Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Football 2019

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell Football 2019
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2019 09:57AM

The excitement is building. Cornell has a youthful veteran coach not much older than Sean McVay. I've marked my calendar for Homecoming.

2019 Cornell Football Schedule	
SaturdaY    Opponent
Sep. 21	    @ Marist
Sep. 28	    @ Yale 
Oct.  5	    Georgetown Hoyas (Homecoming)
Oct. 12	    @ Harvard
Oct. 19	    Colgate
Oct. 26	    Brown
Nov.  2     Princeton 
Nov.  9	    @ Penn
Nov. 16	    @ Dartmouth
Nov. 23	    Columbia

For New Jersey / metro Philadelphia residents, it's nice to see the away games versus Princeton and Penn are now in alternating years.

Re: Cornell Football 2019
Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: February 05, 2019 11:50AM

Thx for posting schedule. Might be more excitement if our coach didn’t have a 15-45 record.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 12:27PM

billhoward
The excitement is building. Cornell has a youthful veteran coach not much older than Sean McVay. I've marked my calendar for Homecoming.

SaturdaY    Opponent
Sep. 21	    @ Marist
Sep. 28	    @ Yale 
Oct. 12	    @ Harvard
Oct. 19	    Colgate
Oct. 26	    Brown
Nov.  2     Princeton 
Nov.  9	    @ Penn
Nov. 16	    @ Dartmouth
Nov. 23	    Columbia

For New Jersey / metro Philadelphia residents, it's nice to see the away games versus Princeton and Penn are now in alternating years.

More forgiving non-conference schedule than we've seen the past couple of years.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2019 12:33PM

scoop85
billhoward

SaturdaY    Opponent
Sep. 21	    @ Marist
Sep. 28	    @ Yale 
Oct. 12	    @ Harvard
Oct. 19	    Colgate
Oct. 26	    Brown
Nov.  2     Princeton 
Nov.  9	    @ Penn
Nov. 16	    @ Dartmouth
Nov. 23	    Columbia

More forgiving non-conference schedule than we've seen the past couple of years.
Is Marist D-II? That's one of those schools where I think, "Oh right, that's a college." Like C.W. Post.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 12:34PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: February 05, 2019 01:53PM

scoop85

The only forgiving non-conference schedule these days would be not having one.

Date: February 05, 2019 02:25PM

Trotsky
scoop85
billhoward

SaturdaY    Opponent
Sep. 21	    @ Marist
Sep. 28	    @ Yale 
Oct. 12	    @ Harvard
Oct. 19	    Colgate
Oct. 26	    Brown
Nov.  2     Princeton 
Nov.  9	    @ Penn
Nov. 16	    @ Dartmouth
Nov. 23	    Columbia

Is Marist D-II? That's one of those schools where I think, "Oh right, that's a college." Like C.W. Post.

Marist is D-1, and has been for some time. Nice school in Poughkeepsie right on the Hudson with a rising academic reputation.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 04:38PM

scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85
billhoward

SaturdaY    Opponent
Sep. 21	    @ Marist
Sep. 28	    @ Yale 
Oct. 12	    @ Harvard
Oct. 19	    Colgate
Oct. 26	    Brown
Nov.  2     Princeton 
Nov.  9	    @ Penn
Nov. 16	    @ Dartmouth
Nov. 23	    Columbia

Marist is D-1, and has been for some time. Nice school in Poughkeepsie right on the Hudson with a rising academic reputation.
Rik Smits thanks you for remembering.

Date: February 05, 2019 08:06PM

scoop85
Marist backs onto a half mile or so of Hudson Riverfront, but unlike Stevens in Hoboken, no dorms with a river view, I believe. Yes, a rising rep, but on the campus tours 6-8 years back, the walker-talkers spend a lot of time talking about how seriously Marist treats alcohol infractions. Also it didn't sound like a school where you asked if the infirmary gives out condoms at the front desk. On the plus side, when the women's basketball team made the NCAAs (see how different Marist is), and it was on TV, Marist needed students on TV, so they chartered a plane for the day to, say, St. Louis. Twenty bucks got you the flight out and back, a ticket, and a Marist T-shirt. That got our son excited, but not as much as the concern over alcohol storm troopers.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 09:58PM

Cornell got a commitment from this kid who had offers from Michigan, Kentucky and Tulane among others.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: February 05, 2019 10:02PM

ugarte
scoop85
Trotsky
scoop85
billhoward

SaturdaY    Opponent
Sep. 21	    @ Marist
Sep. 28	    @ Yale 
Oct. 12	    @ Harvard
Oct. 19	    Colgate
Oct. 26	    Brown
Nov.  2     Princeton 
Nov.  9	    @ Penn
Nov. 16	    @ Dartmouth
Nov. 23	    Columbia

Rik Smits thanks you for remembering.

