Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Wrestling 2019-20

Posted by ugarte 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Wrestling 2019-20
Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 05:43PM

ugarte

Berreyesa started hot but now that it's clear that his game is upper body throws, he is not doing that well.

From the little I know of wrestling it does seem Berreyesa is a one-trick pony who needs to expand his repertoire.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 06:10PM

scoop85
ugarte

Berreyesa started hot but now that it's clear that his game is upper body throws, he is not doing that well.

From the little I know of wrestling it does seem Berreyesa is a one-trick pony who needs to expand his repertoire.
easier said than done: he's a world class greco-roman wrestler and the rules are just different in freestyle. it's like introducing a boxer to MMA and telling him, as he ices his face from getting kneed in the chin, that he's got to avoid knees.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dsl1.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 08:39PM

ugarte
scoop85
ugarte

easier said than done: he's a world class greco-roman wrestler and the rules are just different in freestyle. it's like introducing a boxer to MMA and telling him, as he ices his face from getting kneed in the chin, that he's got to avoid knees.

Really shows how the Big Red caught lightning in a bottle the year the JJ Chavez became an All-American.

Posted by: klehner (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 09:51PM

ugarte
(2) Hunter Richard needed to win at least one match to get his winning percentage over .700. Both did exactly what they needed to do. Womack was slated against fellow Cornellian Remi Pellumbi, pinned him quickly then medically forfeited out of the rest of the tournament. Richard won two matches, brought his winning % up to .7097, then also medically defaulted out.

More accurately, Hunter Richard needed *two* wins to bring his official WP to exactly .700 (21-9). One of his wins was over a non-D1 opponent, and as such doesn't count toward that WP.

We still don't know much about Womack's condition. In addition, I still find it very strange that Berreyesa gave up his ORS just so he could do a few duals: I guess he might have been insurance in case Womack couldn't come back. But in that case, who cares? Cornell isn't winning EIWAs even if Womack wins at 174. A part of me is holding out hope that Berreyesa goes 165 in two weeks...

Date: February 24, 2020 10:00PM

mountainred
ugarte
scoop85
ugarte

Really shows how the Big Red caught lightning in a bottle the year the JJ Chavez became an All-American.

I was just going to cite Chavez, whose folkstyle skills were pretty darned good. I watched that throw against Buffalo many times. See about 1:26 into this!

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2020 02:25AM

klehner
mountainred
ugarte
scoop85
ugarte

I was just going to cite Chavez, whose folkstyle skills were pretty darned good. I watched that throw against Buffalo many times. See about 1:26 into this!

video: [youtu.be]
Chavez was a much better freestyle wrestler than AB. Hell, he's had more successful Senior GR success too.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: February 25, 2020 09:49AM

klehner
We still don't know much about Womack's condition. In addition, I still find it very strange that Berreyesa gave up his ORS just so he could do a few duals: I guess he might have been insurance in case Womack couldn't come back. But in that case, who cares? Cornell isn't winning EIWAs even if Womack wins at 174. A part of me is holding out hope that Berreyesa goes 165 in two weeks...

I don't find it quite so strange when you look at the guys joining or rejoining the team next year. Foca coming in at 174 and Dean coming back at 184 (plus Loew). Berreyesa is a competitor, but if you can help the team in a bad spot and give yourself maybe the best window for a trip to Nationals, why not?

And I wouldn't mind seeing Andrew give it a go at 165, but would he be eligible? I guess if he was a light 174 pounder it would be possible (and would also help explain the meh performances over the last couple weeks).

Date: February 25, 2020 11:03AM

mountainred
klehner

I don't find it quite so strange when you look at the guys joining or rejoining the team next year. Foca coming in at 174 and Dean coming back at 184 (plus Loew). Berreyesa is a competitor, but if you can help the team in a bad spot and give yourself maybe the best window for a trip to Nationals, why not?

And I wouldn't mind seeing Andrew give it a go at 165, but would he be eligible? I guess if he was a light 174 pounder it would be possible (and would also help explain the meh performances over the last couple weeks).

That makes some sense (nowhere to hide the next few years between 165 and 285!). Given he goes at 77kg for greco, that's 4.4 pounds over 165. Wish there was a way to know what people weighed in at.

Date: February 25, 2020 12:08PM

mountainred
klehner

I don't think he can wrestle enough for an at-large but if he makes weight he could earn a bid at EIWA.

I also think there's a real chance he gets squeezed out of the starting lineup next year so pulling his shirt to help the team and get starting time makes sense.

klehner, I think there is a site that compiles the information about weighins and certification (there are people on the mat forum that sometimes reference it) but I keep forgetting to ask for a link. gimpeltf and jdalu probably know.

Date: February 29, 2020 02:33PM

The Automatic Qualifier allocations are out. Here's each weight class, the conference allocation for the EIWA tournament and whether we earned one.

125: (7) - We didn't earn one but Dom LaJoie has a win over one of the guys who did, so with 7 bids on the line, he could pull it off. I don't think he has a chance at an at-large otherwise.

133: (2) Chas Tucker earned one of these bids and even if he falters before the finals it is inconceivable that he doesn't get an at-large bid.

141: (5) Noah Baughman was close but didn't earn a bid. If he finishes in 6th I can see him possibly getting an at-large but it will be tough. He'd have to move up the rankings because any scenario where he doesn't finish top 5 also guarantees he won't have the winning percentage. He has beaten two of the guys who earned bids, so a top five finish is definitely doable.

149: (4) Hunter Richard earned an allocation here. He's got a great chance to hold it. Good shot at an at-large if he finishes in 5th, especially if Bucknell is the school that steals his slot (it's complicated).

157: (3) Tough road for Adam Santoro here. Only 3 bids in a conference with three clear candidates and a bunch of bubble guys including one who if he returns from injury is a better candidate to steal. Will not get an at-large.

165: (6) Whoever our 165 is has a tough road even with 6 bids on the line. No at-large coming.

174: (4) If Brandon Womack is healthy I think he holds the bid he earned. If he's not, the conference loses the allocation and I have a hard time seeing Andrew Berreyesa finishing top 3. Not sure if Womack will have the resume for an at-large if he loses enough to place 5th.

184: (4) Jonathan Loew just missed earning an allocation and if he finishes 5th an at-large bid isn't impossible. There are a lot of guys in a similar situation in the conference, though, so it'll be tough. He can finish top 4... but that will also be tough. It's a deep weight for only 4 bids.

197: (6) If Ben Darmstadt doesn't finish top 6 I'll eat ... I don't know. I don't want to compound the misery of Darmstadt not finishing in 5th by eating a hat. I'll be upset, though. He'd almost certainly get an at-large even if he had a bad tournament. He'll hold his allocation, though.

285: (3) Really hard to see Brendan Furman finishing in the top 3 here. He's 0-3 against the guys who earned the bids and there are other wrestlers with similar resumes as his. No chance at an at-large.

