Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse 2019

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 23456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Cornell lacrosse 2019
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 07:15AM

Looking ahead to the 2019 Cornell lacrosse season already. We have a full-time, non-interim coach but that didn't happen until last week. We'll have to see how the incoming class stacks up. Also how Yale's incoming class stacks up. Harvard and Penn should also be good; can Princeton recover from a couple off years?

Cornell had nine players on the All-Ivy teams (red type below) and six return. The biggest losses are D Jake Pulver and G Christian Knight. Freshman Caelahn Bullen started four games in goal and had a record of 5-0. One of the incoming goalie recruits is Chase Ierlan, the brother of Albany FOGO TD Ierlan (about half the time, you see it spelled Lerlan from somebody who must have transcribed quickly from handwritten notes).

This is the Inside Lacrosse recruiting commits for Cornell. [www.insidelacrosse.com] Cornell's class is rated a B-minus but then IL gave all four championship weekend teams a B-minus (Monday's finalists) or B (Saturday's losers). The Inside Lacrosse Top 25 recruits [www.insidelacrosse.com] has the best player (A Joey Epstein) going to Hopkins, one to Yale (#6 A Matt Brandau), two to Harvard, one to Penn, and none to Cornell or Princeton.

What Cornell needs most is an undetectable human growth hormone for Jeff Teat, a weight-room program, a change in faceguarding rules, a Rob Pannell-incoming-recruit type who could make it impossible to isolate Teat, or tactics to #FreeJeff. That and a FOGO who against the best we face (Ierlan?) still wins a third of the draws. But first there's football and hockey.

FIRST TEAM ALL-IVY
*Ben Reeves, Yale (Sr., A – Macedon, N.Y.)
*Michael Sowers, Princeton (So., A – Dresher, Pa.)
*Jeff Teat, Cornell (So., A – Brampton, Ont.)
*Jack Tigh, Yale (Jr., M – Garden City, N.Y.)
Austin Sims, Princeton (Sr., M – Fairfield, Conn.)
Jordan Dowiak, Cornell (Sr., M – Long Valley, N.J)
*Jake Pulver, Cornell (Sr., D – Manlius, N.Y.)

*Chris Fake, Yale (Fr., D – Allentown, N.J.)
Mark Evanchick, Penn (So., D – Darien, Conn.)
*Connor Keating, Penn (Sr., LSM – Gladwyne, Pa.)
Tyler Warner, Yale (Sr., SSM – Freeport, N.Y.)
*Conor Mackie, Yale (Sr., FO – Glen Rock, N.J.)
Phil Goss, Brown (So., G – San Francisco, Calif.)

SECOND TEAM ALL-IVY^
Morgan Cheek, Harvard (Sr., A – Wellesley, Mass.)
Simon Mathias, Penn (Jr, A – Ridgefield, Conn.)
Jackson Morrill, Yale (So., A – Baltimore, Md.)
Jack Korzelius, Dartmouth (Sr., M – Purchase, N.Y.)
Jake McCulloch, Cornell (Jr., M – Stony Brook, N.Y.)
Joe Lang, Harvard (Sr., M – Mill Valley, Calif.)
George Baughan, Princeton (Fr., D – Wyndmoor, Pa.)
Chris Keating, Yale (Sr., D – Windham, N.H.)
JJ Ntshaykolo, Brown (Sr., D – San Francisco, Calif.)
Austin Meacham, Dartmouth (Jr., D – West Harrison, N.Y.)
Robert Mooney, Yale (Jr., LSM – Princeton, N.J.)
Jason Alessi, Yale (Sr., SSM – Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Ted Otten, Brown (Sr., FO – Wilton, Conn.)
Robert Shaw, Harvard (Sr., G – Canton, Mass.)

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-IVY
Jackson Newsome, Brown (Jr., A – Arlington, Va.)
Kevin McGeary, Penn (Sr., A – Newtown Square, Pa.)
Michael Panepinto, Brown (Jr., M – Needham, Mass.)
Tyler Dunn, Penn (Jr., Manhasset, N.Y.)
Joe Sessa, Yale (Jr., M – Slate Hill, N.Y.)
John Daniggelis, Yale (Jr., M – Saint James, N.Y.)
Fleet Wallace, Cornell (Jr., D – Richmond, Va.)
Joe Kearney, Harvard (Sr., D – Duxbury, Mass.)
Jerry O’Connor, Yale (Sr., D – North Palm Beach, Fla.)
Andrew Song, Princeton (Fr., LSM – Canton, Mass.)
Brandon Salvatore, Cornell (So., LSM – New Canaan, Conn.)
Ryan Bray, Cornell (Jr., SSM – Shoreham, N.Y.)
Paul Rasimowicz, Cornell (So., FO – Somerset, N.J.)

Tyler Blaisdell, Princeton (Sr., G – Hanover, Mass.)
Christian Knight, Cornell (Sr., G – Baltimore, Md.)
*unanimous selection

Note the NCAA tournament "Most Outstanding Player" (the redundancy makes me gag) went to Yale's Matt Gaudet, who doesn't show up on the All-Ivy list.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2018 07:37AM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019
Date: May 29, 2018 07:20AM

We should also wish that women's lacrosse builds to the competitiveness of women's hockey. Cornell was 7-8 this year.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019 schedule
Date: May 29, 2018 09:35AM

Is there even the framework of a 2019 schedule?

