Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell's new baseball stadium - "Booth Field"

Posted by Ken711 
Cornell's new baseball stadium - "Booth Field"
Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2022 03:26PM

The Town of Ithaca Planning Board met on March 1 and granted Final Site Plan Approval for the proposed Cornell University New Baseball Field Project, located near the corner of Ellis Hollow Road and Game Farm Road, The proposal involves the construction of a new baseball field facility, consisting of a stadium with a synthetic turf field, dugouts, scoreboard, and bleachers. The project will also include a 15,160 +/- square foot support building, a 590 +/- square foot building with bathrooms, 80 parking spaces, and other appurtenances.

Fred Wilcox a member of the planning board commented that this project has made us realize that Cornell University is running out of space on central campus. This field is being moved to make way for a new engineering computer science building. We've seen the alumni fields slowly disappear, over time, and this is proper, moving the non-educational experiences off central campus into the outlying area, and he suspects we will see more of it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2022 05:31PM by Ken711.

Re: New baseball field site approval received
Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: April 18, 2022 05:40PM

it helps if they want to make it easy for others to use it as well.. its a bit of a pain for all the bball players you see walking to/from practice though.. Softball has made it work.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2022 07:22PM

Is that 50 cars worth of parking for baseball, or 50 for the complex? I know Cornell wants to be green but if alumni or parents drive in, does Cornell make them park at one remote site and then take a shuttle to the also-remote new sports complex?

Date: April 18, 2022 09:11PM

billhoward
Is that 50 cars worth of parking for baseball, or 50 for the complex? I know Cornell wants to be green but if alumni or parents drive in, does Cornell make them park at one remote site and then take a shuttle to the also-remote new sports complex?

80 parking spaces for the baseball field complex.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2022 09:11PM by Ken711.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dhcp.fnal.gov)
Date: April 18, 2022 10:17PM

upprdeck
it helps if they want to make it easy for others to use it as well.. its a bit of a pain for all the bball players you see walking to/from practice though.. Softball has made it work.
Seems to me that my friends on the crew team described running to and from the boathouse on the inlet. They called it conditioning.

Date: May 04, 2022 08:28PM

Here's the release on the new building going up on the site of Hoy Field. Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2023 on a state-of-the-art academic building for the Cornell Ann S. Bowers College of Computing and Information Science.

To make room for the new building, Cornell will relocate its NCAA Division I baseball field to the corner of Ellis Hollow and Game Farm roads, south of the McGovern soccer fields in the Town of Ithaca.

The new synthetic-turf baseball field will feature stadium seating for 500, as well as an enclosed clubhouse and press box. The stadium complex, designed by Stantec Ewing Cole Architects, will be built into the existing hillside; spectators will enter at concourse level and either walk down to their seats or stand for an unobstructed view of the field.

An 80-car parking lot will be built adjacent to the field, connected to Ellis Hollow Road by a new private access road.

“Hoy Field has been a wonderful home to the Cornell Baseball program for 100 years,” said Ryan Lombardi, vice president for student and campus life. “In collaboration with the coaching and athletics staff, we’re confident the new field and facility will introduce an exciting new chapter for Cornell Baseball.”

Construction on the new home for Cornell baseball will begin later this year, and is expected to be completed in time for the 2023 season.

[stat.cornell.edu]

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2022 10:18PM

A slightly different take.
[ithacavoice.com]

Date: May 04, 2022 10:56PM

they knew the original building was too small before they even started construction. they couldnt fit all the staff in that one before they held one class.

Date: May 04, 2022 11:25PM

The architects for the new baseball stadium have a lot of experience in sports facilities. NY Giants and NY Jets MetLife Stadium, Philadelphia Phillies Citizen Bank Park, New York Mets Clover Park spring training stadium to name a few.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: May 05, 2022 12:28PM

David Harding
A slightly different take.
[ithacavoice.com]

If you zoom in on the Google Maps satellite view of Hoy Field that's embedded in the story, it switches to a 3-D view where Gates Hall is still being constructed and a baseball game is being played. The West stands of Schoellkopf also magically reappear.

