Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Football 2021

Posted by dbilmes 
Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Cornell Football 2021
Posted by: underskill (204.194.190.---)
Date: November 13, 2021 05:03PM

Seems like the coach is just lipstick on a pig unless the admin is really prepared to invest in the program.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2021 05:16PM

Trotsky
Speaking of long falls, Cornell loses at Hangover 41-6. Total yards were 493 - 181.

Perhaps a new approach is indicated.

Yes, perhaps

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2021 05:41PM

Ken711 really hates Archer hahaha

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2021 07:56PM

Trotsky
Speaking of long falls, Cornell loses at Hangover 41-6. Total yards were 493 - 181.

C'mon, don't sell this team short. They scored 7.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2021 08:24PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky

C'mon, don't sell this team short. They scored 7.
They got outscored by the hockey team in under 2 periods.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2021 08:37PM

CU2007
Ken711 really hates Archer hahaha

How can you hate a coach with a .266 winning percentage over 9 seasons. rock

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2021 09:35PM

We’ll, look at the bright side. Tonight when I asked Alexa what the score was for the Cornell-Dartmouth football game, she said Dartmouth had scored 14 points in the fourth quarter to win 17-14 — not nearly as bad as in the universe in which most of us live.

Let’s just move to the metaverse, and the football team will become almost respectable.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2021 10:33AM

[www.sportsbetting.ag] site lays odds on football coaches being fired (lower +number is higher odds of it happening) and our Mr. Archer is not among them. Most likely to depart is Dan Mullen from Florida; Dino Babers of Syracuse also makes the top 10. I suspect the bookies only track NCAA Division (Serious) I.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: November 18, 2021 11:13AM

confusing. Is this from pre-season stuff? Frost just a big commitment to come back and moved coaches all around.. babers I would put the chance at less than 5%

How can Collins be on the list after 3 yrs?

Diaz/Sark/Mullen are on the hot seat

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 18, 2021 12:36PM

billhoward
[www.sportsbetting.ag] site lays odds on football coaches being fired (lower +number is higher odds of it happening) and our Mr. Archer is not among them. Most likely to depart is Dan Mullen from Florida; Dino Babers of Syracuse also makes the top 10. I suspect the bookies only track NCAA Division (Serious) I.

Meaningless list as it only pertains to FBS schools. Archer has belonged on a "to be fired" list years ago, and finishing with at best a 3-7 record this year, and an Ivy League record of 8 straight losing seasons by the same coach, says as much.

Re: Cornell Football 2021 Columbia L34-26
Date: November 19, 2021 02:07PM

Prognosticators have the Lions a 6-7 point favorite. At Cornell. Game time 1 pm. Good luck to the 51 seniors/fifth-years for enduring so much.

So much is riding on this game: the chance in 2021 to capture both coveted trophies, the Trustees' Cup (Penn) and Empire State Bowl (Columbia) ... and to have a winning record in its last 3 games. This game is winnable and could lift the Red from a 3-way tie for last into 6th place should Brown (vs. Dartmouth) and Penn (vs. Princeton) fall.

Columbia overcomes a 13-0 Cornell start. Penalties, interceptions, fumbles, inopportune sacks on both sides. Cornell had a chance in the second half, but getting picked off twice in the red zone (first for a TD return but called back by a Columbia foul) on back to back plays, well, that's kind of hard to overcome. Final 34-28.

Cornell finishes 2-8, 1-6 in the Ivy League. Dartmouth and Princeton tie for the title. Cornell, Penn and Brown tie for 6th, 7th or 8th, take your pick.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 04:49PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell Football 2021 Columbia
Date: November 19, 2021 03:01PM

this season has been more fun than i expected, tbh, despite the frustrating loss to brown. there are clear haves and have-nots in the league but hoo boy was it fun to have a real good qb (even if he played in a rotation).

Re: Cornell Football 2021 Columbia
Date: November 19, 2021 03:47PM

billhoward
Prognosticators have the Lions a 6-7 point favorite. At Cornell. Game time 1 pm. Good luck to the 51 seniors/fifth-years for enduring so much.

So much is riding on this game: the chance in 2021 to capture both coveted trophies, the Trustees' Cup (Penn) and Empire State Bowl (Columbia) ... and to have a winning record in its last 3 games. This game is winnable and could lift the Red from a 3-way tie for last into 6th place should Brown (vs. Dartmouth) and Penn (vs. Princeton) fall.

Glass 1/4 full I guess, disregarding the 1-6 start. ;-)

Date: November 20, 2021 01:16PM

Great opening drive for Cornell, up 7-0. Bogus taunting penalty called after the TD when the RB did a backflip in the end zone. He didn't even stick the landing!

Date: November 20, 2021 01:55PM

Two red zone drives stalled by dumb decisions to run wide instead of forward, resulting in losses. On-line is opening holes. Run through them.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2021 02:32PM

Lions tie the game at 13-13. The color combo is nice because both teams are wearing their colored jerseys. And Ithaca in November, a.k.a. Fossil Fuel September, is lovely.

As football teams, both squads look completely inept.

Final game for 51 Cornell seniors.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 02:34PM by Trotsky.

Date: November 20, 2021 02:35PM

Wang throws a couple of picks. Didn't see the first but the second was bad because he underthrew a receiver that had the coverage beat. And as I'm typing, Cornell throws ANOTHER pick in Cornell's territory and Cornell looks to have tacked an unsportsmanlike on top but the penalty on Columbia probably means they won't score but maybe I'll strikethrough this as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 02:37PM by ugarte.

