Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Why does Cornell football have such little success?

Posted by Swampy 
Why does Cornell football have such little success?
Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2018 01:30PM

At one time Cornell was a national football power, beating the likes of Michigan, playing in packed stadiums, and claiming 5 national championships. In 1956 it affiliated with the Ivy League, and since then it has shared the Ivy football championship three times, but never winning it outright. Only Columbia (1 shared championship in 1961) has done worse. This is despite having several HOF-calibre coaches (e.g., George Seifert 1975-6, Bob Blackman 1977-1982).

Along with Brown, which has won 4 championships, Columbia and Cornell football are the dregs of the Ivy League. Other than these three, every other Ivy has won at least 11 championships (Princeton) and as many as 18 (Penn).

So what's the explanation for why Cornell football sucks so much?

Re: Why does Cornell football have such little success?
Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: November 08, 2018 02:19PM

Columbia went 8-2 last year. They turned it around by devoting greater resources to the program & hiring an outstanding coach.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: November 08, 2018 02:37PM

H/Y/P have more generous need-based aid and better academic reputations (particularly in the courses of study that better accommodate an athlete's schedule). That we routinely finish ahead of them in hockey and wrestling (and other sports, I assume) says a lot about the strength of those coaching staffs but doesn't exactly prove that Archer sucks.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2018 03:35PM

Swampy
HYP has a higher number of Monty Burns alumni who live or die by "The Big Game."

Cornell does have its own well-heeled Upper Class Twits of the Year, but they seem far less invested in the football team (and goddamnit the hockey team). The result is less cough "development" (vanity donations).

It could likewise be that HYP physically lie within the geographical stomping grounds of Sauron Partners Limited, Evil Corp., and the other hateful legal and financial firms populated by the douchebags HYP pumps out, while Ithaca is a long Cessna flight from where our comparatively fewer (and poorer) douchebags bilk the proles.

Or maybe we're just smarter and intuitively understand football is dumb.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 03:37PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2018 12:34AM

Trotsky
HYP has a higher number of Monty Burns alumni who live or die by "The Big Game."

Cool! Do they watch it on TV, or occasionally fly out west to see it in person?

:P

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: November 09, 2018 07:14AM

French Rage
Trotsky

Cool! Do they watch it on TV, or occasionally fly out west to see it in person?

:P
With the exception of the murder victim in The Postman Always Rings Twice, it's safe to say that nobody has, does, or will ever care about a derby between two insufferable left coast also rans.

Date: November 09, 2018 08:28AM

CAS
Columbia went 8-2 last year. They turned it around by devoting greater resources to the program & hiring an outstanding coach.

But in part my point is that Cornell has had outstanding coaches and still lost (cf. e.g., Seifert's record). I don't know what resources they were given, but presumably someone like Blackman would bargain for the resources he needed before he would agree to come to Ithaca.

So I think there must be more to explain our woeful record. Is there?

Date: November 09, 2018 08:46AM

ugarte
H/Y/P have more generous need-based aid and better academic reputations (particularly in the courses of study that better accommodate an athlete's schedule). That we routinely finish ahead of them in hockey and wrestling (and other sports, I assume) says a lot about the strength of those coaching staffs but doesn't exactly prove that Archer sucks.

IIRC, the exceptional need-based aid is relatively recent. And to protect themselves, the other 5 Ivies adopted various counter strategies. So what explains the HYP schools' relative dominance since the late 1950s?

And what about Dartmouth & Penn!!!! Outside of the HYP group, I don't think the other Ivies are significantly different in their reputations. Maybe one can attribute Dartmouth's relative success to Bob Blackman's exceptional record. But surely Penn is not unquestionably more prestigious than Cornell. This ranking has Penn tied for 10th in the world (ahead of Yale & Columbia) with Cornell 19th. (Dartmouth is #99.) But this ranking, only for the U.S., has Cornell at #8 and Penn at #35. (Dartmouth didn't make the list.)

