Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Football 2021

Posted by dbilmes 
Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Cornell Football 2021
Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:00AM

From an article in today's New Haven Register:
"During a year without competition, and long periods of being separated from players, Yale coach Tony Reno said the program and team improved. All but one Yale player who would have been a senior in 2020 elected to take a semester off during the pandemic to delay graduation and return to the team this season."
I wonder how many Cornell players who would have been seniors last year did the same.
Yale is picked to finish second in the Ivy coaches' preseason poll.

Re: Cornell Football 2021
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:13AM

If you look at our roster, there are several 5th years, including the starting QB

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:44AM

dbilmes
From an article in today's New Haven Register:
"During a year without competition, and long periods of being separated from players, Yale coach Tony Reno said the program and team improved. All but one Yale player who would have been a senior in 2020 elected to take a semester off during the pandemic to delay graduation and return to the team this season."
I wonder how many Cornell players who would have been seniors last year did the same.
Yale is picked to finish second in the Ivy coaches' preseason poll.

21 5th year seniors on the roster.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2021 09:44AM by Ken711.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2021 09:54AM

Season starts today vs VMI at 2 on ESPN+
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 09:55AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2021 02:28PM

Scoreless halfway through the 1st period, as Cornell bailed out on a VMI holding call on a pass that would’ve given them a 1st and goal at the Cornell 1 yard line.

The camerawork is atrocious. It’s panning out too far, and they’re missing the end of certain plays as the camera isn’t catching up to the pass. You’d think with SU and IC pumping out graduates from 2 of the finest communications schools in the country they could find competent camera people.

Date: September 18, 2021 02:43PM

Based on the early series, we have not magically become good. Down 7-0, near end of first quarter.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 02:44PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 18, 2021 02:47PM

Trotsky
Based on the early series, we have not magically become good. Down 7-0, near end of first quarter.

VMI has converted a 3rd and 19, 3rd and 13, and now a 2nd and 21. We have no answer for the passing game, as their receivers are wide open, and their backup freshman QB looks like Pat Mahomes against us.

Remind me, when does hockey season start?

Date: September 18, 2021 03:07PM

Kenney - Glover 45 (most of it YAC). 7-7 early 2nd quarter.

Date: September 18, 2021 03:14PM

scoop85
Trotsky

VMI has converted a 3rd and 19, 3rd and 13, and now a 2nd and 21. We have no answer for the passing game, as their receivers are wide open, and their backup freshman QB looks like Pat Mahomes against us.

Remind me, when does hockey season start?

41 days: October 29, vs UAF

609 days since the last game.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2021 03:21PM

Going for it on 4th and 2 on your own 34-yard line. Not smart at all. Maybe on their 34-yard line.

Date: September 18, 2021 04:18PM

Defense has been pretty good. We had a big run called back on a hold. Our punting looks high school level.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (72.2.235.---)
Date: September 18, 2021 05:38PM

scoop85
Defense has been pretty good. We had a big run called back on a hold. Our punting looks high school level.
Play-calling, too.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2021 05:45PM

Punting is absolutely horrible. You mean they couldn't even recruit an adequate punter. :-O

Date: September 18, 2021 06:01PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Play-calling, too.

Yes, play calling is laughable at times. Down 10 in the 4th with about 5 minutes left, inside their 25, on 3rd down we run up the gut to set up a FG attempt for a senior who’s never tried one at the college level. He predictably misses it left, and out the window is our last real chance.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2021 06:09PM

Nick Null is doing pretty well at Monmouth after a year of punting for Wyoming.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2021 11:28PM

Everyone knows the key to a successful Cornell football season (really anyone’s) is good punting. Today’s was pathetic. Not auspicious.

Date: September 19, 2021 12:43PM

Since Ivy offenses and kicking and typically bad I wonder if it would be a net successful strategy to just start going for it on 4th all the time unless we're within our own 30. We might prolong the drive only about 30% of the time, but would the opponent be able to take advantage that often?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2021 09:41AM

Trotsky
Since Ivy offenses and kicking and typically bad I wonder if it would be a net successful strategy to just start going for it on 4th all the time unless we're within our own 30. We might prolong the drive only about 30% of the time, but would the opponent be able to take advantage that often?

