Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's basketball 2019-20

Posted by billhoward 
Men's basketball 2019-20
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2019 06:59PM

If prognosticators have already placed Cornell's finish for 2019-20 - 8th or last, depending on the spin - it's time for a 2019-20 thread.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 07:49PM by billhoward.

Re: Men's basketball 2019-20
Date: April 11, 2019 07:01PM

Arizona looking good 2019-20 thanks to a Cornell transfer. [www.azdesertswarm.com]

Ryan Kelapire and Brian J. Pedersen Mar 14, 2019
Arizona is set to bring in the No. 1 recruiting class in the country for next season, a five-man group that will serve as the heart of the team and provide at least two starters, if not more. Also part of the mix will be power forward Stone Gettings, a transfer from Cornell who joined the program in January and who figures to be a top candidate to start. With seven scholarship players eligible to return—if you don’t count junior Jake DesJardins, who was a walk-on before the 2018-19 season—there’s your full roster. But coach Sean Miller hasn’t been shy about the prospect of Arizona adding more new pieces to the puzzle for next year, something that can only happen if currently occupied spots open up.
We should be proud.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: July 28, 2019 11:08AM

The official newcomer announcement is out: Link

This is an enormously important class for Earl because last year's class had a very disappointing debut and back-to-back poor classes would be a disaster.*

The recruiting services don't think much of the Big Red's class, but there are a few reasons for cautious optimism. SG Jordan Jones missed his 8th and 9th grade seasons with an auto-immune issue and probably fell off a lot of recruiting lists, but he has really come on. His senior HS season, he averaged 23-10 for a decently-sized, LA-area private school. He then took a PG year at Phillips Exeter where he averaged 18p, 7r, 3a, 3st, lead the team to the league title and won POY at his division. The last 3 guys to win POY in that division are a guy who was Stanford's sixth man as a freshman (since transferred to Notre Dame), Colgate's starting Point Guard who was 2nd team all-Patriot League as a sophomore last year, and Miye Oni, the reigning Ivy POY and a 2nd round NBA draft pick. If James is anywhere in that spectrum, he'll be an impact player for the BR.

The most highly-recruited kid in this year's class is point guard Greg Dolan. Dolan was a stud for Williamsville South outside of Buffalo (2000 career points, Mr. Basketball finalist). He took a PG year at Northfield Mount Hermon, where he put up very good point guard numbers (12p, 6a, 5r) on the league champion and was named second team all-league. Dolan had offers from a bunch of schools in the Cornell range and is probably a safe bet to be at least a solid Ivy point guard, with a decent chance to be the best Big Red point since Lou and 'ski.

The rest of the class is okay. Marcus Fillen was a good forward for Albany Academy (14-8) who had a so-so PG year at Phillips Andover. Chuks Uzoka is lottery ticket forward from Houston, but one who is enrolled in the AAP program so he may not have time to work on his game. Sarju Patel is a shooting guard who is transferring in from VMI (coached by Earl's brother). He averaged 10 points a game last year at the D-1 level so he's probably a safe bet to make the rotation after sitting out this year. I found it interesting that Earl's three main recruits all did a PG year, which is what his best recruit so far (Boeheim) did.

* Earl's first class has actually aged fairly well: Boeheim's good; Julian gave the team two solid years; and McBride has flashed some potential even though he regressed last year. But just as importantly there have been a lot of flops around the league: Penn's class can't get healthy; Princeton's star recruit has been meh; Columbia's star recruit transferred; Brown's ROY transferred. After two years, Cornell's class is probably 6th best in the league and not too far behind Brown, Columbia or Harvard.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2019 03:44PM

mountainred
The official newcomer announcement is out: Link

This is an enormously important class for Earl because last year's class had a very disappointing debut and back-to-back poor classes would be a disaster.*

The recruiting services don't think much of the Big Red's class, but there are a few reasons for cautious optimism. SG Jordan Jones missed his 8th and 9th grade seasons with an auto-immune issue and probably fell off a lot of recruiting lists, but he has really come on. His senior HS season, he averaged 23-10 for a decently-sized, LA-area private school. He then took a PG year at Phillips Exeter where he averaged 18p, 7r, 3a, 3st, lead the team to the league title and won POY at his division. The last 3 guys to win POY in that division are a guy who was Stanford's sixth man as a freshman (since transferred to Notre Dame), Colgate's starting Point Guard who was 2nd team all-Patriot League as a sophomore last year, and Miye Oni, the reigning Ivy POY and a 2nd round NBA draft pick. If James is anywhere in that spectrum, he'll be an impact player for the BR.

