Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse 2018

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous123456 7 
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Cornell lacrosse 2018 - NCAA finals Yale 13-Duke 11
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2018 05:32PM

No rush at Yale to tell fans about the game. Two hours after the game, the top story is still the pregame. I bet Duke had a home page ready to go, NCAA Champs hats (We're Still Innocent)! ready to go, and a fake Raleigh Observer front page also ready.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2018
Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.ftas.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2018 07:50PM

Like in hockey, very depressing to see one of our rivals, with many fewer years of success than us, win a national championship that we haven't won in 40 years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2018 07:50PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2018 08:03PM

Watching Hill Academy against Culver in High School championships. Really like Billy Coyle: good dodger, good feeder, causes turnovers on the ride. If he can bring these aspects of his game to the next level, he'll help counter SOT.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2018 10:34PM

Swampy
Watching Hill Academy against Culver in High School championships. Really like Billy Coyle: good dodger, good feeder, causes turnovers on the ride. If he can bring these aspects of his game to the next level, he'll help counter SOT.

And Lombardi has 2 beautiful goals in the 2nd semifinal as Salisbury leads Bullis 8-4 after 3 quarters. Lombardi and Coyle are both nice looking attackmen.

I was also really impressed with Sammy English, a blazing fast ssdm for Culver. He’s just a junior, but assuming he makes it to Ithaca he’s going to be a contributor early in his career.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2018 10:45PM

BearLover
Like in hockey, very depressing to see one of our rivals, with many fewer years of success than us, win a national championship that we haven't won in 40 years.

I couldn't agree more. I can't help but watch the highlights and think, "That won't be us anytime soon."

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2018 10:53PM

Trotsky
Better Yale than Harvard. Better Harvard than nuclear annihilation. Better nuclear annihilation than Duke.

I can't argue with that, either. As jealous as I am of Yale, I HATE Duke lacrosse and their winning it would have been worse. They keep ending Cornell's season. I suppose I should dislike Maryland for the same reason, but I can't get exercised about them because (1) they are coached by a Cornell alum, (2) we curb stomped them in 2013, and (3) they have never been accused of...you know.

Duke lacrosse has replaced New Hampshire hockey as my least favorite college team, because those hockey losses were long enough ago that the animus is fading. Which means Cornell hockey hasn't been to the Final Four since...sigh. It's tough being a Cornell fan sometimes. Today doesn't make me more confident that we can win it all. I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: mike1960 (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2018 11:49PM

djk26
BearLover

I couldn't agree more. I can't help but watch the highlights and think, "That won't be us anytime soon."

I have a lot of hopes for next year. We have a fairly young team, and a first-year coach. Everyone including the coaches will be a little (maybe a lot) better with this year's seasoning.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2018 - Matt Kerwick at IMG
Date: May 29, 2018 07:43AM

I didn't know this: When Matt Kerwick left Cornell a year ago, he landed very well, as director of lacrosse at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. One area where IMG tops even Cornell: Tuition, fees and training can be in the seventies.

[www.bradenton.com]

[www.imgacademy.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 07:46AM

billhoward
One area where IMG tops even Cornell: Tuition, fees and training can be in the seventies.

JFC. Anybody who sends their brat there should automatically have their taxes doubled.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2018 07:47AM by Trotsky.

Date: May 29, 2018 09:32AM

Trotsky
billhoward
One area where IMG tops even Cornell: Tuition, fees and training can be in the seventies.
JFC. Anybody who sends their brat there should automatically have their taxes doubled.
The Olympics in the time of Fitzgerald and Gatsby were white men of leisure and affluence (one follows the other), effectively keeping out non-whites. This brings athletics back into the realm of the wealthy and some middle-class families mortgaging their lives in hopes their kid beats the odds.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 02:57PM

billhoward
I didn't know this: When Matt Kerwick left Cornell a year ago, he landed very well, as director of lacrosse at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. One area where IMG tops even Cornell: Tuition, fees and training can be in the seventies.

Did Kerwick leave Cornell on good terms? I remember that his resignation was sort of a surprise. Can he make IMG into a feeder for Cornell lacrosse, ala the Nanaimo Clippers and hockey?

Date: May 29, 2018 03:34PM

Kerwick's trajectory was downward in his four years as head coach, interim or not. He came to Cornell because of mixed circumstances as an assistant at Georgetown, picking up a DUI and being cut by the Hoyas. This happened just as Dave Urick was completing 25 years at Georgetown and retiring. Kerwick was a, or the, leading candidate to replace Urick. At Cornell, he used his experience as a teaching moment for the Cornell players. He's about 50 now (Hobart '90) and hopefully AMG and Kerwick will be good for each other.

We could use some coaching stability. This is the tenure of Cornell's coaches since things got serious (in a hurry), in years:

3  Harkness
29  Moran 
 3  Pietremala 
10  Tambroni 
 3  DeLuca
 4  Kerwick 
 1  Milliman

On the positive side, you could say Kerwick had the third longest tenure of any coach since the late 1960s. Maybe Mike Schafer could talk to Milliman about making this a long-term career.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2018 03:56PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Swampy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 05:33AM

billhoward
Maybe Mike Schafer could talk to Milliman about making this a long-term career.

Given how many lacrosse players have been popping up who also play hockey (or is it hockey players who also play lacrosse?), they may have much more to talk about.

Date: May 30, 2018 07:45AM

Swampy
billhoward
Maybe Mike Schafer could talk to Milliman about making this a long-term career.
Given how many lacrosse players have been popping up who also play hockey (or is it hockey players who also play lacrosse?), they may have much more to talk about.
Had Matt Moulson picked up his crosse for the 2006 lacrosse season, at least in our dreams, we would have gone to the NCAA title game. We lost three games by four goals including a 10-9 first-round upset by UMass.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 04:58PM

BearLover

I also bet that the Yale students (with the exception of the lacrosse players themselves) didn't care at all. Then again, based on attendance at the games, you could probably say the same if Cornell ever won it all in lacrosse.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2018 - polls EOS Cornell 8th
Date: June 03, 2018 07:34PM

Cornell finishes the season in eighth place in the end of season media poll. [www.insidelacrosse.com]

1 Yale
2 Duke
3 Maryland
4 Albany
5 Loyola
6 Hopkins
7 Denver
8 Cornell
9 Notre Dame
10 Virginia

For what it's worth, Hopkins-Denver-Cornell were fairly closely bracketed, then a falloff to Notre Dame and 9th. The USILA top four were the semifinalist teams, the top eight included the quarterfinal teams that didn't advance. They didn't see a team that lost to be better than one that advanced to the next bracket.

Last year's runner-up Ohio State finished 17th (Maryland won last year) and 2016 champion NC finished as also-receiving-votes.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2018 - Tewaaraton to Ben Reeves
Date: June 04, 2018 07:45AM

113 points and a national title in his senior year - Tewaaraton Award to Yale's Been Reeves

NC$$ Relea$e

Page: Previous123456 7 
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login