Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Football 2021

Posted by dbilmes 
Cornell Football 2021
Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:00AM

From an article in today's New Haven Register:
"During a year without competition, and long periods of being separated from players, Yale coach Tony Reno said the program and team improved. All but one Yale player who would have been a senior in 2020 elected to take a semester off during the pandemic to delay graduation and return to the team this season."
I wonder how many Cornell players who would have been seniors last year did the same.
Yale is picked to finish second in the Ivy coaches' preseason poll.

Re: Cornell Football 2021
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:13AM

If you look at our roster, there are several 5th years, including the starting QB

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2021 09:44AM

dbilmes
From an article in today's New Haven Register:
"During a year without competition, and long periods of being separated from players, Yale coach Tony Reno said the program and team improved. All but one Yale player who would have been a senior in 2020 elected to take a semester off during the pandemic to delay graduation and return to the team this season."
I wonder how many Cornell players who would have been seniors last year did the same.
Yale is picked to finish second in the Ivy coaches' preseason poll.

21 5th year seniors on the roster.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2021 09:44AM by Ken711.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2021 09:54AM

Season starts today vs VMI at 2 on ESPN+
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 09:55AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2021 02:28PM

Scoreless halfway through the 1st period, as Cornell bailed out on a VMI holding call on a pass that would’ve given them a 1st and goal at the Cornell 1 yard line.

The camerawork is atrocious. It’s panning out too far, and they’re missing the end of certain plays as the camera isn’t catching up to the pass. You’d think with SU and IC pumping out graduates from 2 of the finest communications schools in the country they could find competent camera people.

Date: September 18, 2021 02:43PM

Based on the early series, we have not magically become good. Down 7-0, near end of first quarter.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 02:44PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 18, 2021 02:47PM

Trotsky
Based on the early series, we have not magically become good. Down 7-0, near end of first quarter.

VMI has converted a 3rd and 19, 3rd and 13, and now a 2nd and 21. We have no answer for the passing game, as their receivers are wide open, and their backup freshman QB looks like Pat Mahomes against us.

Remind me, when does hockey season start?

Date: September 18, 2021 03:07PM

Kenney - Glover 45 (most of it YAC). 7-7 early 2nd quarter.

Date: September 18, 2021 03:14PM

scoop85
Trotsky

VMI has converted a 3rd and 19, 3rd and 13, and now a 2nd and 21. We have no answer for the passing game, as their receivers are wide open, and their backup freshman QB looks like Pat Mahomes against us.

Remind me, when does hockey season start?

41 days: October 29, vs UAF

609 days since the last game.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2021 03:21PM

Going for it on 4th and 2 on your own 34-yard line. Not smart at all. Maybe on their 34-yard line.

Date: September 18, 2021 04:18PM

Defense has been pretty good. We had a big run called back on a hold. Our punting looks high school level.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (72.2.235.---)
Date: September 18, 2021 05:38PM

scoop85
Defense has been pretty good. We had a big run called back on a hold. Our punting looks high school level.
Play-calling, too.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2021 05:45PM

Punting is absolutely horrible. You mean they couldn't even recruit an adequate punter. :-O

Date: September 18, 2021 06:01PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Play-calling, too.

Yes, play calling is laughable at times. Down 10 in the 4th with about 5 minutes left, inside their 25, on 3rd down we run up the gut to set up a FG attempt for a senior who’s never tried one at the college level. He predictably misses it left, and out the window is our last real chance.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2021 06:09PM

Nick Null is doing pretty well at Monmouth after a year of punting for Wyoming.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2021 11:28PM

Everyone knows the key to a successful Cornell football season (really anyone’s) is good punting. Today’s was pathetic. Not auspicious.

Date: September 19, 2021 12:43PM

Since Ivy offenses and kicking and typically bad I wonder if it would be a net successful strategy to just start going for it on 4th all the time unless we're within our own 30. We might prolong the drive only about 30% of the time, but would the opponent be able to take advantage that often?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2021 09:41AM

Trotsky
Since Ivy offenses and kicking and typically bad I wonder if it would be a net successful strategy to just start going for it on 4th all the time unless we're within our own 30. We might prolong the drive only about 30% of the time, but would the opponent be able to take advantage that often?