Albany again (good)? Bucknell or Lehigh? A Virginia or other southern name team? A Big Tenner? I miss playing Army because Michie Stadium is so nice (less so when there's still snow on the sidelines) but we need strong teams to help our SOS.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2019 recruits
Date: May 29, 2018 01:36PM

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 07:44AM

While watching last night's high school "championship" game I looked for a Hill Academy roster and came across this SI article on Hill from May 2016. Two items struck me from the article:

1. A quote from Casey Vock: "Everyone believes he [Jeff Teat] can elevate Cornell to where they would be a championship contender today if they had him." Prescient.

2. A Hill middie on Teat being shut off while playing at Hill: "When you try to lock off one player and remove that slide, it gives so much more time to develop offense and room to shoot. That is why we were able to put so many in on them [Culver] so fast."

I'm afraid that developing a five-on-five game that is at least as effective as having Teat not shut off is going to be the only effective way to deter or defeat the shut-off. Teat, as Carcaterra said during the ILT championship game, let's the game come to him. He is uncanny at assessing the situation on the field to decide when to attack and when not to. He'll touch the ball two or three or four times on a possession before making a move. Trying to force the ball into his stick will take away that capability and otherwise disrupt the offense.

This is going to be a very difficult thing for the coaching staff to figure out given the way Teat plays the game as opposed to a Pannell or a Reeves. It will likely require a shuffling of offensive personnel when Teat is shut off, getting a feeder like Donville on the field and someone who can beat his man from X, draw slides, and be able to feed the player left open to take advantage of the additional open space. I hope Milliman and staff can do it or it could be two frustrating seasons.

SI article is here for those who didn't see it at the time:

[www.si.com]

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2018 12:32PM

Al DeFlorio
While watching last night's high school "championship" game I looked for a Hill Academy roster and came across this SI article on Hill from May 2016. Two items struck me from the article:

1. A quote from Casey Vock: "Everyone believes he [Jeff Teat] can elevate Cornell to where they would be a championship contender today if they had him." Prescient.

2. A Hill middie on Teat being shut off while playing at Hill: "When you try to lock off one player and remove that slide, it gives so much more time to develop offense and room to shoot. That is why we were able to put so many in on them [Culver] so fast."

I'm afraid that developing a five-on-five game that is at least as effective as having Teat not shut off is going to be the only effective way to deter or defeat the shut-off. Teat, as Carcaterra said during the ILT championship game, let's the game come to him. He is uncanny at assessing the situation on the field to decide when to attack and when not to. He'll touch the ball two or three or four times on a possession before making a move. Trying to force the ball into his stick will take away that capability and otherwise disrupt the offense.

This is going to be a very difficult thing for the coaching staff to figure out given the way Teat plays the game as opposed to a Pannell or a Reeves. It will likely require a shuffling of offensive personnel when Teat is shut off, getting a feeder like Donville on the field and someone who can beat his man from X, draw slides, and be able to feed the player left open to take advantage of the additional open space. I hope Milliman and staff can do it or it could be two frustrating seasons.

[www.si.com]

Why not set up double screens across the middle as part of the flow of the offense? Or, if Teat's man can't slide, that would seem to set up enormous opportunities when Teat screens on or off ball. Placing him near the midline does not, in my unlettered opinion, seem the best option.

Posted by: Tom Lento (199.201.64.---)
Date: May 30, 2018 02:28PM

mike1960
Al DeFlorio

[www.si.com]

Why not set up double screens across the middle as part of the flow of the offense? Or, if Teat's man can't slide, that would seem to set up enormous opportunities when Teat screens on or off ball. Placing him near the midline does not, in my unlettered opinion, seem the best option.

If you're talking about having Teat set screens, there was a video breakdown of his game that captured some of those attempts (along with a bunch of other illustrative plays) from the Yale game in the ILT. To say Teat isn't very good at setting screens would be putting it charitably. I don't know that much about lacrosse but it was painfully obvious that the screens he was setting were all but useless. They didn't free the man and didn't force a slide - he might as well have been a pylon in a defensive footwork drill.

If you're talking about having others set screens to force the face guard to switch off that might work, but I don't know enough about the game to have an opinion on its potential effectiveness. I will say, from the player quotes I've been seeing the 5 on 5 strategy sounds pretty effective. It seems crappy, and it's going to be frustrating to watch if your expectation is that Teat will be dishing out 5 assists a game, but you do what you need to in order to win.

Date: May 30, 2018 05:04PM

99 points as a sophomore - does that turn out to be the high water mark for #51?

There is a chance we've figured out, here on the forum, how to #FreeJeff. But I'm also thinking that NLI Milliman and his cadre have been thinking on that as well and the fact that we lost to Maryland shows they didn't figure it out, either. Tey have some time to think on it before next February.

My solution is if Joey Epstein, attackman from Landon, MD, and the country's top recruit, decommits from Hopkins for Cornell, they can't cover both Epstein and Teat. Maybe he hasn't seen what the softer parts of Baltimore are really like. I drove by the Pimlico track at midnight earlier in the month and I won't do it again.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 06:42AM by billhoward.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 10:38PM

Is there a chance that Teat's career is over, if the team can't figure out how to counter the defense on him? I don't mean over as in he quits playing lacrosse, I mean over as in being considered a top player.

Posted by: semsox (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 10:58PM

It might be time to take a deep breath and trust that another year of development will be beneficial to all. Even with the shut off strategy dropping our offensive production the last quarter of the season, the team as a whole averaged 2 goals per game more than the 2017 squad with largely the same personnel. The only loss next year on the offensive end is Dowiak. Barring injury, we will have a top 5 offense next year. The 2018 team came into the year wanting to prove they belonged in the national conversation. The expectations and aspirations of the 2019 team will be higher than that.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: May 31, 2018 09:22AM

syracuse shut him off too and we did just fine. win some faceoffs.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 01:52PM

upprdeck

I'm greedy, though. I want to see Cornell win AND Teat get a lot of assists, simply because he's fun to watch when he's allowed to play. I fear, though, that against good teams, he'll be trapped by the lockoff and won't be able to contribute.

