Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

State of Cornell Athletics

Posted by scoop85 
State of Cornell Athletics
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 06:15PM

With men’s soccer losing 2-1 at Princeton, it seems as if Cornell will fail to win a single Ivy championship in any fall sport, men’s or women’s. And even Cornell women’s hockey just got swept at Harvard and Dartmouth. While the pathetic state of Cornell football gets most of the attention, the overall state of our athletic program is as poor as I can recall in the 40 years I’ve been following Big Red sports.

Certainly a far cry from the glory days of 2010 when we had multiple Ivy champs and a Sweet 16 hoops team. Seems Cornell athletics is overdue for a big shakeup.

Re: State of Cornell Athletics
Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-198-15.myvzw.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 06:18PM

scoop85
With men’s soccer losing 2-1 at Princeton, it seems as if Cornell will fail to win a single Ivy championship in any fall sport, men’s or women’s. And even Cornell women’s hockey just got swept at Harvard and Dartmouth. While the pathetic state of Cornell football gets most of the attention, the overall state of our athletic program is as poor as I can recall in the 40 years I’ve been following Big Red sports.

Certainly a far cry from the glory days of 2010 when we had multiple Ivy champs and a Sweet 16 hoops team. Seems Cornell athletics is overdue for a big shakeup.

Omg thank you so much for starting this thread. Im in so much pain

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2021 06:37PM

After enduring decades of losing in football (including a 44 game losing streak) Columbia finally brought in an outside consultant to examine the athletic department and make recommendations. That led to Columbia improving their athletic facilities (including an indoor practice facility which they now have), and the hiring of an accomplished football coach in Al Bagnoli. It maybe time for Cornell to consider the same.

Date: October 30, 2021 06:41PM

Ken711
After enduring decades of losing in football (including a 44 game losing streak) Columbia finally brought in an outside consultant to examine the athletic department and make recommendations. That led to Columbia improving their athletic facilities (including an indoor practice facility which they now have), and the hiring of an accomplished football coach in Al Bagnoli. It maybe time for Cornell to consider the same.

Or they could get rid of athletics altogether and focus more on academics!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 06:44PM

blackwidow
Ken711

I’ve suspected Martha Pollock was trolling this forum!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2021 06:52PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 30, 2021 06:50PM

blackwidow
Ken711

You do realize the "Ivy League" was based on a common athletic conference goal. Chances of giving up athletics and dropping are zero. :-D

Date: October 30, 2021 06:54PM

Ken711
blackwidow
Ken711

You do realize the "Ivy League" was based on a common athletic conference goal. Chances of giving up athletics and dropping are zero. :-D

Good thing im a nobody :'( after so much suffering coming from me caring though, ive made it my lifelong mission to give it my best shot !

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-201.myvzw.com)
Date: October 30, 2021 09:01PM

Ken711

Generally agree but I think the Ivy league’s ridiculous response to COVID last year screwed a bunch of our teams. Men’s hockey, women’s hockey, men’s lacrosse all heading towards championship level seasons and now all those teams seem to be rebuilding

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2021 09:08AM

With the hockey teams, at least, don't the rosters look fairly close to what they would have been this year anyway? I'm not aware of any recruiting losses. Obviously, not playing last season has consequences in terms of player development. (And according to Neutral Zone, the Cornell women have next year's No. 1 recruiting class in the country.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2021 01:46PM

In terms of change: Andy Noel is in the home stretch of his Cornell career and some of the change others clamor for might await a change in leadership. He's been at Cornell since 1974 (except early 1990s), is a 1972 Franklin & Marshall grad (I keep forgetting he's not a Cornell grad), and is now getting into his early 70s.

The longest tenured Cornell AD, Bob Kane '34, was full-time AD 1944-1971, then he moved upstairs as dean of athletics for five years as he became more and more involved with the U.S. Olympic Committee. Others have said Kane was Cornell's best AD ever. That may well be, if you leave out the five years 1971-76 as dean of athletics, when basketball turned into a highly visible shitshow: players walking off the team, a replacement coach brought in to calm tensions who inflamed them, was fired mid-season, and the same coach getting his wish to make Sports Illustrated, only it was for a story headlined "Low In Cayuga's Waters."