Date: March 02, 2020 12:53AM

Today was the National Collegiate Open - a pre-conference-tournament tournament for redshirts, greyshirts and backups. For what it's worth, we sent three of our top incoming freshmen (165 Ramirez; 174 Foca and 197 Cardenas) and Max Dean (still at 184) and all of them won. I don't really know how good the field was but none of them even had a close match. Dean hasn't missed a beat - 4 pins and a tech on his way to the trophy.

Date: March 02, 2020 06:53AM

ugarte
Today was the National Collegiate Open - a pre-conference-tournament tournament for redshirts, greyshirts and backups. For what it's worth, we sent three of our top incoming freshmen (165 Ramirez; 174 Foca and 197 Cardenas) and Max Dean (still at 184) and all of them won. I don't really know how good the field was but none of them even had a close match. Dean hasn't missed a beat - 4 pins and a tech on his way to the trophy.

I'd say the competition was rather lame this year, IIRC from previous years. Ramirez went F/D/D/TF/F, Foca went F/TF/D/F, and Cardenas went D/TF/D/MD.

165 through 197 looked a lot like what we'll see next year (197 will be interesting).

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2020 11:34AM

Date: March 02, 2020 11:47AM

klehner
ugarte

I'd say the competition was rather lame this year, IIRC from previous years. Ramirez went F/D/D/TF/F, Foca went F/TF/D/F, and Cardenas went D/TF/D/MD.

165 through 197 looked a lot like what we'll see next year (197 will be interesting).

Dean against that field was unfair.

Date: March 02, 2020 12:06PM

Just because I wanted to "scoop" ugarte once this season. ;-)

EIWA pre-seeds are out. The pre-seeds are the starting point for seeding this weekend's qualifying tournament, though the coaches can change things at their meeting on Thursday. Of note to me:

Tucker is #1 at 133, of course.

Baughman is the #5 at 141. If he hits that seed, he finally qualifies for nationals.

Hunter Richard is #3 at 149, ahead of Princeton's Kolodzik who was doing the Olympic red-shirt thing until the Cornell dual. The coaches may change that. Still, four go to nationals.

Bama is #4 at 174, which is right on the line. If he's healthy, that's doable.

Loew is #5 at 184, one ahead of Princeton's Stefanik. Only 4 go.

Darmstadt is #4 (?!?) at 197, which just seems wrong considering he overpowered Princeton's Brucki who is the top pre-seed.

Furman is #4 at 285, but only three go.

LaJoie, Santoro and the 165 of the day are unseeded. As ugarte said, only Dom has a decent chance of making nationals since the EIWA qualified 7.

If everything goes right, the Big Red could send 7 to nationals (Just don't see a plausible path at 157, 165 or 285, unless there is an injury). But when does everything go right? Five is probably the more realistic goal.

Date: March 02, 2020 01:14PM

Not to diminish an incredible accomplishment, but while it is unprecedented for a wrestler from Section V to win 5 New York state titles, Greg won't even be the first Cornell wrestler to win 5 New York state titles. Yianni missed his shot at 5 when, if i remember correctly, he needed elbow surgery his senior year. To give a sense of the depth of the competition in different states... Brandon Womack won *six* state titles in Alabama.

In other Cornell wrestler sibling news, Vito Arujau's younger brother George Ourudjov (who spells his name like their father, a 2x world champion for Russia) finished in second place as a sophomore at 126.

Date: March 02, 2020 01:19PM

mountainred
Just because I wanted to "scoop" ugarte once this season. ;-)
ha!

EIWA pre-seeds are out. The pre-seeds are the starting point for seeding this weekend's qualifying tournament, though the coaches can change things at their meeting on Thursday. Of note to me:

Tucker is #1 at 133, of course.

Baughman is the #5 at 141. If he hits that seed, he finally qualifies for nationals.

Hunter Richard is #3 at 149, ahead of Princeton's Kolodzik who was doing the Olympic red-shirt thing until the Cornell dual. The coaches may change that. Still, four go to nationals.

Bama is #4 at 174, which is right on the line. If he's healthy, that's doable.

Loew is #5 at 184, one ahead of Princeton's Stefanik. Only 4 go.

Darmstadt is #4 (?!?) at 197, which just seems wrong considering he overpowered Princeton's Brucki who is the top pre-seed.

Furman is #4 at 285, but only three go.

LaJoie, Santoro and the 165 of the day are unseeded. As ugarte said, only Dom has a decent chance of making nationals since the EIWA qualified 7.

If everything goes right, the Big Red could send 7 to nationals (Just don't see a plausible path at 157, 165 or 285, unless there is an injury). But when does everything go right? Five is probably the more realistic goal.

Some of these preseeds are wild and nobody is revealing the criteria. I think it's largely smoke-filled room. Kolodzik and Darmstadt (and Womack, frankly, if he's healthy) are obviously too low and it's probably because they have so few matches. Kolodzik spent most of the year on a redshirt, Darmstadt spent half the year at 184 instead of 197 and Womack hasn't wrestled a real match since getting injured in December. I feel better about LaJoie and Baughman stealing a bid than Loew but all are capable of pulling it off. I have no idea how we can get there at 157, 165 or 285 but it would be cool as hell.

Date: March 02, 2020 03:35PM

ugarte
Not to diminish an incredible accomplishment, but while it is unprecedented for a wrestler from Section V to win 5 New York state titles, Greg won't even be the first Cornell wrestler to win 5 New York state titles. Yianni missed his shot at 5 when, if i remember correctly, he needed elbow surgery his senior year. To give a sense of the depth of the competition in different states... Brandon Womack won *six* state titles in Alabama.

In other Cornell wrestler sibling news, Vito Arujau's younger brother George Ourudjov (who spells his name like their father, a 2x world champion for Russia) finished in second place as a sophomore at 126.

So the kid who be Ourudjov, Zack Ryder, is an 8th grader. If he's a decent student you would hope Koll and company will be kicking the tires.

Date: March 02, 2020 03:59PM

scoop85
ugarte

So the kid who be Ourudjov, Zack Ryder, is an 8th grader. If he's a decent student you would hope Koll and company will be kicking the tires.
he finished in second place last year, losing a 1 point decision to now 3x champ stevo poulin. i assume a lot of people are noticing him. there's also a 7th grader who won the title at 99, so he's a potential 6x, though obviously there's a lot of road ahead.

Date: March 02, 2020 05:24PM

ugarte
scoop85
ugarte

he finished in second place last year, losing a 1 point decision to now 3x champ stevo poulin. i assume a lot of people are noticing him. there's also a 7th grader who won the title at 99, so he's a potential 6x, though obviously there's a lot of road ahead.

Down here in Section 9 there are not many big-time football or basketball recruits, but we've churned out some pretty good wrestlers over the years--including the Banach twins who both won multiple NCAA championships at Iowa and then both won gold at the 1984 Olympics (albeit without the Soviet Bloc countries)

Date: March 06, 2020 03:45PM

Incredible start to the EIWA tournament for the Big Red. (# is seed, not rank - there are up to 17 in each weight class)

125: #11 Dom LaJoie was up against Navy's #6 Logan Treister. He got the only takedown of the match and won 4-2. His situation got even better when the 3 seed from Penn was upset in the first round and instead he'll face a wrestler from Drexel with a 7-12 record on the season. Because 125 is so deep in the conference, there are 7 bids available, so if he wins this and gets to the semi... he's in!

