Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell football 2017

Posted by billhoward 
Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Cornell football 2017
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2017 11:23AM

2017 football deserves its own thread.
Sep 16  @ Delaware 
Sep 23  @ Yale
Sep 30  Colgate
Oct 07  Harvard
Oct 14  Bucknell
Oct 21  Brown (Homecoming / Trustee Council weekend) 
Oct 28  @ Princeton 
Nov 04  @ Dartmouth 
Nov 11  Columbia
Nov 18  @ Penn 

Re: Cornell football 2017 - Homecoming 10/21
Date: June 16, 2017 11:34AM

Homecoming is late this year, Oct. 21, because of the holidays. It's on the road the first two games and then the September 30 game, hosting Colgate, is also Yom Kippur. As to why it couldn't be Oct. 7 hosting Harvard, good question, other than it's getting close to the trustee / council weekend already set for 10/21. So, less likely we celebrate Homecoming 2017 in tank tops and shorts.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2017 12:22PM

billhoward
Homecoming is late this year, Oct. 21, because of the holidays. It's on the road the first two games and then the September 30 game, hosting Colgate, is also Yom Kippur. As to why it couldn't be Oct. 7 hosting Harvard, good question, other than it's getting close to the trustee / council weekend already set for 10/21. So, less likely we celebrate Homecoming 2017 in tank tops and shorts.

My thought is there's perhaps a stronger possibility of beating Brown rather than Harvard, although we haven't had much success against either opponent for a long time.

Date: June 27, 2017 01:39PM

scoop85
billhoward
My thought is there's perhaps a stronger possibility of beating Brown rather than Harvard, although we haven't had much success against either opponent for a long time.
Cornell Alumni Affairs for the past decade used Homecoming as an all-classes fall reunion, targeting especially the first 10 years out. It draws more people who have more fun when it's tank top weather in September. I think Cornell cares more about having fun that than finding the schedule's most winnable game, else in odd-number years homecoming would be Columbia in November. Even if Cornell had a home game 9/23, the Thursday and Friday before is Rosh Hashanah. Maybe we'll be lucky and October 21 is unseasonably warm. The historical high for the day is 57 degrees.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: June 30, 2017 02:21PM

billhoward
scoop85
billhoward
Cornell Alumni Affairs for the past decade used Homecoming as an all-classes fall reunion, targeting especially the first 10 years out. It draws more people who have more fun when it's tank top weather in September. I think Cornell cares more about having fun that than finding the schedule's most winnable game, else in odd-number years homecoming would be Columbia in November. Even if Cornell had a home game 9/23, the Thursday and Friday before is Rosh Hashanah. Maybe we'll be lucky and October 21 is unseasonably warm. The historical high for the day is 57 degrees.

For my money, the ideal time for homecoming is in mid-October. Peak of the fall, foliage exploding, orchards/vineyards/cider mills churning. Avg temps in Ithaca are right around 60 degrees, which is just perfect for football, if you ask me. </Mr Autumn Man> And there's always going to be a risk of unseasonably cold/hot weather in either Sept. and Oct. The seating section of Schoellkopf tends to bounce heat back up, I prefer not to bake from above and below on a hot day. Also tank tops are gross, and nobody likes old-people knees. Long-sleeve T's forever!!

I kid, but more seriously, and I'll speak from the viewpoint of a bandie, having Homecoming be the first home game always irks me because it just makes things more chaotic and confusing for the undergrads. You're trying to teach and welcome an entire new class of freshmen into the way Cornell game days work, but then before you can calibrate them with a "typical" experience, you mix-in hundreds of crazy, nostalgia-driven alumni and events with everything. Let them (and other groups like greek houses, cheerleaders, etc) get their feet and establish a football experience before you throw us at them. Let them get 1-2 game days under their wings first. The first two weeks of October are just lovely in the Finger Lakes and ideal for Homecoming.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2017 02:53PM

Am I crazy (I know, yes, probably) or did Homecoming used to be, once upon a time, the first home game after the first road trip after the first home stand? So it was HHAAH or AAHHAAH or HAH or AHAH. I realize it hasn't been true for a long time, but wasn't that traditionally what Homecoming was supposed to be?

