Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse 2020

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Cornell lacrosse 2020
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 03:46PM

teat had 1-4 but we had like 1 assist on the first 10+ goals so the numbers were gonna be low.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2020 05:31PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
14 or 15 goals scored by middies/FoGo. That works for me, especially when people think Teat is our main weapon.

Best collection of middies we’ve had in years. We have two legit midfield lines, and another excellent player, Joe Wolf, who was out today. Once Long gets better acclimated and the attack begins to click, watch out.

Agree that Albany’s FOGO situation looks bad, but all of our guys did a solid job. No real quibble with the defense until the game was out of hand; Albany has some weapons, and they were largely neutralized when it mattered. And Ierlan made a number of big saves while the game was still a contest.

Very encouraging start, although there’s some sloppiness that you would expect for a season opener.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 15, 2020 08:14PM

scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82
14 or 15 goals scored by middies/FoGo. That works for me, especially when people think Teat is our main weapon.

Best collection of middies we’ve had in years. We have two legit midfield lines, and another excellent player, Joe Wolf, who was out today. Once Long gets better acclimated and the attack begins to click, watch out.

Agree that Albany’s FOGO situation looks bad, but all of our guys did a solid job. No real quibble with the defense until the game was out of hand; Albany has some weapons, and they were largely neutralized when it mattered. And Ierlan made a number of big saves while the game was still a contest.

Very encouraging start, although there’s some sloppiness that you would expect for a season opener.

I wondered why I didn't see Wolf's name. He's an Allentown kid, and I'm looking for good things from him.

Date: February 15, 2020 09:54PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82

I wondered why I didn't see Wolf's name. He's an Allentown kid, and I'm looking for good things from him.

I believe Wolf did actually get some time later in the game.

Posted by: Swampy (23.82.10.---)
Date: February 16, 2020 11:58AM

I was really glad I could watch the game on ESPN+. But the extreme homer announcer really put me off. If I'm paying for a streaming sports channel, I expect more professionalism.

OTOH, I learned something. I learned that Albany's campus, with its Rockefeller-era architectural brutalism that ranks #12 among the 50 ugliest campuses in the U.S., is "beautiful" in some eyes.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 16, 2020 01:07PM

but you dont pay for a professional feed, you pay to get the home teams feed most of the time.. paying for a professional feed wont get it done for $5 a month. At that cost its basically free but they get some tracking info to use.

Date: February 16, 2020 01:10PM

Swampy
I was really glad I could watch the game on ESPN+. But the extreme homer announcer really put me off. If I'm paying for a streaming sports channel, I expect more professionalism.

OTOH, I learned something. I learned that Albany's campus, with its Rockefeller-era architectural brutalism that ranks #12 among the 50 ugliest campuses in the U.S., is "beautiful" in some eyes.

Yeah, and he actually said “Albany’s beautiful campus” twice during the telecast.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2020 10:56AM

scoop85
Swampy
Yeah, and he actually said “Albany’s beautiful campus” twice during the telecast.
It worked as irony.

As a HS senior, I visited Albany and Binghamton both in raging snowstorms. Every building at Albany seemed, in the snow, to be sixties-modern marble or concrete of no distinction, and in the library every student seemed to be asleep. I remember wondering, Are they tired or stoned? Still, those two along with Stony Brook and Buffalo (and Geneseo as the honors college) keep NYS competitive when you tabulate best state university systems. Plus SUNY Cornell.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2020 10:55AM

billhoward
scoop85
Swampy
It worked as irony.

As a HS senior, I visited Albany and Binghamton both in raging snowstorms. Every building at Albany seemed, in the snow, to be sixties-modern marble or concrete of no distinction

The old joke was the four SUNYs (Buffalo, Binghamton, Stony Brook, Albany) were identical campuses rendered in four different building materials (marble, concrete, brick, and something else I dunno maybe sandstone?). I've happily forgotten the mapping.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 10:56AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: February 18, 2020 02:45PM

billhoward
scoop85
Swampy
It worked as irony.

