Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell basketball coaching search

Posted by Ken711 
Cornell basketball coaching search
Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2016 10:19AM

Cornell coaching search info.

I have heard from a great source that on-campus interviews are underway at Cornell in the search to replace Bill Courtney. The three names that I have heard here are: Billy Taylor (assistant coach Iowa / former head coach Ball State and Lehigh), Brian Earl (associate head coach Princeton), and Tom Billeter (head coach Augustana / DII National Champions). There may also be 1-2 more coaches making campus visits. It sounds like the interviews will be wrapped up by the end of the week.

[hoopdirt.com]

Re: Cornell basketball coaching search
Posted by: underskill (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2016 04:53PM

Brian Earl is official per the Score.

Posted by: jkahn (---.whitingcorp.com)
Date: April 18, 2016 05:13PM

underskill
Brian Earl is official per the Score.
and per Cornell.
[cornellbigred.com]
and The Cornell Daily Sun.
[cornellsun.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2016 05:16PM by jkahn.

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.6.---)
Date: April 18, 2016 07:23PM

Interesting. No question Brian knows the Ivy League. You have to assume he's bringing the Princeton system with him and it will be interesting to see how this roster adapts.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2016 08:57PM

mountainred
Interesting. No question Brian knows the Ivy League. You have to assume he's bringing the Princeton system with him and it will be interesting to see how this roster adapts.
Just having a "system--any system--will be a pleasant change. I don't recall Cornell basketball ever playing a "system."

Posted by: mountainred (50.110.6.---)
Date: April 18, 2016 09:36PM

Al DeFlorio
mountainred
Just having a "system--any system--will be a pleasant change. I don't recall Cornell basketball ever playing a "system."

C'mon Donahue hasn't been gone that long. But over the last six years, not so much.

To steal a line from Jeff Richmond (or Kimmy Schmidt), this is going to be a fascinating transition.

Date: April 18, 2016 09:52PM

mountainred
Al DeFlorio
mountainred

C'mon Donahue hasn't been gone that long. But over the last six years, not so much.

To steal a line from Jeff Richmond (or Kimmy Schmidt), this is going to be a fascinating transition.
Donahue didn't have a system. He had three terrific players who knew how to play. Prior to their arrival, it was clear there was no system.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.static.longislandfiberexchange.net)
Date: April 19, 2016 03:46PM

that's bs...say what you will about his ability to win w/o those top 3 guys, but his teams always featured a two-guard, motion offense with a wing playing up high. To the extent that it is probably too predictable, SD loves attacking the lane, swinging a good passing 5 up to the top of the key, and setting up stand-still 3s. The knock on him is far less that he doesn't have a system and much more that 1) he doesn't get the improvised movement that great read & react / motion offenses need and 2) he's not the most amazing recruiter (which means he is not as good of a coach as John Beilein, a fact that shouldn't shock anyone). Just because a system works better when your 3 shoots 40%+ from deep rather than under 30%, doesn't mean that it's not a system.

Date: April 19, 2016 05:14PM

mgl11
that's bs...say what you will about his ability to win w/o those top 3 guys, but his teams always featured a two-guard, motion offense with a wing playing up high. To the extent that it is probably too predictable, SD loves attacking the lane, swinging a good passing 5 up to the top of the key, and setting up stand-still 3s. The knock on him is far less that he doesn't have a system and much more that 1) he doesn't get the improvised movement that great read & react / motion offenses need and 2) he's not the most amazing recruiter (which means he is not as good of a coach as John Beilein, a fact that shouldn't shock anyone). Just because a system works better when your 3 shoots 40%+ from deep rather than under 30%, doesn't mean that it's not a system.
That's BS...say what you will but I saw no system. Pete Carril at Princeton had a system. Joe Vancisin at Yale had a system in the 60s. You could watch them execute it like clockwork. If you think Donahue had a system, that's OK with me. I didn't see it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2016 05:27PM

Al DeFlorio
mgl11
That's BS...say what you will but I saw no system. Pete Carril at Princeton had a system. Joe Vancisin at Yale had a system in the 60s. You could watch them execute it like clockwork. If you think Donahue had a system, that's OK with me. I didn't see it.

I think the problem is that it's hard to say you have a system, if the players can't execute it. At least it won't look like much of a system.

Also, although it's not absolutely part of a game system, if you can't recruit players to fit your plan, do you have a system?

