Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse 2022

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Cornell lacrosse 2022
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2021 09:31PM

714 days between Cornell's last game and the opener Saturday, February 19 versus Albany 12 noon at Schoellkopf Field. Here's the pre-season top 20 where Cornell is 15th, the schedule, and pre-season All-Americas where John Piatelli is Cornell's only selection (HM).

Cornell 2022 lacrosse
02/19	vs UAlbany	W 16 -  8
02/26	@ Lehigh	W  9 -  5	
03/01	vs Hobart	W 14 - 12 	
03/05	vs Ohio State	W 14 - 11		
03/12	@ Penn State	
03/19	vs Yale		
03/26	@ Penn		
03/29	@ Colgate		
04/02	@ Dartmouth	
04/09	vs Harvard	
04/11	@ Syracuse	
04/16	vs Army		
04/23	vs Brown		
04/30	@ Princeton

USILA Pre-Season 2022 Poll D1
Team (1sts)      Rank   WL   Points   Vs. Cornell
Virginia (16)	   1	0-0	320	
Maryland (1)	   2	0-0	303	
Duke	           3	0-0	291	
North Carolina	   4	0-0	254	
Notre Dame	   5	0-0	244	
Georgetown	   5	0-0	244	
Yale	           7	0-0	202	3/19 12 noon (ECAC finals LP) 
Penn	           8    0-0	165	@ 3/26 1 pm 
Loyola	           9	0-0	156	
Rutgers	          10	0-0	153	
Syracuse	  11	0-0	137	@ 4/11 Monday 7pm 
Denver	          12	0-0	134	
Army	          13	0-0	113	4/16 3 pm 
Lehigh	          14	0-0	91	
Cornell	          15	0-0	74	
Johns Hopkins	  16	0-0	61	
Drexel	          17	0-0	43	
Princeton	  18	0-0	40      @ 4/30 12 noon RS final	
Delaware	  19	0-0	32	
Penn State 	  20	0-0	30	@ 3/12 (ECAC QFinals weekend) 
Also receiving votes: Albany (NY) (25) 2/19 2pm, Vermont (25), Bryant (22), Villanova (16), Ohio State (15) 3/5 12 noon, Massachusetts (12), High Point (11), Navy (9), and Richmond (8).
I believe every Cornell non-Ivy opponent is ranked, except Hobart and Colgate. Pretty even split between ranked-opponent home/away games. Midweek games away: Syracuse on a Monday, Colgate on a Tuesday.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2022 05:25PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2022
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2021 11:24AM

So, is it a complete unknown, or will we be bad for a while recovering from the down time?

Date: June 08, 2021 03:05PM

The other Ivies are recovering from the same downtime but it's Penn and Princeton not Cornell among the top ten recruiting. classes.[www.insidelacrosse.com]

Inside Lacrosse Top 100 Recruits, Cornell
41 Danny Caddigan, Attack, Smithtown West, NY
63 Christopher Cappelmann, FOGO, Smithtown East, NY
99 Sean Fox, Long Stick, Fairfield Prep then Taft School

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2021 05:02PM

Our 2020 freshman class is stellar (scroll down to the top classes). Looking forward to seeing them in action next year.

Posted by: profudge (---.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2021 03:52PM

My brother taught at Taft 'til he retired couple of years ago. He said that the #2 is a faculty child and is very good. So if Sean Fox came in and is the #1 there this year he must be pretty decent. P.S. Taft just won the GIECO national championship series a week ago.

Date: June 16, 2021 11:04PM

Tehoka Nanticoke, late of U Albany (170 points in 40 games) enters the NCAA transfer portal. Ask your Cornell doctor if Nanticoke is right for you? [www.insidelacrosse.com]

Dave Pietremala, late of Hopkins lacrosse coaching, is verbally committed to be the Syracuse assistant under new HC Gary Gait. He had a cup of coffee in Ithaca as HC 1998-2001 (6-7, 7-6, 10-4) succeeding Richie Moran, then bailed for his alma mater and went 207-93 over two decades with two championships, but the last one was 2005. He finished the Covid-shortened Hopkins 2021 season working with his twin sons en route to a Maryland HS state title. Syracuse now has a player of the year as HC and as defensive coordinator. [www.insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: June 17, 2021 09:56AM

now the story is will the kids follow him to SU.. As an employee they could get a pretty sweet deal and not count towards Scholie limits..

