Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New indoor campus recreation & sports center

Posted by CAS 
New indoor campus recreation & sports center
Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2021 03:31PM

It appears Cornell has completed fundraising & will begin construction on a new $25 million indoor facility. This should greatly benefit lacrosse, football, & the general student population.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 03:32PM by CAS.

Re: New indoor campus recreation & sports center
Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2021 06:00PM

CAS
It appears Cornell has completed fundraising & will begin construction on a new $25 million indoor facility. This should greatly benefit lacrosse, football, & the general student population.

Great news to hear! Have they settled on the location? I heard before there was talk of a campus location other the sports complex on Game Farm road that was being considered.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 06:00PM by Ken711.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2021 07:18AM

Believe Cornell was considering two on-campus sites - don’t know what was ultimately decided. The project is included in Cornell’s 2021-2 capital budget, & mentioned in a recent Andy fundraising email.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: June 27, 2021 08:36AM

yeah. I havent seen it confirmed if the site they chose has been officially announced yet and they stuck with where I was told. there really are not many options on campus anyway.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2021 10:17AM

I wonder if there is space for it next to Weill Hall.

Date: June 27, 2021 02:52PM

I have a couple mtgs this week and ask if the decision has become public.

it will be interesting to see the result of parking changes with so many employees being asked to not come back to campus.. parking has driven a bunch of decisions over the years but it may free up some space in places never planned on before.. something like the crescent lot is a huge chunk of campus. but the reality is you could expand the oxley lot, which isnt all that much further, and do something on the crescent lot one day.

if the master plan to move the baseball field and the Robison ALumni field. Dodson field and Berman field is followed then it would make sense to move an IPF out to game farm with all of those fields and that frees up campus for several new buildings.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2021 02:59PM by upprdeck.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2021 07:40PM

upprdeck
I have a couple mtgs this week and ask if the decision has become public.

it will be interesting to see the result of parking changes with so many employees being asked to not come back to campus.. parking has driven a bunch of decisions over the years but it may free up some space in places never planned on before.. something like the crescent lot is a huge chunk of campus. but the reality is you could expand the oxley lot, which isnt all that much further, and do something on the crescent lot one day.

if the master plan to move the baseball field and the Robison ALumni field. Dodson field and Berman field is followed then it would make sense to move an IPF out to game farm with all of those fields and that frees up campus for several new buildings.

Thanks, I'm interested if you find anything about the building site. I won't be surprised if it turns out to be the Game Farm complex given the new baseball stadium will be built there.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2021 10:45PM

If a fit-rec center is intended for students and if Cornell wants a campus that's like Princeton or Dartmouth only bigger (that is, walking distance for many things not just classes and libraries), a facility should be near where student dorms are. That's not out by Pine Tree Road / Game Farm Road.

The beginning of the end was when Lower Alumni Field, behind Teagle Hall, across from Barton Hall, became Comstock Hall in the mid-1970s. It should have gotten artificial turf and nicer stands. I'd rather see A.D. White House and the Big Red Barn put to a better use that is six stories tall before more on-campus sports facilities go away.

It'd be nice if students and athlete-students used the same building but if it's way to hell and gone, students would rather have expanded facilities near North and West Campus dorms.

Is there a time when replacements for Lynah and Schoellkopf move off campus? Perhaps the new football facility is named Archer Field in honor of Cornell's longest-tenured football coach.

Ironic that the Ivy's most rural campus other than Dartmouth suffers from sprawl.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2021 12:28AM

Pure speculation:

Looking at the campus master plan from a few years ago, I see some overlap with these words, but it's not obviously the same thing. The master plan shows some athletics and recreation building as am option in the space between Friedman Wrestling Center and Upper Alumni Field, with the north side aligned with the north side of Bartels. By eyeball the footprint is a little bigger than Friedman, but not much. Friedman cost $4.5M 20 years ago.

The master plan also envisions filling all of Upper Alumni Field from the Freidman Center east with academic, administrative, and residential buildings. They say explicitly "Provide residential amenities in base buildings (e.g. dining, fitness and recreation facilities)" The grass that remains is rebranded "Alumni Quad".

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2021 07:28AM

Again, as of a year ago, the two sites under consideration for this building were both on campus.

Date: June 29, 2021 11:53AM

billhoward
If a fit-rec center is intended for students and if Cornell wants a campus that's like Princeton or Dartmouth only bigger (that is, walking distance for many things not just classes and libraries), a facility should be near where student dorms are. That's not out by Pine Tree Road / Game Farm Road.