As a HS senior, I visited Albany and Binghamton both in raging snowstorms. Every building at Albany seemed, in the snow, to be sixties-modern marble or concrete of no distinction, and in the library every student seemed to be asleep. I remember wondering, Are they tired or stoned? Still, those two along with Stony Brook and Buffalo (and Geneseo as the honors college) keep NYS competitive when you tabulate best state university systems. Plus SUNY Cornell.

I think they’ve done this by putting money into academics instead of campus beautification or factory-like athletics.

Posted by: Swampy (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2020 06:16PM

FWIW, the victory over Albany moves us up from #12 to #11.

And we won 65.6% of faceoffs.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 09:01PM by Swampy.

Posted by: mike1960 (199.116.115.---)
Date: February 21, 2020 04:37PM

Towson - Cornell available on a webcast.

[www.ftfnext.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 04:51PM by mike1960.

Date: February 21, 2020 04:42PM

Looks like Chayse is having a little trouble seeing the ball today. I wonder if the sun is bothering him. Scores from 10 yards plus.

Date: February 21, 2020 04:47PM

The freshman Michael Long - Three minutes, three scores in a row!

Date: February 21, 2020 06:03PM

Really need Chayse to step it up.. Can't be saving at zero % for that long a stretch against the better teams.

Date: February 21, 2020 06:23PM

Petrakis is emerging as the best stick on the faceoffs, but he struggles sometimes after he wins the ball. D1 scrums are vicious places to be. He'll get it figured out with experience, I'm sure.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2020 - CU 17 Towson 10
Date: February 21, 2020 10:38PM

Cornell 5 goals each of the first 3 periods, Towson 3-3-2 and then 2-2 i Q4 to give Cornell a 17-10 win. John Piatelli and freshman Michael Long 4G apiece.

Won faceoffs 21-10.
Outshot Towson 30-18.
Did not score on EMO (0x1 vs Towson 1x1).
Chayse Ierlan 6 saves, 9GA. Bullen played the last 5 minutes.
Middies got 8 goals including 3 by Connor Fletcher, one by FOGO Paul Rasimowicz off a first quarter faceooff.
Jeff Teat 1G on 4 shots, 1A.

Play High Point Sunday 12 noon in Baltimore at Calvert Hall HS. Then TOSU next Sunday in Columbus.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.reverse-dns)
Date: February 22, 2020 03:43PM

I watched Yale v. Penn State. Those are two talented, well-coached, and very physical teams. Cornell will have to play their best games against those two to be successful.

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2020 07:51PM

Not to mention Princeton, which today took down the defending national champs (Virginia) at their home field.

Date: February 23, 2020 02:25PM

Nice game today.. 21-11 i think.

Good games for Long and Teat and Piatelli.

Took way to many Penalties though 5-10 on the man down kills is not gonna be a stat that works against better teams.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2020 03:05PM

upprdeck
yep. any idea why this was a neutral site game?

Date: February 23, 2020 03:32PM

ugarte
upprdeck

Probably to fit the schedule and save travel costs for both teams. High Point Plays UVa on Tuesday, and they're probably not driving home just to double back 200 miles to UVa. So why not squeeze in an extra game?

Date: February 23, 2020 03:35PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
upprdeck

Probably to fit the schedule and save travel costs for both teams. High Point Plays UVa on Tuesday, and they're probably not driving home just to double back 200 miles to UVa. So why not squeeze in an extra game?

Also never hurts to play in a recruiting hotbed.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2020 03:38PM

ugarte
upprdeck
The High Point web site says that

The High Point University men's lacrosse team (1-2) kicks off a two-game road trip starting on Sunday (Feb. 23) at the alma mater of Jon Torpey, PJ Peters, and Trey Smith Calvert Hall in Baltimore, Md. Calvert Hall will be the neutral stage where High Point will matchup against #12 Cornell (2-0) at noon.
The HPU stadium looks pretty good. [highpointpanthers.com]

Posted by: mike1960 (---.cdn77.com)
Date: February 23, 2020 03:59PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
upprdeck

That's what the announcers were saying on Friday. Since they are both in the area, why not play a game. Also, they speculated that Cornell needs quality wins so they can avoid what happened last year.