Date: November 20, 2021 03:40PM

We specialize in pass interference penalties. I'm switching to the finish of Yale-Harvard.

Date: November 20, 2021 04:01PM

Nobody wishes Cornell Football ill. But if a current setback leads to future change, this would have been nine years in summary explaining why it finally happens:

The play Cornell ran and fumbled away just before the half, that Columbia scooped up for a TD--except a Cornell knee was down before the fumble--would have summarized the season. That and when Columbia throws uncatchable long passes into the red zone, pass interference calls put Columbia there. Looks as if Columbia covers the spread, too.

Futility In Football actually would be Cornell catching life late in Q4, rolling down into the Columbia red zone, and throws 2 straight interceptions, the first a pick-six return except Columbia on defense was called for--did the announcers really say that, initially?--ineligible receiver.

What is the Cornell-vs.-Columbia record for penalties in a game?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 04:20PM by billhoward.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 05:00PM

billhoward
Nobody wishes Cornell Football ill. But if a current setback leads to future change, this would have been nine years in summary explaining why it finally happens:

The play Cornell ran and fumbled away just before the half, that Columbia scooped up for a TD--except a Cornell knee was down before the fumble--would have summarized the season. That and when Columbia throws uncatchable long passes into the red zone, pass interference calls put Columbia there. Looks as if Columbia covers the spread, too.

Futility In Football actually would be Cornell catching life late in Q4, rolling down into the Columbia red zone, and throws 2 straight interceptions, the first a pick-six return except Columbia on defense was called for--did the announcers really say that, initially?--ineligible receiver.

What is the Cornell-vs.-Columbia record for penalties in a game?

Time for a complete overhaul of the program. Archer’s eight-year record: 21 and 59. A few bright spots, however — Wang, Stebbins etc. The seniors must be breathing a sigh of relief. All of these guys deserved a lot better experience than what they received.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 05:31PM

Wouldn't it be a riot to hire LSU's cajun coach Ed Orgeron to revive us? When he turned Ole Miss around years ago he started his first team meeting by taking off his shirt and challenging everyone in the room to a fight.

Or maybe ex-Texas coach Steve Sarkisian. Texas is paying him about 32 million to not coach them this year, so he doesn't need the money.

Date: November 20, 2021 05:55PM

TimV
Wouldn't it be a riot to hire LSU's cajun coach Ed Orgeron to revive us? When he turned Ole Miss around years ago he started his first team meeting by taking off his shirt and challenging everyone in the room to a fight.

Or maybe ex-Texas coach Steve Sarkisian. Texas is paying him about 32 million to not coach them this year, so he doesn't need the money.

Sarkisian is Texas’ current coach, but maybe not for long after 6 straight losses

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-174-197-203.myvzw.com)
Date: November 20, 2021 06:01PM

This darkness got to give.

Date: November 20, 2021 06:46PM

It's been nearly a decade of losing under David Archer. Results matter in sports, even in the Ivy League, and Archer's coaching record speaks for himself. A career 21-59 and a .262 career winning percentage. It cannot be spun or looked at any other way. Cornell football deserves better!

Date: November 22, 2021 11:18AM

Andy is out of the office until Dec. 2 on vacation. Anyone who wants to email him and Ryan Lombardi the Vice President for Student & Campus Life about finally replacing David Archer like I did, their email addresses are below:

Jan16@cornell.edu
Ryan.lombardi@cornell.edu

Posted by: Robb (107.72.164.---)
Date: November 22, 2021 11:34AM

Ken711
billhoward

Meaningless list as it only pertains to FBS schools. Archer has belonged on a "to be fired" list years ago, and finishing with at best a 3-7 record this year, and an Ivy League record of 8 straight losing seasons by the same coach, says as much.
if Archer were not on a similar list for FCS schools, it could only be seen as a statement that the oddsmakers are as cynical as we are about our AD (department or director, take your pick) having the stones to make the move.

Date: November 22, 2021 11:35AM

He's Jan16? Sounds like a South American revolutionary holiday: The Glorious Rising Of The Peasants And The Burros Day.

Date: November 22, 2021 11:38AM

Andy Noel's legacy may well be setting the framework for the move of Cornell athletics a) farther from main campus and b) onto more spacious fields (but with only 50-100 parking spaces?).

Date: November 22, 2021 12:56PM

billhoward
He's Jan16? Sounds like a South American revolutionary holiday: The Glorious Rising Of The Peasants And The Burros Day.

Jan16 is also Andy.noel@cornell.edu btw.

Date: November 22, 2021 01:02PM

Robb
Ken711
billhoward

if Archer were not on a similar list for FCS schools, it could only be seen as a statement that the oddsmakers are as cynical as we are about our AD (department or director, take your pick) having the stones to make the move.

I agree. On the basis of his record alone, he should have been replaced after 5 years. Is firing a Cornell alumnus that difficult or does Archer hold some incriminating evidence on the athletic department. whistle

Date: November 22, 2021 10:45PM

Ken711
Is firing a Cornell alumnus that difficult or does Archer hold some incriminating evidence on the athletic department. whistle
Maybe it just comes down to Archer being a popular guy among the donors. I'd think the instant the tap shuts off he's done. There must be a reason the type of old fart who still supports Cornell football likes the guy.

