Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's basketball 2018-19

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Men's basketball 2018-19
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (72.2.237.---)
Date: January 20, 2019 03:28PM

mountainred
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
Possibly the worst half of basketballl I've ever seen. Completely clueless in half-court offense.

And yet somehow they hold on for a 60-59 win.

I take it Al missed the Courtney years.
Bullshit. Yesterday's second half was the worst. Earl's "system" isn't

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2019 05:40PM

Al DeFlorio
mountainred
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
Possibly the worst half of basketballl I've ever seen. Completely clueless in half-court offense.

And yet somehow they hold on for a 60-59 win.

I take it Al missed the Courtney years.
Bullshit. Yesterday's second half was the worst. Earl's "system" isn't

Yesterday was a dumpster fire, but I think Earl’s system is somewhat better than Courtney’s mess. Just not enough talent besides Morgan, which IS on Earl at this point.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2019 01:22AM

Columbia couldn't miss in the second half. With space, swish. Hand in their face? Swish. Desperate shot before the buzzer? Swish. It was insane. Morgan had a bad game too, despite scoring 21.

And with all that, Boeheim scored 22 and Cornell came back from 11 down in the second half to get themselves in position for a final shot. Riley Voss took a 22 footer to tie at the buzzer, and it painfully rattled in-and-out.

The game was janky as hell in the first half but the second half was a lot of fun. Bad result but the team really didn't play as poorly on defense as Columbia's shooting numbers would suggest. They just couldn't miss.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.132.76.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: February 01, 2019 07:53PM

Nice win against Penn tonight.

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2019 02:31PM

Yes Great win but the Cornell Sun has no coverage of game.

Date: February 02, 2019 02:46PM

rss77
Yes Great win but the Cornell Sun has no coverage of game.

Agreed, it’s weak.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: February 02, 2019 03:44PM

Apparently The Sun has trouble attracting reporters in the digital era and to keep people on staff, they get to do pretty much whatever they want. Which I guess means they don't have to cover sports on the weekend unless they feel like it.

The men's hockey staff is very dedicated, which is why there was coverage during break, blogging during games and stories on the website immediately after the game ends.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2019 10:09PM

Cornell's second half play ends in regulation tie, but the Big Red fall in OT to Princeton 61-70.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: February 05, 2019 03:05PM

First win over Penn in 11 tries and the talk is about the Sun's coverage. Pretty telling about hoops' place in the Cornell sports hierarchy.

Not to dwell on old news, but the Arizona Daily Star did a story on Stone Gettings in which Stone says Cornell's Financial Aid Department tripled his family's contribution before his Junior year (his sister, who was on scholarship, had graduated GW). That stuck with him and when he realized he could graduate early, he did. “It really became a burden when the amount changed and I had to start looking into it,” Gettings said. “But I think it was a blessing in disguise.”

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: February 05, 2019 04:41PM

mountainred
Not to dwell on old news, but the Arizona Daily Star did a story on Stone Gettings in which Stone says Cornell's Financial Aid Department tripled his family's contribution before his Junior year (his sister, who was on scholarship, had graduated GW). That stuck with him and when he realized he could graduate early, he did. “It really became a burden when the amount changed and I had to start looking into it,” Gettings said. “But I think it was a blessing in disguise.”
OOF - but power to him for graduating early and helping his family (and himself) out.

Another highlight of the article is seeing the clear difference in the treatment that athletes get at the sports factory schools. He was basically a student who played basketball at Cornell; at Arizona, he's a prince.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 04:47PM by ugarte.

Date: February 05, 2019 05:08PM

ugarte
mountainred
OOF - but power to him for graduating early and helping his family (and himself) out.

Another highlight of the article is seeing the clear difference in the treatment that athletes get at the sports factory schools. He was basically a student who played basketball at Cornell; at Arizona, he's a prince.