I listened to the game. It sounded like Raz took most of the faceoffs and did a great job. A lot of Cornell penalties, though, from out-of-control sticks. And one non-releasable from the bench. I wonder what that was about.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2020 04:00PM by mike1960.

Date: February 23, 2020 04:20PM

mike1960

And one non-releasable from the bench. I wonder what that was about.

From what I could gather, it sounded as if the coaches might have been upset about a non-call against HPU.

Date: February 24, 2020 09:03AM

upprdeck
Took way to many Penalties though 5-10 on the man down kills is not gonna be a stat that works against better teams.

You may be too cynical. Pot is half empty, pot is half full:
CornellBigRed.com
As for High Point, the Panthers only scored six, six-on-six goals for the entire contest. Cornell did struggle with penalties over the course of the game, being called for 10 penalties that resulted in 9:30 of man-up time for High Point. This is when the Panthers had its greatest offensive production, but Cornell still managed to hold High Point to 5-of-10 on man-up opportunities. The Big Red capitalized in man-up situations on Sunday, scoring four goals on six man-up chances.

Date: February 24, 2020 09:06AM

billhoward
upprdeck

CornellBigRed.com
As for High Point, the Panthers only scored six, six-on-six goals for the entire contest. Cornell did struggle with penalties over the course of the game, being called for 10 penalties that resulted in 9:30 of man-up time for High Point. This is when the Panthers had its greatest offensive production, but Cornell still managed to hold High Point to 5-of-10 on man-up opportunities. The Big Red capitalized in man-up situations on Sunday, scoring four goals on six man-up chances.

Engineer's response: I think we have twice as much pot as we need.

Credit Dilbert, not me.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2020 10:04AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
upprdeck

CornellBigRed.com

Engineer's response: I think we have twice as much pot as we need.

Credit Dilbert, not me.

+1

Date: February 24, 2020 12:40PM

Cornell #3 in the Massey ratings:

[www.masseyratings.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 24, 2020 01:54PM

wins over #26, #29 and #36. not popping bottles yet. 3-0 is nice though.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 24, 2020 02:02PM

At least it wasn't struggling wins.

SU all pumped after beating Bingo/Colgate and then coming back to beat Army who lost to Marist by 10

Date: February 24, 2020 03:56PM

Quint Kessenich has 4 Ivies in the top ten. We're #7, behind Yale (#1) and Princeton (#5), and ahead of Penn (#9).

Kessenich says of Cornell
They've radically improved the face-off department.

The Big Red have an eclectic offense; each of their premier players (Teat, Donville, Piatelli, Long, Fletcher, Telesco, Licciardi, Lombardi) has an entirely different skill set.

Maverik Media Poll
Puts us at #10, with Yale (#1), Princeton (#8), and Penn (#9) ahead of us. Our opponent next weekend, Ohio State, is #18.

Wow! A league that puts 4/7 teams in the top ten ain't chopped liver. But we sure have our work cut out for us if we want to dance in late May.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 04:08PM by Swampy.

Date: February 25, 2020 11:17AM

ugarte
Yale plays at Cornell 1 pm Saturday, March 14, same as the ECAC hockey quarterfnals in Ithaca. Road trip!

Date: February 25, 2020 11:23AM

CU77
Cornell #3 in the Massey ratings:
[www.masseyratings.com]
Even better in the Massey Ferguson ratings.

But the better Cornell does, the more likely some Big Ten school with greater visions of grandeur will want to hand Millman a fatter paycheck. We're almost the cradle of lacrosse coaches.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 25, 2020 11:35AM

billhoward
ugarte
Yale plays at Cornell 1 pm Saturday, March 14, same as the ECAC hockey quarterfnals in Ithaca. Road trip!