Date: November 23, 2021 12:00AM

Trotsky
Maybe it just comes down to Archer being a popular guy among the donors. I'd think the instant the tap shuts off he's done. There must be a reason the type of old fart who still supports Cornell football likes the guy.
Annoying a school's football alumni association, many of them supporters of the sport as well as sources of summer internships that don't pay minimum wage, is a bad thing for a coach's longevity.

Weren't we ready to throw Brian Earl to the wolves after dropping from almost .500 to 7-20 in 2019-2020 ... and now he had Cornell on a 4-0 start plus a good loss to Penn State.

Date: November 23, 2021 08:34AM

billhoward
Trotsky
Annoying a school's football alumni association, many of them supporters of the sport as well as sources of summer internships that don't pay minimum wage, is a bad thing for a coach's longevity.

Weren't we ready to throw Brian Earl to the wolves after dropping from almost .500 to 7-20 in 2019-2020 ... and now he had Cornell on a 4-0 start plus a good loss to Penn State.

Ummm...Earl is in his 6th season and had a .500 season in only his 3rd season. Archer is in his 9th season and has failed to even reach .500 in any of his seasons! Archer's career .262 winning percentage is beyond awful. David Archer has to go.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 09:14AM

Football alums are not happy with the current state of the program. The Cornell Football Association disbanded a couple of years ago. On the CFA website, the Chairman wrote “Results matter!”

Date: November 23, 2021 05:59PM

I have heard that Football Fan still gives Cornell way more money than Hockey Fan, as difficult as that it to comprehend after 55 years of hockey success and football ineptitude.

That's gonna end sometime, and if the demographic is 70+ that sometime is really soon.

Date: November 23, 2021 06:17PM

Trotsky
I have heard that Football Fan still gives Cornell way more money than Hockey Fan, as difficult as that it to comprehend after 55 years of hockey success and football ineptitude.

That's gonna end sometime, and if the demographic is 70+ that sometime is really soon.

crowds are about equal for the 2 sports n04 but when fball is good they get 4-5x as many people. fball still a much larger sports base and boosters follow their sport most likely.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 06:54PM

Trotsky

Here’s a one-day snapshot of how all the sports teams did on the university’s annual giving day this spring: [givingday.cornell.edu]

Men’s hockey raised $64K from 189 donations and football got $54K from 98 donations.

I don’t have the emails from Andy Noel anymore, but IIRC the football team fell significantly short of its goal for 2020-21. (The football team has a much larger goal than any other team.) I think men’s hockey was right on its goal of maybe $150K or $200K?

I’m not sure if that represents the full scope of donations to the athletics department.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2021 06:55PM by Weder.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2021 07:31PM

NY Giants fired OC Jason Garrett today. Jason *is* familiar with IVY League footbal and after dealing with the whims / control of Jerry Jones and then the NY city media, maybe he needs a sabbatical of sorts. Come to idyllic Ithaca, re-group and help a horrible program. Maybe????

Date: November 23, 2021 09:41PM

Rita
NY Giants fired OC Jason Garrett today. Jason *is* familiar with IVY League footbal and after dealing with the whims / control of Jerry Jones and then the NY city media, maybe he needs a sabbatical of sorts. Come to idyllic Ithaca, re-group and help a horrible program. Maybe????
Be a good choice to take over the reins at Princeton if current coach Bob Surace (also a Princeton alum) was screwing up by the numbers and Garrett wanted to live a quality life with Old Nassau for a decade until he turns 65.

Date: November 23, 2021 10:06PM

Rita

Jason Voorhees from the Halloween movies couldn't do a worse job than David Archer has been doing.

Re: Cornell Football 2021 - All-Ivy
Date: November 24, 2021 09:32AM

Cornell placed 3 each on the All-Ivy first and second team:
WR, Thomas Glover, senior
OL, Hunter Nourzad, senior
LB, Jake Stebbins, junior
Second team:
OL, Jack Burns, senior
LB, Lance Blass, 5th year
CB, Michael Irons, senior

The All-Ivy football team

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Joe Green, Columbia (So., QB – Sammamish, Wash.)

COACH OF THE YEAR
Buddy Teevens, Dartmouth

FIRST TEAM ALL-IVY^
OFFENSE
Hunter Nourzad, Cornell (Sr., OL – Marietta, Ga.)
Evan Hecimovich, Dartmouth (5th, OL – Lisle, Ill.)
Jake Guidone, Dartmouth (5th, OL – East Walpole, Mass.)
Spencer Rolland, Harvard (Sr., OL – Burnsville, Minn.)
Henry Byrd, Princeton (Sr., OL – Nashville, Tenn.)
Reily Radosevich, Princeton (Sr., OL – Manalapan, N.J.)
EJ Perry, Brown (Sr., QB – Andover, Mass.)
Dante Miller, Columbia (Sr., RB – Rockingham, N.C.)
Nick Howard, Dartmouth (Jr., QB – Green Bay, Wis.)
* Aaron Shampklin, Harvard (Jr., RB – Paramount, Calif.)
Collin Eaddy, Princeton (Sr., RB – Raleigh, N.C.)
Thomas Glover, Cornell (Sr., WR – Pasadena, Calif.)
* Jacob Birmelin, Princeton (Sr., WR – Royal Palm Beach, Fla.)
Carson Bobo, Princeton (Sr., TE – Birmingham, Ala.)
JJ Howland, Yale (Sr., TE – Fiskdale, Mass.)