Date: May 06, 2022 09:37AM

interesting because if you actually go to google maps that doesnt happen

Date: May 06, 2022 10:26AM

On the legacy athletic fields-buildings site (Hoy, Schoellkopf, Teagle, Lynah, Friedman and the decreasing # of Upper Alumni fields), there remains a small patch of land where the West Stands stood at Schoellkopf and a new(ish) press box now stands. Could Cornell find room enough to wedge a building in there? One interesting feature of the new (1998) Princeton Stadium is part of the facility is for meetings / academics / classrooms.

Be interesting to see a combined purposes (academics, athletics) West Stands replacement that includes some academic components, a press box, luxury boxes possibly, and open-but-covered seating for 500 fans for really inclement weather. The playing surface could be pushed ~25-50 feet closer to the main stands by taking up the asphalt track now that track has decamped. What else could Cornell put there: flowers and grasses to capture CO2? Solar panels? Or just leave it asphalt? At Schoellkopf, I don't think that patch is near wide enough to wedge in the 50-meter pool Cornell needs to build.

Most Cornell lacrosse games this year didn't get 500 attendees, nor did any of the sprint football games played at Schoellkopf last fall.

2022 Attendance Cornell Lacrosse Home Games 
 385    Albany 
 303    Hobart 
 562    Ohio State 
 468    Yale
1569	Penn
 385	Harvard 
 388	Army 
 884	Brown

Also, is Teagle Hall obsolete? What intercollegiate sports are still played there? Is there a chance Teagle could be taken for academics as well? Fencing (which had been in Teagle last century) this year shows no matches in Ithaca. Gymnastics meets are in Bartels Hall. So in Teagle Hall there's a pool too small, too leaky and too murky to be used ... rowing tanks ... and what else for intercollegiate sports? Are student rec facilities being pushed to West Campus and North Campus?

Date: May 06, 2022 11:14AM

billhoward
On the legacy athletic fields-buildings site (Hoy, Schoellkopf, Teagle, Lynah, Friedman and the decreasing # of Upper Alumni fields), there remains a small patch of land where the West Stands stood at Schoellkopf and a new(ish) press box now stands. Could Cornell find room enough to wedge a building in there? One interesting feature of the new (1998) Princeton Stadium is part of the facility is for meetings / academics / classrooms.

Be interesting to see a combined purposes (academics, athletics) West Stands replacement that includes some academic components, a press box, luxury boxes possibly, and open-but-covered seating for 500 fans for really inclement weather. The playing surface could be pushed ~25-50 feet closer to the main stands by taking up the asphalt track now that track has decamped. What else could Cornell put there: flowers and grasses to capture CO2? Solar panels? Or just leave it asphalt? At Schoellkopf, I don't think that patch is near wide enough to wedge in the 50-meter pool Cornell needs to build.

Most Cornell lacrosse games this year didn't get 500 attendees, nor did any of the sprint football games played at Schoellkopf last fall.

385    Albany 
 303    Hobart 
 562    Ohio State 
 468    Yale
1569	Penn
 385	Harvard 
 388	Army 
 884	Brown

Also, is Teagle Hall obsolete? What intercollegiate sports are still played there? Is there a chance Teagle could be taken for academics as well? Fencing (which had been in Teagle last century) this year shows no matches in Ithaca. Gymnastics meets are in Bartels Hall. So in Teagle Hall there's a pool too small, too leaky and too murky to be used ... rowing tanks ... and what else for intercollegiate sports? Are student rec facilities being pushed to West Campus and North Campus?

