Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse 2019

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous12345 6 
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019 - faceoff futility
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 03:31PM

upprdeck
5-10 more possessions mean a lot for a team that shoots as well as Cornell does.. added to that a few less possessions by the Opp probably means a few less penalties and that helps the D as well..
I'm thinking some of those too many penalties are from being overly aggressive in trying to overcome the faceoff deficit by creating turnovers.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 10:25PM

mike1960
Trotsky
Interesting though that the top 10 in FO don't dominate the poll. Apparently it's neither necessary (Duke, Loyola, Cornell) nor sufficient (Lehigh, Holy Cross, Hobart).
To win games against quality opponents, I think there is a necessity to get around 50 percent.
That's my takeaway. Right now, 9 of 10 teams in the top 10 in polls are at 50% (rounded to 2 digits). If you're down 3 with 3 minutes to play, if you score to cut the deficit to 2, and odds are 2 in 3 you'll lose the next faceoff.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2019 11:24PM

Trotsky
Interesting though that the top 10 in FO don't dominate the poll. Apparently it's neither necessary (Duke, Loyola, Cornell) nor sufficient (Lehigh, Holy Cross, Hobart).
The top teams play tougher competition, with tougher FOGOs, than do many of the teams with ostensibly higher faceoff win%. So I don't think you can really conclude much just by absolute faceoff win% ranking, other than that Cornell is absolutely atrocious and that we would likely be #1 in the country if TD Irelan had chosen us over Yale. I'm not really sure how people can fault the rest of the team--offense, defense, midfield, goalie--when our per-possession stats are incredible.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cl.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2019 01:55AM

upprdeck
5-10 more possessions mean a lot for a team that shoots as well as Cornell does.. added to that a few less possessions by the Opp probably means a few less penalties and that helps the D as well..

And keeps the D fresher. (Like in hockey, when a team cycles in the offensive zone and wears down the other team's defense.)

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2019 07:30AM

Still surprise Irelan didnt come to play his last year with his brother.

Date: April 17, 2019 07:54AM

upprdeck
Still surprise Irelan didnt come to play his last year with his brother.
He has next year, too. Probably feels he's one-upped his brother by going to Yale. I'm guessing seeing his brother going to Cornell was part of his motivation for wanting out of Albany.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: April 17, 2019 09:38AM

I would not be surprised if also was not just a pure money based decision.

Date: April 17, 2019 10:11AM

Maybe he just liked Yale more.

Some time ago I compared the web sites of Cornell's and Yale's economics departments. I found Cornell's to be dry and mostly about fulfilling requirements, while Yale's was exciting and about why studying economics at Yale was special. So what's his major?

Date: April 17, 2019 10:25AM

Swampy

Some time ago I compared the web sites of Cornell's and Yale's economics departments. I found Cornell's to be dry and mostly about fulfilling requirements, while Yale's was exciting and about why studying economics at Yale was special. So what's his major?
He's an economics major at Yale, I think, but was looking at the Dyson school at Cornell. Yale has no undergrad business school so econ is the closest major.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019
Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 17, 2019 02:07PM

Early rumors were that TD was coming to Cornell. Switch to Yale came after he visited there.

Date: April 17, 2019 08:34PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy

He's an economics major at Yale, I think, but was looking at the Dyson school at Cornell. Yale has no undergrad business school so econ is the closest major.

Well there you go!

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 20, 2019 12:29AM

Inside Lacrosse Bracketology 2

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

The Case for Cornell

With its 11-9 win over Notre Dame, Cornell placed itself back in the at-large conversation with a victory that is currently against a top 10 RPI team. In the process, Cornell moves from No. 15 in last week’s RPI to No. 14, but more importantly, adds a second quality win to its resume to go along with its Towson victory. Last year at this time, Cornell was 10th in RPI and was in our projected bracket as an at-large team. So what are the reasons for selecting the Big Red as an at-large team this time around based on their body of work?