The most highly-recruited kid in this year's class is point guard Greg Dolan. Dolan was a stud for Williamsville South outside of Buffalo (2000 career points, Mr. Basketball finalist). He took a PG year at Northfield Mount Hermon, where he put up very good point guard numbers (12p, 6a, 5r) on the league champion and was named second team all-league. Dolan had offers from a bunch of schools in the Cornell range and is probably a safe bet to be at least a solid Ivy point guard, with a decent chance to be the best Big Red point since Lou and 'ski.

The rest of the class is okay. Marcus Fillen was a good forward for Albany Academy (14-8) who had a so-so PG year at Phillips Andover. Chuks Uzoka is lottery ticket forward from Houston, but one who is enrolled in the AAP program so he may not have time to work on his game. Sarju Patel is a shooting guard who is transferring in from VMI (coached by Earl's brother). He averaged 10 points a game last year at the D-1 level so he's probably a safe bet to make the rotation after sitting out this year. I found it interesting that Earl's three main recruits all did a PG year, which is what his best recruit so far (Boeheim) did.

* Earl's first class has actually aged fairly well: Boeheim's good; Julian gave the team two solid years; and McBride has flashed some potential even though he regressed last year. But just as importantly there have been a lot of flops around the league: Penn's class can't get healthy; Princeton's star recruit has been meh; Columbia's star recruit transferred; Brown's ROY transferred. After two years, Cornell's class is probably 6th best in the league and not too far behind Brown, Columbia or Harvard.

Looks like some good backcourt help, but another class short on size in the front court.

Date: September 19, 2019 10:25AM

The schedule is out and Bart Torvik has an early projection: 7-20 overall, 2-12 in the league. That's a solid 3 games back of Yale who he has projected for 7th.

Torvik doesn't expect much from the two freshman I'm most optimistic about (Dolan and Jones), so there is room for growth.

Unfortunately, while the rest of the league is picking up recruits for 2020, I can't find anyone committed to Cornell. If Earl doesn't have a "good get" in there, especially a big man or two, the talent gap is going to grow out of control.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2019 10:47AM

mountainred
The schedule is out and Bart Torvik has an early projection: 7-20 overall, 2-12 in the league. That's a solid 3 games back of Yale who he has projected for 7th.

Torvik doesn't expect much from the two freshman I'm most optimistic about (Dolan and Jones), so there is room for growth.

Unfortunately, while the rest of the league is picking up recruits for 2020, I can't find anyone committed to Cornell. If Earl doesn't have a "good get" in there, especially a big man or two, the talent gap is going to grow out of control.

I think we'll be reasonably competitive this year, but I'd be surprised with more than 10 wins overall and 4 or 5 league wins. Like you I'm most concerned with the future outlook, as most of the other Ivies are picking up top 200-level talent, and we seem to be lagging.

Date: September 19, 2019 11:49AM

When Brian Earl came here in spring 2016, he seemed like the real deal. IIRC, he was vetted by the players - at least, they got a chance to meet him before the hiring. Cornell is rural and that hurts basketball recruiting. But for us to be ranked behind more-remote Dartmouth 149 (of all D1 teams) and Yale (194) to our 304 ...

Date: October 01, 2019 10:22AM

Earl has his first recruit for 2020: Sean Hansen, a 6'8" forward out of NJ. As scoop85 said on the Ivy BBall forum, he looks a bit like Jimmy Boeheim (our JB, not the coach).

In opponent news, Dartmouth has lost senior guard, and probably their second best player, Brendan Barry for the season.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2019 09:53PM

Kinda sorta on topic, former Penn and Brown coach Glen Miller named in a sex discrimination suit along with Jim Calhoun: [www.courant.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2019 10:03PM

In more relevant news, Cornell hoops picks-up a commitment from PG Isaiah Gray from Brooklyn who’s playing this year at Cushing Academy. Had offers from Holy Cross, Binghamton, NJIT and a few others.

He seems to have an excellent skill set as a shooter, passer and slasher to the basket

Date: October 11, 2019 09:16AM

I'm a little more bearish on Gray, but he's a D1 talent who should help. My time in Indiana skewed my view of high school gyms, but those looked like really small facilities for a NYC school. Or is that just the way it is in the City?