I heard from someone that the long range plan is for the West Stands area to be built out for more locker rooms and possibly a weight room. Not sure about stands above that new facility. It's one reason why they went with modular locker rooms for the Sprint football program.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: May 06, 2022 11:45AM

billhoward

385    Albany 
 303    Hobart 
 562    Ohio State 
 468    Yale
1569	Penn
 385	Harvard 
 388	Army 
 884	Brown

These attendance figures are sad. On the podcast recalling Richie Moran, Mike French mentioned a specific game during the mid-70s where 17,000 fans were in the stands. For the big games back then, like Hopkins or Hobart (another big rivalry in the day), we would routinely get 15,000-20,000 fans.

Date: May 06, 2022 02:55PM

dbilmes
These [Cornell lacrosse] attendance figures are sad. On the podcast recalling Richie Moran, Mike French mentioned a specific game during the mid-70s where 17,000 fans were in the stands. For the big games back then, like Hopkins or Hobart (another big rivalry in the day), we would routinely get 15,000-20,000 fans.
Cornell at Princeton is played not at the football stadium but at Sherrerd Field (Class of 1952 Stadium), arguably the most attractive, well-landscaped lacrosse soccer fields in America. You're on campus but the tall trees bordering the field make it feel like you're in a lush green place all its own. I really hope Cornell spends the money to equip one of the Cornell Remote fields that way. Oh, yeah, also build the stands with decent elevation.

Cornell-Princeton may have been the highlight game of the Ivy lax season. The weather was okay. But: The stadium was only half-full. (Capacity: 4,000.) Just 4, 5 years ago it was full, full, full every year Cornell played at Princeton pre-Covid.

Date: May 07, 2022 10:17AM

it doesnt help that most of the cornell games the weather was bad and the one nice local game was played in the Dome

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 07, 2022 11:24AM

upprdeck
it doesnt help that most of the cornell games the weather was bad and the one nice local game was played in the Dome

Do you expect this to change much in the near future, say the next 10-20 years?

Date: May 07, 2022 12:49PM

yeah. if they fixed the schedule to play in better times.. i get the idea to be done by memorial. buy you could move it back 2-3 weeks as well. been to a ton of games over the years but i dont recall as many really bad weather games but 30-40 yrs ago. longer season causes these issues.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: May 07, 2022 04:15PM

upprdeck
yeah. if they fixed the schedule to play in better times.. i get the idea to be done by memorial. buy you could move it back 2-3 weeks as well. been to a ton of games over the years but i dont recall as many really bad weather games but 30-40 yrs ago. longer season causes these issues.

I’m not set up right this second to look it up myself. Are there any other outdoor spring sports that play home regular season games/matches/meets in February?

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2022 06:34PM

RichH
upprdeck

I’m not set up right this second to look it up myself. Are there any other outdoor spring sports that play home regular season games/matches/meets in February?

I think just women’s lacrosse. Softball and baseball typically play all their February games on the road.

Date: May 08, 2022 09:24AM

1971 first game on the road at Vir. April 1st
first home game cort april 14th
vs

2022 first game on the road at Albany Feb 19th
first home game lehigh march 1

1982 first game on the road at adelphi march 20
first home game Dart april 4

1992 first home game PSU Feb 15th

2002 first home game UMBC march 9th

we started the season in April now we start 2 months earlier. thats why the weather sucks..

we finish 1971 may 18th then had the tourney and ended in June..

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: May 08, 2022 09:49AM

upprdeck
we started the season in April now we start 2 months earlier. thats why the weather sucks..

Not being into lacrosse history nearly as much as hockey history, when/why did this change? Nothing wrong with hanging around campus into June, that's for sure.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2022 10:08AM

upprdeck
1971 first game on the road at Vir. April 1st
first home game cort april 14th
vs

2022 first game on the road at Albany Feb 19th
first home game lehigh march 1

1982 first game on the road at adelphi march 20
first home game Dart april 4

1992 first home game PSU Feb 15th

2002 first home game UMBC march 9th

Good post!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2022 04:12PM

upprdeck

Whatever we do, we should still make sure it's 35 degrees and freezing rain when we play Syracuse at home.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: May 10, 2022 04:52PM

jtwcornell91
upprdeck

Whatever we do, we should still make sure it's 35 degrees and freezing rain when we play Syracuse at home.
If it's Ithaca between October and May it will be.

