Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell football 2018

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Cornell football 2018
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 03, 2018 06:57PM

Cornell 2018 football schedule
Sep 15 TBA    @ Delaware 
Sep 22        Yale (Homecoming) 
Sep 29        Sacred Heart 
Oct 07        Harvard
Oct 13        @ Colgate
Oct 20        @ Brown
Oct 27        @ Princeton 
Nov 02 6:00   Penn (ESPN) (Friday night)
Nov 10        Dartmouth
Nov 17        @ Columbia
In order to provide a more interesting and competitive end to the Ivy League football season, Penn-Princeton and Cornell-Columbia are now the season-ending games. Translation: The odds of Penn-Princeton having an effect on the championship race is more dramatic than Princeton-Columbia (virtually guaranteed Princeton win) and to a lesser extent Cornell-Penn. It makes sense for the good of the league.

Looks as if one Ivy (or Ivy vs. non) game a week will be Friday at 7 or 6 pm, on one of the ESPN networks.

One nice thing for NY-NJ-Philadelphia alumni: The at-Princeton and at-Penn games are in alternating years. In 2018 we'll be at Princeton for the second straight year and host Penn for the second straight year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 07:11PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell football 2018 - late schedule sucks
Date: June 03, 2018 07:15PM

Sep 15 TBA    @ Delaware 
Sep 22        Yale (Homecoming) 
Sep 29        Sacred Heart 
Oct 07        Harvard
Oct 13        @ Colgate
Oct 20        @ Brown
Oct 27        @ Princeton 
Nov 02 6:00   Penn (ESPN) (Friday night)
Nov 10        Dartmouth
Nov 17        @ Columbia 
Nov 24        @ MSG vs. Harvard (hockey)
In even years past (2016-2014, there has been a fantastic Cornell-in-NYC weekend when we played Columbia around Nov. 10, with tailgates, class receptions the night before, the Big Red Band march down Fifth AVenue after the game, and dining/drinking after that, plus some pre-reunion rah-rah cocktail parties for (this year) the classes of 4s and 9s. Five years ago it was a wonderland warm, mid-60s Friday night and our class had a rooftop reception.

Probably ain't gonna happen this year. You have to decide where to expend your energies. Now, all these events if they happen are going to compete with Red Hot Hockey at MSG seven days later, this time the non-league game vs. Harvard. It was already bad enough when the two were within 2 or 3 weeks. If the football weekend events happen, they're going to damp attendance at hockey, or vice versa, among alumni who are more socializers than sports fanatics.

Re: Cornell football 2018
Posted by: RichH (45.56.150.---)
Date: June 04, 2018 11:22AM

Nah, having a year-tagged thread for everything is getting monotonous. I'm going to willy-nilly create game threads just to break this up, bill.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: June 05, 2018 03:58PM

billhoward

In order to provide a more interesting and competitive end to the Ivy League football season, Penn-Princeton and Cornell-Columbia are now the season-ending games. Translation: The odds of Penn-Princeton having an effect on the championship race is more dramatic than Princeton-Columbia (virtually guaranteed Princeton win) and to a lesser extent Cornell-Penn. It makes sense for the good of the league. 

What!?! Columbia a guaranteed win for Princeton? Have you been watching?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2018 03:41PM

Re: Cornell football 2018 - ivy league past glory
Posted by: Rita (---.ftmy.qwest.net)
Date: July 16, 2018 09:34PM

For anyone that has Sirius XM radio, tonight's (7/16) edition of LATE HITS on the NFL Channel 88 (7 pm - 11 pm) is focusing on NFL players (past and present) from the IVY League.

JC Tretter was on a 9 pm and Gil Brandt has a few stories about Ed Marinaro. The show replays around 3 am, and is available "on demand" for those of you with the App.

Date: July 18, 2018 04:48PM

I just happened to see a kid tweet that he's received an offer from Cornell football. In his twitter handle he includes that he has 4.0 GPA and a 21 on the ACT. That's the 56th percentile. No offense intended, but it seems hard to believe anyone with a 21 ACT would be admitted to Cornell these days.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2018 08:51AM

scoop85
I just happened to see a kid tweet that he's received an offer from Cornell football. In his twitter handle he includes that he has 4.0 GPA and a 21 on the ACT. That's the 56th percentile. No offense intended, but it seems hard to believe anyone with a 21 ACT would be admitted to Cornell these days.
Sure they haven't re-scored it again?