I saw Smits at a Marist-CU basketball game in Ithaca years ago.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2019 10:32AM

scoop85
Cornell got a commitment from this kid who had offers from Michigan, Kentucky and Tulane among others.

Interesting. The Rivals page lists schools he's shown interest in -- a very impressive list -- and says he has "Medium" interest in all of them. But Cornell's not even on the list! (Although Dartmouth is.)

The page says he had 9 offers. Since he's listed as being interested in 14 schools, 7 of which I consider "high majors," this is quite impressive. Still, he's listed as only 2 stars (out of 5) -- probably because of his size: 5'9", 185.

Date: February 06, 2019 02:35PM

Swampy
scoop85

Interesting. The Rivals page lists schools he's shown interest in -- a very impressive list -- and says he has "Medium" interest in all of them. But Cornell's not even on the list! (Although Dartmouth is.)

The page says he had 9 offers. Since he's listed as being interested in 14 schools, 7 of which I consider "high majors," this is quite impressive. Still, he's listed as only 2 stars (out of 5) -- probably because of his size: 5'9", 185.

One of the recruiting sites had him as a 3 star, but I agree his size likely lowered his stock a bit from the ratings folks. Nonetheless he's the first player I can recall turning down a Michigan offer to come to Cornell.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 06, 2019 03:36PM

scoop85
Swampy
scoop85

One of the recruiting sites had him as a 3 star, but I agree his size likely lowered his stock a bit from the ratings folks. Nonetheless he's the first player I can recall turning down a Michigan offer to come to Cornell.
Maybe they wanted him to switch to DB or saw himself as roster filler there.

Date: February 06, 2019 03:49PM

scoop85
Swampy
scoop85

Well, A.D. White left Michigan and (eventually) went to Cornell. popcorn

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2019 05:57PM

Former New Milford star Ed Marinaro called in to Signing Day to congratulate Cornell-bound Emmett McElroy.

[www.northjersey.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2019 10:05PM

Ken711
Former New Milford star Ed Marinaro called in to Signing Day to congratulate Cornell-bound Emmett McElroy.

[www.northjersey.com]

That’s fantastic

Date: February 07, 2019 10:25AM

Ken711

[www.northjersey.com]

Great article. Thanks!

It sort of makes up for the Arizona Daily Star article on Stone Gettings, which seems to diss Cornell every chance it can, and for TD Ierlan choosing that shithole school in New Haven over Cornell.

Or is it "that school in the shithole called New Haven?"

Date: June 24, 2019 08:23PM

ITHACA, N.Y. -- The Cornell football team will host defending Ivy League champion Princeton on Friday, Nov. 1 at 6 p.m. on ESPNU as part of the Ivy League's ESPN football package. The contest will be one of seven games that will appear on ESPN linear networks during the 2019 season. This is the 12th-consecutive year that the league will feature a national football television package.

IVY LEAGUE FOOTBALL ON ESPN LINEAR NETWORKS

Date Game Time Broadcast
Friday, Sept. 27 Brown at Harvard 7 p.m. ESPNews
Friday, Oct. 4 Dartmouth at Penn 7 p.m. ESPNU
Friday, Oct. 11 Lafayette at Princeton 7 p.m. ESPNU
Friday, Oct. 25 Columbia at Dartmouth 6 p.m. ESPNU
Friday, Nov. 1 Princeton at Cornell 6 p.m. ESPNU
Saturday, Nov. 9 Princeton vs. Dartmouth TBD TBD
Saturday, Nov. 23 Harvard at Yale TBD TBD

Date: June 25, 2019 12:59AM

Bring rain gear and snow pants.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2019 04:01AM

billhoward

...to my living room to watch television?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: June 25, 2019 11:08AM

Beeeej
billhoward

...to my living room to watch television?
*traces a line on your palm* ... and this means your ceiling will cave in

Date: July 23, 2019 10:17AM

Former Cornell rb Chris Walker transferred to Eastern Illinois. He battled injuries here and could have come back a 5th medical year, but decided on a change of schools.

[jg-tc.com]

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-174-220-21.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2019 01:08PM

His transfer might be related to financial aid. At Cornell I do not they extend financial aid beyond 4 years.

Date: July 23, 2019 01:12PM

Ken711
Former Cornell rb Chris Walker transferred to Eastern Illinois. He battled injuries here and could have come back a 5th medical year, but decided on a change of schools.
[jg-tc.com]

Jarad Jarman, Journal Gazette & Times-Courier
The Panthers were picked eighth in the OVC’s official preseason poll, as voted by head coaches and sports information directors. The league’s media poll, released last week, predicted the same finish.
Q: Why transfer when you could have stayed at Cornell and play for a team also (probably) picked to finish 8th?
A: The Ohio Valley Conference has nine teams.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2019 05:13PM

You need someone to confirm that a student has an academic reason to stay at Cornell beyond 8 semesters to get financial aid after 4 years.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2019 06:52PM

In Andy’s 20 years as AD, Cornell football has had 2 winning seasons. In the 11 years prior to Andy taking over as AD, Cornell football had 6 winning seasons. Discuss amongst yourselves
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2019 07:21PM by CAS.

