 10, 2022 08:56AM

#4 in RPI
[www.ncaa.com]

Date: October 10, 2022 01:18PM

finally got around to jumping around to see the late game highlights and boy the announcer wasn't kidding about the Big Red nearly giving up a PK with 5 seconds left. would have been a bad call (defender was clearly playing the ball) but i've seen much worse whistles in my life.

Date: October 10, 2022 05:44PM

nshapiro
#4 in RPI
[www.ncaa.com]
Interesting to see that Syracuse is one spot ahead of us even after we beat them. It shows that their league (the ACC) is much stronger than the Ivy League, but that's not a surprise. Penn (18) and Yale (20) are also both in Top Twenty in RPI, and both promise to be tough games ahead.

Date: October 10, 2022 06:44PM

dbilmes
nshapiro
#4 in RPI
[www.ncaa.com]
Interesting to see that Syracuse is one spot ahead of us even after we beat them. It shows that their league (the ACC) is much stronger than the Ivy League, but that's not a surprise. Penn (18) and Yale (20) are also both in Top Twenty in RPI, and both promise to be tough games ahead.
i think they were briefly below us but since playing each other, we beat Brown and they beat Wake Forest.

Date: October 11, 2022 04:16PM

Don"t know what it is with the Colgate camera but the field looks half a mile wide and the players on the far side look like ants. Really unwatchable.

Date: October 11, 2022 04:34PM

Al DeFlorio
Don"t know what it is with the Colgate camera but the field looks half a mile wide and the players on the far side look like ants. Really unwatchable.
A lens shade would help. And/or a lens cloth or Zeiss lens cleaning wipe ($15 for 100 or 200).

Scoreless midway through the first half.
Scoreless at the half. Cornell 2-1 SOG, Cornell 3 corners to 0.
Colgate 1-0 with 13 minutes to play. Quick push up field, Cornell didn't mark the attackers closely.
Final, Colgate 1-0 and Cornell drops to 9-2 albeit, unlike another fall sport, no losses in Ivy play.

Kind of nice when you'tr a small school, have lots of land, a gorgeous view, and no danger of academic buildings encroaching.

Kind of nice playing a college-look setting, temps near 70 degrees in Hamilton and it's only 90 minutes back to campus. A short bus ride back after a loss beats 6-7 hours.

Sunspots (photo):
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2022 06:13PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2022 05:47PM

It appears that no Ivy team has ever played in the NCAA Mens' final. Southern Illinois University Edwardsville has, however.

Date: October 11, 2022 08:31PM

Trotsky
It appears that no Ivy team has ever played in the NCAA Mens' final. Southern Illinois University Edwardsville has, however.
Columbia lost the final in 1983

Date: October 11, 2022 09:06PM

nshapiro
Trotsky
Columbia lost the final in 1983
Somehwhat overshadowing 1983 Columbia football, 1-7-2, but the W was over Yale while losing at Cornell 31-6 in front of 3500.

Date: October 12, 2022 05:13PM

billhoward
Final, Colgate 1-0 and Cornell drops to 9-2 albeit, unlike another fall sport, no losses in Ivy play. ...
i thought this was going to be brutal for our RPI but it turns out that Colgate, at 38 after the W, isn't a particularly bad loss (as of now). Cornell is still at 5. Of course I'm more nervous about the Ivy schedule than I was a week ago after the white-knuckle ride against Brown and the loss to 'gate.

Date: October 12, 2022 10:49PM

Soccer team may know how good it is / can be throughout season.

Otherwise, for us from afar, 9-2 or 10-1 or 9-1-1 after Tuesday, soccer has been a pleasant surprise and it feels as if we're playing with house money. Actually, watching.

Date: October 12, 2022 10:49PM

ugarte
billhoward
Final, Colgate 1-0 and Cornell drops to 9-2 albeit, unlike another fall sport, no losses in Ivy play. ...
i thought this was going to be brutal for our RPI but it turns out that Colgate, at 38 after the W, isn't a particularly bad loss (as of now). Cornell is still at 5. Of course I'm more nervous about the Ivy schedule than I was a week ago after the white-knuckle ride against Brown and the loss to 'gate.
Would you please post a link to where you see this RPI. I only can find the weekly update on the NCAA site.