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: October 11, 2019 12:58PM

mountainred
I'm a little more bearish on Gray, but he's a D1 talent who should help. My time in Indiana skewed my view of high school gyms, but those looked like really small facilities for a NYC school. Or is that just the way it is in the City?

That's funny. Watching the clip, I was reminded of how large MLK HS's gym is (played there a number of times back in the day). City gyms are fairly basic

Date: October 12, 2019 12:04PM

arugula
mountainred

That's funny. Watching the clip, I was reminded of how large MLK HS's gym is (played there a number of times back in the day). City gyms are fairly basic

Different world. Newman Arena isn't is enormous, but it does seat 4473. That would only be the 42nd largest HS gym in Indiana.

Posted by: arugula (---.s2163.c3-0.avec-cbr2.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: October 12, 2019 02:38PM

Different world indeed. Hs hoops in NYC is often an after school activity. Lucky if you have ten people in the stands.

mountainred
arugula
mountainred

Different world. Newman Arena isn't is enormous, but it does seat 4473. That would only be the 42nd largest HS gym in Indiana.

Date: October 27, 2019 12:14PM

Coach Earl has his third recruit, Chris Manon, a 6-4 shooting guard who is taking a post graduate year at St. Thomas More. According to this story, Manon averaged 12 points a game as HS senior. According to Verbal Commits, St. Francis (Pa) and BU had interest.

The team was supposed to have "secret" scrimmages last week v. Canisius and yesterday v. Niagara (though Niagara had to replace head coaches this week, so who knows if that messed with the schedule). I haven't such much at all on either.

Date: November 02, 2019 04:42PM

The guys start up the season on Tuesday (at home versus Binghamton). There is a lot to replace. In addition to Matt's graduation, the BR lost their starting center and four rotation guards. In all, about 55% minutes need to replaced.

Returning starters: Jr. Jimmy Boeheim is probably the top returnee (12 points a game with a couple of big nights). Jimmy is an adept shooter around the basket, hot and cold from behind the arc and a high effort defender. It will be interesting to see how he handles being the focus of opposing defenses. Sr. Josh Warren knows his role in Earl's system; he was missed in the CIT loss. He's a pretty safe bet for 10 points, 4-5 rebounds and 3-4 assists a game. Jr. Terrence McBride is a top-flight defender who takes care of the ball well as a PG, but needs to be more aggressive on offense (especially without the Morgan safety net). Jr. Riley Voss didn't start any games last year, but his minutes rose late. He's a bit a tweener; skilled but not quite quick enough (or a good enough shooter) to be a D1 guard or big enough to play forward at this level. No idea what to expect from Chuks Uzoka.

Newcomers: So. Matt Harshany was a 2000+ point scorer in high school who missed all of last year because of injury. A couple of power five teams wanted him as a preferred walk-on. Of the frosh, I'm optimistic that Jordan Jones will be a difference maker after a big post graduate season last year and Greg Dolan should be a fine to very good point guard (though he may need a year to get up to speed). Marcus Filien will be in the mix for time in the front court.

Other guards: Jr. Bryan Knapp has showed flashes, but the game has looked too fast for him. Perhaps it slows down during his junior year the way it did for fellow Smith Day School alum Eitan Chermeninski. Sophs. Dean Noll and Max Samberg were deep bench players last year. Sr. Noah Gear is walking on.

Other forwards: Last year's JUCO recruits Thurston McCarty and Chaz Mack were, frankly, really disappointing last year as neither earned meaningful minutes. The other post option is So. Kobe Dickson who was really raw last year but is literally the only 6-9 or taller player on this team. Expect these guys to get lot of chances to prove themselves, or else this team is going to be really small.

The pre-season poll pegged the Big Red for a tie with Dartmouth at 7th place (I know that is also last). Columbia got some bad news this week when Sr. big man Patrick Tape announced he would skip this year, graduate, and play elsewhere next year. Throw in an injury to Gabe Stefanini and the Lions may fall into the tier with Cornell and Dartmouth and make 6th place a realistic goal. Harvard and Penn are the class and it is hard to see the guys challenging Yale, Princeton or Brown for an ILT slot without a lot of weirdness.