It's a good read. I didn't harbor any ill will toward Stone before, but it near impossible to do so afterwards. I can't imagine what it must be like for the 5 star kids Arizona recruits.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2019 11:15AM

ugarte
mountainred

I also think it says something about Cornell's coaches and team during the time he was here. For example, he says:

At Cornell, I would cook for myself. Here, they make sure you have two or three great meals every day to make sure you’re getting proper nutrition.

I understand how factory schools pay for athletes' meals and separate them out to eat in special dining halls, and I think it's awful. They should be students first and not segregated from the rest of the student body. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Ivy League has rules against such segregated practices. I hope it does.

But I'm reminded of what I read last year about Yale's national champion lacrosse team: players were required to post pictures of their meals, and the captains would review and comment on what the players were eating. I don't know if Yale's coaches implemented this, but it certainly is a way for the team itself to oversee its nutrition without necessarily segregating the student-athletes or paying for their meals. It seems to me that if this is important, any IL team aspiring to be at the top would adopt similar practices.

He also mentions how

At Cornell, I would have a rebounder come and get me occasionally (for shooting practice), whereas here if I want to shoot they have three.
Again, maybe IL limits on budget and staff might preclude this as a formal practice. But what would it take for a coach to find student volunteers to act as rebounders and schedule themselves to help team members practice regularly?

Similarly, the article says,

Basketball conditioning coach Chris Rounds is already working with Gettings to improve his athleticism and get his body fat down to 5 percent.
It's hard to believe the teams in sports at which we're most successful -- hockey and lacrosse come to mind -- don't already do this, but apparently not basketball. The only excuse would be if he were getting back into game shape. But given the long time between now and when he'll actually play games at UA and the fact the article doesn't frame it this way, it seems more likely that his current condition was acceptable at Cornell but subpar at UA. Yet any civilian student at Cornell should be able to go to the gym and work up a plan with a trainer. So even if IL rules limit training -- which they shouldn't since conditioning prevents injuries -- he could have had something at Cornell that's similar to what he's getting at UA. And if in fact Stone's current conditioning was acceptable at Cornell but not a UA, then this speaks volumes about Cornell's basketball program.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: February 06, 2019 11:58AM

Swampy
ugarte
mountainred

I also think it says something about Cornell's coaches and team during the time he was here. For example, he says:

At Cornell, I would cook for myself. Here, they make sure you have two or three great meals every day to make sure you’re getting proper nutrition.

I understand how factory schools pay for athletes' meals and separate them out to eat in special dining halls, and I think it's awful. They should be students first and not segregated from the rest of the student body. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Ivy League has rules against such segregated practices. I hope it does.

But I'm reminded of what I read last year about Yale's national champion lacrosse team: players were required to post pictures of their meals, and the captains would review and comment on what the players were eating. I don't know if Yale's coaches implemented this, but it certainly is a way for the team itself to oversee its nutrition without necessarily segregating the student-athletes or paying for their meals. It seems to me that if this is important, any IL team aspiring to be at the top would adopt similar practices.

He also mentions how

At Cornell, I would have a rebounder come and get me occasionally (for shooting practice), whereas here if I want to shoot they have three.
Again, maybe IL limits on budget and staff might preclude this as a formal practice. But what would it take for a coach to find student volunteers to act as rebounders and schedule themselves to help team members practice regularly?

Similarly, the article says,

Basketball conditioning coach Chris Rounds is already working with Gettings to improve his athleticism and get his body fat down to 5 percent.
It's hard to believe the teams in sports at which we're most successful -- hockey and lacrosse come to mind -- don't already do this, but apparently not basketball. The only excuse would be if he were getting back into game shape. But given the long time between now and when he'll actually play games at UA and the fact the article doesn't frame it this way, it seems more likely that his current condition was acceptable at Cornell but subpar at UA. Yet any civilian student at Cornell should be able to go to the gym and work up a plan with a trainer. So even if IL rules limit training -- which they shouldn't since conditioning prevents injuries -- he could have had something at Cornell that's similar to what he's getting at UA. And if in fact Stone's current conditioning was acceptable at Cornell but not a UA, then this speaks volumes about Cornell's basketball program.

