Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Football 2019

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Cornell Football 2019
Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: September 16, 2019 05:00PM

CAS
Would you be optimistic about the coming wrestling season if you had a head coach entering his 7th season with a 15-45 record (& no improvement in record from year 1 to year 6)?
i'm not optimistic about the football season but i it's exhausting to check in every day to see a new comment and every time it's the exact same complaints - the phrasing barely changes. there's never anything interesting like a roster analysis or thoughts about what could be improved. just a lot of "this should be better and yet it isn't and i'm mad" with bonus garment rending about how andy noel doesn't care about football, which is pretty unlikely.

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-174-225-16.myvzw.com)
Date: September 16, 2019 05:22PM

That’s the point. It appears nothing is being done to improve results (re funding, staffing, facilities, player experience, game day atmosphere). Dunno whether Andy cares, but it’s indisputable that during his tenure as AD, Cornell football has turned from a winning program into an Ivy doormat. Have you heard Andy’s plan to turn things around?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 05:26PM by CAS.

Date: September 16, 2019 05:36PM

CAS
That’s the point. It appears nothing is being done to improve results (re funding, staffing, facilities, player experience, game day atmosphere). Dunno whether Andy cares, but it’s indisputable that during his tenure as AD, Cornell football has turned from a winning program into an Ivy doormat. Have you heard Andy’s plan to turn things around?
nope. but i've heard 400 times, like it was being submitted by a bot, that he lacks one. it's like i'm waiting for a trim in hell's barbershop.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2019 06:36PM

ugarte
CAS
nope. but i've heard 400 times, like it was being submitted by a bot, that he lacks one. it's like i'm waiting for a trim in hell's barbershop.

Hey I predict an Ivy League Football Championship this season....10-0 Bâby!!! How's that for optimistic. :-D

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2019 08:42PM

Anyone else notice that games will no longer be broadcast over the air or online with WHCU? WHCU is currently running a notice stating that despite having had the games for a decade or so they are no longer able to air them because of the ESPN contract. I wonder if this will impact hockey as well. I doubt the remaining local football supporters who rely on the radio broadcast are going to be running ESPN+ on their Zenith tv set. Quite disappointing if Cornell athletics will no longer have a free listening option.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 08:43PM by Bahnstorm.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: September 17, 2019 01:45PM

Bahnstorm
Anyone else notice that games will no longer be broadcast over the air or online with WHCU? WHCU is currently running a notice stating that despite having had the games for a decade or so they are no longer able to air them because of the ESPN contract. I wonder if this will impact hockey as well. I doubt the remaining local football supporters who rely on the radio broadcast are going to be running ESPN+ on their Zenith tv set. Quite disappointing if Cornell athletics will no longer have a free listening option.
i just asked - cornell hockey is still on whcu, everything else is exclusively espn+.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: September 17, 2019 04:00PM

espn+ is a video broadcast.. why would that effect the radio side?

does this mean no Lax anymore too on the radio?

syracuse has a full ESPN+ presence. but they still have everything on the radio side available.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 04:03PM by upprdeck.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: September 17, 2019 05:12PM

It looks like other Ivy schools (well, at least the two I bothered to check) also have radio broadcasts listed for their games. Did Cornell football have separate announcers for its radio and ESPN+ broadcasts? I wonder if that was the issue, as hockey does have two sets of announcers.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 06:49PM

a school with billions of endowment couldnt afford to hire a few people to do broadcasts for the radio.. or they wouldnt send the espn+ side to the radio stream

there are not a ton of die hard football fans left but there still a group that goes and tailgates and might want a radio signal, or god forbid want to listen on the road in a car

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 10:26PM

here's what cornell told me. no espn audio stream.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 11:56PM

upprdeck
there are not a ton of die hard football fans left
I have been wondering about this since, literally, the 80s. I can absolutely understand a large and fervent football fanbase going all the way through the 1940s when we were still beating nationally ranked B10 teams. So let's be generous and say people up to 1939 births have some business being Cornell football fans.

And obviously there are the players themselves and their families who continue to dredge the tradition along. And since they disproportionately go into finance and other rapey-lucrative professions they are bound to have undue influence on the university through their glory days drooling donations.

But. We are now to the point where the youngest not-literally-blood-related fan is 80. Those people must have been dying off like literate Republicans for the last few decades. How the fuck are there any left to (a) care and (b) give $$, which is the sole reason the university would care?