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 02:05PM

mike1960
Or, if Teat's man can't slide, that would seem to set up enormous opportunities when Teat screens on or off ball.

This seems to be what Yale did when other teams tried to shut off Matt Gaudett, although perhaps comparing him to Clarke Petterson rather than Jeff Teat is more apropos. Then again, Gaudett is 6'1" and 220, so he probably creates a better big-body screen and certainly is harder to move out of the way. (Yes, I know doing so is illegal, but it still happens.)

With both Lombardi and Coyle coming in next fall, I could see having them both on the field to counter SOT. Have one play behind at the X and one at midfield, along with some creative picks, inverts, and Petterson, Fletcher, and Doneville, we could have enough feeders and dodgers covered by shorties to make 6 v (5 + 1 SOT) a very successful strategy. Of course, this will depend on how quickly they adjust to the college game.

But size still matters. Coyle is 5'7" and 150, while Lombardi is 5'8" 180. A wonderful thing about lacrosse as a sport is that smaller, athletic players like these can absolutely be top-echelon, but for certain circumstances having a bigger player is an asset (e.g., Max Seibald @ 6'1" 215). Don't quote me on this, but I believe Yale on average had the biggest team in college lacrosse this year.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 06:56PM by Swampy.

Date: May 31, 2018 03:07PM

djk26
upprdeck

I'm greedy, though. I want to see Cornell win AND Teat get a lot of assists, simply because he's fun to watch when he's allowed to play. I fear, though, that against good teams, he'll be trapped by the lockoff and won't be able to contribute.
Yes, that's a big part of the enjoyment of watching this Cornell team. I fear that he'll be locked off by every team, good or not-so-good.

Date: May 31, 2018 04:17PM

Al DeFlorio

Yes, that's a big part of the enjoyment of watching this Cornell team. I fear that he'll be locked off by every team, good or not-so-good.

I fear that, too...but I'm hoping that part of that fear is irrational and based on my limited lacrosse IQ. There must be SOMETHING Cornell can do about this. There's no way that the lockoff just automatically takes the best player out of the game. Otherwise every single big attackman would be locked off and no player would ever score more than, say, 70 points in a season and we know that doesn't happen.

Date: May 31, 2018 07:51PM

Continued from the Cornell Lacrosse 2018 thread:

billhoward
Swampy
billhoward
Maybe Mike Schafer could talk to Milliman about making this a long-term career.
Given how many lacrosse players have been popping up who also play hockey (or is it hockey players who also play lacrosse?), they may have much more to talk about.
Had Matt Moulson picked up his crosse for the 2006 lacrosse season, at least in our dreams, we would have gone to the NCAA title game. We lost three games by four goals including a 10-9 first-round upset by UMass.

Congratulations to incoming GK, and Under Armour lacrosse AA, Chayse Ierlan on helping Victor lacrosse defend its fourth straight Section V championship and qualify for the Regional round in what Victor hopes will be successful defense of its fourth straight Class B state championship. It would be Ierlan's fourth year as Victor's starting goal keeper in lacrosse and his fourth year leading Victor to the state championship.

Also, for 2017-18 this would follow his fourth year as Victor's starting goalie in hockey and having led Victor to an undefeated season and state championship in hockey this past winter. For his efforts Ierlan was also named All-Greater Rochester Hockey Player of the Year.

When attending Cornell University next year, Ierlan (probably) hopes to bring his lacrosse save percentage, which is about 60%, up to match his hockey save percentage, which is over 95% woot.

Date: June 01, 2018 07:17AM

Ierlan has nothing to offer us for fall semester?

Date: June 01, 2018 10:10AM

billhoward

Not sure what you mean.

Who was the last Cornell athlete to play both hockey and lacrosse?

Date: June 01, 2018 10:34AM

Swampy
billhoward

Not sure what you mean.

Harry Orr? Does Bob Rule backing up Brian Cropper in 69-70 (but never playing) count?

Date: June 01, 2018 04:00PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
billhoward
Not sure what you mean.
Harry Orr? Does Bob Rule backing up Brian Cropper in 69-70 (but never playing) count?
And Glenn Mueller played basketball and lacrosse in 1971 and I believe 1972.

Date: June 01, 2018 04:01PM

Swampy
billhoward
Not sure what you mean. Who was the last Cornell athlete to play both hockey and lacrosse?
Is joke: What could he offer a school in the way of a fall sport if he plays winter and spring sports, too. Knowing that's only here for lax.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: June 02, 2018 07:48AM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
billhoward

Not sure what you mean.

Maybe you were tongue in cheek, but sure it counts, he did everything else the team did. For a competitor it's hard to practice every day and never play. It takes a certain mind-set.

Date: June 02, 2018 10:31AM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio
Swampy
billhoward

Not sure what you mean.

Maybe you were tongue in cheek, but sure it counts, he did everything else the team did. For a competitor it's hard to practice every day and never play. It takes a certain mind-set.

I think it would be really cool to have someone like Ierlan play GK for both hockey & lacrosse. And now that I understand Bill's joke, maybe fall soccer too.

But starting lacrosse season in February screws it all up. Maybe there's still a way to reschedule things.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2018 03:21PM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio
Swampy
billhoward

Not sure what you mean.