I seem to recall that when I was a student (1987-1990 seasons) we often did the opposite and punted on third down. I suspect that was in the odd-numbered years, when we were pretty bad, rather than in the even-numbered years when we were Ivy co-champions.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2021 10:28AM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky

I seem to recall that when I was a student (1987-1990 seasons) we often did the opposite and punted on third down. I suspect that was in the odd-numbered years, when we were pretty bad, rather than in the even-numbered years when we were Ivy co-champions.
The teams when I was an undergrad would have been better served punting on first down.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: September 20, 2021 08:20PM

jtwcornell91

Always quick kick: they'll never see it coming!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: September 20, 2021 10:48PM

From the Sun article:

“I use an outside company that helps me with some analytics, and they tell me the odds on [each] down and distance,” Archer said. “The odds were slightly in my favor and I was feeling pretty aggressive. I liked the defense and I liked the O-line, so we rolled the dice.”

I guess everyone around me and I should start an "analytics" company. We all agreed prior to the snap that it was an inexplicable, boneheaded call.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: September 21, 2021 11:57AM

Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

“I use an outside company that helps me with some analytics, and they tell me the odds on [each] down and distance,” Archer said. “The odds were slightly in my favor and I was feeling pretty aggressive. I liked the defense and I liked the O-line, so we rolled the dice.”

I guess everyone around me and I should start an "analytics" company. We all agreed prior to the snap that it was an inexplicable, boneheaded call.

prettty much the same play thats on ESPN right now as Minn Sun not going from that spot in their game and being one of the worst calls of the season to kick .. The Analytics guys think going for it on that spot of the field is a better call than not..

What i wonder is what happens if Ala goes for it there 20 times and it works that doesnt mean Cornell should do it.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2021 04:04PM

upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

prettty much the same play thats on ESPN right now as Minn Sun not going from that spot in their game and being one of the worst calls of the season to kick .. The Analytics guys think going for it on that spot of the field is a better call than not..

What i wonder is what happens if Ala goes for it there 20 times and it works that doesnt mean Cornell should do it.
Especially given the track record of the guy who calls the spevific play.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2021 09:58AM

Al DeFlorio
upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

This sort of reads like he was told he has a slightly better than 50% chance of converting, and not considering the fact that we were on OUR OWN 35 YARD LINE. I would have agreed if we were on the opponent’s 41 or something like that where a punt doesn’t really help field position as much and a failure isn’t catastrophic (and basically guaranteed points against) as we saw. It was the wrong call any way you look at it.

Posted by: George64 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 10:03AM

Maybe Archer input the wrong 35 yard line!

Date: September 22, 2021 10:07AM

I think I need to learn to like this type of football!

Date: September 22, 2021 10:12AM

George64
I think I need to learn to like this type of football!
We any good?

Date: September 22, 2021 10:42AM

4-1-1. The tie Tuesday against a usually dominant ‘cuse team.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 10:50AM

CU2007
Al DeFlorio
upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

This sort of reads like he was told he has a slightly better than 50% chance of converting, and not considering the fact that we were on OUR OWN 35 YARD LINE. I would have agreed if we were on the opponent’s 41 or something like that where a punt doesn’t really help field position as much and a failure isn’t catastrophic (and basically guaranteed points against) as we saw. It was the wrong call any way you look at it.

Agreed, using "analytics" as an excuse is pretty sad. Dumb call by Archer.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2021 01:10PM

Ken711
CU2007
Al DeFlorio
upprdeck
Scersk '97
From the Sun article:

Agreed, using "analytics" as an excuse is pretty sad. Dumb call by Archer.

Shit, if you go by analytics, neither Cornell nor the NY Jets would step foot on the field.

Date: September 22, 2021 02:51PM

When sports people bring up analytics I always get the feeling it's like politicians bringing up science. "I want to see your applicable STEM degree before you even open your mouth."

Date: September 22, 2021 08:39PM

George64
Cornell men's soccer is currently 53 in RPI; we've played two teams ranked above us: a road tie against #33 Syracuse and a 2OT loss at #35 Wake Forest after having 2 of our players sent off in the closing minutes of regulation and playing OT down 11x9. The closest team in the Ivies to us currently is Yale, at 83.

Date: September 22, 2021 10:52PM

ugarte
George64
Cornell men's soccer is currently 53 in RPI; we've played two teams ranked above us: a road tie against #33 Syracuse and a 2OT loss at #35 Wake Forest after having 2 of our players sent off in the closing minutes of regulation and playing OT down 11x9. The closest team in the Ivies to us currently is Yale, at 83.

The Syracuse game was in Ithaca

Date: September 23, 2021 12:23AM

scoop85
ugarte
George64

The Syracuse game was in Ithaca
whoops. i caught that and changed one of the references to it being on the road but didn't realize that i'd typed a redundant sentence and missed the other one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login