Edit: nah, 21 is shitty.

I mean, it is football, though... whistle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 08:55AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: July 19, 2018 12:08PM

i for one want to tsk tsk about standardized test scores from the good athlete who worked hard enough in high school to graduate with a 4.0

Date: July 19, 2018 12:51PM

ugarte
i for one want to tsk tsk about standardized test scores from the good athlete who worked hard enough in high school to graduate with a 4.0
Some HS have gone to a 5.0 grading system. Freaked me out when my daughter brought home a 4.7 in Oregon.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 12:52PM by Trotsky.

Date: July 19, 2018 12:57PM

ugarte

Certainly the merits of standardized tests are debatable. But the fact is that Cornell factors test scores into is admissions decisions, and Cornell's average ACT for accepted students is a 32.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2018 02:39PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2018 02:08PM

scoop85
ugarte

Certainly the merits of standardized tests is debatable. But the fact is that Cornell factors test scores into is admissions decisions, and Cornell's average ACT for accepted students is a 32.

Maybe the kid got a 32 and slid one digit left on the phone keyboard. It's Twitter, it's not like anybody cares about correctness over there.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2018 05:07PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Some HS have gone to a 5.0 grading system. Freaked me out when my daughter brought home a 4.7 in Oregon.

This reminds me of my fifth year which was in Ann Arbor. At one point in the year a member of the admissions committee asked my C.U. buddies and me what was going on with a woman applicant who had a higher than 4.0 in Chem. E. We had to fess up to the 4.3 system in place at our alma mater - which of course made us look 0.3 less in his eyes.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: July 19, 2018 06:52PM

marty
Trotsky
ugarte

This reminds me of my fifth year which was in Ann Arbor. At one point in the year a member of the admissions committee asked my C.U. buddies and me what was going on with a woman applicant who had a higher than 4.0 in Chem. E. We had to fess up to the 4.3 system in place at our alma mater - which of course made us look 0.3 less in his eyes.

Hey, if it wasn't for the little 0.3 I'd have never gotten a 4.0 my last semester (I got an A+ in one course in my major which offset an A- in one of my electives).

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2018 05:24PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
marty
Trotsky
ugarte

Hey, if it wasn't for the little 0.3 I'd have never gotten a 4.0 my last semester (I got an A+ in one course in my major which offset an A- in one of my electives).
Every semester I received (won't say earned!) an A+, I also had an A- in a class with one more credit hour, so no 4.0s for me. :(

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-225-2.myvzw.com)
Date: July 25, 2018 02:17PM

Reserve judgment until you see his game videos.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2018 09:56PM

Cornell football picked to finish 7th in Ivies in preseason media poll.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2018 10:31PM

CAS

Not surprised.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2018 10:51PM

CAS
Not last! First time since 2014.

Date: August 21, 2018 12:10PM

George64
CAS
Not last! First time since 2014.
Around the bowl and down the hole.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.static.metronet.is)
Date: August 21, 2018 03:59PM

Looks like highly-rated QB recruit Harley Kirsch is off the 2018 roster having never taken a varsity snap due to a very serious illness early on. Shame.

Re: Cornell football 2018 - sad commentary
Date: September 13, 2018 07:29AM

The season opens tomorrow. There hasn't been a football post here since Aug. 21. In comparison, there's been a bunch on lacrosse and even a half-dozen on polo (horse, not water). Good luck, Cornell. I might even go down to Delaware to watch, assuming seats are still available. 3:30 p.m. at Tubby Raymond Field. I don't think an Ivy school would allow such name. Have to be T. Raymond III Field at Delaware Mud Hens / Monsanto Round-Up Stadium. LGR!

I don't believe the hurricane is targeting Delaware (high 70s Saturday, partly cloudy).

