Saturday, September 23rd, 2017
Who is this season's most improved player?
Matt Buckles
Jeff Kubiak
Alex Rauter
Trevor Yates

Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's Basketball (2017-2018)

Posted by Swampy 
Men's Basketball (2017-2018)
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 27, 2017 07:52AM

It's time to start a "Men's Basketball (2017-2018)" thread.

Incoming recruits.

Re: Men's Basketball (2017-2018)
Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: May 30, 2017 11:00AM

It's an interesting class. All of the six could be useful contributors, though the odds are that it won't "click" at the D1 level for at least one. Julian, Kuhn, and Voss could help with rebounding; Boeheim and Knapp look like potential 3pt snipers (though Knapp may need a year to get up to speed the same way Eitan did); and McBride was a combo guard at a high level in high school ball.

The downside is that there is nobody who looks like a potential All-Ivy player, which probably puts our class as no better than 6th in the league along with Brown and Dartmouth. Here's hoping Coach Earl has found some guys who fit in his system.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2017 02:52PM

The way the release is written, everybody sounds fabulous. We could start five newcomers and win the Ivy tournament.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2017 11:10PM

mountainred
It's an interesting class. All of the six could be useful contributors, though the odds are that it won't "click" at the D1 level for at least one. Julian, Kuhn, and Voss could help with rebounding; Boeheim and Knapp look like potential 3pt snipers (though Knapp may need a year to get up to speed the same way Eitan did); and McBride was a combo guard at a high level in high school ball.

The downside is that there is nobody who looks like a potential All-Ivy player, which probably puts our class as no better than 6th in the league along with Brown and Dartmouth. Here's hoping Coach Earl has found some guys who fit in his system.

McBride could be a sleeper. He played very respectably on a top-tier team loaded with talent. His respectable-but-not-breathtaking numbers probably reflect the overall quality of his teammates. Obviously college will be more challenging than high school, but after he acclimates he could surprise.

Also, I'd choose balance over having a single all-star. We'll just have to see how this group stacks up as a group. Did you make a comparison against the recruiting classes of the other five teams, or are you just guessing they've all recruited at least one potential All-Ivy?

Posted by: mountainred (50.106.176.---)
Date: June 04, 2017 05:30PM

Swampy
mountainred

McBride could be a sleeper. He played very respectably on a top-tier team loaded with talent. His respectable-but-not-breathtaking numbers probably reflect the overall quality of his teammates. Obviously college will be more challenging than high school, but after he acclimates he could surprise.

Also, I'd choose balance over having a single all-star. We'll just have to see how this group stacks up as a group. Did you make a comparison against the recruiting classes of the other five teams, or are you just guessing they've all recruited at least one potential All-Ivy?

I hope you are right on McBride. He was the 5th option on a team where his teammates are headed to UCLA, Ariz. St., San Diego St., plus maybe the top recruit in the country next year. I have no doubt he's talented, but is he a stud on a team of max-level studs, or a good player who is picking up stats because he isn't a focus and gets matched up with the other team's worst starter? Here is the ESPN bottom line: "McBride is a solid looking prospect and if he continues to work on his all around skill set and savvy, he should be able to play at the next level."

As far as the the other Ivies, I have a decent idea of who is going where, though I am not claiming to be a scout. Columbia has the top-ranked recruit in PF/C Jaron Faulds; he is a four star recruit according to ESPN. Princeton has a pair of ESPN three stars (Sebastian Much and Jerome Desrosiers) and a two star. Penn has a three star in Jelani Williams and a two star. Harvard has a three star and a two star, plus a kid from Canada who is said to be very good. Yale has a two star guard, Dartmouth a pair of two star players, and Brown a two star forward. In retrospect, I may have oversold the Elis, but James Jones normally gets the max out of his team.

Meanwhile, McBride is Cornell's highest rated recruit where he is one of the four guys ESPN gives one star (not Voss or Julian). Stars aren't everything (ESPN had Galal Cancer as a two star recruit and Shonn Miller as just a one), but they are an impartial, if subjective, way to measure recruiting classes. And in hoops, I would rather have one difference-maker, such as Shonn Miller, than four solid players, though Coach Earl may disagree.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2017 09:24PM

Just saw on Twitter that David Onourah will play next year as a grad student at UConn. Nice opportunity for him to use his athleticism to add defense and rebounding in what I assume will be a reserve role.

Date: June 07, 2017 02:37PM

scoop85
Just saw on Twitter that David Onourah will play next year as a grad student at UConn. Nice opportunity for him to use his athleticism to add defense and rebounding in what I assume will be a reserve role.

Thanks Scoop. I was hoping -- without good reason -- that he disappeared so he could save a year of eligibility for us. Can't fault him for having UConn pay for a year of grad school.

Date: June 07, 2017 03:34PM

scoop85
Reserves count toward the team GPA as much as the starting five. More, in some ways.

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2017 10:14PM

Not sure what UConn sees in Onourah. He was not a good player at the Ivy League level and really did not evolve as a player during his time at Cornell. Wish him well though

Date: June 15, 2017 11:29AM

rss77
Not sure what UConn sees in Onourah. He was not a good player at the Ivy League level and really did not evolve as a player during his time at Cornell. Wish him well though

David was always a decent rebounder and shot blocker, even if his offensive game never came around. UConn graduated all three of their starting front court players and doesn't have a lot of returning players. I bet David can give the Huskies some solid minutes off the bench, especially while their freshmen learn the game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2017 08:16PM by mountainred.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 16, 2017 03:12PM

mountainred
rss77

David was always a decent rebounder and shot blocker, even if his offensive game never came around. UConn graduated all three of their starting front court players and doesn't have a lot of returning players. I bet David can give the Huskies some solid minutes off the bench, especially while their freshman learn the game.
A good, smart defensive rotation player for a year is worth a roster spot.

Re: Men's Basketball (2017-2018) 0-1 start
Date: June 19, 2017 12:01PM

Cornell opens the season on the road, against Syracuse. Cornell is 0-22 vs. the Orange at the Carrier Dome. Men's Basketball To Open The 2017-18 Season At Syracuse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login