I always thought it was the homecoming of the team, not the alumni.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 02:54PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2017 07:32PM

Trotsky
Am I crazy (I know, yes, probably) or did Homecoming used to be, once upon a time, the first home game after the first road trip after the first home stand? So it was HHAAH or AAHHAAH or HAH or AHAH. I realize it hasn't been true for a long time, but wasn't that traditionally what Homecoming was supposed to be?

Wow, I do like that line of thinking. However, a small dive into Wikipedia sources shows that most of the earliest "homecoming" events in 1909-11 were all directed at alumni & getting them to "come home," especially at Baylor and Missouri:

[www.active.com]

Re: Cornell football 2017
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2017 08:49PM

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2017 12:01AM

RichH
Trotsky

Wow, I do like that line of thinking
I think my HS may have done what I'm thinking of. Or it all came from an opium dream.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2017 02:40AM

Trotsky
RichH
Trotsky

I think my HS may have done what I'm thinking of. Or it all came from an opium dream.

I remember being greatly amused when my high school held a "homecoming dance", but only current students were allowed to attend.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 04, 2017 10:33AM

David Harding
Trotsky
RichH
Trotsky

I remember being greatly amused when my high school held a "homecoming dance", but only current students were allowed to attend.
I always thought of Homecoming the same way Trotsky did. I'm not saying the alumni thing isn't "correct" historically - it makes a lot more sense tbh - but the ambiguity has probably led to the term being used in more than the original sense.

Posted by: billhoward (---.kvvi.net)
Date: July 05, 2017 02:49PM

Agree. In HS our football team had homecoming after its first game on the road. In college, you wanted homecoming early in the year so it didn't run too close to fall weekend. But when alumni outnumber students at a game, I can see the other meaning for homecoming, of the alumni coming home to campus, being important, too.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if there was a longer thread about whether Cornell will finish first or second.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: July 26, 2017 10:05AM

The 10/28 game @ Princeton will be televised nationally by NBCSN.

[cornellbigred.com]

Date: July 26, 2017 11:42AM

CU2007

[cornellbigred.com]

While I am all for this I gotta ask.

Why?

Posted by: gobigred2 (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2017 09:10PM

Why not? Experienced team coming back at most positions this year.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2017 11:28PM

Trotsky
CU2007

[cornellbigred.com]

While I am all for this I gotta ask.

Why?

According to the Sun, Football to Have 4 Televised Games in League-Wide Push for Increased Exposure

Posted by: mgl11 (---.com)
Date: August 07, 2017 10:15AM

Of interest...

[www.active.com]

Officially sanctioned by the NCAA, Jeopardy! and Trivial Pursuit as the originator of homecoming, the University of Missouri is proud of their long-standing homecoming tradition. It was there in 1911 where Mizzou's Athletic Director Chester Brewer asked alumni of the school to help inaugurate the new location of their football field by "coming home" to attend the annual game against the University of Kansas.

Date: August 07, 2017 11:31AM

mgl11
Of interest...

[www.active.com]

Officially sanctioned by the NCAA, Jeopardy! and Trivial Pursuit as the originator of homecoming, the University of Missouri is proud of their long-standing homecoming tradition. It was there in 1911 where Mizzou's Athletic Director Chester Brewer asked alumni of the school to help inaugurate the new location of their football field by "coming home" to attend the annual game against the University of Kansas.

Ah, summer reruns. I'd point out I linked that exact article in this thread already, but then I'd feel like a self-important tool on an online forum.

Oh wait.

Date: August 07, 2017 04:45PM

RichH
but then I'd feel like a self-important tool on an online forum

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 07, 2017 08:57PM

Cornell home games start times pushed back one hour to 1:30. At least it will make for better tailgating.

Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: August 08, 2017 04:07PM

Red picked to finish last in Ivies, in media poll announced today

Date: August 08, 2017 07:00PM

CAS

No surprise. I really think this is the make or break year for Archer.

Date: August 08, 2017 08:06PM

Ken711
CAS
No surprise. I really think this is the make or break year for Archer.
a) Eighth.
b) We've been saying about the Doogie Howser MD of Cornell coaching since after Year 1.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2017 06:40AM

In 4 years under Coach Archer, Cornell is 9-31 overall & 6-22 in the Ivies. Best finish has been a tie for 6th place.