Date: May 19, 2022 12:33AM

On the legacy athletic fields-buildings site (Hoy, Schoellkopf, Teagle, Lynah, Friedman and the decreasing # of Upper Alumni fields)

Speaking of Teagle Hall, I didn't realize until a couple of weeks ago how Walter Teagle the source of his fortune and his role in WWII. [en.wikipedia.org] If anyone in Cornell's history deserves to be cancelled, he must be near the top of the list.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2022 01:05AM

David Harding

On the legacy athletic fields-buildings site (Hoy, Schoellkopf, Teagle, Lynah, Friedman and the decreasing # of Upper Alumni fields)

Speaking of Teagle Hall, I didn't realize until a couple of weeks ago how Walter Teagle the source of his fortune and his role in WWII. [en.wikipedia.org] If anyone in Cornell's history deserves to be cancelled, he must be near the top of the list.
Incredible. If he did that today he'd be pardoned by President DeSantis.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2022 07:39AM

Teagle is in such bad shape that the swimming and diving teams had several home meets at Ithaca College's pool. [cornellsun.com]

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2022 08:09AM

David Harding

Right up there with anti-Semite and educational misogynist Goldwin Smith. Smith told AD White that admitting women would cause Cornell to "sink at once from the rank of a University to that of an Oberlin or a high school" and that all "hopes of future greatness" would be lost by admitting women.

Date: May 19, 2022 11:32AM

David Harding

Cornell's big machers (maybe bad phrasing, okay) of the early to mid-20th century as financial supporters and as trustees were in some cases men worldly in their dislikes, of Blacks, Jews, foreigners in general, Jews (just in case I forgot), of women if it meant taking Cornell space away from men, and people to the left of Kenneth Keating and Jacob Javits (NYS GOP senators 1950s-1980). All covered in Cornell: A History, 1940-2015 by Glenn C. Altschuler and Isaac Kramnick. Much of Cornell's support and standing as trustees went to men of industry until circa 1960, when Wall Street money moved in. An outlier was Cornell's biggest donor, Chuck Feeney Hotel '56, he of the duty-free shops.

Date: May 19, 2022 11:35AM

David Harding

Cornell's big machers (maybe bad phrasing, okay) of the early to mid-20th century as financial supporters and as trustees were in some cases men worldly in their dislikes, of Blacks, Jews, foreigners in general, women if it meant taking Cornell space away from men, and people to the left of Kenneth Keating and Jacob Javits (NYS Republican senators 1950s-1980). All covered in Cornell: A History, 1940-2015 by Glenn C. Altschuler and Isaac Kramnick. Much of Cornell's support and standing as trustees went to men of industry until circa 1960, when Wall Street money moved in. An outlier was Cornell's biggest donor, Chuck Feeney Hotel '56, he of the duty-free shops.

Date: May 19, 2022 02:52PM

billhoward
David Harding

Cornell's big machers (maybe bad phrasing, okay) of the early to mid-20th century as financial supporters and as trustees were in some cases men worldly in their dislikes, of Blacks, Jews, foreigners in general, women if it meant taking Cornell space away from men, and people to the left of Kenneth Keating and Jacob Javits (NYS Republican senators 1950s-1980). All covered in Cornell: A History, 1940-2015 by Glenn C. Altschuler and Isaac Kramnick. Much of Cornell's support and standing as trustees went to men of industry until circa 1960, when Wall Street money moved in. An outlier was Cornell's biggest donor, Chuck Feeney Hotel '56, he of the duty-free shops.

Come for the sports talk, stay for the thread drift.