DEFENSE
Chris Smith, Harvard (Jr., DL – Detroit, Mich.)
Jacob Sykes, Harvard (Jr., DL – Kansas City, Mo.)
Prince Emili, Penn (Gr., DL – New City, N.Y.)
Samuel Wright II, Princeton (Sr., DL – Lawrenceville, Ga.)
Clay Patterson, Yale (So., DL – Frisco, Texas)
Jake Stebbins, Cornell (Jr., LB – Cranberry Township, Pa.)
Jalen Mackie, Dartmouth (Sr., LB – Miramar, Fla.)
Jordan Hill, Harvard (Sr., LB – Silver Spring, Md.)
Jack McGowan, Harvard (Sr., LB – Canton, Mass.)
Brian O'Neill, Penn (Gr., LB – Roseland, N.J.)
* Jeremiah Tyler, Princeton (Sr., LB – Detroit, Mich.)
James Johnson, Princeton (Sr., LB – Moorestown, N.J.)
John Dean, Yale (Sr., LB – Wrentham, Mass.)
Ben Mathiasmeier, Columbia (Sr., DB – Katy, Texas)
Isaiah Johnson, Dartmouth (Sr., CB – Beverly Hills, Mich.)
Alex Washington, Harvard (So., CB – Hoover, Ala.)
Trevor Forbes, Princeton (Sr., DB – Memphis, Tenn.)
Rodney Thomas II, Yale (Sr., DB – Pittsburgh, Pa.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Jonah Lipel, Harvard (Jr., K – Tarzana, Calif.)
Will Powers, Princeton (Jr., P – Plano, Texas)
Michael Roussos, Columbia (Sr., RS – New Port Richey, Fla.)

SECOND TEAM ALL-IVY^
OFFENSE
Chad Broome-Webster, Brown (Sr., OL – Orlando, Fla.)
Tyler Worrell, Columbia (Sr., OL – Katy, Texas)
Jack Burns, Cornell (Sr., OL – Kansas City, Kan.)
John Paul Flores, Dartmouth (Sr., OL – Arlington, Texas)
Trevor Radosevich, Penn (Sr., OL – Englishtown, N.J.)
David Hoffman, Princeton (Sr., OL – Basking Ridge, N.J.)
Derek Kyler, Dartmouth (5th, QB – DeKalb, Ill.)
Aidan Borguet, Harvard (So., RB – Franklinville, N.J.)
Isaiah Malcome, Penn (Gr., RB – Atlanta, Ga.)
Wes Rockett, Brown (Jr., WR – Marblehead, Mass.)
Andrei Iosivas, Princeton (Jr., WR – Honolulu, Hawaii)
Melvin Rouse II, Yale (Sr., WR – East Charlotte, N.C.)
Mason Tipton, Yale (So., WR – Akron, Ohio)
JJ Jones III, Dartmouth (5th, TE – Tracy, Calif.)

DEFENSE
Paul Akere, Columbia (Sr., DL – Carrollton, Texas)
Shane Cokes, Dartmouth (Jr., DL – Dayton, Ohio)
Seth Walter, Dartmouth (5th, DE – Longboat Key, Fla.)
Nate Leskovec, Harvard (So., DL – Solon, Ohio)
Uche Ndukwe, Princeton (Jr., DL – Dedham, Mass.)
Cam Dillon, Columbia (Sr., LB – Findlay, Ohio)
Junior Gafa, Brown (Jr., LB – San Pedro, Calif.)
Scott Valentas, Columbia (Jr., LB –Wichita, Kan.)
Lance Blass, Cornell (5th, LB – Mountaintop, Pa.)
Marques White, Dartmouth (Jr., LB – Glendale, Ariz.)
Michael Irons, Cornell (Sr., CB – McGregor, Texas)
Niko Mermigas, Dartmouth (5th, S – Wexford, Pa.)
James Herring, Harvard (Jr., S – Dallas, Texas)
Jason McCleod, Jr., Penn (Sr., DB – West Palm Beach, Fla.)
Wande Owens , Yale (Jr., DB – Cooksville, Md.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Alex Felkins, Columbia (Jr., K – Tulsa, Okla.)
Jack Bosman, Yale (So., P – San Diego, Calif.)
Melvin Rouse II, Yale (Sr., RS – East Charlotte, N.C.)

HONORABLE MENTION
OFFENSE
Calvin Atkeson, Dartmouth (Sr. OL – Raleigh, N.C.)
Hunt Sparks, Harvard (Sr., OL – Norman, Okla.)
Kiran Amegadjie, Yale (So., OL – Hinsdale, Ill.)
Cameron Warfield, Yale (Sr., OL – Washington, D.C.)
Cole Smith, Princeton (Sr., QB – Knoxville, Tenn.)
Allen Smith, Brown (Sr., RB – Westerville, Ohio)
Ryan Young, Columbia (Sr., RB – Wheaton, Ill.)
Spencer Alston, Yale (Jr., RB – Reston, Va.)
Graham Walker, Brown (So., WR – Hinesburg, Vt.)
Paxton Scott, Dartmouth (So., WR – Dallas, Texas)
Dylan Classi, Princeton (Sr., WR – Englewood Cliffs, N.J.)
Robbie Mangas, Dartmouth (Sr., TE – Chantilly, Va.)