Also, the fact that both Penn & Dartmouth are among the winning programs demonstrates that urban/rural locations are not particularly germane.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2018 08:54AM

From 1987 - 2000, Cornell football had 10 winning & only 4 losing Ivy seasons. If Columbia can turn football around, I don’t see why we can’t.

Date: November 09, 2018 09:01AM

Trotsky
Swampy

True, no doubt. (Not to mention Supreme Court & Politician Twits.)

Trotsky
Cornell does have its own well-heeled Upper Class Twits of the Year, but they seem far less invested in the football team (and goddamnit the hockey team). The result is less cough "development" (vanity donations).

So let's say, for the sake of argument, that this is true. It still doesn't explain why their twits are more likely than ours to support their respective football teams.

Trotsky
It could likewise be that HYP physically lie within the geographical stomping grounds of Sauron Partners Limited, Evil Corp., and the other hateful legal and financial firms populated by the douchebags HYP pumps out, while Ithaca is a long Cessna flight from where our comparatively fewer (and poorer) douchebags bilk the proles.

This hypothesis would likely cover Penn too. But then it doesn't explain the two anomalies: Dartmouth (also located in the north woods but having a strong winning record) and Columbia (located at the heart of the beast but with a long-term record even worse than ours).

Trotsky
Or maybe we're just smarter and intuitively understand football is dumb.

Smarter, no doubt. But then why are we having this conversation?

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2018 10:01AM

CAS

That's all it takes! David Archer's win/loss record which currently stands at: (15-43 overall, .259; 11-29, Ivy, .275). If Cornell doesn't make a change at the end of this season, you'll know how little they care about the sport,

Date: November 09, 2018 10:23AM

Swampy
Smarter, no doubt. But then why are we having this conversation?
Because we're at work and hockey hasn't started yet.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2018 11:06AM

Swampy
CAS

But in part my point is that Cornell has had outstanding coaches and still lost (cf. e.g., Seifert's record). I don't know what resources they were given, but presumably someone like Blackman would bargain for the resources he needed before he would agree to come to Ithaca.

One issue I've heard from coaches is the difficulty of having to deal with six or seven undergraduate admissions departments.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2018 11:14AM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
CAS

One issue I've heard from coaches is the difficulty of having to deal with six or seven undergraduate admissions departments.

Didn't they create an athletics-admissions "clearing house" sort of structure several years ago to deal with that problem? That's what I'm remembering, anyway - and I'm remembering some discussion of it here.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 09, 2018 11:34AM

Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Swampy
CAS

Didn't they create an athletics-admissions "clearing house" sort of structure several years ago to deal with that problem? That's what I'm remembering, anyway - and I'm remembering some discussion of it here.

You are correct on that admissions clearing-house change. The lack of facilities is another factor. Look at the Ivy schools having indoor practice facilities as another factor in attracting, and then developing those athletes. Al Bagnoli the Columbia coach as a condition of his hire required that Columbia commit to build an indoor practice facility which they now have. Princeton and Harvard also have them now, and Dartmouth is building theirs with funding and design approved. No coincidence that those schools also have a record of winning in football.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2018 11:51AM

Swampy

This discussion prompted me to reread the chapter "The Hiring and Firing of George Seifert" in Bob Kane's book Good Sports. Interesting read on the forces at play at the time. I thought then, and still do, that Seifert was fired largely because Blackman was canned at Illinois and became available. He never achieved anything like the success he had in his 15 years at Dartmouth and was gone after six. Seifert, of course, went on to bigger and better things.

Date: November 09, 2018 01:18PM

George64
Swampy

This discussion prompted me to reread the chapter "The Hiring and Firing of George Seifert" in Bob Kane's book Good Sports. Interesting read on the forces at play at the time. I thought then, and still do, that Seifert was fired largely because Blackman was canned at Illinois and became available. He never achieved anything like the success he had in his 15 years at Dartmouth and was gone after six. Seifert, of course, went on to bigger and better things.

Possibly, it was also a factor of a Cornell hiring a new athletic director who inherited Seifert as the existing football coach.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login