Date: June 18, 2021 01:56PM

Jim Boeheim's son did matriculate in Ithaca. And left early but not for the pros. Now he's back at Syracuse with dad and brother Buddy.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2021 12:45AM

billhoward
Jim Boeheim's son did matriculate in Ithaca. And left early but not for the pros. Now he's back at Syracuse with dad and brother Buddy.
did he leave early? i thought he graduated. he could have done the grad year at cornell but chose to go home after missing a year of basketball.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2021 08:46AM

ugarte
billhoward
did he leave early? i thought he graduated. he could have done the grad year at cornell but chose to go home after missing a year of basketball.

He graduated and is playing his grad year for his father.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2021 10:39AM

scoop85
ugarte
billhoward

Really difficult to question his doing that.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2021 09:26PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
ugarte
billhoward

Really difficult to question his doing that.
That still won't stop someone on this forum from doing so anyway!

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2021 11:29PM

Trotsky
So, is it a complete unknown, or will we be bad for a while recovering from the down time?

Probably 2022 a down year but I think we have great coaches and we don't be down forever.

Date: July 04, 2021 02:51PM

mike1960
Trotsky

Probably 2022 a down year but I think we have great coaches and we don't be down forever.

Even without Teat still a lot of talent on the roster. Ivies will be strong as usual.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: July 06, 2021 10:01AM

mike1960
Trotsky

Thank you.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2021 11:30AM

scoop85
mike1960
Trotsky

Even without Teat still a lot of talent on the roster. Ivies will be strong as usual.

Would have loved to have picked up Kieb from J-D. Looks like Yale got a good one.

Posted by: mike1960 (185.203.219.---)
Date: October 25, 2021 09:24PM

What are the realistic expectations for the team this spring?

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2022 07:44PM

Interesting news coming from the NCAA Convention-Passed a resolution allowing a number of D3 schools playing D1 sports to offer athletic scholarships. RIT in men's and women's ice hockey, Union in men's and women's ice hockey, MIT (!) in rowing and Hobart in men's lacrosse. Restrictions have been put in because athletes on athletic aid at Hobart can only play lacrosse and cannot play at any other sport. Hobart's lacrosse program especially back in its D3 days thrived on dual sports athletes playing both football and lacrosse.

Posted by: Swampy (185.240.244.---)
Date: January 22, 2022 09:41PM

rss77
Interesting news coming from the NCAA Convention-Passed a resolution allowing a number of D3 schools playing D1 sports to offer athletic scholarships. RIT in men's and women's ice hockey, Union in men's and women's ice hockey, MIT (!) in rowing and Hobart in men's lacrosse. Restrictions have been put in because athletes on athletic aid at Hobart can only play lacrosse and cannot play at any other sport. Hobart's lacrosse program especially back in its D3 days thrived on dual sports athletes playing both football and lacrosse.

That’s crazy. If a student-athlete wants to play multiple sports, they should be free to do so. Maybe exclude them from the athletic scholarship pool and make the compete for need-based and academic-merit-based financial aid.

Date: January 22, 2022 10:00PM

Swampy
That’s crazy. If a student-athlete wants to play multiple sports, they should be free to do so. Maybe exclude them from the athletic scholarship pool and make the compete for need-based and academic-merit-based financial aid.
Crazy in some unexpected way? The NCAA is involved.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2022 10:13AM

Swampy
rss77

Yes, but if a school is bringing in scholarship level athletes ON scholarship to play D1 football, and those same superior athletes are dominating on a D3 lacrosse field where scholarships are not allowed, it does bring up “level playing field” questions in my mind. Tricky situation.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 11:58AM

Swampy
rss77

without even reading the source article, @rss77 said "athletes on athletic aid" so that would seem to mean that you can play multiple sports as long as you aren't on a lacrosse scholarship but normal financial aid would be fine.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-141.myvzw.com)
Date: January 23, 2022 01:00PM

Hopkins lacrosse too?