DEFENSE
Jake Heimlicher, Penn (Sr., DL – Aurora, Colo.)
Micah Morris, Penn (Sr., DL – Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Reid Nickerson, Yale (Jr., DL – Friendswood, Texas)
Jordan Colbert, Columbia (Sr., DB – Washington, D.C.)
Will Allen, Columbia (Sr., DB – Pembroke Pines, Fla.)
Logan Thut, Cornell (5th, S – Mantua, Ohio)
Delan Stallworth, Princeton (Sr., DB – Cincinnati, Ohio)
Miles Oldacre, Yale (Jr., DB – Spring, Texas)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Connor Davis, Dartmouth (Sr., K – Ocala, Fla.)
Drew Schmid, Columbia (Sr., P – San Diego, Calif.)
Jamal Cooney, Dartmouth (Jr., RS— Miami, Fla.)

^ First and Second Teams Expanded Due to Ties in Voting
* Unanimous Selection

Ivy League press release: [ivyleague.com]
Offensive and defensive POTY named Dec. 13

Date: November 24, 2021 02:48PM

Weder
Trotsky

Here’s a one-day snapshot of how all the sports teams did on the university’s annual giving day this spring: [givingday.cornell.edu]

Men’s hockey raised $64K from 189 donations and football got $54K from 98 donations.

I don’t have the emails from Andy Noel anymore, but IIRC the football team fell significantly short of its goal for 2020-21. (The football team has a much larger goal than any other team.) I think men’s hockey was right on its goal of maybe $150K or $200K?

I’m not sure if that represents the full scope of donations to the athletics department.

From that chart, sprint football got almost as much as hockey and football combined. That is... counter-intuitive. But it (and rowing) suggest to me that most of these gifts are coming from ex-athletes, not fans, and given that the football roster is 4x the size of the hockey roster...

But I'm heartened the gifts aren't that big. No doubt the serious bribery happens in a different bucket, but at least its not endemic.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2021 03:22PM

Trotsky
Weder
Trotsky

From that chart, sprint football got almost as much as hockey and football combined. That is... counter-intuitive. But it (and rowing) suggest to me that most of these gifts are coming from ex-athletes, not fans, and given that the football roster is 4x the size of the hockey roster...

But I'm heartened the gifts aren't that big. No doubt the serious bribery happens in a different bucket, but at least its not endemic.

A couple of years ago I got a note from someone asking if I had a connection to the women’s hockey team (I don’t), so I suspect you’re right that the number of donations from fans is very small.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2021 09:06PM

There are two opinion pieces in today’s Sun lambasting the sorry state of Cornell football.

Date: November 29, 2021 09:28PM

CAS
There are two opinion pieces in today’s Sun lambasting the sorry state of Cornell football.

Well written opinion piece, that I totally agree with. Change is needed now!

Re: Cornell Football 2021 - Sun editorials, op-eds
Date: November 30, 2021 09:30AM

From Mark Wolcott '83 in the Cornell Daily Sun this week, more on the perceived deterioration of Cornell sports and facilities than football. [cornellsun.com]

Mark Wolcott
Cornell soccer has had a spectacular season and are nationally ranked. The only problem is that our soccer facility is located almost next to the Vet School and they rarely draw more than a couple hundred fans. For years Cornell’s soccer games were held at the historic Schoellkopf Field and students would pack the West Stands ( the Student Section) for home games. Unfortunately, the West Stands were condemned and torn down in 2016 and the administration didn’t think our students needed them anymore. Today, Cornell is the only Ivy institution with “half” a stadium that continues to deteriorate. This year they had to place a red tarp over part of the Crescent because it no longer meets safety protocols.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: November 30, 2021 10:51AM

billhoward
From Mark Wolcott '83 in the Cornell Daily Sun this week, more on the perceived deterioration of Cornell sports and facilities than football. [cornellsun.com]

Mark Wolcott
Cornell soccer has had a spectacular season and are nationally ranked. The only problem is that our soccer facility is located almost next to the Vet School and they rarely draw more than a couple hundred fans. For years Cornell’s soccer games were held at the historic Schoellkopf Field and students would pack the West Stands ( the Student Section) for home games. Unfortunately, the West Stands were condemned and torn down in 2016 and the administration didn’t think our students needed them anymore. Today, Cornell is the only Ivy institution with “half” a stadium that continues to deteriorate. This year they had to place a red tarp over part of the Crescent because it no longer meets safety protocols.

The soccer field is like a 3-minute walk from Schoellkopf, and soccer shouldn’t be played on fake grass.

Date: November 30, 2021 11:11AM

Weder
The soccer field is like a 3-minute walk from Schoellkopf, and soccer shouldn’t be played on fake grass.
Artificial turf now seems to be called a turf field, which can be confusing to boomers. When artificial turf arrived late 1960s it was for rich schools. Now it's grass that is costly and most youth sports fields go artificial because grass can't stand up to 8-12 hours of use Saturday / Sunday plus afternoons / evenings on weekdays. What's on Cornell's fields today is worlds better, softer, less abrasive than the Polyturf field that was also called the Marinaro Meadow.

Date: November 30, 2021 12:20PM

i will have to check but is the tarp really there for safety reasons or to control the crowds locations? i know they spend a boatload to work on the concrete

so they think the kids can walk to lynah but that 100 extra yds to the backside where soccer is is too much? considering the location of the dorms wouldnt soccer be closer for many kids?

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2021 12:47PM

As a long time season ticket holder for football attendance has to be a concern. Without parents of players, band members, and maybe cheerleaders there would not be anybody at the games. Low attendance probably also a reason for the tarp. The football team's current state is a factor but looking at attendance for the other Ivy League schools it has to be a concern for the whole league.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2021 12:54PM

rss77
As a long time season ticket holder for football attendance has to be a concern. Without parents of players, band members, and maybe cheerleaders there would not be anybody at the games. Low attendance probably also a reason for the tarp. The football team's current state is a factor but looking at attendance for the other Ivy League schools it has to be a concern for the whole league.

