Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Yale Lacrosse

Posted by rss77 
Cornell-Yale Lacrosse
Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2019 03:33PM

Would like to see us create a new thread for each game. The Cornell lacrosse thread is getting way too long.

Re: Cornell-Yale Lacrosse
Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 03:50PM

Strongly agree. Starting now.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 03:51PM

TimV
Strongly agree. Starting now.
Got your one win today, Tim. I want more.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2019 04:09PM

I feel SPO much better.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: March 11, 2019 12:06PM

Since this game is on ESPNNEWS, does that mean that it will not be available on ESPN+ ?

Date: March 11, 2019 12:12PM

nshapiro
Since this game is on ESPNNEWS, does that mean that it will not be available on ESPN+ ?
ESPN+ schedule shows the game at 1pm Saturday.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 11, 2019 12:12PM

if its on espnnews then it stream anyway, which means more people can see it

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: March 11, 2019 12:20PM

before I had ESPN+, when I tried to stream ESPNNEWS, it wanted to verify that I received that channel through my cable company, which I don't, so I couldn't watch it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2019 12:28PM

upprdeck
if its on espnnews then it stream anyway, which means more people can see it
And can return to watch it later in the year.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2019 06:35PM

Anyone know details about Saturday's game?

Inside Lacrosse mentioned it was at noon, but the y'all web site says 1:00. I assume the latter is authoritative.

But what about parking? Traffic? Eating before or at the game?

The web site say it's selling tickets, although my browser seems unable to open the link. What about Cornell for tickets? Is there a Cornell section?

Date: March 11, 2019 09:34PM

Swampy
Anyone know details about Saturday's game?

Inside Lacrosse mentioned it was at noon, but the y'all web site says 1:00. I assume the latter is authoritative.

But what about parking? Traffic? Eating before or at the game?

The web site say it's selling tickets, although my browser seems unable to open the link. What about Cornell for tickets? Is there a Cornell section?

Reese Stadium holds 3,000 people. In games this year, it drew:
1274 UMass
1980 Villanova
0 Umass (that's what box score said)

As for Cornell this week and the odds we'll sell out the place: a) This is Yale's biggest game since Harvard-Yale lax is at Harvard, and Harvard sucks beyond the usual way, Harvard being 2-3 this year. (H's signature win so far, ah, they don't have one unless beating Providence or Hartford counts.) b) Yale is on vacation March 8-March 25 so if Yale students were what filled the stands, it'll be a little thin on attendance, I hope.

Reese Stadium is near Yale Bowl. I recall there being adequate parking at the field and nearby. Parking map and location relative to Yale Bowl etcetera: [www.yalebulldogs.com]

The area around the Yale sports complex is aging-Connecticut-semi-suburban, so no spectacular food joints are nearby. The most common New Haven dining for visiting Cornellians is Pepe's Pizzeria, 157 Wooster Street, which runs 11 am - 10 pm and is a 10-15 minute drive from the field. Also, the close-in parking by Reese allows for tailgating. it will be 50 degrees and partly sunny, so tailgating is a good option.

Yale lacrosse site says it's 1 p.m. star. So does Cornell's. I wish it were noon. I'm going to Ithaca for the hockey games Friday and Saturday and planning a quick jaunt to New Haven for the lacrosse match. The last 2 at-Yale games ran 2:19, 2:12, so that means back on the road by 3:30 and the drive is 4:32 (legal speeds) / 255 miles, so one arrives at Lynah in time for the midpoint of period 2.

If anyone is interested in riding with me (or driving if you have a nicer vehicle), drop me a private message.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 10:22AM by billhoward.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 12, 2019 12:32PM

Going to Ithaca from someplace around south Jersey for a hockey best of three series and, between games, making a side round trip to New Haven for lacrosse???

You, sir, are a hero to me now. rockrockrock

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.127.---)
Date: March 12, 2019 02:59PM

billhoward
Reese Stadium is near Yale Bowl. I recall there being adequate parking at the field and nearby. Parking map and location relative to Yale Bowl etcetera: [www.yalebulldogs.com]

The area around the Yale sports complex is aging-Connecticut-semi-suburban, so no spectacular food joints are nearby. The most common New Haven dining for visiting Cornellians is Pepe's Pizzeria, 157 Wooster Street, which runs 11 am - 10 pm and is a 10-15 minute drive from the field. Also, the close-in parking by Reese allows for tailgating. it will be 50 degrees and partly sunny, so tailgating is a good option.

Yale lacrosse site says it's 1 p.m. star. So does Cornell's. I wish it were noon. I'm going to Ithaca for the hockey games Friday and Saturday and planning a quick jaunt to New Haven for the lacrosse match. The last 2 at-Yale games ran 2:19, 2:12, so that means back on the road by 3:30 and the drive is 4:32 (legal speeds) / 255 miles, so one arrives at Lynah in time for the midpoint of period 2.

If anyone is interested in riding with me (or driving if you have a nicer vehicle), drop me a private message.
As much as I admire your dedication by driving from NJ up to Ithaca on Friday, then to New Haven and back to Ithaca on Saturday, I have to offer a dissenting opinion on your dining recommendation. Many Cornellians prefer dining at Modern Apizza at 874 State Street, which is also about a 15-minute ride from the Yale sports complex. Others, I'm sure, prefer Sally's Apizza, which is on the same block as Pepe's.
As for the attendance at the game, even with Yale on vacation there will be a big crowd. Connecticut has become a big lacrosse state. I know kids, for example, whose families attend the Lax Final Four every year. But even so, I'm sure tickets will be available at the gate, and there's plenty of standing room, too.

