Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Wrestling [2017-18]

Posted by ugarte 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wrestling [2017-18]
Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2018 10:43PM

JasonN95
CU77
A terrific match and a fantastic win!

Is the replay online that anyone has seen?

It should be on watchespn sometime after 11 PM, when the championships are completed.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 10:50PM by CU77.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2018 11:14PM

JasonN95
CU77
A terrific match and a fantastic win!

Is the replay online that anyone has seen?
it may be archived on watchespn - but it should show up on youtube soon if it isn't. you'd have to skip past the 125 and 133 finals to get to yianni's match but to be honest it was 10 insanely good matches.

Date: March 17, 2018 11:28PM

Diakomihalis's final was so great.

No scoring in the first period.

Yianni chose neutral to start the second period because even though he beat Meredith when they wrestled early in the season, he had trouble getting off of bottom and there is no reason to risk the ride. He scored the first points of the match on a takedown and gave up a quick escape to make the score 2-1. That's how the period ended.

Meredith chose bottom to start the third and quickly escaped to tie the score. About 30 seconds later, Meredith was able to convert a shot for the takedown and a 4-2 lead. It took a bit, but Yianni got out in ~40 seconds - fast enough to avoid the point for riding time but still there was under a minute left and he was trailing 4-3. With ~20 seconds left, Meredith took another shot and Yianni was able to counter and not only take Meredith down but expose his back to the mat for a 2 count and two back points to go up 7-4, then hold on for the final 10 seconds for the win. Dramatic and unbelievable. I can't believe we have three more years of this guy.

You can see the winning move embedded in the Cornell recap. It's a very good recap of the match.

Meanwhile, everything that had to go right for us in the team race, did. Cornell finishes in 7th place, marking the 11th straight year in the top 10.

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2018 03:19AM

Complete championship replay:

[www.espn.com]

Go to the 36:00 mark for Yianni's match. Bonus: color commentary by Kyle Dake!

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-70-209-132.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2018 08:37AM

CU77
Complete championship replay:

[www.espn.com]

Go to the 36:00 mark for Yianni's match. Bonus: color commentary by Kyle Dake!

Thanks. Enjoyed the match and Kyle.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2018 12:24PM

ugarte
With ~20 seconds left, Meredith took another shot and Yianni was able to counter and not only take Meredith down but expose his back to the mat for a 2 count and two back points to go up 7-4, then hold on for the final 10 seconds for the win. Dramatic and unbelievable. I can't believe we have three more years of this guy.

What a poised young man - in the match, in the post-match interview, and in the press conference.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2018 06:06PM

ugarte
CONGRATULATIONS TO NATIONAL CHAMPION,TRUE FRESHMAN YIANNI DIAKOMIHALIS! OH MY GOD I'M FLYING!
Yeah, congratulations, and Ugarte you've in your joy fallen to the NCAA BS term "true freshman." That's a sort of retronym, like corded drill or (thank you Wm Safire) English-language radio. There's "freshman" and "redshirt freshman."

This is awesome and somewhat unexpected.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2018 07:08PM

Casper Star-Tribune on the 141 final:

[trib.com]

Date: March 18, 2018 10:40PM

billhoward
ugarte
CONGRATULATIONS TO NATIONAL CHAMPION,TRUE FRESHMAN YIANNI DIAKOMIHALIS! OH MY GOD I'M FLYING!
Yeah, congratulations, and Ugarte you've in your joy fallen to the NCAA BS term "true freshman." That's a sort of retronym, like corded drill or (thank you Wm Safire) English-language radio. There's "freshman" and "redshirt freshman."

It is a retronym, but it's necessary. Why would you have anything against retronyms? Once redshirts become ubiquitous - and they certainly are in wrestling - the retronym becomes necessary to avoid ambiguity. Hell, he's even a true freshman by Ivy standards. Darmstadt and Dean, for example, both took "greyshirt" years at Finger Lakes CC for a year and weren't officially affiliated with the program. Redshirts at non-Ivy schools are enrolled as students and practice with the team but don't burn eligibility by competing for the school. This time last year, Yianni was in high school.