Date: May 21, 2022 03:47PM

George64
David Harding

Right up there with anti-Semite and educational misogynist Goldwin Smith. Smith told AD White that admitting women would cause Cornell to "sink at once from the rank of a University to that of an Oberlin or a high school" and that all "hopes of future greatness" would be lost by admitting women.
sexist sure but the sideswipe on oberlin is funny

Date: May 21, 2022 05:29PM

ugarte
sexist sure but the sideswipe on oberlin is funny[/quote]
He should show up here more often. Some of the humor ("Oberlin";) would play.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 22, 2022 12:16PM

billhoward
David Harding

Cornell's big machers (maybe bad phrasing, okay) of the early to mid-20th century as financial supporters and as trustees were in some cases men worldly in their dislikes, of Blacks, Jews, foreigners in general, Jews (just in case I forgot), of women if it meant taking Cornell space away from men, and people to the left of Kenneth Keating and Jacob Javits (NYS GOP senators 1950s-1980). All covered in Cornell: A History, 1940-2015 by Glenn C. Altschuler and Isaac Kramnick. Much of Cornell's support and standing as trustees went to men of industry until circa 1960, when Wall Street money moved in. An outlier was Cornell's biggest donor, Chuck Feeney Hotel '56, he of the duty-free shops.

In 200 years people will recoil in horror at us. Maybe it will be animal cruelty, or our wasting of finite resources, or our blithe lack of concern at the billions in poverty in the midst of our plenty.

On a long enough timeline, everyone is a monster.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 12:16PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2022 01:01PM

Trotsky
billhoward
David Harding

In 200 years people will recoil in horror at us. Maybe it will be animal cruelty, or our wasting of finite resources, or our blithe lack of concern at the billions in poverty in the midst of our plenty.

In 200 years we may have burned up the planet sufficiently that none of this may matter.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2022 06:08PM

Trotsky
billhoward
David Harding

Artificial turf from petrochemicals.... oh the humanity.

Date: May 23, 2022 08:50AM

marty
Artificial turf from petrochemicals.... oh the humanity.
Coconut husks didn't work.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2022 02:52AM

It appears construction has started on the new baseball facility. A bunch of heavy equipment has been busy at the new site

Posted by: David Harding (---.dhcp.fnal.gov)
Date: June 29, 2022 10:22PM

The Ithaca Planning Board got its first look at the new computer and information science building on Tuesday. The agenda item is toward the end of this long article covering the whole meeting.
[ithacavoice.com]

Date: July 31, 2022 11:37AM

Cop at Lynah
It appears construction has started on the new baseball facility. A bunch of heavy equipment has been busy at the new site

Amy more progress on the baseball site?

Date: August 02, 2022 01:59AM

A tremendous amount of dirt has been moved on the site. It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you can start to see the shape of the "stadium" forming

Date: August 03, 2022 02:04PM

Cop at Lynah
A tremendous amount of dirt has been moved on the site. It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you can start to see the shape of the "stadium" forming

Thanks for the update!

Posted by: billhoward (---.slic.com)
Date: August 03, 2022 03:06PM

Ken711
Cop at Lynah
The odds baseball-field construction is faster-paced than the game itself? If there's a need for speed, might it be to get sports away from academic buildings so as to avoid pollution?

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: August 03, 2022 04:43PM

billhoward
Ken711
Cop at Lynah
The odds baseball-field construction is faster-paced than the game itself? If there's a need for speed, might it be to get sports away from academic buildings so as to avoid pollution?

Avoid pollution for whom: those using the academic buildings or those using the athletic facilities? Moving all the sports facilities miles away from walkable central campus just creates more demand for motorized travel for the participants and officials, right?

Date: August 03, 2022 11:22PM

RichH
billhoward
Ken711
Cop at Lynah

Avoid pollution for whom: those using the academic buildings or those using the athletic facilities? Moving all the sports facilities miles away from walkable central campus just creates more demand for motorized travel for the participants and officials, right?
+1

Date: August 04, 2022 09:49AM

RichH
billhoward
Ken711
Cop at Lynah

Date: August 04, 2022 09:56AM

RichH
billhoward
Ken711
Cop at Lynah

Oh, I thought that Bill was being ironic and referring to sports polluting our academic environment, or academics interfering with athletics.