I seem to recall that when I was a student (1987-1990 seasons) we often did the opposite and punted on third down. I suspect that was in the odd-numbered years, when we were pretty bad, rather than in the even-numbered years when we were Ivy co-champions.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2021 10:28AM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

I seem to recall that when I was a student (1987-1990 seasons) we often did the opposite and punted on third down. I suspect that was in the odd-numbered years, when we were pretty bad, rather than in the even-numbered years when we were Ivy co-champions.
The teams when I was an undergrad would have been better served punting on first down.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: September 20, 2021 08:20PM

jtwcornell91

Always quick kick: they'll never see it coming!

Date: September 20, 2021 10:48PM

From the Sun article:

“I use an outside company that helps me with some analytics, and they tell me the odds on [each] down and distance,” Archer said. “The odds were slightly in my favor and I was feeling pretty aggressive. I liked the defense and I liked the O-line, so we rolled the dice.”

I guess everyone around me and I should start an "analytics" company. We all agreed prior to the snap that it was an inexplicable, boneheaded call.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: September 21, 2021 11:57AM

Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

“I use an outside company that helps me with some analytics, and they tell me the odds on [each] down and distance,” Archer said. “The odds were slightly in my favor and I was feeling pretty aggressive. I liked the defense and I liked the O-line, so we rolled the dice.”

I guess everyone around me and I should start an "analytics" company. We all agreed prior to the snap that it was an inexplicable, boneheaded call.

prettty much the same play thats on ESPN right now as Minn Sun not going from that spot in their game and being one of the worst calls of the season to kick .. The Analytics guys think going for it on that spot of the field is a better call than not..

What i wonder is what happens if Ala goes for it there 20 times and it works that doesnt mean Cornell should do it.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2021 04:04PM

upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

prettty much the same play thats on ESPN right now as Minn Sun not going from that spot in their game and being one of the worst calls of the season to kick .. The Analytics guys think going for it on that spot of the field is a better call than not..

What i wonder is what happens if Ala goes for it there 20 times and it works that doesnt mean Cornell should do it.
Especially given the track record of the guy who calls the spevific play.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2021 09:58AM

Al DeFlorio
upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

This sort of reads like he was told he has a slightly better than 50% chance of converting, and not considering the fact that we were on OUR OWN 35 YARD LINE. I would have agreed if we were on the opponent’s 41 or something like that where a punt doesn’t really help field position as much and a failure isn’t catastrophic (and basically guaranteed points against) as we saw. It was the wrong call any way you look at it.

Posted by: George64 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 10:03AM

Maybe Archer input the wrong 35 yard line!

Date: September 22, 2021 10:07AM

I think I need to learn to like this type of football!

Date: September 22, 2021 10:12AM

George64
I think I need to learn to like this type of football!
We any good?

Date: September 22, 2021 10:42AM

4-1-1. The tie Tuesday against a usually dominant ‘cuse team.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:50AM

CU2007
Al DeFlorio
upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

This sort of reads like he was told he has a slightly better than 50% chance of converting, and not considering the fact that we were on OUR OWN 35 YARD LINE. I would have agreed if we were on the opponent’s 41 or something like that where a punt doesn’t really help field position as much and a failure isn’t catastrophic (and basically guaranteed points against) as we saw. It was the wrong call any way you look at it.

Agreed, using "analytics" as an excuse is pretty sad. Dumb call by Archer.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 01:10PM

Ken711
CU2007
Al DeFlorio
upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

Agreed, using "analytics" as an excuse is pretty sad. Dumb call by Archer.

Shit, if you go by analytics, neither Cornell nor the NY Jets would step foot on the field.

Date: September 22, 2021 02:51PM

When sports people bring up analytics I always get the feeling it's like politicians bringing up science. "I want to see your applicable STEM degree before you even open your mouth."

Date: September 22, 2021 08:39PM

George64
Cornell men's soccer is currently 53 in RPI; we've played two teams ranked above us: a road tie against #33 Syracuse and a 2OT loss at #35 Wake Forest after having 2 of our players sent off in the closing minutes of regulation and playing OT down 11x9. The closest team in the Ivies to us currently is Yale, at 83.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:52PM

ugarte
George64
Cornell men's soccer is currently 53 in RPI; we've played two teams ranked above us: a road tie against #33 Syracuse and a 2OT loss at #35 Wake Forest after having 2 of our players sent off in the closing minutes of regulation and playing OT down 11x9. The closest team in the Ivies to us currently is Yale, at 83.

The Syracuse game was in Ithaca

Date: September 23, 2021 12:23AM

scoop85
ugarte
George64

The Syracuse game was in Ithaca
whoops. i caught that and changed one of the references to it being on the road but didn't realize that i'd typed a redundant sentence and missed the other one.