Great. Always love an afternoon lacrosse game followed by drying off and warming up next to Lynah ice.rock

Date: February 25, 2020 02:53PM

TimV
billhoward
ugarte
Great. Always love an afternoon lacrosse game followed by drying off and warming up next to Lynah ice.rock
Recall life before you could hang out (now: hang) in Bartels between periods where it is warm.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2020 03:15PM

Yes and No- Harvard was able to get Gerry Byrne, the former Notre Dame defensive coordinator-Other teams had been after him for years. Yale has been able to keep Andy Shay despite other schools coming after him (His contract was just renewed last year). Point is not every Ivy coach is not looking to ACC or Big Ten.

Date: February 25, 2020 04:53PM

rss77
Yes and No- Harvard was able to get Gerry Byrne, the former Notre Dame defensive coordinator-Other teams had been after him for years. Yale has been able to keep Andy Shay despite other schools coming after him (His contract was just renewed last year). Point is not every Ivy coach is not looking to ACC or Big Ten.

Meanwhile in Ithaca, our head coaches of the past two decades:

Dave Pietremala, Cornell to Hopkins (Big Ten)
Jeff Tambroni, Cornell to Penn State (Big Ten)
Ben DeLuca, Cornell to gone to Duke to Harvard (asst) to Delaware (HC)
Matt Kerwick, Cornell to IMG Academy (Big Time)*
Peter Millman, Cornell now third season HC

Andy Shay being at Yale 17 seasons doesn't offset our coaching churn.

* Matt Kerwick seems to have gone laterally (?) since his time at IMG: From IMG director of lacrosse (summer 2017) to Tampa Preparatory School and Tampa Snooks / Sweetlax regional program (August 2019).

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2020 06:32PM

UMass beat Yale 13-10.

Date: February 29, 2020 10:21PM

thats a shocker i think.

cornell line down to 1.5 tomorrow

Date: February 29, 2020 10:57PM

upprdeck
thats a shocker i think.

cornell line down to 1.5 tomorrow

I'm surprised about the line. The Ohio State hasn't looked that great this year.

Date: March 01, 2020 12:23PM

It would be nice to win ONE faceoff against Ohio State.

Date: March 01, 2020 12:31PM

mike1960

So we go to the long pole on faceoff and must concede the possession and hope for a turnover. Really disappointing.

Date: March 01, 2020 12:35PM

mike1960
mike1960

So we go to the long pole on faceoff and must concede the possession and hope for a turnover. Really disappointing.

Yeah, way too soon for that. Most of the faceoff losses have been off ground ball play, not off the clamp. I’d stick with Raz and Petrakis for now.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 12:36PM

We need to win some faceoffs and have our goalie make more saves (giving up 5 goals while making 2 saves isn't a good percentage).

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 12:51PM

scoop85
mike1960
mike1960

Yeah, way too soon for that. Most of the faceoff losses have been off ground ball play, not off the clamp. I’d stick with Raz and Petrakis for now.

Agreed. Wing play has been disappointing

Date: March 01, 2020 01:04PM

Major coaching shot clock screw up by Ohio State.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 01:08PM

Really bizarre scoreline given the way that half played out.

Date: March 01, 2020 01:14PM

scoop85
mike1960
mike1960

I agree. More Petrakis than Raz, IMO. Let the freshman get battle worn even if it means he loses a lot. We're not doing that great with anyone else.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 01:37PM

We're losing on faceoffs 19-4 but are ahead by 4 goals. Imagine if we could win half of the faceoffs? Chase has played much better in goal after slow start, too.

Date: March 01, 2020 01:44PM

dbilmes
We're losing on faceoffs 19-4 but are ahead by 4 goals. Imagine if we could win half of the faceoffs? Chase has played much better in goal after slow start, too.

