Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lack of support for Cornell sports teams

Posted by dbilmes 
Lack of support for Cornell sports teams
Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 11:05AM

A Cornell student who did crew for three years laments the fact that her fellow students don't support most of the sports teams.
"At many other schools, athletes get great benefits: lots of gear, early access to class signups, even separate dining halls. That’s not the case at Cornell. Being a student-athlete here earns no special privileges; the gear is usually old and reused, and the Ivy League doesn’t provide any kind of scholarships for athletics. More often than not, being an athlete is an academic hindrance. We have to navigate exams and assignments around race schedules, coordinating with our professors and coaches in an effort to survive the semester."

Re: Lack of support for Cornell sports teams
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 01:09PM

dbilmes
A Cornell student who did crew for three years laments the fact that her fellow students don't support most of the sports teams.
"At many other schools, athletes get great benefits: lots of gear, early access to class signups, even separate dining halls. That’s not the case at Cornell. Being a student-athlete here earns no special privileges; the gear is usually old and reused, and the Ivy League doesn’t provide any kind of scholarships for athletics. More often than not, being an athlete is an academic hindrance. We have to navigate exams and assignments around race schedules, coordinating with our professors and coaches in an effort to survive the semester."
Don't know much about the "gear" issue, but everything else is how I'd have it.

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 01:40PM

It sounds like she is complaining about the financial support for Ivy athletics not the fan support. As a student, I didn't even know where crew races took place. As an alum and Ithaca resident, I enjoyed heading to the Inlet to cheer along with the kids' parents and siblings....

Date: February 15, 2022 02:05PM

dag14
It sounds like she is complaining about the financial support for Ivy athletics not the fan support. As a student, I didn't even know where crew races took place. As an alum and Ithaca resident, I enjoyed heading to the Inlet to cheer along with the kids' parents and siblings....
Perhaps I picked the wrong paragraph from the article to put with my initial post. She's complaining about the lack of attendance by fellow students at most athletic contests, as well as the fact that she perceived a bias toward many of the Cornell student/athletes by their fellow students during the pandemic, as she claims they were unfairly blamed for spreading COVID. I would suggest reading her opinion column before jumping to any conclusions.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.net.cia.gov)
Date: February 15, 2022 03:18PM

dbilmes
FFS. And they say hippies whine.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 03:18PM

dbilmes
dag14
Perhaps I picked the wrong paragraph from the article to put with my initial post. She's complaining about the lack of attendance by fellow students at most athletic contests, as well as the fact that she perceived a bias toward many of the Cornell student/athletes by their fellow students during the pandemic, as she claims they were unfairly blamed for spreading COVID. I would suggest reading her opinion column before jumping to any conclusions.

I was wondering about that — do students not go to wrestling? Because otherwise the attendance is pretty solid, right? (I probably went to a couple of wrestling duals as a student and really enjoyed them.)

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 03:21PM

dag14

I got to ride in the coaches’ boat once, and seeing a race from that perspective was really fun.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2022 04:29PM

Weder

I was wondering about that — do students not go to wrestling? Because otherwise the attendance is pretty solid, right? (I probably went to a couple of wrestling duals as a student and really enjoyed them.)
more townies than students tbh but i think that's true in the big 10 too.

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2022 01:49PM

Sometimes universities provide incentives to students to attend athletic events. At UNC, students who go to volleyball games, gymnastics meets, women's athletic events, crew races, etc. collect "points" that give them priority for seating at basketball games. At least this was true 10-15 years ago when a friend was an undergrad there. A brilliant way to fill the seats at the less popular events.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-197-204.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2022 02:37PM

dag14
Sometimes universities provide incentives to students to attend athletic events....

Pizza and free chewing gum at Colgate? We used to have free candy until the geniuses at Taylor Hall got involved.

Posted by: cu155 (162.253.129.---)
Date: February 16, 2022 08:34PM

An entrepreneurial student could solve the crew attendance problem easily by setting up a big screen at the farmers market and stream live from a drone following the boats. They could cooperate with vendors at the farmers' market to sell tickets that offer discounts, or Boathouse Grill (if they are still there) or Cornell could run 'crew and brew' events from the docks but I realize none of this would likely happen.

As for school support for athletes maybe it's changed since I was rowing but they did allow us to call ahead to keep a dining hall open for practices running late and we were in fact able to schedule classes ahead of gen-pop though maybe that was college dependent and worked for A&S and not others.... so not rolling in hookers & blow but bad either. We even got cookies with our Short Stop Deli bus lunches!

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2022 11:20PM

Lame. So sorry your “gear” was from last season and busy students don’t care to watch crew or equestrian, while half the world starves. You’ll be fine

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 17, 2022 09:39AM

How many people watch crew other than close friends and Alums for almost a whole career of racing.

Its no different than many other college sports.. Im sure squash has a huge following. club hockey,

The womans hockey team when #1 still had a few hundred people showing up many games.

and Crew is the hardest sport to really watch if not on TV..

Date: February 17, 2022 10:19AM

upprdeck
How many people watch crew other than close friends and Alums for almost a whole career of racing.

Its no different than many other college sports.. Im sure squash has a huge following. club hockey,

The womans hockey team when #1 still had a few hundred people showing up many games.

Back in the day, the viewing train that followed the race was packed. And men wore three-piece suits and bowlers or derbies or straw hats to baseball games. Today: What's a derby?

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: February 17, 2022 11:02AM

Al DeFlorio
upprdeck

Back in the day, the viewing train that followed the race was packed. And men wore three-piece suits and bowlers or derbies or straw hats to baseball games. Today: What's a derby?

Kindly...drop the vernacular.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2022 11:17AM

Al DeFlorio
upprdeck

I would have attended this when I was in college!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: February 17, 2022 12:27PM

Al DeFlorio
Back in the day, the viewing train that followed the race was packed.

Back in the day, betting on crew races was widespread; thus, trains and breathless newspaper accounts.

Date: February 17, 2022 02:47PM

Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio

Back in the day, betting on crew races was widespread; thus, trains and breathless newspaper accounts.
Now that sports gambling has become legal in so many states, and millions of people have gambling apps on their devices, perhaps this will spark a resurgence in betting on crew and the crowds will return.

Date: February 17, 2022 03:04PM

dbilmes
Scersk '97
Al DeFlorio

Now that sports gambling has become legal in so many states, and millions of people have gambling apps on their devices, perhaps this will spark a resurgence in betting on crew and the crowds will return.
I'd bet against that, but I don't have the app.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2022 04:18PM

Al DeFlorio
Back in the day is now more like back in the century.

I didn't know a drone followed the shells. That's cool. Makes sense. Maybe put a GoPro on the jockey, too. Sorry, cox.

Can women be the coxwains of the men's shells? That'd offset a couple more guys on the men's football roster. As I believe it is with football trainers.

Date: February 17, 2022 04:28PM

billhoward
Can women be the coxwains of the men's shells?
Many are.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2022 09:32AM

Al DeFlorio

Back in the day, the viewing train that followed the race was packed . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2022 09:35AM by George64.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 18, 2022 10:54AM

of course back in the day there were only about 2-3 sports to watch and no tv video games.. people turned out huge for bike races as well.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2022 11:20PM

upprdeck

Back when I was visiting Cambridge as a graduate student, some of us went to London for the Boat Race. Four hours of standing around in a huge crowd for two 40-second intervals when the boats went by. (The second-string boats from each school also had a race.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login