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2022 01:25PM

arugula
Hopkins lacrosse too?
Hopkins lacrosse already was allowed to have scholarships under a grandfather clause (much like RPI, Clarkson and St. Lawrence have long had hockey scholarships). Hobart and the schools affected by the recent ruling had moved teams up to DI after whatever the cutoff date was.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2022 01:26PM by Weder.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-197-141.myvzw.com)
Date: January 23, 2022 04:15PM

Gotcha.

Date: February 01, 2022 08:59AM

Interesting book coming, especially for us old guys who watched it happen:

[cornellbigred.com]

Date: February 01, 2022 04:34PM

Al DeFlorio

[cornellbigred.com]
The closer game, arguably the de faco title game, was not the Cornell-Maryland final but the semifinal the week before at Army (now: Army West Point). Richard Nixon was on campus in the morning, unrelated to the game, but it was the same press pass that got sportswriters into the mainstream press room. Thanks for the lunch.

The conspiracy theorists had it that Cornell was paired against Army to avoid there not be zero southern schools in the finals. (Maryland-Navy was the other semifinal.) Or it could just be it was cheaper on NCAA travel budgets.

Back and forth, Cornell eked out a 17-16 semifinal win. Two of the game's best attackmen, Cornell's Al Rimmer vs. Army's Tom Cafaro. Seems like only yesterday. Cornell played with its backup goalie, Bob Buhmann (RIP), who if I recall was named honoraable mention All-America and injured Bob Rule was first team. Yes, it's long ago and I also realize how little I'd care about some old fart Cornellian telling me about the glories of 1921 Cornell football.

The year before, Cornell went unbeaten and in the final poll, finished fourth behind teams with at least one loss. Southern teams.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 02, 2022 06:59AM

I'm hoping the book includes at least something about Ned Harkness' teams of 66-68 (32-1). Richie gets a lot of well deserved credit, but Ned took a team with mediocre to bad records to two undefeated seasons and is really the one who started the whole thing. While simultaneously doing pretty good things with hockey.

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 02, 2022 12:36PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio

[cornellbigred.com]
The closer game, arguably the de faco title game, was not the Cornell-Maryland final but the semifinal the week before at Army (now: Army West Point). Richard Nixon was on campus in the morning, unrelated to the game, but it was the same press pass that got sportswriters into the mainstream press room. Thanks for the lunch.

The conspiracy theorists had it that Cornell was paired against Army to avoid there not be zero southern schools in the finals. (Maryland-Navy was the other semifinal.) Or it could just be it was cheaper on NCAA travel budgets.

Back and forth, Cornell eked out a 17-16 semifinal win. Two of the game's best attackmen, Cornell's Al Rimmer vs. Army's Tom Cafaro. Seems like only yesterday. Cornell played with its backup goalie, Bob Buhmann (RIP), who if I recall was named honoraable mention All-America and injured Bob Rule was first team. Yes, it's long ago and I also realize how little I'd care about some old fart Cornellian telling me about the glories of 1921 Cornell football.

The year before, Cornell went unbeaten and in the final poll, finished fourth behind teams with at least one loss. Southern teams.

Hey, I'll take up the mantle for the old fart! My grandfather was a starting tackle and placekicker for the unbeaten 21 and 22 teams. Not to mention an EIWA (before the NC$$) champion wrestler at 167 or so lbs.

Hopefully I've succeeded in putting you to sleep already...

Date: February 02, 2022 12:54PM

Cornell picked to finish third in preseason Ivy poll. Yale received 13 of 14 first-place votes (we received the other). Penn also picked ahead of us.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2022 02:56PM

dbilmes
Cornell picked to finish third in preseason Ivy poll. Yale received 13 of 14 first-place votes (we received the other). Penn also picked ahead of us.

Times have changed, it used to be Princeton or Cornell alternating the top spot in the pre-season Ivy poll.

Date: February 05, 2022 09:50AM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio

[cornellbigred.com]

Great memories! Keep them coming!

Date: February 05, 2022 11:14AM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio

[cornellbigred.com]

I could be wrong, but I recall the tournament brackets were done that way to ensure a northern team would be in the finals, and it wouldn't be an all-south final. After all, lacrosse was a Maryland-centric game. Talk at the time was that the "south" semifinal was really going to be the effective championship game. Surprise!

