Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse 2017

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous123 4 
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017
Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 10:22AM

mountainred
semsox
CU77
This move makes no sense at all. Who is going to take Milliman's old job for one year? What recruit is going to come under these circumstances?

Just start a search for a permanent head coach NOW!!!

I find the move bizarre as well. Not to say it can't or won't end well, but imagine a scenario where Milliman doesn't have the interim tag eventually removed. Not a pretty thought

I don't get it either. Milliman has been in Ithaca for four years. If you are convinced he's the right guy, give him the job. If not, start the search. I guess this could be a ploy to keep a pretty solid recruiting class together, but it could wreck havoc with the next two years. Sure seems like it has more ways to end badly than end well.

Maybe the AD has eyes on someone who's contract is ending within the next 12 months? Take a run at someone who we may be able to get? For example, Presslers contract at Bryant is up next year I believe.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2017 10:55AM

I'm always a bit skeptical when someone leaves a good position for amorphous reasons apparently without another job in hand. Kerwick and his family live in Skaneateles, about an hour from Ithaca in the best of circumstances, so that might figure in his decision. Still, there's a lot of young talent on this team and if they live up to expectations, it would relieve much of the pressure on him. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Posted by: CU77 (---.wireless.ucsb.edu)
Date: May 09, 2017 07:03PM

I suspect MK's contract was up (it's been 3 years since the interim tag was removed) and that he wanted another multiyear contract, but AN was only willing to go year by year. Sheer guesswork on my part, I have no actual info.

I don't believe there's a mystery candidate in 2018. I think AN is just being wishy-washy.

Pressler will not leave Bryant, and especially not for a place where the last two lax coaches' tenures have both come to mysterious ends ...

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2017 07:45PM

If you want to follow this discussion on Laxpower. The overwhelming majority of posts feel a coaching search should have begun now.

[network.laxpower.com]

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 10, 2017 02:00PM

mountainred
semsox
CU77
This move makes no sense at all. Who is going to take Milliman's old job for one year? What recruit is going to come under these circumstances?

I find the move bizarre as well. Not to say it can't or won't end well, but imagine a scenario where Milliman doesn't have the interim tag eventually removed. Not a pretty thought

I don't get it either. Milliman has been in Ithaca for four years. If you are convinced he's the right guy, give him the job. If not, start the search. I guess this could be a ploy to keep a pretty solid recruiting class together, but it could wreck havoc with the next two years. Sure seems like it has more ways to end badly than end well.

I don't find the recruiting-class argument convincing. New recruits are coming to Cornell for 4 years, so incoming recruits in 2017 there's only one year of certainty; with recruits still in the pipeline, there's four full years of uncertainty. If Cornell hired a new lacrosse coach this spring, like every other school/sport that loses its coach in the spring (due to firings, jumping jobs, or whatever), then we'd have a new coach in place by, say, July at the latest and eliminate all the uncertainty. Some recruits might still choose to go elsewhere, but it seems to me the likelihood of this is greater with an unknown coach coming in a year from now. If a coach search were underway right now for the 2018 season, I think most recruits would wait and see who the new coach is before jumping ship. If it's Tierney, they'd all probably stay and we might pick up a few more. If it's some schmo, they might all transfer. But the chance of some schmo being hired in a year is likely to scare off recruits even if the fear is unwarranted.

I'm not sure what role Milliman plays in all this. From what I've read, he's not the sort of guy who attracts recruits. But even if this is wrong and keeping him is necessary to retain recruits, then renew his contract as AC for a year or two but search for a new coach now.

Besides, I see nothing in AN's history that even suggests he takes into account the impact of a coaching change on already existing recruiting.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - NCAAs
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 07:21AM

Inside Lacrosse ranks the teams on odds of going all the way. Albany, not Maryland, is #1. Interesting: 2-seed Syracuse is only ranked 10th on odds of winning the title, 6-seed Hopkins is ranked 12th, 9-seed UNC is ranked 14th. Yale is essentially a pick-em vs. Syracuse (Sunday, 7:30), 49% odds of advancing. First column is IL's ranking on odds of winning the title. Second column is NCAA seeding.
Rank Seed Team             Championship Win Odds
1.    8.  Albany           12%
2.   11.  Duke             11%
3.    1.  Maryland         10% 
10.   2.  Syracuse          5%
11.  15.  Yale              5%

Note: In D-III, NCAA runner-up 2016 Tufts won its second round game over Keene (NH) State 26-24. A goal every 70 seconds.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 07:27AM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - NCAAs 1st round
Date: May 13, 2017 02:25PM