Date: August 09, 2017 07:20AM

CAS
In 4 years under Coach Archer, Cornell is 9-31 overall & 6-22 in the Ivies. Best finish has been a tie for 6th place.

I think he signed a 5 year contract, so there had better be an improved record over 4-6 and tied for 6th place, or there could be a change coming after this season.

Date: August 09, 2017 10:09AM

Ken711
there had better be an improved record over 4-6 and tied for 6th place

Is there any reason to expect one? That record sounds like the epitome of Cornell football in the almost 40 years I've followed it. We don't expect Brown to win in hockey. Absent some actual change in institutional commitment (read: admitting/paying dumb kids), or moving the football program to the Roosevelt Island campus, should we ever expect Cornell to compete in football?

I'll take my answer off the air.

Date: August 09, 2017 10:36AM

There have been periods Cornell has won in football. Maxie Baughan's last 3 teams ('86-'88) went a collective 16-5 in the Ivies. Jim Hofher's teams went 33-23 in the Ivies from '90-'97. The record since then has been abysmal. Btw Andy became AD in '99.

Date: August 09, 2017 11:53AM

In 1995, 1999, and 2000 the team went into the final weekend with a legitimate shot at the title. Football expectations of students of that era must feel the same way about football as the Class of 2010 feels about basketball.

In other news, I'm crushed to learn this morning that the College Football Data Warehouse has been put down.

Date: August 09, 2017 11:54AM

CAS
Btw Andy became AD in '99.

Feels like it's been since 1899.

Date: August 09, 2017 01:12PM

CAS
There have been periods Cornell has won in football. Maxie Baughan's last 3 teams ('86-'88) went a collective 16-5 in the Ivies. Jim Hofher's teams went 33-23 in the Ivies from '90-'97. The record since then has been abysmal. Btw Andy became AD in '99.
I understand that, and of course it's great to be competitive. I'm asking what is going on that leads anyone to believe the program will turn around? Brown hockey wins for a few years every couple decdes, too, until gravity inexorably pulls them back down.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2017 03:53AM

whistle

Date: August 28, 2017 10:05AM

As weak as the defense has been the last few years, Cornell loses their defensive captain yet again to an injury. This time it's career ending.

[cornellsun.com]

Date: August 30, 2017 10:27AM

Former coach Kent Austin is having a bad year. First he relieved himself as coach of the Hamilton Tiger Cats because of their 0-8 record to concentrate on the administration of the team. Now he's getting sued by Cornell for money he owes for leaving Cornell prior to the end of his contract,

[cornellsun.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2017 11:07AM

Ken711
Former coach Kent Austin is having a bad year. First he relieved himself as coach of the Hamilton Tiger Cats because of their 0-8 record to concentrate on the administration of the team. Now he's getting sued by Cornell for money he owes for leaving Cornell prior to the end of his contract,

[cornellsun.com]

Seems rather straightforward. Based on the stated facts CU will be able to get summary judgment if Austin doesn't pay before then.

Date: August 30, 2017 11:23AM

Ken711

[cornellsun.com]
Was Austin behind the attempted hiring of Art Briles?

Date: August 30, 2017 01:17PM

Trotsky
Ken711

[cornellsun.com]
Was Austin behind the attempted hiring of Art Briles?

June Jones the new HC who really wanted him, but they would surely have needed Austin's approval as well as the owner.

Date: September 15, 2017 11:09AM

Delaware coming up Saturday. Better hope they don't get too many injuries from The Blue Hens strong defense. I'm guess Delaware 38 Cornell 10 for a final score.

Date: September 15, 2017 12:19PM

Ken711
Delaware coming up Saturday. Better hope they don't get too many injuries from The Blue Hens strong defense. I'm guess Delaware 38 Cornell 10 for a final score.
Did Delaware move up to FBS? I remember when they were a D-2 powerhouse way back.

Date: September 15, 2017 01:09PM

Trotsky
Ken711
Did Delaware move up to FBS? I remember when they were a D-2 powerhouse way back.

No, but they did very well playing up against the #16 ranked FBS Virginia Tech, holding them to 303 yards of total offense and only 81 yards rushing. It was a nice pay day for Delaware by playing VT.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2017 04:23PM

"Hens TV" makes ILDN look like IMAX. Commercials come thru very clear but game broadcast truly sucks. On the bright side, the constant buffering has made the video almost simultaneous with WHCU audio. For now.