133: Only 15 entrants, #1 seed Chas Tucker got a bye. He'll face the #8 Angelo Rini of Columbia.

141: #5 Noah Baughman rolled to a 16-3 MD over Sacred Heart. #4 Trybus from Navy awaits in the QF. Huge match. A win puts him in the semis and he can finish no worse than 6th, and there are 5 bids up for grabs. A 6th place finish would also leave him in pretty good position for an at-large. Baughman has come really close to qualifying twice and I really want him to get over the hump.

149: #3 Hunter Richard took a 13-5 MD over Columbia. Up next is #6 from Bucknell, who he beat in a close one earlier this year. 149 is a very weird weight class because two really, really talented wrestlers missed most of the season, so they are seeded 4 and 5, meaning that if he doesn't make the final, he will probably have to beat one of them to finish in the top 4. A real bummer for a 3 seed, though to be fair, if the other guys wrestled all year he'd probably be the 5 seed. But to be LESS fair, he'd be the 5 seed in a 5 bid conference.

157: #12 Adam Santoro had a rematch from the Columbia dual. In that match, he took an early lead and was trying to hold on for a win late when the kid from Columbia put a really nice move on him for a pin. Today, revenge. Santoro took out Mosher 7-3. Up next is #4 Kropman from Drexel. Winnable.

165: This was an unstable weight for Cornell all year and nobody knew who our rep would be. #9 Milik Dawkins won a wrestle-off back in Ithaca for the right to wrestle at the tournament and in the first round he beat #8 from Lehigh with a really smart takedown on the edge in Sudden Victory overtime. Very cool. Up next is #1 Skidgel from Navy. Not optimistic but how great would it be?

174: #4 Brandon Womack missed almost the entire second semester with (based on the wrap he's wearing) a shoulder injury. In this one, he made quick work of #13 from F&M and pinned him in 1:14. Up next, #5 O'Malley from Drexel.

184: #5 Jonathan Loew had no trouble with #12 from LIU, taking an 8-0 major.

197: #2 Ben Darmstadt blew through Binghamton's #15 DePrez with a 16-1 tech. Some measure of revenge for losing to the older DePrez brother winning early in the season when Darmstadt was at 184. Up next, #7 Urbas of Penn, who Darmstadt pinned in 24 seconds when they met at the dual meet.

285: #7 Brendan Furman finished off a perfect morning for the Big Red with a 5-2 win over #10 Pelusi of F&M. It was a perfect morning for F&M as well, as they went 0-10. Up next for Furman is #2 Sullivan. Ordinarily I'd think this was a walk for Sullivan but he may have gotten hurt in his first round match.

After the morning session Cornell is in 3rd, barely ahead of a 3-way tie for 4th. Lehigh way out in front after racking up pins.

Lehigh     22
Army       17.5
Cornell    15.5
Binghamton 15
Navy       15
Princeton  15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2020 04:33PM by ugarte.

Date: March 07, 2020 12:09AM

Second session, as expected, not as rosy but still some very good results.

125: What a day for Dom LaJoie. After getting an upset win and then a golden draw when #14 knocked off #3, he took some extra time but beat Maninno 4-2 in rideouts to advance to the semifinals and clinch his first trip to NCAAs. Great work.

133: Chas Tucker rolls into the semifinals. He's opened up his scoring so he was winning by more than one today. He's got Casey Cobb (Navy) next and is a heavy favorite to punch his ticket. If he loses he needs an at-large bid but there is no doubt that he'd get one.

141: Noah Baughman lost his second bout of the day, 8-0 to Trybus (Navy) but bounced back with a win over Brown. He's now got two winnable matches in a row: Gil from F&M then the loser of a match between Columbia and Lehigh. If he loses the first, he's out and on the bubble for an at-large. If he loses the second, he's still got a chance to win the 5th place match.

149: Hunter Richard is in the semifinals after a second quality match, winning a second major. Up next is the 2 seed, Hoffman, and it's definitely a winnable match. The tricky part is that if he loses he probably has a *harder* must-win match waiting for him. His chances of an at-large bid are not bad, though, imo.

157: Adam Santoro lost badly on the top bracket and then survived in the consolation. Only 3 bids so he can't lose again. a winnable match against Hofstra followed by... a much less winnable one.

165: Milik Dawkins has really stepped up for the tournament. He lost his second match, but it was a noble defeat: 2-0 to the top seed and a national top 10 wrestler. In his consolation match, he schooled the kid from F&M. up next is a winnable match against Hofstra, and if he wins it he's in the tournament.

174: Brandon Womack had a tough road with a shoulder injury. He was strong, and could work on the mat, but he wasn't very good on his feet. He lost twice and is out of the tournament. I am pretty bearish on his chances at an at-large but it's possible. He had an interesting career but I don't want to write about it right now.

184: Jonathan Loew got outworked in his QF match then got a little gassed but survived his consolation match against Sacred Heart. He needs to win two to get an automatic bid. The first one, at least, should be a W.

197: Ben Darmstadt hasn't been challenged. He's got a tech and a pin and he's into the semis and that's enough to earn his second trip to NCAAs. He's the favorite to win his second EIWA title even though he's the 2 seed.

285: Brendan Furman caught a huge break and the 2 seed came into his match stiff and slow from his injury in the morning. Still strong as hell, he held off Furman for almost the whole match, but a takedown with under 10 seconds left sent Furman into the semis. His opponent in the semis is a top 10 guy but there's a plausible path to the third bid on the bottom of the bracket.

5 in the semis, 4 alive for an AQ, 2 bids already earned. After the second session, Cornell is still in third. Looks like Lehigh is going to run away with the title with 7 in the semis and 2 more still alive for third.

Ch   Co
Lehigh     87.5   7    2
Army       73.5   6    3
Cornell    68.5   5    4
Navy       61.5   4    3
Princeton  56     4    2

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2020 08:30AM

Great summary as always. How big a surprise is Army in 2d?

Date: March 07, 2020 09:27AM

scoop85
not that big - army and princeton were expected to fight it out for second.

Date: March 07, 2020 11:35AM

ugarte
scoop85

I didn't realize they had such a strong team this year.

Date: March 07, 2020 12:18PM

scoop85
ugarte
scoop85

I didn't realize they had such a strong team this year.
not many in the national elite but a ton in the top 3 of the conference iirc

Date: March 07, 2020 12:43PM

Quick update:

125: Dom LaJoie lost the semi then lost the consolation semi and will wrestle for 5th.

133: Chas Tucker beat Cobb (Navy), moved on to the finals and punches his ticket for NCAAs. Up next, 3 seed Nick Farro in the final.

141: Noah Baughman beat Gil in what looks like a wild one - 12-11 - and then scores with a second left in SV to move on to the third place match and FINALLY EARNS A BID TO NCAA. So happy for him.