Date: March 19, 2018 06:39AM

ugarte
billhoward
ugarte

This time last year, Yianni was in high school.
And not able to wrestle recovering from a broken elbow..

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 19, 2018 10:35AM

Golic mentioned Yianni on radio this morning

Date: March 19, 2018 05:34PM

billhoward

Ugarte
It is a retronym, but it's necessary. Why would you have anything against retronyms? Once redshirts become ubiquitous - and they certainly are in wrestling - the retronym becomes necessary to avoid ambiguity. Hell, he's even a true freshman by Ivy standards. Darmstadt and Dean, for example, both took "greyshirt" years at Finger Lakes CC for a year and weren't officially affiliated with the program. Redshirts at non-Ivy schools are enrolled as students and practice with the team but don't burn eligibility by competing for the school. This time last year, Yianni was in high school.

I have to agree with Bill. To me freshman always meant and still means a first-year student. No additional qualifier is necessary.

Malia Obama took a gap year and is now just a Harvard freshman. Many Ivy athletes prep for a year after high school to mature physically, hone their athletic skills, and/or improve their grades. Rob Panell, Deerfield Academy, comes to mind. As far as I know, no one made a distinction between Rob and other freshman lacrosse players. Dick Bertrand played on the freshman hockey team after serving as a Toronto policeman. Cornell welcomes military veterans into each freshman class. “Freshman” and “true freshman” is an unnecessary academic distinction. “Redshirt freshmen” may be academic sophomores, or not.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 19, 2018 05:51PM

George64
billhoward

Ugarte

I have to agree with Bill. To me freshman always meant and still means a first-year student. No additional qualifier is necessary.

Malia Obama took a gap year and is now just a Harvard freshman. Many Ivy athletes prep for a year after high school to mature physically, hone their athletic skills, and/or improve their grades. Rob Panell, Deerfield Academy, comes to mind. As far as I know, no one made a distinction between Rob and other freshman lacrosse players. Dick Bertrand played on the freshman hockey team after serving as a Toronto policeman. Cornell welcomes military veterans into each freshman class. “Freshman” and “true freshman” is an unnecessary academic distinction. “Redshirt freshmen” may be academic sophomores, or not.
it isn't an academic distinction, it's a sports-specific competitive distinction. disagree all you want. you're wrong. the retronym provides necessary context in discussions about sports. "acoustic guitar" is a retronym but without it "guitar" is not a default, it's an ambiguity.

Date: March 19, 2018 06:04PM

George64
billhoward

Ugarte

The term redshirt applies to a freshman who was enrolled at the college and was taking courses at the college for a year but was not participating in the varsity program in order to preserve eligibility. Neither of your examples fits that situation. Ugarte is correct in saying the qualifier "true" is necessary when discussing a freshman in a sport where redshirting is common (e.g., wrestling) to distinguish between a freshman who arrived on campus that year vs. one who had already spent a year working out with the team under the team's coaches during his "true" freshman year.

Pannell and Bertrand were "true" freshmen when they arrived on campus. Freshmen did not play varsity sports in the Bertrand undergraduate era but rules changed so Pannell did...as a "true" freshman, regardless of his so-called postgraduate year at Deerfield.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 06:06PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2018 06:12PM

They should adopt the high school convention of n letters in sport x. Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior are where you are as a student. They only relate to sports as a useful datum like height. They aren't changed by your red shirt status no matter what the NC$$ thinks.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 06:14PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 20, 2018 02:20PM

Al DeFlorio

Pannell and Bertrand were "true" freshmen when they arrived on campus. Freshmen did not play varsity sports in the Bertrand undergraduate era but rules changed so Pannell did...as a "true" freshman, regardless of his so-called postgraduate year at Deerfield.