In terms of RPI, Cornell’s 14th rank would not be the lowest to ever get an at large, with teams such as the 2016 National Champion North Carolina Tar Heels getting in with an 18th ranked RPI. Still, teams such as Towson and Johns Hopkins rank ahead of them in RPI. While Johns Hopkins may not have any top 10 wins to compare to Cornell’s win over Notre Dame, Towson has its win over Loyola. In terms of wins against teams ranked 11th to 20th in RPI, Towson has two compared to Cornell’s one (a win over Towson).

Head to head is a criteria of the selection process and one that would help give the edge to Cornell over Towson if the final at-large spot were to be decided between those two programs.

Another criteria that the committee will look at is average RPI win and average RPI loss. In terms of average RPI loss, Cornell has a rather compelling story.

Average RPI loss is defined as the average RPI of all opponents to whom a team has lost. While Cornell has four losses, all four are to teams currently in the top 5 in RPI, with Yale recently replacing Virginia in the top 5. Their average RPI loss is 3.5, which ranks tops in DI lacrosse. Dating back to 2010, any team with an average RPI loss of 5 or less has qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

Last year, Virginia (10th in RPI) had a similar resume to Cornell, ranking first in the country in terms of average RPI loss (5.2) while going 0-4 against top 5 RPI teams and 2-1 against RPI teams ranked Nos. 6-10. Their resume was enough to get them in the Tournament as an at-large against No. 6-seed Loyola.

For Cornell, their remaining schedule provides opportunities for them to add another quality win. While Brown and Princeton are both hovering around .500, the Ivy League Tournament could provide Cornell a great chance to improve its resume, as the conference ranks third in average RPI and has two of the Top 5 RPI teams in the country.
—B.C.

Date: April 20, 2019 02:27PM

"Quality Losses." This has been a Cornell strength in many seasons.
Inside Lacrosse
Another criteria that the committee will look at is average RPI win and average RPI loss. In terms of average RPI loss, Cornell has a rather compelling story.
Average RPI loss is defined as the average RPI of all opponents to whom a team has lost. While Cornell has four losses, all four are to teams currently in the top 5 in RPI, with Yale recently replacing Virginia in the top 5. Their average RPI loss is 3.5, which ranks tops in DI lacrosse. Dating back to 2010, any team with an average RPI loss of 5 or less has qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

Date: April 20, 2019 04:28PM

C>B, Pe>D, Pr>H today.

Next week, HvY is now irrelevant to the ILT. Here are the remaining scenarios:

B>D C>Pr: Pe,Y,C,B
B>D Pr>C: Pe,Y,(B,C,Pr)*

D>B C>Pr: Pe,Y,C,B
D>B Pr>C: Pe,Y,Pr,C

* depends on Princeton's margin of victory (capped at 6 max) over Cornell:

MOV = 1,2: C,B
MOV = 3,4,5: B,Pr
MOV = 6: Pr,C (wrong before, now fixed)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 07:56PM by CU77.

Date: April 20, 2019 05:55PM

CU77
C>B, Pe>D, Pr>H today.

Next week, HvY is now irrelevant to the ILT. Here are the remaining scenarios:

B>D C>Pr: Pe,Y,C,B
B>D Pr>C: Pe,Y,(B,C,Pr)*

D>B C>Pr: Pe,Y,C,B
D>B Pr>C: Pe,Y,Pr,C

* depends on Princeton's margin of victory (capped at 6 max) over Cornell:

MOV = 1,2: C,B
MOV = 3,4,5: B,Pr
MOV = 6: Pr,B
Not sure you're right. The key clause is ambiguous because of a grammatical error. The clause reads "teams [plural] with the greatest goal differential gets [singular] higher seed (6-goal maximum differential per game)." If it should be singular, as it reads in the next tie-break criterion, the team [singular] with the greatest differential would get the 3-seed, and the 4-seed would be determined by head-to-head.

Date: April 20, 2019 06:26PM

That's how I intended to do it (and I have confirmation from an informed source that this is correct), but I now realize I did the MOV=6 case the other way, and it should be Pr,C. I believe the others are correct.