149: Hunter Richard beat the 2 seed, Hoffman, and is in the finals and earns an NCAA bid.

157: Adam Santoro wins against Hofstra. Now, the hard part. He needs two big upsets for a bid.

165: Milik Dawkins losses to Hofstra. He'll wrestle for 7th but the conference only sends 6. Great work for the team though.

184: Jonathan Loew wins one. Keep going.

197: Ben Darmstadt into the finals.

285: Brendan Furman loses to Wood. Needs to win his next two to get in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 01:44PM by ugarte.

Date: March 07, 2020 01:50PM

ugarte
157: Adam Santoro wins against Hofstra. Now, the hard part. He needs two big upsets for a bid.

165: Milik Dawkins losses to Hofstra. He'll wrestle for 7th but the conference only sends 6. Great work for the team though.

184: Jonathan Loew wins one. Keep going.

285: Brendan Furman loses to Wood. Needs to win his next two to get in.
157: Santoro loses and he'll wrestle for 5th. No chance at an autobid or a wildcard but can get another team point with a W.

165: Dawkins wins the 7th place match, earning another team point. Great tournament for him.

184: Loew loses the consi semi and he'll wrestle for 5th. 4 autobids available but 5th would help his chances at a wildcard.

285: Furman wins the consi semi and will wrestle the 4 seed for 3rd place and an autobid. Awesome.

Date: March 07, 2020 04:55PM

Holy cow

125: LaJoie loses takes 6th but that's enough. Going to NCAAs.

133: Tucker. Champ. Going to NCAAs.

141: Baughman wins again. Third. Going to NCAAs.

149: Richard finished in second. Going to NCAAs.

157: Santoro finished in 6th.

165: Dawkins finished in 7th.

174: Womack didn't place. On the bubble for a wild card.

184: Loew finished in 5th. On the bubble for a wild card.

197: Darmstadt. Champ. Going to NCAAs.

285: Furman. THIRD PLACE! GOING TO NCAAS!

6 autobids. 2 on the bubble. And the Big Red finished in second place. Incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 04:55PM by ugarte.

Date: March 07, 2020 05:19PM

Nice to see such a strong performance. Tucker is up to 30-0, but in so many of those matches his margin for error was so thin. Ugarte, what’s his realistic outlook in the NCAA’s?

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-6.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2020 06:40PM

scoop85
Nice to see such a strong performance. Tucker is up to 30-0, but in so many of those matches his margin for error was so thin. Ugarte, what’s his realistic outlook in the NCAA’s?
He's so good but he's also 5'3" which is very short even by the standards of guys wrestling at 133. He's a brick wall and his defense is amazing and he's quick enough to score on most mortals but his lack of length makes it hard for him to turn opponents for back points. He's undefeated but ranked only 4 or 5 because the top 5 guys in the Big 10 basically only lose to each other.

Realistically I think he finishes between 4 and 8 depending on his draw. The top 3 - Gross, Rivera and RBY - are something else. With his style, if his defense falters, though, he doesn't have much margin for error. Which is why it has never faltered this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 06:41PM by ugarte.

Date: March 07, 2020 07:47PM

ugarte
scoop85
He's so good but he's also 5'3" which is very short even by the standards of guys wrestling at 133. He's a brick wall and his defense is amazing and he's quick enough to score on most mortals but his lack of length makes it hard for him to turn opponents for back points. He's undefeated but ranked only 4 or 5 because the top 5 guys in the Big 10 basically only lose to each other.

Realistically I think he finishes between 4 and 8 depending on his draw. The top 3 - Gross, Rivera and RBY - are something else. With his style, if his defense falters, though, he doesn't have much margin for error. Which is why it has never faltered this year.
The top four ranked guys are meeting in the B1G semi-finals. Two of them will lose. The Flo announcer for the EIWA 133 final was saying that could conceivably move him to the #3 seed, making it a bit easier to go deeper.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-11.myvzw.com)
Date: March 07, 2020 09:06PM

klehner
ugarte
scoop85

The top four ranked guys are meeting in the B1G semi-finals. Two of them will lose. The Flo announcer for the EIWA 133 final was saying that could conceivably move him to the #3 seed, making it a bit easier to go deeper.
I think he's seeded 4 at best, but 3 would be great.

Date: March 09, 2020 01:18PM

ugarte
klehner
ugarte
scoop85

listening to the Flo Wrestling podcast and it looks like Tucker at 3 based on seeding criteria, which is more mechanical than i realized. i thought it was smoke-filled room.

Date: March 09, 2020 02:19PM

ugarte
ugarte
klehner
ugarte
scoop85

listening to the Flo Wrestling podcast and it looks like Tucker at 3 based on seeding criteria, which is more mechanical than i realized. i thought it was smoke-filled room.

In fairness, that is the right default setting when thinking of the NCAA.

#3 seed would be great for Tucker, but it will be white knuckle the entire way. His defense needs to be perfect, though it normally is.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2020 02:50PM

ugarte
Times have changed. Now the smoke-filled room smells of weed.

Date: March 09, 2020 06:08PM

meanwhile, in freestyle, yianni wrestled relieved the US in Ottawa in the Pan Am Games and...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 06:22PM by ugarte.

Date: March 09, 2020 06:26PM

FYI, NCAA brackets come out on Wednesday so we'll see if Loew (i think a good chance) and Womack (I don't think he'll be eligible) get at-large bids.

Date: March 10, 2020 12:54PM

ugarte
FYI, NCAA brackets come out on Wednesday so we'll see if Loew (i think a good chance) and Womack (I don't think he'll be eligible) get at-large bids.
Appears that the at-large bids come out on Tuesday at 3pm, and the brackets on Wednesday. Lots of confusion on that all around.

Date: March 10, 2020 01:44PM

klehner
ugarte
Appears that the at-large bids come out on Tuesday at 3pm, and the brackets on Wednesday. Lots of confusion on that all around.
yeah - the pre-championship manual says wednesday but the ncaa apparently said the bids are being released today at 3 eastern.

Date: March 10, 2020 03:09PM

ugarte
klehner
ugarte
yeah - the pre-championship manual says wednesday but the ncaa apparently said the bids are being released today at 3 eastern.
Womack and Loew both get bids! Amazing.

Date: March 10, 2020 04:23PM

I am floating over the team - in a year with 3 Olympic redshirts, and the year that was supposed to be a holding pattern before the arrival of the next insane freshman class - is sending EIGHT guys to NCAAs. It will still be a struggle for the team to keep the top 12 (2003) much less top 8 (2008) but still, this has been a surprisingly good finish to a weird year. There's a story at every weight.