Saturday
First game, first upset: Towson 12, Penn State (7-seed) 8. Maybe Tambroni is jinxed come tourney time. Towson gets the Yale at Syracuse winner.
Second game, second upset: Duke 18, Hopkins (6-seed) 6 (9:18 to play). Final, 19-6. Maybe Cornell has become the cradle of one-and-done lax coaches.
Third game, 5-seed Denver beats Air Force, 17-10.
Night game, UNC, defending champ, at Albany. UNC gets the first goal, Albany rolls off 6 straight, UNC scores its second with :10 to play, Albany takes 6 seconds to get it back. Albany 7-2 after one. 14-3 at the half. UNC goalies 3 saves on 17 SOG. Third quarter, Albany attack disappears, no goals, UNC gets 6, 14-9 after three. Albany finally gets one goal late in the fourth and holds on, 15-12. Carolina puts on pressure in the second half and it was almost enough. Great game. Albany faces 1-seed Maryland assuming it doesn't fall to play-in winner Bryant Sunday.

Sunday
4-seed Notre Dame disposes of Marquette 15-9, plays 5-seed Denver.
1-seed Maryland only led Bryant 6-4 at the half, Maryland opened it up to 11-5 after three, Bryant closed a bit at the end, final 13-10. Maryland-Albany will be a key game next Sunday.
3-seed Ohio State leads Loyola 3-2 at the half, 6-4 after three, and a late goal makes it 7-4 final. Played at Ohio Stadium, capacity 104,944. Talk about optimism. On to play Duke Saturday.
2-seed Syracuse vs. Yale, Yale up 6-4 at the half, outshooting Syracuse about 3-1 (many shots at the corners, always backed up by Yale). Syracuse gets the game's last goal, wins 11-10. Yale had possession with a minute to go and 2 timeouts in hand, played on and lost the ball, Syracuse ran out the clock. Two points of note thinking of the Cornell-Syracuse 2009 title game (that never happened): Syracuse scored with less than 2 seconds to play at the end of the second and third, and at the end to protect the lead in the final seconds, Syracuse just tossed the ball up in the air, and by the time the ball came down (to Yale), there wasn't enough to do much of anything.
Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 09:49PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - NCAAs 1st round
Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2017 09:56PM

UNC almost blew a 9 goal lead last week and wouldnt even have gotten in and this week almost came back from an 11 goal deficit.. thats pretty crazy to have almost been outscored by 20 goals over 4 quarters and almost won both games.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - All-America
Date: May 16, 2017 09:34AM

Jeff Teat named honorable mention All-America (Media / Inside Lacrosse version). Pannell at this stage was third-team, but on a team headed to the NCAA title game in 2009.

Only first-team AA from the Ivies were Princeton middie Zach Currier and Brown LSM Larken Kemp. The second-team attack was all Ivy League: Ben Reeves, Yale; (freshman) Michael Sowers, Princeton; and reigning Tewaaraton winner Dylan Molloy, Brown.

Inside Lacrosse Media All-America Team [www.cornellbigred.com]
First Team
A-Connor Fields, Albany
A-Matt Rambo, Maryland
A-Pat Spencer, Loyola
M-Sergio Salcido, Syracuse
M-Zach Currier, Princeton
M-Connor Kelly, Maryland
FO-Trevor Baptiste, Denver
SSDM-Isaiah Davis-Allen, Maryland
LSM-Larken Kemp, Brown
D-Tim Muller, Maryland
D-Brendan Hynes, Richmond
D-Scott Firman, Syracuse
G-Benny Pugh, Richmond

Second Team
A-Ben Reeves, Yale
A-Michael Sowers, Princeton
A-Dylan Molloy, Brown
M-Nick Mariano, Syracuse
M-Sergio Perkovic, Notre Dame
M-Joel Tinney, Johns Hopkins
FO-TD Ierlan, Albany (from Victor NY, ranked 58 on IL Top 100 freshmen; same school as Cornell's Ryan Maloney, ranked 45).
SSDM-Zach Goodrich, Towson
LSM-John Sexton, Notre Dame
D-Ben Randall, Ohio State
D-Garrett Epple, Notre Dame
D-Nick Fields, Johns Hopkins
G-Jack Concannon, Hofstra

Third Team
A-Justin Guterding, Duke
A-Connor Cannizzaro, Denver
A-Tom Moore, Binghamton
M-Jake Froccaro, Villanova
M-Ryan Conrad, Virginia
M-Jack Curran, Villanova
FO-Jake Withers, Ohio State
SSDM-Jack Adams, Towson
LSM-Matt Rees, Navy
D-Austin Pifani, North Carolina
D-Jarrod Neumann, Providence
D-Michael Rexrode, Rutgers
G-Christian Carson-Banister, Boston U.