Posted by: French Rage (136.226.49.---)
Date: September 25, 2021 07:54AM

Scersk '97
jtwcornell91

Always quick kick: they'll never see it coming!

Walt Harris approves.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: September 25, 2021 08:59AM

at Yale today as we play the annual game: close defeat or brutal rout?

Date: September 25, 2021 09:19AM

Trotsky
at Yale today as we play the annual game: close defeat or brutal rout?

I go with a rout.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-142.myvzw.com)
Date: September 25, 2021 11:44AM

Anyone watch Harvard-Brown last night. Ugly.

Date: September 25, 2021 12:09PM

Looking good on the first drive -- 3 first downs already.

Edit: 4

We are 11 point underdogs per ESPN.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 12:10PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 25, 2021 12:13PM

Cornell has 136 players on the roster, including 51 seniors.

Date: September 25, 2021 12:16PM

Drive ends with an End Zone INT.

Never change, guys.

Date: September 25, 2021 12:51PM

We really do have a dreadful playbook. Execution is even worse.

Yale is almost as screwed up, thankfully. So far, at least.

Date: September 25, 2021 12:59PM

You're not going to win football games if you can't punt the way Cornell has with 28 yd punts.

Re: Cornell Football 2021 @ Yale 9/25 L23-17
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2021 01:56PM

First half, Yale 9-3. Close game other than Cornell giving up a 35-yard TD pass.

Start of the second half, Yale has third-and-20 at midfield, two plays later they're in the end zone. 16-3, Yale.

Five minutes into the fourth quarter, Cornell gets first-and-10 at the Yale 11, draws two false starts, pushed back to third-and-21, then intercepted on the 1-yard line. #GroundhogDay

Late in the game: Really nice sequence for Cornell with 90 seconds to play to draw within one TD, helped by a Yale personal foul, get score to 16-10. Cornell's bad luck returns on the onside kick that follows -- not just recovered by Yale but run back for a TD. 23-10.

Game's effectively over but ... Cornell marches the length of the field, aided by multiple Yale fouls and a completed pass to the 2-yard-line then a rush for a TD and it's 23-17, Would have been an amazing finish were Yale's lead in the final minute one not two TDs.

Final, Yale 23-17, not as bad as 16-3 early in the third quarter. Still: Cornell, Oh and two.
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 04:22PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell Football 2021 @ Yale 9/25
Date: September 25, 2021 02:02PM

16-3, as Yale marches down the field with the opening 2nd half kickoff. We had them at 3rd and 20 from about the 45, but after a 16 yard completion on 3rd down, The Yale receiver stretches for a 1st down on 4th and 4. Next play they hit an easy TD pass.

We are not an awful team. But the above scenario is an example of why we are eminently mediocre, with no real change in sight.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2021 02:31PM

This darkness got to give!

Date: September 25, 2021 02:36PM

CAS
This darkness got to give!

It will once Archer is let go.

Date: September 25, 2021 03:16PM

lol cornell with a nice (penalty-aided) drive to pull within 6 with 1:15 remaining but Yale scoops the onside kick and runs it in

Date: September 25, 2021 04:21PM

Yale returned a late onside kick for a touchdown in 2019. You'd think we'd learn how to prevent that. There must be a freshman QB who can pass better than Kenney. Put him in. Give him experience. We lose anyway.

Date: September 25, 2021 05:40PM

David Archer era to date; 19-53 Overall (.263 winning %). 15-36 Ivy League (.294 winning %) cry

Date: September 25, 2021 11:21PM

Ken711
David Archer era to date; 19-53 Overall (.263 winning %). 15-36 Ivy League (.294 winning %) cry

Next opponent, Bucknell, has scored 9 points in three games, so there’s a chance for a win. Meanwhile, men’s soccer, elsewhere known as football, beat Marist 5-1. They’re now 5-1-1.

Date: September 26, 2021 12:26AM

George64
Ken711

Next opponent, Bucknell, has scored 9 points in three games, so there’s a chance for a win. Meanwhile, men’s soccer, elsewhere known as football, beat Marist 5-1. They’re now 5-1-1.
after the syracuse game, according to RPI, marist was by far the toughest remaining game on the schedule.

Date: September 26, 2021 10:10AM

ugarte
George64
Ken711

after the syracuse game, according to RPI, marist was by far the toughest remaining game on the schedule.