Date: September 16, 2017 04:45PM

17-0 Delaware in the 2nd on their way to an easy win as I thought.

Date: September 16, 2017 04:46PM

Make that 24-0 Delaware, blow-out in progress.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2017 04:49PM

4-0 turnovers, including fumble on 1st play of the game. Defense actually been decent but has too many short fields

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2017 05:03PM

Red down 27-0 at half. 5 turnovers. Soon to be 9-32 with David Archer as head coach

Date: September 16, 2017 05:21PM

CAS
Red down 27-0 at half. 5 turnovers.

It's important to have goals.

NCAA FOOTBALL. MOST TURNOVERS LOST.
13—Georgia vs. Georgia Tech, Dec. 1, 1951 (5 fumbles,
8 interceptions)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (74.119.160.---)
Date: September 16, 2017 05:23PM

Like to see Harley Kirsch get a shot at QB.

Date: September 16, 2017 06:05PM

Not a great day for Walker at RB, and the other RB's are slow and have no escapabiity.

Date: September 16, 2017 06:06PM

To be honest Delaware is clearly out of Cornell's league. I get wanting to challenge the team, but wins against more beatable opponents wouldn't hurt. Cornell with Yale, Colgate and Harvard coming up is likely staring at an 0-4 start to the season.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2017 06:19PM

Ken711
Cornell with Yale, Colgate and Harvard coming up is likely staring at an 0-4 start to the season.

Are you suggesting you think Brown is a possible W? The way this team looks we have a great shot at oh-for-2017.

Date: September 16, 2017 06:32PM

TimV
Ken711
Cornell with Yale, Colgate and Harvard coming up is likely staring at an 0-4 start to the season.

Are you suggesting you think Brown is a possible W? The way this team looks we have a great shot at oh-for-2017.

No, I'll think they have a chance in their home games against Bucknell, Brown and possible Columbia. 3-7 is the best outcome I see.

Date: September 16, 2017 07:41PM

Final 41-14 close to my guess of 38-10.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.139.102.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: September 16, 2017 10:06PM

Just got home from the game. I think the fact that we fumbled on our first play from scrimmage says it all.

The defense actually wasn't half bad, We kept them fairly well contained in the first half, and forced a couple field goals after giving up great field position on turnovers. Though to be fair, Delaware's QB overthrew a lot of wide open receivers,

But this may have been the worst offense I have ever seen play in a Cornell uniform. We had no running game whatsoever, and 4 interceptions put an end to any passing momentum we could muster. Frankly, they tried to be a little too cute on offense and it led to errors - big errors - like the interception on the halfback option pass. I think we finished with less than 300 yards of total offense, and less than 20 yards rushing. Feh!

Delaware is not that great a team, at least based on their record last year. So either they've improved a lot or we are just horrible. Sadly, I think it's the latter.

How long 'til the Red and White game?

Date: September 17, 2017 07:25AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Just got home from the game. I think the fact that we fumbled on our first play from scrimmage says it all.

The defense actually wasn't half bad, We kept them fairly well contained in the first half, and forced a couple field goals after giving up great field position on turnovers. Though to be fair, Delaware's QB overthrew a lot of wide open receivers,

But this may have been the worst offense I have ever seen play in a Cornell uniform. We had no running game whatsoever, and 4 interceptions put an end to any passing momentum we could muster. Frankly, they tried to be a little too cute on offense and it led to errors - big errors - like the interception on the halfback option pass. I think we finished with less than 300 yards of total offense, and less than 20 yards rushing. Feh!

Delaware is not that great a team, at least based on their record last year. So either they've improved a lot or we are just horrible. Sadly, I think it's the latter.

How long until the next head football coach change?

Date: September 17, 2017 08:42AM

Ken711
Final 41-14 close to my guess of 38-10.
We were about to congratulate you for the accurate prediction. Somebody beat us to it.

Cornell's coach also is good at doing math on the fly:
Jeff Archer '05
We gave up the ball five times in the first half and they scored 27 points off them. They won by 27 points."

Still trying to figure this one out, though:

I think defensively, given the field position I think they did some nice things. Those guys don't play in the Ivy League.