John Irving agreed in this memoir

Posted by: jkahn (---.183.233.68.naturalwireless.com)
Date: June 02, 2018 10:25PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
billhoward

Not sure what you mean.

Rule did play. Started the 3rd period in a game at Princeton late in the season in which we had a big lead, but got pulled after giving up 3 goals.

Date: June 06, 2018 02:03PM

This would certainly address the FOGO problem.

collegecrosse.com
Albany Great Danes sophomore face-off specialist TD Ierlan is looking to transfer out to another school, multiple sources have told College Crosse. WNY Lax also reported the probable transfer.

Marisa Ingemi has heard from multiple sources Ierlan will likely attend Cornell next year.

Ierlan’s brother, Chayse, will attend Cornell in the fall as an incoming goalie. Last year, the Big Red relied on sophomore Paul Rasimowicz, who went 51.8% on his draws last year.

TD Ierlan won 79% of his draws last year. The idea of his attending Cornell is almost too good to be true. But even if it is true, doesn't he have to sit out for a year after transferring?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: June 06, 2018 02:22PM

djk26
This would certainly address the FOGO problem.

collegecrosse.com
Albany Great Danes sophomore face-off specialist TD Ierlan is looking to transfer out to another school, multiple sources have told College Crosse. WNY Lax also reported the probable transfer.

Marisa Ingemi has heard from multiple sources Ierlan will likely attend Cornell next year.

Ierlan’s brother, Chayse, will attend Cornell in the fall as an incoming goalie. Last year, the Big Red relied on sophomore Paul Rasimowicz, who went 51.8% on his draws last year.

TD Ierlan won 79% of his draws last year. The idea of his attending Cornell is almost too good to be true. But even if it is true, doesn't he have to sit out for a year after transferring?
Not if Albany releases him.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 02:33PM

Ierlan story in IL today.

Face-off specialist TD Ierlan, the Albany star who completed the greatest face-off season of all-time in 2018, has been given his release to seek a transfer, multiple sources confirmed.

A source said his release is currently conditional and excludes teams that are on the 2019 schedule. However, there is an appeal process that could result in him being released to everyone.

Releases do not 100% mean that a player will not return. There is still a chance he could be a Great Dane in 2019.

Coach Scott Marr would not comment when reached by text message.

Two schools most rumored to be a destination — Cornell and Syracuse — are on the 2019 schedule, so those coaches are not allowed to contact Ierlan. Ierlan’s younger brother Chayse, an Under Armour All-American goalie, will attend Cornell this fall. Unconfirmed reports have other destinations not on the 2019 schedule in the mix.

Ierlan won 79.1% of face-offs in 2018, the greatest single season in NCAA lacrosse history. The Danes graduate star attackman Connor Fields and his linemate Justin Reh, midfielder Kyle McClancy, longstick Troy Reh and others.

Date: June 06, 2018 05:25PM

Drop 'em from the schedule!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2018 06:40PM

Al DeFlorio

I had the same thought, although I suppose you would prefer not to cause any ill will.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-203-32.myvzw.com)
Date: June 06, 2018 07:17PM

How long do I get to enjoy this possibility until it’s announced he’s going to Syracuse, driving me to claw my eyes out of their sockets?

Date: June 06, 2018 09:24PM

JasonN95
How long do I get to enjoy this possibility until it’s announced he’s going to Syracuse, driving me to claw my eyes out of their sockets?

Jason, this made me both laugh and gag...yikes.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2018 09:57AM

The other Ierlan (Cornell-bound goalie Chayse) scores first goal in Victor's semifinal win in NYS lax tournament.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: June 07, 2018 12:37PM

George64
The other Ierlan (Cornell-bound goalie Chayse) scores first goal in Victor's semifinal win in NYS lax tournament.

www.democratandchronicle.com

This game was so one-sided that Ierlan — yes, the goalie — outscored the entire ES-M team in the first quarter. During a clear less than 30 seconds into the opening period, Ierlan ran straight down the middle of the field, over the center line, and when no one came to cut him off, he just kept going and ultimately fired a bounce shot past Spartans goalie Owen Anzalone.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 07, 2018 03:01PM

Al DeFlorio

Ierlan was granted a full release by UAlbany.

Date: June 07, 2018 04:06PM

pfibiger
Al DeFlorio

Ierlan was granted a full release by UAlbany.
Not surprised. Now, wait and see.

Posted by: Swampy (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: June 07, 2018 10:33PM

marty
George64

www.democratandchronicle.com

This game was so one-sided that Ierlan — yes, the goalie — outscored the entire ES-M team in the first quarter. During a clear less than 30 seconds into the opening period, Ierlan ran straight down the middle of the field, over the center line, and when no one came to cut him off, he just kept going and ultimately fired a bounce shot past Spartans goalie Owen Anzalone.

Y'know if we have a backlog at GK and Chayse is not playing hockey as well as lacrosse, he might spell one of the offensive middies or perhaps be involved in a surprise midfield switch (ssom stays back to keep us onside & GK crosses over) to help break the SOT.

Posted by: Chuck Henderson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2018 03:13AM

Ierlan won 79.1% of face-offs in 2018, the greatest single season in NCAA lacrosse history.

Greatest season since what year? Memory can be tricky, but I think Bruce Pfann ('59) probably had a higher percent. There were games when he didn't lose a single faceoff. I remember such a game when Cornell beat Syracuse pretty handily, but that was shortly after Jim Brown graduated (he took some faceoffs). Those were great games on Lower Alumni Field, especially versus Syracuse and Princeton. The statistics on the Cornell lacrosse web site don't go back that far.