I've been expecting the university's gaping and imbecilic maw to pivot from football to hockey since the 1990s and it still hasn't happened. Why? Will the Ivies need to do the obvious and drop football to D3 before we (they) see it?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 11:57PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 06:53AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
I have been wondering about this since, literally, the 80s. I can absolutely understand a large and fervent football fanbase going all the way through the 1940s when we were still beating nationally ranked B10 teams. So let's be generous and say people up to 1939 births have some business being Cornell football fans./quote]
Your cutoff date is too soon. Ivy football was competitive at the D1 level at least into the 70s. Yale won the Lambert Trophy in 1960, Dartmouth in 1965 and 1970, Marinaro should have been given the Heisman in 1971.

Date: September 18, 2019 06:57AM

Trotsky
upprdeck
I have been wondering about this since, literally, the 80s. I can absolutely understand a large and fervent football fanbase going all the way through the 1940s when we were still beating nationally ranked B10 teams. So let's be generous and say people up to 1939 births have some business being Cornell football fans.

And obviously there are the players themselves and their families who continue to dredge the tradition along. And since they disproportionately go into finance and other rapey-lucrative professions they are bound to have undue influence on the university through their glory days drooling donations.

But. We are now to the point where the youngest not-literally-blood-related fan is 80. Those people must have been dying off like literate Republicans for the last few decades. How the fuck are there any left to (a) care and (b) give $$, which is the sole reason the university would care?

I've been expecting the university's gaping and imbecilic maw to pivot from football to hockey since the 1990s and it still hasn't happened. Why? Will the Ivies need to do the obvious and drop football to D3 before we (they) see it?

Doubtful they ever drop to D3. And you're discounting the fans and alumni supporters that followed Cornell during the successful Marinaro and Maxie Baughan and Jim Hofher era years.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 08:27AM

Trotsky
We're in the Football Championship Division, nee Division 1-A. It is the downsized D1 without dropping to D3. It has a playoff and a chance to win an NCAA national championship, as 10-0 Princeton might have come close to last year were it not for the Ivy presidents not wanting this one sport to have a post-season championship playoff. A lot of like-Cornell schools are there: Colgate, Georgetown, Lafayette, Lehigh, Villanova, and the eight Ivies.

129 schools in FCS: Abilene Christian, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Albany, Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Austin Peay, Bethune-Cookman, Brown, Bryant, Bucknell, Butler, Cal Poly, Campbell, Central Arkansas, Central Connecticut, Charleston Southern, Chattanooga, The Citadel, Colgate, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Davidson, Dayton, Delaware, Delaware State, Drake, Duquesne, East Tennessee State, Eastern Illinois, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Washington, Elon, Florida A&M, Fordham, Furman, Gardner-Webb, Georgetown, Grambling State, Hampton, Harvard, Holy Cross, Houston Baptist, Howard, Idaho, Idaho State, Illinois State, Incarnate Word, Indiana State, Jackson State, Jacksonville, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Kennesaw State, Lafayette, Lamar, Lehigh, Maine, Marist, McNeese State, Mercer, Mississippi Valley State, Missouri State, Monmouth, Montana, Montana State, Morehead State, Morgan State, Murray State, New Hampshire, Nicholls, Norfolk State, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Northern Iowa, Northwestern State, Penn, Portland State, Prairie View A&M, Presbyterian, Princeton, Rhode Island, Richmond, Robert Morris, Sacramento State, Sacred Heart, Saint Francis, Sam Houston State, Samford, San Diego, South Carolina State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Southeast Missouri State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern, Southern Illinois, Southern Utah, Stephen F. Austin, Stetson, Stony Brook, Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech, Texas Southern, Towson, UC Davis, UT Martin, Valparaiso, Villanova, VMI, Wagner, Weber State, Western Carolina, Western Illinois, William & Mary, Wofford, Yale, Youngstown State.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: September 18, 2019 09:48AM

upprdeck
there are not a ton of die hard football fans left but there still a group that goes and tailgates and might want a radio signal, or god forbid want to listen on the road in a car

Indeed, the reach of WHCU's signal can be staggering. I've caught it on the other side of the Greens on skiing trips from CT to VT.

What constitutes a "die hard" football fan? I was a bandie, so I have more than a casual interest. And I definitely would make an effort to catch a potential championship-clinching game. Of course that hasn't been a concern for about 19 years now…

Ah, the 2000 Ivy Bowl: snow/sleet all over the bleachers; an utter collapse by us; and Andy Noel, at midfield, over the PA, and with most hearty congratulations, gleefully handing Penn the championship trophy!

Great memories. At least I was drunk. Good damn thing we tied Harvard and beat Brown that weekend.

Date: September 18, 2019 10:00AM

I kinda understand some of the logic behind no radio. money drives everything. But it also makes several assumptions.. the idea that people will pay for ESPN+, which many wont. It also assumes people have smart phones, which many dontm if they want t listen while at a game is just dumb. you cant stream a 3 hr game on a phone and have any phone battery left. also there are people at every hockey game trying to listen to bball, that wont happen any more. people in cars are done, people at home listening are done.