The point I tried to make, but unsuccessfully, was that “true” is unnecessary. Malia, Pannell, Bertrand, military veterans, Dean and Darmstadt all became freshmen when they matriculated, just like Yianni who came to Cornell directly from high school. During your first academic year, you’re a freshman, and no further qualifier is necessary. I think commentators only need to distinguish “redshirt freshmen” from other freshman athletes, because they maybe (hopefully) no longer freshmen, but to each his own. BTW, what do we call someone who was redshirted for a year, but graduates in four years and then uses his/her final year of eligibility as a graduate student?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 20, 2018 02:51PM

George64
Al DeFlorio

The point I tried to make, but unsuccessfully, was that “true” is unnecessary. Malia, Pannell, Bertrand, military veterans, Dean and Darmstadt all became freshmen when they matriculated, just like Yianni who came to Cornell directly from high school. During your first academic year, you’re a freshman, and no further qualifier is necessary. I think commentators only need to distinguish “redshirt freshmen” from other freshman athletes, because they maybe (hopefully) no longer freshmen, but to each his own. BTW, what do we call someone who was redshirted for a year, but graduates in four years and then uses his/her final year of eligibility as a graduate student?
a "graduate student" also "not in the ivy league"

Date: March 20, 2018 03:08PM

ugarte
George64
BTW, what do we call someone who was redshirted for a year, but graduates in four years and then uses his/her final year of eligibility as a graduate student?

Okay, so why not call a “redshirt freshman” a sophomore? The problem we have is conflating academic standing with athletic eligibility.

Date: March 20, 2018 03:29PM

George64
ugarte
George64
BTW, what do we call someone who was redshirted for a year, but graduates in four years and then uses his/her final year of eligibility as a graduate student?

Okay, so why not call a “redshirt freshman” a sophomore? The problem we have is conflating academic standing with athletic eligibility.
Because it's easier than saying "a sophomore academically but only now using his first year of varsity eligibility."

Date: March 20, 2018 03:39PM

Al DeFlorio
George64
ugarte
George64

Because it's easier than saying "a sophomore academically but only now using his first year of varsity eligibility."

Touché

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 07:38PM

technically red-shirt is only a term for someone who skipped a year because of injury.. the fact the ncaa allows 5 to play 4 its used much more loosely now. with the ivy not allowing kids that 5th year if they graduate its even a more muddled term.

Date: March 20, 2018 07:59PM

upprdeck
technically red-shirt is only a term for someone who skipped a year because of injury.. the fact the ncaa allows 5 to play 4 its used much more loosely now. with the ivy not allowing kids that 5th year if they graduate its even a more muddled term.
[www.urbandictionary.com]

Date: March 20, 2018 09:43PM

upprdeck
that's where the retronyn "medical redshirt" came from lol. the ivy (at least, cornell) solution is a year at Finger Lakes CC - wrestling people call it a greyshirt because they work with people who aren't affiliated with Cornell but also aren't NOT affiliated with Cornell if you know what I mean.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 09:45PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: March 21, 2018 07:29AM

So, are all first year students to be called true freshmen, or only athletes?

I lean toward the group that says a freshman is first year and you use redshirt freshman as an athletic determination. I don't see why the "true" is needed. If redshirt is not added, then it's understood that it's the student's first year in college.

Date: March 21, 2018 08:24AM

Jim Hyla

I lean toward the group that says a freshman is first year and you use redshirt freshman as an athletic determination. I don't see why the "true" is needed. If redshirt is not added, then it's understood that it's the student's first year in college.
That would be fine, Jim, in theory, if you can assure that everyone announcing and reporting on college sports everywhere, in sports where redshirting is common, would adhere to your dictum. I believe the distinction is very relevant, as it differentiates the accomplishments of freshmen (to use your preferred term) like Kyle Dake and Yianni D, from redshirt freshmen. But I don't think it's realistic to ever expect that.

Date: March 21, 2018 12:13PM

Jim Hyla

Here's the thing about language usage and evolution: the people who use the language get to determine how it is used, not the people parachuting in with prescriptivist opinions and rules that they find entirely logical for how other people should talk.

For people who discuss college sports and the participants in them, "true freshman" fills a linguistic need. The people talking about sports don't care whether the people observing them talk think it should fill a need or not.