It seems like an overly obvious idea, so there must be reasons it would not work, but to get Teat freed up at least a few additional times why couldn't they have him swap with a midfielder on some transition plays (when a midfielder is not deep in the defensive zone) so Teat can come in the offensive zone running (the player faceguarding him is usually a defenseman who would have to catch up). This would be a little like his taking the ball on the on a restart.

Count me with those who feel kind of sick about Yale's winning, especially with the hockey win as well. It doesn't seem like the proper order of things.

Date: June 08, 2018 11:43AM

Chuck Henderson
Count me with those who feel kind of sick about Yale's winning, especially with the hockey win as well. It doesn't seem like the proper order of things.
Once it came to championship Monday, the alternative was rooting for Duke. I wish Brown had made it to the championship game in 2016, too.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 07:58AM

Chuck Henderson

Ierlan won 79.1% of face-offs in 2018, the greatest single season in NCAA lacrosse history.

Greatest season since what year? Memory can be tricky, but I think Bruce Pfann ('59) probably had a higher percent. There were games when he didn't lose a single faceoff. I remember such a game when Cornell beat Syracuse pretty handily, but that was shortly after Jim Brown graduated (he took some faceoffs). Those were great games on Lower Alumni Field, especially versus Syracuse and Princeton. The statistics on the Cornell lacrosse web site don't go back that far.

It seems like an overly obvious idea, so there must be reasons it would not work, but to get Teat freed up at least a few additional times why couldn't they have him swap with a midfielder on some transition plays (when a midfielder is not deep in the defensive zone) so Teat can come in the offensive zone running (the player faceguarding him is usually a defenseman who would have to catch up). This would be a little like his taking the ball on the on a restart.

Yale athletics are stronger than Harvard's now, given they also were Ivy champs in football.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: June 11, 2018 10:37AM

Chuck Henderson

Greatest season since what year?

The NCAA's official records start in '71, so best work since then. Bruce may have had a better season, but the Cornell record book doesn't seem to go back to the 50's either.

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 12:39PM

Per an Albany-fan poster today on laxpower: "TD was in Ithaca this past weekend..."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 12:53PM

CU77
Per an Albany-fan poster today on laxpower: "TD was in Ithaca this past weekend..."
He came to Casablanca for the waters.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2018 02:08PM

CU77

He’d be doing his parents a real favor if he came to Cornell. They wouldn’t have to travel to two places for games and they’d avoid the discomfort of having children on opposing sides in the Cornell-Syracuse games. (That’s what I’m telling myself.)

Posted by: CU77 (---.wireless.ucsb.edu)
Date: June 11, 2018 03:11PM

Well the early rumors were Cornell specific. A contact of mine in the athletic dept at another school (not Cornell or Albany) told me in early May to be on the lookout for a HUGE transfer to Cornell (but did not give me a name). This is not to say that the rumors were necessarily right, or that TD could not change his mind even if he was thinking of coming to Cornell originally. He will surely be contacted by many coaches, and who knows what they will offer? Still, with his brother slated to come to Cornell, and with the Cornell team's fortunes apparently on the rise, we can all hope for the best.

Date: June 17, 2018 03:04PM

Date: June 17, 2018 08:15PM

He's a member of the Albany chess team.

That's a man I can support.

Posted by: margolism (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2018 12:52PM

Or is it? [url= ]Link[/url]

Date: June 18, 2018 02:21PM

Easy come, easy go. Will mom go to the Cornell game, dad to the Yale game, then switch the following week?

Date: June 18, 2018 03:34PM

Inside Lacrosse
[www.insidelacrosse.com]
Ierlan, when reached via text Monday afternoon, said: “I’m still unsure of where I’m going as of right now.”...Coaches at both schools have confirmed Ierlan’s interest, but neither has confirmed a final decision or admission, though, per sources an application was due last week.

Wow. I hope this goes the Big Red's way.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-3.myvzw.com)
Date: June 18, 2018 04:05PM

Congrats to everyone on this forum who was happy for Yale's success, especially their national championship.

Date: June 18, 2018 04:26PM

BearLover
Congrats to everyone on this forum who was happy for Yale's success, especially their national championship.
As opposed to the joy of Duke winning.

Date: June 18, 2018 04:28PM

BearLover
"Who'd have thought the Mua Mua understood the callback?"

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 05:53PM

and other txts where he says he hasnt decided yet. wonder if money comes into play here

Date: June 18, 2018 06:05PM

billhoward
BearLover
The guy's just a whiner, Bill. Always has been.

And, yes, I'm delighted that an Ivy won the lacrosse championship.

Date: June 18, 2018 06:28PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

I am delighted as well. Additional note: I'd like to hate Duke as much as the next rational human being, but they post all their coaching videos. Good on them. Those things are invaluable.

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2018 06:43PM

mike1960
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

I am delighted as well. Additional note: I'd like to hate Duke as much as the next rational human being, but they post all their coaching videos. Good on them. Those things are invaluable.
Also gotta say, have you ever visited their campus? Damn it is gorgeous.... even by Cornell alum standards.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2018 06:50PM

Dunno, Cornell’s campus is gorgeous. And I prefer being a student in a fabulous college town to New Haven.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2018 07:09PM

CAS
Dunno, Cornell’s campus is gorgeous. And I prefer being a student in a fabulous college town to New Haven.

I prefer that too. Sherman set the "Wayback Machine" for August 28, 1970.

