Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Andy Noel's contract extended 6 six years

Posted by Ken711 
Andy Noel's contract extended 6 six years
Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 06:54PM

[cornellbigred.com]

That should be enough time to build the indoor practice facility and West Stands at Schoellkopf I hope. whistle

Re: Andy Noel's contract extended 6 six years
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 08:14PM

Ken711
[cornellbigred.com]

That should be enough time to build the indoor practice facility and West Stands at Schoellkopf I hope. whistle

... to support the wrestling program.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:39PM

Chris '03
Ken711
[cornellbigred.com]

To be fair, they and polo are the only ones bringing home NCAA championships... whistle

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2016 09:47PM

Polo's not an NCAA-sanctioned championship, it's sponsored directly by the USPA.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 10:06PM

Trotsky
Chris '03
Ken711
[cornellbigred.com]

To be fair, they and polo are the only ones bringing home NCAA championships... whistle

Hold up right there. That just supports the comment. What a tidy piece of evidence that one program is favored. Why do you think CU Wrestling is the only program bringing home titles?? 18-years of direct extraordinary support from the guy at the top goes a long way. Maybe if OTHER programs had such custodianship... But hey, raise ticket prices more at Lynah and maybe the extremely necessary Friedman Center can have an expansion or something.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2016 10:23PM

RichH
Trotsky
Chris '03
Ken711
[cornellbigred.com]

Hold up right there. That just supports the comment. What a tidy piece of evidence that one program is favored. Why do you think CU Wrestling is the only program bringing home titles?? 18-years of direct extraordinary support from the guy at the top goes a long way. ...
Some of this is Andy but a lot of it is a Cornell wrestling alum who also happens to be a hedge fund billionaire. We have an elite coach - a former NCAA and world champ who is also a mensch - who gets to use a top-of-the-line standalone wrestling training facility in his pitch.

Tell Sancimino or Hynes or Hilbrich or whoever to go to Wall Street and send the money back to Lynah or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 10:23PM by ugarte.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 08:47AM

If a new building is what makes wrestling so good, maybe it's time for a Lynah II fund.

Part of what ails hockey (and lacrosse) is the expansion of D1 teams, and the long-term schools taking the sport more seriouisly. At some point we're going to play and lose to Arizona State. UNH and RPI already have. ASU has an optimistic late-March, early April calendar:

Posted by: CAS (---.sub-70-192-78.myvzw.com)
Date: December 01, 2016 10:04AM

It appears the Cornell administration didn't consider the poor performance over many years of some of our higher profile teams (such as football & basketball), or the inadequate state of some of our facilities (football), or the overpricing of tickets for hockey (single-game ticket prices raised this year).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2016 10:18AM

ugarte
Tell Sancimino or Hynes or Hilbrich or whoever to go to Wall Street and send the money back to Lynah or something.

Maybe they're on Canadian Wall Street! Young Street? I dunno.

I'm not sure I'd invest with the Sancimino Hedge Fund.

(Who am I kidding? OF COURSE I would! ;) )
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 10:19AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: December 07, 2016 05:09PM

ugarte
RichH
Trotsky
Chris '03
Ken711
[cornellbigred.com]

Hold up right there. That just supports the comment. What a tidy piece of evidence that one program is favored. Why do you think CU Wrestling is the only program bringing home titles?? 18-years of direct extraordinary support from the guy at the top goes a long way. ...
Some of this is Andy but a lot of it is a Cornell wrestling alum who also happens to be a hedge fund billionaire. We have an elite coach - a former NCAA and world champ who is also a mensch - who gets to use a top-of-the-line standalone wrestling training facility in his pitch.

I'm telling you, the key to getting an upgrade for your sport is having an athlete-alum strike it rich.

Date: December 07, 2016 05:45PM

ugarte
I'm telling you, the key to getting an upgrade for your sport is having an athlete-alum strike it rich.

I dunno. If you go out for crew, or polo, or alpine skiing, or fencing (sorry, Robb), you more than likely spent your formative years at Philips, Choate or Deerfield and you don't exactly have to strike it rich -- more likely just fall into a combination of inheritance and/or NY Times Nuptials (a.k.a., "Mergers & Acquisitions" ) . bolt
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 05:46PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: December 07, 2016 08:01PM

Trotsky
ugarte

Maybe they're on Canadian Wall Street! Young Street? I dunno.

I'm not sure I'd invest with the Sancimino Hedge Fund.

(Who am I kidding? OF COURSE I would! ;) )

Maybe Catherine White?

Posted by: cu155 (---.static.gorillaservers.com)
Date: December 07, 2016 10:04PM

Trotsky
I dunno. If you go out for crew, or polo, or alpine skiing, or fencing (sorry, Robb), you more than likely spent your formative years at Philips, Choate or Deerfield and you don't exactly have to strike it rich -- more likely just fall into a combination of inheritance and/or NY Times Nuptials (a.k.a., "Mergers & Acquisitions" ) . bolt

Ahem, that would be Phillips with a double l my good man ;)

In all seriousness though, there are a large number of varsity sports at Cornell that are self funded. Lightweight rowing being a prime example of a team that is self funded and also competitive.