Honorable Mention
Attack: Josh Byrne, Hofstra; Jeff Teat, Cornell; Zed Williams, Virginia; Nick Aponte, Penn State; Chris Cloutier, North Carolina; Tre LeClaire, Ohio State

Midfield: Dox Aitken, Virginia; Eric Scott, Yale; Cal Dearth, Boston U.; Kyle McClancy, Albany; Brian Sherlock, Loyola

Face-Off: Ben Williams, Syracuse; Stephen Kelly, North Carolina; Gerard Arceri, Penn State

Shortstick D-Middie: Drew Schantz, Notre Dame; Tate Jozokos, North Carolina; Tyler Warner, Yale; Thomas Zenker, Duke

Longstick Middie: Chris Keating, Penn; Tyler Mayes, Towson; Matt Neufeldt, Maryland; Troy Reh, Albany; Craig Chick, Lehigh

Defense: Cade van Raaphorst, Duke; Christian Burgdorf, Denver; Chris Fennell, Navy; Alec Tulett, Brown; Chris Sabia, Penn State; Jack Carrigan, Loyola; Stone Sims, Albany

Goalie: Dan Morris, Maryland; Tom Carey, Ohio State; Jacob Stover, Loyola; Tate Boyce, Providence; Nick Hreshko, Monmouth

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - NCAAs quarterfinals
Date: May 20, 2017 01:11PM

Quarterfinals, Saturday:

3-seed Ohio State with 9 in the second taking it to Duke 9-4 (halftime). Despite a 6-3 fourth quarter, Duke falls 16-11. A matchup where it'd be nice for both teams to lose.

5-seed Denver jumps to an 8-1 halftime lead over 4-seed Notre Dame, wins 16-4.

Sunday:

Towson 10, 2-seed Syracuse 7. Factoid from the announcers: As a 1- or 2-seed, Syracuse has been taken down 5 of 6 times.

1-seed Maryland is pummeling Albany, 16-5 in the third. Final 18-9. Albany looked so explosive a week ago.

Next weekend, Towson vs. Ohio State, Denver vs. Maryland. I'm rooting for Cinderalla Towson.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2017 09:34PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.239.191.68.cl.cstel.com)
Date: May 22, 2017 01:19PM

billhoward
Quarterfinals, Saturday:

3-seed Ohio State with 9 in the second taking it to Duke 9-4 (halftime). Despite a 6-3 fourth quarter, Duke falls 16-11. A matchup where it'd be nice for both teams to lose.

5-seed Denver jumps to an 8-1 halftime lead over 4-seed Notre Dame, wins 16-4.

Sunday:

Towson 10, 2-seed Syracuse 7. Factoid from the announcers: As a 1- or 2-seed, Syracuse has been taken down 5 of 6 times.

1-seed Maryland is pummeling Albany, 16-5 in the third. Final 18-9. Albany looked so explosive a week ago.

Next weekend, Towson vs. Ohio State, Denver vs. Maryland. I'm rooting for Cinderalla Towson.

With all their 1 goal wins, SU was ready to lose. And they have no one to blame than themselves, with an overly aggressive first period leading to the loss.

Posted by: jeff '84 (64.74.86.---)
Date: May 22, 2017 02:29PM

Towson's goalie has a good knowledge of history, even though there is no record of the game to which he refers.

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

“You want to know? Honestly when I thought we had it, was when there was around :03 left and we had the ball,” Hoy said. “I started to get flashbacks of the Syracuse-Cornell championship [in 2009], when Syracuse came back to win. I was thinking in my head that could happen here today, and all of that anxiety left, finally, when coach Nads called a timeout with around :03 left."

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: May 23, 2017 11:51AM

jeff '84
Towson's goalie has a good knowledge of history, even though there is no record of the game to which he refers.

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

“You want to know? Honestly when I thought we had it, was when there was around :03 left and we had the ball,” Hoy said. “I started to get flashbacks of the Syracuse-Cornell championship [in 2009], when Syracuse came back to win. I was thinking in my head that could happen here today, and all of that anxiety left, finally, when coach Nads called a timeout with around :03 left."