Date: April 20, 2019 07:45PM

Still not clear to me. What if Pr wins by 5, so both Pr and B finish +1? Does that leave the 3-seed indeterminate, so we go to the next criterion: goal differential against highest seed? If so, then Cornell gets the 3-seed and Brown the 4-seed. Or would that eliminate C at -2? Strange stuff.

Date: April 20, 2019 08:00PM

Al DeFlorio
What if Pr wins by 5, so both Pr and B finish +1?
Then Cornell is -2, and eliminated from the tie (and the ILT). Then B gets the #3 seed because they beat Pr.

I didn't previously realize that this tie-breaking system can be so wacky. If Cornell is losing to Princeton late by 3, 4 or 5 goals, then they should score some own goals so that they lose by 6 or more.

Similarly, Princeton should have lost to Brown by 6 or more, instead of by 4. Then Princeton would get in to the ILT by beating Cornell by any margin. As it is, they must win by 3 or more to get in.

Date: April 20, 2019 08:12PM

CU77
Al DeFlorio
Then Cornell is -2, and eliminated from the tie (and the ILT).

Where does it say that in the criteria? It should, but I don't see it.

I didn't previously realize that this tie-breaking system can be so wacky. If Cornell is losing to Princeton late by 3, 4 or 5 goals, then they should score some own goals so that they lose by 6 or more.
That's what I wrote on the lax forum backup thread. Robin Harris and company better hope Cornell wins or they could be dealing with a real fiasco.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: April 21, 2019 11:01AM

Al DeFlorio
CU77
Al DeFlorio
Then Cornell is -2, and eliminated from the tie (and the ILT).

Where does it say that in the criteria? It should, but I don't see it.

That's what I wrote on the lax forum backup thread. Robin Harris and company better hope Cornell wins or they could be dealing with a real fiasco.

Unfortunately another reason to give up on college lacrosse. At least until they get their sh*t together.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 21, 2019 08:17PM

Cornell's Teat and Petterson: The Ultimate Linemates

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

“They’re like Gretzky-Kurri,” says Dan Teat....

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019 - weak NYS/PA opponents
Date: April 22, 2019 09:45AM

Good thing Binghamton is off the Cornell schedule if we want to play opponents with high RPIs. Instead we got St. Bonaventure, barely better, but it's their first season in D1. RPI rankings April 22.
14. Cornell
41. Colgate (played 2018, and lost) 
65. St. Bonaventure  
70. Binghamton  (played 2018)
Playing Lehigh we got the #27 RPI team instead of Bucknell #34.

Hobart is up to #26 in RPI and also-got-votes in the poll this week.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019 - polls 4/22/19
Date: April 22, 2019 09:53AM

USILA poll [www.ncaa.com] has Cornell #9, +1 places.

1. Penn State
2. Marylandd
3. Duke
4. Yale
5. Penn
Saturday opponent Princeton is marked as also Receiving Votes.

Media poll [www.insidelacrosse.com] has Cornell #9, +1 places. The top 5:

1. Penn State
2. Maryland
3. Duke
4. Penn (was 5)
5. Yale (was 4)
Also receiving votes: Princeton

In RPI, Cornell is 14, Princeton 26, Brown 31.

Posted by: jeff '84 (64.74.86.---)
Date: May 02, 2019 01:48PM

Bracketology: [www.insidelacrosse.com]

Also, an interesting Tourney related post by Dom Starsia (inside lacrosse)

Starsia: A 'Leap of Faith' to Allow Automatic Qualifiers into NCAA Tournament

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:08PM

I think it's bad that Hopkins won tonight. Leap frogs them over us as a potential at-large.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2019 10:28PM

JH a loss would have given us more margin, the reality is need some chalk to win

towson win helps us , but still not sure why they or loyola or even maryland are seen as locks.

maryland is now 1-4 vs teams that will be in, they are getting alot of value over beating Penn in game 1 when they were playing game 3..

we with a loss will be 2-5 with Hobart as a shot to add another.

Date: May 03, 2019 12:49PM

upprdeck

maryland is now 1-4 vs teams that will be in, they are getting alot of value over beating Penn in game 1 when they were playing game 3..