Posted by: mountainred (50.106.190.---)
Date: November 05, 2019 08:58PM

Encouraging start for the guys, cruising past Bingo 84-64. The Bearcats aren't good, but it nice to have a comfortable second half. The offense looked like it made the transition from Matt to Boeheim (24 points on a great shooting night). Warren played well in his usual role (19 points, 7 assists) and McBride looked like his freshman version (15 points only 1 turnover). Sr. Thurston McCarty is the defensive center (6 reb, 3 blks) while giving the team some offense (11 points, but will he hit 3 of 4 from behind the arc every night?)

The offense moved the ball well and might be really efficient. The defense may struggle against better competition, but they shut down Bingo. And despite a big height advantage for the Bearcats, the Big Red out rebounded them 38-29.

The rest of the nine man rotation: Knapp started at the off guard and had a fairly quiet 30 minutes. Dean Noll had the most minutes off the bench and had a good stat line (8p 5r). Voss looked okay, but had 4 fouls in 6 minutes. Dickson played 10 minutes and was noticeable drop off from McCarty (Mack didn't play until the final seconds). Jones was the only freshman who played; 9 minutes and he looked really quick.

In all, a nice win. Bryant is also supposed to stink, so a 2-0 start is doable.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2019 07:20PM

mountainred

Twas not to be. Bryant pulls out the 1 point win at home. Looks like it will be another long season.

Date: November 11, 2019 09:56AM

semsox
mountainred

Twas not to be. Bryant pulls out the 1 point win at home. Looks like it will be another long season.

Boeheim missed a shot at the buzzer that would have won it. Bryant had narrow losses to Brown and Rutgers, so this loss is disappointing, but not the end of the world. Can't keep giving up offensive rebounds, though.

In all, I kinda like the main 5-6 guys, but the depth falls off after that. That could be an issue when the Ivy season starts.

Next up, a home game with NJIT that is winnable, but will be tough. Then two near certain losses (@DePaul, @Syracuse).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2019 08:59PM

mountainred
Next up, a home game with NJIT that is winnable, but will be tough.
Certainly was "winnable" with an 18-point halftime lead, yet another last second 1-point loss. Sorry to say, but this is a pick-up team on offense. No system, pattern or weave. Disappointing from Earl, who has apparently forgotten his basketball roots.

Posted by: mountainred (---.163.136.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 13, 2019 09:23PM

Al DeFlorio
mountainred
Next up, a home game with NJIT that is winnable, but will be tough.
Certainly was "winnable" with an 18-point halftime lead, yet another last second 1-point loss. Sorry to say, but this is a pick-up team on offense. No system, pattern or weave. Disappointing from Earl, who has apparently forgotten his basketball roots.

Only saw the second half, but it was pretty brutal. A D1 team should never go 1 for 16 from behind the arc for an entire half. With the possible exception of McBride, there is no one on this team that can make “hero ball” work. Maybe Earl can use this tape to show the team what happens when they stop running the offense.

Barring a miracle, the next two won’t be pretty.

Date: November 24, 2019 01:30PM

Turns out the next three weren't pretty. The losses to DePaul and Syracuse were expected (and the guys hung with the Orange for 30 or so minutes) but last night's Coppin State overtime loss was awful basketball.

One bright side was the rebounding: 26(!) offensive boards and 54 total. The D was okay I guess, but CSU's offense was 15 seconds of playground ball followed by a wild shot or a three ball. They are bottom ten nationally in efficiency and it showed.

The offense was just brutal. The guys share the ball, but there is no cutting or attacking the basket so the passes just go around the arc in the hope the D blows a coverage. And the shooting was unbelievably bad - under 30% as a team. The three point shooting has been ugly all season, but the shooting yips crept into all phases of the game last night. It was bad basketball all around. Maybe you could you say it is nice they almost stole a win playing that poorly, but they didn't and it wasn't.

At least Columbia is struggling too. They just lost to Rider when the Broncs closed the game out on a 25-0 run.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2019 01:40PM

Seesaw battle with Lafayette on ESPN+ in a prime display of white prep school hoops.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 01:41PM by Trotsky.

Date: December 07, 2019 03:10PM

Trotsky
Seesaw battle with Lafayette on ESPN+ in a prime display of white prep school hoops.

And another close loss, 62-59, to a quality Lafayette squad. Cornell is likely the best 1-7 team in the country, but the record is what it is.

Date: December 07, 2019 03:13PM

Lafayette hits a late 3 and wins 62-59. Back and forth, and sloppy, the entire game. Boeheim had 27 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists, but received almost no offensive support.