Besides our longstanding ineptitude, I think the fact that the Ivy champ cannot participate in the FCS playoffs dampens enthusiasm for all the Ivy teams--even those who actually win a lot. Without the possibility of a national championship, it's hard for me, and likely many others, to get too worked up about winning an 8-team league. The Ivies have been nationally successful in so many sports, and it's beyond silly that the Ivy champ cannot participate in the FCS playoffs.

Date: November 30, 2021 02:18PM

Yup. the fact they dont let these kids compete for a NC when all the other sports can is beyond dumb.. it would help attendance all over the ivies as well as better players would come if given a chance for a NC.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: November 30, 2021 03:49PM

upprdeck
Yup. the fact they dont let these kids compete for a NC when all the other sports can is beyond dumb.. it would help attendance all over the ivies as well as better players would come if given a chance for a NC.

The Ivy rules are completely random. Basketball starts at the same time as everyone else and plays the same number of games, yet almost every other Ivy sport has later starts and game limits below what the NCAA sets.

Date: November 30, 2021 05:37PM

upprdeck

But in the view of the Ivy Presidents if you allowed FCS playoffs, the next step will be the BCS Championship and playing in the Rose Bowl..crazy

Date: November 30, 2021 05:39PM

and as we all know once the season is over all those kids stop wasting time working out and just study 100 hrs a week.

Date: November 30, 2021 05:54PM

scoop85
rss77

Besides our longstanding ineptitude, I think the fact that the Ivy champ cannot participate in the FCS playoffs dampens enthusiasm for all the Ivy teams--even those who actually win a lot. Without the possibility of a national championship, it's hard for me, and likely many others, to get too worked up about winning an 8-team league. The Ivies have been nationally successful in so many sports, and it's beyond silly that the Ivy champ cannot participate in the FCS playoffs.
Some have suggested--seriously? a joke?--that the Harvard and Yale presidents, presidents not athletic directors deciding on football taking part in the FCS playoffs, do not want something at season's end upstaging The Game.

Date: November 30, 2021 06:10PM

Yale in years past tarped off areas of the Yale Bowl not for small crowd reasons but because so many rows were so splintery. Except for the Harvard game, Yale doesn't need even half the 61,446 seats.

Random 2021 games. Wondering what is the second-best attended game involving an Ivy team.
This year, Harvard at Yale drew 49,500
Yale at Dartmouth drew 10,079
Harvard at Princeton drew 10,033
Yale at Princeton drew 7,686.
Cornell at Harvard drew 7,414

Date: November 30, 2021 06:50PM

billhoward
Yale in years past tarped off areas of the Yale Bowl not for small crowd reasons but because so many rows were so splintery. Except for the Harvard game, Yale doesn't need even half the 61,446 seats.

Random 2021 games. Wondering what is the second-best attended game involving an Ivy team.
This year, Harvard at Yale drew 49,500
Yale at Dartmouth drew 10,079
Harvard at Princeton drew 10,033
Yale at Princeton drew 7,686.
Cornell at Harvard drew 7,414

Bill you missed a few:
Brown at Harvard drew 20,748
Dartmouth at Harvard drew 14,110
Penn at Columbia drew 11,054

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-197-198.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2021 02:41PM

Do we really tarp off the stadium because of low attendance?! The Ivy League’s Jacksonville Jaguars

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2021 03:28PM

CU2007
Do we really tarp off the stadium because of low attendance?! The Ivy League’s Jacksonville Jaguars

It doesn’t look terrible, to be honest. It’s several rows at the top of the Crescent. (It’s at least better than the tarp with the Under Armour ad that they have/had at the Yale Bowl.) Who knows how it will look after an Ithaca winter, though.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: December 02, 2021 05:02PM

Former Cornell football coach Jim Knowles is getting a lot of credit for Oklahoma State's good season.
[www.cbssports.com]

Date: December 03, 2021 04:24PM

Another Letter to the Editor on the state of the football program and David Archer.

[cornellsun.com]

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 05:28PM

jkahn
Former Cornell football coach Jim Knowles is getting a lot of credit for Oklahoma State's good season.
[www.cbssports.com]

Is he just another in the long line of former Cornell coaches who underachieved in Ithaca but went on to do bigger and better things elsewhere?

Date: December 03, 2021 05:31PM

Swampy
jkahn
[www.cbssports.com]

Is he just another in the long line of former Cornell coaches who underachieved in Ithaca but went on to do bigger and better things elsewhere?

Good for Knowles, but at least he had experience as a defense coordinator before he came to Cornell. Archer never attained the level of coordinator position, before he was elevated to head coach.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2021 05:35PM by Ken711.

Date: December 03, 2021 10:09PM

jkahn
[www.cbssports.com]
We're a different, mini cradle of coaches. Just that when coaches moved on from Miami of Ohio to bigger venues, they moved on with good records. Although Knowles' 26-34 isn't bad by Cornell standards;

Date: December 03, 2021 10:57PM

billhoward
jkahn
[www.cbssports.com]
We're a different, mini cradle of coaches. Just that when coaches moved on from Miami of Ohio to bigger venues, they moved on with good records. Although Knowles' 26-34 isn't bad by Cornell standards;

Knowles had the last winning season record a long 16 years ago, when the 2005 team ended 6-4.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2021 10:58PM by Ken711.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2021 08:41PM

Swampy
jkahn
[www.cbssports.com]

Ohio State Buckeyes hire Oklahoma State's Jim Knowles as defensive coordinator

[apple.news]

Date: December 07, 2021 08:52PM

jeff '84
Swampy
jkahn
[www.cbssports.com]

Ohio State Buckeyes hire Oklahoma State's Jim Knowles as defensive coordinator

[apple.news]

Knowles made 800k at Oklahoma State this past season, They tried to keep him but couldn't match the salary being offered by Ohio State University which is close to $2 million, making him one of the highest paid defensive coordinators in college football.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2021 09:50PM by Ken711.