As long as that Cornell student forks over the additional cash to get a gym membership, because the puny tuition bill can't cover luxuries like that.

Date: February 06, 2019 03:52PM

nshapiro
Swampy
Yet any civilian student at Cornell should be able to go to the gym and work up a plan with a trainer. So even if IL rules limit training -- which they shouldn't since conditioning prevents injuries -- he could have had something at Cornell that's similar to what he's getting at UA. And if in fact Stone's current conditioning was acceptable at Cornell but not a UA, then this speaks volumes about Cornell's basketball program.

As long as that Cornell student forks over the additional cash to get a gym membership, because the puny tuition bill can't cover luxuries like that.

Wow, things have sure changed. I remember going over and playing squash regularly with nothing but my student ID. But then again, that was before neoliberalism took over higher education.

One might think gym membership would be automatic for varsity team members. Or would this be considered non-need financial aid?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 03:54PM by Swampy.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (32.210.48.---)
Date: February 07, 2019 09:27AM

Swampy
nshapiro
Wow, things have sure changed. I remember going over and playing squash regularly with nothing but my student ID. But then again, that was before neoliberalism took over higher education.

Geez, that's awful.

When I went to Michigan for grad school, I was at first taken aback by the constant nickle-and-diming, yet I came to see it as a symptom of declining support for public higher education in Michigan and elsewhere. The public/private nature of Cornell notwithstanding, it pains me to see the alma mater heading down that same path.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-18.myvzw.com)
Date: February 07, 2019 11:01AM

Swampy
nshapiro
Swampy
Yet any civilian student at Cornell should be able to go to the gym and work up a plan with a trainer. So even if IL rules limit training -- which they shouldn't since conditioning prevents injuries -- he could have had something at Cornell that's similar to what he's getting at UA. And if in fact Stone's current conditioning was acceptable at Cornell but not a UA, then this speaks volumes about Cornell's basketball program.

One might think gym membership would be automatic for varsity team members. Or would this be considered non-need financial aid?

All varsity athletes can work out at the Friedman Center as they please.

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: February 07, 2019 12:23PM

Scersk '97
Swampy
nshapiro

Geez, that's awful.

When I went to Michigan for grad school, I was at first taken aback by the constant nickle-and-diming, yet I came to see it as a symptom of declining support for public higher education in Michigan and elsewhere. The public/private nature of Cornell notwithstanding, it pains me to see the alma mater heading down that same path.

Not just heading down that path, but fully committed to pissing off parents, many of whom are alumni. It starts when Cornell invites you to register for your freshman child's parents weekend - $15/person, and that gets you a nametag badge and the right to pay to attend other events that weekend.

Date: February 08, 2019 12:18PM

Financial aid is pretty subjective. Would Getting's financial package been the same at the other Ivies given his sister's graduation-hard to say. On the resources that Gettings has been given at Arizona-much of that comes from the TV revenues the Power 5 schools get. It brings what Mike Shafer said at a sports luncheon:. Michigan State's traveling had 40 people wherein Cornell when it goes on the road is 26.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 02:43PM

rss77
Financial aid is pretty subjective. Would Getting's financial package been the same at the other Ivies given his sister's graduation-hard to say. On the resources that Gettings has been given at Arizona-much of that comes from the TV revenues the Power 5 schools get. It brings what Mike Shafer said at a sports luncheon:. Michigan State's traveling had 40 people wherein Cornell when it goes on the road is 26.
Once his sister graduated and her college costs went away, his family's need went down, and so his financial aid dropped accordingly. Not sure why it would be different at any need-based aid Ivy. If he's got athletic scholarship aid at Arizona, there's no 'need' requirement and they can give him whatever they want within the total basketball athletic scholarship limit for Division I. Whole different ballgame.

Date: February 08, 2019 03:58PM

rss77

Good point. But my criticisms were directed at the Cornell coaches & players for, what sounded like, not working around resource constraints. The particular resources mentioned in the article are not out of reach for an Ivy school, even if there's not enough in the budget to pay for them outright. Yale's practice of team members monitoring teammates' nutrition is a good example of ensuring certain eating habits without recourse to an athletic dining hall.