The beginning of the end was when Lower Alumni Field, behind Teagle Hall, across from Barton Hall, became Comstock Hall in the mid-1970s. It should have gotten artificial turf and nicer stands. I'd rather see A.D. White House and the Big Red Barn put to a better use that is six stories tall before more on-campus sports facilities go away.

It'd be nice if students and athlete-students used the same building but if it's way to hell and gone, students would rather have expanded facilities near North and West Campus dorms.

Is there a time when replacements for Lynah and Schoellkopf move off campus? Perhaps the new football facility is named Archer Field in honor of Cornell's longest-tenured football coach.

Ironic that the Ivy's most rural campus other than Dartmouth suffers from sprawl.

Archer Field? I almost spit out my breakfast cereal. :-O The field hockey field next to Weill Hall or the shot put and discus field at the far end of upper alumni field seem like the only spaces left that would fit on campus besides a site at Game Farm road.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: June 29, 2021 01:11PM

I guess I don't understand the big deal about moving the athletic facilities to Game Farm Rd.

I look at Lehigh where all their sports facilities (Football, basketball, lacrosse, etc.) are on the other side of the mountain from the main campus. It's a distance of 3-4 miles and it works just fine. They have a bus service that runs several times per hour on weekdays and les frequent on weekends (although I believe they add buses on game days). Plenty of parking for tailgating, too.

Date: June 30, 2021 12:11AM

One change over the arc of old-alums' lifetimes -- boy, that street name makes us sound rural -- is that there are few weekday afternoon sporting events now. If we play Syracuse in lax on a Tuesday, it's Tuesday night. Fewer times when someone might stroll over from the last afternoon class to see a sporting event played 5 minutes by foot from the Arts Quad.

I'm curious if we might see Cornell housing or private apartments develop near the new athletic facilities.

Yes, Lehigh's athletic fields are a hike from main campus. But Lehigh's Bethlehem is 2-3 times bigger than Ithaca and the campus is closer to the main part of town, so maybe they got landlocked early on.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2021 06:59AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I guess I don't understand the big deal about moving the athletic facilities to Game Farm Rd.

I look at Lehigh where all their sports facilities (Football, basketball, lacrosse, etc.) are on the other side of the mountain from the main campus. It's a distance of 3-4 miles and it works just fine. They have a bus service that runs several times per hour on weekdays and les frequent on weekends (although I believe they add buses on game days). Plenty of parking for tailgating, too.
Yale has the same situation. Outdoor athletics venues are remote from campus.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2021 10:16AM

As the NC$$ implodes and all that sweet sports money starts going to the athletes instead of the schools, I wonder whether the bubble on sports spending will finally burst.

An indoor campus recreation & sports center serves about 2% of the entire student population. Students would be far better served if everything spent on this kind of stuff went to lowering the cost of tuition, room, and board.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2021 10:18AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2021 11:08AM

Strongly disagree with the above sentiment. Expect the proposed recreation center will be used by thousands of students who are not varsity athletes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2021 11:38AM by CAS.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: June 30, 2021 12:43PM

Trotsky
As the NC$$ implodes and all that sweet sports money starts going to the athletes instead of the schools, I wonder whether the bubble on sports spending will finally burst.

An indoor campus recreation & sports center serves about 2% of the entire student population. Students would be far better served if everything spent on this kind of stuff went to lowering the cost of tuition, room, and board.

Geez, I was just about to advocate for a light rail line to the new ball field.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2021 12:50PM

marty
Trotsky

Geez, I was just about to advocate for a light rail line to the new ball field.
Hyperloop or nothing

Date: June 30, 2021 03:08PM

Trotsky

since none of the money spent on the IPF is coming from cornell , it indirectly does allow for money to be spent on other things..

Date: June 30, 2021 03:22PM

upprdeck
Trotsky

since none of the money spent on the IPF is coming from cornell , it indirectly does allow for money to be spent on other things..

Agreed. It will be a great addition to the facilities that students can utilize in addition to the various varsity sport teams. The eventual site location is less important to me, I'm just happy it's going to be built!

Date: July 01, 2021 07:17PM

after some conversations with people on campus who are pretty well placed when these things get done..

There is a lot of this project not really very well explained to people for something that has the look of a done deal.

Date: July 01, 2021 10:16PM

upprdeck
after some conversations with people on campus who are pretty well placed when these things get done..

There is a lot of this project not really very well explained to people for something that has the look of a done deal.
Cornell's fear that a hard-hitting analysis by the Ithaca Journal might sway minds ... is likely unfounded.

Date: August 23, 2021 12:00PM

Anymore news on this? I see there is a line item of $5 million of the total $25 million facility cost in the 21-22 Cornell budget. I assume the $5 million is for initial design work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login