That may be so, but I think a few of the Ivies will be pretty good. Yale was the preseason favorite, and some other league teams have been pretty good in the early season.

For those lamenting the state of the (American) football program, what John Smith has done for the soccer program is Exhibit A in program building. When he came is 6 years ago the program was a train wreck, bereft of D1 talent. His 1st year the team won a single game. By year 2 the team was competitive, and by year 3 was a legitimate threat to win the league. He ramped up recruiting and installed an attacking, aggressive style that is enticing to high-end players and is a joy to watch. If Smith stays around we should be an upper division team for years to come.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 26, 2021 11:58AM

Ken711
And 44 All-Ivy selections, as the ESPN Chiron overlaid when showing him on the sidelines. Plus he’s getting closer each year to being the senior Ivy football coach.

That (sarcasm) aside, I want to believe Cornell sees Archer as the right coach for the long term.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2021 12:00PM by billhoward.

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-174-248-9.myvzw.com)
Date: September 26, 2021 12:28PM

Scoop, that’s an excellent example of what’s possible when a dynamic coach leads a moribund program. Wish Andy (& his superiors) would pay heed.

Date: September 26, 2021 12:30PM

billhoward
Ken711
And 44 All-Ivy selections, as the ESPN Chiron overlaid when showing him on the sidelines. Plus he’s getting closer each year to being the senior Ivy football coach.

That (sarcasm) aside, I want to believe Cornell sees Archer as the right coach for the long term.

Nine years heading the program where you can't win even 1/3 of the games played is a large enough sample size to say he ISN'T the right coach.

Date: September 26, 2021 01:44PM

Ken711
Well, you know, we play such a difficult schedule...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 26, 2021 07:09PM

George64
Ken711

Wait. I might actually get to see a win in person?

I'm not getting my hopes up. It's Homecoming at Bucknell.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2021 12:43PM

One looks back a bit and the only coaches who have sustained success were Maxie Baughan, Jack Musick, and some limited success with Jim Hofher. Baughan recruiting pretty but also go transfers from other programs like the late Tom McHale (Unfortunately a case study in advocating against football) and some others. I would think that by looking at the transfer portal Archer might be able to upgrade the talent. Thirty slots are a lot to fill every year for recruiting and recruiting against the Big Three along the structural limitations of the Ivies present their own challenges. I mention the Big Three because the prestige in playing in front of a big crowd like "The Game" presents its own appeal. I would offer that Cornell football has no comparable rivalry (Cornell-Penn Thanksgiving rivalry back in the day yes but not currently). My point being that there is a limited pool of athletes willing to take on the financial burdens and qualify academically for that many slots. Cornell has gotten good talent over the years but enough quite enough athleticism to match that of some of the other top program within the Ivies. In my fantasies I wish that the the Ivies would allow athletic scholarships which might broaden the talent pool a bit and enable Cornell to compete. That being said we currently have a coach who loves being at Cornell and the talent has improved a bit also from when he started. The program is moving on to Bucknell and one would like to see Mayes get the starting qb position based on his performance.

Date: September 27, 2021 04:24PM

rss77
One looks back a bit and the only coaches who have sustained success were Maxie Baughan, Jack Musick, and some limited success with Jim Hofher. Baughan recruiting pretty but also go transfers from other programs like the late Tom McHale (Unfortunately a case study in advocating against football) and some others. I would think that by looking at the transfer portal Archer might be able to upgrade the talent. Thirty slots are a lot to fill every year for recruiting and recruiting against the Big Three along the structural limitations of the Ivies present their own challenges. I mention the Big Three because the prestige in playing in front of a big crowd like "The Game" presents its own appeal. I would offer that Cornell football has no comparable rivalry (Cornell-Penn Thanksgiving rivalry back in the day yes but not currently). My point being that there is a limited pool of athletes willing to take on the financial burdens and qualify academically for that many slots. Cornell has gotten good talent over the years but enough quite enough athleticism to match that of some of the other top program within the Ivies. In my fantasies I wish that the the Ivies would allow athletic scholarships which might broaden the talent pool a bit and enable Cornell to compete. That being said we currently have a coach who loves being at Cornell and the talent has improved a bit also from when he started. The program is moving on to Bucknell and one would like to see Mayes get the starting qb position based on his performance.

I get your point but Dartmouth isn't in the Big Three, and doesn't really have a great rivalry, yet they seem to have been able to maintain a winning program.