Yes, only athletes are called "true freshmen" - students are referred to in terms of their progress towards a degree or the number of years that they've been on campus (there is no fixed usage rule for kids starting college with 20 AP credits), not the amount of NCAA eligibility they have left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 12:14PM by ugarte.

Date: March 21, 2018 06:27PM

The national title victory by Yianni Diakomihalis comes in at No. 1 on this week's #IvyTop5 Plays of the Week! #LGR #ILN

Date: March 22, 2018 06:51AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla

Here's the thing about language usage and evolution: the people who use the language get to determine how it is used, not the people parachuting in with prescriptivist opinions and rules that they find entirely logical for how other people should talk.

For people who discuss college sports and the participants in them, "true freshman" fills a linguistic need. The people talking about sports don't care whether the people observing them talk think it should fill a need or not.

Yes, only athletes are called "true freshmen" - students are referred to in terms of their progress towards a degree or the number of years that they've been on campus (there is no fixed usage rule for kids starting college with 20 AP credits), not the amount of NCAA eligibility they have left.

I don't see how I was "parachuting in with prescriptivist opinions and rules that they find entirely logical for how other people should talk". I was expressing my thoughts, just like you were. I said 'I don't see why the "true" is needed.' I never said it shouldn't be used.

For years I've understood the difference between freshman and redshirt freshman. If announcers and others fail to correctly make that distinction and they now feel that the word true has to be added, so they'll always say it correctly, so be it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-174-225-3.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2018 04:09PM

Jim Hyla
So, are all first year students to be called true freshmen, or only athletes? I lean toward the group that says a freshman is first year and you use redshirt freshman as an athletic determination. I don't see why the "true" is needed. If redshirt is not added, then it's understood that it's the student's first year in college.
The usage that gets to me is the sports with the least regard for academic progress among many of the big time schools: football and basketball. When the announcer says "true freshman," other than joy of using additional padding words, he is almost expressing admiration that the kid can study and play a sport his first year on campus. \

Ugarte finally has a good point, about "medical redshirt" as a useful retronym once that was hijacked for the any-reason-at-all first year in school and practicing but not playing.

Date: March 22, 2018 04:13PM

George64
The national title victory by Yianni Diakomihalis comes in at No. 1 on this week's #IvyTop5 Plays of the Week! #LGR #ILN
Well, yeah, the Ivy Network would have to make it so. It would have been nice to be on ESPN's top 10 plays of the week along with 5 jams, a couple three-pointers, 2 home runs, the special needs kid who gets in the last minute of the game and sinks one from half court ... and Yanni.

Date: March 22, 2018 04:19PM

ugarte
Ugarte hasn't got me turned around but he is winning the war of the quotable lines. And yes language is fluid and the winners are the people who use the phrases the most. They're going to make "literally blew him away with that slapshot" be an acceptable synonym for "figuratively." Ugarte's triple-P phrasing is up there with Spiro Agnew on the media as the "nattering nabobs of negativism." I hope life ends better for Ugarte.

Date: March 22, 2018 04:31PM

billhoward
ugarte
Ugarte hasn't got me turned around but he is winning the war of the quotable lines. And yes language is fluid and the winners are the people who use the phrases the most. They're going to make "literally blew him away with that slapshot" be an acceptable synonym for "figuratively." Ugarte's triple-P phrasing is up there with Spiro Agnew on the media as the "nattering nabobs of negativism." I hope life ends better for Ugarte.
I have news for you, Bill: "literally" has been used metaphorically for actually-literally centuries. Dickens used literally figuratively. You're wrong about that one too.

Just because you, personally, feel that if everyone were incredibly careful and specific about their usage of the term "freshman" there would be no need to further distinguish "freshman" from "redshirt freshman" does not mean that people are, in fact, that careful about their usage or that the umbrella term "freshman" can't be interpreted as referring to either a "true freshman" or a "redshirt freshman." Because there is that inherent ambiguity, people have seen fit to coin a retronym. It wasn't wrong of them to do so and lamenting it is a waste of your energy.

Feel free not to use the term but don't get mad if you call a player a freshman and someone asks "true or redshirt?"

