Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's Soccer 2019

Posted by mountainred 
Men's Soccer 2019
Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: October 01, 2019 10:45AM

Over the weekend, the men knocked off Akron in OT. That's the second win this season over a national semi-finalist from last year, which sounds like justification for their own thread. Just don't look at Akron orMichigan State's record this year. I swear they met in the final four last year and that Akron is perennial power in the sport.

Still, for a program that has managed 4 Ivy wins just twice since 1999, including last year, it is nice to see.

Re: Men's Soccer 2019
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 01, 2019 11:52AM

Did something change? A new staff, a great recruiting class?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2019 12:01PM

Watched four of their games (FDU, Canisius, Siena and Akron) and they do look for real. Actually fun to watch, and soccer is not high on my "fun-to-watch" list. Unseeded Akron beat unseeded MSU 5-1 in the 2018 semifinals and lost 1-0 to Maryland in the championship game.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2019 04:02PM

Trotsky

John Smith took over a floundering team 3 years ago after being the top assistant on Stanford’s NCAA championship team. He immediately changed the culture and brought in some talented kids. As in most sports we don’t get the 4 or 5 star recruits, but he’s recruited some 2 and 3 star guys who have really blossomed. The team plays an aggressive, pressing style and can dominate possession against many teams (see the 29-2 shot differential against Siena). The Ivies are always competitive, but we should be able to challenge for a title this year.

Date: October 01, 2019 04:08PM

scoop85
Trotsky

John Smith took over a floundering team 3 years ago after being the top assistant on Stanford’s NCAA championship team. He immediately changed the culture and brought in some talented kids. As in most sports we don’t get the 4 or 5 star recruits, but he’s recruited some 2 and 3 star guys who have really blossomed. The team plays an aggressive, pressing style and can dominate possession against many teams (see the 29-2 shot differential against Siena). The Ivies are always competitive, but we should be able to challenge for a title this year.
Outshot Syracuse 13-8 despite the OT loss. As I wrote: fun to watch.

Date: October 01, 2019 05:15PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Trotsky

Outshot Syracuse 13-8 despite the OT loss. As I wrote: fun to watch.

Yes, Cornell plays a style that is quite fun to watch. I was a soccer agnostic most of my life, but with my son adopting soccer as his favorite participatory sport (he’s now a senior playing left wing on a high school team currently ranked #5 in Class A in New York State) I’ve come to really enjoy the nuances of the game.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 01, 2019 05:40PM

Good to know. I was thinking about going down to the game at Penn. This makes it more worthwhile.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2019 05:58PM

a lot of the scoring seems to be coming from underclassmen too. last year the team faded late and missed the tournament after a fast start but i'm hoping for better this year. this site tracks our RPI: [rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2019 07:10PM

scoop85
I was a soccer agnostic most of my life, but with my son adopting soccer as his favorite participatory sport (he’s now a senior playing left wing on a high school team currently ranked #5 in Class A in New York State) I’ve come to really enjoy the nuances of the game.
The more I watch it the more I like it, just like hockey and cricket.

Date: October 01, 2019 10:59PM

Trotsky
scoop85
I was a soccer agnostic most of my life, but with my son adopting soccer as his favorite participatory sport (he’s now a senior playing left wing on a high school team currently ranked #5 in Class A in New York State) I’ve come to really enjoy the nuances of the game.

Wow. Someone else who watches cricket!

We are a cosmopolitan bunch, aren't we?

Posted by: Swampy (172.98.93.---)
Date: October 01, 2019 11:02PM

Trotsky
scoop85

Makes sense. All three are fast-moving, team sports.

Date: October 01, 2019 11:21PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85

Got into it because all our local Indian restaurants carry Willow.

Posted by: RichH (114.125.81.---)
Date: October 02, 2019 11:58AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85

I don’t remember the number of times I’ve shared a CU hockey trip hotel with JTW and he had to wake up at 4:23 am to stream some cricket somesuch for old-ass ashes or whatever test trophy even though there were like 600 runs scored and still 3 days remaining.

To be completely honest, I want to like cricket. I even tried to learn about it my family’s 1974 World Book Encyclopedia. What I learned doesn’t jive at all with what I see when I try to watch it.

Date: October 02, 2019 01:09PM

RichH
To be completely honest, I want to like cricket. I even tried to learn about it my family’s 1974 World Book Encyclopedia. What I learned doesn’t jive at all with what I see when I try to watch it.
My advice is put it on in the background and let it seep in. It's sports wallpaper. Little by little it will start to make some sense. Then it will become cool. Then it will become fascinating. As with any foreign language, just keep it running and let you head background process it.

Date: October 02, 2019 05:05PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85

I wish my cable did. I didn't even know about Willow until I was visiting my sister last month during The Ashes. She has it on her cable (although I'm pretty sure it was the first time anyone ever watched it on her TV). A couple years ago, Eleven Sports was carrying cricket, so I got to watch some, but it appears it's all moved to Willow. And all our local Indian restaurants have Bollywood movies running, not cricket.

I discovered cricket back in 1993. I was at a chemical plant start-up in Taiwan. Our hotel only had three channels in English: CNN, BBC World News, and Star Sports (from Hong Kong). You could only watch the first 2 for about 15 minutes before they started repeating, so that left the third. There was some test series happening at the time that was on Star Sports every night when we got back from work. I put it on as background noise, but eventually started paying attention. Fortunately, a British co-worker had explained the basics of scoring to me, so getting the rest of it came rather easy.