Don't think NC$$ takes this into account. Another way Ivies get screwed.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2019 09:30PM

nope. season's over.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2019 10:44AM

ugarte
nope. season's over.

On the plus side, ESPN+ would've auto-billed again on Wednesday, so we were able to cancel 'til next hockey season...

Always looking for the silver linings.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2019 10:51AM

ugarte
nope. season's over.

The search for a FOGO guy begins.

Date: May 06, 2019 11:10AM

mike1960
ugarte
nope. season's over.

The current roster has five FOGOs, with no seniors and only two juniors (Raz & Hunter Hughes). We also have Angelo Petrakis, nationally the #2 class-of-2019 FOGO coming next fall.

In terms of recruiting & searching for a FOGO, what more can the coaches do?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 11:11AM by Swampy.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: May 06, 2019 11:40AM

Swampy
mike1960
ugarte
nope. season's over.

The current roster has five FOGOs, with no seniors and only two juniors (Raz & Hunter Hughes). We also have Angelo Petrakis, nationally the #2 class-of-2019 FOGO coming next fall.

Well, the new guy is good news but i think it's fair to read "the search for a FOGO begins" to mean "the search for a FOGO who doesn't lose most of his faceoffs, like the ones this year, begins" is a fair way to read Mike's point. Who cares how many are on the roster right now if none of them were successful?

Date: May 06, 2019 05:28PM

ugarte
Swampy
mike1960
ugarte
nope. season's over.

Well, the new guy is good news but i think it's fair to read "the search for a FOGO begins" to mean "the search for a FOGO who doesn't lose most of his faceoffs, like the ones this year, begins" is a fair way to read Mike's point. Who cares how many are on the roster right now if none of them were successful?

My point is just that the best coaches can do is to evaluate players, recruit the ones whom they project will be successful, and coach up the ones they recruit. On the first two tasks, our current coaches seem to be doing reasonably well. So three possibilities remain: 1) they're not doing a good job of coaching the FOGO's once they get here, 2) for whatever reasons, the players don't live up to the projections, and/or 3) the players get injured. This seems to have been the case with Raz this year.

Oh, one more thing. 4) The team runs into an historical talent like TD. This would make beating Yale exceptionally difficult, but it still wouldn't explain mediocre FOGO results against so many other teams.

Maybe we can get one of these guys to transfer.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 05:32PM by Swampy.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2019 07:06PM

Swampy
ugarte
Swampy
mike1960
ugarte
nope. season's over.

My point is just that the best coaches can do is to evaluate players, recruit the ones whom they project will be successful, and coach up the ones they recruit. On the first two tasks, our current coaches seem to be doing reasonably well. So three possibilities remain: 1) they're not doing a good job of coaching the FOGO's once they get here, 2) for whatever reasons, the players don't live up to the projections, and/or 3) the players get injured. This seems to have been the case with Raz this year.

Oh, one more thing. 4) The team runs into an historical talent like TD. This would make beating Yale exceptionally difficult, but it still wouldn't explain mediocre FOGO results against so many other teams.

Maybe we can get one of these guys to transfer.

If Petrakis is truly one of the one or two best FOGO’s coming out of HS, we should be at least competitive at faceoffs next year. And I think Graham improved over the course of the season and can certainly be in the mix with the other guys coming back.

Date: May 06, 2019 10:17PM

scoop85
If Petrakis is truly one of the one or two best FOGO’s coming out of HS, we should be at least competitive at faceoffs next year. And I think Graham improved over the course of the season and can certainly be in the mix with the other guys coming back.
Just that it's not like having two fair-to-good linebackers, where the talent is additive. We will have a great FOGO coming into Cornell the year before the faceoff goes away.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019 - All-America
Date: May 13, 2019 08:18AM

Cornell A Jeff Teat is third-team All-America and LSM middie Brandon Salvatore is HM on the 2019 Inside Lacrosse media All-America team. IL calls it "an annual survey of more than 20 people who cover lacrosse regularly and are tasked with honoring the highest performers this spring." (Hello, get me rewrite.) First team attack is Grant Ament of Penn State (probably the Tewaaraton favorite), Pat Spencer of Loyola and - stop press! - sophomore Chris Gray of BU. They are the top 3 scorers in D1 this year. UMass and Duke have two each first team. Ivies named first-team AA were Penn freshman M Sam Handley, Yale FO TD Ierlan. A Michael Sowers of Princeton on second team.