Date: February 05, 2022 11:27AM

mike1960
billhoward
Al DeFlorio

[cornellbigred.com]

Great memories! Keep them coming!
OK. Here's a pretty good memory. Was at the Dome for this one: [youtu.be]

Date: February 05, 2022 07:12PM

I was there for all the games. The Army game at Army was fabulous. I feel like I'm doing a good deed, passing along Cornell sports history before we're all gone.

In my undergrad years, I remember somebody telling me about the 1960s football exploits of Gary Wood and Pete Gogolak and thinking, God, don't bore me with old-timey stuff. Now I'm trying to tell people about truly old stuff. But that 1967-1977 era was amazing.

Date: February 05, 2022 08:09PM

Al DeFlorio
I could be wrong, but I recall the tournament brackets were done that way to ensure a northern team would be in the finals, and it wouldn't be an all-south final. After all, lacrosse was a Maryland-centric game. Talk at the time was that the "south" semifinal was really going to be the effective championship game. Surprise!
Al! You're too kind to the lacrosse monarchists of the era. I think they knew that even though Cornell in 1970 was ranked fourth -- by the lax insiders and their ilk -- behind three once-beaten Secession-state teams, they might have suspected there was a chance the top teams would come out of the North a year later. So it's least as probable that the seeding into North and South, plus Air Force tossed in as cannon fodder, would ensure a traditional lax school - read, South - would be at Hofstra on the championship weekend.

Cornell, the best team, also played the two closest games: winning 10-8 over Brown then 17-16 over Army. To me, the top 2 teams were Cornell and Army, and Brown had it been sent down South, would have been in the final four also. Trying to remember if Dom Starsia, ex Virginia coach, played D for Brown that 1971 seasons or he was still a freshman.

Date: February 05, 2022 08:20PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
Al! You're too kind to the lacrosse monarchists of the era. I think they knew that even though Cornell in 1970 was ranked fourth -- by the lax insiders and their ilk -- behind three once-beaten Secession-state teams, they might have suspected there was a chance the top teams would come out of the North a year later. So it's least as probable that the seeding into North and South, plus Air Force tossed in as cannon fodder, would ensure a traditional lax school - read, South - would be at Hofstra on the championship weekend.

Cornell, the best team, also played the two closest games: winning 10-8 over Brown then 17-16 over Army. To me, the top 2 teams were Cornell and Army, and Brown had it been sent down South, would have been in the final four also. Trying to remember if Dom Starsia, ex Virginia coach, played D for Brown that 1971 seasons or he was still a freshman.
Cornell may have finished as the "best team," but they were seeded third of the four "north" teams and had to beat Btown at Brown and then Army at West Point to get to the championship game.

Date: February 05, 2022 08:52PM

Al, I have photos from the Brown-Cornell game at Cornell in 1971. It could be the regular season game but I'm pretty sure it was the NCAA tournament game. We beat Brown handily in the RS, we only lost the first game of the year, so I thought we were seeded high enough that we didn't have to go on the road for the first tournament game. But, you know, it's been a long time.

I know we played Army at Army because Richard Nixon was on campus a couple hours before Army-Cornell and I have photos of him. You know Nixon would not have set foot on the Cornell campus during the Vietnam war. So I think I've got that game-site right.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2022 01:29PM

billhoward

Trying to remember if Dom Starsia, ex Virginia coach, played D for Brown that 1971 seasons or he was still a freshman.

He was still a freshman and therefore ineligible for the varsity. Had he played, maybe we don't get ten goals.

Date: February 06, 2022 01:58PM

TimV
billhoward
Trying to remember if Dom Starsia, ex Virginia coach, played D for Brown that 1971 seasons or he was still a freshman.
He was still a freshman and therefore ineligible for the varsity. Had he played, maybe we don't get ten goals.
Cornell would have its Class of 1974 players on the field spring of 1971 as well.

Spring ahead three years: Imagine if in 1974 if Eamon McEneaney '77 had been eligible to play with A Mike French '76 in spring 1974 along with D Dave Devine *and* transfer Jim Trenz from Penn State who was first team AA in 1974 (47G-41A--91 points). Cornell beat Virginia in the first round 15-8 then went to Maryland and lost 19-10.