Date: October 14, 2022 07:55PM

nshapiro
ugarte
billhoward
Would you please post a link to where you see this RPI. I only can find the weekly update on the NCAA site.
[rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com]

Good drilldown if you click on individual teams or conferences too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2022 07:56PM by ugarte.

Date: October 16, 2022 01:15AM

Cornell falls to Penn 3-2. No bueno! On the other hand, Penn moved up to 5 and we only fell to 6 so ... another loss that didn't hurt much. Up next is Binghamton, with Princeton waiting.

Date: October 19, 2022 10:00AM

Cornell scored three second-half goals to rally for a 3-1 win Tuesday night over Binghamton in its final non-league game, before closing the season with four Ivy games. If Cornell wins out (a difficult task), it has to hope that someone else knocks off Penn for Cornell to have a chance at the title. According to Coach Smith, Cornell played last night without six injured starters. Next game is Saturday at Princeton. In any case, it's Cornell's fourth straight season with at least 10 wins.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2022 07:28PM

dbilmes
Cornell scored three second-half goals to rally for a 3-1 win Tuesday night over Binghamton in its final non-league game, before closing the season with four Ivy games. If Cornell wins out (a difficult task), it has to hope that someone else knocks off Penn for Cornell to have a chance at the title. According to Coach Smith, Cornell played last night without six injured starters. Next game is Saturday at Princeton. In any case, it's Cornell's fourth straight season with at least 10 wins.

Thanks for that info. Any chance Cornell gets an at large to the tourney or is the Ivy a one-bid league?

Date: October 19, 2022 09:08PM

CU2007
dbilmes

Thanks for that info. Any chance Cornell gets an at large to the tourney or is the Ivy a one-bid league?
It doesn't look like the Ivy League gets an automatic bid, since no team from the Ivy League made the tournament in 2018. I looked at the tournaments dating back to 2016, and the Ivy League never had more than one team in the field, and the Ivy team always lost in the first round. So based upon recent history, Cornell won't receive an NCAA bid unless it wins the Ivy title.

Posted by: Weder (104.28.77.---)
Date: October 20, 2022 08:17AM

dbilmes
CU2007
dbilmes

It doesn't look like the Ivy League gets an automatic bid, since no team from the Ivy League made the tournament in 2018. I looked at the tournaments dating back to 2016, and the Ivy League never had more than one team in the field, and the Ivy team always lost in the first round. So based upon recent history, Cornell won't receive an NCAA bid unless it wins the Ivy title.

The Ivies definitely have an auto-bid. Princeton got it in 2018. It hasn't happened as much in the past 5 years, but the Ivies used to get multiple bids pretty regularly.

Date: October 20, 2022 10:00AM

Weder
dbilmes
CU2007
dbilmes

The Ivies definitely have an auto-bid. Princeton got it in 2018. It hasn't happened as much in the past 5 years, but the Ivies used to get multiple bids pretty regularly.
I was looking at this bracket, which didn't show Princeton being in the field. But upon further investigation I learned that Princeton had played Michigan in the first round, losing 11-10 on penalty kicks after the teams played to a 1-1 tie. Even though the bracket I originally looked at listed the games as first-round games, they were actually second-round games,

Date: October 20, 2022 11:35AM

This projection has Cornell and Penn in and Yale as the first team out. I suspect the RPI in the closing games is more likely to hurt than to help Ivy league teams but still, the Ivies putting two in the top 10 says something about our schedule.