Date: October 02, 2021 04:36PM

I think Cornell must practice illegal procedure. This silliness of lining up to run a play, then having everyone turn to the sideline to get a different play, then dancing around to move half the team to a new place on the field, and finally starting to move too soon (illegal procedure) or too late (delay of game) is just ridiculous.

40 yards of penalties in first quarter.

Date: October 02, 2021 06:03PM

Al DeFlorio
I think Cornell must practice illegal procedure. This silliness of lining up to run a play, then having everyone turn to the sideline to get a different play, then dancing around to move half the team to a new place on the field, and finally starting to move too soon (illegal procedure) or too late (delay of game) is just ridiculous.

40 yards of penalties in first quarter.

Poor coaching.

Date: October 02, 2021 06:15PM

Pathetic running game by Cornell. Archer needs to be fired after this season!

David Archer era to date; 19-54 Overall (.260 winning %). 15-37 Ivy League (.288 winning %)

Date: October 02, 2021 06:17PM

Ken711

David Archer era to date; 19-54 Overall (.260 winning %). 15-37 Ivy League (.288 winning %)

Losing to this awful Bucknell team might be the final straw.

Date: October 02, 2021 06:27PM

scoop85
Ken711

They are going to get destroyed by Dartmouth and Harvard.

Date: October 02, 2021 06:29PM

Ken711
scoop85
Ken711

Princeton too

Date: October 02, 2021 06:42PM

scoop85
Ken711
scoop85
Ken711

Princeton too

Absolutely. There is no justification whatsoever to keep Archer another season.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-249-82.myvzw.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 06:45PM

Ken711
scoop85
Ken711
scoop85
Ken711

Princeton too

Maybe cornell should discontinue their football program.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2021 06:45PM by blackwidow.

Date: October 02, 2021 06:53PM

blackwidow
Ken711
scoop85
Ken711
scoop85
Ken711

Princeton too

Or hire a competent coaching staff. rolleyes

Date: October 02, 2021 06:54PM

Was expecting much more this season because of momentum of 2019 and the super seniors. The defense just can't get off the field (Allowing too many 3rd down conversions and a key 4th down) and a mistake-prone offense. Watched the Harvard Holy Cross highlights-Harvard looks scary good.

Date: October 02, 2021 06:56PM

Meanwhile our Futbol team just dominated Penn in Philly, 3-0 to go 6-1-1 overall, 1-0 in the league.

Date: October 02, 2021 07:03PM

rss77
Was expecting much more this season because of momentum of 2019 and the super seniors. The defense just can't get off the field (Allowing too many 3rd down conversions and a key 4th down) and a mistake-prone offense. Watched the Harvard Holy Cross highlights-Harvard looks scary good.

Rushing for a grand total of 34 yards says it all. There's a good chance this team wins maybe 1 or 2 games at best. Andy had better be looking at his list of potential of coaching replacements, assuming he has one.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 07:06PM

One way or another, this darkness got to give. I thought you play to win the game. Guess Andy & Archer have other ideas.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2021 07:19PM by CAS.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.sub-174-249-82.myvzw.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 07:11PM

Ken711
blackwidow
Ken711
scoop85
Ken711
scoop85
Ken711

Princeton too

Or hire a competent coaching staff. rolleyes

Maybe, but i personally would love to see the program getting discontinued like pton's sprint football. I assume my view is highly unpopular though.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 07:15PM

With the right coaching staff & administrative support, we can win. Fix the program.

Date: October 02, 2021 07:26PM

CAS
With the right coaching staff & administrative support, we can win. Fix the program.

I agree.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.mammothnetworks.com)
Date: October 02, 2021 07:29PM

CAS

Yep. The coaching is really bad from recruiting to play calling to game management. Just a complete disaster of a football program. Truly embarrassing for the school and the athletic department.

Date: October 02, 2021 09:42PM

blackwidow

We did. It's just really slow-walked.

Date: October 02, 2021 11:27PM

i try to be generous but there's no way around it this program is in the crapper and it's probably time to start looking around for a better staff. hard to fire alumni though.

Date: October 02, 2021 11:39PM

I was at the game. Ugly.

Our rushers didn't understand the concept of running downhill. We got one decent rush early on by sweeping outside. After that, Bucknell was able to stop that, every damn time we tried it. The running backs would dance around rather than run through obvious holes, and lose yards in the process. At one point late in the 2nd quarter, we had -4 yards rushing. In the middle of the 3rd we had +20. We finished with +34 yards rushing. And most of those seemed that they were by the QB.