McEneaney played in a HS tournament at Schoellkopf his HS senior year (1973) and nobody else was near him in ability. He was ready for college D1 right then and there. So, the Ivies lost a lot of opportunities in the 1970s, Brown, Cornell and the others. Harvard still would have sucked, but all four classes would have been involved.

Date: February 06, 2022 03:16PM

Great point.

Date: February 06, 2022 04:38PM

TimV
Great point.
And with that, I'll try to think about 2022 not five decades earlier, even if that was the decade that gave us our three national championships. We owned Syracuse then. One game was 21-3. Also the era of freshman or JV teams; Syracuse's was the Tangerines.

Date: February 14, 2022 01:36PM

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

8. Cornell

I’m higher on the Ivy League teams than most others, and that’s due to a combination of what I saw live and on film in the fall (the Ivy League teams were very good against a range of competition, from Cornell’s performance vs. Maryland, Yale’s vs. Syracuse and Ohio State, Penn’s vs. Navy, Princeton’s vs. Towson) and my opinion that the effects of not having played since March 2020 won’t be was negative as others think. Perhaps that’ll prove to be a bad opinion.

That said, having Penn and Cornell ranked beside each other seems justified on the basis of their scrimmage showings vs. Drexel the last two weeks. In Sam Handley, the Quakers have a player who might be the best in the country; it sounds like he’ll run at attack with Dylan Gergar and Cam Rubin. The close defense will be very inexperienced. Cornell’s attack of John Piatelli, Michael Long and CJ Kirst will be daunting, and it sounds like middie Hugh Kelleher could be a breakout star this season.

Penn opens with Georgetown on Saturday, and Cornell hosts UAlbany at 1 p.m.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2022 - Albany 2/19
Date: February 14, 2022 02:33PM

Cornell opens the season hosting Albany Saturday (Feb. 19), Cornell lax schedule says 2 p.m. I called the Cornell ticket office about admissions limits at Schoellkopf (50% rule?), Covid policy, etcetera: it's free for the first two games (Albany then Hobart Tuesday, March 1, 5 pm), just walk in. LGR!

Date: February 19, 2022 10:16AM

good thing the game isnt right now.. cant see 20 ft outside here.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-242-133.myvzw.com)
Date: February 19, 2022 10:35AM

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

Good article on what to expect.

Date: February 19, 2022 11:01AM

did they factor in below 20 with 20-30 mph winds and snow bursts.. we just got 2 inches in about 15 min here.

Date: February 19, 2022 02:14PM

They are doing a great job finding the open man off the double and the slide.

Date: February 19, 2022 02:43PM

Good first period. Dreadful second halfway through.

Date: February 19, 2022 03:01PM

First game issues: bad turnovers, a little hero ball, and falling asleep on defense in the second quarter. Sadly, it looks like the FOGO position will be a problem again this year.

The Albany goalie made some great saves. It felt like Cornell was going to blow them out until the major penalty that led to two Albany goals.

Date: February 19, 2022 03:04PM

the albany kid made 3-4 big saves or the lead would be like 5-6 still.

Date: February 19, 2022 05:36PM

Nice win against solid competition. CJ Kirst and Aiden Blake had terrific games. Chayse Ierlan made some great saves and overall looked strong. Freshman Christopher Davis was a ballhawk. He's going to help the team this year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2022 05:36PM by mike1960.

Posted by: billhoward (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2022 10:35PM

Man, it was cold at the game, just about 20F. Two hours before gametime, a snow squall dropped visibility to about 100 feet.

Fabulous debut by #15 sophomore CJ Kirst out of NJ prep power Delbarton, same school as Jack Malone
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2022 10:45PM by billhoward.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2022 11:07PM

Watched the beginning and Cornell scored 5 without resistance. Next time I looked it was like 9-7 so I watched until the lead was big again.

Date: February 19, 2022 11:18PM

seemed like both teams hit a wall after the cold set in.. Cornell really played well the last 15min to put it away.

Date: February 19, 2022 11:42PM

mike1960
Sadly, it looks like the FOGO position will be a problem again this year.