What history? That never happened. whistle

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - All-America
Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: May 23, 2017 12:17PM

Damn all of you.

And it was :09 left.

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - All-America (USILA)
Date: May 24, 2017 05:54PM

Cornell freshman Jeff Teat is also an honorable mention All-America on the USILA team.
USILA story: [www.insidelacrosse.com]
Cornell story: [www.cornellbigred.com]

With USIULA, it's not quite the rarified company as the media / Inside Lacrosse AA team. USILA has for All-America at attack:
 4   first team (incluing Ben Reeves, Yale)
 3   second team
 4   third team
24   honorable mention (but just 1 HM goalie)
CornellBigRed.com
Teat is in rarified company, joining Paul Schimoler '89, Ryan McClay '03, Max Seibald '09, and Rob Pannell '13 as the only Big Red to be named All-American during their freshmen seasons.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2017 05:08AM

billhoward
Cornell freshman Jeff Teat is also an honorable mention All-America on the USILA team.
Teat was second in Division I in points per game, 4th in assists per game. Deserved better.

Date: May 25, 2017 06:11AM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Teat was second in Division I in points per game, 4th in assists per game. Deserved better.
Dylan Molloy of Brown took a tumble from Tewaarton winner to second team AA. Suggests a player on a winning team with a high national ranking tends to win more/better recognition: Molloy last year vs. this, freshmen Michael Sowers of Princeton vs. Teat this year, Rob Pannell (NCAA title game as a freshman) vs. Teat (Cornell didn't make Ivy playoffs).

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2017 08:29PM

Sources: Ben DeLuca to Be Named Delaware's Next Coach

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - NCAAs semifinals
Date: May 27, 2017 02:58PM

Tell me if you heard this one before: Underdog Towson builds up a goodly lead on #3 Ohio State. 7-3 at the half. Forgets to score much in second half. TOSU up 11-10 very late. Has to clear the ball in the last 10 seconds to win. Around midfield and sort of trapped, Ohio State player lofts the ball skyward, lands near Towson goal, time runs out. Ohio State, 11-10 final.

Maryland 9, Denver 8 in the second game. Both teams had goals waved off in the final 90 seconds, first Maryland then Denver in the last 10 seconds, both with the shooter landing in the crease.

For Cornell fans, can we root for either team? OK, Maryland has a Cornell coach, John Tillman '92. Starting in 1976 when Cornell beat the Terps 16-13 in OT (yes, you had to play a full OT period before sudden death), Maryland has been to the semis 20 times and the title game 9 times with no championships.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2017 05:30PM by billhoward.

Date: May 28, 2017 08:43AM

If the June 1 announcement of the Tewaaraton winner gives a chance for the finalists to showcase themselves in the championship weekend:

Denver's Trevor Baptiste, 11 of 21 on faceoffs. He had been winning 74% going into the quarterfinals.

Maryland's Matt Rambo, 1 goal, 1 assist.

The other three were gone before this weekend: Ben Reeves, Yale ... Connor Fields, Albany ... Pat Spencer, Loyola.

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 28, 2017 02:54PM

billhoward
For Cornell fans, can we root for either team? OK, Maryland has a Cornell coach, John Tillman '92. Starting in 1976 when Cornell beat the Terps 16-13 in OT (yes, you had to play a full OT period before sudden death), Maryland has been to the semis 20 times and the title game 9 times with no championships.
Have to root for Maryland, a fellow alum is their coach!

Yes it will mean Cornell becomes the team with the longest championship drought, but that's better (IMO) than having an interloper like OSU win (and I grew up in Ohio rooting for OSU football ...).

Re: Cornell lacrosse 2017 - NCAAs champsionship
Date: May 29, 2017 03:23PM

Maryland 9, Ohio State 6. First title for Maryland since 1975. At least there's a Cornellian as coach, John Tillman '91, as consolation for us.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2017 09:21PM

billhoward
Maryland 9, Ohio State 6. First title for Maryland since 1975. At least there's a Cornellian as coach, John Tillman '91, as consolation for us.

Can we throw money at him? Maybe have a chicken BBQ.
Appeal to his sense of alumnus loyalty??

whistle

Date: May 31, 2017 09:12AM

Johnny 5
billhoward
Can we throw money at him? Maybe have a chicken BBQ. Appeal to his sense of alumnus loyalty?? whistle
Tillman was hired away from Harvard. Reports at the time said he had a 7-year, $150,000 contract at Maryland. The Baltimore Sun in 2014 put Tillman's total compensation at $248,000. Not sure Cornell has that kind of money. [articles.baltimoresun.com] Maryland pays its best coaches quite well: The men's soccer coach had total comp of $399,000.