ESPN+ is great if you want to watch or are living across the country. WHCU had a stream for listening that is gone too.

Its just a short sighted idea where new is always better.

we are only talking about a few sports that were on the radio.

Date: September 18, 2019 10:09AM

upprdeck
I kinda understand some of the logic behind no radio. money drives everything. But it also makes several assumptions.. the idea that people will pay for ESPN+, which many wont. It also assumes people have smart phones, which many dontm if they want t listen while at a game is just dumb. you cant stream a 3 hr game on a phone and have any phone battery left. also there are people at every hockey game trying to listen to bball, that wont happen any more. people in cars are done, people at home listening are done.

ESPN+ is great if you want to watch or are living across the country. WHCU had a stream for listening that is gone too.

Its just a short sighted idea where new is always better.

we are only talking about a few sports that were on the radio.
Agree completely. Many times I'd go to WHCU whem the video feed was broken. Also when the team hosting Cornell didn't have a webcast.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2019 10:14AM

upprdeck
a school with billions of endowment couldnt afford to hire a few people to do broadcasts for the radio.. or they wouldnt send the espn+ side to the radio stream

Has it really been that long since the last time we went over how endowments work?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Cornell Football 2019 - Marist roll call
Date: September 18, 2019 10:16AM

At Marist Saturday, gametime 12 noon, weather forecast for sunny/partly cloudy and low 80s. Tickets are $10. The stadium seats 5,000 plus apparently lawn seating. There are details at goredfoxes.com which URL I mis-ready.

We go into the game and might emerge from the game unbeaten, something harder to claim later in 2019.

Bill Howard +1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 10:19AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
upprdeck
Your cutoff date is too soon. Ivy football was competitive at the D1 level at least into the 70s. Yale won the Lambert Trophy in 1960, Dartmouth in 1965 and 1970, Marinaro should have been given the Heisman in 1971.
That's fair. After all, Doonesbury started as a joke about how Yalies gave a shit about Brian Dowling and that was around 1968.

Let's be super generous then and move the cut to 1981, the year the Ivies were kicked out of D1-A for not admitting the actual functional morons who eventually graduate from Duke and Stanford instead. If 1970 births are the standard we still have about 20 years of cold demography to go before the mouthbreathers cease to attract Cornell's gold-encrusted attention.

And by then the Power Five will be a fully professional Premier League and Cornell may actually be competitive at the children's table.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2019 10:21AM by Trotsky.

Date: September 18, 2019 10:20AM

Cornell pre-game story: [cornellbigred.com]

And from Marist:
Marist College
Tailgating for Marist Football [goredfoxes.com]

The following tailgating policy is in effect to ensure a safe and enjoyable tailgating experience for our fans. The Marist College Athletics Department encourages fans to arrive early, tailgate, and enjoy Marist football.

Tailgating Policy

Tailgating is limited to the McCann/Sheahan parking lot and is NOT permitted in the Donnelly parking lot. Tailgating spaces are limited. Chairs, tables, tents, etc. must be confined to a small area around your vehicle. Tailgating will only be permitted during pre-game and post-game. There is no re-entry since restroom facilities are now available inside the stadium.

All alcoholic beverages must be consumed from plastic/paper cups. No glass containers, cans, funnels or similar devices will be allowed. Kegs, drinking games and/or mass consumption of alcohol are prohibited. Underage drinking is not permitted; all local and state laws must be obeyed.

The Student Code of Conduct prohibits students from Tailgating at any time, even if they are over 21 years of age. Consumption of Alcohol and/or possession of an open container is not permitted on the grounds of the campus without prior approval of the Vice-President of Student Affairs.

All others are subject to rules and regulations set forth by Marist College. Violations of any of these policies will result in removal from the campus and a ban from the tailgating area.

Marist College reserves the right to restrict tailgating at its sole discretion.
Students can't tailgate? I do recall when our son toured Marist the student tour guides devoted a couple minutes to what could happen if you're caught drinking. On the plus side, when the Marist women made the basketball NCAAs a decade ago, Marist chartered a plane for the one-and-done and ten bucks, or something nominal, got a flight to the game, ground transportation, a ticket, and a Red Foxes tee. Probably so when the cameras panned the student section, there were Marist students to show.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2019 12:02PM by billhoward.

Date: September 18, 2019 10:22AM

Beeeej
upprdeck
Has it really been that long since the last time we went over how endowments work?
I've been concerned in the past that eLynah doesn't have a sarcasm font. I'm coming to believe it's self-embedded.

Date: September 18, 2019 10:23AM

billhoward
Beeeej
upprdeck
I've been concerned in the past that eLynah doesn't have a sarcasm font. I'm coming to believe it's self-embedded.
The sarcasm font at eLynah is plain text.