125: LaJoie (16-20) struggled and finishes the season with a losing record - but when he needed to come through at EIWA, he did and is going to NCAAs.
133: Tucker (31-0) is undefeated!
141: Baughman (26-12) jumped two weight classes from his last time in the starting lineup, won the spot, and kept the decision out of the selection committee's hands.
149: Richard (25-10) locked down the starting spot early and turned it on in the postseason to earn a trip to NCAAs.
157: Santoro (15-18) moved up to 165 then back down to 157 when Yapoujian got hurt. His record belies how many close matches he had. No postseason, but he stepped up and did whatever the team needed.
165: Dawkins (13-10_ earned the starting spot at the beginning of the year but struggled in the middle of the season. His replacements did as well, and when he needed to grab his spot back in March, he did it. Finished well above seed and on the podium at EIWA to boot.
174: Womack (14-7) gets to cap off an interesting career with a 4th trip to NCAAs. An All American at 165 in 2017, he either had to or chose to go to 174 and hasn't quite been the same since but was wrestling his best in a long time when he clearly got hurt mid-match in South Beach. Getting a reprieve from the committee is great news.
184: Loew (26-13) won the starting spot at 197 out of the gate; when Darmstadt needed to go up, he went down for the team. Had a solid EIWA, including a revenge win over Princeton, and got the bid.
197: Darmstadt (28-6) struggled with strength down at 184 but still only lost to the best of the opposition. Back at 197 he was nearly unstoppable but for injury and one bad loss. He destroyed Princeton's Brucki at a time when Brucki was considered the class of the division then blew through EIWAs.
285: Furman(22-12) had a sneaky-good season with a capper in the 3rd place match to earn a spot in the NCAA field.

Date: March 11, 2020 10:37PM

*blithely pretending the tournament won't be cancelled*

So, the brackets are out for the NCAA tournament. Let's see how they look for the Big Red.

125: No surprise as Dom LaJoie is the 32 seed in a 33 man field. He won a pair at EIWA to qualify for the tournament but lost his next three to slide to 6th place and has a losing record on the season. His opponent? The 33 seed, Antonio Maninno (Drexel), who LaJoie beat in OT to qualify for the tournament. It is also no surprise that Maninno is LaJoie's opponent in this pigtail match since he ALSO has a losing record on the season. The winner of this match has the privilege of getting absolutely wrecked in the first round by #1 Spencer Lee. If he loses to Maninno, he'll almost certainly face Logan Griffin of Michigan State. He lost to Griffin's backup earlier this season, so that's not great. After that, he'll get pinned or teched by Lee (sorry) and then face the loser of Nick Aguilar (Rutgers), who beat him 10-5 earlier this year and Jacob Schwarm (Northern Iowa) a 3x national qualifier. There are no good paths as the 32 seed.

133: Chas Tucker indeed received the 3 seed and the committee decided to have a little fun. His first round opponent is DJ Fehlman (Lock Haven), who upset Tucker in the first round at last year's tournament. Tucker beat Fehlman this year but he also beat him in the regular season last year. Was it on purpose? Who is to say. If he wins he faces the winner of #14 Ridge Lovett (Wisconsin) and #19 Allan Hart (Missouri). If he loses his opening bout, he faces the loser of that match. He'd be the favorite over either but both are going to be tough matches. The #6 wrestler is Austin DeSanto (Iowa). When DeSanto was a freshman at Drexel he beat Tucker in a dual meet but Tucker got him back in the EIWA semifinals. DeSanto is incredibly talented but a real jerk on the mat. I want to see Tucker beat him. It's going to be a great match.

141: Another match that makes you think the committee is messing around. Baughman gets the 22 seed and will face #11 Zach Sherman, who he beat in SV at the North Carolina dual. Up next would be either 2x All-American #6 Chad Red (Nebraska) or #27 Cole Matthews (Pitt).

149: #25 Hunter Richard has #8 Jarrett Degen (Iowa State) in the first round. Degen beat him last year. The winner faces either #9 Collin Purinton (Nebraska) or #24 Russell Rohlfing (Bakersfield). Richard hasn't faced either.

174: #30 Brandon Womack will face #3 Jordan Kutler (Lehigh). Kutler has won all three of their meetings. Up next would be either #14 Clay Lautt (N. Carolina) or #19 Kimball Bastian (Utah Valley). He's never faced Lautt but Bastian knocked him out of the 2018 NCAA tournament. Would be nice to get revenge but I'm not sure that Womack is fully recovered from his December injury. I definitely didn't expect him to make the tournament. He can pin anyone but he never did quite learn neutral defense.

184: #28 Jonathan Loew takes on #5 Trent Hidlay (NC State). Hidlay majored him last year when both were taking a gap year. Up next would either be #12 Zack Carlson (S. Dakota St.) or #21 Billy Janzer (Rutgers) both of who beat Loew earlier this season. I hope Loew has revenge on his mind.

197: Couldn't really expect a higher seed than #4 for Ben Darmstadt after he lost to an unranked wrestler from North Carolina. Otherwise he's been a buzzsaw at 197. He opens against #29 Hunter Ritter (Minnesota) and then follows with either #13 Thomas Lane (Cal-Poly), - who Ben Honis beat last year in the blood round to get All American - or #20 JT Brown (Army), who was Darmstadt's high school teammate and he's known since they were little kids. Darmstadt won 6-1 in the EIWA semis last week.

285: #28 Brendan Furman has a really tough path, as you'd expect for #28. First, #5 Matt Stencel (C. Michigan.), a returning All American. Up next, either #12 Josh Hokit (Fullerton) - another All American, or #21 David Jensen (Nebraska).

As you can see, aside from Tucker and Darmstadt, the next best seed is #22 Baughman. That explains how shocking and cool it was for Cornell to put 8 guys in the field. We are unlikely to rack up many team points outside of our big two but if last week showed us anything... you never know. Let's Go Red!

Unless the tournament was called off while I was typing.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 11:20AM

ugarte

So, the brackets are out for the NCAA tournament. Let's see how they look for the Big Red.

Let's see. Young men holding onto each other, straining, and breathing in each other's faces, while there's a global pandemic that's 10x more deadly than the common flu. What could possibly go wrong?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 11:21AM by Swampy.

Date: March 12, 2020 12:00PM

Swampy
ugarte

Let's see. Young men holding onto each other, straining, and breathing in each other's faces, while there's a global pandemic that's 10x more deadly than the common flu. What could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, you would think if any sport would be canceled under the current situation it would be wrestling.

Date: March 12, 2020 12:21PM

scoop85
Swampy
ugarte

Yeah, you would think if any sport would be canceled under the current situation it would be wrestling.
SIRS! I am blithely pretending otherwise!

Date: March 12, 2020 01:18PM

ugarte
scoop85
Swampy
ugarte

You know I follow the wrestling almost as much you do, but c'mon ...........

Still, a very nice write-up.

Date: March 12, 2020 02:12PM

mountainred
ugarte
scoop85
Swampy
ugarte

You know I follow the wrestling almost as much you do, but c'mon ...........

Still, a very nice write-up.
i know what's going to happen i'm just not coping well

Date: March 12, 2020 04:56PM

The inevitable was, well, inevitable. I hate it for all the athletes, except maybe the Nitnies, but really feel for Noah who worked so hard to final make nationals.