NB: It says that Cornell is the projected champ but that's based on RPI, not on league standings where we obviously trail 3-0 Penn.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2022 12:06PM

dbilmes
Weder
dbilmes
CU2007
dbilmes

I was looking at this bracket, which didn't show Princeton being in the field. But upon further investigation I learned that Princeton had played Michigan in the first round, losing 11-10 on penalty kicks after the teams played to a 1-1 tie. Even though the bracket I originally looked at listed the games as first-round games, they were actually second-round games,

Keep scrolling on that first bracket, below where it shows Maryland as the champion. The layout is bad and it’s not obvious that there is an upper half and a lower half to the bracket.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2022 12:07PM by Weder.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2022 08:24PM

Weder
dbilmes
Weder
dbilmes
CU2007
dbilmes

Keep scrolling on that first bracket, below where it shows Maryland as the champion. The layout is bad and it’s not obvious that there is an upper half and a lower half to the bracket.

Isn't it bad enough that Maryland is so good in lacrosse? Now soccer too! Fuck Maryland!

Date: October 22, 2022 09:33PM

The men's soccer team raised its record to 8-1 on the road and stayed in second place in Ivies with a 3-1 win at Princeton. Morales and Kiingi teamed up for all three Cornell goals. There was a strange play late in game when it looked like Princeton might have scored to cut out lead to 3-2, as the players on both teams momentarily stopped play. But the ref never signaled a goal, and it was inconclusive on the TV replay. The biggest play came when we scored our third goal less than a minute after Princeton had scored to cut Cornell's lead to 2-1. The strangest play came after Princeton scored, when one of their players went into the Cornell goal to grab the ball, and a Cornell player took offense. Somehow, the Princeton player ended up getting a yellow card.
Penn remained unbeaten in Ivy play with a 1-0 win over Brown. Cornell has to hope that Princeton (or someone else) can upset Penn in the next three weeks while Cornell takes care of its business. Next up is Dartmouth at home next Saturday. Dartmouth moved into third place with a 1-0 win over Columbia.

Date: October 23, 2022 09:48AM

dbilmes
The strangest play came after Princeton scored, when one of their players went into the Cornell goal to grab the ball, and a Cornell player took offense. Somehow, the Princeton player ended up getting a yellow card.
Watched this. While concededly the Cornell player should have just let the Princeton guy grab the ball, I think the Tiger got flagged because while there was a tussle for the ball it seemingly ended with a football tackle to get the ball back (though it is also possible that their feet just got tangled up).

Date: October 28, 2022 09:39PM

Cornell is ranked as the 13 seed, potentially, by the NCAA, as of the week of Oct. 28. Per Cornell: [cornellbigred.com] Forty-eight D1 schools make the playoffs; 23 get AQs and 25 are at-large. The tournament field will be announced Monday, Nov. 14, at 1 p.m.

Date: October 29, 2022 06:07PM

Cornell beats Dartmouth 2-1 and Penn falls to Harvard 3-2, so Cornell and Penn are tied at the top of the Ivy League.

The Big Red is still flying high in RPI at 5.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.tmodns.net)
Date: October 29, 2022 07:45PM

Judging by that site, it seems like there's a reasonable chance of greater than one Ivy school being in the NCAA's depending on what happens the next two weekends
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2022 07:45PM by Iceberg.

Date: October 30, 2022 01:04AM

Iceberg
Judging by that site, it seems like there's a reasonable chance of greater than one Ivy school being in the NCAA's depending on what happens the next two weekends
based on that site i wonder if there would be 3 if we lose to yale

Date: October 30, 2022 08:38AM

Instead of starting a new thread, it's worth noting that the women's soccer team beat Princeton for the first time since 1995. That's quite a drought!

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2022 02:12PM

billhoward
Cornell is ranked as the 13 seed, potentially, by the NCAA, as of the week of Oct. 28. Per Cornell: [cornellbigred.com] Forty-eight D1 schools make the playoffs; 23 get AQs and 25 are at-large. The tournament field will be announced Monday, Nov. 14, at 1 p.m.

from the article bill linked

"Two weeks before the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer committee is set to release the 48-team field for the 2022 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship, the committee revealed Friday evening the top 16 teams for results through Oct. 27 during halftime of the Duke – Virginia Tech game on the ACC Network.

Interesting. I'm sure every serious fan of any team sport knows where to find an uptodate ranking that uses the exact NCAA criteria, like checking the pairwise on CHN or uscho for hockey. But I love how the NCAA is proactively publishing this for soccer. They ought to do this for every sport that has non-subjective criteria—it'd be a PR win for them and help build the hype over the last 4 weeks of the season or so.