Date: September 13, 2018 09:16AM

billhoward
The season opens tomorrow. There hasn't been a football post here since Aug. 21. In comparison, there's been a bunch on lacrosse and even a half-dozen on polo (horse, not water). Good luck, Cornell. I might even go down to Delaware to watch, assuming seats are still available. 3:30 p.m. at Tubby Raymond Field. I don't think an Ivy school would allow such name. Have to be T. Raymond III Field at Delaware Mud Hens / Monsanto Round-Up Stadium. LGR!

I don't believe the hurricane is targeting Delaware (high 70s Saturday, partly cloudy).

Mid Atlantic weather has returned to our Total Shit Status Quo for September (sticky, fetid, gross). Playing football in this must be the equivalent of having to wear wet socks on a 5-mile hike.

Just survive. (Your 2018 motto)

Date: September 13, 2018 10:40AM

billhoward

Cornell got creamed by Delaware last opener. It should follow the same script. Get ready for plenty of mistakes, penalties and turnovers as Cornell plays their 1st game and Delaware their 3rd.

Date: September 13, 2018 06:33PM

And Delaware just crushed Lafayette, 37-0.

Not looking forward to much of a game Saturday, but I'll go down there for the hell of it.

Date: September 13, 2018 08:55PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Not looking forward to much of a game Saturday, but I'll go down there for the hell of it.

Hope this is the end of the Delaware series.

Date: September 13, 2018 09:58PM

Ken711
Jeff Hopkins '82

You and me both. Though I hope they don't replace Delaware with Villanova. They just smashed Lehigh.

Can we go back to playing the Merchant Marine Academy? whistle

Date: September 14, 2018 09:45AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Ken711
Jeff Hopkins '82

You and me both. Though I hope they don't replace Delaware with Villanova. They just smashed Lehigh.

They should add a team like Lafayette or Holy Cross in future schedules.

Date: September 14, 2018 08:44PM

Ken711
Jeff Hopkins '82
Ken711
Jeff Hopkins '82

They should add a team like Lafayette or Holy Cross in future schedules.

I remember going to a Cornell game at Lafayette a while back. We lost.

Date: September 15, 2018 09:27AM

I remember when we played Rutgers more or less evenly. But that was when older alums recalled Cornell played Michigan evenly. The oldest lamented how wimpy football had become with the departure of leather helmets.

Maybe we're losing our best athletes to Ultimate.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 15, 2018 03:48PM

Cornell 3, Delaware 0. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Date: September 15, 2018 06:03PM

ugarte
Cornell 3, Delaware 0. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Now 24-3 Delaware. :-/

Re: Cornell football 2018 - Delaware 27-10
Date: September 15, 2018 08:44PM

Lots of pluses from the first game: Cornell is early on the scoreboard, finishes strong. Then there's the other 50 minutes. And the defense did keep Cornell in the game for three quarters.

There's also this news from the Cornell sports PR story:
CornellBigRed.com
Notes To Know
• Five Cornellians made their first career starts: LB Lance Blass, WR Garrett Cloer, TE John Fitzgerald, CB Phazione McClurge and WR Lars Pedersen.
• Seeing their first varsity action were: LB Lance Blass, OL Nick Busher, WR Devan Cross, RB Jake Derderian, DL Maxton Edgerly, LS Thomas Ferrara, RB Thomas Glover, RB Delonte Harrell, CB Michael Irons, QB Richie Kenney, S Logan Thut, DL Nathaniel Weber.
• Cornell fell to 0-2 all-time against Delaware with no future meetings on the schedule.
• The Big Red is 92-34-4 all-time on opening day, though just 6-5 in its last 11.
Are they any flagship campus football programs where we could be competitive? (What is the NYS flagship campus BTW?)

Posted by: RichH (159.192.216.---)
Date: September 16, 2018 01:52AM

Well, now I know all sorts of facts about this game except one: the final score.

Our game reports sure are weird here.

billhoward
Lots of pluses from the first game: Cornell is early on the scoreboard, finishes strong. Then there's the other 50 minutes. And the defense did keep Cornell in the game for three quarters.