Date: September 18, 2019 10:23AM

Dartmouth made the NCAA top 20 polls circa 1970, maybe got as high as 15th. In D1 football.

Date: September 18, 2019 10:24AM

Trotsky
billhoward
Beeeej
upprdeck
The sarcasm font at eLynah is plain text.
Happy to be the setup guy. Good one, twice over.

Date: September 18, 2019 12:37PM

I like to think I know how it works and what budgets can get used for this as part of the job.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 02:19PM

billhoward
Cornell pre-game story: [cornellbigred.com]

And from Marist:
Marist College
Tailgating for Marist Football [goredfoxes.com]

The following tailgating policy is in effect to ensure a safe and enjoyable tailgating experience for our fans. The Marist College Athletics Department encourages fans to arrive early, tailgate, and enjoy Marist football.

Tailgating Policy

Tailgating is limited to the McCann/Sheahan parking lot and is NOT permitted in the Donnelly parking lot. Tailgating spaces are limited. Chairs, tables, tents, etc. must be confined to a small area around your vehicle. Tailgating will only be permitted during pre-game and post-game. There is no re-entry since restroom facilities are now available inside the stadium.

All alcoholic beverages must be consumed from plastic/paper cups. No glass containers, cans, funnels or similar devices will be allowed. Kegs, drinking games and/or mass consumption of alcohol are prohibited. Underage drinking is not permitted; all local and state laws must be obeyed.

The Student Code of Conduct prohibits students from Tailgating at any time, even if they are over 21 years of age. Consumption of Alcohol and/or possession of an open container is not permitted on the grounds of the campus without prior approval of the Vice-President of Student Affairs.

All others are subject to rules and regulations set forth by Marist College. Violations of any of these policies will result in removal from the campus and a ban from the tailgating area.

Marist College reserves the right to restrict tailgating at its sole discretion.
Students can't tailgate? I do recall when our son toured Marist the student tour guides devoted a couple minutes to what could happen if you're caught drinking. On the plus side, when the Marist women made the basketball NCAAs a decade ago, Marist chartered a plane for the one-and-done and ten bucks, or something nominal, got a flight to the game, ground transportation, a ticket, and a Red Foxes tee. Probably so when the cameras panned the student section, there were Marist students to show.

But Marist's endowment must be worth billion$. Not a fair comparison.

Date: September 18, 2019 07:44PM

Swampy
But Marist's endowment must be worth billion$. Not a fair comparison.
Marist's 440 acres on the Hudson must count for some value. (Cornell has 745 acres in Ithaca.) Note also Marist has a Cornell Boathouse (and a Marist Boathouse).

Date: September 18, 2019 08:01PM

[www.marist.edu]

Date: September 18, 2019 09:55PM

Al DeFlorio
[www.marist.edu]
Great article. Thank you!

Cornell, the University of California, the University of Washington, and the University of Wisconsin each came to have boathouses on Regatta Row.

Wow!

Vintage footage.

Cornell 49.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2019 10:02PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2019 10:42PM

Posted by: Chris H82 (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 11:12PM

If you want to get a feel for the atmosphere around the IRA in the 30s, read "the Boys in the Boat", by Daniel James Brown. It's great story, even though Cornell only gets a few mentions.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2019 11:51PM

Chris H82
If you want to get a feel for the atmosphere around the IRA in the 30s, read "the Boys in the Boat", by Daniel James Brown. It's great story, even though Cornell only gets a few mentions.
Most of you probably know the history, but Wikipedia's article on Charles Courtney gives a thorough history of Cornell rowing up to 1920. [en.wikipedia.org] The concluding section on his legacy points out how his influence is still felt today across college athletics.

Date: September 19, 2019 09:02AM

David Harding
Chris H82
Most of you probably know the history, but Wikipedia's article on Charles Courtney gives a thorough history of Cornell rowing up to 1920. [en.wikipedia.org] The concluding section on his legacy points out how his influence is still felt today across college athletics.

From the article:

Fans were sometimes known to wager on the results.

This is quite possibly the funniest line I've read in any story this year.

I would imagine those flat beds full of students were essentially about three things, none of which were rowing.

Date: September 19, 2019 10:14AM

Trotsky

Fans were sometimes known to wager on the results.
This is quite possibly the funniest line I've read in any story this year. I would imagine those flat beds full of students were essentially about three things, none of which were rowing.
When The Times can't get a fact sourced from two persons, it turns to droll humor.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2019 10:56AM

Early regatta on Cayuga Lake and train loading in downtown Ithaca.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 11:09AM

no post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2019 11:12AM by TimV.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 11:15AM

Trotsky
upprdeck

So...you don't feel this any more?bolt

Date: September 19, 2019 11:39AM

Looks like Slope Day, with Fish not Phish.

Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: September 19, 2019 02:00PM

Marist football is no powerhouse - Cornell is a 14-point favorite. The following Saturday vs Yale will be a truer test.

Date: September 19, 2019 02:04PM

CAS
Marist football is no powerhouse - Cornell is a 14-point favorite. The following Saturday vs Yale will be a truer test.

I'm counting Marist as one a win in Cornell's 3 or 4 win season, they should win this easily.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2019 08:39PM

George64
Early regatta on Cayuga Lake and train loading in downtown Ithaca.
. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Date: September 20, 2019 02:29PM

We may be picked for seventh. But savor our standing before the Marist 2019 opener when you search on "cornell football." Technically it's T-1.

Date: September 20, 2019 03:03PM

billhoward
We may be picked for seventh. But savor our standing before the Marist 2019 opener when you search on "cornell football." Technically it's T-1.
"Match score" only shown at "full time"?

The Ivies never did shake Transatlantic English.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2019 03:10PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 20, 2019 07:23PM

Barely five minutes in, Penn leads sprint football by two touchdowns. Cornell just don't do football.

26-0 late first

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2019 07:49PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: September 24, 2019 05:50PM

David Harding
From a Sun season preview.
Archer
“[We’re] really [reinventing] the way we’re doing things: We’re running a different scheme on offense, we’re on a different defense. The theme is going to be like a hybrid warfare approach, right? So conventional methods mixed with unconventional methods … attacking thought processes and beliefs, while you’re also attacking the weaknesses where [opponents] line up.”

“I felt like my approach was ‘Hey, I’m going to recruit the best players, I’m gonna develop them, I’m gonna run really sound schemes, and we’re gonna beat people. And looking back on it, I don’t think I gave us a good enough of a chance, schematically. And so trying to really open up the bag of tricks, if you will, and be really creative with what we’re doing.”

“I don’t think I had enough schematic answers for us late in the season. Right, we finished in 2017, 0-3, 2018 finished 0-4. I think once we put too much stuff on film, I didn’t give our team enough of a chance. I didn’t have a good curveball … off my fastball.”
Here's a paragraph from a NY Times article about Ivy League week one. Isn't Surace saying the complete opposite of Archer's comments above?

"Bob Surace, who is in his 10th season as Princeton’s coach, said that in his early years he would use the extra time during the summer to devise intricate schemes, but instead ended up overwhelming his players, as intelligent as they might be. Now, the focus is on getting his players bigger, stronger and faster."

Date: September 24, 2019 08:30PM

I guess we'll see.

If we're not competing physically we need to compensate with play design.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 08:31PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 27, 2019 01:07PM

Date: September 28, 2019 01:30PM

First possession at Yale yields a false start, an illegal formation...and no first downs.

D does well inside the five, but finds themselves there too often. 3-0 Yale

Date: September 28, 2019 03:05PM

88-yard schematic pass puts Cornell ahead 10-3. Can this last?

Not for long. Bonehead play call and awful pass result in an INT and tie game. Sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2019 03:12PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2019 04:03PM

Cornell just burned a timeout after the clock was stopped after another timeout. Are you kidding me?

Date: September 28, 2019 04:05PM

scoop85
Cornell just burned a timeout after the clock was stopped after another timeout. Are you kidding me?

You can't make this stuff up. Now 20-10 Yale after a FG. :`-(

Date: September 28, 2019 04:06PM

Surely one of the four underclass quarterbacks is able to pass the football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2019 04:08PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: September 28, 2019 04:10PM

Al DeFlorio

One would hope.

Date: September 28, 2019 04:12PM

Al DeFlorio

Remember our head coach in his infinite wisdom decided to make his OC also the QB coach, despite the fact he never played the position before in college, or coached the position before.

Date: September 28, 2019 04:21PM

Insides kicking team needs work.

Date: September 28, 2019 04:27PM

OK staying positive, Cornell goes 9-1 after their 27-10 loss to Yale. :-D

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 28, 2019 04:48PM

Ken711
OK staying positive, Cornell goes 9-1 after their 27-10 loss to Yale. :-D

I want some of what you're smoking.

Date: September 28, 2019 07:03PM

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Heading into the final quarter tied at 10-10, Cornell felt like it had the momentum to topple preseason Ivy League favorite Yale on the road for the first time in a decade. The final 15 minutes, however, belonged to the opportunistic Bulldogs in a 27-16 victory over the Big Red on Saturday afternoon at the Yale Bowl.

“We got to finish,” said Archer. “Kind of like the last two years seasonally … We just got to be able to finish and put four quarters together.”