Does David Jeff Archer fit into Cornell's plans for Cornell athletics going forward, administration if not coaching? Interesting thought. If and when the AD's positions opens up, there will be significant pressure to consider women and people of color. I believe the ADs at Brown, Penn and Yale are female now.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2021 10:45PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2021 07:18PM

There will be more than pressure for an equity hire, it'll be a mandate
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2021 10:29PM by Cop at Lynah.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2021 07:24PM

billhoward
In terms of change: Andy Noel is in the home stretch of his Cornell career and some of the change others clamor for might await a change in leadership. He's been at Cornell since 1974 (except early 1990s), is a 1972 Franklin & Marshall grad (I keep forgetting he's not a Cornell grad), and is now getting into his early 70s.

The longest tenured Cornell AD, Bob Kane '34, was full-time AD 1944-1971, then he moved upstairs as dean of athletics for five years as he became more and more involved with the U.S. Olympic Committee. Others have said Kane was Cornell's best AD ever. That may well be, if you leave out the five years 1971-76 as dean of athletics, when basketball turned into a highly visible shitshow: players walking off the team, a replacement coach brought in to calm tensions who inflamed them, was fired mid-season, and the same coach getting his wish to make Sports Illustrated, only it was for a story headlined "Low In Cayuga's Waters."

Does Jeff Archer fit into Cornell's plans for Cornell athletics going forward, administration if not coaching? Interesting thought. If and when the AD's positions opens up, there will be significant pressure to consider women and people of color. I believe the ADs at Brown, Penn and Yale are female now.

Neither "Jeff" or David Archer have any business being considered in Cornell's future plans going forward, It's been a dismal failure after 8 straight losing seasons.

Date: October 31, 2021 10:43PM

Cornell athletics has from time to time found positions in the athletics department for coaches who stepped down. At least in the past.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2021 10:58PM by billhoward.

Date: November 01, 2021 09:12AM

billhoward
Cornell athletics has from time to time found positions in the athletics department for coaches who stepped down. At least in the past.

I'm good with that. Just move Archer to an administrative position if he wants to stay at Cornell and relieve him of coaching duties.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2021 10:24PM

Let's see over the last 20 or so years: Pendergast, Knowles, Austin, Archer with only 1 winning season between them and 31 years when they last won a championship. I think a lot more than a "savior coach" is needed. I would like to see Cornell do a deep dive study on why they have such limited success in football.

Date: November 02, 2021 09:18AM

rss77
Let's see over the last 20 or so years: Pendergast, Knowles, Austin, Archer with only 1 winning season between them and 31 years when they last won a championship. I think a lot more than a "savior coach" is needed. I would like to see Cornell do a deep dive study on why they have such limited success in football.

The exact reasoning that led Columbia to do the same in-depth study of their football program.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 02, 2021 10:58AM

Cop at Lynah
There will be more than pressure for an equity hire, it'll be a mandate
wow. crying in advance. impressive.

Date: November 02, 2021 11:24AM

Ken711
rss77
The exact reasoning that led Columbia to do the same in-depth study of their football program.
Columbia is the Ivy school where you'd most like to say: hopeless situation
Cornell is the Ivy school where you'd be most likely to say: given the size of the student body, the breadth of the academic offerings, the fact that football facilities are actually part of the main campus, they're underachievers.

Date: November 02, 2021 11:36AM

billhoward
Ken711
rss77
Columbia is the Ivy school where you'd most like to say: hopeless situation
Cornell is the Ivy school where you'd be most likely to say: given the size of the student body, the breadth of the academic offerings, the fact that football facilities are actually part of the main campus, they're underachievers.

Hopeless underachievers and perpetual losers under this coaching staff.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 02, 2021 12:57PM

rank the schools by how hard it is to get kids they want to recruit into the school to play a sport.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2021 04:04PM

upprdeck
rank the schools by how hard it is to get kids they want to recruit into the school to play a sport.

I think I'll pass.

On second thought I'll punt lest I fumble and everyone piles on.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2021 10:52PM

upprdeck

A lot of this depends on the coach & the administration. If athletes had to meet the same standards as a school's overall selectivity, HYP would be perpetual doormats. Moreover, you would have low variability among sports with any given school.

But Cornell has perpetual excellence in men's hockey and lacrosse. And in recent years, women's hockey. Men's soccer is also quite respectable. The abysmal states of football and basketball has to do with coaches, alumni networks, recruiting (closely related to alumni networks), tradition, and how much the administration (esp. the AD) cares.