Date: March 22, 2018 05:38PM

As language loosens, we'll see more, "Police homicide officials reported the dead body was found lying prone on the ground, face-down."

I missed EB White by a couple years, but he left a book and it mentioned the economy of words.

On the other hand, saying "true freshman" is a minor crime compared to posting news (or printing news) without it passing through an editor, or a literate editor, even a barely literate editor. And I don't believe E.B. had anything to say about what happens if, if a bar, you say, "I shall" rather than "Sure."

I will feel better Saturday around 4 p.m. knowing the Big Red is playing Sunday. And that lacrosse has taken down Penn.

Date: March 22, 2018 06:44PM

... after finishing the wrestling thread on good word usage, I tab over to Facebook and find this post about Elon Musk: " but this guy has to many irons in the fire and has taken his eye of the ball and the ball is going flat."

Date: March 22, 2018 07:18PM

billhoward
Ugarte's triple-P phrasing is up there with Spiro Agnew on the media as the "nattering nabobs of negativism."

Agnew said it, but William Safire wrote it. I still miss his column “On Language.”

Date: March 22, 2018 09:00PM

George64
billhoward
Ugarte's triple-P phrasing is up there with Spiro Agnew on the media as the "nattering nabobs of negativism."
Agnew said it, but William Safire wrote it. I still miss his column “On Language.”
Exactly so. Agnew could not have created that alliteration. Maybe On Language is gone because it's old farts - baby boomers like us - who care about the precision of language so it made the magazine look old.

Date: March 23, 2018 07:31AM

billhoward
... after finishing the wrestling thread on good word usage, I tab over to Facebook and find this post about Elon Musk: " but this guy has to many irons in the fire and has taken his eye of the ball and the ball is going flat."

Come on, how could the ball go flat if they didn't have so many hot irons?

Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: March 23, 2018 04:29PM

At schools that give athletic scholarships, does the redshirt year count against the number of scholarships the team may give?

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.IPYX-102276-ZYO.zip.zayo.com)
Date: March 23, 2018 05:34PM

nshapiro
At schools that give athletic scholarships, does the redshirt year count against the number of scholarships the team may give?
if the guy is getting a scholarship, i'm 99% sure that yes it does.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 06:54PM

yes it does. football/bball get 85/13 spread out over 4-6 years, sometimes depending on the player.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 11:28PM

Back to wrestling...

Sun reports Yianni tore his acl in the quarterfinal. Won title anyway.

[cornellsun.com]

Date: March 26, 2018 10:34AM

Chris '03
Back to wrestling...

Article from Rochester D&C.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: March 26, 2018 01:38PM

George64
Chris '03
Back to wrestling...

From the story: "After recovering, he'll set his sights on repeating as NCAA champion in 2019 and then the Olympics. 'I think I can do it in 2020,' he said." I wonder if he will take an "Olympic-shirt" in 2020 (Wrestlers can take a year to compete for a berth on the national team without losing a year of eligibility, but you have to be at the Yianni/Dake/Gabe Dean level to consider it.)

Date: March 26, 2018 04:26PM

mountainred
George64
Chris '03
Back to wrestling...

From the story: "After recovering, he'll set his sights on repeating as NCAA champion in 2019 and then the Olympics. 'I think I can do it in 2020,' he said." I wonder if he will take an "Olympic-shirt" in 2020 (Wrestlers can take a year to compete for a berth on the national team without losing a year of eligibility, but you have to be at the Yianni/Dake/Gabe Dean level to consider it.)
kyle snyder planned to do this, right? but then decided to burn the year to come back for pretty much just the Big 10 tournament (which he won) and the NCAA's (which he also won).

Posted by: mountainred (---.dsl1.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 26, 2018 08:52PM

ugarte
mountainred
George64
Chris '03
Back to wrestling...

kyle snyder planned to do this, right? but then decided to burn the year to come back for pretty much just the Big 10 tournament (which he won) and the NCAA's (which he also won).
I think so. I have this hazy memory that Gabe considered it briefly, but it could have been just message board chatter.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 10:25AM

It is his life. Let him live the dream. Cornell is big on taking a year abroad.