Rob Koll's perspective from his email blast: This is a terrible disappointment, this is not a tragedy because our young men are more than just wrestlers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2020 04:59PM by mountainred.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 12, 2020 05:14PM

mountainred

Rob Koll's perspective from his email blast: This is a terrible disappointment, this is not a tragedy because our young men are more than just wrestlers.

I like that thinking.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2020 12:08AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
mountainred

I like that thinking.

OTOH, what is it for those of us who are nothing but Cornell fans?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 13, 2020 09:00AM

Swampy
Jeff Hopkins '82
mountainred

I like that thinking.

OTOH, what is it for those of us who are nothing but Cornell fans?

It's a sad life.

Posted by: cu155 (167.99.235.---)
Date: March 13, 2020 09:15PM

Ugarte, I need you to talk me down from the stupidity I'm witnessing in the various TheMat Covid-19 threads!

Date: March 14, 2020 12:57AM

cu155
Ugarte, I need you to talk me down from the stupidity I'm witnessing in the various TheMat Covid-19 threads!
I did my best for a while but I'm putting that place in quarantine for a while

Posted by: cu155 (167.99.235.---)
Date: March 14, 2020 03:38AM

ugarte
cu155

Definitely the wise choice!

Posted by: mountainred (---.mdde.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 09:49AM

cu155
ugarte
cu155

Definitely the wise choice!

The only remotely sane place over there is the Cornell thread. I miss Wrestling Report.

Date: March 14, 2020 10:09AM

cu155
That place has a serious need for triage: let those who are terminally stupid just die.

On a wrestling-related subject, if the NCAA grants a year or semester eligibility to those winter sports athletes affected by this shutdown, what would the Ivy League do for seniors like Tucker and Kolodzik? If they were interested, could they be allowed to be "grad students" (a la Lehigh fifth year wrestlers) and go for another semester if they so wished?

Vito/Tucker/Yianni would again be a nice start to the lineup :-)

Date: March 14, 2020 01:36PM

klehner
cu155
That place has a serious need for triage: let those who are terminally stupid just die.

On a wrestling-related subject, if the NCAA grants a year or semester eligibility to those winter sports athletes affected by this shutdown, what would the Ivy League do for seniors like Tucker and Kolodzik? If they were interested, could they be allowed to be "grad students" (a la Lehigh fifth year wrestlers) and go for another semester if they so wished?

Vito/Tucker/Yianni would again be a nice start to the lineup :-)
i don't know. one of the reasons i had to bail on the mat forums is that i ... don't care? i don't mean it as a judgment if it sounds like i'm being smug or morose but i just can't care about the eligibility implications of this. everyone's brain works differently and talking about this is definitely a way that someone who isn't me can kill the time and feel normal but ... i'm not that guy.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 05:35PM

ugarte
i don't know. one of the reasons i had to bail on the mat forums is that i ... don't care? i don't mean it as a judgment if it sounds like i'm being smug or morose but i just can't care about the eligibility implications of this. everyone's brain works differently and talking about this is definitely a way that someone who isn't me can kill the time and feel normal but ... i'm not that guy.
Nor am I. They can decide as they wish.

Date: March 15, 2020 03:17PM

Zain Retherford got pinned at the Pan Am Qualification tournament, and failed to qualify the US at 65kg for the Olympics. The US would have to qualify someone at the Last Chance Qualifying tournament (in Bulgaria or something?) for anyone to represent the US at 65kg; this tournament, if it is even held due to the coronavirus, would be very hard to qualify. I'm sure Yianni is so grateful...

Date: March 16, 2020 12:15AM

klehner
Zain Retherford got pinned at the Pan Am Qualification tournament, and failed to qualify the US at 65kg for the Olympics. The US would have to qualify someone at the Last Chance Qualifying tournament (in Bulgaria or something?) for anyone to represent the US at 65kg; this tournament, if it is even held due to the coronavirus, would be very hard to qualify. I'm sure Yianni is so grateful...
not easy. last time around molinaro failed as did dylan palacio (trying to qualify uruguay). on the other hand, that's how j'den cox qualified the weight for us.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2020 07:32PM

This belongs in a 2020-2021 thread, but I'm not going to take responsibility for starting that one.

The postponement of the summer Olympics by a year brings heartache those who have devoted a year to training. What does it mean for Cornell as a team next year?

Date: March 24, 2020 09:00PM

David Harding
This belongs in a 2020-2021 thread, but I'm not going to take responsibility for starting that one.

The postponement of the summer Olympics by a year brings heartache those who have devoted a year to training. What does it mean for Cornell as a team next year?
Absolutely no idea yet. I don't know how the NCAA is going to treat it. I doubt that Vito or Max would take a second year. Yianni might; he's a more likely team member and a legit threat for a medal.

Date: March 26, 2020 06:07PM

David Harding

Yianni gave no indication in a post-Olympic-postponement interview on Flo that he would not wrestle for Cornell next year. If he returns, I can't imagine that anyone else would also not return. Cornell will have an amazing, national-trophy caliber team next year.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2020 01:12PM

klehner
David Harding

Yianni gave no indication in a post-Olympic-postponement interview on Flo that he would not wrestle for Cornell next year. If he returns, I can't imagine that anyone else would also not return. Cornell will have an amazing, national-trophy caliber team next year.

Couldn't the postponed games interfere with next year just like they did with this year?

Date: March 27, 2020 01:59PM

marty
klehner
David Harding

Couldn't the postponed games interfere with next year just like they did with this year?
the games themselves, if held during the summer, wouldn't interfere with Cornell's schedule, though the Trials and other tune-up tournaments would. what klehner is saying is that Yianni said he wasn't planning to take another year off to train.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: April 08, 2020 07:10PM

Yianni was on channel 3 news tonight in an interview and said he would not be in the large group that would take a 2nd yr off to train.. he will be at cornell, try to win the NCAA, then go to trials.

Also mentioned he doesnt want to be seen only as a guy who counters and wants to be the guy who can attack for 6 min and put fear in the other guy..

Date: April 09, 2020 10:51AM

upprdeck
Yianni was on channel 3 news tonight in an interview and said he would not be in the large group that would take a 2nd yr off to train.. he will be at cornell, try to win the NCAA, then go to trials.

Also mentioned he doesnt want to be seen only as a guy who counters and wants to be the guy who can attack for 6 min and put fear in the other guy..

?s=20

Date: April 11, 2020 10:23AM

Interesting story in the IJ about the wrestling team this year... koll said his team was devastated by flu symptoms during the season and wonders if some kids already had the virus.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2020 02:24PM

upprdeck
Interesting story in the IJ about the wrestling team this year... koll said his team was devastated by flu symptoms during the season and wonders if some kids already had the virus.
it's much more likely that they just had the flu. were there a lot of unexplained deaths in Ithaca that we don't know about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 02:25PM by ugarte.

Date: April 11, 2020 03:15PM

ugarte
upprdeck
it's much more likely that they just had the flu. were there a lot of unexplained deaths in Ithaca that we don't know about?