If the article had talked about the team flying on a private jet rather than taking a commercial flight, that would be a horse of a different color.

Date: February 08, 2019 08:47PM

Cornell wins a close game over Dartmouth 83-80.

Date: February 08, 2019 08:48PM

Morgan hits 9 of 11 threes, scores 41 in 83-80 win.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 08:50PM

Al DeFlorio
Morgan hits 9 of 11 threes, scores 41 in 83-80 win.

OK, that's impressive.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dsl1.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 08, 2019 08:52PM

Likely to be lost in Morgan's career high is that Warren went 4 for 4 at the line in the closing seconds.

Date: February 09, 2019 07:57AM

Watching the archived game. Morgan's first points came on a layup 7:21 into the game. Then he closed the half with 12 points in the last 3:13.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 09, 2019 09:01PM

So, the good guys go into Harvard and win 67-61 on a night where Morgan was off his game. Did not see that coming, even after Harvard went to 3 OTs yesterday.

Date: February 09, 2019 09:01PM

67-61 win at Harvard after trailing by 13 at halftime.

Date: February 09, 2019 09:09PM

Cornell is now in a three way tie for second in the league, two games clear of Brown, Dartmouth and Penn. Hard to believe this is the same team that lost to Niagara and was pounded by Delaware. Hats off to them.

Scoop, you may have been right about the reasonable chance for the ILT.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2019 09:14AM

mountainred
So, the good guys go into Harvard and win 67-61 on a night where Morgan was off his game. Did not see that coming, even after Harvard went to 3 OTs yesterday.

Having saw the halftime score, I didn't believe this post when I first saw it. Watching the replay now, and still not sure how they did it.

Date: February 10, 2019 09:41AM

semsox
mountainred

Having saw the halftime score, I didn't believe this post when I first saw it. Watching the replay now, and still not sure how they did it.
Similar reaction watching the replay this morning. Two thoughts: (1) Cornell's defense stepped up in the second half; (2) Unlike Cornell, where Boeheim and McBride (his trey was the dagger) stepped up with Morgan in foul trouble, no Harvard player other than Aiken was willing to do the same, so Aiken had to make some poor shot choices in crunch time.

Date: February 10, 2019 06:14PM

Al DeFlorio
semsox
mountainred

Similar reaction watching the replay this morning. Two thoughts: (1) Cornell's defense stepped up in the second half; (2) Unlike Cornell, where Boeheim and McBride (his trey was the dagger) stepped up with Morgan in foul trouble, no Harvard player other than Aiken was willing to do the same, so Aiken had to make some poor shot choices in crunch time.
Juzang was willing to shoot too, and nailed a few clutch shots, but he got hurt and missed part of the second half. In addition to hitting threes, Cornell played consistent, solid defense, rebounded well and hit their free throws.

Date: February 11, 2019 10:19AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
semsox
mountainred

Juzang was willing to shoot too, and nailed a few clutch shots, but he got hurt and missed part of the second half. In addition to hitting threes, Cornell played consistent, solid defense, rebounded well and hit their free throws.

Don't forget Warren (14p, 5a) -- he's played very well the last two weeks. Cornell was very opportunistic -- they outscored Harvard in points off turnovers 31-12.

Date: February 11, 2019 10:57AM

mountainred
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
semsox
mountainred

Don't forget Warren (14p, 5a) -- he's played very well the last two weeks. Cornell was very opportunistic -- they outscored Harvard in points off turnovers 31-12.
It's not the focus of our offense but it definitely helps that Warren will hit open looks from 3. Harvard didn't guard him deep and he knocked down a pair and is shooting close to 40% from deep on the season. The more people have to come out to check him, the more it opens up the paint for Morgan to drive.