There's also this news from the Cornell sports PR story:
CornellBigRed.com
Notes To Know
• Five Cornellians made their first career starts: LB Lance Blass, WR Garrett Cloer, TE John Fitzgerald, CB Phazione McClurge and WR Lars Pedersen.
• Seeing their first varsity action were: LB Lance Blass, OL Nick Busher, WR Devan Cross, RB Jake Derderian, DL Maxton Edgerly, LS Thomas Ferrara, RB Thomas Glover, RB Delonte Harrell, CB Michael Irons, QB Richie Kenney, S Logan Thut, DL Nathaniel Weber.
• Cornell fell to 0-2 all-time against Delaware with no future meetings on the schedule.
• The Big Red is 92-34-4 all-time on opening day, though just 6-5 in its last 11.
Are they any flagship campus football programs where we could be competitive? (What is the NYS flagship campus BTW?)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.mtnsat.com)
Date: September 16, 2018 06:35AM

Can't win without a quarterback who can throw downfield.

Date: September 16, 2018 08:18AM

Al DeFlorio
Can't win without a quarterback who can throw downfield.

On the quarterback issue, he (one of them, anyway) did throw downfield a couple times and in most cases he actually overthrew his receivers. Tho in one case, the receiver turned around too soon, slowed down, and the ball went just beyond his fingertips.

Our first drive was all tricks and screens. When Delaware caught on to that, it stalled the drive and then the rest of the offense until the last 5 minutes when the Hens had the back-ups in. But we had a lot of passes that were not on target or were dropped. Offensively, what I saw was a team that had two games under their belts (including an embarrassing first game loss that they wanted to "avenge" ) versus a team playing their first game who really seemed to not have their timing down.

IMO, the real weakness was our defense. We couldn't stop the long sideline pass. That was the killer. Delaware would just set up #7 wide left, throw the long bomb down the sideline, and we couldn't do anything to stop it. Automatic 40 yard gain. The defensive coaches never moved a safety over to give any support to the cornerback to prevent it. And by the end of the game, our defense was so gassed that they started giving up the edges on the run. Delaware could chew up yardage and run the clock and we couldn't stop them.

I take one consolation: last year we had five turnovers in the first half. This year, none in the whole game.

But for me, I'm glad the series is over. I wonder who we replace them with.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 08:23AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: September 16, 2018 08:25AM

Deleted
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 08:55PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 16, 2018 10:04AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

But for me, I'm glad the series is over. I wonder who we replace them with.

Probably Syracuse or Maryland. :-/

Date: September 17, 2018 12:51AM

RichH
Well, now I know all sorts of facts about this game except one: the final score.
I thought the subject line would be a handy place to post the final score.

Date: September 17, 2018 11:31AM

billhoward
RichH
I don't think this is wrong exactly, but it would work better if it's a game thread rather than a branch of a season thread.

I also think Rich already knew the final score because of the Rest of the Internet.

Date: September 17, 2018 12:02PM

RichH

The game score was we fucking lost.

This is going to be the game score a lot, so you may want to commit it to memory.

Posted by: RichH (---.contina.com)
Date: September 18, 2018 05:21AM

ugarte
billhoward
RichH
I don't think this is wrong exactly, but it would work better if it's a game thread rather than a branch of a season thread.

I also think Rich already knew the final score because of the Rest of the Internet.

2 things:

My apologies, Bill. I didn't see the score in the subject line because I don't normally ever read the subject line of every post in a thread. (Flat view forever!) Heck, I don't even read the author's name of each post because I can usually tell who wrote it based on how bad the jokes are.

Ugarte: I stand by my decision that Cornell football isn't worth opening any other site or app to deep-dive to where they buried the Ivy League scoreboard. It takes what, 30 seconds? Nah, I'm good.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 05:24AM by RichH.

Posted by: RichH (---.contina.com)
Date: September 18, 2018 05:26AM

Trotsky
RichH

This is going to be the game score a lot, so you may want to commit it to memory.

I just want to know how badly we lost is all.

Date: September 18, 2018 10:10AM

RichH
Trotsky
RichH

I just want to know how badly we lost is all.
Think of it this way.