FWIW, the media voters had Sowers, Spencer, and Teat as first-team in a pre-season poll, and Teat was first-team (both USILA coaches and IL media) as a freshman and sophomore. [www.insidelacrosse.com]

2019 DI Men's Media All-Americans - First Team
A-Grant Ament, Jr., Penn State <--- 26G 83A 109 Pts (109 pts after NCAA 1st round; 6.8 ppg, best in D1)
A-Pat Spencer, Sr., Loyola <--- 43G 60A 103 Pts (career 143G 226A 369 Pts in 67 games)
A-Chris Gray, So., Boston U <--- 49G 62A 111 Pts (most total points in D1, 6.5 ppg)
M-Sam Handley, Fr., Penn
M-Dox Aitken, Jr., Virginia
M-Bryan Costabile, Jr., Notre Dame
FO-TD Ierlan, Jr., Yale
SSDM-Zach Goodrich, Sr., Towson
LSM-Isaac Paparo, Sr., UMass
D-Johnny Surdick, Sr., Army
D-Cade Van Raaphorst, Sr., Duke
D-JT Giles-Harris, Jr., Duke
G-Sean Sconone, Sr., UMass

Second Team
A-Michael Sowers, Jr., Princeton
A-Asher Nolting, So., High Point
A-Mac O'Keefe, Jr., Penn State
M-Chase Scanlan, Fr., Loyola
M-Max Tuttle, Sr., Sacred Heart
M-Ryan Conrad, Sr., Virginia
FO-Alex Woodall, Sr., Towson
SSDM-TJ Comizio, Sr., Villanova
LSM-Jared Conners, Jr., Virginia
D-Nick Mellen, RJr., Syracuse
D-Craig Chick, Sr., Lehigh
D-Chris Sabia, Sr., Penn State
G-Jacob Stover, Sr., Loyola

Third Team
A-Jared Bernhardt, Jr., Maryland
A-Daniel Bucaro, Sr., Georgetown
A-Jeff Teat, Jr., Cornell
M-Lucas Wittenberg, Sr., Georgetown
M-Nick Spillane,Sr., Penn State
M-Brendan Curry, So., Syracuse
FO-Kyle Gallagher, Jr., Penn
SSDM-Ryan Terefenko, Jr., Ohio State
LSM-Brett Kennedy, RSo., Syracuse
D-Chris Fake, So., Yale
D-Koby Smith, So., Towson
D-Gibson Smith, So., Georgetown
G-AJ Barretto, Sr., Army

Honorable Mention
A-Joey Epstein, Fr., Johns Hopkins <--- Inside Lacrosse top recruit
A-Jackson Morrill, Jr., Yale
A-Logan Wisnauskas, So., Maryland
A-Michael Kraus, Jr., Virginia
A-Jake Carraway, Jr., Georgetown
M-Connor Kirst, Jr., Villanova
M-Brad Smith, Sr., Duke
M-Jack Tigh, Sr., Yale
M-Tyler Dunn, Sr., Penn
M-Anthony DeMaio, So., Maryland
FO-Gerard Arceri, Jr., Penn State
FO-Conor Gaffney, Jr., Lehigh
SSDM-Danny Logan, Jr., Denver
SSDM-Peter Dearth, Jr., Syracuse
SSDM- Drew Schantz, Sr., Notre Dame
SSDM-Roman Puglise, So., Maryland
LSM-Brandon Salvatore, Jr., Cornell
D-Dylan Gaines, Sr., Denver
D-Curtis Corley, Sr., Maryland
D-Patrick Foley, Sr., Johns Hopkins
D-George Baughan, So., Princeton
G-Max Edelmann, RSr., Rutgers
G-Matt DeLuca, Jr., Delaware <--- no relation to Delaware HC Ben DeLuca '98 former Cornell HC
G-Tim Troutner, Sr., High Point
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 09:51AM by billhoward.