Our second or third possession we had 5 penalties. I joked that we had more possession time because we ran one or two extra plays in every 3 down series.

Our defense played reasonably well in the first half, but in the second half Bucknell changed their passing scheme to short outs, and our secondary was still playing against the deep pass. And the defense didn't figure it out for the rest of the game. That's why we gave up 2 TDs in the 4th quarter.

Hockey can't come soon enough.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2021 11:41PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: October 05, 2021 01:19PM

Cornell (0-3) travels to Harvard (3-0) this Saturday. For those who believe Cornell never won in football, Cornell beat Harvard 11 straight times from 1986-1996. Harvard has won 16 of the last 19 games. How times have changed…

Date: October 05, 2021 01:32PM

CAS
Cornell (0-3) travels to Harvard (3-0) this Saturday. For those who believe Cornell never won in football, Cornell beat Harvard 11 straight times from 1986-1996. Harvard has won 16 of the last 19 games. How times have changed…

Yes, the times have certainly changed. Harvard's AD and administration started to care about getting behind a winning football program, and Cornell could care less.

Date: October 05, 2021 07:01PM

Same in lacrosse-they made a great hire when they lured the long time Notre Dame defensive coordinator Gerry Byrne to Cambridge.

Date: October 06, 2021 08:42AM

Ken711
Harvard's AD and administration started to care about getting behind a winning football program, and Cornell could care less.

Could they care less? Seems to me that they couldn't (possibly) care less.

Date: October 06, 2021 10:17AM

Agree Scersk - where else could one be 19-54 & still coaching

Date: October 07, 2021 08:54PM

Scersk '97
Ken711
Harvard's AD and administration started to care about getting behind a winning football program, and Cornell could care less.

Mandatory.

Date: October 08, 2021 06:50AM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Ken711

Mandatory.

I love Weird Al. Maybe he can coach this football team when Archer is fired. :-D

[www.youtube.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2021 08:57AM by Ken711.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2021 04:15PM

4th and 16 with the game on the line and they have the right-handed QB roll to his left so he has to make the most awkward throw possible.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2021 04:18PM

Can we please discontinue the program? Im in too much pain.

Date: October 09, 2021 04:42PM

CU2007
4th and 16 with the game on the line and they have the right-handed QB roll to his left so he has to make the most awkward throw possible.

As opposed to last week? First and goal on the 2 with time running out and they throw a screen that wasn't working all day. Then the QB fumbles it into the end zone on the next play.

And Bucknell got shut out by Penn today. We truly are bad.

Correction: Bucknell was shut out by Lafayette. Penn shutout Lehigh.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2021 04:33PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: October 09, 2021 08:41PM

Converting only two of twenty third and fourth down attempts makes it impossible to sustain drives.

Date: October 09, 2021 09:15PM

Brown beat Colgate next opponent 31-10, maybe there's hope for Cornell's 1st win of the season next week in their Friday night game against the Red Raiders.

Date: October 10, 2021 10:44AM

blackwidow
Can we please discontinue the program? Im in too much pain.
Gotta be a money sink, right? Dump it and put the savings into hockey.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: October 11, 2021 08:41AM

probably still makes more money than hockey.. by far the biggest boosters for the school care about football

Date: October 11, 2021 12:59PM

upprdeck
probably still makes more money than hockey.. by far the biggest boosters for the school care about football

Net? It's expensive AF.

Date: October 11, 2021 01:49PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Net? It's expensive AF.

The won't drop Ivy football unless they want to drop the "Ivy League brand".

Date: October 11, 2021 02:12PM

that football is so important to boosters makes it even more surprising that it has been so bad for so long

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2021 04:19PM

Trotsky
upprdeck

Net? It's expensive AF.

15 coaches, plus six listed support staff and over about 120 players, it’s bigger than many academic departments.

Posted by: blackwidow (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2021 04:34PM

George64
Trotsky
upprdeck

Net? It's expensive AF.

15 coaches, plus six listed support staff and over about 120 players, it’s bigger than many academic departments.

If i were rich, i would donate billions on the condition that they discontinue the program
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2021 04:35PM by blackwidow.

Date: October 11, 2021 06:00PM

Ken711
Trotsky
upprdeck

Net? It's expensive AF.

The won't drop Ivy football unless they want to drop the "Ivy League brand".
That is the key right there. Ivy Football is Cornell's loss leader.

Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login