I believe OSU has the nation's highest athletics budget, $110 million as of a couple years ago, about $100,000 per athlete (3X what OSU spends on education per student). The Ohio State lax coach made $342,000 a year ago. The women's lax coach $256,000. The hockey coach made $364,000. [www.cleveland.com]

No matter how much you love Cornell, if you have kids who want to go to college, a quarter-million a year builds that college fund pretty quickly.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2017 11:34PM

Swampy
mountainred
semsox
CU77

I don't find the recruiting-class argument convincing. New recruits are coming to Cornell for 4 years, so incoming recruits in 2017 there's only one year of certainty; with recruits still in the pipeline, there's four full years of uncertainty. If Cornell hired a new lacrosse coach this spring, like every other school/sport that loses its coach in the spring (due to firings, jumping jobs, or whatever), then we'd have a new coach in place by, say, July at the latest and eliminate all the uncertainty. Some recruits might still choose to go elsewhere, but it seems to me the likelihood of this is greater with an unknown coach coming in a year from now. If a coach search were underway right now for the 2018 season, I think most recruits would wait and see who the new coach is before jumping ship. If it's Tierney, they'd all probably stay and we might pick up a few more. If it's some schmo, they might all transfer. But the chance of some schmo being hired in a year is likely to scare off recruits even if the fear is unwarranted.

I'm not sure what role Milliman plays in all this. From what I've read, he's not the sort of guy who attracts recruits. But even if this is wrong and keeping him is necessary to retain recruits, then renew his contract as AC for a year or two but search for a new coach now.

Besides, I see nothing in AN's history that even suggests he takes into account the impact of a coaching change on already existing recruiting.
This story in the Ithaca Journal suggests that he can recruit.

In his time at Cornell as an assistant, Milliman has taken on a big role as the recruiting coordinator. Those efforts have paid off handsomely.

Milliman brought in the first ever No. 1 Inside Lacrosse prospect, Jeff Teat, who just finished 2017 as the highest scoring freshman in program history with 72 points, passing Rob Pannell ’13. Teat was ranked the No. 3 freshman at the mid-season point this year, behind TD Ierlan of Albany and eventual Ivy League Rookie of the Year Michael Sowers of Princeton. Fellow Cornellian Brandon Salvatore came in at No. 12 on that list.
Milliman acknowledges the need to "close it out in tough situations," but expresses the hope that the veterans will be able "to impart their wisdom to hopefully flip games like Virginia and Penn."

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 10, 2017 10:20PM

[cornellbigred.com]

Connor Buczek ’15 Promoted To Men’s Lacrosse Assistant Coach

Date: June 19, 2017 10:35AM

scoop85
Johnny 5
Mike being a notable exception, when all a program does is lose, at whose feet is the blame typically placed? Perception is reality?? (God, I hate that expression.)
I wonder, has Rob Pannell ever expressed an interest in coaching?!
whistle
Interesting thought, but great players accross the sports spectrum often turn out to be poor coaches.
Perhaps Connor Buczek '15 has the potential to be Cornell's coach of the future. He is the B-school rarity who went straight from undergraduate to Johnson School without work experience in between, was volunteer assistant those two years, and now is a full-time assistant. [www.cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.120.---)
Date: August 05, 2017 08:00PM

At least our star sophomore is having a productive summer! Apparently "junior" lacrosse isn't comparable to junior hockey, since NCAA hockey players can't play junior hockey during the offseason, but apparently NCAA lacrosse players can.

Posted by: jeff '84 (64.74.86.---)
Date: August 07, 2017 02:51PM

Recruiting: Top 10 Breakthrough Players of Summer 2017

John Piatelli ’17, A, St. Sebastian’s (Mass.) / Laxachusetts - Cornell

Piatelli had a massive spring, scoring 60 goals and 72 assists for St. Sebastian’s en route to an 18-3 record. He was named a US Lacrosse All-American and a first team USA Today National Team selection. Piatelli thrives as a playmaker from behind the cage, so deft in dodging and either finishing or assisting at GLE. He’s had one of the more meteoric rises of any outgoing high school senior and is expected to compete for playing time right away once he gets to Ithaca.

With link to a brief highlight:
[www.insidelacrosse.com]

Page: Previous123 4 
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login