Date: March 12, 2019 03:18PM

dbilmes
As much as I admire your dedication by driving from NJ up to Ithaca on Friday, then to New Haven and back to Ithaca on Saturday, I have to offer a dissenting opinion on your dining recommendation. Many Cornellians prefer dining at Modern Apizza at 874 State Street, which is also about a 15-minute ride from the Yale sports complex. Others, I'm sure, prefer Sally's Apizza, which is on the same block as Pepe's.
Those of us who grew up in New Haven know that there is only one place in town for apizza: Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana.

Date: March 13, 2019 10:38AM

I've been meaning to try Modern. And I was waiting for your blast, or someone else's. I meant to see Pepe's, Modern and all the other fabulous places of New Haven. When I was in Chicago for the auto show last month, I endured two deep-dish pizza dinners. Now, good deep dish pizza can be really good. But our modern deity, since He's concerned about excess carbs, does not want his children heading down the wrong path.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2019 01:01PM

Excited to win a game where we lose very face off!

Date: March 16, 2019 01:29PM

Anyone know where we can get those sharp Nike Cornell lax hoodies that the team wears?

Date: March 16, 2019 02:06PM

Defense doubling much too quickly and leaving Yalies wide open. Exactly what wasn't done in the ILT last year.

Date: March 16, 2019 02:17PM

Al DeFlorio
Defense doubling much too quickly and leaving Yalies wide open. Exactly what wasn't done in the ILT last year.

I don't mind the double but the D need to locate and slide to their hot reads. It's not easy, for sure. That last goal came off a set play by the Eli coach.

Date: March 16, 2019 02:43PM

mike1960
Al DeFlorio

I don't mind the double but the D need to locate and slide to their hot reads. It's not easy, for sure. That last goal came off a set play by the Eli coach.
Doubling without reason to is dumb. A smart team will kill you and Yale is a smart team.

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2019 02:47PM

Defense getting gassed-a potent offensive team with possessions is a formula for success. Faceoffs truly this team's kryptonite-couldn't believe Cornell ranked 72 out of 73 in D 1 on faceoffs.

Date: March 16, 2019 02:48PM

Al DeFlorio
mike1960
Al DeFlorio

Doubling without reason to is dumb. A smart team will kill you and Yale is a smart team.

Yale doubles more than Cornell. They are playing great defense today.

Date: March 16, 2019 02:50PM

rss77
Defense getting gassed-a potent offensive team with possessions is a formula for success. Faceoffs truly this team's kryptonite-couldn't believe Cornell ranked 72 out of 73 in D 1 on faceoffs.

Yes. With the problems at face off, the defense had to win the game today. It is a big ask.

Date: March 16, 2019 03:38PM

mike1960
Al DeFlorio
mike1960
Al DeFlorio

Yale doubles more than Cornell.
Not what I saw today. They doubled Teat when he was in no position to pass inside.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 04:02PM

Cornell got to within 4-3 before Yale pulled away for good winning 16-11.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 06:01PM

i thought played fine.. first game all yr where we didnt bury the inside chances. the yale goalie much way more clutch saves than irlan and thats the game.. we ober came the face off issues enough to stay in the game but too many soft goals against a good team and too many pt blanks saves for yale.

Date: March 16, 2019 06:11PM

upprdeck
i thought played fine.. first game all yr where we didnt bury the inside chances. the yale goalie much way more clutch saves than irlan and thats the game.. we ober came the face off issues enough to stay in the game but too many soft goals against a good team and too many pt blanks saves for yale.

Totally agree. Starr stood on his head in the 1st quarter, and this influenced the entire game as we were digging ourselves out of the hole and too often looking for perfect shots he wouldn’t stop.

However I would add that we made way too many stupid mistakes and unforced turnovers. Guys took their eyes off the ball, made shitty passes, etc.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2019 09:38PM

losing faceoffs by 18 and the game by 5 is wild. criticize the d and the goalie all you want but what's holding this team back from greatness is at the x.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2019 09:58PM

rss77

Part of that is because they've faced four of the five top faceoff guys in the country. But only part. They way overused Racimovich today. Would have liked to see them change up more.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:22PM

TimV
rss77

Part of that is because they've faced four of the five top faceoff guys in the country. But only part. They way overused Racimovich today. Would have liked to see them change up more.

Unfortunately nobody else has stepped up. Has Graham won a single FO yet? Luca has done better but not particularly good. I don’t think the other 2 FOGOs on the roster have played in a game yet.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:25PM

upprdeck

I agree. I'm actually encouraged by how they played today, as opposed to the game against Penn State. We can beat this Yale team, but we'll have to play our best game to do it.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2019 10:36AM

Swampy
TimV
rss77

Unfortunately nobody else has stepped up. Has Graham won a single FO yet? Luca has done better but not particularly good. I don’t think the other 2 FOGOs on the roster have played in a game yet.

Yes. He beat a good Albany FOGO cleanly twice and scored a breakaway goal on the first one. I still maintain that playing others in spots pays off by changing styles, avoiding fatigue and diminishing wear and tear on your guys. If we're losing 70% anyway we don't have have have much to lose. You don't gain experience from the bench so the inexperience factor is self-perpetuating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2019 02:15PM by TimV.

Date: March 17, 2019 03:39PM

TimV
Swampy
TimV
rss77

Yes. He beat a good Albany FOGO cleanly twice and scored a breakaway goal on the first one. I still maintain that playing others in spots pays off by changing styles, avoiding fatigue and diminishing wear and tear on your guys. If we're losing 70% anyway we don't have have have much to lose. You don't gain experience from the bench so the inexperience factor is self-perpetuating.

Totally agree. And thanks for reminding about Graham & the Albany game.

I had never seen T.D. play until yesterday. After seeing him, I'd say that in addition to his ability to control the ball on the face-off itself, his ability to move with the ball after gaining possession is every bit as important to how good he is. Very impressive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login