Date: December 09, 2021 10:34AM

Good for you, Jim Knowles. Ohio State as of ~5 years ago had the nation's highest athletics budget.

Story here says TOSU had $234 million in athletics revenue in 2019-2020. My liberal arts math says that's a quarter of a billion dollars.

[news.osu.edu].

Date: December 09, 2021 08:07PM

And still, Cornell remains the the only school that’s played football multiple times against TOSU and never lost. 23-14 in ‘39 and 31-7 in ‘40! LGR!

Posted by: RichH (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2021 09:14PM

billhoward
Good for you, Jim Knowles. Ohio State as of ~5 years ago had the nation's highest athletics budget.

Story here says TOSU had $234 million in athletics revenue in 2019-2020. My liberal arts math says that's a quarter of a billion dollars.

[news.osu.edu].

The year the WCHA Frozen Four was played at THE Ohio State Arena, I walked from their old rinky-dink rink towards the center of the campus, and I swear that in my random walk, it felt that 75% of the campus is dedicated to athletics facilities. Even the first academic building I came across was for the Department of Physical Fitness Education or something like that. We joke about the phrase "jock factories," but............yeah.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2021 09:20PM by RichH.

Date: December 10, 2021 08:16AM

Be a start if: no athletic dorms.

Once Cornell builds out the sportsplex near the cow barns and polo arena, do apartment villages pop up that are favored by athletes for proximity to practice and game fields?

Date: December 10, 2021 07:27PM

To land Jim Knowles, Ohio State made him the highest paid assistant in Buckeye history. The new Buckeyes defensive coordinator will make $1.9 million annually as part of his three-year deal. That is significantly more than the $1.3 million the Oklahoma State Cowboys were reportedly set to offer him as part of a 5-year contract extension.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2021 07:27PM by Ken711.

Date: December 12, 2021 04:46PM

After he was released as the New York Giants’ offensive coordinator, Jason Garrett was given very strong consideration for the open head coaching position at Duke. In the end, however, he was passed over for the job.

Garrett comes from a coaching family, has an Ivy pedigree (Princeton and Columbia), extensive pro coaching experience, some NFL playing time, he’s 55 and really shouldn’t need a big payday, why not finish out his career at Cornell?

Moreover, Garrett might make a great mentor for Jameson Wang, “the second coming Gary Wood.”

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2021 07:35PM

George64
After he was released as the New York Giants’ offensive coordinator, Jason Garrett was given very strong consideration for the open head coaching position at Duke. In the end, however, he was passed over for the job.

Garrett comes from a coaching family, has an Ivy pedigree (Princeton and Columbia), extensive pro coaching experience, some NFL playing time, he’s 55 and really shouldn’t need a big payday, why not finish out his career at Cornell?

Moreover, Garrett might make a great mentor for Jameson Wang, “the second coming Gary Wood.”

who did Duke hire? When Garret got released by the NY Giants, that was my first though - come to Ithaca. I thought Garret would have been at good fit at Duke.

Date: December 12, 2021 08:17PM

From NBC Sports:

Jason Garrett was a candidate for the Duke head coaching vacancy and believed to be the favorite for the job. . .

Duke is finalizing a deal to make Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko the school’s next head coach. . .

Elko spent four seasons at A&M after serving as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator in 2017. He also worked as the defensive coordinator at Wake Forest for three seasons.

Date: December 12, 2021 08:19PM

Rita
George64

who did Duke hire? When Garret got released by the NY Giants, that was my first though - come to Ithaca. I thought Garret would have been at good fit at Duke.
Mike Elko, Texas A&M defensive coordinator

Date: December 12, 2021 08:23PM

Rita
George64

I don't see Garrett dealing with recruiting at the college level. Mike Elko, who rose to acclaim as a defensive coordinator at Wake Forest, Notre Dame and most recently Texas A&M, got his first head coaching job when he agreed to take over the Duke Blue Devils’ program Friday night.

Date: December 12, 2021 08:28PM

There's hasn't been a whisper out of the AD's office on the Cornell football program, either they aren't going to do anything yet again (probable), or they are waiting until after the 3 day signing period which starts this Wednesday (hopeful).

Date: December 13, 2021 02:44PM

When you've spent 10 years as head coach of the Cowboys (and have now been out of that job going on 2 years), and you're 55, maybe you think you've got another shot as an offense/coordinator then HC ... maybe Duke is okay as a place to regroup for a year or two, Princeton would be passable b/c you played there, but Cornell might seem to be saying, "I'm on cruise control en route to retirement and golf."

Or it could be recruiting at the college level is not his strength.

Date: December 13, 2021 04:13PM

billhoward
Cornell might seem to be saying, "I'm on cruise control en route to retirement and golf."

Given the formidable challenges inherent in the Cornell football program, a successful head coach here could hardly operate on cruise control.