Date: August 04, 2022 02:48PM

I'll try to take a couple pics of the site this weekend and post them

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: August 04, 2022 03:28PM

George64
RichH
billhoward
Ken711
Cop at Lynah

Oh, I thought that Bill was being ironic and referring to sports polluting our academic environment, or academics interfering with athletics.

You're probably right. So I guess I interfered with one political point to make another.

Posted by: billhoward (---.slic.com)
Date: August 04, 2022 04:14PM

RichH
billhoward
Ken711
Cop at Lynah
Is joke. Or irony. The idea some academics are unhappy about the sporting life. Unhappy that in many adult careers, the teamwork you learn playing sports (and that can include Ultimate) may make you more successful than finishing with a 3.9 GPA. Successful at least in a total-life-earnings type of success. I would still rather have the smart not well-rounded fellow student doing surgery on me.

It went downhill for Cornell fans and athletes when Lower Alumni Field gave way to academic buildings in the late 1970s. Then part of Upper Alumni Field. Then more of it. That was also a time when a fair number of fall and spring sports had midweek, 3pm or 4pm games, and you could walk over from classes or the library.

yes, there'll be more pollution when students drive to games. Or less pollution if they decide not to go watch at all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2022 04:16PM by billhoward.

Date: August 04, 2022 07:04PM

Cop at Lynah
I'll try to take a couple pics of the site this weekend and post them

That would be great!

Date: August 06, 2022 12:49PM

billhoward
RichH
billhoward
Ken711
Cop at Lynah
Is joke. Or irony. The idea some academics are unhappy about the sporting life. Unhappy that in many adult careers, the teamwork you learn playing sports (and that can include Ultimate) may make you more successful than finishing with a 3.9 GPA. Successful at least in a total-life-earnings type of success. I would still rather have the smart not well-rounded fellow student doing surgery on me.

It went downhill for Cornell fans and athletes when Lower Alumni Field gave way to academic buildings in the late 1970s. Then part of Upper Alumni Field. Then more of it. That was also a time when a fair number of fall and spring sports had midweek, 3pm or 4pm games, and you could walk over from classes or the library.

yes, there'll be more pollution when students drive to games. Or less pollution if they decide not to go watch at all.

IIRC, Cornell has a long-term physical plan for the campus. If there's adequate free parking at the campus periphery + environmentally sound, free buses to fields & other on-campus destinations, distant fields may lack the charm of LAF, but pollution might be a non-issue.

Date: August 06, 2022 05:48PM

The master plan was released in 2008 [masterplan.cornell.edu]

Date: August 07, 2022 01:54PM

Here are a couple pics I took on Sunday 8/7/2022

Date: August 08, 2022 07:51AM

Cop at Lynah
Here are a couple pics I took on Sunday 8/7/2022

Thanks for the posting them.

Date: August 08, 2022 08:55AM

According to this news which was published in the Ithaca Times last week, they expect to have the new baseball stadium ready in time for the 2023 season.

"Construction is already underway for the new Hoy baseball field, which will be moved a ways out from campus to the corner of Ellis Hollow and Game Farm road, near East Hill Plaza and the McGovern soccer fields. The new baseball diamond is scheduled for completion by the start of the 2023 season.

“Obviously, we're disappointed to move from Hoy because Hoy has so much tradition to it. But the school has done a great job of making sure we're in good shape when we make this move,” said Head Baseball Coach Dan Pepicelli.

The new baseball complex will feature a synthetic turf field, 500-seat stadium, clubhouse and 80-car parking lot.

Though the new field will require a longer commute for players and fans, Pepicelli has high hopes for the upcoming season on the new field with promising recruits and a couple of players coming back from injuries.

“Over the last 10 years now, we've been looking for that thing that can make us a little more competitive in the Ivy League,” Pepicelli said. “I think the new facility is really going to provide us with the development opportunities that we need to move forward.”