Date: May 13, 2019 08:22AM

As a freshman, Jeff Teat broke Rob Pannell's freshman scoring record of 72 points, last year he had 99 points (62 assists, third all time behind only Tim Goldstein and Eamon McEneaney). This year it dropped to 34-36--70. Ever since Brown locked down on Teat in the 2018 Ivy tournament (1G, 2A after going 2G, 8A vs. Brown in RS) he's been a different player in terms of production. Let's hope Cornell develops some outside midfielder shooting to loosen up defenses and free our man-pushed-about-town. Lacrosse is following basketball in allowing size and aggression to substitute for skill. Maybe it's a reaction to balls that don't come loose so easily. Would Eamon McEneaney '77 (RIP 9/11) at 5-9 and 145 be competitive today?

When Teat gets free and when there's a shooter free to take Teat's pass, he is the best player in lacrosse. As when he threaded that pass to Clarke Petterson to beat Princeton with 8 seconds left.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 08:38AM by billhoward.

Date: May 16, 2019 09:01PM

Cornell is/was better than most of those teams in the final 8.

Date: May 17, 2019 12:19AM

mike1960

The problem is we lost to three of them, twice to Yale.

Date: May 17, 2019 02:03PM

Swampy
mike1960

The problem is we lost to three of them, twice to Yale.
I'd say those are the three best teams remaining in the tournament. Penn State's lost only to Yale. Since their opener, Yale's lost only to Penn. And Penn hasn't lost to anyone since March 2.

Problem is the dopes on the committee have seeded them so only one can get to the championship game.

Date: May 30, 2019 07:02AM

Jeff Teat second team among USILA coaches vs. third team among the media. A Clarke Petterson and LSM Brandon Salvatore are HM. Princeton's Michael Sowers on first team attack along with Loyola's Pat Spencer and Penn State's Grant Ament.

USILA DIVISION I ALL-AMERICANS
FIRST TEAM
Pat Spencer	A	Loyola
Grant Ament	A	Penn State
Michael Sowers	A	Princeton
Jared Bernhardt	A	Maryland
Bryan Costabile	M	Notre Dame
Dox Aitken	M	Virginia
Sam Handley	M	Penn
Ryan Conrad	M	Virginia
Johnny Surdick	D	Army
JT Giles-Harris	D	Duke
Cade Van RaaphorstD	Duke
Chris Sabia	D	Penn State
Sean Sconone	G	UMass
Jacob Stover	G	Loyola
TD Ierlan	FO	Yale
Jared Conners	LSM	Virginia
Zach Goodrich	SSDM	Towson

SECOND TEAM
Chris Gray	A	Boston University
Daniel Bucaro	A	Georgetown
Jeff Teat	A	Cornell
Mac O'Keefe	A	Penn State
Brad Smith	M	Duke
Chase Scanlan	M	Loyola
Lucas WittenbergM	Georgetown
Nick Spillane	M	Penn State
Chris Fake	D	Yale
Nick Mellen	D	Syracuse
Patrick Foley	D	Johns Hopkins
Craig Chick	D	Lehigh
AJ Barretto	G	Army
Tim Troutner	G	High Point
Alex Woodall	FO	Towson
Isaac Paparo	LSM	UMass
Ryan Terefenko	SSDM	Ohio State

THIRD TEAM
NAME
POS
COLLEGE
Asher Nolting	A	High Point
Michael Kraus	A	Virginia
Jackson Morrill	A	Yale
Joey Epstein	A	Johns Hopkins
Max Tuttle	M	Sacred Heart
Brendan Curry	M	Syracuse
Nakeie Montgomery	M	Duke
Bubba Fairman	M	Maryland
Jack Kelly	M	Penn State
Koby Smith	D	Towson
Curtis Corley	D	Maryland
Jack Rowlett	D	North Carolina
Mark Evanchick	D	Penn
Max Edelmann	G	Rutgers
Reed Junkin	G	Penn
Gerard Arceri	FO	Penn State
Kyle Gallagher	FO	Penn
Brett Kennedy	LSM	Syracuse
T.J. Comizio	SSDM	Villanova