Date: April 03, 2018 09:22PM

Interesting interview with Rob Koll at South Beach Duals.. Among other things, he answers a question about a hypothetical match between freshmen Kyle Dake and Yianni at 141.

World Team Trials
Date: June 17, 2018 09:40PM

Rising frosh Vito Arujau won the US U23 World Team Trials at 60kg and will go to the U23 World Championships in Bucharest this November. Chas Tucker finished in third, which is pretty great. Whispers on the Cornell wrestling forum that Tucker may try dropping down to 125 next year. Our lower weights would be amazing if he could: Tucker at 125, Arujau at 133 and Yianni at 141? Damn.

Ben Honis also finished in third, at 97kg. If he puts on some weight the competition for starter at heavyweight - with Janney and Furman as freshman not to mention returning NCAA qualifier Sweany - will be intense.

Also, Kyle Dake '13 finally FINALLY won a US Senior title after college, taking the US World Team Trials at 79kg. His path at 74kg was forever blocked by Jordan Burroughs (who won again, after a lackluster Olympics.) Dake will represent the US at the World Championships in Budapest this October. The future will be interesting because 74 is not an Olympic weight - as we get closer to 2020 Dake will have to either drop back to 74kg and hope that Burroughs final ages or make a run at 2x NCAA champ David Taylor and 3x NCAA champ J'Den Cox in a stacked 86kg class. Cox upset Dake to qualify for the 2016 games and went on to win a bronze medal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2018 09:59PM by ugarte.

Date: June 19, 2018 12:08PM

Also, Nahshon Garrett '16 is in the finals of the WTT himself, at 61kg, and will face Joe Colon this Saturday. Winner joins Dake in Budapest. Colon has won their previous two meetings.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2018 02:25PM

Chavez Makes Senior World Team In Greco-Roman.

Date: June 23, 2018 04:19PM

George64
Chavez Makes Senior World Team In Greco-Roman.
I didn't even realize he was doing this until he was in the finals and then forgot I hadn't posted it here. He dropped out of the first qualifying tournament so I didn't realize that he was still going to even try for the World Team. Also interesting, he dropped down from 77kg to 72kg, which is 6 pounds less than he was wrestling at for the Big Red. I still don't think he'd drop to 157 after getting All-American at 165 but it's interesting.

This is fantastic and I hope Garrett can join Dake and Chavez in Budapest with a win tonight.

Date: June 23, 2018 11:20PM

ugarte
Also, Nahshon Garrett '16 is in the finals of the WTT himself, at 61kg, and will face Joe Colon this Saturday. Winner joins Dake in Budapest. Colon has won their previous two meetings.
Colon wins the first of the best of 3, but Garrett comes back with two straight wins - the last a 12-0 tech fall - and he's going to Budapest with Dake and Chavez on the US World Team!

Date: June 23, 2018 11:56PM

Cornell wrestlers going to Worlds:

Senior Freestyle

61kg: Nahshon Garrett '16
79kg: Kyle Dake '13

Senior Greco-Roman

72kg: Jon Jay Chavez '19

U23 Freestyle

61kg: Vitali Arujau '22
61kg: Chas Tucker '20 (backup)
97kg: Ben Honis '19 (backup)

Junior Greco-Roman

82kg: Andrew Berreyesa '22

It's also possible that Dylan Palacio '17 is wrestling for Uruguay but I'm not sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2018 12:55AM by ugarte.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2018 05:20PM

Kyle Dake workout video.

Date: September 30, 2018 08:33PM

ugarte
Junior Greco-Roman

82kg: Andrew Berreyesa '22
Berreyesa made a great run to win a silver medal.

I also later learned that frosh Phillip Moomey qualified for the US Cadet Greco-Roman team at 60kg for Worlds. He went 0-2, but winning the US qualifier is fantastic. He's probably stuck behind Arujau and Diakhomihalis at Cornell for most of his career, though, unless he can get down to 125. That's a deep roster.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login