Yeah, as great a coach and leader as Koll is, I don’t think his medical analysis is especially prescient.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2020 03:49PM

scoop85
ugarte
upprdeck

Yeah, as great a coach and leader as Koll is, I don’t think his medical analysis is especially prescient.

I don't know why you all discount this. There are/were many people having the COVID-19 virus without major illness. That's especially true of younger people.

Some genetic data now suggests the virus came to NY from Europe and earlier than has been recognized.

I don't know the student's symptoms, but I certainly don't discount it.

And the fact that there weren't deaths means nothing.

As of right now Tompkins County has 112 confirmed cases and no deaths.

Date: April 11, 2020 05:38PM

Jim Hyla
scoop85
ugarte
upprdeck

I don't know why you all discount this. There are/were many people having the COVID-19 virus without major illness. That's especially true of younger people.

Some genetic data now suggests the virus came to NY from Europe and earlier than has been recognized.

I don't know the student's symptoms, but I certainly don't discount it.

And the fact that there weren't deaths means nothing.

As of right now Tompkins County has 112 confirmed cases and no deaths.

Sadly the 1st death was reported yesterday

Who knows, maybe they did have COVID-19 rather than the flu. So many possibilities about this ever-moving target.

Date: April 11, 2020 06:02PM

The death though is someone brought up from NYC.

Date: April 11, 2020 06:52PM

upprdeck

I only saw the headline—bad on me to not read the article.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2020 07:16PM

scoop85
upprdeck

I only saw the headline—bad on me to not read the article.
And now the death of a second patient brought to Ithaca from NYC. [ithacavoice.com]

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: April 12, 2020 10:29AM

It is my understanding that all Cornell student athletes get flu shots because of the danger of illness running through a team. In addition, Cornell has a lot of international students who traveled home for winter break. And the red shirt wrestlers who competed in international tournaments and then returned to Ithaca to train with their Cornell teammates. So Koll's observation may not be that far off the mark -- plenty of opportunities for the guys to be exposed to the virus early on.

Date: April 12, 2020 10:45AM

tons of people who had the flu shot at work complained after xmas break of something they couldnt shake.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2020 11:08AM

upprdeck
tons of people who had the flu shot at work complained after xmas break of something they couldnt shake.
Hangovers.

Date: April 13, 2020 12:59PM

upprdeck

I'm with Jim on this as my boss and I were sick in January. I did 4 straight days in bed in order to recover.

I have no idea if it might have been C19 and thus want to be tested.

Date: April 13, 2020 01:15PM

marty
upprdeck

I'm with Jim on this as my boss and I were sick in January. I did 4 straight days in bed in order to recover.

My wife reminded me that back in July I had a fever that ran for a good 5 days; maybe I’m patient zero (well, I didn’t eat any bats as I far as I know) :-P

Posted by: cu155 (104.247.128.---)
Date: April 13, 2020 08:37PM

scoop85
marty
upprdeck

My wife reminded me that back in July I had a fever that ran for a good 5 days; maybe I’m patient zero (well, I didn’t eat any bats as I far as I know) :-P

I do wonder. Last year in Asia there were a high number of unidentified pneumonia cases going around that doctors were having trouble treating. My fiance and I both had it and it was by far the sickest I've ever been (worse by far than swine flu or previous pneumonia that I've had). It makes me think that perhaps there was a precursor/earlier version of C19 floating around China that was already doing bad things in humans which subsequently got worse. Will be interesting to see what antibody tests say when they become widely available. I knew we should have skipped the pangolin steak ;).

Posted by: RichH (45.56.148.---)
Date: April 13, 2020 09:30PM

cu155
scoop85
marty
upprdeck

I do wonder. Last year in Asia there were a high number of unidentified pneumonia cases going around that doctors were having trouble treating. My fiance and I both had it and it was by far the sickest I've ever been (worse by far than swine flu or previous pneumonia that I've had). It makes me think that perhaps there was a precursor/earlier version of C19 floating around China that was already doing bad things in humans which subsequently got worse. Will be interesting to see what antibody tests say when they become widely available. I knew we should have skipped the pangolin steak ;).

Now wouldn't that be a kick if this were the link between losing a possible epic season for CU sports. (Don't worry, I'm nowhere close to serious.) But that's a nice plotline for a movie.

Date: April 16, 2020 12:26PM

cu155
scoop85
marty
upprdeck

A columnist for the NYTimes wrote this today:

When I was sidelined with the flu in January, I thought nothing of it, until it degenerated into one of the weirdest and most painful bouts of flu I have ever had. There were fever spikes, aches, nausea, lack of smell, a persistent dry cough — all of which were later flagged as key symptoms of Covid-19. I recovered after three truly awful weeks of debilitating illness. Once the coronavirus was in full swing, I wondered if I had been an early victim.

She just got tested for antibodies, and it returned negative. Getting a bad flu isn't getting COVID-19.

Posted by: cu155 (198.2.228.---)
Date: April 16, 2020 07:53PM

klehner
cu155
scoop85
marty
upprdeck

When I was sidelined with the flu in January, I thought nothing of it, until it degenerated into one of the weirdest and most painful bouts of flu I have ever had. There were fever spikes, aches, nausea, lack of smell, a persistent dry cough — all of which were later flagged as key symptoms of Covid-19. I recovered after three truly awful weeks of debilitating illness. Once the coronavirus was in full swing, I wondered if I had been an early victim.

She just got tested for antibodies, and it returned negative. Getting a bad flu isn't getting COVID-19.

I'm pretty sure we all agree with you...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2020 05:56PM

klehner
cu155
scoop85
marty
upprdeck

Except you have to look at what's the false negative rate on the test.

I have no idea what test was done, but I've heard some reports of 5-10%.

That may seem huge, but false positive on antibodies is much more important, at least for now.

You don't want to tell someone they have antibodies when they don't. Human nature means they won't be as careful.

False negative doesn't have same effect.

Date: April 17, 2020 07:01PM

Jim Hyla
klehner
cu155
scoop85
marty
upprdeck

Except you have to look at what's the false negative rate on the test.

I have no idea what test was done, but I've heard some reports of 5-10%.

That may seem huge, but false positive on antibodies is much more important, at least for now.

You don't want to tell someone they have antibodies when they don't. Human nature means they won't be as careful.

False negative doesn't have same effect.

Furthermore, the fact that one person who was infected didn't have the Covid19 virus is by definition an anecdote.

Date: April 18, 2020 09:36AM

Hey a quick wrestling note...

the National Wrestling Coaches Association, which traditionally awards All-American honors to the top 8 finishers at NCAAs, this year gave the honors to the top 8 seeds based on their body of work over the course of the season. Congratulations to Cornell's two 2020 All-Americans, Chas Tucker and Ben Darmstadt.