Date: December 08, 2016 08:37AM

cu155
Trotsky

There are two of them (Andover and the other one, Exeter maybe?). Are they both "double l"? Do they both trace back to the same esteemed founder?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 08:40AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2016 10:11AM

Ken711
http://cornellbigred.com/news/2016/11/30/general-andy-noel-to-lead-the-big-red-for-six-more-years.aspx
I'm holding out for a 5,000-seat domed stadium. Leapfrog Harvard, Penn, Princeton with their seasonal bubbles covering the turf part of their stadiums. Five thousand would be enough for every soccer, sprint football or lacrosse match that isn't an NCAA regional.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2016 12:14PM

billhoward
Ken711
http://cornellbigred.com/news/2016/11/30/general-andy-noel-to-lead-the-big-red-for-six-more-years.aspx
I'm holding out for a 5,000-seat domed stadium. Leapfrog Harvard, Penn, Princeton with their seasonal bubbles covering the turf part of their stadiums. Five thousand would be enough for every soccer, sprint football or lacrosse match that isn't an NCAA regional.

Think they are focused on an indoor practice facility without seating.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 12:15PM by Ken711.

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: December 08, 2016 02:17PM

Trotsky
ugarte

I dunno. If you go out for crew...

My impression of crew from friends on the team is that a lot of college rowers are athletes who topped out in high school in their primary sport looking for something new to compete in. Seems right for polo and fencing though.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: December 08, 2016 03:52PM

ugarte

I'll start small: how about using some of the extra money from the Lynah ticket price hikes to restoring the hockey team's admin assistant position?

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2016 04:49PM

ugarte
My impression of crew from friends on the team is that a lot of college rowers are athletes who topped out in high school in their primary sport looking for something new to compete in. Seems right for polo and fencing though.

Back in the day, legend has it that 6'6" coach Stork Sanford would roam Barton Hall during registration to find athletic men he could look in the eye. He never recruited off campus and few of his rowers had prior experience. Things have changed - now most rowers are recruited and have either prep or high school experience. For example, in addition to the two parochial high school crews here in Rochester, three school districts have crew programs nominally affiliated with them. I think that more durable and cheaper carbon fiber shells make this possible. Olympians Meghan Musnicki (IC) and Henrik Rummel (sucks) got their starts here

Posted by: cu155 (199.244.112.---)
Date: December 08, 2016 09:07PM

Trotsky
cu155
Trotsky

There are two of them (Andover and the other one, Exeter maybe?). Are they both "double l"? Do they both trace back to the same esteemed founder?

At the risk of getting strung up by the ^ proletariat, yes both Phillips Exeter and Phillips Andover are double ll. There is a family connection as both were founded in the late 1700s by a newphew (Andover) and uncle (Exeter).

Boarding schools get a bad rap, but I have to say my experience at Exeter was overwhelmingly positive. The school has a massive endowment that it uses to help fund plenty of smart students who aren't flying to soccer games in a private helicopter. That said I'd never send one of my future children unless they wanted to go and were mature enough to handle it as the work load was far beyond anything I ever had to deal with at Cornell or in grad school.

Besides how else would I have learned to only wear seersucker between memorial day and labor day? rolleyes

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 07:06AM

George64
ugarte

Back in the day, legend has it that 6'6" coach Stork Sanford would roam Barton Hall during registration to find athletic men he could look in the eye. He never recruited off campus and few of his rowers had prior experience. Things have changed - now most rowers are recruited and have either prep or high school experience. For example, in addition to the two parochial high school crews here in Rochester, three school districts have crew programs nominally affiliated with them. I think that more durable and cheaper carbon fiber shells make this possible. Olympians Meghan Musnicki (IC) and Henrik Rummel (sucks) got their starts here

It wasn't legend, but fact that they roamed Barton. When I was a freshman the lightweight crew members tried to get me to go out for their team. I didn't highlight athletic men, as no one would consider me as athletic. The most I've ever done was long distance running for pleasure. However they certainly worked the registration lines.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2016 07:53PM

Jim Hyla
...no one would consider me as athletic. The most I've ever done was long distance running for pleasure.

What is this "long distance running for pleasure" you speak of?

Those of us from Ned's lacrosse teams never thought of it in those terms.screwy

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2016 07:56PM

RichH
ugarte

I'll start small: how about using some of the extra money from the Lynah ticket price hikes to restoring the hockey team's admin assistant position?

Hey Rich! Sue Detzer called....and she said..."THANKS!"

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 10:00PM

Jim Hyla
It wasn't legend, but fact that they roamed Barton. When I was a freshman the lightweight crew members tried to get me to go out for their team. I didn't highlight athletic men, as no one would consider me as athletic. The most I've ever done was long distance running for pleasure. However they certainly worked the registration lines.

Still went on in my day.

I'm 6'3". Standing in a line at some point during orientation, a crew member sidled up to me and said, "Have you thought about joining crew?"

I said, "I'm going to be in the marching band."

"Yeah, you don't have time," said he.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.164.---)
Date: December 22, 2016 04:33PM

No worries - coming out of a public high school in East Tennessee, I don't think there's much risk of being lumped in with that lot!

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2016 05:19PM

Scersk '97
Jim Hyla

Still went on in my day.

I'm 6'3". Standing in a line at some point during orientation, a crew member sidled up to me and said, "Have you thought about joining crew?"

I said, "I'm going to be in the marching band."

"Yeah, you don't have time," said he.

I can attest that in the mid-2000s, Women's Rowing coaches were using the Swim Test to scout athletic bodies to recruit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 05:20PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 10:13AM

Add Columbia to the list of Ivy schools that will have an indoor practice facility. Cornell has to get going on this to compete in recruiting.

[www.gocolumbialions.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login