As for recruiting, I’d think that a prospective player would be thrilled to play for a head coach with Garrett’s resume. Plus, I think he’d be able to attract competent assistants.

That being said, we’ll probably see David Archer back on the sideline next fall. The only thing that will change this scenario is if football supporters with deep pockets say “enough is enough!”

Date: December 13, 2021 04:37PM

George64
billhoward
Cornell might seem to be saying, "I'm on cruise control en route to retirement and golf."

Given the formidable challenges inherent in the Cornell football program, a successful head coach here could hardly operate on cruise control.

As for recruiting, I’d think that a prospective player would be thrilled to play for a head coach with Garrett’s resume. Plus, I think he’d be able to attract competent assistants.

That being said, we’ll probably see David Archer back on the sideline next fall. The only thing that will change this scenario is if football supporters with deep pockets say “enough is enough!”

Or Andy retires.

Date: December 13, 2021 06:05PM

Ken711
There's hasn't been a whisper out of the AD's office on the Cornell football program, either they aren't going to do anything yet again (probable), or they are waiting until after the 3 day signing period which starts this Wednesday (hopeful).
If there actually are any Old Rich Football Obsessed Alums (mental picture: Sterling Hayden in Strangelove) then they have to be doing everything short of banging Noel's nuts in the desk drawer to make him fire Archer.

Date: December 13, 2021 07:49PM

Trotsky
Ken711
If there actually are any Old Rich Football Obsessed Alums (mental picture: Sterling Hayden in Strangelove) then they have to be doing everything short of banging Noel's nuts in the desk drawer to make him fire Archer.

I think there's video of these "Old Rich Football Obsessed Alums" visiting with Andy recently in his office regarding the state of the football program.

Date: December 13, 2021 09:09PM

i am going to once again say this gently because i am sometimes mystified at the conversation here: jason garrett would retire before taking a job coaching at cornell university. we wouldn't pay enough to make it worth his time even if it weren't in upstate new york. he doesn't want a "challenge" he wants to be the offensive coordinator or head coach of a team in the nfl.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2021 11:15PM

Trotsky
Ken711

What about the guy who paid to have all those games on TV in the 90s? Is he still alive?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: December 14, 2021 06:51AM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
Ken711

What about the guy who paid to have all those games on TV in the 90s? Is he still alive?
I think it was: [cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: Weder (165.225.222.---)
Date: December 14, 2021 01:07PM

Date: December 14, 2021 03:01PM

Al DeFlorio
jtwcornell91
Trotsky
Ken711

I think it was: [cornellbigred.com]

That's correct. I remember seeing Roger Weiss standing on the Cornell sidelines during the 1987 season when the Big Red tied for the Ivy Championship that year and finished the season 8-2.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2021 04:15PM

Agree w/George above - until those who fund Cornell football put their checkbooks away, change won’t happen. Unfortunately results don’t matter. Strongly believe spending on the program (coaching, facilities, player support) would earn a good return in alumni interest, fundraising, etc. Since it costs a lot to win, even more to lose…

Date: December 14, 2021 07:53PM

CAS
Agree w/George above - until those who fund Cornell football put their checkbooks away, change won’t happen. Unfortunately results don’t matter. Strongly believe spending on the program (coaching, facilities, player support) would earn a good return in alumni interest, fundraising, etc. Since it costs a lot to win, even more to lose…

Results as in wins, obviously don't matter when it comes to football.

Date: December 15, 2021 04:35AM

Ken711
Trotsky
Ken711

I think there's video of these "Old Rich Football Obsessed Alums" visiting with Andy recently in his office regarding the state of the football program.
Tom is absolutely a Cornell alum. AgEc.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2021 04:36AM by Trotsky.

Date: December 16, 2021 11:46AM

waiting for someone to ask if cornell has reached out to urban meyer

Date: December 16, 2021 01:44PM

ugarte
Can't compare with Cornell's Urban: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: December 16, 2021 04:03PM

Al DeFlorio

Thanks, quite a story.

Date: December 16, 2021 04:59PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte

What an incredible and heroic war record.

Date: December 16, 2021 07:18PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte

Extraordinary. It will never happen, but his story should be required reading for all incoming freshmen.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2021 12:17PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte

Wow, what a soldier and what a life. Ashamed I had never heard of him.

Date: January 08, 2022 12:15PM

Beating a dead horse, I suppose.

247Sports publishes a Football College Team Talent Composite based on the number and rated talent of each team’s players. For example, Alabama is first with 85 rated players and a score of 1001.89 snd Georgia is second with 85 and 1001.79. For comparison, Stanford is 25th with 85 and 745.30, Syracuse is 70th with 71 and 568.67, Old Dominion (where Rick Rahne is HC) is 105th with 71 and 452.89 . . . Yale is 213th with 2 and 24.05, Princeton is 222nd with 1 at 16.08 and Brown is 234th with 1 at 9.44.

That’s it for the Ivy League. Last on the list is Houston Baptist at 234 with 1 player with a rating of 5.41.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2022 01:40PM

Not sure what Cornell can do to compete in the League. Maxie Baughan used transfers to upgrade the talent plus some good recruiting. I still think Archer should look at the transfer portal-surely there is some good talent disenchanted with big time football that may be looking for a change. Whatever Cornell has been doing the last 30 years has not worked through a multitude of coaches. John Fox, the longtime Sports Editor of the Binghamton Evening Press, once called Cornell:"The Graveyard of Football Coaches." It still holds true.

Page: Previous12 3 4Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login