Looks like the same script as seasons past. ;-)

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2019 07:22PM

This has nothing to do with the football game itself, but I thought I'd post it here. I didn't go to the game, but was in the area and was planning on meeting with a friend who is a band alum after the game to hear the band's post-game concert. The band held its post-game concert right outside the stadium, but inside the perimeter of the stadium. As I started to walk through the gate, I was stopped by a security guy who told me I couldn't enter the stadium unless I had an unused game ticket. It turns out there's no re-entry if you leave during the game (a policy put in place to keep drunk tailgaters from coming back into the stands). I pointed out that the game was over, and that I just wanted to go inside for the band concert, which was taking place 30 yards away. But he held his ground and even called his supervisor over to make sure I got the message. A pair of band parents weren't allowed inside the gate either, and neither was the grandmother of a Cornell football player. Is it just me, or is it idiotic not to let people into the stadium perimeter AFTER the game for a post-game concert. I was able to see most of the band and hear the concert, of course, but it was annoying to have to do so through the bars of the fence instead of joining the other alumns standing next to the band, including my friend. Since Yale was letting kids run around on the field for 30 minutes after the game, it's not like they were trying to clear everybody out as quickly as possible.

Posted by: rmandel (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2019 07:26PM

Here is the start of the second paragraph on the Athletics department’s website. Someone needs to learn that you return interceptions for touchdowns.

“Yale took advantage of four Big Red turnovers, including a touchdown return for an interception,...”
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2019 07:30PM by rmandel.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2019 07:47AM

In year 7 of the Archer era, Cornell is now 11-32 in Ivy play, & losers of their last 5 Ivy games.

Date: September 29, 2019 09:18AM

Al DeFlorio
All in all, it would have been a moral victory had the scored ended 20-16 Yale. Giving up a TD on that onsides kick. Ouch.

Date: September 29, 2019 09:24AM

Need more than moral victories at this stage. Anyone see evidence of “hybrid warfare”?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-242-143.myvzw.com)
Date: September 29, 2019 12:00PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
All in all, it would have been a moral victory had the scored ended 20-16 Yale. Giving up a TD on that onsides kick. Ouch.

Running that back for the score was bad football.

Date: September 29, 2019 12:45PM

CAS
Need more than moral victories at this stage. Anyone see evidence of “hybrid warfare”?
Somebody cut off a Prius exiting Lot D after the game. That's about it.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2019 02:32PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
That last one felt like an ENG.

Date: September 29, 2019 03:05PM

billhoward
CAS
Somebody cut off a Prius exiting Lot D after the game. That's about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2019 03:07PM by Ken711.

Posted by: Swampy (172.98.93.---)
Date: September 29, 2019 06:34PM

rmandel
Here is the start of the second paragraph on the Athletics department’s website. Someone needs to learn that you return interceptions for touchdowns.

“Yale took advantage of four Big Red turnovers, including a touchdown return for an interception,...”

Do you wonder why we suck so much at football? If this were the Daily Sun or WHCU, one could write it off as someone learning their trade and unfamiliar with sport they're discussing. But this is the freakin Athletics department, whose staff one would assume is supposed to know about ... well, athletics. If our "experts" are so clueless about football, how on earth would anyone imagine that our abysmal record in football over the past two decades is an accident?

Demand Big Structural Change!

Date: September 29, 2019 06:44PM

Moral victory: Prius didn't catch fire.

Date: September 29, 2019 09:01PM

Swampy
Do you wonder why we suck so much at football?

No.

It's why Brown sucks at hockey. The school does not care, so it does not make the substantive and illicit investments needed to win.

Barring some sort of metaphysical adjustment of Cornell Being, our football will always suck. The arbitrary "base the prestige of your multi-billion dollar research university on the athletic achievements of kids who could not possibly get in otherwise" landed on hockey for us.

Cornell football sucks because Cornell was lucky. We could have been Penn.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2019 09:04PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 29, 2019 09:21PM

Cornell football has not always sucked. We had a winning program from the mid-‘80’s thru 2000. Our football fortunes have cratered under the current AD. I don’t see why we can have nationally competitive teams in hockey & lacrosse & can’t compete in Ivy football.

Date: September 29, 2019 11:42PM

We kept it close against the preseason top pick in the league. nobody here expected to win that game. Coles had some great runs, the defense made some very good stops, we didn't recover the onside kick.

It's not even that I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy but I'm not sure what more you wanted out of that game than wishing for a time machine to turn over the coaching staff two years ago.

Date: September 30, 2019 05:06AM

Trotsky
Swampy

No.

It's why Brown sucks at hockey. The school does not care, so it does not make the substantive and illicit investments needed to win.