Date: August 22, 2022 01:10PM

Some photos from an Ithaca Voice article

[ithacavoice.com]

Date: August 22, 2022 01:27PM

Cop at Lynah

[ithacavoice.com]

Thanks! I visited Cornell a couple of weeks ago and wondered what was going on. In my over 60-year affiliation with Cornell, I’ve never seen this much construction activity. And more to come!

Date: August 22, 2022 02:48PM

Cop at Lynah

[ithacavoice.com]

Thanks for posting. It's going to be a nice facility when it's completed.

Date: August 22, 2022 03:11PM

so if they plan on 500 people attending a game and the lot holes 80 cars where/how do they expect people to get there? if you assumed 4 people in a car that still leaves about 200 people getting there in some other way or do they expect to have a non paved lot as well?

even if you assumed no spectators i would think many of the team would be driving there. its not a simple walk with gear in tow.. you might have 10-20 cars with just normal personel/players/umps etc that doesnt leave much for 500 more people to show up. But I suspect the crowds they get at Hoy will go down with less casual viewing out there.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2022 05:18PM

upprdeck
so if they plan on 500 people attending a game and the lot holes 80 cars where/how do they expect people to get there? if you assumed 4 people in a car that still leaves about 200 people getting there in some other way or do they expect to have a non paved lot as well?

even if you assumed no spectators i would think many of the team would be driving there. its not a simple walk with gear in tow.. you might have 10-20 cars with just normal personel/players/umps etc that doesnt leave much for 500 more people to show up. But I suspect the crowds they get at Hoy will go down with less casual viewing out there.

500 people at a Cornell baseball game on a frigid late April day? I'll bet they're lucky to get 25 people there.

Date: August 22, 2022 08:54PM

upprdeck

Perhaps by shuttle bus.

Date: August 22, 2022 08:56PM

I think they get more people on the days they let the HS teams player there though.

Date: September 02, 2022 06:15PM

Not sure at what stage the construction is but there were a few concrete trucks pouring concrete this morning on site

Date: October 19, 2022 11:10AM

Foul poles are up as is the outfield fencing

Date: October 19, 2022 11:44AM

Cop at Lynah

Thanks for the update! If you get a chance to post some photos that would be great.

Date: October 19, 2022 01:12PM

Cop at Lynah

i was kinda hoping for the softball look of poles with no fences.. it leads to more home runs.

Date: October 29, 2022 11:13AM

New baseball stadium to be named Booth Field.

Cornell’s new baseball stadium on Ellis Hollow Road will be called Booth Field, honoring Richard L. “Rich” Booth ’82 for his extraordinary leadership and generosity – much of it anonymous – over the last four decades.

The Cornell Board of Trustees approved the naming of the new field earlier this year. Hoy Field, where Cornell’s baseball team has played for 100 years, at the corner of Hoy and Campus roads, is being replaced by a state-of-the-art academic building for the Cornell Ann S. Bowers College of Computing and Information Science. Booth Field is expected to be completed in time for the start of the 2023 season.

[news.cornell.edu]

Re: Cornell's new baseball stadium - "Booth Field"
Date: November 07, 2022 05:39PM

The turf has been put down on the playing field

Date: November 07, 2022 06:38PM

Sorry, "turf"? Pre-millennial, that meant grass. Now, if you're younger, I believe turf means "articial turf." Sort of a retronym thing. (As in, now you have to say "corded drill" to be clear.) William Safire, he of the NYT On Language column, did one on on retronyms -- corded phone, cloth diaper and, because he was a gentlemanly conservative but a conservative still, "English language radio."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2022 02:45PM

billhoward
because he was a gentlemanly conservative

Well. Also a speechwriter for Nixon.

But compared to them today he was John Fucking Milton.

Date: November 12, 2022 12:52PM

billhoward
Sorry, "turf"? Pre-millennial, that meant grass. Now, if you're younger, I believe turf means "articial turf." Sort of a retronym thing. (As in, now you have to say "corded drill" to be clear.) William Safire, he of the NYT On Language column, did one on on retronyms -- corded phone, cloth diaper and, because he was a gentlemanly conservative but a conservative still, "English language radio."