Date: November 03, 2021 09:06AM

Swampy
upprdeck

A lot of this depends on the coach & the administration. If athletes had to meet the same standards as a school's overall selectivity, HYP would be perpetual doormats. Moreover, you would have low variability among sports with any given school.

But Cornell has perpetual excellence in men's hockey and lacrosse. And in recent years, women's hockey. Men's soccer is also quite respectable. The abysmal states of football and basketball has to do with coaches, alumni networks, recruiting (closely related to alumni networks), tradition, and how much the administration (esp. the AD) cares.

Spot on Swampy!

Date: November 03, 2021 10:35AM

Swampy
...But Cornell has perpetual excellence in men's hockey and lacrosse. And in recent years, women's hockey. Men's soccer is also quite respectable. The abysmal states of football and basketball has to do with coaches, alumni networks, recruiting (closely related to alumni networks), tradition, and how much the administration (esp. the AD) cares.
The mark of a good athletic program would be the overall winning percentage of all sports, and hopefully a relatively equivalent W-L ratio for men's and women's sports. That and the number of sports played, including ones that may not be NCAA sports: polo, sailing, maybe ultimate at the club level. The mark of a great program would be league championships and NCAA tournaments.
Actually, I'd say a good school would also have a robust intramural and club program, as well as good fit-rec centers in convenient locations. The fact that we could play pickup hockey at Lynah Rink or Cass Park (gad, that was cold) late at night made me love Cornell all the more.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2021 11:01AM

billhoward
Swampy
...But Cornell has perpetual excellence in men's hockey and lacrosse. And in recent years, women's hockey. Men's soccer is also quite respectable. The abysmal states of football and basketball has to do with coaches, alumni networks, recruiting (closely related to alumni networks), tradition, and how much the administration (esp. the AD) cares.
The mark of a good athletic program would be the overall winning percentage of all sports, and hopefully a relatively equivalent W-L ratio for men's and women's sports. That and the number of sports played, including ones that may not be NCAA sports: polo, sailing, maybe ultimate at the club level. The mark of a great program would be league championships and NCAA tournaments.
Actually, I'd say a good school would also have a robust intramural and club program, as well as good fit-rec centers in convenient locations. The fact that we could play pickup hockey at Lynah Rink or Cass Park (gad, that was cold) late at night made me love Cornell all the more.
If fitness/rec centers are part of athletics than my general anger at Cornell for nickel and diming me to have an extra charge for my son to use these facilities was misplaced (although plenty of other instances of Cornell nickel/diming)

Date: November 03, 2021 06:26PM

Swampy
upprdeck

Imagine if the coaches could get the kids they actually had high up on most of their recruiting lists..

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2021 08:39PM

cornell recruits best in the sports where a lot of the athletes are white people from small towns in cold climates because ithaca is a gloomy wasteland nine months out of the year and it's in the sticks all twelve

Date: November 03, 2021 09:16PM

ugarte
cornell recruits best in the sports where a lot of the athletes are white people from small towns in cold climates because ithaca is a gloomy wasteland nine months out of the year and it's in the sticks all twelve

Kind of like Dartmouth in Hanover. :-D

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2021 02:26PM

I’m curious whether Cornell’s test-optional policy (in place through the Fall 2024 admissions cycle) will significantly change the recruited athlete profile. For the Cornell Class of 2025, 60% of enrolling students submitted an SAT or ACT score.

[admissions.cornell.edu]

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2021 03:42PM

Weder
I’m curious whether Cornell’s test-optional policy (in place through the Fall 2024 admissions cycle) will significantly change the recruited athlete profile. For the Cornell Class of 2025, 60% of enrolling students submitted an SAT or ACT score.

[admissions.cornell.edu]

I just scanned the Cornell Class of 2025 admission and enrollment statistics [admissions.cornell.edu]. Really very impressive!

But, Housing and Dinning?

“Any Person . . . Any Study,” except, perhaps, spelling!

Date: November 05, 2021 09:48PM

Was at the dome last week and they had a whole list of things they were celebrating. One was the Colege of something or other after spelling it College in the line above..

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2021 04:49PM

blackwidow
Ken711

I would be for this if they exempted hockey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login