I'm trying to be restrained because top to bottom the league is very close, so there is going to be a lot of churn in the standings, but I think this team is going to make the ILT . The upcoming Yale game is going to be a real test. Even with Yale's great start, they got blown out by Harvard so they are hardly untouchable.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 09:52PM

Pulled it out even with a less than stellar Morgan performance.

splitting with Columbia is going to haunt them

Posted by: scoop85 (---.greenmountainaccess.net)
Date: February 15, 2019 09:55PM

upprdeck
Pulled it out even with a less than stellar Morgan performance.

splitting with Columbia is going to haunt them

We’re marginally better than Columbia, so splitting with them—who have lost a lot of close games—is not surprising. We’ll likely need to go 3-4 to make the ILT, and that is still a tall order IMO

Date: February 15, 2019 09:59PM

i dont see much difference between any of the Ivy teams.

Date: February 16, 2019 10:19AM

The closeness of the games reflects the strength of the league in all 8 teams. The game tonight will turn on how well Julian can defend Miya Oni and at the same time stay out of foul trouble.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2019 09:33PM

Back and forth game but Yale hit 17 free throws in a row at one point and killed us on the boards. 98-92 Yale. The team shot well and defended well late but the refs made a couple of dubious calls on loose balls to undermine the effort.

As everyone is saying, we could win or lose any game in this league. I don't ever remember that being the case.

Date: February 16, 2019 09:38PM

the size advantage Yale has is just too dominant.. Still Cornell had a couple shots late if they get those couple calls

too bad last night Yale missed all those FTs

2 game lead on penn/brown with 6 to go..

Date: February 19, 2019 10:44AM

It's a brutal stretch -- 2 games with first place Yale sandwiching the historically difficult Penn/Princeton road trip. Just one of those will be huge because the win over Harvard will help with tie-breakers.

Date: February 22, 2019 10:46PM

Turned it on after a disappointing hockey game, saw us down by around 10 with under a minute left on the road, turned it off. Lost 68-59 on the road.

Still in 4th with a one game lead on Brown.

Date: February 23, 2019 08:33AM

they were down somewhere around 20 middle of the 2nd. had it down to 2 and had the ball multiple times to take the lead couldn't make a shot and then it slipped away late after it was 4 for a good chunk of time.

Date: February 23, 2019 08:43PM

yeesh blown out by Penn. rough weekend.

Date: February 23, 2019 09:17PM

ugarte
yeesh blown out by Penn. rough weekend.
Led by 2 at the half but outscored 38 - 18 second half.

Date: February 23, 2019 09:44PM

So many mental mistakes. Lost track of how many travels they had.

Date: February 25, 2019 04:36PM

To get to playoffs Boeheim and others will have to start putting more points in the basket. They are playing good defense which has kept them in games. The rest of the season teams will do what Penn did which was sagging off other players and double teaming Morgan. Going forward I hope Earl can bring some point producers into the fold.

Date: February 28, 2019 06:35PM

rss77
To get to playoffs Boeheim and others will have to start putting more points in the basket. They are playing good defense which has kept them in games. The rest of the season teams will do what Penn did which was sagging off other players and double teaming Morgan. Going forward I hope Earl can bring some point producers into the fold.

The first video in this link features the recruit who looks like the best hope on that front. Jones missed his 8th and 9th grade years to an autoimmune problem, so maybe he slipped under the radar.

If the guys win at Brown, they'll have a decent path to the ILT so long as they also beat Dartmouth at home. Penn would need to go 3-1 to force a tie (beating Harvard or Yale) and Brown would need to sweep the Penn/Princeton road trip to finish ahead of Cornell (since the Red would have the tie breaker). Lose to Brown, and an awful lot would have to go right the last weekend.

Date: March 02, 2019 06:57PM

Brown ends first half with 12-2 run to lead 33-28.

Date: March 02, 2019 07:44PM

60-42 so far Cornell came out flat after half-time. Looks like another away loss.