Petraikis won 61% (46-29) his faceoffs in the partial 2020 season against strong competition, better than then #1 face Rasimowicz. He was 10-13 today, with at least three of those losses on violations. Mark Psyllos, his freshman backup and an outstanding faceoff guy in HS, was 2-2. Time will tell more, but I disagree. The new faceoff rules will not make it easy to win a lot of faceoffs to yourself. The wing play will be more important than before.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2022 09:27AM

billhoward
Man, it was cold at the game, just about 20F. Two hours before gametime, a snow squall dropped visibility to about 100 feet.

Fabulous debut by #15 sophomore CJ Kirst out of NJ prep power Delbarton, same school as Jack Malone

Thanks for the photo!

Date: February 20, 2022 10:11AM

TimV
mike1960
Sadly, it looks like the FOGO position will be a problem again this year.

Petraikis won 61% (46-29) his faceoffs in the partial 2020 season against strong competition, better than then #1 face Rasimowicz. He was 10-13 today, with at least three of those losses on violations. Mark Psyllos, his freshman backup and an outstanding faceoff guy in HS, was 2-2. Time will tell more, but I disagree. The new faceoff rules will not make it easy to win a lot of faceoffs to yourself. The wing play will be more important than before.

Regan Endres, the UAlbany FOGO, ranked fourth in the American East Conference in 2021. No disrespect, but we were less than 50% against him, and the competition will get a lot tougher.

Date: February 20, 2022 10:16AM

under 50% isnt the issue.. its when its way under 40% you have problem.. if you go 4-6 you can survive.

Date: February 20, 2022 10:18AM

upprdeck
under 50% isnt the issue.. its when its way under 40% you have problem.. if you go 4-6 you can survive.

To win championships? Not so sure.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2022 10:23AM

Performance in the Albany game notwithstanding, I think I agree with Tim that FOGO should at least not be a weakness. Petraikis' and Psyllos' pedigrees are such that we shouldn't be having a repeat of our faceoff woes from the 2017-2019 years. Biggest question for me is how our close D and goalie play hold up, since I expect our offense to be just fine.

Date: February 20, 2022 09:05PM

It's only one game. But CJ Kirst looks like the real deal. Here, after his 7th point, the takeaway from the Albany goaltender late in Q4 to double the score on Albany.

Date: February 21, 2022 01:27PM

Terry Foy ranks Cornell at 8

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

8. Cornell Thankfully, Albany made it safely to Ithaca and we were able to get eyes on the Big Red. It appears the hype around CJ Kirst (4G, 3A) was warranted, and Aidan Blake (4G, 1A) is en route to the forecasted breakout season. Chayse Ierlan (9 saves) was above 50%, which was an important outcome for this team given how 2020 had gone for him. Regan Endres was good facing off for UAlbany, so the Big Red will have to devise a plan for Sisselberger next weekend. Hobart and Ohio State then come to the Crescent, so it appears we’ll be able to develop a sense for how good the defense is in short order.

Date: February 21, 2022 02:06PM

another team that doesnt need to be dominant at the X to compete, just cant be awful.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2022 - pre-season All=-America
Date: February 21, 2022 04:38PM

Moving the pre-season All-America team thread to a separate post. It was making the first post too long.

----------------

In terms of individual talent, we just suck. If you believe the Inside Lacrosse pre-season All-America team poll. 80 names, only attackman John Piatelli merits ... honorable mention. So maybe we can sneak up on somebody unannounced. [edit add 2/21: #7 CJ Kirst, 4-3-7 in his first Cornell game, is no longer under the radar. Ditto #2 Aiden Blake, a junior middie who only played a bit freshman year, with 4-1--5 Saturday]

2022 Pre-Season All-American Team [www.insidelacrosse.com]

First Team
A	Chris Gray	North Carolina
A	Connor Shellenberger	Virginia
A	Pat Kavanagh	Notre Dame
M	Sam Handley	Penn
M	Jack Hannah	Denver
M	Graham Bundy	Georgetown
FO	Mike Sisselberger	Lehigh
SSDM	Connor Maher	North Carolina
SSDM	Roman Puglise	Maryland
LSM	Ryan McNulty	Loyola
D	Will Bowen	Georgetown
D	Brett Makar	Maryland
D	Marcus Hudgins 	Army
G	Owen McElroy	Georgetown