Date: June 18, 2018 07:51PM

KenP
Also gotta say, have you ever visited their campus? Damn it is gorgeous.... even by Cornell alum standards.
They ripped off Yale's campus; big whoop. And their student body is the only one that rivals Stanford for the vacuousness of privilege.

Date: June 18, 2018 08:12PM

CAS
I think he meant Dyke's campus, not Yale's.

Date: June 18, 2018 08:15PM

Al DeFlorio
CAS
I thought he was making a clever comment in Duke's theft. It really is the same campus.

Duke stole Yale's buildings. Stanford stole Harvard's faculty.

Posted by: RichH (159.192.216.---)
Date: June 18, 2018 09:27PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
CAS
I thought he was making a clever comment in Duke's theft. It really is the same campus.

Harvard’s faculty? Seven of the original fifteen Stanford faculty bolted Ithaca, thanks to David Starr Jordan.

[talk.collegeconfidential.com]

Posted by: KenP (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 06:51AM

I was referring to Duke. And I don’t know or care who stole what. It’s a beautiful campus and like Stanford is an example of athletic scholarships coexisting successfully with academic excellence.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: June 19, 2018 06:58AM

KenP
I was referring to Duke. And I don’t know or care who stole what. It’s a beautiful campus and like Stanford is an example of athletic scholarships coexisting successfully with academic excellence.

The question is whether there is academic excellence, or even competence, in their athletes.

Date: June 19, 2018 09:21AM

RichH
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
CAS

Harvard’s faculty? Seven of the original fifteen Stanford faculty bolted Ithaca, thanks to David Starr Jordan.

[talk.collegeconfidential.com]

Interesting. I was referring primarily to the social sciences, where they rather famously just took Talcott Parsons' entourage and plunked them down on the Farm. I was one of the third generation of that group.

It didn't take.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 09:22AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.ftas.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 11:44PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

"Just a whiner," or, just a regular sports fan? Go on a Duke Basketball forum, tell everyone how you're rooting for UNC in the game against Kentucky, and see how you fare.

There are costs to Cornell when its rivals do well. This is one of them.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 11:45PM by BearLover.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 11:50PM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

"Just a whiner," or, just a regular sports fan? Go on a Duke Basketball forum, tell everyone how you're rooting for UNC in the game against Kentucky, and see how you fare.

That you'll say the same goddamn thing every time, ad nauseam?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 20, 2018 08:11AM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

You're a whiner. And annoying. And embarrassing.

And I don't give a shit what Duke fans think. You, too, for that matter.

Date: June 20, 2018 09:01AM

BearLover

Ierlan may go to Yale, which would indeed suck, but there's been no official word yet.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-203-32.myvzw.com)
Date: June 20, 2018 09:25AM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

Yeah, because my statement was definitely specific to Duke fans.

We're potentially losing out on the biggest transfer in the country because one of our rivals started winning. I stopped harping awhile ago on the point that our rivals doing well will hurt us, but this seems like a very appropriate time to return to that argument given how clear the causality is.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2018 10:00AM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

We're potentially losing out on the biggest transfer in the country because one of our rivals started winning. I stopped harping awhile ago on the point that our rivals doing well will hurt us, but this seems like a very appropriate time to return to that argument given how clear the causality is.

That makes no sense. We ourselves finished among the top 8 teams in the country in 2018, and with our without him we're poised to make another deep run next year. Yale lost a lot more talent than we did (including of course the fantastic Ben Reeves), so if he were making his choice from a pure "which team has the best chance to win it all next year" standpoint, that would be us. While I'll be a bit baffled if Ierlan in fact choose Yale, he would be choosing to go there for some other reason than because Yale gives him the better chance to win.

Date: June 20, 2018 10:15AM

scoop85
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

That makes no sense. We ourselves finished among the top 8 teams in the country in 2018, and with our without him we're poised to make another deep run next year. Yale lost a lot more talent than we did (including of course the fantastic Ben Reeves), so if he were making his choice from a pure "which team has the best chance to win it all next year" standpoint, that would be us. While I'll be a bit baffled if Ierlan in fact choose Yale, he would be choosing to go there for some other reason than because Yale gives him the better chance to win.
But he would never be considering it if not for Yale's recent run of success. Just like he probably wouldn't be considering us if we hadn't finished in the final eight this year and had a history of winning.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2018 10:15AM by BearLover.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: June 20, 2018 12:01PM

BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

But he would never be considering it if not for Yale's recent run of success. Just like he probably wouldn't be considering us if we hadn't finished in the final eight this year and had a history of winning.
The reason Yale has had a run of success wasn't because of their history of success, so the fact that Ierlan might choose them may have something to do with whatever made the other players choose them. You never stopped beating this drum.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2018 12:06PM

BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

But then it would have been Brown, or Princeton or Harvard, etc., whoever was the "it" team. In lacrosse the Ivies have almost always had one or more elite programs in a given year, and since Ierlan seems to be putting a priority on academics, another Ivy will almost certainly have been in the mix anyway--this time it just happens to be Yale.

Date: June 20, 2018 02:40PM

The more success a program has, the better recruits it gets. It's possible to build a great program over several years, increasing the quality of recruits as you win. As they did in hockey, Yale took about 8 years to go from a middling program to a national power. It's usually hard to prove a rival's success hurt us in recruiting, but in this case it's pretty easy to reason that if Cornell were the clear best Ivy, as it was for most a ten-year stretch until a few years ago, this FOGO guy wouldn't have as much of a choice. On average, we get better recruits when we win more than our rivals, since we compete with our rivals for recruits. Anyway, I'm going to drop this and raise it again in a few weeks, and then a few weeks after that, and th

Date: June 20, 2018 03:27PM

The other Ierlan (Chayse).