Technically speaking, wouldn't "grass turf" be the retronym?

Forgive me: I studied engineering, and so, I get hung up on technicalities.

Date: November 12, 2022 01:45PM

Swampy
billhoward

Technically speaking, wouldn't "grass turf" be the retronym?

Forgive me: I studied engineering, and so, I get hung up on technicalities.
"Grass turf" would both be a retronym and a clarifier for millenians and Gen Z (my gawd, one of them just got elected to the Congress at 25) that this is the grassy, rabbits eat it, variant of the chemically spun sports field covering.

Date: November 16, 2022 11:14AM

billhoward
Sorry, "turf"? Pre-millennial, that meant grass. Now, if you're younger, I believe turf means "articial turf." Sort of a retronym thing.

As a Gen-Xer, when I hear "turf" I think artificial turf (or perhaps even Astroturf). Grass is grass (or "natural grass";). But then I'm young enough that the other use of "grass" had fallen out of use before my peer group started using it.

Date: November 16, 2022 11:45AM

imo it should be boothe field. yes, i know what sport he played.

Date: November 16, 2022 12:47PM

I believe the name of the field surface is FieldTurf

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 25, 2024 07:28PM

It's been awhile since anyone posted on the new Baseball facility. It's 100% complete and is very very nice.

Posted by: Chris H82 (172.56.201.---)
Date: January 25, 2024 07:36PM

Photos?

Date: January 26, 2024 01:51PM

Chris H82
Photos?
I keep meaning to snap a photo when we drive past Game Farm Road (a bad name if it makes people think we're in the middle of farm country) but it's not exactly right alongside the highway. Hopefully there will be stately trees at the new sports facility in a decade or two. I wonder if there's room to be buried among the trees, outside the stadium.

Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 26, 2024 02:07PM

Chris H82
Photos?
It seems perfectly cromulent.

Let's just restart Cornell baseball and call this year 00.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2024 03:09PM

billhoward
Chris H82
Photos?
I keep meaning to snap a photo when we drive past Game Farm Road (a bad name if it makes people think we're in the middle of farm country) but it's not exactly right alongside the highway. Hopefully there will be stately trees at the new sports facility in a decade or two. I wonder if there's room to be buried among the trees, outside the stadium.

well it is next to the game farm though

Date: January 26, 2024 04:23PM

Swampy
With luck, including great coaches and continued stellar recruiting, and assuming Ithaca weather does its part, there will be a couple of indoor games per year, and the lines to get tickets will resemble those to get season hockey tickets during the late sixties and early seventies.
The early-season games draw a couple hundred people. But I'm unclear if limited seating means 100 or 1,000. If 500 could get in, that might be adequate unless it's a top-five team. Maybe they could put a standing-only deck 10 feet above the playing to get more in. But ... going back to Lynah Rink era, Cornell has gone for cost-effective sports facilities and some would call Cornell cheap.

Connor Buczek '15 AD '30 (my hope) describes the spectator accommodations as "minimal."

Date: January 26, 2024 06:28PM

billhoward
Swampy
With luck, including great coaches and continued stellar recruiting, and assuming Ithaca weather does its part, there will be a couple of indoor games per year, and the lines to get tickets will resemble those to get season hockey tickets during the late sixties and early seventies.
The early-season games draw a couple hundred people. But I'm unclear if limited seating means 100 or 1,000. If 500 could get in, that might be adequate unless it's a top-five team. Maybe they could put a standing-only deck 10 feet above the playing to get more in. But ... going back to Lynah Rink era, Cornell has gone for cost-effective sports facilities and some would call Cornell cheap.

Connor Buczek '15 AD '30 (my hope) describes the spectator accommodations as "minimal."

Wrong thread Bill^^^. Anyway, I too would love to see some photos of the new baseball complex next time someone gets a chance to take a few and post them here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login