Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Controversy over Nike deal for Cornell athletics

Posted by dbilmes 
Controversy over Nike deal for Cornell athletics
Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.121.---)
Date: July 13, 2017 04:10PM

Although Cornell is ending its deal with Nike to sell Cornell apparel, the athletic department will continue to have the Big Red athletes garbed in Nike apparel for at least another three years.

Re: Controversy over Nike deal for Cornell athletics
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2017 06:55PM

Hope they can found another apparel deal after that,

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: July 17, 2017 01:17PM

Why did athletics keep its relation with Nike, while the University broke the ties based on University policy? Was it because the athletic contract ran for 3 more years? Or was this another "wise" Andy Noel decision? Or was there another reason?

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2017 01:52PM

Daily Sun says it was the contract. Note the Sun is now doing coverage of major stories during the summer and exam periods.

Re: Controversy over Nike deal for Cornell athletics #takeaknee?
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2018 07:37AM

And now in hindsight, it looks as if Cornell, in terminating the Nike contract last year, supports the (US) President and field-size flags over Colin Kaepernick?

Although see the white headgear on the 2018 team photo: a half-dozen Nike swooshes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 07:48AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: September 13, 2018 08:24AM

billhoward
And now in hindsight, it looks as if Cornell, in terminating the Nike contract last year, supports the (US) President and field-size flags over Colin Kaepernick?

Although see the white headgear on the 2018 team photo: a half-dozen Nike swooshes.

I always knew there were a few right-wingers at Cornell, but I didn't know that they had finally found a way to get to the future.

It's great news, since licensing that should allow them to have free tuition for all.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 13, 2018 09:12AM

When they donate their quarterly profits to BLM we'll talk.

Date: September 13, 2018 09:30AM

Trotsky
Cripe. Somehow I thought "Bureau of Land Management?" Now if you'd hashtagged BLM.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2018 10:14AM

billhoward
Trotsky
Cripe. Somehow I thought "Bureau of Land Management?" Now if you'd hashtagged BLM.
the same people hate both

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.128.104.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 13, 2018 06:35PM

ugarte
billhoward
Trotsky

I thought of Bureau of Land Management, too.

I wonder what kind of dirty looks I'll get Saturday when I don't stand for the anthem.

Date: September 14, 2018 09:51AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
billhoward
Trotsky

I thought of Bureau of Land Management, too.

I wonder what kind of dirty looks I'll get Saturday when I don't stand for the anthem.

Delaware is Pennsylvania without the sophistication.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Date: September 15, 2018 09:36AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
It's not about disrespecting the military. It's about brutality by Cornell police and (what is the correct term?) Cornell meter maids.

What will Delaware do: Bring out the smallest flag in fitting with the First State's geographic size, then there'll be a V-formation flyover by four bankruptcy lawyer Gulfstreams with an empty spot in the formation in honor of fallen GS hero Anthony Scaramucci. The band will play Minnie the Moocher.

See y'all there. And Homecoming for sure.

Date: September 16, 2018 08:37AM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
It's not about disrespecting the military. It's about brutality by Cornell police and (what is the correct term?) Cornell meter maids.

What will Delaware do: Bring out the smallest flag in fitting with the First State's geographic size, then there'll be a V-formation flyover by four bankruptcy lawyer Gulfstreams with an empty spot in the formation in honor of fallen GS hero Anthony Scaramucci. The band will play Minnie the Moocher.

So you're saying "Red lives matter?" bolt

I got no comments or dirty looks at all. And that includes by the friend I went with who was a lifetime army guy (Cornell ROTC and 25 years in the reserves including some time in Desert Storm).

And when they do the "Let's honor an American hero" shtick, I usually sit on my hands for that, too. I'm not big on forced displays of patriotism. But the guy they honored yesterday (Bronze Star, wounded in Afghanistan, Purple Heart)...I stood for him.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 16, 2018 09:55AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

I got no comments or dirty looks at all. And that includes by the friend I went with who was a lifetime army guy (Cornell ROTC and 25 years in the reserves including some time in Desert Storm).

And when they do the "Let's honor an American hero" shtick, I usually sit on my hands for that, too. I'm not big on forced displays of patriotism. But the guy they honored yesterday (Bronze Star, wounded in Afghanistan, Purple Heart)...I stood for him.

Next time, raise your fist.

Date: September 16, 2018 09:01PM

Swampy
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82

Next time, raise your fist.

I've actually thought about that, but decided sitting was the right choice. FTR, I couldn't take a knee. No space in the bleachers.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2018 09:31PM

So please tell of a time when you witnessed police brutality by a member of the Cornell University Police department ? What a load of shit to be spouting off on that particular issue.

Date: September 16, 2018 09:43PM

Cop at Lynah;

Speaking for myself, my stand (or sit, as it were) has nothing to do with Cornell or the CUPD. My stand is simply pro-BLM, pro-Kaepernick, and anti-Trump.

Knowing Bill and the often tongue-in-cheek tone on this Forum, I took his comments as a joke. And as is often the case here, I re-joked.

Date: September 17, 2018 12:49AM

My comment was written with the Monotype Sarcasmus font. It doesn't show up on some PCs or phones. Campus police have a lot of sensitivities to deal with such as what do you do when a boisterous crowd in Statler doesn't like a speaker and wants to shout him/her off the stage. Or cops in the UCal system caught in the middle when Palestinian students march in hopes of defending Jewish organization because because being Jewish (I think I have this right) is a form of racism when there also Muslim students on campus. Or how about Smith College, where the police had to check out a report of a person tresspassing in a dorm and possibly being dangerous. How'd the caller know of the danger? Because the person lying a first floor couch late at night is black and there are no black women in that dorm.

Me, I have a lot of respect for police work. I am mystified when the most dangerous cities to be a municipal policeman pay the worst (Camden, Trenton, Newark in NJ) but in zero (violent) crime towns a patrolman might start at close to $90K. Plus OT. If you were on the Cornell PD in the 1970s when somebody took a nice crease out of another car's fender leaving Lynah and I called in the plate number because it was the right thing to do.

Date: September 17, 2018 12:05PM

Cop at Lynah
So please tell of a time when you witnessed police brutality by a member of the Cornell University Police department ? What a load of shit to be spouting off on that particular issue.

Q. "How many cops does it take to change a lightbulb?"

A. "That isn't funny."

Date: September 17, 2018 12:07PM

billhoward
whatever

#nopolitics. Please. Again, this is the one place without that shit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login