We were embarrassed by a team that was embarrassed last year by Villanova which was embarrassed this year by Pitt which was embarrassed last year by Georgia Tech which was embarrassed last year by Duke. And Duke sucks.

The FCS is bad. The Ivies are bad for the FCS. We are bad for the Ivies.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 10:12AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-14.myvzw.com)
Date: September 18, 2018 12:37PM

Did anyone watch the game on ESPN+? Or has anyone watched any Ivy game on ESPN+ for that matter. Wondering if there was an improvement, regression, or “about the same” versus ILDN broadcasting a similar game last season.

Date: September 18, 2018 01:42PM

CU2007
Did anyone watch the game on ESPN+? Or has anyone watched any Ivy game on ESPN+ for that matter. Wondering if there was an improvement, regression, or “about the same” versus ILDN broadcasting a similar game last season.

It was an away non-league game, and was not on ESPN+. I watched some of it on Delaware's Youtube channel

Date: September 18, 2018 02:04PM

scoop85
CU2007

It was an away non-league game, and was not on ESPN+. I watched some of it on Delaware's Youtube channel

Yep, I also watched it on the YouTube channel.

Date: September 20, 2018 08:55AM

RichH
My apologies, Bill. I didn't see the score in the subject line because I don't normally ever read the subject line of every post in a thread. (Flat view forever!) Heck, I don't even read the author's name of each post because I can usually tell who wrote it based on how bad the jokes are.
None needed. Just bank it for when I say something dumb. I could also have just appended "Delaware" so people knew this was the first game of the year and not about Cornell's prospects or reminiscing how good it was when Kevin Boothe anchored the offensive line.

Date: September 20, 2018 09:06AM

Trotsky
Others say we're not so bad.

[www.sbnation.com]
Bill Connelly, SBNation
The Massey Composite compiles computer ratings for both the FBS and FCS levels. In 2015, the Ivy League, powered by No. 5 Harvard and No. 6 Dartmouth, graded out as the second-best FCS conference, behind only North Dakota State’s Missouri Valley. In 2017, it ranked fourth.

The league has fielded at least one top-15 team in six of the last eight years, and the depth appears to be increasing quickly, too.

That trend should only continue. Per HERO Sports, Princeton signed 2018’s No. 1 FCS recruiting class, and three other Ivy schools (No. 2 Yale, No. 6 Harvard, No. 14 Columbia*) ranked in the top 15. Harvard and Yale ranked in the top eight in each of the last two years, too.

Maybe you’ve noticed. Maybe you flipped over to NBC Sports on a Friday night to watch part of an Ivy League game or turned on the annual Harvard-Yale battle and caught yourself getting sucked in. Maybe you saw two Ivy Leaguers get selected in April’s NFL draft. Or maybe you noticed Princeton beating out Alabama for a four-star quarterback. But perhaps you didn’t notice. You could be forgiven.

* If true and the Lions are really big, the #1 train will be safe when players commute to practice.

Date: September 20, 2018 10:05AM

billhoward
Trotsky

That's interesting, Bill! I will admit it's not at all the impression I had.

I have always assumed if the Ivies ever dropped their monocle and joined the FCS playoffs our one auto bid would lose in the first round by 73 to Inbred Red State Pentecostal A&I (the Fightin' Glossolalists).

Date: September 20, 2018 10:34AM

Trotsky
I have always assumed if the Ivies ever dropped their monocle and joined the FCS playoffs our one auto bid would lose in the first round by 73 to Inbred Red State Pentecostal A&I (the Fightin' Glossolalists).
At first I was thinking of Red State as Native American. Now I got it. And in its entirety the name was pretty funny.

I was browsing small colleges recently and saw one that calls itself "selective" but the online guides note it has a 94 percent acceptance rate. The other six probably can afford but can't figure how to pull the ring on a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2018 09:02PM

That's why I couldn't understand all the hand wringing on this board about playing Delaware. I daresay Colgate is pretty much on the same level as the Hens.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2018 08:04PM

Trotsky
billhoward
Trotsky

That's interesting, Bill! I will admit it's not at all the impression I had.