HONORABLE MENTION
NAME
POS
COLLEGE
Simon Mathias	A	Penn
Matt Moore	A	Virginia
Brendan Sunday	A	Towson
Jake Carraway	A	Georgetown
Ethan Walker	A	Denver
Clarke Petterson A	Cornell
Brendan Nichtern	A	Army
Logan Wisnauskas	A	Maryland
Brendan Gleason	A	Notre Dame
Kieran Mullins	A	Rutgers
Kevin Lindley	A	Loyola
Ryan Lanchbury	A	Richmond
Adam Goldner	A	Penn
Tre Leclaire	A	Ohio State
Nate Solomon	A	Syracuse
Matt Gaudet	A	Yale
Connor Kirst	M	Villanova
Jack Tigh	M	Yale
Tyler Dunn	M	Penn
Tyson Gibson	M	Robert Morris
Jamie Trimboli	M	Syracuse
Colton Jackson	M	Denver
Jack Jasinski	M	Ohio State
Anthony DeMaio	M	Maryland
Timmy Kelly	M	North Carolina
Mitch Savoca	M	Richmond
Jack Kielty	D	Notre Dame
Gibson Smith	D	Georgetown
George Baughan	D	Princeton
Dylan Gaines	D	Denver
Kyle Pless	D	Rutgers
Logan Greco	D	Virginia
Tyson Bomberry	D	Syracuse
Nick Cardile	D	Penn State
Aidan Hynes	D	Yale
Matt Borges	D	Ohio State
Brandon Jones	D	Air Force
Matt DeLuca	G	Delaware
Colby Kneese	G	Penn State
Phil Goss	G	Brown
Tate Boyce	G	Providence
Conor Gaffney	FO	Lehigh
Justin Inacio	FO	Ohio State
Ryan McNulty	LSM	Loyola
Noah Richard	LSM	Marquette
Brandon Salvatore LSM	Cornell
Tommy Wright	LSM	Penn State
Peter Dearth	SSDM	Syracuse
Danny Logan	SSDM	Denver
John Daniggelis	SSDM	Yale
John Prendergast	SSDM	Duke

USILA
Loyola’s Pat Spencer has been named the national player of the year by the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association, which released its annual All-American teams and award winners Thursday.

Spencer, who finished his career as the NCAA’s all-time leader with 231 assists and as the No. 2 all-time scorer with 380 points, won the Lt. Raymond J. Enners Award as the most outstanding player in Division I.

Penn State’s Grant Ament, Army’s Johnny Surdick, UMass’ Sean Sconone and Towson’s Zach Goodrich won the remaining awards.

Ament, who owns the NCAA single-season record with 91 assists going into this weekend’s national semifinal against Yale, earned the Lt. Col. J.I. Turnbull Award given to the nation’s top attackman.

Surdick won the William C. Schmeisser Award as defensive player of the year, Sconone took home the Ensign C. Markland Kelly Jr. award for outstanding goalie, and Goodrich got the nod for the Lt. j.g. Donald MacLaughlin Jr. Award as the top midfielder.

The USILA All-American teams are listed below [above]. Virginia, making its first NCAA semifinal appearance since 2011 this weekend, leads all schools with three first-team selections. Fellow final four participants Penn State and Duke landed two players each on the first team, as did Loyola.

Date: May 30, 2019 08:02PM

Virginia beat Yale with great defense, solid goalie work, competitive FOGO play, and in general very physical play against a Yale team that likes to outmuscle its opponents. I don't see any reason why Cornell can't do exactly the same thing next year. I guess we could also use the magic long stick woodie, but for now I'll take great defense. Defense often wins championships.

Page: Previous12345 6 
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login