FWIW, I also like Rugby (Union) and Aussie Rules Footy.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: October 02, 2019 05:41PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

No love for hurling?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2019 11:42PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
scoop85

I wish my cable did. I didn't even know about Willow until I was visiting my sister last month during The Ashes. She has it on her cable (although I'm pretty sure it was the first time anyone ever watched it on her TV). A couple years ago, Eleven Sports was carrying cricket, so I got to watch some, but it appears it's all moved to Willow. And all our local Indian restaurants have Bollywood movies running, not cricket.

I discovered cricket back in 1993. I was at a chemical plant start-up in Taiwan. Our hotel only had three channels in English: CNN, BBC World News, and Star Sports (from Hong Kong). You could only watch the first 2 for about 15 minutes before they started repeating, so that left the third. There was some test series happening at the time that was on Star Sports every night when we got back from work. I put it on as background noise, but eventually started paying attention. Fortunately, a British co-worker had explained the basics of scoring to me, so getting the rest of it came rather easy.

My mother took me to a cricket match at Hoy Field somewhere around 1960. Her father was from Australia and must have played, but he was long since dead by then. If I remember correctly, it was mostly graduate students from around the Commonwealth. We chatted with the a couple of the players on the batting team and got a feeling for the rules and the culture. It was very interesting at the time and provided context for decades of references, but it didn't inspire me to play or follow the sport. A distant cousin from Australia visiting last weekend with some friends found a Chicago bar where they could watch an Aussie rules football playoff game starting at midnight Chicago time.
My daughter's boyfriend is a hurling player.

Date: October 03, 2019 09:17AM

My grad school softball team had an OF who played cricket in India. He played without a glove and way hilarious and amazing.

Date: October 03, 2019 06:46PM

mountainred
Jeff Hopkins '82

No love for hurling?

You mean "Micks with sticks?" Up Tipp!

Date: October 03, 2019 06:52PM

David Harding
A distant cousin from Australia visiting last weekend with some friends found a Chicago bar where they could watch an Aussie rules football playoff game starting at midnight Chicago time.

That would have been the Grand Final - The Super Bowl of Footy. It was a blow-out. And my favorite team was eliminated in the semis.

I actually went to a game at the MCG in Melbourne about 20 years ago. It was a blast.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2019 06:53PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 03, 2019 11:42PM

Trotsky
RichH
My advice is put it on in the background and let it seep in. It's sports wallpaper. Little by little it will start to make some sense. Then it will become cool. Then it will become fascinating. As with any foreign language, just keep it running and let you head background process it.

I played cricket once. Best part was taking a break for tea at halftime. (Do they call it halftime?) Great tea and chocolate cake. Yum! -- Not at all like those shitty oranges they gave us at halftime when I played lacrosse.

Date: October 04, 2019 10:53AM

Swampy
Not at all like those shitty oranges they gave us at halftime when I played lacrosse.
They were out of passed out underage coeds?

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 04, 2019 04:08PM

Trotsky
Swampy
Not at all like those shitty oranges they gave us at halftime when I played lacrosse.

That was a different sport.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: October 04, 2019 04:15PM

really hoping the soccer team plays another game soon

Date: October 04, 2019 04:25PM

Swampy
Trotsky
Swampy

That was a different sport.
I'll say.

Date: October 04, 2019 04:56PM

ugarte
really hoping the soccer team plays another game soon
I was thinking that, too.

Date: October 05, 2019 05:39PM

Just discovered the CU - Penn soccer Match on CSN Philly. Currently 2-1 Penn with 15 mins left in the 1St half.

Date: October 05, 2019 06:05PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Just discovered the CU - Penn soccer Match on CSN Philly. Currently 2-1 Penn with 15 mins left in the 1St half.
Puzzled by the call giving Penn a penalty kick...and the lead.

Date: October 05, 2019 10:40PM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
clear handball in the box. not exactly intentional but very clear.

Date: October 06, 2019 06:24AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
clear handball in the box. not exactly intentional but very clear.
Got it. Thanks. Had audio turned off.

Date: October 09, 2019 01:01AM

Cornell beat Colgate 1-0. whew.

Date: October 12, 2019 05:35PM

As I reported on the football thread, Cornell soccer all over Harvard 4-0 with a bit over 20 minutes left in the 2nd half. Cornell is getting into the box at-will against an awful Harvard defense. Looks like the Harvard soccer coach doesn’t get the same preference in admissions as some of the other sports.

Date: October 14, 2019 12:10PM

scoop85
As I reported on the football thread, Cornell soccer all over Harvard 4-0 with a bit over 20 minutes left in the 2nd half. Cornell is getting into the box at-will against an awful Harvard defense. Looks like the Harvard soccer coach doesn’t get the same preference in admissions as some of the other sports.
You can't play defense with nothing but A's.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2019 07:58AM

Trotsky
scoop85
There's a play on words in there along the lines of "There's no I in TEAM."

Date: October 16, 2019 02:14PM

billhoward
Trotsky
scoop85

My usual response to that saying is "There's no U either!"

Date: October 16, 2019 03:01PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Trotsky
scoop85

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2019 05:21PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Trotsky
scoop85

Nicely done. ;-)

Posted by: carlosdiaz292 (---.genericrev.cantv.net)
Date: May 05, 2020 12:59PM

Is there some news about when the season re-open? because FIFA talk about july to return some teams at the field but dex2-thumb portal said this could be wrong if coronavirus keep going on. And that's true, it seems this won't stop at least until october. What do you think about it?

Posted by: paolalopez118 (---.genericrev.cantv.net)
Date: May 12, 2020 11:32AM

So far I think everyone is talking about reactivating activities for the coming year, at least in the VelocidadPunta news portal they always mount the articles of the Formula 1 news.

Posted by: French Rage (104.129.202.---)
Date: May 12, 2020 01:43PM

I know when I want Formula 1 news I go to the Cornell men's soccer thread for last year.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login