We had a year to get this fixed. Didn't do it.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 02:03PM

Gotta hold onto the ball when we have it. Two loose passes.

Date: March 01, 2020 02:10PM

Not great shot selection by Fletcher.

Posted by: RichH (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2020 02:35PM

I've now trained myself to just assume that we're winning when I see so much complaining on this thread.

CU held on, 17-16.

Date: March 01, 2020 03:16PM

really surprised with all the penalties they didnt call any of the pushes on the few faceoffs we were coming out with and that just added to the issues getting the ball

sloppy 4th when we had the game put away.

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 03:26PM

upprdeck
really surprised with all the penalties they didnt call any of the pushes on the few faceoffs we were coming out with and that just added to the issues getting the ball

sloppy 4th when we had the game put away.
Terrible/questionable clock management and shot selection, too. 5 min left, up by 4, and you’re gonna throw an unscreened ball into the keeper’s breadbasket (no chance of a rebound or backup) with 50 seconds left on the shot clock? Pourquoi?

Date: March 01, 2020 05:17PM

RichH
I've now trained myself to just assume that we're winning when I see so much complaining on this thread.

CU held on, 17-16.

When you lose 30 of 37 faceoffs, there's a reason to gripe. Reisman was a great, great player, but is he doing enough with the coach's whistle?

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: March 01, 2020 05:44PM

Fortunately OSU gave us back the ball almost as many times as we lost the faceoff. But for their 25+ turnovers and poor man-up [or our great man-down defense], it might have been a very different game. In addition, their goaltender found his game in the second half -- maybe as late as the 4th quarter -- when he started making saves on some point blank shots. Chase's stats suggest that he may have had issues seeing the ball again. More saves in the second and fourth than in the first and third. OSU scored almost at will from outside in the first quarter.

Date: March 01, 2020 09:47PM

good news is if we got to 50/50 on faceoffs we win by 10.. bad news is it might be much the same in many games this yr. I thought there were a bunch that were pretty neutral so there is hope.

Date: March 01, 2020 11:40PM

mike1960
dbilmes
We had a year to get this fixed. Didn't do it.

COR          OSU
Turnovers lost    9           25
Faceoffs won      7           30

Imagine how bad if Ohio State hadn't turned the ball over so much. (OSU won faceoffs in Q4 7-3 but turned it over 7-3.)

No matter how hard you work on your faceoffs, you may run into the upper limit of a FOGO's ability to improve.

We died a thousand deaths when TD Ierlan decide to transfer to Yale instead of Cornell.

We'll be at a big disadvantage against the very best FOGOs in the country. We're about to learn if that's 5, or 20 who are demonstrably better.

Teat getting free for 4G 2A is nice. Piatelli continues to roll, 5G 3A (and he's got a year left after this) while Michael Long wasn't his usual amazing (freshman self) with 2G 0A.

In addition to #1 Yale's loss to UMass, Penn State barely by #6 Penn 18-17 in OT. With Penn State on a non-releasable penalty, Penn got 2 last minute goals for the tie then lost on a failed clearing pass in OT. FWIW, Penn handled Penn State on faceoffs, 26-13.

Posted by: Swampy (184.170.253.---)
Date: March 02, 2020 12:09AM

I’d have to watch the game again, and even then the camera work may not show it, but it seemed to me the problem on the faceoffs was with the wings, not the FOGOs.

Also, our 2nd SS mids need to be more patient & humble. Be in front of your man, don’t cross your feet, stay on your toes, and play stick-on-stick. If your man passes, you’ve won the battle. There’s no need to try to steal the ball, especially when you’re up 2-6 goals late in the game.

(FWIW, I fixed this post. Damn iPad autocorrect.)
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2020 11:04AM by Swampy.

Date: March 02, 2020 12:58AM

Swampy
I’d have to watch the game again, and even then the camera work may no show it, but it seemed to me the problem on the faceoffs was with the wings, not the FOGOs.