Date: March 02, 2019 08:45PM

Cornell loses to Brown 75-51. Out-scored this weekend 116-163. With a 5 game losing streak this team is trending down at the wrong time.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-203-50.myvzw.com)
Date: March 03, 2019 02:45AM

Ken711
Cornell loses to Brown 75-51. Out-scored this weekend 116-163. With a 5 game losing streak this team is trending down at the wrong time.

Yea, baring a miracle next weekend, they choked away a nice cushion in the league standings and it ends next Saturday night

Date: March 04, 2019 10:30AM

CU2007
Ken711

Yea, baring a miracle next weekend, they choked away a nice cushion in the league standings and it ends next Saturday night

Choke is too strong -- they were the underdog in all five of their losses -- but they did stink this past weekend when they could least afford it.

A sweep this weekend at home (it could happen, they swept Harvard and Dartmouth on the road) and the four seed remains a possibility. But it has to be a sweep.

Date: March 08, 2019 08:51PM

The Guys bounced back impressively beating Harvard 72-59, Morgan with 31.

In the end, it won't matter. Brown and Penn both won, so they meet tomorrow in what is basically a play-in game. Cornell loses the tiebreaker to Penn if all three teams tie at 7-7.

I wonder if they could get a CIT berth at 15-15....

Date: March 08, 2019 09:13PM

mountainred
The Guys bounced back impressively beating Harvard 72-59, Morgan with 31.

In the end, it won't matter. Brown and Penn both won, so they meet tomorrow in what is basically a play-in game. Cornell loses the tiebreaker to Penn if all three teams tie at 7-7.

I wonder if they could get a CIT berth at 15-15....

The Ivies are crazy this year. Too bad we’ll fall a but short. But it would be great if we could get the win tomorrow and be invited to the CIT or CBI (or whatever they’re called) so that Morgan’s Cornell career can be extended.

Date: March 08, 2019 10:27PM

at .500 i think they would get a bid.

Date: March 09, 2019 09:53AM

I think they could. The CIT has invited Ivies in the past -- Columbia has won the thing and Yale was a runner-up -- and I think they are struggling to fill their bracket. Last year they only had 20 teams.

Since the Sweet 16 season, every Ivy other than Cornell has played in some kind of post-season tournament. Even fricking Dartmouth.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-203-1.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2019 07:59PM

Props to Cornell women's hoops for getting into the Ivy Tournament.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.1.---)
Date: March 09, 2019 08:43PM

So, who had Morgan's string of double figure games ending on senior night? Crazy. Cornell still wins 66-51 to finish .500 and tied for 4th. Now, we wait for the CIT.

Date: March 12, 2019 03:56PM

Matt is, not surprisingly, a unanimous pick for first-team all-Ivy. The only Cornellian to make the all-Ivy announcement. He's the second Cornell player to be a unanimous all-Ivy pick more than once (Witt did three times).

He's also only the 6th guy in Big Red history to be named first-team more than once.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 03:59PM by mountainred.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2019 10:40AM

mountainred
Matt is, not surprisingly, a unanimous pick for first-team all-Ivy. The only Cornellian to make the all-Ivy announcement. He's the second Cornell player to be a unanimous all-Ivy pick more than once (Witt did three times). He's also only the 6th guy in Big Red history to be named first-team more than once.
Cornell should compose a Beowulf-like poem, or song, about him. It would probably be titled, Against the Odds. Unless that has been reserved for our FOGOs.

Date: March 17, 2019 12:16PM

Another recruit, Earl's third from the prep school ranks: PG Greg Dolan was second team all-league for the big schools where he set up PoY, and Harvard recruit, Chris Ledlum. Jordan Jones was the Class A (which looks about the middle) Player of the Year.

Dolan won't help replace Julian, but he had a lot of interest from mid-majors and this team is shallow at PG.

Date: March 17, 2019 08:11PM

Cornell hoops to get some postseason action too:

Date: March 17, 2019 10:40PM

scoop85
Cornell hoops to get some postseason action too
well all right!

Date: March 18, 2019 08:48AM

ugarte
scoop85
Cornell hoops to get some postseason action too
well all right!