The amazing stat is the team shot 3-21 from behind the arc. 14%. Didn't think that was possible at this level.

Date: December 07, 2019 03:16PM

scoop85
Trotsky

And another close loss, 62-59, to a quality Lafayette squad. Cornell is likely the best 1-7 team in the country, but the record is what it is.

They are what 4 or 5 possessions from 5-3?

The three point shooting is killing them. They can't be this bad at that, can they?

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: December 07, 2019 04:22PM

maybe its a Boehiem thing? Su has shot like that most games this yr

Date: December 08, 2019 10:18AM

upprdeck
maybe its a Boehiem thing? Su has shot like that most games this yr

Maybe, but he's infected the entire team. No regular is shooting even 30%.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.118.---)
Date: December 10, 2019 07:33PM

Harvard, which is hosting the Ivy League tournament this season, is selling tickets for the tournament. You can buy seats in the Cornell block, and if Cornell doesn't make the tournament, you can get your money refunded (unless you still want to go!). Act now. Tickets are going fast!

Posted by: mountainred (50.106.174.---)
Date: December 11, 2019 09:30PM

Another depressing loss: 'gate 66-58

Game started well, as Cornell had a 44-33 lead early in the second half, in large part because the offense moved well and took good shots. Then the wheels fell off and Colgate went on a 23-2 run that saw lots of poor 3's and slow D. Colgate could't put the Red away, but Cornell also couldn't make enough plays to get closer than 5 and the game kind of ended in whimper.

Warren had the quietest double/double I've ever seen. 11 days off before a trip to Hartford.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.118.---)
Date: December 18, 2019 03:44PM

Despite the team's poor record, fans are optimistic about our changes of qualifying for the Ivy Tourney. The latest email I got from Harvard athletics said the Cornell seating bloc is almost sold out!

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.59.---)
Date: December 22, 2019 03:55PM

Worst one yet, as the guys squander a 15 point second half lead and lose 80-76 to Hartford to fall to 1-0.

A dubious intentional foul on Jones with about 4 minutes left didn't help, but the team just lost their poise late.

Boeheim had a big offensive day with 26 points and Kobe Dickson came off the bench for 20 minutes to give the Big Red a real post player. It would be nice if he can sustain that.

It's a week off before an almost certain loss at Penn State then a D3 game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2019 04:07PM by mountainred.

Date: December 22, 2019 04:05PM

mountainred
Worst one yet, as the guys squander a 15 point second half lead and lose 80-76 to fall to 1-0.

A dubious intentional foul on Jones with about 4 minutes left didn't help, the team just lost their poise late.

Almost impossible to blow that many 2nd half leads.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.59.---)
Date: December 22, 2019 06:57PM

scoop85
mountainred
Worst one yet, as the guys squander a 15 point second half lead and lose 80-76 to fall to 1-0.

A dubious intentional foul on Jones with about 4 minutes left didn't help, the team just lost their poise late.

Almost impossible to blow that many 2nd half leads.

According to Bart Torvik, Cornell had a 97%+ win likelihood in both the NJIT and today's game (even with the 11 point lead at 'gate, the BR were only slight favorites. You just knew Colgate had a run in them, just not as big as it was).

So, not impossible, but close.

Date: December 29, 2019 12:51PM

Penn State on pace to break 100.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 12:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 29, 2019 01:50PM

Trotsky

By the time I found the game on TV here, we were already down by almost 20. pain

Decided to watch the Premier League instead.

Date: December 29, 2019 02:13PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

By the time I found the game on TV here, we were already down by almost 20. pain

Next year Earl has got to get this program headed in the right direction, or else a coaching change may be in order. I don’t think he’s a terrible coach, but he’s not getting enough talent to compete in today’s ever-improving Ivy League.

Date: December 29, 2019 02:41PM

scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

Next year Earl has got to get this program headed in the right direction, or else a coaching change may be in order. I don’t think he’s a terrible coach, but he’s not getting enough talent to compete in today’s ever-improving Ivy League.

Was watching wrestling with live stats open in another tab just in case there was a reason to switch. There wasn't. 90-59 final by the way.

Coming into the season, I would have said Earl was a fine coach who may not be able to recruit well enough. This season hasn't done him any favors.

The guys don't play another D1 game until 3 weeks from now when league play starts!?!