I was away (in Ithaca) and didn't check in on the game until last night, didn't know how bad it was. But lack of a score in the headline scared me. Geez, one game in, and the evidence mounts that the players are in for a rough season. They're trying as hard as anyone else.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 08:54AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.37.26.69.virtela.net)
Date: September 18, 2017 08:11AM

Ken711
Jeff Hopkins '82

How long until the next head football coach change?

Not soon enough!

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: September 18, 2017 12:02PM

Getting mad about being blown out by Delaware is a bit much. This may not be - probably will not be - a good season, but I don't think the coaching is as big a problem as institutional indifference towards the program.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:25PM

ugarte
Getting mad about being blown out by Delaware is a bit much. This may not be - probably will not be - a good season, but I don't think the coaching is as big a problem as institutional indifference towards the program.
Agreed. Yale was 3-4 / 3-7 last year. They seem like a much better test of where this team is.

Date: September 18, 2017 02:39PM

ugarte
Hear, hear

Date: September 18, 2017 04:52PM

ugarte

That is certainly a contributing factor. As an example, there was looking like movement toward building an indoor practice facility under the late Cornell President Elizabeth Garrett, It appears everything has stalled under new President Pollack on it.

Date: September 20, 2017 11:45AM

Ken711
ugarte
That is certainly a contributing factor. As an example, there was looking like movement toward building an indoor practice facility under the late Cornell President Elizabeth Garrett, It appears everything has stalled under new President Pollack on it.
Pollack from Michigan should know equally as well as Garrett from USC that the arms race in college athletics now includes 120-yard covered practice fields in cold-weather states. It will benefit more than football. Other Ivy teams have them. It would allow Cornell to play February home lacrosse matches no matter how much snow. There might even be some time for students to use such a facility. The facility coming to fruition most likely involves alumni involvement to fund it (and also fund the upkeep).

Date: September 20, 2017 11:57AM

So what is the status of the bubble? Has the money been raised? If so, wouldn't the administration support it? Agree there needs to be more institutional support for football, & we've only played a single game this year. But shouldn't we hold the current staff accountable for their record? And how can one be optimistic, given we've won only about 20% of our games over the last 4+ years
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 12:06PM by CAS.

Date: September 20, 2017 05:11PM

CAS
So what is the status of the bubble? Has the money been raised? If so, wouldn't the administration support it? Agree there needs to be more institutional support for football, & we've only played a single game this year. But shouldn't we hold the current staff accountable for their record? And how can one be optimistic, given we've won only about 20% of our games over the last 4+ years

First off, a bubble was never going to be the design of the indoor practice, They examined the costs to purchase, put up and take down, and maintain it and decided it wasn't cost effective over the long-term. They are/were planning a permanent facility like Dartmouth will be building. Last I heard, they have a commitment for $5 million in matching funds from a donor toward the construction cost.

Other Ivy teams have them. It would allow Cornell to play February home lacrosse matches no matter how much snow. There might even be some time for students to use such a facility.

It would be available as time permitted for all varsity teams and the general student population. It really seems like a no brainer at this point if they have any hope in being competitive in the Ivy League! Columbia has a one one, Dartmouth approved funding for a new one. Penn and Harvard already have them, and Princeton is in the process of approving one.

Contact Ryan Lomabardi VP For Student and Campus Life if you are interested in finding out what's going on with it. (ryan.lombardi@cornell.edu)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 05:16PM by Ken711.

Date: September 23, 2017 04:42PM

With the 49-24 loss to Yale, Cornell is now 9-33 in the Archer era, & has lost 8 of their last 9.

Date: September 23, 2017 05:02PM

CAS
With the 49-24 loss to Yale, Cornell is now 9-33 in the Archer era, & has lost 8 of their last 9.

Cornell needs to do what Columbia finally did after decades of losing by bringing in an outside consultant to evaluate and make recommendations on coaching, facility improvements and other institutional support. Cornell has officially taken over the role of Columbia in the league.

Date: September 23, 2017 05:13PM

Ken711
Cornell needs to do what Columbia finally did after decades of losing by bringing in an outside consultant to evaluate and make recommendations on coaching, facility improvements and other institutional support. Cornell has officially taken over the role of Columbia in the league.
The only thing that keeps getting in the way is beating Columbia.