Winnable game too, though these non-NCAA tournaments often come down to who actually wants to be there.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 09:12AM

scoop85

Very cool, and congratulations to the men's basketball team. With the NCAA, NIT, CBI and CIT, there are now 144(!) men's teams that make it to some sort of postseason, although after the NCAA, nobody cares except people associated with the programs in the other tournaments, or fans of teams who rarely if ever make the NCAA. It does mean that any sort of winning record gets you a shot at some sort of postseason.

It's hard to argue with this article from two years ago:

Four postseason tournaments is 2 or 3 too many

Doug Robinson, Desert News
this isn’t about basketball and postseason glory; it’s about TV and money. It’s filling airtime on TV and selling ad revenue. It’s squeezing the last dollar possible out of “student-athletes.” As writer Andy Hutchins wrote, it “functions as a way for college athletics to funnel money to people outside athletic departments.”

All true, but there are a bunch of kids whose seasons aren't over thanks to the extra tournaments. I may be naive, but there must some of the kids who will enjoy a chance to keep playing basketball.

Date: March 18, 2019 11:42AM

djk26
scoop85

Very cool, and congratulations to the men's basketball team. With the NCAA, NIT, CBI and CIT, there are now 144(!) men's teams that make it to some sort of postseason, although after the NCAA, nobody cares except people associated with the programs in the other tournaments, or fans of teams who rarely if ever make the NCAA. It does mean that any sort of winning record gets you a shot at some sort of postseason.

It's hard to argue with this article from two years ago:

Four postseason tournaments is 2 or 3 too many

Doug Robinson, Desert News

this isn’t about basketball and postseason glory; it’s about TV and money. It’s filling airtime on TV and selling ad revenue. It’s squeezing the last dollar possible out of “student-athletes.” As writer Andy Hutchins wrote, it “functions as a way for college athletics to funnel money to people outside athletic departments.”

All true, but there are a bunch of kids whose seasons aren't over thanks to the extra tournaments. I may be naive, but there must some of the kids who will enjoy a chance to keep playing basketball.

Consider a young team, with mostly frosh & sophomores, 1 or 2 juniors, and no seniors. The team didn't start to gel until late February, so its W-L record would not get it into the dance. When it got to its conference tournament not only did its mediocre seed cause it to take on the strongest teams in its conference, but scheduling (e.g., late game one night, early game the next) also worked to its disadvantage. The team got knocked out in a tight game against the eventual conference champion. To do better next year, the team needs to cement the chemistry that developed over the last month and to get more tournament experience.

If a student-athlete has enough enthusiasm to play the game and devote considerable time to the sport, then it's hard to believe the player wouldn't want to spend another week or so playing in a tournament -- not only for the fun of it, but also to build towards something special the coming academic year.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2019 12:04PM

Swampy

To do better next year, the team needs to cement the chemistry that developed over the last month and to get more tournament experience.

That's true, too. I was thinking about the senior who gets to play basketball for a few more games with his team, but it's also helpful for a young team to gain more experience.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2019 05:20PM

djk26
Swampy

To do better next year, the team needs to cement the chemistry that developed over the last month and to get more tournament experience.

That's true, too. I was thinking about the senior who gets to play basketball for a few more games with his team, but it's also helpful for a young team to gain more experience.

Just like all the bowl games help the next years team. Coaches will almost always say the extra practice really helps. But of course it's much more practice time added in football than b-ball.

Date: March 19, 2019 08:49AM

Jim Hyla
djk26
Swampy

Just like all the bowl games help the next years team. Coaches will almost always say the extra practice really helps. But of course it's much more practice time added in football than b-ball.

Extra practice can't hurt, but more practice/game(s) with Morgan and Julian probably isn't that useful in preparing for next year. Still, it's a nice way to send off one of the best players in school history.

Date: March 19, 2019 10:46AM

mountainred
Jim Hyla
djk26
Swampy

Extra practice can't hurt, but more practice/game(s) with Morgan and Julian probably isn't that useful in preparing for next year. Still, it's a nice way to send off one of the best players in school history.