The NCAA forced them to change their name from The Racist White Mysogynists. banana

Yale over Cornell 30-24
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2018 06:20PM

Another 0-2 start to the season, We've seen this show before.

Re: Yale over Cornell 30-24
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2018 06:26PM

Ken711

At least it was competitive (unlike last week). And Yale was the preseason #1 Ivy pick.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2018 06:29PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Ken711

At least it was competitive (unlike last week). And Yale was the preseason #1 Ivy pick.

Some curious play calling. And the roughing the passer call that set up Yale’s clinching TD on 3rd and long was awfully shaky.

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2018 10:30AM

My observation

Cornell's defensive scheme with a lot of blitzing leaves the corners and safeties on 1 on 1 coverages and vulnerable on the pass plays. Credit to Yale's o-line for picking up the blitzes.

Date: September 23, 2018 10:53AM

The roughing call is the only thing I didn't like in this game. We were supposed to get rolled and didn't. We've played two games that were supposed to be blowouts and have looked credible, even in losses. It's an improvement. I have low expectations for football so this is good to me. A win here would have been amazing, and it hurts that we came close and failed, but I'm still happy with the season so far.

Also, I think Dalton Banks is not a very good passer.

Date: September 23, 2018 01:52PM

ugarte
The roughing call is the only thing I didn't like in this game. We were supposed to get rolled and didn't. We've played two games that were supposed to be blowouts and have looked credible, even in losses. It's an improvement. I have low expectations for football so this is good to me. A win here would have been amazing, and it hurts that we came close and failed, but I'm still happy with the season so far.

Also, I think Dalton Banks is not a very good passer.

All our QBs have regressed or made no development progress under Archer's QB position coach during his tenure.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-17.myvzw.com)
Date: September 24, 2018 05:11PM

CU2007

For anyone wondering, the broadcast quality on ESPN+ was about the same as the ILDN (with maybe a few more replays?). Anyways, don’t expect a significant improvement for hockey.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2018 10:23AM

We just won our sprint football game against Franklin Pierce (due to forfeit) - what's the deal with that?

Date: September 25, 2018 11:13AM

margolism
We just won our sprint football game against Franklin Pierce (due to forfeit) - what's the deal with that?
He's been dead since 1869. That can't have helped.

Date: September 25, 2018 11:43AM

Trotsky
margolism
He's been dead since 1869. That can't have helped.
+1 Twice in one topic Trotsky made me almost spew coffee out the nose.

Sprint football not even getting the courtesy of its own topic. One of the six alumni winning the Frank H T Rhodes Award for Distinguished Alumni Service last week was Jay Carter '71. A lot of words for a small plaque, so they inscribe it Cornell Big Macher instead.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2018 08:09PM

[bigredsportsnetwork.org]

Here’s your answer. Franklin Pierce DGAF

Date: September 29, 2018 05:04PM

Cornell blows out formerly 3-0 Sacred Heart 43-24. Wow.

Date: September 29, 2018 05:31PM

ugarte
Cornell blows out formerly 3-0 Sacred Heart 43-24. Wow.

And it was 43-10 before garbage time

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2018 11:37AM

I watched the game on ESPN+ and it seemed that there were many commercial breaks. According to box scores, the SHU game ran for 3:10 and last week's Yale game ran 3:15. In contrast, the first two games on IDN last year, Colgate and Bucknell, ran for 2:41 and 2:36, respectively. Presumably, the many and lengthy commercials accounted for the extra 34 minutes per game. I hope that this trend doesn't continue into hockey season as annoying commercial timeouts affect the flow of the game and provide a break for less well conditioned teams, not to mention that fans will get home later.