Chas Tucker '20 was a three-year starter at 133, 3x All-Ivy (including a 15-0 record in Ivy duals) and a 3x NCAA qualifier. In three trips to the EIWA conference tournament, he finished 2nd, 1st and 1st. In his senior season he went 32-0 with nine wins over ranked opponents and was heading into the NCAA tournament as the #3 seed. He finished his career at Cornell 82-18. Additionally, in the offseason as a rising Senior, Tucker qualified for the USA's team for the U23 World Championship represented at 61kg. He was also my son's favorite Cornell wrestler, and was incredibly nice when we said hi after the 2019 Columbia dual. Good luck to him in whatever comes next.

Ben Darmstadt '22 (maybe '21...) is now an All-American for the second time. After an All-American freshman campaign at 197, Darmstadt took a year off to have and recover from back surgery. Darmstadt started the year at 184 but found the weight cut sapped his energy and returned to 197. At 197, he went 15-2 (including a loss by injury default that he was winning handily) won his second EIWA title. earned his second All-Ivy honor and qualified for his second NCAA tournament, entering seeded 4th. Even his time at 184 is unfairly maligned; he went 13-4, with three of his losses to first-team All-Americans. Darmstadt has two years of eligibility remaining and the best is to come.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dsl1.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2020 07:41PM

Was wondering what they were going to do about AA. Great for Chas, even though that's not the way he (or anyone) would have wanted it. The young man deserved to call himself an All-American.

Date: May 19, 2020 06:12PM

Just saw this on our local TV station's webpage.

Sounds like he'll be a frosh in '21-'22.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2020 04:11PM

Brett Ungar ~'25 is from "Notre Dame Green Pond"? Makes one think of fertilizer runoff and algae.

Date: May 20, 2020 06:05PM

Ungar is going to be part of a logjam at the lower weights. An embarrassment of riches.

While waiting to find out if a season even happens or for Koll's preseason email... the Flo preseason rankings came out with Cornell #2 - but a distant #2 to Iowa. Here are the individual ranked wrestlers:

125 - SO Vito Arujau #3 coming off an Olympic redshirt in 2020. Arujau was #4 in 2019, finishing ahead of Princeton's Pat Glory who is currently ranked #2. They split their H2H matches. 2020 National Qualifier Dom LaJoie will back him up. Originally people expected Greg D. to skip his greyshirt but apparently he is not coming straight to Cornell.

133 - With Tucker graduated, 133 up for grabs and we don't have a ranked wrestler. Maybe LaJoie bumps up. Maybe JJ Wilson or Philip Moomey.

141 - JR Yianni Diakomihalis #1 is also coming off an Olympic year. 2x National Champion. I thought he was going to bump to 149 but now I'm not so sure. If the team is better with FR Joshua Saunders at 141 and Yianni at 149, we could see that instead.

149 - JR Hunter Richard #22 is a returning national qualifier. If Yianni bumps up, he sits.

157 - SO Colton Yapoujian #24 was cruising before getting injured last year. He probably takes the starting slot back from Adam Santoro.

165 - No ranked wrestler. Probably Andrew Berreyesa again, who I assume is working on attacking and defending legs.

174 - FR Chris Foca #17 looked great in his greyshirt year and is probably going to force Berreyesa to stay at 165.

184 - JR Max Dean #1 is back from his Olympic redshirt as well, after finishing #8 and #2 his first two years.

197 - JR Ben Darmstadt #2 will spend the whole season at his best weight where he is a 2x All-American and a pinning machine. If Jacob Cardenas comes to Cornell (and there are rumors that he won't) we have a very, very good backup.

285 - FR Lewis Fernandes #16 also had a very good greyshirt year. National Qualifier Brendan Furman will move to a backup role.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2020 06:06PM by ugarte.

Date: May 20, 2020 07:44PM

billhoward
Brett Ungar ~'25 is from "Notre Dame Green Pond"? Makes one think of fertilizer runoff and algae.

Well, there actually is a Green Pond. It's fairly nice with a private high school campus on three sides.

OK, there's a corn field across the street, but the water usually overflows from the pond to the corn field. whistle

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: May 22, 2020 10:46AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward

Well, there actually is a Green Pond. It's fairly nice with a private high school campus on three sides.

OK, there's a corn field across the street, but the water usually overflows from the pond to the corn field. whistle

The highway designers sure made it difficult to drive the length of Green Pond Rd. I'm surprised one isn't called Green Pond Road Extension, or some other addition.

Date: May 23, 2020 09:59AM

ugarte

165 - No ranked wrestler. Probably Andrew Berreyesa again, who I assume is working on attacking and defending legs.
Don't forget Julian Ramirez.

Date: May 24, 2020 12:15AM

klehner
ugarte

Don't forget Julian Ramirez.
ooooh true.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2020 08:42AM

Nice article about Yanni in the Rochester D&C.

Date: June 24, 2020 04:07PM

Rob Koll just circulated this quick video on incoming (Class of '24) recruits: [www.youtube.com]. Two notes:

First, no Greg D, which seemingly confirms the reports that he is taking a grey shirt season.
Second, it does list include Jacob Cardenas, which would seem to contradict the rumors that he has decided to go to Ariz. St.

Of course, who knows when there will actually be a season. Koll's email said he had a schedule ready, "but due to other schools budget cut-backs and travel restrictions many changes have to be made."

Date: July 16, 2020 03:12PM

There's a nice long interview with Vito on Flo. Talks about a bunch of stuff you might find interesting.

Date: July 26, 2020 11:43PM

Flo had a wrestling card and two Cornell guys were on it.

Vito Arujau '22* faced Rutgers Soph Sammy Alvarez. Alvarez wrestles at 133; Arujau will probably go 125 again but might wrestle at 133 this year. They wrestled this tournament closer to their walking around weights, because the wrestlers weren't going to cut for an out of season competition, at 140. Alvarez weighed in at 140 on the dot and Arujau came in at 138.6. Arujau gave up a 4 point move and they went into the break with Alvarez up 5-3. The second period was all Arujau, though, and with a late score pushed the final to 16-5 and a win on Technical Superiority.

Kyle Dake '13 wrestled in the main event against Frank Chamizo (Italy by way of Cuba). Chamizo is a 4x Euro champion, 2015 (65Kg) and 2017 (70kg) world champion, 2019 world silver (74kg); 2016 Olympic bronze medalist (65kg). Dake is also a 2x World Champion, winning 2018 and 2019 at 79kg. They wrestled at 79 kg, but if they meet again at the Olympics, it will be down at 74 because 79 is not an Olympic weight (and US qualification is going to be a meat grinder). With the match tied at 1, Chamizo got a 2 point takedown but Dake reversed (for 1) and added a gut-wrench to expose Chamizo's back (for 2). That 4-3 score ended up being the final, but not without a scare for Dake. With 6 seconds left Chamizo nearly got a takedown for 2 and then nearly got a step-out for 1 (and the victory on criteria) and frankly it's incredible that Dake was able to defend until time ran out.

Two big wins for the Cornell family on a fun card that I still can't believe happened.

* '23 probably, since he took an Olympic redshirt to train last year. He finished 3d at the US Senior Nationals, qualifying for the Olympic Team Trials.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 01:15PM by ugarte.

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login