Second Team
A	Logan Wisnauskas	Maryland
A	Matt Moore	Virginia
A	Brendan Nichtern	Army
M	Nakeie Montgomery	Duke
M	Kyle Long	Maryland
M	Jonathan Donville	Maryland
FO	Petey LaSalla	Virginia
SSDM	Zach Geddes	Georgetown
SSDM	Ryan Hallenbeck	Notre Dame
LSM	Tyler Carpenter	Duke
D	Gibson Smith	Georgetown
D	Owen Grant	Delaware
D	Chris Fake	Yale
G	Liam Entenmann	Notre Dame

Third Team
A	Brennan O'Neill	Duke
A	Matt Brandau	Yale
A	Asher Nolting	High Point
M	Tucker Dordevic	Syracuse
M	Matt Campbell	Villanova
M	Thomas McConvey	Vermont
FO	Zach Cole	Saint Joseph's
SSDM	Grayson Sallade	Virginia
SSDM	Jake Stevens	Princeton
LSM	Ethan Rall	Rutgers
D	George Baughan	Princeton
D	Arden Cohen	Notre Dame
D	Cam Wyers	Loyola
G	Colin Kirst	Rutgers

Honorable Mention
A	Owen Hiltz	Syracuse
A	Ryan Lanchbury 	Richmond
A	Marc O'Rourke	Bryant
A	Mike Robinson	Delaware
A	John Piatelli	Cornell
A	Kevin Lindley	Loyola
A	TJ Haley	Georgetown
A	Connor DeSimone	Johns Hopkins
M	Brendan Curry	Syracuse
M	Dylan Hess	Georgetown
M	Wheaton Jackoboice	Notre Dame
M	Anthony DeMaio	Maryland
M	David Sprock	Rutgers
M	Tye Kurtz	Delaware
M	Alex Simmons	Denver
FO	Tommy Burke	Vermont
FO	Bailey Savio	Loyola
FO	Jake Naso	Duke
FO	Alec Stathakis	Denver
FO	Zac Tucci	North Carolina
SSDM	George Grippo	Drexel
SSDM	Payton Rezanka	Loyola
SSDM	Brennan Kamish	Rutgers
LSM	Matt Wright	North Carolina
LSM	Teddy Leggett	Lehigh
LSM	BJ Farrare	Penn
LSM	Brett Kennedy	Syracuse
D	Cade Saustad	Virginia
D	Kenny Brower	Duke
D	Koby Smith	Towson
D	Jason Reynolds	Notre Dame
D	Owen Prybylski	Maryland
D	Sean Quinn	Drexel
G	Mike Adler	Duke
G	Will Mark	LIU
G	Logan McNaney	Maryland
G	Collin Krieg	North Carolina

[Posted ~ June 2021]
Cornell and the Ivies are back on track to play next season.

Cornell's interim coaches are now permanent.

Inside Lacrosse top recruits and recruiting classes: [www.insidelacrosse.com]
1. North Carolina
2. Notre Dame
3. Maryland
4. Penn State
5. Duke
6. Penn
7. Virginia
8. Georgetown
9. Army
10. Princeton

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2022 - pre-season All=-America
Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2022 05:26PM

M Jonathan Donville Maryland
cry

Date: February 26, 2022 01:03PM

Let's go!

Date: February 26, 2022 01:14PM

Ball screen is working pretty well so far.

Date: February 26, 2022 01:32PM

Zero off ball movement on one possession. People just standing around like they're waiting for a bus.

Date: February 26, 2022 01:34PM

mike1960
Zero off ball movement on one possession. People just standing around like they're waiting for a bus.

Exactly what I came here to post. No Mikey Long today, and we seem a bit lost offensively

Date: February 26, 2022 01:41PM

CJ does a nice job with his feet to get open in front of the cage. He's been playing great. Why is Mikey Long not playing?

Date: February 26, 2022 01:43PM

Cornell is doing a beautiful job on the defensive switches.

Date: February 26, 2022 01:48PM

mike1960
CJ does a nice job with his feet to get open in front of the cage. He's been playing great. Why is Mikey Long not playing?