Date: December 30, 2019 01:12PM

We finish 2020 at 1-10, current streak L-10, and we are still the maybe best one-win team in the country. So there is that. Interesting margin-of-loss:
02 (OT)
Mean MOL   10.5
Median MOL  4
Mode MOL    1

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 07:43PM

At the half: D3 school 38 Cornell 37.

Yeah, Boeheim isn't playing, but still. This is bad.

Date: January 07, 2020 08:02PM

mountainred
At the half: D3 school 38 Cornell 37.

Yeah, Boeheim isn't playing, but still. This is bad.

“Bad” is actually an understatement.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 08:47PM

Earl must have lit a fire under the guys at halftime, because the second half was all Big Red. 100-68 final as Cornell shot over 80% for most of the the second half.

Big games by Noll (21 points) and Dolan (18 points 4 assists in 17 minutes).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2020 08:57PM by mountainred.

Posted by: bandit (147.129.157.---)
Date: January 08, 2020 04:50PM

What is up with the D III schools on the schedule? I believe Elmira has been added as well? You won't improve playing less then talent...coaching 101! Unless trying to pad the W column.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2020 04:53PM

bandit
What is up with the D III schools on the schedule? I believe Elmira has been added as well? You won't improve playing less then talent...coaching 101! Unless trying to pad the W column.

Guaranteed, there's someone at Towson and/or Penn State asking what's up with Ivy League bottom dwellers on the schedule. You can't insist better teams play down to you without saying yes to some teams who want to play up to you.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: January 08, 2020 05:13PM

Beeeej
bandit

Guaranteed, there's someone at Towson and/or Penn State asking what's up with Ivy League bottom dwellers on the schedule. You can't insist better teams play down to you without saying yes to some teams who want to play up to you.
We play one D-III team a year as some kind of tradition. We have added a second to pad the win column before getting ripped apart during the Ivy schedule.

Date: January 08, 2020 06:30PM

Elmira was a last minute add to "replace" the canceled home game with Towson and break up what would have been an 11 game lay-off. I'm not a big fan of D3 games, but finding out of conference opponents in early January is almost impossible because the rest of the world is playing in conference unless there is TV $$$$. At best, they give the deep bench guys a chance to play after practicing all season.

Elmira is 1-10 and will be playing their third game in four days. It better be little more than a scrimmage with overpriced drinks for sale.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 06:31PM by mountainred.

Date: January 13, 2020 10:07AM

Because this thread needs some potentially good news -- Recruit Sean Hansen had a 38 point, 5 block game over the weekend.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.43.---)
Date: January 13, 2020 07:41PM

Cornell 70 Elmira 33. Elmira was awful, even by D3 standards. But no one got hurt and the bench guys got some minutes.

Date: January 18, 2020 07:50PM

Hoops losing to a poor Columbia team 48-29 at the half in NYC. We’ve now officially become a shit-show.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 18, 2020 08:08PM

scoop85
Hoops losing to a poor Columbia team 48-29 at the half in NYC. We’ve now officially become a shit-show.

What were we before? Piss poor?

pain

Date: January 18, 2020 08:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85

pain

Well, we had been competitive against better competition earlier in the year, and in fact led in many of the games. Now we can’t seem to compete with another Ivy bottom-feeder.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.43.---)
Date: January 18, 2020 08:58PM

scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85

pain

Well, we had been competitive against better competition earlier in the year, and in fact led in many of the games. Now we can’t seem to compete with another Ivy bottom-feeder.

Second half was better, but still a 75-61 loss. Cornell made it a little interesting, but there isn't enough offense to come back from 19.

McBride had a nice game, but otherwise it was pretty bad.

I'm with Scoop, I didn't think it would be this bad back in November. But the team is really struggling.

Date: January 25, 2020 05:14PM

Holy shit, we're winning. 42-36 vs Columbia.

Date: January 25, 2020 05:47PM

62-50, final. It would appear we are not the worst D-1 basketball program in the nation.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.17.---)
Date: January 25, 2020 07:16PM

Trotsky
62-50, final. It would appear we are not the worst D-1 basketball program in the nation.

There are worse. Which is scary. But I'm just going to be happy with the first D1 win in almost three months.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2020 02:17AM

somehow the basketball discussion about the current year got shifted to the 20-21 thread, which started with a discussion of scheduling changes.

in any event, i was looking at the schedule and even though this is admittedly a stupid way of looking at it, we have 6 losses by 4 or fewer points; flipping those games would give us a 12-11 record. it is very difficult to conceive of this team having a winning record but for a few bounces.