Date: April 20, 2016 02:21PM

Nice article on the hiring process of the new head coach.

[cornellsun.com]

Date: April 20, 2016 04:08PM

As long as we're talking about systems:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 10:17PM

Ken711
[cornellsun.com]
Is this the same Andy Noel who's the official eLynah pinata? From reading the Sun story, you'd think Noel knows what he's doing, big time.

My best recall of Noel is at the Sweet Sixteen basketball game up at the Carrier Dome in 2010. The Cornell will-call line is screwed up, there aren't enough people staffing them, there is a huge snaking line of Cornell fans, it's getting close to gametime, and freezing rain is falling. Rather than head inside and dry off, Noel grabs a sheaf of tickets for the players' families, hikes around outside, finds parents and family, and hands them out individually. He could have blown it off completely or he could have handed them to someone junior to him, but Noel did it himself.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 10:24PM

billhoward
Ken711
[cornellsun.com]
Is this the same Andy Noel who's the official eLynah pinata? From reading the Sun story, you'd think Noel knows what he's doing, big time.

My best recall of Noel is at the Sweet Sixteen basketball game up at the Carrier Dome in 2010. The Cornell will-call line is screwed up, there aren't enough people staffing them, there is a huge snaking line of Cornell fans, it's getting close to gametime, and freezing rain is falling. Rather than head inside and dry off, Noel grabs a sheaf of tickets for the players' families, hikes around outside, finds parents and family, and hands them out individually. He could have blown it off completely or he could have handed them to someone junior to him, but Noel did it himself.

The fact that the will call line was screwed up is pretty typical of this era and more telling than a guy trying to make up for bad management of an important game. Also, I have multiple stories recalls on how he's a dick.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 10:34PM by RichH.

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2016 08:07AM

Let's wait till we see how Brian Earl does, before congratulating Andy on the search. Some of his recent coaching selections have obviously not worked out (i.e. Courtney, Archer).

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 09:21PM

why was there any cornell will call line at all? its an hour away they could have easily moved the tickets to ithaca where the majority of the people were coming from and let the rest come back to syracuse before the box office opened that day.. many people like me just bought them online and printed them.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2016 08:20PM

Cornell basketball bringing in a single recruit for this fall.

Date: June 30, 2016 12:26PM

The lone recruit: Josh Warren, who brings something that can't be coached: He's 6-foot-8. [www.cornellbigred.com]

Date: June 30, 2016 01:20PM

I think Earl will also want to re-think the recruiting based on the system he'll use. Kind of makes sense to bring in more recruits next year once he has a season in hand.

Posted by: jek86 (38.119.57.---)
Date: June 30, 2016 02:28PM

billhoward
The lone recruit: Josh Warren, who brings something that can't be coached: He's 6-foot-8. [www.cornellbigred.com]

what happened to the other recruits in this class?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2016 03:44PM

jek86
billhoward

I believe the only other recruit was Jerry Ben -- someone posted on the Cornell Basketball Blog Forum that he'd heard some time ago that Ben wasn't coming to Cornell, but he didn't know why.

Posted by: CAS (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: July 01, 2016 02:45PM

Guess we'll see what Brian Earl can do inheriting a 3-11 Ivy team, with only a single recruit.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2016 07:49PM

Well if he can institute any semblance of an offensive or defensive scheme, I'd say .500 or so

Date: July 05, 2016 08:33AM

CAS
Cornell basketball bringing in a single recruit for this fall.
New meaning to "one and done"

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: July 06, 2016 05:16PM

scoop85
jek86
billhoward

I believe the only other recruit was Jerry Ben -- someone posted on the Cornell Basketball Blog Forum that he'd heard some time ago that Ben wasn't coming to Cornell, but he didn't know why.
Looks like he's doing a prep school year. Source says he's committed to Cornell for 2017.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: July 10, 2016 02:48PM

ugarte
scoop85
jek86
billhoward

Looks like he's doing a prep school year. Source says he's committed to Cornell for 2017.

Ben is an interesting recruit. He is from Port Harcourt, Nigeria, and is fairly new to basketball; he played soccer almost exclusively as a child. [www.freep.com] An extra year at prep school is probably a very good thing athletically and couldn't hurt academically. Still, if he really improves and starts getting interest from power conferences, you have to worry that the commitment holds. (That's not a slam on Ben, just the reality of the recruiting game.)

Considering how hot the seat was under BC last season, a small class is not a surprise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login