They're even missing out on a monetization opportunity, which is pretty rare. They ought to brand this stuff and sell it off by sport

The Puma official NCAA soccer rankings
The Goldman Sachs Official Lax ranking
The Official FCS rankings by Mayo Clinic...cuz these guys will all need orthopedic care soon enough

Edit: they have all this ranking stuff on their website already. Here's men's hockey.

Are they publicly hyping this stuff for other sports besides soccer but I've.just.missed.it in the past?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2022 02:24PM by abmarks.

Date: October 30, 2022 04:35PM

ugarte
Iceberg
based on that site i wonder if there would be 3 if we lose to yale
looking at it i realized that harvard would be the third team already with yale not too far off the bubble. the cut line is pretty volatile, though, and the RPI has us rated higher than the committee rankings do and that may be true for other ivies as well.

Date: October 31, 2022 09:31AM

abmarks
Interesting. I'm sure every serious fan of any team sport knows where to find an uptodate ranking that uses the exact NCAA criteria, like checking the pairwise on CHN or uscho for hockey. But I love how the NCAA is proactively publishing this for soccer. They ought to do this for every sport that has non-subjective criteria—it'd be a PR win for them and help build the hype over the last 4 weeks of the season or so.
Exactly. And sports also benefits from occasional (fair-weather?) fans. Who knew Cornell's love for basketball in 2010? So it'd be nice if it's easier for all fans to see polls, rankings, potential seedings and RPIs. Soccer, it seemed, was a bit slow to widely publish updated ratings earlier in the month. It takes a lot of behind-scenes work to collate the ratings from coaches or media, and it's also a lot simpler than pre-2000: rather than call or be called, each voter/rater fills out an online form and, bingo, the poll creates itself.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2022 09:36PM

1-1 tie to Yale earlier with Penn beating Columbia. I guess Cornell would have to beat said Columbia team next week and hope Penn loses at Princeton to win the league?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2022 09:37PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2022 12:09AM

Iceberg
1-1 tie to Yale earlier with Penn beating Columbia. I guess Cornell would have to beat said Columbia team next week and hope Penn loses at Princeton to win the league?

Seems unlikely. I wasn’t impressed by Princeton. But then, they could always park the bus and pull something out.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2022 11:54AM

Swampy
Iceberg

Seems unlikely. I wasn’t impressed by Princeton. But then, they could always park the bus and pull something out.

Assuming we beat a pretty bad Columbia team, are we a safe bet to make the ncaa’s even if Princeton doesn’t help us out?

Date: November 11, 2022 12:25PM

CU2007
Swampy
Iceberg

Assuming we beat a pretty bad Columbia team, are we a safe bet to make the ncaa’s even if Princeton doesn’t help us out?
#8 in RPI: [rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com]

Date: November 11, 2022 01:48PM

Al DeFlorio
CU2007
Swampy
Iceberg

The better question is are we going to be a top 16 seed and get a bye. [www.ncaa.com]

Date: November 11, 2022 02:14PM

nshapiro
Al DeFlorio
CU2007
Swampy
Iceberg

The better question is are we going to be a top 16 seed and get a bye. [www.ncaa.com]
Alberto Camargo's predicted bracket as of November 3:

Date: November 11, 2022 09:35PM

Al DeFlorio
nshapiro
Al DeFlorio
CU2007
Swampy
Iceberg

Alberto Camargo's predicted bracket as of November 3:

Very bullish on Penn at 5. sure, they're probably going to win the conference and beat us H2H but pending tomorrow's results we have:
much tougher SOS (18 v 60)
better RPI (8 v 15)
better NCAA rank (13 v UR)
better best win (RPI 5 Syracuse vs... us)
better worst loss (Colgate (67) vs Albany (70))
our second worst result is a tie at Yale (49) while they lost to Harvard (47) and tied Temple (114)

Our placement seems fine even if I think our first match looks cruel but Penn is way high.