Long has an unspecified injury. Speculating that it could be related to the vicious slash he took last week

Date: February 26, 2022 01:51PM

scoop85
mike1960

Long has an unspecified injury. Speculating that it could be related to the vicious slash he took last week

It looked like that shot on Long really hurt him.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (74.119.160.---)
Date: February 26, 2022 01:54PM

Need better than 30% on faceoffs.

Date: February 26, 2022 01:56PM

Al DeFlorio
Sisselberger is really good, but yeah. It's going to be hard to pull away.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 01:58PM by mike1960.

Date: February 26, 2022 01:57PM

5-3 Cornell at the half. Both goalies with some nice saves, and our D has been excellent. As Al says, faceoffs are a problem.

Date: February 26, 2022 01:59PM

scoop85
5-3 Cornell at the half. Both goalies with some nice saves, and our D has been excellent. As Al says, faceoffs are a problem.

Chayse had some nice saves, but he's also getting beat on the outside shot. His vision might have been blocked, but that's how Lehigh is hanging in.

Date: February 26, 2022 02:01PM

mike1960
scoop85

Chayse had some nice saves, but he's also getting beat on the outside shot. His vision might have been blocked, but that's how Lehigh is hanging in.

Yeah, a couple he’d probably like back

Date: February 26, 2022 02:14PM

Their goalie is keeping them in this game.

Date: February 26, 2022 02:16PM

Piatelli needs to step up and assert himself.

Date: February 26, 2022 02:22PM

They need to shoot low on this goalie. He's really seeing the ones in front of him.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2022 02:22PM

Al DeFlorio

I thought we fixed this problem?

Date: February 26, 2022 02:26PM

With their FOGO and goalie, Lehigh is a tough group.

Posted by: dbilmes (38.126.101.---)
Date: February 26, 2022 02:26PM

At least we only lost one faceoff in the third quarter.

Date: February 26, 2022 02:27PM

The good news is we shut them out in the 3rQ. Bad news is we didn’t score either.

Piatelli is getting frustrated, as evidenced by a couple of long range shots early in the clock shot.

PSU, which has struggled this year, beat Yale 10-6. That’s sports for you.

Date: February 26, 2022 02:31PM

Petrakis!!

Date: February 26, 2022 02:33PM

We're getting some good looks driving the alley.

Date: February 26, 2022 02:42PM

Aiden couldn't believe they left him alone and drained it.

Posted by: Cornell95 (8.47.99.---)
Date: February 26, 2022 02:44PM

can we get some help for this camera operator?

Date: February 26, 2022 02:48PM

Cornell95

Following the ball doesn't appear to be his/her priority.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 26, 2022 02:49PM

dbilmes
At least we only lost one faceoff in the third quarter.

Took me a second...whistle

Date: February 26, 2022 02:58PM

Nice win. See you blokes next week.

Date: February 26, 2022 03:10PM

scoop85
The good news is we shut them out in the 3rQ. Bad news is we didn’t score either.

Piatelli is getting frustrated, as evidenced by a couple of long range shots early in the clock shot.

PSU, which has struggled this year, beat Yale 10-6. That’s sports for you.
Penn over Duke in OT.

21 saves for PSU goalie to beat Yale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2022 03:16PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: February 26, 2022 03:24PM

mike1960

Don’t forget we have Hobart at home Tuesday

Date: February 26, 2022 07:33PM

scoop85
mike1960

Don’t forget we have Hobart at home Tuesday

Thanks for the heads up, Scoop85!

Date: February 27, 2022 12:07PM

Cornell95
Colgate hockey camera work was pretty bad as well. Ditto Princeton hockey Saturday night.

Date: February 27, 2022 12:18PM

We did well on faceoffs in the fourth quarter.

Date: February 28, 2022 11:08AM

billhoward
Cornell95
Colgate hockey camera work was pretty bad as well. Ditto Princeton hockey Saturday night.

All true. But I'd be happy to see games if they only came from a GoCam mounted on the hat of a drunken fan.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (38.81.106.---)
Date: February 28, 2022 11:18AM

TimV
billhoward
Cornell95

All true. But I'd be happy to see games if they only came from a GoCam mounted on the hat of a drunken fan.

With resolution so bad that you could only determine where the puck was by the actions of the blocky things that kind of looked like players, i.e., the early internet broadcast days.

Page:  1 234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login