Date: February 26, 2020 08:58AM

Never noticed the drift -- maybe we just want this season to be over?

I think Scoop called the guys the best 1-7 team in the country a few months back. Not to bring back any painful memories, a couple of those close losses came after blowing big leads, so they felt terrible.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2020 08:55AM

When Brian Earl was hired I was very hopeful that he could get Cornell back to a winning program. Inability to recruit strength up front up front has hampered their efforts. Continuing recent trends point production has come from Knapp and McBride at the guard position with inconsistent point production from the front line.

Date: March 01, 2020 03:02PM

Pretty mediocre final home stand. Double digit loss to Dartmouth. Nine point loss to Harvard, but the Crimson led by 20 and there was never a moment in the second half where the BR had a realistic shot of winning.

My take is that a big man would be great, but Earl needs to recruit better at all positions. Dickson (So.) and Filien (Fr.) have gotten regular minutes the last two weekends and have looked intriguing for the future, but I don't see either being the next Shonn Miller.

Posted by: rss77 (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2020 10:22PM

Pretty surprising win at Princeton. They bring back some pieces back year like McBride, Boeheim, Knapp, and Dickson and maybe can get to 10-12 wins at best. Earl will be in his 5th year-make or break?

Date: March 09, 2020 02:30PM

Did not see that coming (also did not see the game). 11 for 17 from behind the arc will play, but where the heck has that been all season?

McBride found another gear after Jimmy's injury and Knapp found his shooting touch in the Ivy season. If they can maintain that level next season, plus a healthy Boeheim, there's a senior core for a decent run.* IMHO, the key will be whether Dickson and this year's freshmen (Dolan, Jones and Filien) keep improving. They showed a few flashes. If they don't, it's probably time to move on from Earl.

"Decent run" being defined as fighting for .500 and a plausible shot at the ILT. Outside of Cornell, graduation hits the league hard this year.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2020 03:55PM

mountainred
Did not see that coming (also did not see the game). 11 for 17 from behind the arc will play, but where the heck has that been all season?

McBride found another gear after Jimmy's injury and Knapp found his shooting touch in the Ivy season. If they can maintain that level next season, plus a healthy Boeheim, there's a senior core for a decent run.* IMHO, the key will be whether Dickson and this year's freshmen (Dolan, Jones and Filien) keep improving. They showed a few flashes. If they don't, it's probably time to move on from Earl.

"Decent run" being defined as fighting for .500 and a plausible shot at the ILT. Outside of Cornell, graduation hits the league hard this year.

I'm thinking the team has to be at least above .500 and overall and at least .500 in the league to justify keeping Earl around. But I think they'll be enough there to get that done.

Date: March 11, 2020 11:54AM

Terrance McBride was named Honorable Mention All-Ivy (meaning, I think, he was named on at least two ballots). He really had a nice season.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2020 08:31PM

Rick Pitino signs with Iona. Yes, Iona. We can’t compete with Iona in regards to hiring a coach with Iona?!?

Date: March 14, 2020 08:49PM

toddlose
Rick Pitino signs with Iona. Yes, Iona. We can’t compete with Iona in regards to hiring a coach with Iona?!?

He’s very damaged goods. Cornell wouldn’t hire him even if he could produce a national champion.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2020 12:33AM

scoop85
toddlose

He’s very damaged goods. Cornell wouldn’t hire him even if he could produce a national champion.
Iona is also in New Rochelle and Pitino will live wherever he lived when he coached the Knicks. Iona is a better job for Pitino.

Posted by: Rita (---.ftmy.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2020 05:09PM

ugarte
scoop85
toddlose

Iona is also in New Rochelle and Pitino will live wherever he lived when he coached the Knicks. Iona is a better job for Pitino.

Iona is a Catholic school, Pitino is a Catholic who has sinned. Pitino will do his penance and bring Iona to national prominence and all will be forgiven.

Date: March 21, 2020 09:00AM

Rita
ugarte
scoop85
toddlose

Iona is a Catholic school, Pitino is a Catholic who has sinned. Pitino will do his penance and bring Iona to national prominence and all will be forgiven.

Well, he does keep moving around between parishes...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 12:24PM

Trotsky
Rita
ugarte
scoop85
toddlose

Yeah, like an abusive priest.