Date: October 01, 2018 11:52AM

George64
I watched the game on ESPN+ and it seemed that there were many commercial breaks. According to box scores, the SHU game ran for 3:10 and last week's Yale game ran 3:15. In contrast, the first two games on IDN last year, Colgate and Bucknell, ran for 2:41 and 2:36, respectively. Presumably, the many and lengthy commercials accounted for the extra 34 minutes per game. I hope that this trend doesn't continue into hockey season as annoying commercial timeouts affect the flow of the game and provide a break for less well conditioned teams, not to mention that fans will get home later.
3:15 is a Major League Baseball 7-inning game.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2018 07:27AM

I think once you go to ESPN games then there is a set number of commercial timeouts even if its not on reg Tv stations. This makes all the games fit into the tv blocks

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: October 02, 2018 10:53AM

George64

This would suck for us old timers and hockey purists of any age. The only silver lining is that it would give the coaching staff more experience in dealing with the finesse needed in line matching, etc. when dealing with a game with more timeouts. It could make the staff more ready for playoff hockey.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.sub-174-199-16.myvzw.com)
Date: October 02, 2018 04:16PM

marty
George64

This would suck for us old timers and hockey purists of any age. The only silver lining is that it would give the coaching staff more experience in dealing with the finesse needed in line matching, etc. when dealing with a game with more timeouts. It could make the staff more ready for playoff hockey.

This is sort of my view. The flow of a TV game can seem much different than that of a non-tv game. NCAA games are all TV games. May as well adapt to that flow even if it means longer games in December too.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2018 01:34PM

ESPN+ currently has the Cornell-Harvard football video crosswired to the Cornell-Harvard women's soccer game.

Nice high resolution image, though.

Date: October 06, 2018 01:44PM

They sorted themselves out just it time for a 47-yard Harvard TD run. 0-7.

Date: October 06, 2018 02:11PM

0-7 through 1 quarter. Other than the one broken play not a bad effort. Harvard looks better but Catanese has been moving the ball a little.

Date: October 06, 2018 02:35PM

Blocked punt returned 28 yards by Bedard; 7-7.

Date: October 06, 2018 02:36PM

Great punt block and scoop to tie the game at 7.

Harvard's best WR got hurt early in the game and it's really hurt their offense. Of the few plays I saw, we couldn't cover him and their QB could totally trust him to be open on timing throws.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2018 02:59PM

Neither team has a quarterback. Null is out so no kicking or punting game. Cornell playcalling is awful but playbook itself is worse. Unnecessary roughness (key word: unnecessary) penalty killed first good field position.

Princeton and Dartmouth will roll these two teams..

Date: October 06, 2018 03:52PM

Cornell has a terminally stupid coaching staff. Harvard has given up just 50 yards per game rushing, but Cornell starts every down series with a rush, usually two. When they didn't, the surprise pass (and badly underthrown at that) gained 45 yards and led to the only offensive touchdown.

Date: October 06, 2018 04:15PM

Gorgeous broken tackle 34 yard TD run by Coles makes it 21-24 midway through the 4th. We are still in this.

Date: October 06, 2018 04:23PM

Boom. Banks-Peters 33, 28-24, 5 mins to go.

Date: October 06, 2018 04:40PM

Defense stands up with 3 late stops. 28-24 final. Great win!

Date: October 06, 2018 04:45PM

Trotsky
w

Yes, terrific win. I agree with Al that Dartmouth and Princeton are the cream of the Ivies, but okay is one to savor.

Date: October 06, 2018 05:30PM

A win is a win. Whatever the football bar is now will be rocking tonight.

Date: October 07, 2018 12:16AM

scoop85
Trotsky
w

Yes, terrific win. I agree with Al that Dartmouth and Princeton are the cream of the Ivies, but okay is one to savor.
Maybe so but we beat Princeton last year and we've improved. Dartmouth will probably roll.

Date: October 07, 2018 11:28AM

ugarte
scoop85
Trotsky
w

Maybe so but we beat Princeton last year and we've improved. Dartmouth will probably roll.

Princeton was missing Lovett their QB. They are much better team this year with him.

Date: October 07, 2018 01:16PM

Ken711
ugarte
scoop85
Trotsky
w

Princeton was missing Lovett their QB. They are much better team this year with him.

Based on early results, both Princeton and Dartmouth look like they could be serious contenders were Ivies to compete in the FCS playoffs

Re: Cornell football 2018 - Princeton
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2018 04:38PM

ugarte
scoop85
Trotsky
w
Princeton just rolled Lehigh 66-7. Princeton's lowest MOV was 35 points in a 45-10 win over Columbia. Princeton put up 50+ points in its other 3 games.