Date: July 23, 2019 08:46PM

CAS
In Andy’s 20 years as AD, Cornell football has had 2 winning seasons. In the 11 years prior to Andy taking over as AD, Cornell football had 6 winning seasons. Discuss amongst yourselves

To make it look feel even worse, look at these stats from the CFA letter to it's members:

Football Record Since 1999: 2 winning seasons | Overall winning percentage 35.6% | Ivy League winning percentage 34.2% | Last 10 seasons overall winning percentage 28% | Last 10 seasons Ivy League winning percentage 25.7% – RESULTS MATTER!"

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 12:25PM

So in Andy’s 20-year tenure as AD, a winning football team has turned into a perennial doormat, with uncompetitive facilities, insufficient funding, & alienated supporters who may no longer financially support the program.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: July 24, 2019 12:48PM

CAS
So in Andy’s 20-year tenure as AD, a winning football team has turned into a perennial doormat, with uncompetitive facilities, insufficient funding, & alienated supporters who may no longer financially support the program.

Pretty much. And your point? deadhorse

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-174-203-18.myvzw.com)
Date: July 24, 2019 01:49PM

Is it time yet for another 6-year extension?

Date: July 24, 2019 02:15PM

CAS
Is it time yet for another 6-year extension?

Honestly, I can't see how this Cornell AD and administration can keep Archer as HC beyond this, his 7th year, unless he can lead this team to at least a .500 record (hopes of seriously challenging for an Ivy Championship are pure fantasy and have been for years). I suspect in reality, the 2019 team is headed for another losing record.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: July 28, 2019 11:15AM

EIU lists him as a graduate transfer. Assuming that's true, he couldn't have played for the Big Red this season unless he decided to postpone graduation. That's an Ivy League issue and not a Cornell FB issue (which is good because the FB program has enough issues).

Of course, the EIU website also says Walker played four years with the Bears, so who knows about its accuracy?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 11:17AM by mountainred.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2019 12:45PM

mountainred
Of course, the EIU website also says Walker played four years with the Bears, so who knows about its accuracy?

And

was a first-team All-Patriot League selection as a sophomore ranking 42nd nationally in yards per carry

Date: August 08, 2019 05:19PM

What a surprise, Cornell is picked to finish in the bottom half of the Ivy League yet again. Lucky for Cornell Brown is picked last... ;-)

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Cornell was picked to finish seventh in the 2019 Ivy League Football Preseason Media Poll it was announced today. The Big Red will kick off the new campaign with its sights set on having a much bigger impact on the league standings when it visits Marist on Saturday, Sept. 21 at 12 p.m.

Yale was picked to win the league for the second straight year, with defending champion Princeton sitting third and receiving four first-place votes, second only to the Bulldogs' nine. Dartmouth, chosen second overall, received two first-place votes and Harvard and Columbia claimed one each. Two media members from each of the eight schools and one national media member comprised the poll.

"2019 Ivy League Football Preseason Poll (First-Place Votes)

1. Yale (9) 119
2. Dartmouth (2) 111
3. Princeton (4) 107
4. Harvard (1) 93
5. Penn 67
6. Columbia (1) 61
7. Cornell 29
8. Brown 24"

Date: August 08, 2019 06:39PM

Hey, we're not last.

Date: August 08, 2019 06:57PM

Trotsky
Hey, we're not last.

Is that the team motto for this season.... "Hey, we're not last!"

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2019 07:50PM

Brown has a new head coach & a QB transfer from Boston College. Cornell has Dave Archer (15-45) returning for his 7th year as head coach.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 08:43PM by CAS.

Date: August 09, 2019 08:09AM

CAS
Brown has a new head coach & a QB transfer from Boston College. Cornell has Dave Archer (15-45) returning for his 7th year as head coach.
QB should have come to Cornell as part of the Steve Donahue deal and player to be named later.

Date: August 09, 2019 12:10PM

CAS

And hopefully his last season. :-D

Date: August 09, 2019 02:05PM

Have we gotten any better?

(Record in Ivy games)

Yr W-L  PF  PA Diff
12 2-5 182 220  -42
------------------
13 2-5 174 251  -77
14 1-6 126 258 -132
15 1-6 101 219 -118
16 2-5 143 225  -82
17 3-4 134 155  -21
18 2-5 138 215  -77

Yikes. No.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 02:06PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2019 04:23PM

Cornell went 5-5 & 4-6 (9-11 overall ) in the two years prior to the Archer era. 15-45 since. Btw Brown let go of a coach after he had 3 losing seasons, despite going 115-94 overall & winning 3 Ivy titles.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 05:22PM by CAS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login