Date: September 23, 2017 05:30PM

ugarte
Ken711
The only thing that keeps getting in the way is beating Columbia.

;-) The game saving the Big Red from the cellar perhaps.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (74.119.160.---)
Date: September 24, 2017 01:18AM

Giving up 8+ yards per play, mostly on the ground, is an embarrassment. At long last, Harold Coles was given a chance to show what he can do, but not until the game was out of reach. Now, when does Harley Kirsch, maybe the highest-rated Cornell recruit ever, get to take a snap in a varsity game? Team appears to be going nowhere as things are.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.nwtw.ct.charter.com)
Date: September 24, 2017 07:56AM

Good news: Only 2 turnovers and over 400 yards of offense.

Bad news: The defense, which looked decent last week, gave up over 300 yards rushing.

This team may not even beat Columbia.

Date: September 24, 2017 09:47AM

This team would be at least a touchdown underdog to 2-0 Columbia, if game was played today
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2017 10:11AM by CAS.

Date: September 25, 2017 08:04AM

Wagner and Georgetown aren't exactly football powers, FWIW.

But Columbia still won. I'd rather get the creampuff wins than crushing losses.

Date: September 25, 2017 11:41AM

Colgate is 1-3 so far, this may be a chance at the Big Red's first win.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 02:32PM by Ken711.

Date: September 30, 2017 12:16PM

Testing ILDN by watching some field hockey prior to today's broadcast. What is the bright white 3-story building that runs along the side of the field hockey (soccer) field? Is that new? It's almost not hideous.

Edit: I guess it's just the back of Alberding (or whoever is ponying up this week). I don't think I have ever seen it from that angle.

Edit edit: No, it's Weill Hall, which I have never heard of, so it is probably 20 years old.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 12:23PM by Trotsky.

Date: September 30, 2017 01:58PM

Scoreless vs Colgate after 1. Defense looks great. Offense... well, the defense looks great.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 02:21PM

Banks just puts the ball up for grabs. It's past time to try Harley Kirsch.

Why Gellatly and not Coles?

Pass rush has no containment.

Date: September 30, 2017 02:28PM

The Peters first down was a nice throw.

Date: September 30, 2017 02:41PM

Al DeFlorio

Couldn't agree with you more. Banks has regressed, and Gellately has zero speed.

Date: September 30, 2017 03:12PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Couldn't agree with you more. Banks has regressed, and Gellately has zero speed.

But to be fair to Banks, the OL is far worse this year--they look like statues in pass protection, and get no push on running plays. Other than that they're fine woot

Date: September 30, 2017 03:17PM

Gesualdi is fun to watch.

Date: September 30, 2017 03:21PM

scoop85
Gellately has zero speed.
I think he heard you.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 03:33PM

are there even 1,000 fans in attendance? yikes.

Date: September 30, 2017 03:43PM

Well, we looked good in the first quarter. Repeat of the Yale game. Oh well.

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-70-214-111.myvzw.com)
Date: September 30, 2017 03:53PM

9-34 under David Archer. Losers of 9 of last 10. Program in desperate need of an intervention.

Date: September 30, 2017 04:00PM

CAS
9-34 under David Archer. Losers of 9 of last 10. Program in desperate need of an intervention.

Meanwhile, Columbia goes to 3-0 with a last minute win at Princeton.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2017 04:04PM

scoop85
scoop85
Al DeFlorio

But to be fair to Banks, the OL is far worse this year--they look like statues in pass protection, and get no push on running plays. Other than that they're fine woot
Compared to the Colgate QB, Banks is a statue and has a slow release. And throws too often into trouble. Archer keeps sticking with a losing combination. Dumb. Time to go, I regret to say. Nice guy, but...

Re: Cornell football 2017 - Colgate 21-7
Date: September 30, 2017 04:16PM

Cornell might've had a chance of closing it to a one-TD margin with ~4 minutes to play until Cornell got intercepted deep in Colgate territory. Lost 4 passes to INTs. Looking less and less like 3-0 Columbia is going to be a Cornell win. We may have a lot riding on Bucknell, 2-2 going into an evening game against Monmouth. Too bad.

Announced attendance: 3325. The difference between us and, say, Ohio State or Stanford is you can discern the magnitude of our attendance at a glance even if there's no comma.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 07:36PM by billhoward.