Also, our 2nd SS mids need to be more patient & humble. Be in front of your man, don’t crass your forfeit, stay on your toes, and play stick-on-stick.If your man passes, you’ve win the battle. There’s no need to try to steal the ball.

Great point. There was one OSU scoring play from a face dodge that made Aiden Blake look like his cleats were glued to the floor. Stay in front!

Date: March 02, 2020 07:29AM

OSu did a much better job after the initial faceoff on slashing sticks as we were about to get the ball and kicking the ball out to other people. you change just 4-5 of the faceoff and thats a 2-3 goal swing.

Date: March 02, 2020 08:05AM

mike1960
Swampy
I’d have to watch the game again, and even then the camera work may no show it, but it seemed to me the problem on the faceoffs was with the wings, not the FOGOs.

Also, our 2nd SS mids need to be more patient & humble. Be in front of your man, don’t crass your forfeit, stay on your toes, and play stick-on-stick.If your man passes, you’ve win the battle. There’s no need to try to steal the ball.

Great point. There was one OSU scoring play from a face dodge that made Aiden Blake look like his cleats were glued to the floor. Stay in front!

Yeah, Blake is a talented and athletic kid, but he’s a freshman and it showed yesterday.

Date: March 02, 2020 08:06AM

upprdeck
OSu did a much better job after the initial faceoff on slashing sticks as we were about to get the ball and kicking the ball out to other people. you change just 4-5 of the faceoff and thats a 2-3 goal swing.

That’s how I saw it too. And OSU got away with a number of pushes of our guys off the FO.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-35.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2020 01:38PM

Nice win over the weekend, but surprised to see Cornell jump from 10 all the way to 5 in the polls after squeaking one out

Date: March 02, 2020 02:21PM

CU2007
Nice win over the weekend, but surprised to see Cornell jump from 10 all the way to 5 in the polls after squeaking one out

I think people see the undefeated record more than the details of the game. OTOH, everybody that we just jumped over has one loss, and in a couple cases that loss was just this weekend to either a low-ranked or unranked team.

Date: March 02, 2020 03:21PM

scoop85
mike1960
Swampy

Yeah, Blake is a talented and athletic kid, but he’s a freshman and it showed yesterday.

Oh yes, one other fundamental about playing defensive midfield: Don't watch the stick, don't watch the head, don't watch the eyes: watch the center of the body and stay in front of it.

Your job is to stop your man from scoring, as your teammates' job is to do the same: trust your teammates.

Date: March 02, 2020 03:52PM

of course if you watched the game we were up 16-11 late and let them make it close with 2-3 awful give aways and 2-3 open nets missed from inside 10 ft..

the OSU FO guy coming back makes them a much better team than the first few games.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.cdn77.com)
Date: March 02, 2020 05:34PM

CU2007

The next three games will be the test.

Date: March 05, 2020 06:45PM

First, very early, look at the NCAA tournament bubble. Interesting comment about the 2019 decision.

[lacrossereference.com]

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: March 06, 2020 10:44AM

Al DeFlorio
First, very early, look at the NCAA tournament bubble. Interesting comment about the 2019 decision.

[lacrossereference.com]
The committee, as always, will prioritize whichever criterion gets Hopkins into the tournament.

Date: March 06, 2020 12:26PM

Al DeFlorio
[lacrossereference.com]
Hopkins will still have a good spring season if only because they're in the thick of things in re COVID-19.

As I read it, Cornell is close to a lock on a 2020 tournament slot and yet because it could lose a couple Ivy games, maybe it's not. For Cornell, the games we lose will be to a top-ten team with a much-better-than-us faceoff operation (FOGO guy and the wings).

The Penn State game Saturday will make it clearer how far we can go.

Date: March 06, 2020 12:33PM

billhoward
Sunday at 4

Date: March 06, 2020 08:11PM

Penn and Villanova look like they're playing in the dark at Franklin Field. Cornell gets to do that on a Friday night.