Date: June 20, 2018 07:30PM

BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

Are you really so clueless that you think the only reason someone might choose Yale over Cornell is because they won a lacrosse championship? You've been beating this uninformed drum for years and, pal, it makes no sense. Really.

Date: June 20, 2018 08:54PM

Jeff Teat, Brennan Donville, and Jason Noble named to Canada's 2018 world championship team.

Date: June 20, 2018 10:07PM

Al DeFlorio
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

Are you really so clueless that you think the only reason someone might choose Yale over Cornell is because they won a lacrosse championship? You've been beating this uninformed drum for years and, pal, it makes no sense. Really.
You sure throw around a lot of insults.

But, okay. You're being obtuse. I assume you understand more than one factor can go into a decision. Would you like to hazard a guess as to why this kid, with presumably no relation to Yale whatsoever, chose them as a finalist in his transfer decision, but not Harvard or Princeton or any other Ivy besides the one where his brother will be playing next year? Could it be that Yale has had sustained success over the past eight seasons and just won a national championship?

Posted by: KenP (137.75.68.---)
Date: June 21, 2018 08:11AM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

But, okay. You're being obtuse. I assume you understand more than one factor can go into a decision. Would you like to hazard a guess as to why this kid, with presumably no relation to Yale whatsoever, chose them as a finalist in his transfer decision, but not Harvard or Princeton or any other Ivy besides the one where his brother will be playing next year? Could it be that Yale has had sustained success over the past eight seasons and just won a national championship?
If he were truly split about which school would be best for his lacrosse play and decided to look at academics, school reputation and strength of alumni network... I bleed carnelian but c'mon guys.

Posted by: marty (199.168.151.---)
Date: June 21, 2018 10:24AM

KenP
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
scoop85
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
BearLover
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
BearLover

If he were truly split about which school would be best for his lacrosse play and decided to look at academics, school reputation and strength of alumni network... I bleed carnelian but c'mon guys.

You're ignoring that lucrative professional lacrosse contract that he'll land after his college years. Who needs "Boola boola" when you've got the moola moola? demented

Date: June 21, 2018 11:24AM

Sorry to clutter your thinking with facts but let's look at what's happened since you bellyached after Yale's 2013 NCAA hockey championship. In the five seasons since, Yale's record's been 82-60-20 while Cornell's was 90-50-25. In the two season's since the last members of Yale's championship team graduated in 2016, Yale's gone 28-30-6, while Cornell's been 46-15-7.

Some recruiting bonanza for Yale, huh? I think you just have a hyperactive envy gene.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2018 01:35PM

Al DeFlorio
Sorry to clutter your thinking with facts but let's look at what's happened since you bellyached after Yale's 2013 NCAA hockey championship. In the five seasons since, Yale's record's been 82-60-20 while Cornell's was 90-50-25. In the two season's since the last members of Yale's championship team graduated in 2016, Yale's gone 28-30-6, while Cornell's been 46-15-7.

Some recruiting bonanza for Yale, huh? I think you just have a hyperactive envy gene.

Thanks for posting this Al. In the offseason I'm not as regular on eLynah, but as I was reading this thread I had the same thought about Yale being a "national power". Yale hit gold that year, but they wen't even a national power then. It was a series of very fortunate events that allowed a very good team to win. Everyone expected them to continue, but as you point out, they basically became an also ran after that.

Date: June 21, 2018 02:04PM

Jim Hyla
Yale hit gold that year, but they wen't even a national power then. It was a series of very fortunate events that allowed a very good team to win. Everyone expected them to continue, but as you point out, they basically became an also ran after that.
The ironic thing is Yale actually did have a title-level dominant team the prior few years but always potted out. Then they backed into the Show with their weakest team and everything just happened to go their way.

This as opposed to U who made the most of the best chance they'll ever have. And Q who had two very, very good looks but just ran out of gas.

Just. Get. In. If we can get in 16 more times in my lifetime I'll get to see one title.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 02:06PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: June 21, 2018 02:48PM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
Yale hit gold that year, but they wen't even a national power then. It was a series of very fortunate events that allowed a very good team to win. Everyone expected them to continue, but as you point out, they basically became an also ran after that.
The ironic thing is Yale actually did have a title-level dominant team the prior few years but always potted out. Then they backed into the Show with their weakest team and everything just happened to go their way.

This as opposed to U who made the most of the best chance they'll ever have. And Q who had two very, very good looks but just ran out of gas.

Just. Get. In. If we can get in 16 more times in my lifetime I'll get to see one title.

At the time I thought that Yale's secret weapon was Keith Allain. Now, not so much.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2018 05:11PM

marty
Trotsky
Jim Hyla

At the time I thought that Yale's secret weapon was Keith Allain. Now, not so much.

Interesting point. Remarkably, Cornell continually sits at or near the top in hockey and lacrosse, although of course we have down periods, esp. when we have such exogenous things as hockey's reconstruction when MS decided we needed to be faster & more skilled even if this means smaller or the "Noel Holes" caused by firing Deluca & then Kerwit's "resignation." We haven't won any brass rings in a long time, but I think in this century we've had teams in both hockey & lacrosse capable of winning a NC. We've had shitty luck in both.