Date: September 30, 2017 07:37PM

CAS

The Cornell Trustees and the President and AD need to decide either get behind the program as Columbia finally did with an outside evaluation top to bottom from coaching to facilities to admissions or perhaps just drop the sport. Continuing to just bring in a new coach without the full support and upgrades/improvements from the administration is doomed to fail.

Date: September 30, 2017 07:41PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio

He's regressed because our QB coach experience was a HS football coach with no personal experience either as a former QB himself, or coaching in the college ranks.

Date: October 01, 2017 12:12AM

this team is going 0-fer

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.139.102.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 01, 2017 08:10PM

ugarte
this team is going 0-fer

Sadly, I think you're right.

Date: October 01, 2017 09:19PM

And so it begins....

[www.voy.com]

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2017 10:08PM

Back to the Colgate game:

Colgate came in pretty banged up from their 1st 4 games playing without several starters and still beat CU. I don't care whether you are playing Colgate or Little Sisters of the Poor-games are not won when you keep losing the turnover battle as in the 1st 3 games. Watching from the start of the game Banks did not look crisp on his passes or handoffs. The offensive line is not great but Banks has a tendency to hang onto to the ball rather than throw it away. The penalties especially were absolute killers and the 15 yard sideline penalty in the 4th-that one is on the coaching staff. Kudos to the defense though. As for those calling for Archer's head-I think of John Fox, the former Sports Editor of the Binghamton Press, who termed the Cornell Football Head Coach position as a Coaches Graveyard.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2017 08:12AM

I was listening to the Colgate game on the radio.
Cornell’s play was so disappointing/frustrating that I had to turn it off. Again.
My wife said that if it was my favorite NFL team that was losing I’d keep listening, regardless.
I said that was true. But, if it was my NFL team the difference is that they would at least try to identify the problem and do everything in their power to correct it.

bang

Posted by: billhoward (---.sharktech.net)
Date: October 02, 2017 12:00PM

Two useful posts on voy.com (the Cornell section should be oy.com):

Jeff Archer '05 - Doogie Howser, F.B. - was chosen because Cornell was tired of coaches here bailing for better jobs.

Others commenting about other Ivy programs (Columbia) say change happens when the alumni revolt. Apparently chirping on line here is not all-out revolution. It is surprising that Columbia actually has a winning team this year. It's also surprising that Cornell has manged six decades of football without a single unshared title.

Let's see what happens. Meanwhile, it is easy this year to find space to tailgate.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.sub-174-192-34.myvzw.com)
Date: October 02, 2017 12:05PM

rss77
I don't care whether you are playing Colgate or Little Sisters of the Poor...
How do we go about scheduling the Little Sisters of the Poor?

Date: October 02, 2017 04:31PM

Al DeFlorio
rss77
I don't care whether you are playing Colgate or Little Sisters of the Poor...
How do we go about scheduling the Little Sisters of the Poor?

Contact the AD at Holy Cross. He may have a contact email.

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2017 04:45PM

The sad part of this whole saga is that the young men on the team deserve better. They bust their asses out there but systematically they have no chance. I have no direct affiliation with the football program, but I do remember the days when Cornell was competitive in the Ivy League. It can be done, but it has to start at the top (AD)

Date: October 02, 2017 04:50PM

Cop at Lynah
The sad part of this whole saga is that the young men on the team deserve better. They bust their asses out there but systematically they have no chance. I have no direct affiliation with the football program, but I do remember the days when Cornell was competitive in the Ivy League. It can be done, but it has to start at the top (AD)

I agree, but it also needs buy-in above the AD as they did with Columbia's President and Trustees who control the money.

Date: October 03, 2017 10:03AM

Ken711
And so it begins....

[www.voy.com]

What in the actual fuck?

My money is withheld until there is a new staff in place. It doesn't matter who. They could hire an all woman staff with no experience playing football and I would donate, if that meant Archer and his group is gone.

Speaking as an old person I look forward to the day when we are all dead.

Date: October 07, 2017 01:20PM

For DC viewers, the Harvard game is on at 1:30 on something called "11 Sports" (Fios 597).

Date: October 07, 2017 01:48PM

According to the TV broadcasters, the Harvard QB "plays the game with his arm and legs." That may catch on.

Page:  1 23Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login