Date: October 07, 2018 04:55PM

billhoward
ugarte
scoop85
Trotsky
w
Princeton just rolled Lehigh 66-7. Princeton's lowest MOV was 35 points in a 45-10 win over Columbia. Princeton put up 50+ points in its other 3 games.
Why are you all replying with facts that you know I know? I thought you wanted our team to win.

Date: October 07, 2018 06:42PM

ugarte
billhoward
ugarte
scoop85
Trotsky
w
Why are you all replying with facts that you know I know? I thought you wanted our team to win.

Probably because it's highly unlikely Cornell wins, and more likely suffer a blow out. ;-)

Date: October 07, 2018 09:25PM

Didn't anyone say, Your grandfather has a cold ... grandpa had to go to the hospital ... let's pray for grandpa. It gets you ready for what's about to happen shortly.

P.S. Did you hear Princeton grabbed the #1 recruit in the FCS segment, the one Alabama tried to snatch, and he's not even starting? Now, I believe grandpa Ezra is on the life-support machine and don't you walk near the cord, young Charles.

Date: October 13, 2018 01:03PM

Didn't learn from last week. Varied offense on first drive was successful until two dumb play calls ended it. Since then it's run, run, run until you have to pass and then punt.

Colgate TD scored on a clever pass play and FG set up by a clever delayed screen. Waiting to see a clever Cornell play. 10-0 late first.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: October 13, 2018 01:28PM

I don't think we watch the same games, Al. A better team ended the first drive by making plays. The calls weren't dumb, they just didn't work.

Bad snap leaves the Cornell punter scrambling inside Cornell's 20 and he gets nailed by the coverage team. Fortunately for Cornell, the helmets brushed against each other (and it looked much worse because his head snapped back on the hit) and Colgate gets hit with a *terrible* targeting call with 16 seconds left in the half. Instead of Colgate with the ball in the red zone, Cornell is able to move into Nick Null's field goal range for a last-second field goal try. Alas, Nick Null is out for the year. Zach Mays isn't close on a 43-yarder but the Red is only down 10-0 at the half to a top-20 FCS team.

Re: Cornell football 2018 @ Colgate
Date: October 13, 2018 01:54PM

<sigh>

But: Did anyone think we'd have a two-game win streak going before mid-season?

Now 17-0 Colgate 5 minutes into the third up to 24-0 Colgate 8 minutes into the third. If we have a comeback planned, we do have all 3 timeouts left. Good game management.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 02:04PM by billhoward.

Date: October 13, 2018 01:59PM

that fake punt was one of the worst passes I've ever seen lol

Date: October 13, 2018 02:06PM

ugarte
I don't think we watch the same games, Al. A better team ended the first drive by making plays. The calls weren't dumb, they just didn't work.
No, we watch the same games. We just have a different idea of smart play-calling.

Date: October 13, 2018 02:42PM

Some consolation: Back in Ithaca, Cornell sprint football put up 26 in the second quarter to lead Chestnut Hill College 35-23. I had to learn more about Chestnut Hill, which is not close to BC, but in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia. About 1400 students. And this on admissions: A 500 on each SAT is about average and it's "moderately difficult" to get in.

Date: October 13, 2018 03:01PM

Dalton Banks gets subbed out after the Cornell D gets a stop on downs near midfield with ~4 minutes left. His replacement promptly throws a pick-6 and Cornell is down 31-0.

Date: October 13, 2018 03:03PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
No, we watch the same games. We just have a different idea of smart play-calling.
We're disagreeing over whether it was the call or the execution.

Date: October 13, 2018 03:10PM

ugarte
Dalton Banks gets subbed out after the Cornell D gets a stop on downs near midfield with ~4 minutes left. His replacement promptly throws a pick-6 and Cornell is down 31-0.
Mercifully, the game is over.

Re: Cornell football 2018 @ Colgate L31-0
Date: October 13, 2018 03:35PM

It's on to Providence. Brown has only a win over Georgetown so far, was blanked by Rhode Island 48-0 in the Newport Mansions Cup (I'm sure it has a name), and is being pounded by Princeton 35-3 today.

Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login