Barring some sort of metaphysical adjustment of Cornell Being, our football will always suck. The arbitrary "base the prestige of your multi-billion dollar research university on the athletic achievements of kids who could not possibly get in otherwise" landed on hockey for us.

Cornell football sucks because Cornell was lucky. We could have been Penn.
At least Eric Furda cared. Plus, you need to let off some steam when you spend probably half your work week dealing with alumni who want to get their kid without offering you, or the school, a half-million dollars.

Date: September 30, 2019 06:23AM

ugarte
We kept it close against the preseason top pick in the league. nobody here expected to win that game. Coles had some great runs, the defense made some very good stops, we didn't recover the onside kick.

It's not even that I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy but I'm not sure what more you wanted out of that game than wishing for a time machine to turn over the coaching staff two years ago.

I'd say Dartmouth and Princeton look especially strong so far, and I would guess they both could beat Yale.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: September 30, 2019 07:55AM

Trotsky
Swampy

No.

Did you notice that they're picked to be seventh?

Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: September 30, 2019 11:04AM

Ugarte, if Rob Koll was entering year 7 with a 25% winning %, uncompetitive facilities & funding, alienated donors, & no apparent plan to turn things around, would you feel sanguine after losing a relatively close match
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2019 11:15AM by CAS.

Date: September 30, 2019 12:29PM

Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Swampy

No.

Did you notice they haven't won the ECAC title in 57 years?

Brown picked 7th this year is a perfect analogy to Cornell football. Some years Cornell football will be picked 5th. Some years Cornell football may even be in it until the final weekend. Someday Cornell football may win an outright Ivy title!

But we'll still suck; at the baseline, in the bloodstream. Cornell football has swung from awful to mediocre to awful for my entire tenure as a Cornellian (since 1981). That is what we are. We don't make the Faustian deals necessary to compete in a D1 sport for football the way we do for hockey, wrestling, and lacrosse.

A. D. White (I think. You know, the California trip quote and the inflated bladder and all that) had his way in the end.

Good.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2019 12:30PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 30, 2019 01:13PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Swampy

No.

Brown picked 7th this year is a perfect analogy to Cornell football. Some years Cornell football will be picked 5th. Some years Cornell football may even be in it until the final weekend. Someday Cornell football may win an outright Ivy title!

But we'll still suck; at the baseline, in the bloodstream. Cornell football has swung from awful to mediocre to awful for my entire tenure as a Cornellian (since 1981). That is what we are. We don't make the Faustian deals necessary to compete in a D1 sport for football the way we do for hockey, wrestling, and lacrosse.

A. D. White (I think. You know, the California trip quote and the inflated bladder and all that) had his way in the end.

Good.

How was Cornell awful to mediocre since 1981? They won the Ivy Championship in 1988 and 1990! They finished second in 1995 and 2000.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2019 01:19PM by Ken711.

Date: September 30, 2019 01:42PM

Ken711
Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Trotsky
Swampy

No.

Good.

How was Cornell awful to mediocre since 1981? They won the Ivy Championship in 1988 and 1990! They finished second in 1995 and 2000.
40 years, 4 times in contention. That is well within the variance of a mediocre team.

Take the 10-year running sum of Ivy wins starting 1981-90. Have we ever been even 3rd, let alone 2nd or 1st?

I will take this admonition, though. If likewise we have never been 7th or 8th then I'll allow that we have been perpetually mediocre and never truly awful. Perhaps Columbia and... I dunno... Brown(?) can save us.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2019 01:46PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 30, 2019 01:58PM

"Take the 10-year running sum of Ivy wins starting 1981-90. Have we ever been even 3rd, let alone 2nd or 1st? "

Yes we have. we finished 2nd in 1986, and finished 1st in 1988 and 1990.

Date: September 30, 2019 02:48PM

Ken711
"Take the 10-year running sum of Ivy wins starting 1981-90. Have we ever been even 3rd, let alone 2nd or 1st? "

Deep breath.

No.

Have we ever been third in 10-year running sum during any interval since 1981?

Though I'll open this up to any interval in Ivy League history. Maybe there's a way to cherry pick one 10-year period including the MARINARO years in which we were 3rd. Maybe.

tl; dr: sucky today, sucky tomorrow, sucky forever. Which is fine as the sport will be bear baiting by 2050 anyway.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2019 04:30PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 30, 2019 02:51PM

Ken711

That means almost all of the students on campus (including grad students) weren't even born when we last finished first.

That's not just mediocrity. That's pure garbage.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2019 03:45PM

Trotsky
Ken711

Deep breath.

No.

Though I'll open this up to any interval in Ivy League history. Maybe there's a way to cherry pick one 10-year period including the Marino years in which we were 3rd. Maybe.

tl; dr: sucky today, sucky tomorrow, sucky forever. Which is fine as the sport will be bear baiting by 2050 anyway.