Date: March 07, 2020 06:39PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Sunday at 4

Free stream here:

[www.ftfnext.com]

Date: March 07, 2020 07:02PM

CU77
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Sunday at 4

Free stream here:

[www.ftfnext.com]
FTFNext is available on Roku.

Date: March 08, 2020 02:20PM

Brown upset visiting Virginia 14-13 behind Phil Goss's 16 saves. Down 8-2, Brown scored seven straight.

Date: March 08, 2020 04:34PM

I understand and appreciate old time lacrosse. I was taught: When the opponent take the ball in front of the crease, you lay him out. But the game has changed. That play has hurt the team more than once this year.

Date: March 08, 2020 04:58PM

Eight straight and Cornell up 8-2 after one.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-202-2.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2020 05:26PM

Al DeFlorio
Eight straight and Cornell up 8-2 after one.
12-5 at the half

Date: March 08, 2020 05:28PM

Angelo doing a great job. I like that he's been given the chance to get battle worn to see if he's up to it. It looks like he's up to the challenge.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2020 vs Penn State
Date: March 08, 2020 06:00PM

What a third period turnaround for Penn State now that it's winning more faceoffs, closes to 13-12. Sheesh. 10 goal Cornell run first half answered by 7 for PSU. 13-12 Cornell going into the fourth.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 06:03PM by billhoward.

Date: March 08, 2020 06:32PM

WHAT A GAME

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2020 vs Penn State C18-17
Date: March 08, 2020 06:33PM

Winning goal by our FOGO Angelo Petrakis who failed to get off the field after Teat had tied it at 17 with :18 left & PSU won ensuing faceoff, then turned it over, and Petrakis scores with :08. LGR!

Why Penn State defended Teat with with a shortstick in the last half minute, bad call. Oh well. In the sequence the led to the tying goal, Cornell got a turnover, got the ball to Teat with ~:40 to play and a long pole on him, at :30 SS middie #19 junior Brian Townsend switched onto Teat and was the defender when Teat scored.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 08:55PM by billhoward.

Date: March 08, 2020 06:40PM

billhoward
Winning goal by our FOGO Angelo Petrakis who failed to get off the field after Teat had tied it at 17 with :18 left, PSU won faceoff turned it over, and Petrakis scores with :08. LGR!
I need to see highlights. maybe a full replay.

Date: March 08, 2020 06:42PM

ugarte
billhoward
Winning goal by our FOGO Angelo Petrakis who failed to get off the field after Teat had tied it at 17 with :18 left, PSU won faceoff turned it over, and Petrakis scores with :08. LGR!

It will probably be available here:

[www.ftfnext.com]

Date: March 08, 2020 06:43PM

You're going to see Petrakis charge in on goal and think, cripe, everybody else on the field is a way better shooter, he's gotta pass and - holy shit, his second goal of the game.

Date: March 08, 2020 06:49PM

billhoward
You're going to see Petrakis charge in on goal and think, cripe, everybody else on the field is a way better shooter, he's gotta pass and - holy shit, his second goal of the game.

Penn State didn't really slide to him.

Date: March 08, 2020 06:54PM

billhoward
Why Penn State defended Teat with with a shortstick in the last half minute, bad call. Oh well.

I'd have to watch it again, but IIRC either Teat beat the long-stick that was on him, or there was a pick. Either way, there was a switch and Teat had the shorty. And Long was on the other side of the crease, so the long stick on him didn't want to slide off of him, so Teat could make one of his famous passes.

I would be very surprised if this wasn't a play the coaches had drawn up: get the switch on Teat and then make PSU choose its poison. banana

Date: March 08, 2020 07:13PM

Game winner!

?s=20

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-220-7.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2020 08:50PM

US Lacrosse Magazine recap of the game.