Date: November 12, 2022 04:39PM

Cornell with a goal 5 minutes in to take a 1-0 lead and nearly gets a penalty shot awarded with 15 minutes left in the first half but the officials ultimately decided the foul was just outside the box. Really dominating play so I want a second goal so I can exhale.

Penn also up 1-0 late in the first half.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2022 04:41PM by ugarte.

Date: November 12, 2022 04:49PM

Penn bangs home a second with under 10 remaining in the first half. Win this for seeding but the Ivy title is probably out of reach.

Date: November 12, 2022 05:11PM

And right off the second half start, Cornell gets it in deep, the Columbia goalie comes off his line but loses the race to the ball and Cornell gets an easy tap-in to go up 2-0.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.40.---)
Date: November 12, 2022 05:12PM

ugarte
Really dominating play so I want a second goal so I can exhale.

Please exhale now.

Date: November 12, 2022 05:13PM

mountainred
ugarte
Really dominating play so I want a second goal so I can exhale.

Please exhale now.
ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Date: November 12, 2022 05:45PM

Soph D Brennan Mallett gets his first career goal and Cornell goes up 3-0. Alas, that's also the score in Penn-Princeton.

Date: November 12, 2022 05:48PM

Glad our guys are taking care of business. Princeton was the pre-season favorite and was a non-factor

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-216-210.myvzw.com)
Date: November 12, 2022 06:16PM

Lions put one home with 6 minutes left and it ends 3-1. Now we wait for the selection show.

Date: November 14, 2022 10:44AM

Selection show today at 1pm. [www.ncaa.com]

Just wondering if anyone can explain the SOS column - on this page - [rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com] it says Virginia is #1 and Cornell is #46 in SOS... but if I go to the Syracuse page,(who played both), [rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com] it shows a SOS of .6563 for Virginia and .7813 for Cornell

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.58.---)
Date: November 14, 2022 01:22PM

nshapiro
Selection show today at 1pm. [www.ncaa.com]

Just wondering if anyone can explain the SOS column - on this page - [rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com] it says Virginia is #1 and Cornell is #46 in SOS... but if I go to the Syracuse page,(who played both), [rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com] it shows a SOS of .6563 for Virginia and .7813 for Cornell

Cornell in as 14 seed. To host winner of Maryland first round match. Chalk would send cornell on to a rematch with Syracuse.

[www.ncaa.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2022 01:26PM by Chris '03.

Date: November 14, 2022 01:24PM

Cornell gets a bye as #14 seed.
Penn and Vermont were top 16 RPIs that did not get byes. Tulsa (#17) and Indiana (#20) got them instead.

Date: November 14, 2022 09:42PM

Cornell vs. Maryland/Fairleigh Dickinson
Syracuse vs. Penn/Rutgers

I'll take it. Earning a bye is so goddamn cool.

Date: November 15, 2022 02:24PM

ugarte
Cornell vs. Maryland/Fairleigh Dickinson
Syracuse vs. Penn/Rutgers
I'll take it. Earning a bye is so goddamn cool.
Not gonna win it all. I've seen (my lifetime) Cornell make the final four, I can die happy knowing that, and who knows, maybe futbol can be another ascendant Cornell sport. Feels like we're playing with house money. Sort of like basketball 2010, we reached near 100% happiness knowing we got to play one game if nothing else.

Would be nice to see Cornell victorious, any sport, against Maryland. Why not soccer?

Date: November 17, 2022 05:25PM

Cornell did well with the Ivy post-season honors, placing three players on the first team, one on the second team and our freshman goalie Friedberg was named Ivy Rookie of the Year. Emeka Eneli was one of three players to be a unanimous first-team pick. Nice to see the players rewarded for their success. Wilson Eisner, a first-team selection last year, missed all but a few minutes of this season due to an injury. Imagine how much better Cornell would have been with a healthy Eisner.

Date: November 17, 2022 08:27PM

Maryland 5, Fairleigh Ridiculous 2; Cornell hosts Maryland Sunday at 2.

Penn 2, Rutgers 0 in second half.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login