Exactly when were the Marino years?

You don't mean Marinaro, do you? Things would really suck if a sports program's alumni critics don't even know the names of the school's's few luminaries in the sport.

Date: September 30, 2019 04:28PM

When we get to the part where people starting launching on typos it's time to edge out the door. Thanks for your contribution.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2019 04:29PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 30, 2019 04:46PM

Trotsky
Ken711

Deep breath.

No.

Though I'll open this up to any interval in Ivy League history. Maybe there's a way to cherry pick one 10-year period including the MARINARO years in which we were 3rd. Maybe.

I'm in agreement they have had terrible teams most years since 2001, HOWEVER, they have achieved past success, and there's no reason why that can't be repeated with the proper selection of a head coach, and the backing by the administration.

Date: October 01, 2019 04:51AM

The Bill Marino '76 years were fantastic. Cornell went 43-4. He scored an overtime goal vs Maryland in the national championships (when OT was timed not first-to-score). First-team All-America at midfield. Also lettered in football fall 1975. It's an understandable mistake.

Date: October 01, 2019 07:42AM

billhoward
The Bill Marino '76 years were fantastic. Cornell went 43-4. He scored an overtime goal vs Maryland in the national championships (when OT was timed not first-to-score). First-team All-America at midfield. Also lettered in football fall 1975. It's an understandable mistake.
Those "fantastic" Marino years extended through 1978 with brother Tom. Add one NCAA championship and one runner-up finish.

Date: October 01, 2019 06:01PM

CAS
Ugarte, if Rob Koll was entering year 7 with a 25% winning %, uncompetitive facilities & funding, alienated donors, & no apparent plan to turn things around, would you feel sanguine after losing a relatively close match
yeah. i mean i'd probably be disappointed but i'd take a close loss to a better team pretty well and not act like it was some great shame.

Cornell football
Date: October 04, 2019 11:26AM

[blank]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 11:31AM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell Football 2019 Georgetown - Homecoming
Date: October 04, 2019 11:31AM

Georgetown 3-1 at Cornell 1-1, 3 pm kickoff. Homecoming tailgates before. 500th (varsity) football game at Schoellkopf. Game preview according to Cornell sports information: [cornellbigred.com]
Game odds:  Cornell -10 (Cornell favored, ie Cornell minus 10 points (depending oddsmaker) makes it an even game)

Rain odds:  0% rain ~60 degrees game

Over/under, weekend alcohol transports to Cayuga Medical Center:  30  

Best tailgate:  CBAA, in a walk, puts fraternity, class and CFA tents to shame. 

Odds we go 4-1 at home: Uh, 20%? (Cornell needs 4 wins in 5 2019 home games to make it 300 W's at Schoellkopf all-time.) 

Odds a bar in Collegetown we want is no longer there: 100% 

I'm looking forward to the weekend. LGR!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2019 11:48AM by billhoward.

Date: October 05, 2019 03:19PM

Interception on first Cornell possession. Four plays and a two-point conversion later and down by eight.

Date: October 05, 2019 04:13PM

Cornell trails 8-0 at the half. The defense has played well overall, and we’ve had some success moving the ball. But we routinely shoot ourselves in the foot. We had 2nd and 4 on Georgetown’s 24 in the last two minutes, and ran a swing pass that we run all the time, so naturally Georgetown knew it was coming and our back Wes tackled for a 4 yard loss. After an incompletion on 3rd down we missed a 44-yard FG. Since our kicker was just 1 out of 3 coming into the game, I would’ve preferred going for it on 4th down.

Date: October 05, 2019 04:34PM

118 total yards in a half isn't much success. Georgetown's D line is pushing our line around and Archer's brilliant "schematics" are fooling no one.

Date: October 05, 2019 05:02PM

8-8 starting the 4th, Cornell has the momentum now.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2019 05:36PM

Didn’t see any hybrid warfare in that last Cornell series

Date: October 05, 2019 05:36PM

Catanese is spraying the ball with open receivers but he really isn't getting much time either. Cornell falling apart in the 4th. Two long punt returns, a long TD pass and G'town has a 6 point lead and the ball in Cornell territory with under 5 to go.

Date: October 05, 2019 05:38PM

Ken711
8-8 starting the 4th, Cornell has the momentum now.
Not any more. Fumbles, bad snaps, holding, late hit. Offense dull, predictable. Play calling dreadful. Need to clean house of coaching staff.

Date: October 05, 2019 05:45PM

i don't know what the first three quarters looked like but the 4th quarter was butt

Date: October 05, 2019 05:46PM

No bueno today. :-/ 14-8 loss.

Page: Previous1 2 34Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login