Date: March 21, 2020 07:21PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Rita
ugarte
scoop85
toddlose

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.44.98.30.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2020 08:01PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Rita
ugarte
scoop85
toddlose

Ah. Never mind.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dsl1.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2020 09:36AM

While Coach Earl has no doubt been engaged in social distancing, he added one more recruit. Evan Williams is 6-7 forward from Plano East HS with a handful of low mid-major D1 offers. The list isn't great, mainly Southland schools, but it's probably the best of any of this year's recruits. He was first-team all-district and led his team in scoring (10.3 points per game), rebounds (6.9) and blocked shots (1.2). The local papers say he battled mono early in the season, so that could have impacted his stats. He at least has potential.

I apparently missed the commitment of another young man from Plano, Keller Boothby, who spent a post-grad year at Wilbraham and Monson Academy. A short, sort of, scouting report is here, but his only other offer, according to Verbal Commits, was D2 UT Tyler. If true, that doesn't bode terribly well, but here's to hoping for the best.

Date: April 05, 2020 10:52AM

mountainred
While Coach Earl has no doubt been engaged in social distancing, he added one more recruit. Evan Williams is 6-7 forward from Plano East HS with a handful of low mid-major D1 offers. The list isn't great, mainly Southland schools, but it's probably the best of any of this year's recruits. He was first-team all-district and led his team in scoring (10.3 points per game), rebounds (6.9) and blocked shots (1.2). The local papers say he battled mono early in the season, so that could have impacted his stats. He at least has potential.

I apparently missed the commitment of another young man from Plano, Keller Boothby, who spent a post-grad year at Wilbraham and Monson Academy. A short, sort of, scouting report is here, but his only other offer, according to Verbal Commits, was D2 UT Tyler. If true, that doesn't bode terribly well, but here's to hoping for the best.

Looks like Boothby played well in a good league, so there’s some hope there. And for comparisons sake, Josh Warren only had 1 other D1 offer to St. Francis PA, and he had a solid career.

As for the incoming guys, I assumed Gray might be our best “get” this year.

Date: April 14, 2020 08:51PM

Another fairly late recruit, Darius Ervin, a 5’8” PG from New England Prep power Northfield Mount Hermon. Sure he’s short, but he’s got a lot of skill and is an excellent shooter (over 50% from 3 and over 90% on his free throws. Ervin, along with incoming shooting guard Chris Manon, was a 2nd team all-NEPSAC player in the top division (for context, the 1st team has kids going to Kentucky and Minnesota).

Suddenly the incoming class is looking ok. We’re not recruiting at the level of Harvard and Yale, but not bad.

Date: April 15, 2020 01:57PM

I should never be taller than a basketball player not named Muggsy Bogues.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dsl1.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2020 07:38PM

scoop85
Another fairly late recruit, Darius Ervin, a 5’8” PG from New England Prep power Northfield Mount Hermon. Sure he’s short, but he’s got a lot of skill and is an excellent shooter (over 50% from 3 and over 90% on his free throws. Ervin, along with incoming shooting guard Chris Manon, was a 2nd team all-NEPSAC player in the top division (for context, the 1st team has kids going to Kentucky and Minnesota).

Suddenly the incoming class is looking ok. We’re not recruiting at the level of Harvard and Yale, but not bad.

Great catch on Ervin, that makes three all-NEPSAC recruits (Gray made the team at the second highest level). Still not crazy about the offer sheets, but six guys really helps does help the odds.

I wonder if Earl knows/suspects that some guys aren't returning -- six recruits means a roster of 19(!) for next season.

Date: April 19, 2020 08:57PM

mountainred
scoop85

Great catch on Ervin, that makes three all-NEPSAC recruits (Gray made the team at the second highest level). Still not crazy about the offer sheets, but six guys really helps does help the odds.

I wonder if Earl knows/suspects that some guys aren't returning -- six recruits means a roster of 19(!) for next season.

while 19 is a lot, I don’t think it’s unprecedented. And a couple of those guys like Samberg and Uzoka are, most likely, just practice players, TBH.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2020 02:06AM

mountainred

10.3 ppg lead his team? Were they exceptionally low-scoring as a whole?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2020 01:41PM

abmarks
10.3 ppg lead his team? Were they exceptionally low-scoring as a whole?
It's the system.

You walked into this one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login