[www.uslaxmagazine.com]

Date: March 08, 2020 09:13PM

How the top ten fared after games through March 8. Cornell came into the game #5 media, #7 USILA. PSU-Cornell was the only top-ten matchup. Losses were by #2 Penn State. #8 Virginia, #10 Notre Dame. #3 Princeton, #4 UNC and #9 Penn beat unranked teams FWIW. Whether we are #2-3-or-4 come Monday, we're in a better place come Monday. Rankings for the week of March 2.
1  Syracuse   def Hopkins 15-9  
2  Penn State L   Cornell 18-17 
3  Princeton  def Rutgers 16-11 
4  UNC        def Furman 18-11 
5  Cornell    def Penn State 18-17 
5  Yale       def Michigan 17-11
7  Maryland   def Albany 14-13
8  Virginia   L   Brown 14-13
9  Penn       def St Joseph's 13-12
10 Notre Dame L   Denver Notre Dame 14-11
We're in a tough place come Saturday because Yale has TD Ierlan as FOGO for his senior season. Yale beat Penn State 12-10 and was ranked #1 then UMass took them down 13-10. There is hope: Yale won 20 of 26 faceoffs vs. UMass and still managed to lose.
Yale on faceoffs this year
Villanova  Y24-10 
Penn State Y16-10
UMass      Y20- 6
Michigan   Y27- 3

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 02:48PM by billhoward.

Date: March 08, 2020 10:35PM

billhoward
10 Notre Dame L Notre Dame 14-11
Classic Fighting Irish

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2020 11:41PM

mike1960
ugarte
billhoward

It will probably be available here:

[www.ftfnext.com]

Game is up on youtube:
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2020 polls 3/9 Cornell #2
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-225-2.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2020 11:57AM

Cornell #2 in the media poll after taking down Penn State, moves up 5 spots. Thank you, Angelo Petrakis. [www.insidelacrosse.com]
Rank Team     Points (1sts) 3/9/2020
1  Syracuse   388 (11 1st)
2  Cornell    373 (6) 
3  Princeton  359 (3) 
4  N Carolina 337
5  Yale       307
6  Maryland   298
7  Penn State 292 
8  Duke       241
9  Virginia   218
10 Denver     210
Penn fell 9 places to 16 now that it's 2-3. Also got votes: Hobart, Brown. First 4 teams are 5-0, UNC is 6-0 as is Georgetown. The rest have 1 or 2 losses.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 12:00PM by billhoward.

Date: March 09, 2020 12:05PM

i wonder where Cornell would have landed had they finished the game up 7-8 goals like they were mid 2nd quarter.

Date: March 09, 2020 12:07PM

billhoward
Cornell #2 in the media poll after taking down Penn State, moves up 5 spots. Thank you, Angelo Petrakis. [www.insidelacrosse.com]
Rank Team     Points (1sts) 3/9/2020
1  Syracuse   388 (11 1st)
2  Cornell    373 (6) 
3  Princeton  359 (3) 
4  N Carolina 337
5  Yale       307
6  Maryland   298
7  Penn State 292 
8  Duke       241
9  Virginia   218
10 Denver     210
Penn fell 9 places to 16 now that it's 2-3. Also got votes: Hobart, Brown. First 4 teams are 5-0, UNC is 6-0 as is Georgetown. The rest have 1 or 2 losses.

Georgetown and UNC play next Saturday, so this might change.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-225-2.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2020 12:41PM

upprdeck
i wonder where Cornell would have landed had they finished the game up 7-8 goals like they were mid 2nd quarter.
#1 Syracuse scores this year
21-14  Colgate
17- 4  Binghamton
 9 -7  Army (was #7 on gameday, now #16)
21-13  Hobart
15- 9  Hopkins

Next Syracuse games are @Rutgers, @Duke #8 currently, @Notre Dame #13 currently, @Albany, @Cornell #2.

Currently Syracuse has won 100 of 149 faceoffs which would be .671.
Currently Cornell has won 92 of 174 or .521
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2020 02:37PM by billhoward.

Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login