To win a NC, you have to get to the Final 4. At that point, all teams are excellent. There have been teams that regularly make it in hockey, but I don't remember any that either win or place year after year. Ditto for lacrosse. MD has been getting there, but only won it last year for the first time in ages. The days when 1-2 dominant teams (e.g., BU & Cornell in hockey) take turns are over. Duke in lacrosse may be the closest to a exception.

With the Ivy League's expanded "need-based" financial aid, the recruiting gap against athletic-scholarship schools in both sports has narrowed, although HYP's larger endowments give them an advantage over the rest of the Ivies and adds to their already considerable "prestige" advantages. We're very lucky that Harvard has had coaches who can recruit but not use to full advantage the talent they attract.

Remember, we handily beat Yale in lacrosse this year. I know Yale fans think the fact that Cornell & Yale split their two games shows the teams were more or less equal and Yale did not play up to its potential in the ILT, but I think Cornell's coaches took a rather disorganized team at the start of the season and turned it into a top-4 power with a big asterisk. The asterisk is that the team is vulnerable to SOT. If they fix this for next year and rebuild the defense, we should be the favorite to win the Ivies. If we win the Ierlan lottery, we have as good a shot or better at winning the NC as anyone.

Let's hope Andy Shay follows in Keith Allain's footsteps.

Date: June 21, 2018 05:42PM

Swampy
To win a NC, you have to get to the Final 4. At that point, all teams are excellent. There have been teams that regularly make it in hockey, but I don't remember any that either win or place year after year.

BC had a GREAT run. Win or place in 98, 00, 01, 06, 07, 08, 10, 12. 8 finals in 15 seasons, with 4 titles.

UMD just did it back-to-back. Minny and Denver won back-to-back titles this century. Q placed twice in 4 years. Wisco 2 finals in 5 years,

That's it for this century.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 05:44PM by Trotsky.

Date: June 21, 2018 06:56PM

TD going to Yale

Date: June 21, 2018 07:41PM

margolism
TD going to Yale

Daily Messenger article

Date: June 21, 2018 09:23PM

margolism
TD going to Yale

Ouch. I knew that having him on our team was too good to be true. I can't wish him well in lacrosse, but I wish him well in life. I wish his brother well in both. ;-)

I still think we will be improved in faceoff next year. Not as much as Yale, but with Paul Rasimowicz having another year of experience and with the incoming Mitchell Rothstein, we should hold on our own.

This is bad news, no doubt, but let's not assume this kills our chances of winning the Ivy League next year.

Date: June 21, 2018 10:25PM

I actually feel bad for the incom8ng Yale FOGO who probably assumed he would be a starter as a frosh.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2018 11:14PM

margolism
I actually feel bad for the incom8ng Yale FOGO who probably assumed he would be a starter as a frosh.
maybe he's looking to transfer

Date: June 22, 2018 01:07AM

George64
margolism
TD going to Yale

Daily Messenger article

Totally sucks!

Date: June 22, 2018 01:10AM

djk26
margolism
TD going to Yale

Ouch. I knew that having him on our team was too good to be true. I can't wish him well in lacrosse, but I wish him well in life. I wish his brother well in both. ;-)

I still think we will be improved in faceoff next year. Not as much as Yale, but with Paul Rasimowicz having another year of experience and with the incoming Mitchell Rothstein, we should hold on our own.

This is bad news, no doubt, but let's not assume this kills our chances of winning the Ivy League next year.

We beat them this year. We'll be better next year. I like our chances.

Date: June 22, 2018 01:38AM

mike1960
djk26
margolism
TD going to Yale

We just have to overcome SOT.

I do like how our FOGOs improved this year. It says a great deal about the coaching.

Remember Jake Pulver's decision to commit to Cornell while he was visiting Yale. I guess TD's decision to go Ely rather than Ezra makes us even.

Date: June 22, 2018 09:37AM

Have to say, if I were an undergraduate thinking of majoring in economics, the program description on Yale's web site, with its emphasis on non-profits, social justice, public policy, and global issues, would be much more attractive than Cornell's, with its emphasis on bureaucratic things like prerequisites and required courses.

Date: June 22, 2018 10:05AM

Swampy
mike1960
djk26
margolism
TD going to Yale

We just have to overcome SOT.

I do like how our FOGOs improved this year. It says a great deal about the coaching.

Remember Jake Pulver's decision to commit to Cornell while he was visiting Yale. I guess TD's decision to go Ely rather than Ezra makes us even.

Dominating FOGO Kevin Reisman appears to have made the transition to coaching. He's done a great job for us this year.

Date: June 22, 2018 10:35AM

Swampy
Have to say, if I were an undergraduate thinking of majoring in economics, the program description on Yale's web site, with its emphasis on non-profits, social justice, public policy, and global issues, would be much more attractive than Cornell's, with its emphasis on bureaucratic things like prerequisites and required courses.

Yale's econ major website is more attractive, no doubt. But the first two sentences on that site...yeesh.

Yale econ website
So glad you are interested in learning more about majoring in economics at Yale. Reasonably given its name, many people think economics is the study of the economy including recessions and inflation and perhaps stocks and bonds as well.

That first sentence--who is glad? The placement of the first three words in the second sentence seems wrong.

All right--I'm contributing to too much thread drift. Go Big Red, beat Yale (in lacrosse.)

Date: June 22, 2018 09:40PM

Al DeFlorio

Yale has a great incoming recruiting class, second in the ECAC only to Harvard's. They've missed the NCAAs twice in a row after making it 6/8 years--something Cornell has never done under Schafer. It's way too early to conclude anything about the direction of Yale's hockey program.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2018 09:41PM by BearLover.

Page:  1 23456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login