Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ivy League looking to move Fall sports to Spring

Posted by Ken711 
Ivy League looking to move Fall sports to Spring
Posted by: Ken711 (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 02, 2020 08:27AM

Ivy League eyes seven-game spring football season in lieu of fall sports.

"The conference on Wednesday released a statement that a decision on fall sports will be made in a week, but indications are they will not be held in the fall and a seven-game football season of conference-only games will be played in the spring, multiple sources told The Post. Ivy League presidents met on Tuesday and are still figuring out their academic calendars, a source said. The conference has petitioned the NCAA to move football to the spring, according to sources."

[nypost.com]

Re: Ivy League looking to move Fall sports to Spring
Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2020 02:49PM

can't lose 8 in a 7 game season

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.115.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 12:15PM

Harvard just announced that all undergrad instruction for 2020-21 will be online. Does that mean they're going to have the athletes on campus but no other students? Or are they going to cancel all of their sports seasons?

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:08PM

Princeton just announced a split schedule.. Fr/JR on campus in the fall SO/SR in the spring.. Maybe athletes get additional to that?

not sure what it means to kids in courses with lab work.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:16PM

I thought Harvard also said they would allow up to 40% (including all freshman) to be on campus. If the freshman are a quarter of their students, that doesn't leave much other room.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2020 01:46PM

Still won't be long enough. This is just a long, slow, dumb march towards eventually canceling all of 20-21 the way they should.

Date: July 06, 2020 01:49PM

mountainred
I thought Harvard also said they would allow up to 40% (including all freshman) to be on campus. If the freshman are a quarter of their students, that doesn't leave much other room.
Harvard is supposedly debating between high and low density plans.

Their main thing is they are holding tuition the same so they have to give their idiots a reason to think they are receiving "value." So even though they are going to all on-line classes the good exchanged is "we'll still put your kids in danger, we just won't teach them in person because you may be a moron but our professors aren't."

The main takeaway here is nobody wants their college-age kids home, even if it means their deaths. I think all parents can understand that.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2020 01:52PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 07, 2020 09:49AM

upprdeck
Princeton just announced a split schedule.. Fr/JR on campus in the fall SO/SR in the spring.. Maybe athletes get additional to that?

not sure what it means to kids in courses with lab work.

For the school that had Einstein, Nash, and Von Neumann on its faculty, the mathematics here are puzzling. Isn't it more likely that some frosh might have AP credit and need to take courses commonly offered to sophomores? That some juniors who did so when they were frosh now have room in their schedules for senior-level courses?

If we assume the probability of needing or wanting a course outside one's grade level is highest for courses in adjacent grade levels, why eliminate all adjacent grade levels?

Date: July 07, 2020 10:58AM

i dont think they are removing courses just limiting who is on campus.. so a FR who needs a SO class might be taking that one online or be the only kid in the room I suppose.

Also what number of kids are in Dorms there? I would think maybe all FR and then less as it goes on.. This allows for spreading the kids around the Dorms and maybe by spring life is better.

Date: July 07, 2020 11:29AM

If they were concerned about the health of the students (spoiler: they are not) they would close the dorms and the frat houses or dinner clubs or whatever they call buying your friends at Princeton.

As bad as 12 idiots in an off campus house is, 40 in a frat house or 100 in a dorm is far worse.

Date: July 07, 2020 11:31AM

ugarte
can't lose 8 in a 7 game season
Challenge accepted!

Note: this used to be a Columbia joke but now it's us.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2020 11:03PM

Archer skeptical about spring football happening.

[cornellsun.com]

“How on earth do you appropriately schedule the facilities, the training staff, and all of the shared resources at work?” Archer said. “Who would you give priority to? Would you say, ‘Man, the winter and spring kids got their season crushed [last year] — I guess they get first priority.’ And then what do we do, go to Schoellkopf at 10 o’clock at night and try to practice? … That’s why I say the likelihood of a spring competitive football season is next to none.”

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2020 03:21PM

David Harding

[cornellsun.com]

“How on earth do you appropriately schedule the facilities, the training staff, and all of the shared resources at work?” Archer said. “Who would you give priority to? Would you say, ‘Man, the winter and spring kids got their season crushed [last year] — I guess they get first priority.’ And then what do we do, go to Schoellkopf at 10 o’clock at night and try to practice? … That’s why I say the likelihood of a spring competitive football season is next to none.”
Practice on grass fields?
The women's AstroTurf (not as spongy as FieldTurf) field?
Priority of MLax practice vs. Football based on attendance? W-L record?

Date: October 23, 2020 10:49PM

they have tons of practice space off campus if they want to use it.. fball only can use the field a couple hrs a day each so plenty time to share

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2020 04:44PM

billhoward
David Harding

[cornellsun.com]

Priority to M Lax on actually being a competitive program.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 26, 2020 10:23PM

CU2007
billhoward
David Harding

[cornellsun.com]

Priority to M Lax on actually being a competitive program.

Does football actually bring in any revenue? If so, it wins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login