Just to be clear, my example was hypothetical and aimed at arguing in favor of the lesser post-season tournaments. I didn't mean for it to apply to the Big Red.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 19, 2019 11:14AM

Looks like NEC games are carried by Front Row. This is the Robert Morris channel: [necfrontrow.com]

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 19, 2019 07:42PM

40-37 Red at half.

[www.watchcit.com]

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.127.---)
Date: March 19, 2019 07:43PM

In the always-exciting CIT, Cornell up by three at halftime after leading in double digits. Robert Morris player hit a buzzer-beater from near midcourt to close out the first half. The Robert Morris announcers are some of the worse I've heard. At one point, it seemed like Boeheim scored 20 straight points for Cornell and the announcers are raving about how he probably already has scored a career high, but not once did they mention how many point he has actually scored. Quiet first half for Morgan.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (65.124.240.---)
Date: March 19, 2019 08:23PM

Now 67-66 RMU after an 11-point second half lead disappears.

Date: March 19, 2019 08:58PM

Cornell ends regulation time tied. Loses 98-89 in OT.

Date: March 19, 2019 09:01PM

Disappointing OT loss. Robert Morris couldn't miss in OT and blew it open 98-89.

Boeheim was on fire in the first half, Matt was Matt one last time and a lot of weirdness. Joel Davis never played. Warren started, played 8 minutes and left the game. That resulted in 20 minutes of Riley Voss, who looked okay, and some key second half minutes with both Kobe Dickson and Thurston McCarty on the floor.

Very winnable game, RMU is awful, that was not won.

Date: March 19, 2019 09:12PM

mountainred
Disappointing OT loss. Robert Morris couldn't miss in OT and blew it open 98-89.

Boeheim was on fire in the first half, Matt was Matt one last time and a lot of weirdness. Joel Davis never played. Warren started, played 8 minutes and left the game. That resulted in 20 minutes of Riley Voss, who looked okay, and some key second half minutes with both Kobe Dickson and Thurston McCarty on the floor.

The announcers (who were abysmal) did say Cornell had some injuries—maybe Davis was hurt. Hard to imagine he wouldn’t have gotten any PT otherwise. Truly weird game in a strange looking high school type gym. Guys who hardly played all year got minutes.

Date: March 19, 2019 09:55PM

scoop85
mountainred

The announcers (who were abysmal) did say Cornell had some injuries—maybe Davis was hurt. Hard to imagine he wouldn’t have gotten any PT otherwise. Truly weird game in a strange looking high school type gym. Guys who hardly played all year got minutes.

The announcers and the gym (RMU is building a new one, so they played in their version of Helen Newman Hall) didn't help the overall atmosphere. I did hear the broadcasters mention injuries, but they also said Boeheim doesn't start, so I assumed they didn't know what they were talking about.

The absence of Warren and Davis exposed the team's lack of depth; the drop off after the main four players is (was?) sizeable.

Date: April 10, 2019 09:33AM

This probably should be under Basketball 2019-20, but it seems too early to start that thread.

Bart Torvik has already issued his preliminary 2019-20 rankings:

Ivy ranks:
36. Harvard
53. Penn
114. Princeton
133. Columbia
163. Dartmouth
170. Brown
183. Yale
286. Cornell

Next year looked rough, but the projected gap between Cornell and the rest of the league is brutal.

Date: April 10, 2019 03:17PM

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2019 07:03PM

2019-20 thread created.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.sub-174-202-22.myvzw.com)
Date: July 10, 2019 12:19PM

Matt Morgan is playing for the Raptors in the NBA summer league. Had 11 points off the bench the other night.

Date: October 17, 2019 12:02PM

CU2007
Matt Morgan is playing for the Raptors in the NBA summer league. Had 11 points off the bench the other night.
they signed him!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2019 12:56PM

ugarte
CU2007
they signed him!

Good for him. He'll certainly be G League bound, but he'll have a chance to develop his game, and maybe he can carve out a career like Jeremy Lin?

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login